Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427066 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #850 on: January 02, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
Oh a side note....I finally had time over the holidays to get my pictures from my camera saved to my laptop. My boys had taken a picture of me while on our vacation this summer. I wanted to cry. It was taken after my first Whole30 in July. I've lost more weight since then, but it was still hard to look at. It was a great motivation to never go back there again.  I'm actually thankful for these little reminders that I need to change, and WANT to change.

I was building a new media center PC today (well, it's new software, old hardware) and came across an old selfie of me, a head-shot with my head and shoulders. Of course I've seen plenty of my old pics, but right now, right after the holidays, I know exactly what you mean: a great motivation never to go back there again. More, a great TERROR of ever going back there again, because back there lies sickness and pain that I just can't ever deal with again...

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #851 on: January 02, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
I empathise with the horrible photo experiences. Every time I have started a diet it has been because of a photo that made me see the truth of my situation.  Our wedding photo is sitting on Mils shelf and every time I see it I see happiness and my fat. Makes me sad to think I couldn't be slim for my wedding day (nearly 10 years ago) but I honestly tried using the good old whole grains, low fat approach and ended up fatter than when I started.  Feeling fortunate that I have the recipe now for not being 'fat and forty'. Day 3 has gone well for me. I felt more tired than everyone else after a 2 hour hike but nothing serious.  Leaving the house of xmas cake tomorrow for my parents house again. Only there for three days before heading home but bracing myself for the usual food/emotional bullshit that I enjoyed over Christmas. By Friday I'll be home in my own bed with my own food and my own kitchen and I CAN'T WAIT!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #852 on: January 03, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
Caoineag - A big part of the whole 30 is getting to know yourself, your habits, beliefs, limitations. I would consider the fact that you knew you tend to be impulsive sometimes and planned for it as a success!

Day 3 here. I have to admit to having my sleep go for a shit over the holidays, and I'm not back on track yet, so feeling a little tired and out of it. It is amazing how much sleep affects things!

Didn't make it to the store yesterday, made a big pan or roasted root veggies. Last of the beets from the garden. Thought they would last a while - ended up eating em all for dinner.

The plan for today is to make up a compliant  a taco salad.

Hubs spent some time yesterday looking through and marking recipes. This is a big help, he has been frustrated, he feels like he can't help out as much because most of what he is comfortable making is "comfort" food that we can't eat.  Hopefully we'll find some good recipes :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #853 on: January 03, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
Basically doing primal over here.  I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I've got yogurts, veggies, soups and egg salad all ready to go. 

I really needed this time off to decompress, apparently, and it's making eating the right things easier.  There's a quart of vanilla Haagen Daz in the freezer from our Christmas day pie extravaganza.  At first I was going to throw it out, but OTOH, I am completely untempted by it, so I've left it there in case DH wants it when he gets home.  Of course, not wanting to eat ice cream is easier when the daytime highs are like 20F.  Feeling like I've got a pretty good balance right now where I'm happy with what I'm eating, but don't have to spend the mental energy on being super strict, so I'm able to turn more attention to exercise.  Have walked/ran about 14 miles and done one strength workout in the last four days.  I signed up for a race on the 23rd, so that should be good motivation to hit the road even if it's dark or cold (I draw the line at dark + icy).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: January 04, 2016, 02:04:24 AM »
Starting a Whole30 in the morning with my daughter :-) Apparently I am not yet capable of flying on my own steam after my Whole60 from mid-October to mid-December. I definitely succumbed to the siren song of The Season of Insanity. SO STUPID!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:06:01 AM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #855 on: January 04, 2016, 07:53:36 AM »
Happy you are joining us 1967mama!

I hear you about the Siren Song of the Season of Insanity. I'm speculating, but I think one of the reason whole 30 works is it takes away a lot of the decision making. When something is not allowed, it is not allowed. When you aren't on it, you have to examine and weigh  every single food choice you make. I wasn't aware of how many of those choices come up in a day, it is exhausting! With willpower being a finite resource, it's no wonder it can be so tough!

I found I was okay with the big, obvious stuff - but I still struggled with the smaller seemingly less bad decisions (A little cheese here, a little cream there, an insignificant (or sometimes significant bit of sugar)) but it does all add up and compound! I think the fact that wheat/gluten is on the "can't have" list still that makes it easier for me. I wouldn't want to have to be making decisions about that stuff.

Today is day 4, I don't really notice the days anymore, which is a major shift from the first Whole 30 where every single day seemed momentous :)  I did finally sleep well last night and have a full night of sleep. We'll see how the energy levels are throughout the day.

I think the key to success for this round will just be keeping a wide variety of veggies prepared and ready to go so I'm not starting from scratch every time I want to cook.  I made some extra onions, peppers and zucchini when I made Taco salad last night, so that should help. Today I'm going to make some more roasted veggies, some flax cakes for hubbies lunch, and ...well not sure about dinner.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #856 on: January 04, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »
I've been talking to my wife about doing this again (had the second post in this now huge thread! haha).

I'd like to do a longer trial of it because I really think that food affects my overall energy. I'd like to isolate that to what food does it.

Common ender and wife!  Join the fun!  I'll likely go into February too, so you'll have good company even if you start a little later.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »
Hi everyone, swick you are so right about the burden of decision making. Life seems easier on whole30 because while I'm still surrounded by bad food, it's all a no, which makes it easy. I'm having a fun summers day at the cricket with my family.  Packed my egg salad, nuts and grapes. I don't have a lot of compliant food available but we're heading home tomorrow so I'll survive.  Hope everyone well. Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
How is everyone doing today?

I'm very disappointed that Hubs woke me up right before I was about to dig into a  homemade dream scone piled high with sliced raspberry and whipped cream. Very curious how it would have tasted.

In waking life, food has been pretty good though.

Yesterday:
Breakfast - I had a coconut buzzed coffee, Hubby had monkey bowl with homemade applesauce
Lunch - I had duck eggs with turkey bacon, sauteed peppers, onion, zucchini, salsa and avocado. Hubs had left over Taco Salad
Dinner - Mashed rutabagas with roasted garlic, hamburger patties and Carnival Squash.

Today:
Breakfast - Currently drinking a glass of hot lemon water, will follow up with coconut buzzed coffee or tea. Hubs had flax pancakes with apple sauce, almond butter and some coconut cream.
Lunch - Probably some sort of veggie/egg dish for me, Hubs took leftover taco salad filling on some roasted sweet potatoes and a side of rutabagas.
Dinner - Ragu with zoodles.

Tomorrow:
Breakfast - Same as above
Lunch - Leftovers from dinner or using up various veggies we have.
Dinner - Danish Duck (filled with apples and prunes) and some sort of veggies. I also came across an interesting recipe for preserved lemon roasted potatoes. Probably a bit healthier than the traditional caramelised potatoes!

One thing I have to be very aware about is drinking enough water, I keep thinking I am getting enough but my body disagrees with me.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #859 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Hi everyone, swick you are so right about the burden of decision making. Life seems easier on whole30 because while I'm still surrounded by bad food, it's all a no, which makes it easy.
+1 - So agree Swick and KiwiSonya! I'm realizing more and more that I'm an all/nothing personality, at least with food. It's so easy to just say NEVER, then "once in a while" because the "once in a while" turns into every day. 

I'm on day 5 and so glad to be back to eating on Whole30. Agree with Swick's comment from a few posts back too. This is getting easier and easier.  It really has become my new normal for eating and once I'm committed, it's not hard, as long as I have time to plan to do my batch cooking. The struggle is how to merge this new normal with my all/nothing personality with my reality that life happens and cheats will sometimes be unavoidable.

Last night I slept so good, until my son crawled into bed with me.  That's never a good thing for my sleep....he moves way too much and wakes me up. But, I just can't send him back to bed after a nightmare. Guess I'll deal with being a little tired today.

My meals this week have been:

Breakfast (all week)- Scrambled eggs with turkey breakfast sausage, using some avocado oil
Lunch (all week) - braised cabbage with onions and carrots, spicy tuna cakes with homemade mayo (LOVE these with the mayo on them, who knew?)
Supper - Chicken fajitas over cabbage with pico and guac
      OR    - Chocolate chili from Well Fed, this is really good chili

Occasionally I'll add either a banana, cherry tomatoes, or apply with almond butter to one of my meals if I'm still hungry.

I've noticed that I need to do better with getting more healthy fats, especially at breakfast. I like avocado and guac, but I don't LOVE it, so unless I'm having Mexican food, I'm not naturally drawn to eating it. My backup has been nuts, specifically macadamia and pistachios. Having the homemade mayo again has also helped with some more fat options. 

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #860 on: January 05, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
Agree with the comments about strict being easier.  This is my 3rd W30 (started this round on Jan 4th, so day 2) and I'm going for the W90 this time if not longer. 

I've got some plans in May where I want to be able to drink and relax on the cheese but given my past history with rebounding from W30 to Doritos for dinner I'm going to try and just make it how I eat going forward.  This year make the time off W30 the time constrained exception. 

They now say it takes 66 days to form automatic/habitual behavior and that's what I want eating like this to be.  I know to be successful you have to plan ahead and learn how to say no which I am but my hope is a W90 changes that to my default behavior setting.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #861 on: January 05, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Mom22boys - Getting enough fat in the morning for me was a struggle until I started blending up some coconut oil and coconut milk into my morning beverage (works with coffee and tea) Now I find it satiating enough that I am putting off making real food till lunch time, not sure if that is a good thing or not?

I hear you about merging a "new normal" with the all or nothing personality type! This will be my journey too. I always use to wish life would be so much better if it were easy to redirect the "all or nothing" mentality to say eating really well or exercise, but it seems to be a little gremlin much more interested in doing what is not best for me.

CryingInThePool - What would you say were your biggest challenges going off your other Whole 30's that made you rebound to Doritos for dinner?

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
Biggest challenge and what I'm hoping to fix by going to W90 was the idea that after the 30 days is up I can eat what I want again. 

Not saying on day 33 it was Doritos for dinner but a slow slide after its over from reintroducing cheese and rice to a month later when I didn't plan ahead just saying 'Oh i don't have time I'll just grab some chips and eat in the car'.    This will be my 3rd whole 30 and I loved results of both of previous ones;  I just need to make the changes permanent and not let there be long lapses between W30s. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2016, 04:31:39 PM »
Cryinginthepool - That is exactly what happened to me after my Whole60, with the Season of Insanity (Christmas, etc).  I am back on another Whole30 and am feeling So. Much. Better.  I think I can do ok with reintroducing healthy foods such as rice and trace sugar, etc but it was when the Christmas treats rolled out that I broke. Sugar addiction has been a very hard thing for me to break.

Today I have eaten the following:

Breakfast - 2 eggs and a giant handful of spinach, nuked. 1 banana.

Lunch - can of tuna with Whole30 mayo and celery

Snack - smoothie made of coconut milk, banana, pineapple, date, papaya == very indulgent and sweet but hit the "sweet" spot for me

Dinner - beef stew bubbling away in the oven with 4 lbs of my delicious grass fed beef. Also, bone broth going in the crockpot from last night's chicken and roasted vegetables. 

Plan for later snack - monkey bowl or apples with almond butter

Lots of tea today. Stopped caffeine by 1pm, but my goal is noon.

So simple yet so satisfying.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #864 on: January 07, 2016, 12:44:15 AM »
Hi all, I have survived a twelve hour journey with hubby and small kids. It is great to be home after three weeks, as lovely as our summer holiday has been. Eating has been pretty monotonous this week -so many eggs for breakfast,  lunch and sometimes dinner and raw nuts - will go easy on both of these for the next week. Am excited about the prospect of hitting the food markets tomorrow.  It will probably be expensive because I have been deprived of food autonomy for the past 3 weeks but I don't really care. The cupboards are very bare and I want them to be bountiful and given it is mid summer here that shouldn't be hard. Last night I had to sit through Sugar vs Fat (or the other way around) a BBC "documentary" where twin doctors tried different extreme diets - one high sugar/carb and the other high fat/protein (no fruit, vege, grain). Both lost weight but high fat guy lost 2kg muscle over the month and lost cognition and exertion tests compared to high sugar. My parents were I think trying to tell me they are worried about my eating regime. Problem is, I have a science background and the whole thing was a bogus and completely unscientific study, no controls,  sample size of 2. Tried to communicate this but I don't think they got it. They pretty much believe anything on the tv so I gave up and went to bed. I've given up explaining myself to anyone. Exhausted so off to bed for one of those delicious "sleep like I'm dead" sleeps that I get on whole30. Keep up the good work everyone.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #865 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »
Day 7 is off to a fabulous start.  I'm feeling a little light headed, so I'm going to eat more nuts today because I think I may need a little more sodium.

Swick - I appreciate the idea with the coconut milk.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I don't like coffee or tea at all. Can't stand it. I love the smell, hate the taste.  Unless of course are huge amounts of chocolate added to them, which kinda defeats the purpose.  :-) Instead I've been trying to have more avocado oil with my scrambled eggs each morning. The good news is that I'm feeling satisfied until the next meal, so I maybe shouldn't worry about it too much.

CryingInThe Pool and 1967mama - totally my life too. I think we're stuck in the old 'diet' mentality, which is that I'll eat this way for a while and then after I lose my weight/feel better/whatever the improvement is....THEN I'll go back to my old way.

Something else that kinda hit me last night is that while I have/had a bad relationship with food, a big part of the issue for me is just plain laziness. Yes, my name is mom22boys, and yes, I am lazy sometimes. That's when I get in trouble.  I get in this bad pattern of not wanting to cook, plan, etc and that just feeds the issues with food. I'm not saying it's bad to be lazy for a day here or there because something we just need a break. My problem is I get into a rut of laziness for an extended period of time.  This is something I've been working on. Part of it is definitely an emotional response to stress, crap around me.

I just want to say again how much I love this group. It's really made me more aware of myself and is helping me improve every day.  Have a great day everyone!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #866 on: January 07, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »
Mum22boys, 1967mama and Cryinginthepool, I share the "this diet is a temporary thing" problem too. We can work through it together.  I think that is one of the difficulties about whole30 - it is not designed to be a permanent thing and they don't really give you enough guidance to come up with your own permanent plan afterwards.  I think this is why everyone seems to do a whole 30, drift for a bit,start to feel crap and then do another one. I envisage a life time eating plan that looks like whole30 plus whatever I can tolerate in the dairy department (which might be a bit of goats cheese) plus the occasional planned in advance truly delicious treat (not a daily whatever I can find that is sweet). But first I need to get rid of the excess weight and whole30 is good for that. Have a great day everyone. Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: January 07, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
Awesome insights, everyone!

I got totally thrown off my game last night. Didn't sleep a wink till about 6:30 this morning. Apparently spending 12 hours yesterday in a not very ergonomically correct position whilst exasperating my carpel tunnel with a shitty keyboard was not the best of ideas. But I wanted to get my inbox to zero damnit! 12733 messages later....ugh never again!

Besides being in too much pain to sleep I was THIRSTY like stupidly thirsty, I'm fairly certain I have been getting enough water under normal circumstances but it seemed like no matter how much I drank it wasn't enough. Wondering if there are some toxins being released and my body is crying to get them flushed out? Didn't have any more salt than normal. Weird.

Yesterday for Dinner I made a duck stuffed with fennel and prunes, roasted potato and onions and mashed rutabaga.

Mom22boys - I totally hear you about the laziness kicking in, it seems like eating Whole 30 just makes more dishes and requires more thought/planning/cooking time.  All my fall backs are easy grain based stuff. Yes there was stressful weeks were we survived on Panini's (and really enjoyed it) Taking out the super quick bread-based stuff makes it all seem more daunting sometimes. Also, eating good makes a lot more dishes!

KiwiSonya - Did you do your shop? Happy to be back at home? Sounds like those "Doctors" in the documentary already had drawn their own conclusions before they started filming. I always tend to say "follow the money" Who sponsored the documentary, how did they get paid?  There are tons of great documentaries on how bad sugar is for you! The fact that anyone can deny it these days just blows my mind.

I definitely agree that the problem with the Whole 30 is what happens next. It does kinda feel like we are all meant to find our own way afterward.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #868 on: January 08, 2016, 03:14:02 AM »
Hi swick, your meals always sound so exotic and delicious. Have you been in the food business? I love being back home and back to my favorite food shop. I was more rushed than I'd like but still managed to stock up on deliciousness. Lunch was salmon on slaw and I marinated pork belly in coconut aminos and chinese five spice with green beans and new potatoes with ghee. Boysenberries for dessert.  Yum. Zero eggs consumed today to make up for the past weeks overdose.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping and managing water, Swick. Is your zero email objective part of a bigger declutter.
Regarding the "documentary", I find since joining MMM I have become more questioning and a lot less accepting of "received wisdom". Everywhere I look people are doing what is expected with often disastrous personal consequences.
Bedtime now.  Take care everyone. Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
Hi Everyone! Happy Saturday! How is everyone doing?

We are still in the process of removing non-compliant ingredients from our cupboards. Apparently I missed some "Garlic Salt" that happen to have modified food starch AND sugar in it. How did I know? I saw it out on the counter, hubby had used it on some squash he roasted. Ahh well, he'll still eat it, he's not being as strict whole 30, mainly coming along for the ride on this round :)

Going to do some more veggie prep this weekend so we have building blocks ready to go in the fridge.

Hi swick, your meals always sound so exotic and delicious. Have you been in the food business?

Not officially :) My Dad ran a kitchen, my mom use to own a catering business and I have been cooking since I was about 6.  I decided at a very young age I didn't want to do it for a living, would take all the fun out of it. But I definitely come from a family of foodies, which has made this whole transition really interesting. On the one hand, my mom has been great about wanting to change her own eating and we are all very experimental and comfortable trying new things.

On the other hand, it means that so so so many of our traditions and memories and life revolve around food.  Not to mention the habit of  feeding people and showing love through food. I really miss making my own bread and pasta and some of those more Meditative cooking tasks...I sure don't get the same satisfaction from peeling veggies :)

I'm also having to start from scratch my list of "Impress" dishes,  these are the dishes I know I can make with very little notice and completely wow someone. If anyone has any suggestions for these types of dishes that would be awesome!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2016, 01:01:51 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm happy to report that my 3rd Whole30 is going great and is pretty uneventful. Its funny when not eating crap starts to feel like normal.  Like today, when we were on a 3+ hour drive with the fam, I packed some cooked chicken, hardboiled eggs, celery, oranges, bananas and Lara bars. And last night, when everyone was eating candy, I had a banana and a medjool date ... MMMMMM! Even little things like tea, without milk and honey, has now become normal for me.

I am now at my smallest size since 2008. From here on in, I will need new clothes (from the thrift or consignment store) because nothing else in my closet is small enough. Pinch me ... am I dreaming??

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »
Any whole 30'rs able to join us for Camp Mustache 2016?  Would be totally awesome to meet any of you in person! Tickets went on sale today and I imagine they will sell out pretty quick. http://campmustache.com/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: January 12, 2016, 01:36:22 AM »
Gee, I'd LOVE to attend camp MMM but I don't think my hubby would be up for it :-/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Gee, I'd LOVE to attend camp MMM but I don't think my hubby would be up for it :-/

He could spend some quality time with the kids and you could come?

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #874 on: January 12, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »
I'm considering it but as usual by the time my calendar is clear enough to commit I'm sure it will be sold out.  I already have a 2 week vacation planned in May so I need to prioritize.  Though based on the location it could be in my backyard so maybe I'll just stumble upon it by accident.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: January 12, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
I did a grocery run tonite and was pleasantly surprised when I looked up at what I'd unloaded from my cart! (Bread for kids sandwiches) Ironic to see all those chocolate bars staring down my healthy groceries. Fuhgeddaboudit!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #876 on: January 13, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
I also would love to attend Camp Mustache.  Just don't think it's in my budget for this year.  The boys and I are planning a big trip to see my brother and his family in the next 1 to 1 1/2 years, so I'm saving up my miles and CC points to pay for that.  After all, I don't want to use my hard earned cash. :-)

I've been having fun this time around looking for and trying new recipes.  This week I made a double batch of Sunday night stew from the Pioneer Woman.  I just left out the Worcestershire sauce and sugar, and viola, yummy stew.  It was a hit with my boys too. Bonus is that half is in the freezer for next month.  Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. I would have made some mashed potatoes (NOT following her recipe) but that's hard to do on a weeknight with two starving boys who want to eat.right.now. Instead I replaced the turnips with potatoes.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sunday-night-stew/

My grocery spending this month has me a little bummed, but then I remembered that I froze a huge batch of beef stew and also chocolate chili from last week, so that made me feel a little better. I'll recoup the savings next month.

I'm also going to try this one, likely next week, if I can find compliant buffalo sauce (without having to ship from Tessemaes)
http://paleomg.com/buffalo-chicken-pasta/

Any other new good recipes?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
**Bored**Restless**Resentful

Okay, I bet you can tell by the title of this post that the Honeymoon stage is over for me.

It's day 13 of this whole 30, but really, just over 4 months for this new, reformed way of eating. I am struggling.

I have no desire to eat. The kitchen chores seem more chore like because I'm not really getting any satisfaction from the process of making and eating food.  There is no joy and anticipation. I am making food, it tastes good while I am eating it, but I could take it or leave it (and I am making good food, I just have no interest in it) I think if there were some non-people soylent green I would be all over it. A nutritional block of cardboard tasting vitamins/minerals and essentials? Sure I'd be down for that. I've been feeling rather numb about everything for the last week or so. It's taking a lot of mental energy as well, because I know this isn't normal, or I sure as hell don't want it to be!

It's like you spend years and years getting a high from your food, years of emotional satisfaction, joy and anticipation about treats and meals and such. Not to mention the physiological feel good chemical hits and dopamine. Now food is pretty much just sustenance and a source of stress. It's easy to dismiss all the time planning, shopping, cooking and cleaning when you really get enjoyment or that high from doing it...lately it has all been drudgery.

As a result, I have been feeling like crap, probably not eating enough (I think my weight loss has stalled because my body thinks I'm never going to eat again) There is just zero interest.

So wondering if anyone has any thoughts, similar challenges, ideas for a protein powder that would be whole 30 compliant (yeah, I know that is breaking the rules) Really, I'm just looking for ways to get the nutrients in without a lot of hassel while I figure out other ways to replace that joy and satisfaction I use to get from food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #878 on: January 13, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Hey Swick, I was feeling that way too.  I think it was part of a larger case of burn-out, but yeah, I usually enjoy the creative process of cooking and it had lost all it's joy.  While going to Soylent might be a little extreme, I think there's some merit in just cooking a bunch of basic stuff and taking the creativity out of the process for a week or two.  Maybe cook a turkey or a bunch of hardboiled eggs or whatever and prep salad stuff and just plan to eat the same way for a  week.  I took some time off from creating meals and just kind of ate ingredients for about a week - cans of sardines, pieces of fruit, baby carrots and that kind of thing.  Then use the saved time on finding something to replace the joy you were getting from food with some other sort of activity (maybe something you already do, but could take some time to appreciate it more?)  Basically, find out what can fill that void, hopefully in a healthy, productive way?

On protein powder - there is plain eggwhite powder without any additives.  That should be technically compliant even if it's not an "optimal" choice. 

On an un-mustachian note, I just bought a sous vide immersion circulator, and that is rekindling my joy in the kitchen, or at least reducing the burden of food preparation.  So far I've made steaks, salmon, hardboiled eggs, and tonight will be pork loin and beets. 

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #879 on: January 13, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
Seconding what horsepoor said about 'filling the void'.   I've hit a related stage before too when I unexpectedly had some free time but I'd already planned ahead on meals; suddenly I didn't have any appetite at all.  Once healthy food was readily available and I had a surfeit of time it was all unappealing.   I felt almost bored which seems crazy yet proof that unhealthy eating had moved into the hobby stage.

Don't really have any advice on the substitute nutrients topic but perhaps similar to the FIRE mania/burnout that first hits when you discover ERE/MMM you need to balance your life with activities that remind you why you are on this path?

When similar feelings hit me I'd pick up the phone and call my elderly relatives to say hi.  Or grab a book that I kept meaning to get to and read until I was hungry.  Go for a walk or start researching travel locations.  Now that I'm also in the Language challenge I'd probably go to Duolingo and do a bunch of Spanish exercises.

Best of luck- just remember moods change :)

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #880 on: January 14, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
How are you feeling today Swick?  I was thinking about your post a lot last night.  During the holidays, I feel like I was in a similar situation.  I labeled by mindset as 'laziness' and you're feeling more of the 'Boredom'. Obviously these aren't the same, but I think there is a lot of overlap in this.  Kinda like a mid-life crisis where people are in need of a change (hopefully a good one :-)) and that triggers different emotions and actions.

Do I have an answer?  Nope.  :-) But, like CryingInThePool said, moods change. It's another challenge for us to think about how to get past this time and back to feeling like ourselves, but hopefully better.  Looking back, I was definitely not eating things I should be during the holidays, but I think that was kinda a blessing in disguise. I'm not saying this is for everyone, and I'm definitely not saying that I should go back to that eating all the time, but it was a good break. Maybe I'm finally shifting from 'Normal is to eat crappy and then take a break by eating good' vs 'Normal is to eat good and then take a break by eating crappy'??? I kinda feel like I'm rambling, and maybe don't make sense!  LOL

I think horsepoor had some great advice. Maybe you don't want to eat all-out bad like I did, but just eat simple for a while.

Hoping today has been better and tomorrow even better!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
Thank you for your ideas, suggestions and thoughts horsepoor, CryingInThePool and Mom22Boys.

It's been an interesting retrospection. I think what ti comes down to is without all the various highs and lows and associated emotions/chemical hits I'm feeling like I'm just existing.

Now I know it is not all diet related, we haven't had sun for a couple of weeks and I'm feeling the SAD, also we went grocery shopping and I think that triggered a lot of it. beyond the stupid high prices for produce right now, our store missed a shipment and there was basically no produce everything was gone except their processed crap. We picked through what was left and I was grumbling that we got 4 unripe bananas when we could have gotten a whole box of cereal for the same price of $2.00. Sometimes, I can understand why people who eat the Standard American Diet do it.

I hope you are having fun with your sous vide horsepoor :) I think your suggestion of having the building blocks ready to go and taking some of the creativity out of it is a good idea. I'll definitely do that for the weekend. Think a big batch of Kalua pork is in order.The weekdays are always tougher because I have to think about dinner in relation to hubby's lunches as well.

Filling the void - yes this is where I am at now. I'm also realizing the downside to working from home is I'm just not getting the social interaction and stimulation that I need - even as an introvert :)

CryingInThePool - Took your advice and started figuring out how I can get down to visit my grandma end of February. She's 95. Also started planning camp mustache, it does give us something to look forward to. Although even that is a little depressing with the state our CDN dollar is in right now!

Mom22Boys - Mid-life crisis is a great way to put it this too shall pass :) I did end up breaking the spirit of whole 30 by making some Keto "dinner buns" http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/keto-paleo-dinner-rolls/ and they actually did help, not so much for the taste but the act of mixing fours, making dough, and the smell that comes with baking. I think I miss that the most.

One odd thing I have noticed is what I crave more than the taste in a lot of cases is the smell.  Used the buns to sop up the lemon sauce from this paleo chicken: http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/01/06/paleo-lemon-butter-chicken/ didn't have any fresh lemon so used lime juice and some preserved lemon. Turned out really good.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: January 18, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »
Alright kids.
I'm back.
And you know what?
I'm gonna actually do this thing for real. Well with a few stipulations because I still don't like to cook meat. ;) But more or less for real.
I toyed with it briefly, got off track, and then bounced on and off the healthy eating wagon for the last month. And you know what? I feel shitty.
And I don't want to feel shitty. So I'm going to do this thing. A whole 30 days. I don't know if it's going to stick beyond that, but I am, right here right now, committing to a 30 day experiment.

Do I get my super secret handshake and badge now? ;P

In all seriousness, this is a big deal for me. I have a binge-eating-bad-food problem (not like, clinically binge eating or anything, but I over-indulge when I have a "treat yo' self" mentality going on, and it's unhealthy, and I don't like feeling out of control) that needs to end ASAP, and I need to determine what food sensitivities I've got going on. I know I have a milk/lactose issue (since age 17, thanks genetics!) but I'm also 90% sure I have a soy sensitivity, which is either new or was mascaraing as something else...

Basically, I've got some learning to do...

That said, some of the language here makes me uncomfortable. I don't like the world "complaint." It makes me think of cults. This isn't some set of rules I'm imposing on myself that I should feel deeply guilty and shameful if I fail to follow. It is a set of guidelines that I'm following, by choice, to make myself feel better and to understand myself. :) So that will be taken out of my vocab and replaced with "X isn't what I'm eating right now."

Anyhow, hello again. :)

jordanread

« Reply #883 on: January 18, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
Wow. After reading all the way through this thread, in preparation for a non-failed version of the Whole30, I'm ready to comment for support and words. I am currently on Day -4 (starting this Saturday). I tried to start it last week, and actually spent 4/5 weekdays eating completely compliantly, but my addiction to cigarettes coupled with my love of wine and cheese (not necessarily together, just two things I really like) made that a bust pretty quick. I decided that I will read through this thread (which has been awesome btw), and then tomorrow draft up a meal plan for the entire 30 days. This won't be as difficult as it sounds, as with the exception of my lunches, me and the other half only cook 3X/week.

So really, the reason I am here is for like minded folk to provide face punches and a place to process nutrition based writings. As of December 2013, my diet/lifestyle switched to primarily primal. Even with dairy, and occasional legumes, I wound up losing a ridiculous amount of weight. When I reintroduced craft beer (I'm in Colorado...come on now) and combined that with a year long struggle with alcohol, I ballooned. I still ate well, and determined that lifestyle pretty much cut out the major issues in my life, but I drank any benefits away and adjusted to that new and unhealthy lifestyle. So the Whole30 (for me), is primarily as it is designed...a reset. Cut out everything and move on to there. I'm a little bit more freaked out about the eventual re-intro, just in case I have to actually weigh something I love (which is all that I eat) against potential negative side-effects that I never tested for. I know what mostly works for me, but if something else works in addition, I'll have to do a cost-benefit-analysis. Obviously beer is stupid for me, so hopefully I'll continue to make steps in that direction. Oh, plus I'll have quit smoking. I'll wait to get started, but I'll be pretty damn happy to do it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: January 18, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
Yo, high five Joradanreed. I think we're on the same course-correct path here...

Re: beer. I feel ya. I really fucking like beer. It's not even the alcohol content for me, I just actually *like* beer. Finding things that are interesting to drink but not objectively terrible for me is... a new quest. :/
Tea is the obvious answer, but what about those days when you want something fizzy? Is soda water acceptable? Soda water with a lemon or some ginger in it or something??

Something that stuck with me off the Whole30 website that I think will be important to remember is that what we eat? It's a choice. It should be a conscious one, not a passive one. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #885 on: January 18, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »
I don't like the world "complaint." It makes me think of cults. This isn't some set of rules I'm imposing on myself that I should feel deeply guilty and shameful if I fail to follow. It is a set of guidelines that I'm following, by choice, to make myself feel better and to understand myself. :) So that will be taken out of my vocab and replaced with "X isn't what I'm eating right now."

Welcome, Orvell and jordanread!

A not on the term "Compliant" yeah, I don't really like it either...but there are so many people on this thread at different places on the Whole30 and following different but similar courses and it was getting sort of confusing following who was doing what - so if we mention "complaint" that means that it fits within the parameters and is allowed on the "Whole 30" it is the term they use for what is acceptable during the time you are on the whole30.

I totally hear you on the beer, that was the sad part of finding out about my gluten/wheat issue. I freakin love the taste of beer. Christmas almost killed me when my family was breaking into bottles of my favorite seasonal Chestnut Ale.

I might try it to see if it has the same effect as eating wheat, but I have to do it after this current round of Whole 30 and when I can afford to spend a couple of days in bed if it does.

Orvell - We have a soda stream and had fizzy water on occasion during our Whole 30 - Pop has never been an addition/problem food for us and it sure adds some variety!

Looking forward to hearing how you guys are doing. We are all here for you!

jordanread

« Reply #886 on: January 18, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
I don't like the world "complaint." It makes me think of cults. This isn't some set of rules I'm imposing on myself that I should feel deeply guilty and shameful if I fail to follow. It is a set of guidelines that I'm following, by choice, to make myself feel better and to understand myself. :) So that will be taken out of my vocab and replaced with "X isn't what I'm eating right now."

Welcome, Orvell and jordanread!

A not on the term "Compliant" yeah, I don't really like it either...but there are so many people on this thread at different places on the Whole30 and following different but similar courses and it was getting sort of confusing following who was doing what - so if we mention "complaint" that means that it fits within the parameters and is allowed on the "Whole 30" it is the term they use for what is acceptable during the time you are on the whole30.

I totally hear you on the beer, that was the sad part of finding out about my gluten/wheat issue. I freakin love the taste of beer. Christmas almost killed me when my family was breaking into bottles of my favorite seasonal Chestnut Ale.

I might try it to see if it has the same effect as eating wheat, but I have to do it after this current round of Whole 30 and when I can afford to spend a couple of days in bed if it does.

Orvell - We have a soda stream and had fizzy water on occasion during our Whole 30 - Pop has never been an addition/problem food for us and it sure adds some variety!

Looking forward to hearing how you guys are doing. We are all here for you!

Thanks for the welcome Swick!!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #887 on: January 18, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome (again, in my case), Swick!
Now a nitty gritty question:
Is there a difference between the carbonated water your Soda Stream makes, and the club soda/soda water I buy at the store?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #888 on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »
Woot! Woot!  Welcome to the party Orvell and jordanread

It's great to have you joining us.  This really is a life changer for many of us on this thread, and I hope it is for you both too.  Orvell - totally with you on the 'binge' eating.  Now that I've done a few rounds of Whole30, those are getting less and less for me.  It just feels good to feel good. 

Just a couple logistics for you both.  If you haven't purchased the book "Whole30" yet, I would recommend it.  Yes, the website does provide a lot of guidance, but the book is a good read to help understand the 'why' behind things.  The book also has some really amazing recipes (with great pics) to help you. Also, if you are ever in question about an ingredient in something you want to buy, just search for "whole30 X" and you will find your answer. I'm often found in the aisles of Costco doing that. Any search results that start with 'Can I have ____?' are from the Whole30 or Whole9 website, which are the admins of the program, so you can trust the answer. Be really careful with Pintrest and other sites because they often will have ingredients we aren't supposed to eat.

Luckily (or maybe unluckily) I hate all forms of alcohol, so that isn't a struggle for me.  :-)  Just can't stand the taste of alcohol in general. On a side note, that sure helps with my MMM lifestyle.

I was pretty excited this weekend to find compliant BACON!  FINALLY!  At Natural Grocers.  And it tastes A.MAZE.ING.  It really makes me wonder why others put all those crappy ingredients in it.  It tastes exactly the same as other bacon I've had. I'm making this recipe right now for supper, which is why I needed the bacon (of course leaving out the sugar, and using olive oil):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sauerkraut-and-pork-chops

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: January 18, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome (again, in my case), Swick!
Now a nitty gritty question:
Is there a difference between the carbonated water your Soda Stream makes, and the club soda/soda water I buy at the store?

Not really, Mine is cheaper ;) just a matter of how they get the bubbles. Soda stream uses CO2 Injection.  Most commercial Club soda uses  sodium bicarbonate for the bubbles, as well as sodium chloride and potassium sulfate, for taste. I'm not a big fan of the baking soda taste, and I've had one too many bottles of Club soda explode upon me. I prefer the Soda Stream. One day I'll get around to building my own set-up - but it works for now.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: January 18, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
*Waves*
Hi! You guys give such a warm welcome. :) I am going to hold off on buying the book, but the plug is noted.

Swick: My solution to my craving for ginger beer. Ya'll should be proud. Club soda + actual ginger. Tastes pretty fucking great, too!
I'm going to investigate a soda stream, but I'm not sure the upfront cost will make the math logical considering I don't drink a ton of fizzy things. But it might. :) *pushes glasses up nose* Good thing I love to figure this shit out!

(And I'm a heathen who doesn't own proper drinking glasses... Mugs and jars for me.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #891 on: January 18, 2016, 05:55:45 PM »
wait *blinks* doesn't everyone use mason jars as drinking glasses? 

Awesome job on the ginger water, I'm uber impressed!

There is a bit of upfront cost for the Soda stream...we wrote it off as a wedding expense. We had a brunch wedding and a make your own Italian Soda bar. Much cheaper then serving alcohol! I'd still probably go buy one now...I really hate having Club soda explode on me - and it is always me, no matter how careful I am with the damn bottle!

Some of the Whole30 recipes are really good, I went the first couple of weeks without it, my mom ended up buying it and letting me borrow it. By far the most useful part is the Timeline: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ Everything I was thinking and feeling and experience made so.much.sense
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:38:11 PM by swick »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #892 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
I have the book on Kindle.  If anyone wants to borrow it send a pm.

Jordan, I almost nudged you to join from the Strength and Fitness thread.  Glad you showed up on your own!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: January 18, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »
Welcome jordanread! Welcome back Orvell!

I am on my third Whole 30 -- I did 2 back to back in the fall, fell off the wagon HARD over Christmas -- and just LOVE how great I'm feeling again.

jordanread -- I won't lie, I've had trouble with reintroduction. But I"m dealing with a lifelong pattern of terrible eating, so I'm cutting myself some slack on that.  So far, I've lost 25 of the 70+ pounds I need to lose to be back to a healthy weight for me. You can do this. You are already aware of how the craft beer is negatively affecting your body and that's a huge part of what I've learned through Whole 30 -- being aware of how foods affect my body, both positively and negatively. Hope it goes well for you, and post here for lots of support and encouragement!  This has been a great place to park my thoughts as I go through it and I love how everyone who is further along in the journey has been such a great help.

Orvell -- great idea on the ginger in soda water. I'm totally trying that! Frugalwoods posted an awesome description on their blog on how they made their own soda stream. I am getting a great education through the Hartwig's other book called, "It Starts With Food." I am stunned by how much misinformation is out there. Just today, my daughter's co-worker told her how she'd heard on the radio that paleo and Whole 30 are not good eating plans. WHAT? HELLO??? Protein, fruits, vegetables and healthy fats aren't a good eating plan? Oy! Anyways, hope it goes well for you! (1967mama hands you your badge now and shows you the secret handshake!)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: January 19, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
Updates Anyone? How bout everyone!

On day 19, I only know that because I actually started on the first this time around. Definitely becomes much easier as this becomes a way of life - although if you had told me that a couple of weeks into my first whole 30, I never would have believed it :) crazy how a few months can change your entire outlook on life!

In less of a funk, I think with my lack of appetite I let myself get a little lazy the last week. Spent Sunday doing meal prep so the fridge is stuffed with good food. Should make it easier. Also - I'm resorting to the old trick of stuffing as much veggies as I can into meat sauce. It seems to be working great :) I made a veggie/meat stew that had a huge zucchini, roasted red peppers, two eggplants, a roasted squash, onion and tomato and a ton of spices. Pretty tasty, and, as a bonus will feed us for the next few days easy. Want to see how far I can stretch it by just adding more and more veg.

Yesterday was awesome it was the first sunny day we have had in weeks and spent most of the afternoon down by the river with the pup. It did kind of make me realize I have been slacking too much in the exercise/outdoor department. I just have zero motivation to go out on the slippery, soggy, cold and dreary days.  Have to work on it.

On the bright side, I booked a flight to go visit my grandma in Victoria in late February, so I'll be able to get out of the snow and into the Cherry blossoms :)  Looking forward to hiking around the beach and mountain right near her house!  The flip side of that will be feeding myself and setting ground rules with extended family about what I will eat. They have a tendency to show love by providing homemade desset at every meal - even breakfast!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #895 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »
Oh! Cool link on the Soda Stream, thanks 1967 mama!
I'm not sure I'm committed to even more upfront cost, but that's rad to know that modding is possible. :) I have some Costco bucks or whatever they're called coming to me in February. I might splurge for a seltzer maker. :)

So this is my Day 1! I could count yesterday as a half day, but that's probably not in the spirit. Day 1. Day the First. The start.
Last night I made a weird cabbage thing. Red cabbage sliced thin, cooked up in a thin bath of coconut milk and onions. That, a hard boiled egg, and an avocado will be my lunch. Breakfast was a smoothie: a naval orange, spinach, kale, flax seed, coconut milk, almond milk, frozen strawberries, canned pumpkin. Dinner is up in the air, but I'm thinking sardines with roasted cauliflower and carrots. :)

I know *how* to eat healthy. The issue for me has always been the side indulgences that slowly swallow up everything else. THAT will be the trick to overcome.
I threw out the extra brownies I had in the house last night. That took gumption. Gone into the trash next to the cat poop...

jordanread

« Reply #896 on: January 19, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
I have the book on Kindle.  If anyone wants to borrow it send a pm.

Jordan, I almost nudged you to join from the Strength and Fitness thread.  Glad you showed up on your own!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do one, but because this thread shows up at the top of gauntlets with the S&F thread, it piqued my interest. It was actually the first thing I added to the resource post in the S&F thread. Also, I wanted to read through it, just in case there may be some guidance for adding a nutrition aspect to the S&F thread. As I mentioned there, general nutrition threads have a tendency to devolve into arguments. It's awesome to see this one hasn't. I'm just not sure if it's because it's so specific. But it should be fun.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #897 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
I think there are a couple of reasons why this thread has stayed so supportive. Number 1 is all the people in it are super amazing and willing to share and support each other. We are all going through the same thing and have chosen to do so in the same way, and that definitely helps.

Also, there is just too much to wade through for those who just want to troll. Much easier to stick to things like the "paleo thread" And, you can't really argue with the personal results and transformations we have all been having if you do read the thread. It might not work for everyone, but it is for us.

I have been thinking a lot about it too, and I think that while we have had to find our own way with re-intro and such, the program does set you up for success by forcing you to work through your habits and beliefs and food addictions. I have been reading (and resisting commenting) on the weight loss thread.

Having gone through that and struggled, I can see all the patterns happening with people - the binging, the guilt, the yo-yo-ing, the emotional eating, the addiction...the struggles that you work through and can free yourself from as part of this process. Now I don't know if that is normal for whole 30, or just because we have built such a supportive group where it is safe to work through these things.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »
Swick - As I sit here eating my eggs, peppers and avocado (wink) I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful analysis of why both this thread and the Whole30 program have been so successful for us.

I have done a full 180 since the beginning of October 2015 when I started my first ever Whole30. I am like a new person! And as I've said before on this thread, nothing has ever EVER worked for me before. I am now slipping into size 12-14 clothes (down from size 18+). I am picking up things at the consignment store that I would never have dared to try on before and they fit!

I am taking on a new challenge in my life that I'm certain I wouldn't have had the confidence or energy to do before Whole30. I'm teaching an adult ESL class once a week starting on Thursday! It runs for 14 weeks and I'm so excited! And nervous! Haha!

I feel so much better in my own skin. I feel more normal sized when I'm out and about. I can't wait to lose the remaining 50lbs but I'm in no hurry now. I'm just trusting the process because I know it works. I'm down 25lbs since I started. I'm not as focussed on the scales as I used to be but rather look at ALL the changes together. It's truly wonderful!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
Swick - As I sit here eating my eggs, peppers and avocado (wink) I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful analysis of why both this thread and the Whole30 program have been so successful for us.

I have done a full 180 since the beginning of October 2015 when I started my first ever Whole30. I am like a new person! And as I've said before on this thread, nothing has ever EVER worked for me before. I am now slipping into size 12-14 clothes (down from size 18+). I am picking up things at the consignment store that I would never have dared to try on before and they fit!

I am taking on a new challenge in my life that I'm certain I wouldn't have had the confidence or energy to do before Whole30. I'm teaching an adult ESL class once a week starting on Thursday! It runs for 14 weeks and I'm so excited! And nervous! Haha!

I feel so much better in my own skin. I feel more normal sized when I'm out and about. I can't wait to lose the remaining 50lbs but I'm in no hurry now. I'm just trusting the process because I know it works. I'm down 25lbs since I started. I'm not as focussed on the scales as I used to be but rather look at ALL the changes together. It's truly wonderful!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I love this post!

It is super exciting to hear about your ESL class! If you need someone to bounce ideas/strategies/lesson plans around with, I'd be happy to! I've taught ESL lessons in both Canada and Turkey and LOVED it!