Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427014 times)

jordanread

Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #950 on: January 22, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
Baba ganoush --- could someone share a whole30 compliant recipe you love for this?

When the better half and I first did it, we just roasted a whole head of garlic, and roasted a few egg plants, and then ground them up in the food processor. I put a bit of pepper in it sometimes, but not always. It's so damn good.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: January 22, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
Baba ganoush --- could someone share a whole30 compliant recipe you love for this?

When the better half and I first did it, we just roasted a whole head of garlic, and roasted a few egg plants, and then ground them up in the food processor. I put a bit of pepper in it sometimes, but not always. It's so damn good.

Pardon my ignorance but after this, do you eat it by dipping fresh veggies in it? Pre-whole30 me thinks it would be good on pita bread or taco chips:-/

jordanread

« Reply #952 on: January 22, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but after this, do you eat it by dipping fresh veggies in it? Pre-whole30 me thinks it would be good on pita bread or taco chips:-/

I've done a huge mix of things. Since I had plenty after I failed, it was delicious on Triscuits (don't even ask why they were in the house). However, that stuff was good enough to eat by the spoonful, on bell peppers, zucchini, cabbage, and as a topping on everything I tried eating (even eggs). The caveat of this is that I make mine very heavy on the garlic, and I do love garlic. However, it's an awesome addition to any crispy vegetables. I'd say use a few cloves of garlic and a single eggplant, and adjust as needed.

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #953 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »
Good afternoon whole30-ers! That baba ganoush sounds amazing - I found a recipe the other day for a hummus that uses courgette instead of chickpeas, so that's my weekend cooking. It seems like there's slightly more choice in the US than there is over here - coconut aminos aren't something I could even find at my local health food shop! But we do have things like cashew and almond butters, which are fab :-)
I've been eating so much more fruit and veg than I used to, and now feel like I can put together a meal with the most random ingredients (bit of tuna, some spinach, some red pepper, apple and almond butter - check, that'll do!). I've noticed that I've been eating quite a few Nakd bars this week though, which has to stop (the mindless snacking was one reason I wanted to do this in the first place!). Everyone's kalua pig sounds yummy as well - might have to put some in the slow cooker tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas to keep this interesting!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #954 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
Good morning indeed! All this talk of dips sounds delissssh.

Day 5
My mayo creating plans might get put on hold until tomorrow (we'll see) due to lifeeeee but that's okay. I'm going to the Farmers Market today (tg they hold a winter one, although it's in the Senior Center and inside and far less scenic lol) and intend to buy some FISH. Unless I cheap out. ;)
Sooooo fun fact. I haven't actually cooked meat in... like... 3, 4 years?
And it freaks me out.
But I'm trying to mayyybe get over that (I don't want my Whole30 to be meat based, but I also don't want to make decisions based on weird food issues that are mine and not logical) so if there's some nice meat there that isn't scary supermarket meat I might buy some too. :x
We'll see...
Sardines and eggs and kippers are also just fine to sustain me, lol.

jordanread

« Reply #955 on: January 23, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Well, it begins, and I'm feeling confident. The pork turned out amazing, and I used it on a cabbage salad I had leftovers. This morning I'm making hash with veggies and some eggs from my chickens. Yum. I also forgot that I put tahini in my baba ganoush as well. Going to eat and do a 15 mike hike. Day 1 of to a good start.

jordanread

« Reply #956 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »

Mmmm, breakfast. Mostly I wanted to see how Tapatalk handles images.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #957 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »
Figured I would stop by and update on my Whole 30 run. We didn't do so hot on it. We were on it long enough that we could tell we had no food issues affecting my Rosacea (well, at least not any that the diet was eliminating) and were so bored with the food choices that we mutually agreed to end it. The attempt triggered a bit of binge eating (3 days) and then we went back to lower carb, high veggie eating that we had started previously.

Since we are doing better with the conscious choosing of when and how much, we will be sticking with that. I don't regret the attempt though because it lead us to the style of eating we do now. Cutting the preservatives and sugar was extremely helpful. We still drink all coffee black, no longer use ketchup. We haven't bothered to bring milk back into the house though we will do small amounts of cheese. I still consider bread and rice sugar with no nutrients so they are very limited. Oh and I make my own broth now and its fabulous.

Unfortunately, because we didn't cut the exercise during the Whole 30, I gave myself horrible Charley horses. The good news is the addition of spinach to lunch and dinner for a week has taken care of this problem (magnesium and calcium deficiencies apparently). This also will remain in the diet as I am not a fan of muscle spasms and clearly my body needs the nutrients.

We will keep weaning out sugar sources and finding permanent replacements for them. Next week I plan on trying Collard green leaves as wraps instead of tortillas. If you wilt them briefly, its supposed to cut the bitter flavor. Didn't do it this week because our fridge is packed with food that we need to eat up.

Hope everyone else does better than we did. I am pretty sure we were also too low on fat sources as I couldn't trust that coconut and I are not friends (I think my skin doesn't like ingesting it in too large a quantities, think cystic acne). We did lose a ton of weight on it (way more than you probably should especially since we were fairly low carb going into it).

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #958 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
Jordanread: that looks DELISH! I've found pics here get uploaded at huuuge sizes, and there isn't a native way to edit them, so I dump the images I want to share onto imgur, which lets you c/p a url in multiple pre-set sizes. Handy!

Caoineag: Hi! I'm still sticking with the Whole30 plan as it's written for my 30 days in the food slammer, but when I'm done, I don't expect to follow strict paleo rules or anything. :) My beans and legumes will (hopefully) be problem free for me, and returning to my diet for the most part. I think learning from our experience and moving forward in a healthy way is like, basically, the best any of us can hope for. XD

Me:
Day 6!
Who successfully survived a (board game) party while not imbibing: wine, beer, mulled cider, mead, brownies, cookies, tacos, pita chips, or cake? ME. And it wasn't as hard as I thought. The unexpected upshot was I could be the DD when it came time to pick up the food and everyone realized that mead... was strong shit... and tacos weren't worth dying for. I rode in like a hero, tacos in hand, and then ate my avocado and sweet potato in triumph.
Today is mostly a home body day. Which is good since I need to try to make MAYO and also to make soup for the week. I am potentially having dinner at a buddy's, so I'll have to give her fair warning about the State of Claire-Food.

Hope you guys are having a great weekend!

jordanread

« Reply #959 on: January 24, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
Day two is going well. I slept like a baby rock last night, and had all kinds of crazy dreams. I doubt it's strictly this, since I made a few more huge changes in my life, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. This morning, I made another scrambled hash, this time with poblano peppers and jalapeños, in addition to the onion and potato. I also used some of the kalua pig to add a bit of smokiness. Yum.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: January 24, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »

Me:
Day 6!
Who successfully survived a (board game) party while not imbibing: wine, beer, mulled cider, mead, brownies, cookies, tacos, pita chips, or cake? ME. And it wasn't as hard as I thought.

Way to Go Orvell! Talk about a whole bunch of temptation! It does get easier each time you flex your "saying no" muscle. And it is kind of fun looking back on situations that had the possibility to break you and go "Nope, I am better then the temptation"

joradanread - your hashes look awesome!

jordanread

« Reply #961 on: January 24, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
Getting ready to start on dinner. I've got a few hours, but the recipe we're trying may wind up being tricky. Serving with another batch of baba ganoush.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: January 24, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
Birthday lunch made by my whole30'ing daughter for me. The cookie cake is for the boys:

ETA: Sorry for the double photo -- don't know how to fix it!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:42:03 PM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #963 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
Happy Birthday 1967mama!!

Jordanread, lease let me know how the vindaloo goes! I like the idea of smoking it with the spices, seems like a lot of extra steps, though, so curious if it is good enough to make it worth it. I have lots of lamb that would probably be pretty good done up this way. Please report back!

jordanread

« Reply #964 on: January 24, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
Happy Birthday 1967mama!!

Ditto!!

Jordanread, lease let me know how the vindaloo goes! I like the idea of smoking it with the spices, seems like a lot of extra steps, though, so curious if it is good enough to make it worth it. I have lots of lamb that would probably be pretty good done up this way. Please report back!

I haven't gotten the charcoal/cloves/cinnamon sticks on to smoke it, but the home made curry paste (by toasting the whole seeds and then using a mortar) is loads better than the premade ones. And while my mortar is a bit small, it still worked (although just barely). House is delicious smelling right now. I'll post a couple of pics of the finished product.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #965 on: January 24, 2016, 07:00:10 PM »
Happy birthday, 1967 Mama! :D Sounds like you're celebrating it well. :)

GUYS LOOK WHAT I DID!
HOLY SHIT IT WORKED.
Some combination of whisking by hand, not starting with oil in the bowl, and using the right kind of salt... and ... I MADE MAYO!
O_O

Full disclosure I wasted a crap ton of oil, because this took me 3 tries, and I was a stubborn ass who refused to give up. SailorSam over on my journal actually told me to try hand whisking, and it... worked?? Not sure why the other times without it failed, could be a host of factors, but I don't care because I made god-damned mayonnaise!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #966 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:57 PM »
Way to go on the mayo!  Kind of magical watching it materialize, isn't it?  Impressed that you made it by whisking!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41:55 PM »
Orvell - I was thinking about you today and "The Great Mayo Making Event!" Glad it finally worked for you. How did your procedure differ on the first two attempts, just out of curiousity? I'm hesitant to try the immersion blender method when my food processor is working, but I like how much quicker it sounds ... oh, the drizzling. So. Much. Drizzling. *cue Jeopardy music*

I was making clarified butter this afternoon and was marvelling at how rote and routine some of these things have become for me. I love it!

I had the super fun experience of buying 2 tops at The Gap this weekend (on clearance for $10 each, btw). People, I haven't shopped at a non-plus sized store in probably 15 years, so I was really hesitant to even go in. But I've been wearing my incredible-shrinking-Whole30-daughter's jeans these days (the ones that are now too big for her). Tonight I fit her size 32 jeans. I don't even know my jeans size anymore, except it used to be either a 2x or an 18! yayayayayayayaya! I'm so excited!

This was quite possibly one of my happiest birthdays ever -- my kids and my husband are all cheering me on. Its really neat. I feel like by the time I turn forty-ten in 364 days, I will be at my ideal weight. What a great time in my life to take charge of my health! I haven't felt this great in over 18 years, which was the last time I was my ideal weight. Still a long way to go, but I"m not discouraged or worried about that at all. Just enjoying my days with my kids, being active and busy as a wife and mom, feeling so good, eating my monkey bowls:0)

Thank you for the kind birthday wishes. This is such a terrific thread and I'm very thankful for all of you and the tremendous amount of support I've received here since I made that life changing decision back in October.

((((HUGS))))),
1967mama

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:55 AM »
Alright guys. What the heck. I had very (TMI warning) unhappy poops today. And that was one of the main reasons I started doing this jazz. I want that to end, full-stop.
Any clues on why?
Here's what I ate yesterday:
B: leftover veggie scramble with two eggs
L: Green Soup puree (broccoli, kale, carrots, zucchini and onion all cooked up with a little coconut milk)
S: tea and cashews
D: sweet potatoes and tomatoes and garlic, plus mayo and tuna and green peppers

Could it have been the mayo? I made the final successful version at a friend's house and used her ingredients, including one of those refrigerator "lemon juice" options. That was the only thing possssssibly not on-point all day.
:(

Idk. I'm a tad frustrated.

Anyhow. Day 7.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
Orvell,

That is pretty common, It seems like digestions goes for a crap (sorry) before it gets better. Also, keep in mind the digestive system takes (roughly) 24 hours from mouth to exit, so when looking at "what you ate" that will help.

You might also not be getting enough fiber. Taking some Psyllium is a good, natural way to get some - just make sure you drink lots of water with it!

Finally, with a higher fat/low carb diet, poops in general should be a little looser. Your body is trying to figure out what it's new normal is. It can take a few days.

1967mamma - SO awesome that you have such a strong support network, and very exciting to hear all your progress! Hope you had an amazing Birthday!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #970 on: January 25, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »
Huh! You know the fiber is possible. On weekdays I eat smoothies for breakfast that I pack and eat at work, so an orange and greens and stuff. But on the weekend (in my MMM style cold apartment lol) I'm much less inclined to drink icy things in the winter.

:) Thanks for the moral boost.

ETA: Annnnd I looked at that Whole30 timeline... I shouldn't be surprised. This step was listed. ;P
I should calm my tits and keep riding the ride. NOTED.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:36:45 AM by Orvell »

jordanread

« Reply #971 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
Lessons Learned - Vindaloo with Pork Belly

First, I want to say that this was delicious!! A bit spicy for the other half, but overall pretty damn good. I've wanted to experiment with pork belly for a long time, but this was the first time I actually did. It turns out...it's freaking delicious. That being said, there were a few things that went 'wrong' that I will further experiment with. Let's do it:

• Making curry paste from scratch is way better than the store bought stuff, and relatively easy. It's all about getting whole seeds and good quality oil (I think). And toast the seeds.
  • To make a lot of curry paste, I either need to experiment with the mulling blade on my nutribullet, or get a bigger mortar/pestle combo. Mine is only about 3" in diameter, and I lost more than I like to while squishing things.
  • In a mortar, especially a small one, the idea of smashing the big bits (rather than rolling them around) works wonders.
  • In a mortar, smashing the big bits is way more fun to refer to as squishing.
  • Use the charcoal you have to grill something first. It may seem obvious, but I used a more fancy charcoal, and since I moved in with my GF 5+ years ago, I've been using a gas grill. I didn't know how the charcoal was supposed to act in comparison to how it did act. Check that first.
  • Eat lunch!! Both me and the GF were hungry, and rushed things (specifically the charcoal). Another 5-10 minutes would have helped immensely. The charcoal ended up going out, but I still tasted a very slight bit of smoke in the meat. I will experiment with this further, because the flavor it added (even all dumb and tiny) was an awesome addition (especially since Liquid Smoke contains non-approved ingredients). The cinammon was great for smoke, too. It was a deeper flavor, although not as cinammon-ly intense.
  • If you do what I do, and intend for this meal to make more than one meal, adjust the recipe accordingly. The GF and I ate almost all of it, even though we usually cook for at least half the week on weekends.
  • Do not light the charcoal over a grill burner. If you choose to do that, you will bring rain and wind to your house specifically. It's Murphy or something. PITA
  • Since I don't have (and never intend to get) a vindaloo pan (who knew that was a thing?), I used one dish for on top of stove, and another for the oven. I don't think any flavor was lost, since while the food was in the oven, we used the stove top pan to boil the water (hopefully adding more flavor from the little bit that was still on the pan), but who knows?
  • Of course I didn't add sugar!! I'm on a Whole30 dammit!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #972 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Dang!  I feel like I'm watching Chopped when I read about all these cool cooking adventures.  Whenever I see Vindaloo, I read it as voodoo.....you must be doing some magic with that meat.

Happy birthday 1967mama....Sorry this is late. Your family is so great, supporting you through these last months and especially your birthday. I'm hoping you have a great year ahead!

This weekend was full of temptations. My son's birthday is this week so he requested oreo truffles as his treat to bring to school. (I'm not giving the recipe. :-)) I am happy to say that I successfully made them without cheating.  Not even a single lick of my fingers.

Yesterday I made a huge pot of Moroccan meatballs from Well Fed, along with some cali rice. It was a yummy supper.

jordanread

« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
Dang!  I feel like I'm watching Chopped when I read about all these cool cooking adventures.  Whenever I see Vindaloo, I read it as voodoo.....you must be doing some magic with that meat.
[...]

No magic. However, that's the only way I can (so far) stick with this. Sorry if it's too much. Fortunately I only cook on weekends.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #974 on: January 25, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Jordanread - Thanks for the update! Sounds as involved (and awesome) as I imagined it would be :)  I'm curious if the charcoal is necessary, or I could plan on making it next time I'm at my parents and  just grab an ember from the woodstove...that would make it super simple!

Feel free to share all your kitchen experiments! I would say Whole 30 is especially tough after a while for those people who are self-proclaimed "foodies" :) I'm enjoying your perspective, giving me a motivating kick in the pants too!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #975 on: January 25, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
[...]

No magic. However, that's the only way I can (so far) stick with this. Sorry if it's too much. Fortunately I only cook on weekends.

No!  Not too much at all! :-) I love Chopped, so it's actually kinda fun to hear about everyone's adventures with food.  I absolutely agree that trying new things make me want to stick with Whole30. I've definitely gone out of my comfort zone on Whole30, and found some great recipes as a result.  Keep your adventures with food coming! The weekend is my cooking time too, with a little easier stuff thrown in through out the week.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #976 on: January 26, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
Day 8

Went to ladies night last night with some co-workers. Had the world's worst waiter, but still somehow managed to get food I could and wanted to eat. Salmon and greens. Score!
And, of course, got some amusing responses to what I'm calling, for simplicity's sake, "Oro's weird food thing right now, I'm fine, everything's fine, no I really don't want a drink."
Co-worker S asked if I wanted cheesecake for dessert. I explained I wasn't eating dairy or sugar right now. So she suggested German chocolate cake instead. :P Co-worker S perhaps didn't quite get it, but that's fine.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #977 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
Day 8

Went to ladies night last night with some co-workers. Had the world's worst waiter, but still somehow managed to get food I could and wanted to eat. Salmon and greens. Score!
And, of course, got some amusing responses to what I'm calling, for simplicity's sake, "Oro's weird food thing right now, I'm fine, everything's fine, no I really don't want a drink."
Co-worker S asked if I wanted cheesecake for dessert. I explained I wasn't eating dairy or sugar right now. So she suggested German chocolate cake instead. :P Co-worker S perhaps didn't quite get it, but that's fine.

I'm convinced that most people have absolutely no idea what they're eating 90% of the time.  Well done on the salmon and greens!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #978 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
I wish I lived in that reality where German Chocolate Cake had neither sugar or dairy.

Good Job on the socializing and staying on plan, Orvell!

Things are...going. I don't have too much personally to really report this go around. I do wish sometimes for those easier days when dinner was slap whatever fixings that were in the fridge onto some homemade bread and fire it into the panini press.

Made a big batch of cabbage soup with some leftover Kalua pork broth. Also made an Indian ground beef and potato curry. Hubby really enjoyed it. I'm still struggling with not really having a desire to eat.

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #979 on: January 26, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
Hi all! As a quick update on the courgette "hummus," I made LOTS of it and it tastes garlicky, hummus-y and wonderful. The recipe is here: http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/03/12/paleo-whole30-hummus/ and I added some red pepper that I roasted myself as I couldn't find a jar of peppers.
Glad you're all doing well - socialising whilst on plan is difficult, so well done Orvell!
Swick - I've been finding that recently, but I found that if I eat less or skip a meal, eventually my body goes "what are you doing?!" and I can eat again. I don't know, something to consider maybe?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #980 on: January 26, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »
I'm not sure what's up this week.  The chocolate cravings are FULL FORCE.  About 30 minutes ago I wanted a hot chocolate so bad.  Don't. Give. In. (and I didn't give in)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #981 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
I'm not sure what's up this week.  The chocolate cravings are FULL FORCE.  About 30 minutes ago I wanted a hot chocolate so bad.  Don't. Give. In. (and I didn't give in)
Your willpower is like the Hulk!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: January 26, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »

You got this!

Although, I have a mocha or hot chocolate often. Boiled water, coconut milk/cream, coconut oil, vanilla and some raw cacao powder I also add some raw cocoa paste if I have any, and if you want to go white hot chocolate a little grated cocoa butter is great. There isn't any sugar in it, which is odd at first, but your taste buds adapt really quick and it is quite surprising how the flavorful the chocolate tastes, not masked by all the sugar.

Thanks for the suggestions, Spuggy. My body doesn't seem to give me the hunger signals, even when I skip meals. I've got this Intermitted fasting down pat.  Normally it is me looking at the clock going, hmm it's 2:00 I should force myself to eat something before I take the dog for a walk. Then I will have a handful of nuts or something while I make dinner and eat a normal size portion of dinner.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #983 on: January 26, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »
Wait. This is a very important question.
Raw cocoa powder, like baking chocolate, is on the Whole30 list!?!?!?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #984 on: January 26, 2016, 04:13:47 PM »

As long as it doesn't have any sweeteners, thickeners, milk products. They have a recipe on the website for chocolate chili.

Now drinking it is probably a "Sex with your pants on" type of thing. But it was not a problem food for me so it's a call I have made. This is the raw cocoa paste I use. http://www.omfoods.com/cacao-cocoa/organic-cacao-paste-raw-criollo/

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #985 on: January 26, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »

As long as it doesn't have any sweeteners, thickeners, milk products. They have a recipe on the website for chocolate chili.

Now drinking it is probably a "Sex with your pants on" type of thing. But it was not a problem food for me so it's a call I have made. This is the raw cocoa paste I use. http://www.omfoods.com/cacao-cocoa/organic-cacao-paste-raw-criollo/
:OOOOOOO

And in my defense, plain chocolate isn't a problem food for me, either. It's delicious. But what I binge on are pre-packaged cookies and pastries. I'll think about making some hot cocoa your way. :) I'm not fully decided, but it's cold and snowy, and I'm out of tea... so that might win. :)) Thanks!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #986 on: January 26, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »

:OOOOOOO

And in my defense, plain chocolate isn't a problem food for me, either. It's delicious. But what I binge on are pre-packaged cookies and pastries. I'll think about making some hot cocoa your way. :) I'm not fully decided, but it's cold and snowy, and I'm out of tea... so that might win. :)) Thanks!!

if you do try it, just be aware of anything that might come up for you, it might be too similar that it triggers psychological cravings for the other stuff...Or you might be totally fine...Or you might decide that the taste isn't really what your going for. Never know unless you try. Do just be careful if you do that the cocoa doesn't have anything off list in it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #987 on: January 26, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »
if you do try it, just be aware of anything that might come up for you, it might be too similar that it triggers psychological cravings for the other stuff...Or you might be totally fine...Or you might decide that the taste isn't really what your going for. Never know unless you try. Do just be careful if you do that the cocoa doesn't have anything off list in it.
Good cautions, thank you. :) I made some, it's nice, but it's certainly not, like, hitting any werid craving spots. XD It was a good experiment, but I doubt I'll try it again.
:D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #988 on: January 26, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
I distinctly remember saying "I'll never drink coffee without sugar" then it was "I'll never drink "hot chocolate" again without sweetener" now it's the new normal, I wasn't a fan the first time I tried it, but it grows on you. I should just know by now that every time I have said "Ill never..." I'm usually wrong :D

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #989 on: January 27, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »
Day 9

It's a day. I'm tired because I stayed up too late and had to get up too early, but I got my lunch packed, and my smoothie drunk.
I'm not sure what the variables were, but I had the most incredibly productive night in a loooong time. o_O; Partially my own encroaching deadlines, partially maybe not having sugar issues any more? Who knows. :) But it was good, even if I was too jazzed from the art high to sleep.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #990 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Day 9

It's a day. I'm tired because I stayed up too late and had to get up too early, but I got my lunch packed, and my smoothie drunk.
I'm not sure what the variables were, but I had the most incredibly productive night in a loooong time. o_O; Partially my own encroaching deadlines, partially maybe not having sugar issues any more? Who knows. :) But it was good, even if I was too jazzed from the art high to sleep.

Hey Orvell, sounds like you got your first taste of "Tiger Blood" :) The trick is to balance the newfound energy and mental clarity with some really good self-care and pacing. Establishing good sleep patterns is super important or you can get into a high/low cycle. The goal, I think, is constant sustained  productive energy without having to pay for it the next day.

Your sleep patterns might change. I went from a life-long insomniac to sleeping a good 7-8 hours straight and in bed by 10:00 (with zero desire to stay up past that)  I've shifted my creating to the early mornings, and it's ben so.much.better! Nothing like being able to start your day with a good couple of productive hours before the world rises.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #991 on: January 27, 2016, 07:35:45 AM »
Yeah, I definitely need to get on a track that won't peter out. I've historically been a morning person, getting up at 5-6 to do art before work. Then I stopped. Then I stopped doing art. This was also partially due to some anxiety and fearrrrr but also because I was tired. Last night I stayed up until almost midnight working on stuff, which is definitely not the norm. In fact... despite the fact that I'm running on 6 hours of sleep (not enough for me normally)
I *still* kinda feel the high buzz. XD While it felt great to be productive, I think that particular train is unsustainable. :) I'll get it figured out. But man, this tiger blood shit is the bomb!

Serious question for ya'll:
I'm showing art at a convention a few hours out of town in mid Feb. Which is awesome! I'm bunking with a bunch of artists to keep costs down...
BUT
How have you guys dealt with your Whole30 while out of your kitchen for a few days? I will be down there potentially Friday-Sunday... which is a lot of days. I can pack a cooler, and keep some stuff in the trunk of my car (hello midwest. The trunk is like an extra freezer, lol)
Have you guys had to do this before?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #992 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:54 AM »
Yeah, I definitely need to get on a track that won't peter out. I've historically been a morning person, getting up at 5-6 to do art before work. Then I stopped. Then I stopped doing art. This was also partially due to some anxiety and fearrrrr but also because I was tired. Last night I stayed up until almost midnight working on stuff, which is definitely not the norm. In fact... despite the fact that I'm running on 6 hours of sleep (not enough for me normally)
I *still* kinda feel the high buzz. XD While it felt great to be productive, I think that particular train is unsustainable. :) I'll get it figured out. But man, this tiger blood shit is the bomb!

Serious question for ya'll:
I'm showing art at a convention a few hours out of town in mid Feb. Which is awesome! I'm bunking with a bunch of artists to keep costs down...
BUT
How have you guys dealt with your Whole30 while out of your kitchen for a few days? I will be down there potentially Friday-Sunday... which is a lot of days. I can pack a cooler, and keep some stuff in the trunk of my car (hello midwest. The trunk is like an extra freezer, lol)
Have you guys had to do this before?
Pack reheatable-in-microwave leftovers in a cooler.  5-day coolers are amazing and live up to the title if you don't already have a cooler.  Ensure you will have a microwave available, or hell, bring one.  Or eat your leftovers cold.  If the food is spicy enough, it's almost not that different (sold this concept to myself, but not to my girlfriend).  You can also pack emergency shelf-stable snacks like fruit, nuts, compliant Larabars (or homemade "Larabars" which are even tastier), or compliant beef sticks/jerky.  Or simple cold stuff like hard-boiled eggs.

My girlfriend travels a lot for business (photographer) and she's done all this before, from hotel rooms to tenting it to car camping to six-people-in-an-RV-with-the-AC-stuck-on-despite-being-50F-outside.  If you can time things right, you can even bring a small slow cooker and make friends with everyone near your setup.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #993 on: January 27, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
Your willpower is like the Hulk!!

Thanks for the chuckle!  My immediate thought was "I want to have the will power of the Hulk....just not look like the Hulk." 

You totally got this for going out of town. In addition to Ketchup and GF, both 1967mama and I have successfully stayed on plan while traveling.  Ketchup had great advice.  Just plan and bring food with you. If you really want a hot meal, find a good steak house where you can get steak with a plain baked potato. Many times they will have clarified button (for seafood) that you can get for your potato. Of course this advice might ruin your budget though. :-)  Some other ideas:
 - tuna (maybe mayo in the cooler to add)
 - avocados
 - cherry tomatoes
 I know I'm missing more.  Here's a link to the Whole 30 downloads, which includes a travel guide with more ideas. 
http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

You can do it!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #994 on: January 27, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
Orvell - You can totally do this weekend. I went away on a weekend early on in my first whole40 and totally survived. That included a dinner out as well (salmon and a baked potato with clarified butter and asked for no toppings on the salmon except salt, pepper and clarified butter). Water to drink.

I've gone back and found my food list from that weekend and will post it here:

Throw Down the Gauntlet / Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I just thought of this - I will type out what I brought in case it might help someone else out one day:

How I Ate Whole30 in a Hotel Room

This trip was a two hour drive from home. I brought a small cooler that would hold 12 cans of pop as my refrigerator with ice packs. Will refill tonite with hotel ice as my ice packs thaw. I also brought a zippered bag for dry goods and cans. Also in the bag is a set of cutlery, a can opener, a bowl to eat my
Big salad in and a tea towel for drying my dishes.

-applesauce cups
-can of tuna and salmon
-1/2 bag of washed and torn romaine lettuce
-cooked chicken breast
-box of heirloom tomatoes
-ziploc container of mushrooms
-almonds
-pecans
-medjool dates
-coconut
-bananas, kiwis and apples in plastic box to protect them
-small glass jar of Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
-Lara bars
-herbal and regular tea
-can of pineapple
-4 hardboiled eggs
-1 package compliant prosciutto
-coconut
-raisins
-almond butter
-compliant coconut water with pineapple juice

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #995 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »
I am really intrigued by the idea of Whole 30. Considering doing it in February because I feel like I lost control of my eating. I also want to see if I what I eat has something to do with my allergies and chronic nasal congestion and irritation.  Planning to spend the next few days reading and preparing.

Anyone else interested in starting on February 1?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #996 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
I am really intrigued by the idea of Whole 30. Considering doing it in February because I feel like I lost control of my eating. I also want to see if I what I eat has something to do with my allergies and chronic nasal congestion and irritation.  Planning to spend the next few days reading and preparing.

Hey, ZiziPB! On my first go round, I discovered that my chronic nasal congestion (that I have had since I was a child) was a dairy issue. I didn't actually know I could breathe fully through my nose!

I'm not sure about doing another whole 30 (just finishing up one) but I'm sticking fairly close to it as a general way of eating, and there will be lots of support here for you!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #997 on: January 28, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »

Hey, ZiziPB! On my first go round, I discovered that my chronic nasal congestion (that I have had since I was a child) was a dairy issue. I didn't actually know I could breathe fully through my nose!

I'm not sure about doing another whole 30 (just finishing up one) but I'm sticking fairly close to it as a general way of eating, and there will be lots of support here for you!

Thank you swick.  How long did it take for your congestion to clear?  I have suffered from a runny nose and sinus issues all my life but never tried eliminating dairy.

I am slowly working through this thread and trying to wrap my head around black coffee (is there an approved substitute for milk? I actually don't like sweet tasting coffee, so I will be all set if I can find a good substitute for milk) and eating a lot of meat (I'm like you were - using meat mostly as a flavor enhancer). 

I quit drinking alcohol almost 6 months ago but unfortunately have filled the gap with lots of sugary treats and carbs which are doing me no favors in my middle age :-)  At this point I feel like I really need a radical change because everything else I've tried is an utter failure for me.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: January 28, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »

Thank you swick.  How long did it take for your congestion to clear?  I have suffered from a runny nose and sinus issues all my life but never tried eliminating dairy.

I am slowly working through this thread and trying to wrap my head around black coffee (is there an approved substitute for milk? I actually don't like sweet tasting coffee, so I will be all set if I can find a good substitute for milk) and eating a lot of meat (I'm like you were - using meat mostly as a flavor enhancer). 

I quit drinking alcohol almost 6 months ago but unfortunately have filled the gap with lots of sugary treats and carbs which are doing me no favors in my middle age :-)  At this point I feel like I really need a radical change because everything else I've tried is an utter failure for me.

It took me...ohh a week or two? I don't really remember. What I have noticed is that now that it is out of my system the results are pretty consistent. If I have dairy for supper I'll start to plug up and generally have a shitty sleep because my nose is plugged and my throat is scratchy and the pressure builds up. Then once I get up and moving the next day things are back to normal.   It has played out the same way, so I at least know what to expect now. I still have a little dairy now and then knowing this. The interesting thing is, with having dairy every day, I was never free from it long enough to actually realize that it might be a contributing factor to anything. The possibility never occurred to me.

It isn't like the gluten/wheat that makes my Fibro systems flair and I feel like I got hit by a truck for a couple of days. NOTHING that is edible is worth that!

RE: COFFEE - a spoonful of coconut oil and a splash of coconut milk in coffee (I blend mine up with an immersion blender, it gets frothy like a latte) Is how I have been doing non-dairy coffee, I really love it! Also, I have made my own Pecan Milk and used that as well, it is not a "substitute" but it is a nice addition on its own. If you are not trying to get the lactose "sweetness" of the milk, you have a lot more options!

RE: MEAT - It takes a bit of getting use to, I'm not really all that sure that our meat consumption has skyrocketed. It has gone up a bit, but I am finding between the addition of coconut oil and more veggies to our diet, the meat hasn't gone up as much as we thought it would. We definitely used more when we started out first whole 30, but it has definitely tapered off as we have gotten more use to and comfortable cooking with a lot of veggies.

Also, I think we are eating less food overall, it is higher quality, more nutritious and more satisfying so we need to eat less.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #999 on: January 28, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
UPDATES? How is everyone doing?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!