Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427603 times)

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1350 on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »
Hey guys,
I went a little nuts off-plan (too much wine -->too much other stuff), but I'm getting back to the aggressive meal planning and prepping, so I expect this week will be mostly clean. Cooked lots of meat and veggies. I'm fine with incorporating some cheese, rice, wine. Working on finding a balance...I don't want to do a 'cheat day' because I like to take advantage of occasional free food at work; I'd rather spread my indulgences out over the week.

My weight did bounce back up, but I bet I'll lose a couple pounds of bloat if I keep it clean. Might try for a Whole7+rice next week (since I already have rice in this week's meal plan). Not really getting killed by sugar cravings, but I have had some sweets due to dessert-inclusive restaurant meals, plus bits of chocolate at home. Also made the poor choice of buying a box of wine, so now I *have* to drink it. In the future I'll stick to bottles/small boxes so I can drink sporadically without pressure.

Right now one of my challenges is finding a morning pre-workout meal/snack, since Sunday I'm doing a marathon relay in the morning. Going to TRY to wake up early once this week to test out a shake...probably coconut (or almond) milk + protein powder (the fancy collagen stuff) + cocoa powder + banana.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1351 on: April 28, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
I made it through Day 10-11 while going to a Seder dinner and a BBQ.

Now I'm trying to decide what to make for the week, thinking burgers or dinner and a chicken thigh slow cooker stew.

MsoSam - Excellent! It only gets easier. On another topic....I had a little road trip to Mpls yesterday for work and when I stopped in at Whole Foods, I was thinking of asking everyone if they were MgoSam....but I thought that might be too weird.  :-) 

Hey guys,
I went a little nuts off-plan (too much wine -->too much other stuff), but I'm getting back to the aggressive meal planning and prepping, so I expect this week will be mostly clean. Cooked lots of meat and veggies.

rawr237 - Meal planning is where it's at!  Makes a huge difference for what I eat. Good job recognizing that you went 'a little nuts' and for making changes.

I'm settling into my plan pretty well so far.  My meals at home have been completely Whole30, except for the occasional cheese with my eggs in the morning.  I'll add a little once in a while to change it up.  Otherwise, I'm still completely off sugar (which was REALLY hard yesterday with my road trip). On the occasional restaurant outing, I'm choosing to enjoy my food, but I have also found that I'm making better choices in general too. 

This weekend I finally got off my butt and did some Combat exercise videos.  It felt really great, so I need to remember that feeling (other than the sore muscles) and keep going. I'm so looking forward to summer and being able to go for more walks.

Hope everyone else is doing great! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1352 on: April 28, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the radio silence, hubs finally got a bit of time off of work so haven't been online much.

How is everyone feeling? All the sickness over?

Great to hear from you Orvell - so great you were able to help your mom out by making her some healthy food!

We have been trucking along. We did end up going out for brunch. Luckily there were plenty of healthy options. I still splurged and mixed some of their awesome chocolate mousse into my coffee and super enjoyed it. I did try a bit on it's own, but I couldn't choke it down, too sweet! Stuffed myself, totally enjoyed it but don't really have any urge to do it again anytime soon. I consider it a win :)

We have relaxed a little bit, I've been making Quinoa to supplement hubby's lunches and I'll occasionally have a bit. Otherwise still eating on plan at home and much, much better if we have to go out.

Yesterday I made a great big batch of veggie korma with roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potato, and  spinach was yummer!

How is everyone doing?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1353 on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »
I"m starting it again tonight/tomorrow. Technically tomorrow, but I never want to put off until tomorrow anything as it makes it less likely to happen.

During the week I plan to continue eating eggs, bacon, avo, and veggies. Lunch will be a shredded chicken with vegetables, and dinner will be an Indian chicken. My concern is the weekend, on Saturday I'm going to go to a restaurant and I want to make sure I have a plan. It's a very fine American restaurant and my friend likes to go there and sit at the bar for the bar menu, which is a limited menu of items at a more modest price. It is very limited, but I was thinking of just requesting a burger with avocado, take out the non-compliant foods and extra vegetables. I'm guessing they will be accommodating, what do you think?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1354 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
I"m starting it again tonight/tomorrow. Technically tomorrow, but I never want to put off until tomorrow anything as it makes it less likely to happen.

How are you doing, MgoSam?

I've been trucking along. I think I'm eating about 90% compliant these days. My mom gifted me a bag of gluten-free pretzels, which are actually tasty, so I have been slowly working my way through  the bag.

I had a girls weekend at a fancy lodge with my sister last weekend, and except for a bit of cheese, a bit of sugar and probably too much alcohol, we did surprisingly well. We had a kitchen in our room and brought a cooler full of salad and fixings, hard boiled eggs, cooked sausages, homemade turkey soup, a rotisserie chicken, asparagus. We did splurge on one restaurant meal that her work paid for so had a lovely steak, baked potato, and veggies. Damn we ate well!

Back on whole 30 for the next couple of weeks before Camp Mustache, will probably relax a little for that, but still planning on packing some healthy and compliant stuff to take with us.

How is everyone doing? Anyone currently on the Whole 30? How is everyone else finding life? Noticing any lasting changes or new habits or ways of being?

jordanread

« Reply #1355 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
How is everyone doing? Anyone currently on the Whole 30? How is everyone else finding life? Noticing any lasting changes or new habits or ways of being?

I still haven't gone back to do a full Whole30, but my eating has somehow accidentally been more compliant. As of a few months ago, I started drinking my coffee black, but not necessarily for health reasons. I drink so much coffee that I liked the idea of making milk and sweetener a special occasion. I've adjusted pretty well to just drinking it black, and it makes those rare instances of drinking it with stevia and creamer so much better. Also, the SO and I just managed to slowly start phasing out cheese, but that's mostly because the dishes we've been making don't require them. I know that dairy (and more strict sugar limiting) were the only major changes when I made my earlier attempt, and the SO lost a couple of pounds over the course of it. So it might turn out to be beneficial to her.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1356 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

How are you doing, MgoSam?

Thanks or checking in, I didn't actually start. I thought about it and realized I simply didn't have my heart into it. I'm eating largely compliant foods during the week and am working up on shoring up my weekends, but I don't think I'll go through Whole30 for quite some time.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1357 on: May 11, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
In news that will shock no one...
I FELL INTO A SUGAR HOLE.
It sucks.
It was precipitated by a lot of free food and gift cards to restaurants and cafes.

BUT.
I'm gonna snap myself out of my funke! Clearly my sugar hole of the last few weeks means... it's time to do another Whole30!
Going to start tomorrow. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1358 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »
Day 1
Breakfast today: two fried eggs and spinach.
Breakfast yesterday: a bowl of chocolate covered pretzels.

The sugar hangover is gonna suck this time, dudes.

jordanread

« Reply #1359 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »
Day 1

What have you decided as far as supplements go?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1360 on: May 12, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
Day 1

What have you decided as far as supplements go?
I started doing research, went AHHHHH, and promptly gave up.
Current plan: just make sure to drink loads of water and maybe try drinking broth for magical electrolyte rebalancing.
Suggestions?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1361 on: May 12, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »
Yay for updates!

Looks like you have some great maintenance habits, Jordanread! It is truly amazing how sweet things are when you have cut out the sugar and reintroduce it! Luckily for me, I was pretty turned off instead of falling back into the sugar cravings. I'm not quite at the black coffee stage (unless it is really good coffee) I like getting the healthy fats from the coconut milk/oil I blend in.

MgoSam - How are you finding the eating well on the week days and  relaxing it on the weekends?  Do you find it easy to go back and forth?

Good luck with your next round, Orvell! I'd join you if we weren't headed on vacation soon. Still planning on packing a lot of our own food, and will be eating complaint for the next couple of weeks until we go.

Sometimes, it is so damn hard! Apparently my usually trusted, locally made sausages have gotten a recipe rework to include gluten which isn't on the label. Last night was not fun.  I'm tired and sore and cranky-pants. All my joints hurt, I didn't sleep last night.

This morning I'm nursing my buzzed coffee and trying to psych myself up for going for a hike with some friends and the pups. Really, I just want to crawl back into bed.

Hope everyone have a great day!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1362 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »
MgoSam - How are you finding the eating well on the week days and  relaxing it on the weekends?  Do you find it easy to go back and forth?

I've been liking it, though I'm working on eating better on the weekends. It helps that during the summer there are a ton of grill-outs, and it isn't hard to bring some patties for myself and lettuce to use as a bun. I do get bored with what I'm eating during the week, but I'm getting better about that as well.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1363 on: May 14, 2016, 05:53:48 AM »
Day 3

I find myself being a titch more flexible this time around, while adhering to the core fundamentals. For example, the sausage I'm eating (a local brand) contains "less than 2% brown sugar." During my first Whole30 I wouldn't have bought it. Now I'm concentrating less on maximum food 'purity' and more on... just changing my habits re: sweets, snacks, and baked goods. That said, my goal will always be zero sugar in foods-- I'm just more willing than last time to make exceptions.

I am also drinking a mug or two of broth every day-- a tip suggested by SailorSam who is dropping back into her keto diet (while on a ship. Poor thing). In theory this helps balance electrolytes and makes the transition from Typical American Diet to Other Diet easier.
Totally hard to tell if it's working... but broth is yummy! XD So the risks are pretty low. ;P

Maybe it is, though? So far my Sugar Hangover has been far milder than I expected. It was definitely worse my first go-around, and I arguably ate much poorer before this one than that. >__>;

Last night I had Indian to-go dinner with friends. I think I managed to stay on-plan but there were likely some oils that weren't. On the whole, though, Indian food is a pretty good choice, imo. I had chicken bharta which is eggplant based (no beans or dairy). I just gave away my rice and passed on the (delicious looking) coconut naan. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1364 on: May 14, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
Day 3

I find myself being a titch more flexible this time around, while adhering to the core fundamentals. For example, the sausage I'm eating (a local brand) contains "less than 2% brown sugar." During my first Whole30 I wouldn't have bought it. Now I'm concentrating less on maximum food 'purity' and more on... just changing my habits re: sweets, snacks, and baked goods. That said, my goal will always be zero sugar in foods-- I'm just more willing than last time to make exceptions.

I am also drinking a mug or two of broth every day-- a tip suggested by SailorSam who is dropping back into her keto diet (while on a ship. Poor thing). In theory this helps balance electrolytes and makes the transition from Typical American Diet to Other Diet easier.
Totally hard to tell if it's working... but broth is yummy! XD So the risks are pretty low. ;P

Maybe it is, though? So far my Sugar Hangover has been far milder than I expected. It was definitely worse my first go-around, and I arguably ate much poorer before this one than that. >__>;

Last night I had Indian to-go dinner with friends. I think I managed to stay on-plan but there were likely some oils that weren't. On the whole, though, Indian food is a pretty good choice, imo. I had chicken bharta which is eggplant based (no beans or dairy). I just gave away my rice and passed on the (delicious looking) coconut naan. :)

I was wrong, kids.
The sugar hangover... has begun.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1365 on: May 14, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
Sorry about that sugar hangover, Orvell.  Sounds like a good approach if you can find the right amount of flexibility.

I totally didn't start last time I said I would.  Work has been crazy and I didn't have the wherewithal to concentrate on my diet much.  Way too much beer, but I'm getting back on track now.  I'm trying to do a Whole30/Slow Carb diet hybrid, since I'd like to lose 10 pounds by end of summer, and preferably by mid-July. I originally wanted to lose the weight before I start my new horse under saddle in the fall, but that was apparently not quite enough motivation.  Now it's fairly hot already, and I want the definition in my arms back for sleeveless shirt weather, so vanity is pushing my motivation level over the top. 

This allows the flexibility of one cheat day per week, and beans and red wine are allowed.  Last night I made a nice white bean salad inspired by tabbouleh, along with grilled salmon and asparagus.  Tonight I'm planning to make a beef coconut curry and jicama slaw.  No dairy except cottage cheese (emergency breakfast) and no fruit except a couple grapefruits per week.  Lots of green soup and lots of salads.  TG for the Instant Pot for cooking all these beans.

Also stepping up my workouts now that the work craziness has died down and I don't have to travel for at least a month, so hopefully I'll be seeing my delts and tris in the mirror again soon.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »
Orvell - Push through the feeling like crap! You can do it! I love, love, love a cup of bone broth :) I usually add some Real Salt to it for the extra electrolyte supporting goodness.

Hubs has been struggling a bit, and is actually sniffiling and sick (this guy never gets sick) but he's been putting in some long hours at work doing some really boring training and has been partaking of the pastries and other sugary crap to keep himself awake.  He is totally aware of what is making him feel like crap and is determined to lay off the sweets again. I'm sure it won't be fun for him either.

I am soooo stoked that our Farmer's market is starting today! Farmer's Market might be a bit of a stretch it is really more of an "arts and crafts" market...but there is a new organic veggie farm coming who just started their business. I'm popping down to meet them and discuss some biz dev help in exchange for some free veggies!

I'm finding it really interesting how everyone is adapting the whole 30 to an actual lifestyle. What things people are bringing back in, doing a "day off"

Like Orvell, I have been more about not maintaining the rules 100% but working on the lifestyle habits. That pretty much mean eating whole 30 but not worrying about trace sugar, or having the occasional dairy (I know exactly what will happen to my body if I do, so I can decide if it is worth it for me) The occasional bowl of Pho, with rice noodles happens, usually when we go out for dinner with friends. I haven't noticed any ill effects from rice, other then it being high in carb and if I eat too much over too many days in a row I bloat up a bit.

Still trying to stay away from gluten/wheat 100% since I feel so utterly crappy. Some days it is easy, some days it absolutely sucks. I find myself wanting it less and less though.

One thing I have noticed is if I indulge in alcohol/sugar/carbs I gain a massive amount of water weight almost immediately. like 5 lbs over a weekend. It takes about a week of clean eating with the scale not budging then I'll loose all of it and a TINY bit more fat weight.  Very interesting to see. Thinking having to re-lose the water weight has significantly slowed my weight loss efforts. Its surprising how only a couple of meals makes a big difference! But, I'm still trucking along and feeling pretty good overall, so onward and downward :)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
I'm finding it really interesting how everyone is adapting the whole 30 to an actual lifestyle. What things people are bringing back in, doing a "day off"

I'm trying pretty deliberately to avoid eating carb-heavy things on the whole. Sometimes, still good, but I have done a pretty good job over the past month of reducing that intake significantly.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1368 on: May 14, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »

I'm trying pretty deliberately to avoid eating carb-heavy things on the whole. Sometimes, still good, but I have done a pretty good job over the past month of reducing that intake significantly.

Me too, but then I have those days where damn it, I just want something approximating normal - so I try yet another gluten-free yet high carb recipe that doesn't really do it for me.  One day I will just feel the need to stop trying.

I have been having a bit of a struggle because I had a bad skin reaction to some nuts...the same one my mom got...so I definitely haven't been eating many and I have to do some experimenting to find out what is actually the issue there.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1369 on: May 14, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
One thing that Whole30 has taught me is that I can eat healthy and still eat really good. For instance, I wouldn't have thought to use lettuce as a burger bun, but it doesn't take any flavor away and it makes it loads healthier. The only downside is that it will be messier, but to someone that plays with his food, it makes it more fun (perhaps I still need to grow up?).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
One thing that Whole30 has taught me is that I can eat healthy and still eat really good. For instance, I wouldn't have thought to use lettuce as a burger bun, but it doesn't take any flavor away and it makes it loads healthier. The only downside is that it will be messier, but to someone that plays with his food, it makes it more fun (perhaps I still need to grow up?).

I prefer this combination!

I've started eating brats/hamburgers/etc bunless on my plate and if you can get over the "not eating with your hands" thing it's great.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1371 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
If growing up means not eating with your hands, I hope I never grow up ;)

Here is breakfast after visiting the Farmers Market. The couple from the new Organic farm are lovely, I'm really going to enjoy helping them out!

jordanread

« Reply #1372 on: May 16, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »

I usually enjoy lettuce wrapped BBQ food. However, I'm going to be getting a smoker soon, and I really want to do smoked burgers, and use portabella caps as buns. It seems amazing, and I haven't gotten to try it yet.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1373 on: May 16, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »

I usually enjoy lettuce wrapped BBQ food. However, I'm going to be getting a smoker soon, and I really want to do smoked burgers, and use portabella caps as buns. It seems amazing, and I haven't gotten to try it yet.

That sounds divine! I have a grill but hardly ever use it, but this should soon change as I have re-discovered how much I love a good burger.

InsertFullNameHere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1374 on: May 16, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
Breakfast today was eggs scrambled with fresh arugula and tomato paste, then my snack was (on-sale) blackberries dipped in cashew butter. Brings a new meaning to MMM!

Also, dinner tonight: spaghetti squash in homemade chicken stock topped with avocado, maybe more arugula on the side (hey, it needs to be eaten up soon...)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:59:12 PM by InsertFullNameHere »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1375 on: May 17, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
In news that will shock no one...
I FELL INTO A SUGAR HOLE.

You obviously didn't fill in that hole, because I happened to find it too!

I was doing quite well with my hybrid approach after completing my last round of Whole30 in mid-April, but then life happened again.  It's baseball and soccer season so being home to actually eat supper is becoming very hard. On top of that, I had a family health emergency (with a siblings spouse) and as a result I have some family living with me off and on for a while to help with doctor appointments, etc. (Everything is turning out ok, which I'm so thankful for!) My time to plan and prep meals is almost non-existent.  The bloating, headaches, sugar highs/crashes are really starting to wear on me, and it's only been 2 weeks of eating 'poorly'. I need to take some baby steps this weekend and get back to planning/prepping. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
My downfall is pasta.  Lots and lots of pasta.  And I'm not even Italian.

Whole30 is calling me again.  I felt really good during my first one and really didn't find it that hard.  This Sunday looks like a good day to begin again ...

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #1377 on: May 19, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
Hi all,  just spent the past week reading through this thread.  Tremendous results for so many of you!  Congratulations!  And you all have amassed a great collection of recipes throughout the thread.  I've really enjoyed seeing how everyone supports everyone's efforts. 

I did 4 Whole30s in 2013 and felt great.  I have autoimmune issues and it really calmed my inflammation.  But slowly I started slipping in some sugar.  Then, my dad passed away and I was diagnosed with SIBO, cue out-of-control sugar/carb cravings and eating.  After doing the SIBO antibiotic treatments and 4 months on the FODMAP diet in 2015, I feel better, but still not great.  I eat paleo for 90% of my meals (I have Celiac and other food intolerances, so it's an easy decision). BUT the sugar dragon is bad.  So, I'm on Day 4 of Whole 30 #5 wanting to get my health more on track.  Have been eating lots of fat and the carb cravings are already so much better.  Thank you for serving as inspiration to get back on the horse.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1378 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Ok,

After a month of eating crap and wanting to eat more crap, I'm ready to do WHole30 again. I would love advice from people here so as to not fail again. Here is my current plan for eating during the week

Breakfast: Eggs, avocado, vegetables
Lunch: Shredded chicken breast with hot sauce, mixed greens
Dinner: Need help there, I am planning to make a chicken stew with indian spices in my slow cooker, I prefer making slow cooker meals on Sunday for lunch and dinner.

Snacks- nuts, tea, RXbars

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1379 on: May 19, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
Awesome to have you here, Life in Balance!

It sounds like you have had a huge amount of issues to overcome but are taking great strides to support yourself. That is great! I hope we can serve as a source of support and inspiration!

MandalayVA - How is it going? Did you start your next round of whole 30?

Mom22boys - good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the family health emergency. Hopefully, you are all doing better. I think all you can do at times like those is the best you can do, without any guilt. It is utterly amazing how just after a couple of weeks of poor eating your body can be so affected. The comfort eating is a really hard one; it seems like such a good solution at the time, or your not even thinking about it at all, but what happens to your body makes it even worse. Ugh. I'm waiting for the day I will turn to carrot sticks for comfort :)

One thing I have found really helps is I keep an emergency stash of super dark, stupidly fancy chocolate on hand. Like the kind you buy from a shop dedicated to the finest chocolates, yeah not mustachian, but whatever.

If I'm having a really, really hard day, I turn it into a meditation.I find a quite comfortable spot,  I go through the whole ritual of unpackaging it (they always wrap them super pretty, I imagine that is part of the cost) I breathe in the scent, I snap off a small square, let it melt slowly between the tongue and roof of my mouth, take some deep breaths.  This little ritual leaves me satisfied and calm and ready to tackle whatever is next. I think it is really just an excuse to just "be" for a few minutes.

What are some baby steps you are working on right now?

MgoSam - Have you tried Nomnom Paleos Kahlua pork? It is my go to life-saver for making a week's worth of quick protein you can use in a wide variety of ways.

BIG PANS of roasted veggies - I load my oven up with a few trays at a time, it makes dinner's a lot easier. Lately, it has been local Asparagus because it is in season and Hubs and I eat it like candy. Cauliflower is another favorite. Sweet potatoes, beets, Brussel Sprouts...basically any veggie tastes better roasted. We stick in in a pyrex, drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper, give me a good massage/mix-up and roast them in a 425 degree oven. give em a stir every 5 or 10 minutes. Roasting time depends on the veg.

Besides being a side, I will serve them with eggs for breakfast, make a super quick veggie curry out of them (basically, coconut oil, curry powder/paste, bit of tomato sauce, can of coconut milk and the chopped up roasted veg. Sometimes I'll add some spinach too)

The roasted Cauliflower makes a super easy rice/pasta substitute for sauces.

I have 10 lbs to go before I hit in the "Healthy" range of BMI. I'm super stoked. I haven't fit into that range since I was in Highschool and had Mono (yeah not the healthiest.) I've struggled with my weight since puberty and always had hormonal crap going on so this is super thrilling for me.

I asked hubs what he missed most last night and he said "Homemade pasta and homemade pizza" I asked about the desserts and stuff I use to make and he said. "You know, I miss the memories associated with some of those foods, but I don't miss the foods themselves" That was pretty enlightening.

I'm going to try and stay as on plan as I can and be really conscious about what I am eating when we are on vacation starting next week. I'm glad this introvert has become more comfortable in social situations that I don't require a few drinks to loosen up - that being said alcohol tends to flow like water at Camp Mustache, so... I have to be very aware of what I am putting in my body.  I think a few drinks will be fine, as long as I eat as well as I can and ignore all the delicious snacks that are around!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1380 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
Swick, now I want to go get some fancy chocolates, and here I thought I was special with my 85% Green & Black Organic stuff!  What you describe with going off-plan is exactly what I experienced when I did Slow Carb a couple years ago, except I don't think it stalled weight loss.  Each cheat day, I'd add about 3# of bloat, then by the end of the following week, it would be gone along with an additional pound.  It was like clockwork; one pound net lost each week.  Hoping it works that way this time around so I'll be at goal by our July vacation.

The Slow Carb/Paleo hybrid is really agreeing with me.  I feel like it's a little easier to maintain, and psychologically, I don't have the stress about where I can find something I'm "allowed" to eat, so I tend to eat less, and not eat when I'm not hungry.  Luckily beans seem to be fine for me, though I'm sticking with lentils, black beans and small white beans.  Might experiment with some tofu next week too. A couple times I've inadvertently eaten very low-carb for a few meals, and end up either wanting to sleep for 18 hours, or eat everything in site.  Some squash, sweet potato or beans and I'm good to go again.  Workouts are going well too, whereas they lagged quite a bit for at least the first couple weeks of Whole30, despite eating fruit and potatoes.  This Saturday will be my first cheat day, and I'm planning pizza, beer and ice cream.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1381 on: May 20, 2016, 05:49:45 AM »
I have only one thing to say.
*Sigh*
Day one

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1382 on: May 20, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
I have only one thing to say.
*Sigh*
Day one

What happen, Orvell?

Horsepoor - Thanks for sharing your experience and perspectives on the cheat days and your slow carb/paleo eating style. I'm still definitely trying to find a balance. I've slipped into very low-carb, unintentionally because all the veggies I have been eating are of the green variety with the season starting to change. I might need to be more intentional about balancing my plate as I don't seem to have the extra energy I would like to get some exercising in.

I don't think I want to do cheat days, I think my brain would go "well I should cheat because this is the day" Vs. "Man I really want x and I have thought about it and consciously choose to do so."

I would like to start adding in some beans. Other than chickpeas once or twice, I'm just realizing I never got a chance to re-intro them. I use to live in Turkey, so after coming home Lentils featured a lot in my cooking. Might be nice to experiment with them!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:19 AM »
Swick--it's going.  My plan right now is to restart Sunday, which I'm already excited about because on that day Richmond will finally have a branch of the greatest supermarket on the planet, Wegmans!!!!!!!  (sorry, supermarket nerd)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1384 on: May 26, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
Swick--it's going.  My plan right now is to restart Sunday, which I'm already excited about because on that day Richmond will finally have a branch of the greatest supermarket on the planet, Wegmans!!!!!!!  (sorry, supermarket nerd)

As a fellow supermarket nerd, I totally get it :) Did you start, MandalayVA?

How is everyone doing? Orvell? MgoSam

Things are going, pretty much in maintenance mode here so nothing really exciting to report. Really enjoying the Farmer's market and the intake of fresh veggies!

We are getting ready for our vacation tomorrow and both hubs and I needed to buy new clothes. We didn't have anything that fit us from last summer. It's quite amazing how much can change in less than a year. Of course, we went to the thrift store first, and waited for a sale and used some coupons, but it was an uncomfortable amount of money to spend on clothes, but we had to buy new hikers as well. I can honestly say though, I feel comfortable in my clothes, probably for the first time in adulthood. I still hated every second of shopping, but afterwards being able to model a few different outfits for hubs while trying to decide what to pack was a lot of fun :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1385 on: May 30, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »
Hi, stopping back in since I've dug up a more reasonable grocery budget. I'm considering jumping in...I really want to jump in...budget analysis must come first. I now have $4-5 dollars per day for food per person (ok, that may seem small but it's up from $2.50). Enough to buy in? Maybe a pseudo version?

I've been cutting back portion sizes to reasonable levels (not paleo or whole30). I'm getting super hungry in the evenings. Theoretically I don't need more food and I'm assuming my body will eventually adjust? Anyone have input on how long that takes? (I'm not eating a lot of sugar or flours, but am eating some).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1386 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
Hi Mongoose - There's no buy in, and everyone can start where they are, with what they're ready for, and set their own rules.  I can't remember what you said before about beans and potatoes, but it seems like with those (and maybe white rice), the budget is totally doable and you can eliminate wheat, sugar, nasty oils and other processed/refined stuff.

I've noticed pork is really cheap right now, and several on this thread rave about Kahlua pork, so that might be a good protein staple.  Now that it's summer, there ought to be some opportunities for cheap produce as well.  I remember that you were dealing with some food allergies as well, so I won't make too many suggestions that might conflict with those issues.

Plugging along over here, though with Memorial Day my cheat day has sort of strung out into a cheat weekend. Nothing ridiculous, and I'm back on track today.  It's getting hot this week, so we'll probably just be eating salads with avocados and protein and calling it good. 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1387 on: May 30, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »
I'm excited to see how much I can adjust my options towards Whole30 on my new, expanded grocery budget. I realize there isn't a buy in but it sure feels like I'm getting a huge treat to have money for better food!

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1388 on: June 05, 2016, 05:54:09 PM »
Hellooooooo!

I'm new. 

I saw this thread awhile ago and thought "huh" and been thinking "huh" for awhile now.  I've reserved both of their books at the local library a few days ago and hopefully they'll come in soon. I've read as much as I could, but don't like starting things when I haven't consumed ALL the information.

BUT, I've determined that this is really the only time for me to give this a go in the next 6-8 months.  Towards the end I'll have a conference and a one day "community festival" (read: beer day) as challenges to deal with.  But better than my 2-week vacation in late July or my 10-year high school reunion in August. If I could push it off longer I would, but during the school year I work full-time and take two graduate classes... there's simply not enough time to go to the grocery store as much as I'm thinking will be needed to get the fruits and veggies and spend as much time as I'll need to relearning how to cook.  So.  Here I am.

I'm about 5'1, 120lbs.  Mostly here for the energy benefits, but in case you missed the 10-year high school reunion in August mention... I wouldn't mind a flatter stomach by the time that rolls around, but not a huge driver. 

I've been eating the "lifestyle" for a few days, but like a good mustachian I bought and froze some sausages/bacon/etc meats awhile ago that are most likely not compliant, but I've been eating them.  I did have a slice of rosemary bread yesterday with lunch.  But today has been 100% compliant.  Going to freeze the rest of the bread and hope it lasts.  Whole30 proofed my pantry and moved all the bad stuff to higher shelves tonight.  I'm left with three cans of artichoke hearts, one can of tomato paste, one can of mandarin oranges, and half a thing of raisins.  Sigh. 

Mostly worried about breakfasts.  I've perfected a roll-out-of-bed-and-make-oats-in-the-office morning routine. 

I'm going to curl up with Harry Potter, some pickles, and tea now.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1389 on: June 06, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »
*Waves* Hi Mongoose! Good to see your back!

Welcome Tig_!

Breakfasts can be the toughest. If you are making/reheating oats at work, the easiest would be to start thinking of things in "Meal 1,2,3" Instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner. It is easier and just that little mental flip makes it much easier to have leftovers for breakfast :)

How is everyone doing?

Back from vacation, we did much better then I was expecting. It became very apparent how our tastebuds and way of being have really changed. That being said, Hubby was like. "Okay ready to go home and do a whole 30" So it looks like we are embarking on another one, but I have a wedding to go to this weekend and will  e flying with a carry-on so not able to bring my staples from home. The plan is to eat as good as I can with whatever is available.

We'll be starting our next round on the 15th.
Potential hurdles: In June we have 4 family birthdays and a retirement party. Weekend trip and BBQ over the July 4th weekend and several potlucks/game nights planned. Should be easy, right?

Good things: Lots of veggies and the Farmer''s market is in full swing, yay for awesome produce! I've also agreed to help develop some marketing for a local organic farm that is just starting up so will get a free veggie CSA share in exchange :)

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: June 06, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
Thanks Swick!

I've felt a tad nauseous all day.  Could have stuck it out at work, but left early and went to Whole Foods for the first time in probably two years.  Spent $50.  $20 of which was frozen salmon fillets which will likely last me beyond this month.

Now I'm too tired to get up and make anything for lunch tomorrow.  I slept like crap last night.  Not sure if its food related or heat related.

I also think I'm not allowing myself to detox properly.  Everything I'm eating is compliant, but likely too much fruit and potatoes.

They should add something to their website: "It is advisable to not start the Whole30 at the same time you are expecting your period symptoms."  My bad.  I can't separate out what from what.  And my brain seems a little foggy.  I'll write posts/emails/Facebook updates and then I'll reread them and it's... not what I thought I had written.  Oh Whole30, how glorious you are already.

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1391 on: June 20, 2016, 12:13:49 PM »
Hello all!

Looking for some solidarity on day 3 of my Whole 30 challenge. I felt GREAT this weekend and resisted the temptation of nachos and drinks last night at the bar, but as stress levels increased with my return to work this morning, the honeymoon has ended and I'm feeling a bit fatigued and irritated by the restrictions. Luckily, I saw this coming and have stocked the kitchen (I work from home) so that it's easier for me to be compliant than to go rogue.

Even with the dip in enthusiasm, I've already seen my energy and moods stabilize. I am in a big, stressful, high-profile crunch at work that will continue through July, and the peaks and valleys of work left me turning to sugar or salty delicious carbs or caffeine to plow through. On Friday I got hit with a couple curveballs towards the end of the work week and felt myself waffling between anger and apathy, neither of which I can afford right now. I know increasing my exercise and improving my diet will help me manage the next six weeks, so I kicked off the challenge on Saturday and have felt more in control - either from finding a part of my life I can control right now (more likely reason) or because of the lack of sugar and caffeine highs and crashes. Tricky part will be a conference next month (that my team is planning...hence the stress), but I have time to plan and can hopefully request a mini fridge for my compliant food. 

Have read through your posts the last few months for inspiration, but hope to dig deeper into the thread throughout the week!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1392 on: June 20, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
Hi Tig_

Welcome erae!

With vacation and some out of town work commitments, I haven't been very active on the thread.

Tig_ - You must be almost finished your whole 30? How are you doing? What challenges and successes have you had?

erae - The honeymoon always ends! It is funny that it often coincides with going back to work. I hope your conference goes well and you can ride out the stress.

Do let us know if you have any questions/need to vent/want to strategize or get some encouragement!

Don't know if we will be doing a strict whole 30, but vacation definitely highlighted the fact that we just feel better eating this way in general. We did the best we could but it also seems like we have just gotten way more sensitive to how food affects us.

One thing I did do was pick up a fitbit. Exercise is the other half of the equation - one I have pretty much ignored while creating some solid food habits. The visual motivation actually works for me and the sleep tracker is pretty neat. It does highlight that I am an incredibly shitty sleeper. While it has gotten better since being on the Whole 30, it is definitely the single biggest factor in how I feel on a daily basis.

So how is everyone else doing? Updates?

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1393 on: June 20, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »
I'm just cruising in to week 3!  I haven't found it that difficult yet, other than just being super tired that first week.  I have been eating some weird things though.  Artichoke hearts with soft boiled eggs.  But hey - it's compliant!

I definitely have not been 100% compliant though - but only when eating out.  I work in a college town, so I do my best when ordering food, but inevitably I'm sure something probably sneaks into the meal (that BLT I ordered without the bread probably doesn't use compliant bacon, etc).  This has happened a total of 3 times.

Other than that, social situations have been slightly awkward when everyone else is drinking, and I've turned down a few invites because of it.

I still just really want a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie and some bread with butter.  And those cravings have actually gotten worse with time.  Although my energy levels and mood have vastly improved.

I think it really helped that I love coffee but didn't drink it daily before I started Whole30.  Having a cup with coconut cream in the morning is like a little reward for getting through the previous day.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1394 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »

I still just really want a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie and some bread with butter.  And those cravings have actually gotten worse with time.  Although my energy levels and mood have vastly improved.

That's what I was craving too! I haven't tried it because I found the gluten doesn't agree with me, but we bought some White chocolate macadamia cookie dough from one of Hubby's co-works for his kid's fundraiser. Hubby made a bunch and took them into work, just the sticky sweet smell was enough to turn me off and they are my favorite. Hubs said all you could taste was the sweet and artificial-ness of it. 

The alcohol and social interactions are really interesting. We decided not to drink at the camp mustache section of our vacation as a bit of a social experiment. It went fine, but I can't help but think I might have gotten a little more out of it if I had just had enough to loosen up a bit as I'm pretty introverted. Luckily, we went the year before and already had some friends so it wasn't as bad. Now though, I know I'm at the point where I don't "need" alcohol in social situations and have proved it to myself so figure an odd drink here or there will be in the plan. But I don't plan on buying alcohol anytime soon, except for the odd bottle for cooking with.

How is everyone doing?

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1395 on: June 25, 2016, 06:51:03 AM »
Still here @swick, rolling into day 8.

Have been tracking somewhat closely to the Whole30 day-by-day expectations I found on-line for the first week. I won't have full days when I'm angry or tired, but had periods of a few hours this week when I felt both of those more strongly than I usually would. Energy has been consistent, though, and am hoping to do a better job stocking the fridge for next week to avoid more just-before-bed runs to the supermarket.

I'm not trying to cut down on snacking, but have noticed that my snacking went down naturally a bit this week - probably because my meals were filling and had good fat and proteín.

Also had a doctor's appointment last week which involved stepping on the scale. I'm at a new all-time high weight: about 40 pounds over where I should be. I got flustered for a few hours after the appointment, but then thought,"I'm already working on it. This first month might not show up on the scale, but it's laying a foundation for a better relationship with food, so shake off that number because you're already indirectly working to change it."

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1396 on: June 25, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
Still here @swick, rolling into day 8.

Way to go on making it through the first week!

Over the course of whole30 and beyond I have found I don't need to snack (going from hypoglycemia and HAVING to eat every couple of hours) That being said I never really did adjust to the three big square meals a day. I usually have 4 smaller ones. If I feel the need to snack it is usually old habits in the evening resurfacing, or boredom, I'm rarely actually hungry.

Don't let the doc's appt discourage you, use it as fuel. You are already on the right path! It ay take longer than 30 days - the whole 30 really is just a kick start to forming lifetime habits, but you are on your way!

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: June 25, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
I'm traveling right now, so that's sort of interesting.  The conference I was at had a potato bar as the lunch option - which was great for me!  Breakfast is easy since eggs and potatoes are everywhere, but dinner was a little more tricky.  Ended up walking probably 3 miles to this great bbq food truck I used to go to and order a beef brisket sandwich no sauce no bread since all their rib rubs had sugar in them.  The guy told me to keep it up and I looked great - which was nice. :)  It was a huge struggle getting there though - to be on such a long walk, passing all this great food - and not able to stop and eat any of it was rough.  I've explained it to people as a "cleanse" - so it's so weird to walk past these places where there's nothing "clean" I can eat.  Really makes you think about our food culture.

I did bring a lot of compliant snacks just in case.  They all suck so far.  Except the little mini packets of almond butter and apples.  I shouldn't have brought anything but those.

I'm also rather introverted - so I hear you swick on sort of missing the alcohol to loosen up.  I've decided that this will probably be the best part of Whole30 for me though - I've found that just that practice of being the weird person not to be drinking over and over again has made me a lot more confident in those settings in general.  It is actually a great conversation starter.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1398 on: June 30, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »

I'm also rather introverted - so I hear you swick on sort of missing the alcohol to loosen up.  I've decided that this will probably be the best part of Whole30 for me though - I've found that just that practice of being the weird person not to be drinking over and over again has made me a lot more confident in those settings in general.  It is actually a great conversation starter.

Definitely a conversation starter, although leads to sometimes awkward conversations, especially when someone means to be supportive but make a huge deal about it...yep awkward ensues :)

How is it going, Tig_?

It has been too damn hot to cook, so I have been making lots of Salad, with some sort of protein.

While possibly SWYPO I have been making popsicles out of frozen fruit, and coconut milk - or leftover smoothie. I haven't been really hungry and with the 40 degree weather and no AC I figure it is all good :)

Embracing the idea that I'm going to be hot and gross anyways, I figure I may as well embrace exercise so the rebounder I have left out in the living room has been great. I can feel myself getting stronger and able to go for longer spurts each time, running on it is great!

I have had so many joint and chronic pain issues I haven't been able to run on the ground due to the shock for years and years.

How is everyone else doing? Updates?

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1399 on: July 01, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
Rolling in to my last weekend!  I'm ready for this to be over - I just don't have the time required right now for meal prep and shopping.  I need a good solid week of just making VATS of fried rice.  I haven't been as diligent as I should have been about meal prep - often times I just hunt around for something - anything - compliant.  Tonight I had a can of mandarin oranges (in pear juice), with a couple slices of smoked salmon, then some raisins and almonds, and finally I picked some shredded chicken out of the bowl and ate that plain.  Now working on some cherries.

I accidentally ate some non-compliant food at home this week.  I had gone to work early and had class afterwards (so ~13 hour day door to door) and didn't have left overs or meat defrosted.  "So I know fries aren't ok, but they are those fries from the co-op! Sweet Potato!" and it wasn't until after I had put them on the baking sheet that I realized they had added sugar.  wompwomp.  My frugal side beat out the Whole30 side, and in to the oven they went.

By the time I came back from traveling I had a horrible headache, but then I had two dinners and felt much better.  Possibly that what a calorie deficit feels like?