Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427083 times)

Liz

• Stubble
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #700 on: December 04, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
That is such a great post, horsepoor!

My thoughts are that the Whole30 isn't supposed to be a Whole365 -- but if you end up straying too far away, it always there for you to come back to. I think the reintro and trying different things is part of the journey.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #701 on: December 04, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
That is a wonderful post horsepoor, I agree. The reintro phase as rocky as it has been for me has actually strengthened my resolve to stick to some version of paleo. While on Whole30 it felt like a short term thing but since attempting reintros, I don't want to go back to eating any of the crap I did before. Unfortunately my sugar dragon/ psychological eating issues still linger so I need another Whole 30, starting mid Jan when I return from summer holidays. Ks

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #702 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
Great answer Horsepoor! 

You're the only one who can answer these things because it depends totally on a) your body's reactions to the foods and b) your lifestyle.   

One thing to add to this is that you have to know your triggers, which is a big part of the Whole30.  Once you identify those, you may need to go longer with no reintro on those, if you even choose to add them back at all.  I know my trigger is chocolate, so that's why on Thanksgiving I choose to have the pumpkin pie cake, but NOT the brownie.  Eventually I may have a little bit of chocolate, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.  From past experience, I know I will get to that point but not yet. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #703 on: December 04, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »
Great answer Horsepoor! 

You're the only one who can answer these things because it depends totally on a) your body's reactions to the foods and b) your lifestyle.   

One thing to add to this is that you have to know your triggers, which is a big part of the Whole30.  Once you identify those, you may need to go longer with no reintro on those, if you even choose to add them back at all.  I know my trigger is chocolate, so that's why on Thanksgiving I choose to have the pumpkin pie cake, but NOT the brownie.  Eventually I may have a little bit of chocolate, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.  From past experience, I know I will get to that point but not yet.

Glad my post was helpful! 

Yes, understanding trigger foods is definitely important, so let's amend a) as understanding your physical and psychological reactions to foods.  It's all a journey of self-awareness, isn't it?

I "had" to go to Walmart today (little girl's stretch pants for my dog, what else?) and was thinking of Faraday's words and how this is the season of insanity to get through as Mustachians too.  All the parallels between eating and spending are so striking.  Hope everyone can keep up their badassity this month!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #704 on: December 04, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »
Day one went reasonably well:

Breakfast: two hard-boiled eggs, an apple, and almond butter
Lunch: Korean fish stew and kimchi
Dinner: seared Ahi Tuna with slaw and baked sweet potato fries

While I'm not actually still hungry, I am craving a bit of an evening snack. Hmm..

It helps that I didn't go to work today, so my stress-related emotional eating wasn't triggered.   

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #705 on: December 05, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
I "had" to go to Walmart today (little girl's stretch pants for my dog, what else?)

This made me smile. :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #706 on: December 05, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
Looking Good 1967mamma!

and awesome post horsepoor! The triggers bit is so. so important!

Liz - I totally agree that reintro is an important part of the journey. I feel like I learned as much (or more) about myself during the re-intro phase.

Things are going pretty uneventful around here, it seems we have settled into our new "normal" you tend to lose track of counting days as it just becomes a lifestyle - except - still struggling with finding enough tempting veggies to eat. Going to go on a veggie hunt today to all our local grocery stores and try to find the best produce, even if it is a little more expensive.

Frugalman19

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: December 05, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
Had no idea this was on here, the wife and I just finished our 30th day yesterday!!

First thing we added back was alcohol lol

Wife lost 12 pounds I lost 10 pounds. Which was not the goal, we didn't count calories or restrict how much we ate. But the pounds came off so fast.

Feel great. The hardest part was thanksgiving, and we definitely limited our social interactions, which sucked, but we saved a ton of money.

Good luck!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: December 05, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »
Sunnyca - your first day looked really
Good! How are you feeling?

Awgolfer - Welcome!  How
Is your reintroduction going  since the addition of alcohol? (Wink)

I have taken Melissa Hartwig's article (that I posted a link to above) to heart. We were out at a party that included breakfast today and I had eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 1 sausage and about 1 1/2 cups of raspberries, strawberries and grapes. I declined the waffles and tator tots as well as the sugary juice. It was really nice to eat a few things without feeling paranoid. So I guess I did a whole60 and am now officially Whole30ish. Will be interesting to see if the weight continues to drop.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #709 on: December 06, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
I am going to stay 100% away from any candies, baked goods or other junk that shows up at the office.  If I want to splurge, it's going to be planned and for something special.  No impulse eating of garbage just because it's in front of me.

Wiser words were never spoken, horsepoor. Add to that the idea that sometimes, there's someone in the office who's interested in "making you fall off your high horse". I mean, the gall of that person, thinking they can be thinner than all the rest of us pigs! :-)

.... how this is the season of insanity to get through as Mustachians too.  All the parallels between eating and spending are so striking.  Hope everyone can keep up their badassity this month!

When I found myself doing both Keto and MMM, each "subversion" reinforced the other. It's a powerful thing to realize you can own and control both your food AND your money!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:19:05 PM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #710 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:07 AM »
Faraday, I read your post and had flashbacks of my youth screaming the lyrics to Rage Against The Machine's biggest hit. 'Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me, fuck you, I won't do what you tell me'... Any time people try to foist junk on me I know it's going to be playing in my head. And I know I will be challenged. I'm heading home for the holidays in ten days. My mother called today as she said she wanted to get the food shopping done.  She knows what I'm doing but had the temerity to ask me if I was going to cheat with some bread what sort would I want.  Really, Mum, I don't eat any kind of bread. She tried again but I cut her off with,  bread gives me diarrhea these days and you don't want me having that at Christmas, do you? I am going to reread your season of insanity post daily for fortification, Faraday.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #711 on: December 07, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
I cut her off with,  bread gives me diarrhea these days and you don't want me having that at Christmas, do you?

Great answer!!!!!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #712 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
I'm struggling!  ARRRGGG!  This weekend was full of triggers, and I gave in. 

I totally feel your pain SonyaKiwi with the parent issue! We went to my parents for the day on Saturday.  My mom made not ONE, but TWO desserts for us.  I realize I'm a big girl and can make my own decisions about what I do and don't eat, but it's extremely frustrating to me that my mom will still make this crap for us when we come to visit. She knows this is something I really struggle with, and both my parents do as well! My dad makes a comment about how good I look, in the same second my mom is putting a plate of dessert in front of my face.  Really!? I gave in.  Yes, I gave in to peer pressure from my parents to eat crap. I'm mad! I'm frustrated!  I obviously need to have a good sit-down with my mom and explain to her that I love her, but this has to stop. Please stop making this junk for us when we visit. I certainly don't need it, and my boys don't either.

Then yesterday my boys really wanted chocolate chip cookies. I haven't made them for over 6 months, so I caved!  Yes, I had a moment of "I blew it yesterday at my parents, so why not again today?"  One thing I'm finding hard to balance is treats for my boys. I often talk with the boys about eating healthy, but I want to be careful with how I do it so they aren't scared of eating a tiny bit of dessert every few months.

The good news is that I'm recognizing that this is not my new normal.  Eating healthy is my new normal, and I'm taking action more quickly then I've ever done in the past.  I'm coming to this awesome group, because I know I'll get a face punch from Faraday, and I'll move forward. I also realized that Thanksgiving really threw me out of my rhythm.  Not because it was a holiday, but instead because we were gone from home so I wasn't in my normal pattern of having a plan and prepping for the week. I honestly haven't been impacted too much by the holiday season, other then visiting my parents more often (which equates to crappy food).

Time for me to get back to meal planning and prepping, and back on track! It's a new day!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
After I posted, I was doing more reading on the thread (for inspiration) and see a lot of new people!  Excellent!  I think it would be good to do a roll call and see where everyone is at. If you doing a Whole30 now, what day are you on?  If not, when are you starting your next Whole30?  I'll start:

• Mom22boys - Struggling with eating whole30ish right now.  I'm planning to start another round on January 1. I'll go at least 30 days, but may stretch it out to 60 or 90.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: December 07, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
After I posted, I was doing more reading on the thread (for inspiration) and see a lot of new people!  Excellent!  I think it would be good to do a roll call and see where everyone is at. If you doing a Whole30 now, what day are you on?  If not, when are you starting your next Whole30?  I'll start:

• Mom22boys - Struggling with eating whole30ish right now.  I'm planning to start another round on January 1. I'll go at least 30 days, but may stretch it out to 60 or 90.
  • 1967mama - Did a Whole60 from October 6 to December 6. Eating Whole30ish now during reintroduction phase. So far I'm very happy with how this is going. Whole30 has changed my life. I'm down 22 lbs with about 60 lbs still to go. Tummy troubles have settled due to discovering my FODMAP sensitivity. Clothes fitting now that I last wore in 2006! Shortly, I will
    have to buy new (thrift) clothes because I haven't been this low in weight since 1998 and no longer have any clothes from that era! Haha! No turning back now! I'm a lifer!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #715 on: December 07, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
1. Mom22boys - Struggling with eating whole30ish right now.  I'm planning to start another round on January 1. I'll go at least 30 days, but may stretch it out to 60 or 90.
2. 1967mama - Did a Whole60 from October 6 to December 6. Eating Whole30ish now during reintroduction phase. So far I'm very happy with how this is going. Whole30 has changed my life. I'm down 22 lbs with about 60 lbs still to go. Tummy troubles have settled due to discovering my FODMAP sensitivity. Clothes fitting now that I last wore in 2006! Shortly, I will
have to buy new (thrift) clothes because I haven't been this low in weight since 1998 and no longer have any clothes from that era! Haha! No turning back now! I'm a lifer!
3. Liz - Did a second Whole 30 from September to October, mainly to see if it had any effect on my asthma and allergies {it did!}. Lost a couple of pounds and noticed I had clearer skin, better mood, and slept much better! Transitioned into a paleo-keto style of eating and lost more weight by tracking net carbs. Started fitting into pants I haven't been able to wear in quite some time.:) Right now the plan to slowly transition my carbs back up to around 50-75, while still focusing on clean eating.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #716 on: December 07, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
1. Mom22boys - Struggling with eating whole30ish right now.  I'm planning to start another round on January 1. I'll go at least 30 days, but may stretch it out to 60 or 90.
2. 1967mama - Did a Whole60 from October 6 to December 6. Eating Whole30ish now during reintroduction phase. So far I'm very happy with how this is going. Whole30 has changed my life. I'm down 22 lbs with about 60 lbs still to go. Tummy troubles have settled due to discovering my FODMAP sensitivity. Clothes fitting now that I last wore in 2006! Shortly, I will
3. Liz - Did a second Whole 30 from September to October, mainly to see if it had any effect on my asthma and allergies {it did!}. Lost a couple of pounds and noticed I had clearer skin, better mood, and slept much better! Transitioned into a paleo-keto style of eating and lost more weight by tracking net carbs. Started fitting into pants I haven't been able to wear in quite some time.:) Right now the plan to slowly transition my carbs back up to around 50-75, while still focusing on clean eating.
4.  horsepoor  Still eating paleo and committed to not eating any garbage at the office.  Can go for a paleo dessert or wine on Friday and Saturday nights.  I've added in rice, dairy and trace sugar.  Committed to staying away from wheat and candy/non-paleo desserts through New Year's.  Starting to focus more on my exercise regimen.  No plans to do another W30 at this point but won't rule it out.

Edited to not contradict myself re: desserts
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:40:45 PM by horsepoor »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #717 on: December 07, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
4.  horsepoor  Still eating paleo and committed to not eating any garbage at the office.  Can go for a dessert or wine on Friday and Saturday nights.  I've added in rice, dairy and trace sugar.  Committed to staying away from wheat and desserts through New Year's.  Starting to focus more on my exercise regimen.  No plans to do another W30 at this point but won't rule it out.
5. Swick Started the thread back in Sept. because I wanted company during my first Whole 30. The changes over the past few months have been astronomical. Figured out it was a wheat/gluten issue causing my Fibro flare ups (along with a host of other issues) Currently eating mostly Whole 30/Keto with a very, very occasional bit of rice (if we go out to eat). Am planning on next whole 30 in January (or when enough other folks on the board want to start another!)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: December 07, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
Chia Pudding

This stuff rocks!

In a small bowl (I used gladware) combine 1 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup of chia seeds. Stir and let it gel up overnight. Top with fresh berries. Non-Whole30ers could add a tiny bit of honey but I found it sweet enough without (said 1967mama, never!)
Reminds me of yogurt!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:00:57 AM by 1967mama »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #719 on: December 07, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
4.  horsepoor  Still eating paleo and committed to not eating any garbage at the office.  Can go for a dessert or wine on Friday and Saturday nights.  I've added in rice, dairy and trace sugar.  Committed to staying away from wheat and desserts through New Year's.  Starting to focus more on my exercise regimen.  No plans to do another W30 at this point but won't rule it out.
5. Swick Started the thread back in Sept. because I wanted company during my first Whole 30. The changes over the past few months have been astronomical. Figured out it was a wheat/gluten issue causing my Fibro flare ups (along with a host of other issues) Currently eating mostly Whole 30/Keto with a very, very occasional bit of rice (if we go out to eat). Am planning on next whole 30 in January (or when enough other folks on the board want to start another!)
6. KiwiSonya - been here since late Sept. Failed to complete first whole30 but rocked a second attempt with the support of this group (thanks guys). Lost 6.5kg, slept better,  more even mood and energy levels, better skin, lost Pms and seasonal allergies improved. Remaining issues to sort are using food to solve emotional problems,  eating too fast and not savouring my food and eating my kids leftovers even when not hungry. Christmas will be a challenge but I'm going to be prepared (I'm even writing a little plan of how I will meet the challenges,  will share soon). Am keen for another whole30 in the new year to sort out the outstanding food issues.  Welcome newcomers!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #720 on: December 07, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
Hi mum22boys, I have been trying to think about the issue from my parents side. Basically I'm rejecting their food, the way they fed me growing up, and saying that they are living wrong. I know they are going to be suprised when they see me as they will realize that I'm on the right track and they're not. That's got to hurt. But I'm not going to let their emotional reactions stand between me and the good life. I want my 75 year old mum to know that she doesn't need to carry an extra 10kg into old age. I'm not going to brow beat them but I'm going to show them through my actions that there is a better way.  I'm going to cook as much as possible and show them how delicious healthy food can be (helps that it's summer here!). I'm going to spend the whole holidays running around with the kids rather than sitting around like slugs while the kids go off and play. As you know, I've had more than my share of off the rails moments but boy are we learning. Onwards and upwards now, aye...ks

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #721 on: December 08, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
6. KiwiSonya - been here since late Sept. Failed to complete first whole30 but rocked a second attempt with the support of this group (thanks guys). Lost 6.5kg, slept better,  more even mood and energy levels, better skin, lost Pms and seasonal allergies improved. Remaining issues to sort are using food to solve emotional problems,  eating too fast and not savouring my food and eating my kids leftovers even when not hungry. Christmas will be a challenge but I'm going to be prepared (I'm even writing a little plan of how I will meet the challenges,  will share soon). Am keen for another whole30 in the new year to sort out the outstanding food issues.  Welcome newcomers!
7. Caoineag - I have not yet completed a Whole30, starting Dec 25th (Christmas won't be challenging, no food associated with it in my house). We have been easing in for the past 2 months and creating recipes so that we don't fail when we do start. I am about 90% compliant at this point but have a yearly potluck coming up that I will be participating in and nothing about it will be compliant hence the late start (even then I will attempt to be as compliant as possible). I also had a diet soda addiction that I had to completely break before starting and a couple of other habits to change as well (I have completed this step). My biggest concern with a Whole 30 is how to get perfect compliance. The more I can establish the eating style now, the more likely I will succeed in my first run.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: December 08, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Following for inspiration. It's a little too close to our holiday trip for me to hop on just to fall off when the fudge appears, but I'd like to give Whole-30 a go in Jan or Feb! Over the last half year I've started a WFH job and have found that I have both gained weight and lost energy. Hoping eating differently better can help me out.

***edited because brain dumb.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:54:56 AM by cai »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #723 on: December 08, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
7. Caoineag - I have not yet completed a Whole30, starting Dec 25th (Christmas won't be challenging, no food associated with it in my house). We have been easing in for the past 2 months and creating recipes so that we don't fail when we do start. I am about 90% compliant at this point but have a yearly potluck coming up that I will be participating in and nothing about it will be compliant hence the late start (even then I will attempt to be as compliant as possible). I also had a diet soda addiction that I had to completely break before starting and a couple of other habits to change as well (I have completed this step). My biggest concern with a Whole 30 is how to get perfect compliance. The more I can establish the eating style now, the more likely I will succeed in my first run.

Congrats on kicking the soda addiction.  I gave up soda over 5 years, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made (aside from Whole30). I don't miss it AT ALL!  Now if only I could do that with chocolate!  :-) 

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #724 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
7. Botanist - I did two whole30's with a one week gap in between them from mid September through mid November. The results were awesome. I did a week of reentro after the last one, but I let my sugar demon creep up on me and I've now fallen off the wagon pretty hard. I will be restarting this coming week. I think I will be doing a whole60 at least this time round to see if I can put more distance between myself and sweets.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #725 on: December 08, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »
I'm struggling!  ARRRGGG!  This weekend was full of triggers, and I gave in. 
The good news is that I'm recognizing that this is not my new normal.  Eating healthy is my new normal, and I'm taking action more quickly then I've ever done in the past.  I'm coming to this awesome group, because I know I'll get a face punch from Faraday, and I'll move forward. I also realized that Thanksgiving really threw me out of my rhythm.  Not because it was a holiday, but instead because we were gone from home so I wasn't in my normal pattern of having a plan and prepping for the week. I honestly haven't been impacted too much by the holiday season, other then visiting my parents more often (which equates to crappy food).

Time for me to get back to meal planning and prepping, and back on track! It's a new day!

hey mom22 (and all!);

I'll facepunch you if you feel it will purge you of the evil demons. (I've learned that some folks actually WANT me to facepunch - maybe I'm creative or shocking or entertaining about it? I dunno. I call it "putting your cheek on my fist"....)

Falling off the wagon is "bad" and "cheating", yes. My wife has done it, I have done it.* I don't facepunch myself OR her if it happens. Instead, either or both of us take a walk or do yard work or anything involving enough exercise and exertion that the work burns off whatever it is either of us ate.

I call this "BURN IT TO EARN IT".

We are all going to get hit by surprise attacks like  mom22boys did. It's going to happen. Most of the time, we'll successfully resist.  However, that "mom attack" she found herself in, that's a difficult situation.

When it happens, it happens. So you're sitting there feeling shot-through with guilt, being upset, feeling like you've failed and all is lost.

There's something to remember about these events:

1) The guilt does not HELP your BODY. Go ahead and have your guilt. Work through the psychological effect however  you need to.

2) The guilt (and the sin itself) does not erase the progress you have already made. You don't destroy the success you have already achieved. Not with one, or maybe even two events.

3) The guilt does not get  you back on track. What gets you back on track is your love of what you are doing and your love of how it changes your body and your life!

It's far more important to BURN IT TO EARN IT. Maybe we learn to have an episode like that, guilt-free, but making sure it schedules us for the work (exercise) needed to burn the bad thing out of our bodies while we get back on the strait and narrow road?

Next Post: How do we get back on track?!?!?

PS: Now look - I'm not talking about a Kiwi-style falling off the wagon every other day and calling it good. I'm talking about a situation where you are ACTUALLY ON A WAGON and something happens and you have trouble, fall off, then get right back on again.

In Whole30, if you are doing it "right", you would start over. (I leave that decision to you Whole30 folks since you know more about that than I do.)

In Keto, you run the risk of dropping out of ketosis and ending your body's fat-burning mechanism. In that case, exercise can be critically important to getting back into ketosis as quickly as possible. If the cheat is really bad, it could take up to three days of careful eating to get back on the wagon.

(and BTW: another Keto trick for wagon-faller-offers is to jack up the fat intake. I'm not so sure I like that idea, especially if we're talking about animal fat and not coconut oil or fish oil. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I can't say I want to be in the condition that I need triage of that kind...)

In Paleo, well, I'm not sure if it matters that much to those folks at all - they just get back on the wagon and keep going, I guess?

*We've been on the keto lifestyle so long, that even when we cheat, it's tiny and we run back to the safety of the lifestyle, fearful of what will happen. What we call "cheating" now is nothing whatsoever like before we went keto. A few ounces of peanut butter, a quarter-sized piece of Russell Stover sugar-free chocolate or a piece of fried chicken that's got a little flour on it instead of the baking soda hack we've come to love.

In my case, I can get REALLY sick if I cheat - some confections, and even beers now, are sweetened with lactose. I had a milk stout once upon a time and it made me sick in ways I've never been sick before, an extreme negative reinforcement.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:14:24 PM by Faraday »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #726 on: December 08, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
How Do We Get Back On Track?

Everyone chooses the eating style they choose because there are foods on that eating style they adore. In my case, I do keto because my body has ALWAYS craved meat. I love fruits and vegetables too, but I've learned that if I start missing something like chocolate or forbidden fruits, I can go get some bacon or chicken or broccoli or steamed cabbage and I'm in absolute heaven.

Example: Tonight i was craving apple pie. Not just thinking I wanted one...I was having visions in my head of eating an entire fucking apple pie because I was in a grocery store where they have some that look so beautiful as to be damn near sexual in their pull on me.

What did I do? I went to the meat department looking for steak. Luckily, NY Strip Steak was ON SALE and I bought two beautiful inch-thick specimens to grill and enjoy at a stupidly low price. BOOM - I'd forgotten all about that damnable pie.

So: what you do is jot down the foods that you LOVE on your eating style, and stock up on 'em and eat 'em and enjoy 'em. Make them available for you to access at a moment's notice. Make them every bit as easy to access as a fucking bag of damnable potato chips!

If it's a recipe you have to pre-prepare, make it and freeze or refrigerate it or otherwise store/suspend it so you can get at it, quickly. So you can get at it faster than you can go to the store or a restaurant or order take-out.

The point is to ARM YOURSELF in every context that you might be assaulted. Give yourself options and alternatives that make it EASIER to stay on track, on your chosen eating style! SPEED is critical in this defensive tactic. You attack your own cravings with the food you love on your plan that is allowed and good for you.

Give yourself an escape plan. Does a monkey bowl do it for you? Then have one. A steak off the grill? Rock on.

Whatever  you do, take advantage of what's allowed by your chosen eating style to satisfy your body and your cravings and to strengthen yourself in the face of adversity.

Giving myself an escape plan is one of my key strategies for getting through "The Season of Insanity" on the keto lifestyle. In my refrigerator, I have a huge package of Hormel pre-cooked bacon. In the freezer, I have these "Ballpark" branded microwave turkey patties. I can have a hot 4 oz serving of turkey burger in 1 minute, 30 seconds if I need to.

I can have either the bacon or the turkey in less than 2 minutes. This actually makes it MORE DIFFICULT AND LESS APPEALING to cheat, than to simply stay the course!

PS: mom22, I think I recall you said you TRIED to ARM  YOURSELF, right? I think you actually took Whole30 compliant food with you that you had prepared? I'm not forgetting that - it's just that when momma drops comfort food RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU AT THE TABLE...well, that's one fresh hell right there. I can imagine it would simply require you retreating to home after the holiday to get back on track and overcome "eating in the shadow of the valley of death"... :-)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:39:58 PM by Faraday »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #727 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
Summary: SO, we've got THESE STRATEGIES here for dealing with the Season of Insanity:

Psychological:
1) Feel the guilt, let it saturate you, then move on. Don't wallow in it.
2) The cheat does not erase your progress.
3) Get up and get back on your plan because it makes you FEEL BETTER.

Physical:
1) Exercise to EARN IT AND BURN IT.
2) RAPID access to compliant foods that we LOVE.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #728 on: December 08, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Thanks for the reenforcement of what we need to be doing in the coming days and weeks. I have actually been remotivated by your extensive face punching a few weeks ago. And you are so right that we need to make doing the right thing the easiest choice. I have never made myself burn my sins, but will try this as it might make me raise the bar. I ain't going to do yard work to burn cornflakes!  Thanks again, Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: December 09, 2015, 01:01:45 AM »
Oh, Faraday! You've done it again! Your posts today are so timely and helpful to me during my reintroduction after a Whole60. Thank you so much for taking the time to type that all out. Your wisdom is infinitely valuable to me (and others) because you have BTDT. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I especially appreciated your suggestions on having a few favorite, healthy/compliant foods at the ready. This would make a world of difference for me and I plan on throwing some of these things in my grocery cart next week.

I am currently enjoying my reintroduction and it is not nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. It is boosting my confidence that I can really do this ... I really can "ride my own bike" as Melissa Hartwig calls it. Today I went out for lunch with a friend and had a salad that had tuna (mixed with a little mayo), a hardboiled egg, lots of crumbled bacon, and mixed greens. I had the sweet basil dressing on the side. It was very freeing to just have the healthy meal almost as it was intended to be served (I asked for no bread, and no grated cheese, since I haven't reintroduced either of those foods yet -- trying to go slowly). This, for me, is the freedom of reintroduction/Whole30ish living. For dinner, I had done a roasted chicken, potatoes and acorn squash. It was an excellent dinner and compliant. I think this can work for me in the long term and I'm pretty excited to see if I can NOT fall off the wagon because I'm eating satisfying, healthy meals day in and day out.

Edited typo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:41:43 AM by 1967mama »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #730 on: December 09, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
Summary: SO, we've got THESE STRATEGIES here for dealing with the Season of Insanity:

Psychological:
1) Feel the guilt, let it saturate you, then move on. Don't wallow in it.
2) The cheat does not erase your progress.
3) Get up and get back on your plan because it makes you FEEL BETTER.

Physical:
1) Exercise to EARN IT AND BURN IT.
2) RAPID access to compliant foods that we LOVE.

Faraday - I love you!  Just what I needed.  I printed this out, two copies. One for at work, and one for my fridge at home. Actually, I better print one out to make with me to my parents and stick it on their fridge too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #731 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
Glad to hear everyone is staying motivated, with or without Faraday's coaching and face-punching. 

1967, glad re-intro is going well for you!

I had plenty of red wine on Saturday night and was reminded about how much it disrupts my sleep, not to mention feeling rather crummy the next day.  I'm happy to say though, that I wasn't really tempted by any of the fancy craft beers DH had lined up for the occasion. 

Sunday, I will confess, I ate a "fun size" Reese's peanut butter cup.  It was more out of curiosity than really wanting it.  Was surprised to find that it tasted more waxy and gritty than delicious.  Had no urge to go back to the candy jar for another piece.

Monday was a retirement potluck for my boss's boss, whom I've worked with for about six years.  I brought my own mug of green tea, and as far as food, it was definitely non-compliant, but not too ridiculous.  Tons of people brought various stews and soups in different crock pots and it didn't feel right to fish around with the ladle trying to ascertain the ingredients, and then not take any.  If I remember, I ended up eating:  meatballs (sugary sauce), spinach-artichoke dip, my potato salad, some chile (ate just a couple kidney beans), a greenbean/tomato dish, and some kale salad that had tortilla strips in it.  Stayed far away from the dessert table and said I had to get back to work when they started cutting into the sheet cake.  Really didn't feel any ill effects other than getting a touch sleepy in the afternoon.

And perhaps it's a coincidence, but a bug has been going around the office.  Monday morning I woke up with a mild sore throat, yesterday felt slightly stuffy, and today felt a little tired and got some extra sleep after work.  I think I'm done with this cold with just that, whereas other people have missed work and come back looking awful.  Have to wonder if my immune system is that much stronger with the good nutrition.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #732 on: December 10, 2015, 06:58:48 AM »
I had plenty of red wine on Saturday night and was reminded about how much it disrupts my sleep, not to mention feeling rather crummy the next day.  I'm happy to say though, that I wasn't really tempted by any of the fancy craft beers DH had lined up for the occasion. 

Sunday, I will confess, I ate a "fun size" Reese's peanut butter cup.  It was more out of curiosity than really wanting it.  Was surprised to find that it tasted more waxy and gritty than delicious.  Had no urge to go back to the candy jar for another piece.

Sinner! :-)

Monday was a retirement potluck for my boss's boss, whom I've worked with for about six years.  I brought my own mug of green tea, and as far as food, it was definitely non-compliant, but not too ridiculous.  Tons of people brought various stews and soups in different crock pots and it didn't feel right to fish around with the ladle trying to ascertain the ingredients, and then not take any.  If I remember, I ended up eating:  meatballs (sugary sauce), spinach-artichoke dip, my potato salad, some chile (ate just a couple kidney beans), a greenbean/tomato dish, and some kale salad that had tortilla strips in it.  Stayed far away from the dessert table and said I had to get back to work when they started cutting into the sheet cake.  Really didn't feel any ill effects other than getting a touch sleepy in the afternoon.

We have one of those happening here today, a holiday potluck. I will be out of the building when it happens. I do not negotiate with food terrorists.

And perhaps it's a coincidence, but a bug has been going around the office.  Monday morning I woke up with a mild sore throat, yesterday felt slightly stuffy, and today felt a little tired and got some extra sleep after work.  I think I'm done with this cold with just that, whereas other people have missed work and come back looking awful.  Have to wonder if my immune system is that much stronger with the good nutrition.

Oh hell yes, Supergirl! (Yes I mean you, horsepoor. Immune systems get MUCH stronger when we eat right. Knock on wood, but the last time I had bad flu was the month before I went keto (it was January 2013). I've been SOLID ever since and watched people just fall OVER all around me. Last time I got sick is was exactly as you describe. That was about a month ago....)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:58:33 AM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #733 on: December 10, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »
I'm working my way through 'Thoughts and feelings-taking control if your moods and your life' and am finding it useful. It's difficult stuff but given a lot of my eating is for reasons other than hunger it has to be done.  Unnecessary eating is still unnecessary eating even if I am stuffing my face with boiled eggs instead of chocolate :) Have a great day everyone.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: December 10, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
I do not negotiate with food terrorists.

I am totally stealing this!
Thank you Faraday!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #735 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
I do not negotiate with food terrorists.

I am totally stealing this!
Thank you Faraday!

I'm serious about it, for sure.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #736 on: December 10, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
I come to share my go-to quick easy healthy cheap meal is steamed vegetables soaked in butter.  The way I do it it's pretty tasty.  I just made a simple guide with pictures so anyone who doesn't cook yet can see what I do.  It's keto / vegetarian / wallet friendly.  http://www.grenzbegriff.com/2015/12/one-way-to-make-delicious-easy-fast.html

Seems obvious to me but I imagine there are people have never thought of this and can't always spend the time cooking more complicated food and end up eating more expensive / less healthy as a result.

This is not quite as wallet friendly as eating rice and beans.  Before I started keto that was one of my favorites -- very tasty too.  This is a lot quicker and easier though.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #737 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:54 AM »
Grenzbegriff - Thanks for the recipe!

horsepoor - It makes me happy to think that maybe my immune system has improved too. I have not yet gotten sick this fall even though several of my kids have had sniffles and such.  I feel like a walking science experiment.

I have come here to admit that I have had my first stumble since October 5th.  I made a massive double batch of real fudge last night .. maple walnut. The kind grandma used to make. I guess my stumble really started the day before when a friend took me out for lunch. I had a salad with tuna and an egg on it. I think I reported on this lunch upthread. What I ....erm...failed to mention what that I had a teeny tiny piece of fudge with that lunch.  I'm talking less than 1 square cm (1/2 an inch). I felt that as part of my reintroduction, I wanted to prove to myself that I had my sugar dragon under control and that a tiny piece of fudge, while lovely, would not break me. Well, it did .... grrrrrr!!!!!

Freaking Sugar Dragon!!!!!!!!

So I found myself, 1 night later, making the aforementioned giant batch of fudge for the children. No it wasn't ... it was for me; who am I kidding?! :-(  Thankfully, I've probably had a total of 1 tablespoon of fudge crumbs and bits over the 2 days its been residing in my kitchen.

I'm so mad at myself. But as I laid here thinking about it, and reread Faraday's posts on guilt and getting back on track,  I've concluded that I'm over it and the guilt will not bring me down. Apparently my sugar dragon is still lurking in the background, ready to pounce with very little provocation. What a strange and interesting journey of self-discovery this is for me!

My detour into sugarland was tasty and fun and caused zero problems for me - no stomachache, no lightheadedness, no foggy brain, just a heavy dose of G.U.I.L.T.   I wonder if I'd had a stronger negative physical reaction, might that have caused me to put on the brakes? I felt kind of like a teenager sneaking my first drink or something .. and liking it <sigh>.

What I like more than the sweet taste of fudge, though, is how good I've been feeling, how energetic I am, how much happier I am, how I'm shrinking and fitting into clothes from 2006. The list goes on and on.  I want and need to keep getting healthier. I'm still 60+ pounds from a healthy weight, so I am realizing that I can't go back, and I don't want to go back to the way I was eating before.

The fudge is now put away in the deep freeze for Christmas. I bought myself some precooked italian sausages for the freezer and also pulled out some bacon to cook tomorrow. I'm hoping protein will settle this storm for me. Tomorrow will be 100% compliant.

I love that I can come here and report in, otherwise, this would all just swirl around in my head well into the wee hours. You guys are so awesome ... wish we could have a group ((((hug))).

Peace out!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #738 on: December 11, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »
Hi 1967mama, thanks for your honesty (will leave the face punching to Faraday). I know it sucks that the sugar dragon is still there (and part of me wonders if you can ever be rid of it) but at least you know now. And now that you know you can make a plan. Hugs from me. Ks

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #739 on: December 11, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
Like you said, science experiment.  You learned something with the couple bites of fudge and course-corrected quickly.  No damage done.  This is a victory, not something to feel guilty about.

ETA:  cold totally gone yesterday and today.  Woot!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:04:27 PM by horsepoor »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #740 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
So that you-all know I don't live in some kind of perfect la-la land....this was in my work email inbox today:

Holiday Cheer Wrapping Party and Cookie Exchange

<blah blah here>
On Monday, we’ll be doing a cookie exchange and wrapping party!  Please join in the festivities and bring some cookies to share with everyone. 
<blah blah here>

Along with a meeting invitation, which I have just now declined. Fortunately, I have a nearby meeting that day which I can stretch out to cover that time span.

Yesterday, when someone kept nagging, suggesting I just come and exercise restraint, I used the line "I don't negotiate with food terrroists..." The look on their face and the resulting silence, was AWESOME.

The discussion takes an entirely different meaning when you properly frame what the other person is actually doing.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #741 on: December 11, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Hi 1967mama, thanks for your honesty (will leave the face punching to Faraday). I know it sucks that the sugar dragon is still there (and part of me wonders if you can ever be rid of it) but at least you know now. And now that you know you can make a plan. Hugs from me. Ks

KS, you are a hoot. Putting 1967mama's cheek on my fist like that! *

Now: I don't mind at all facepunching anyone, and if any of you actually WANTED me to do it, you can call me names (do a good job - at least a few obscenities and something about my parentage are required!) and I'll try to rise to the occasion....

But I've come to a kind of conclusion that there's not anyone in this thread who's clueless - I think everyone here well-knows what they should be doing.

I think the purpose of facepunching is to point out mistaken assumptions that lead to contradictions or failure. At least that's what it was when I joined the forums a few years ago and suffered mightily for my opinions on mortgage principal abatement. (the final chapter is yet to be written on that book, and I predict I won't be the fool when it's done....)

Maybe it's important for everyone to be able to confess their transgressions here without the facepunch. OR, does the facepunch actually HELP purge the confessor? Talk to me sinners - tell me what you think on this concept?!?

With things like Whole30/Paleo/Keto, we're all focusing on HEALTH RESULTS. Losing weight is a wonderful, desired result, but the end-game is changing our bodies every bit as much as MMM/frugalism/stoic lifestyle changes our lives. If you don't stick to your guns and your chosen lifestyle, you don't get the optimal health and body you were looking for.

Imagine the sadness of losing even one day in a body you aren't happy with. It's EVEN WORSE than working the daily job - you get to leave the job at the end of the workday, but you don't get to leave your body (Excepting sleep or unconsciousness or death, and suicide isn't actually a SOLUTION to that problem...)

So you really do get out of it what you put into it. No one gets to fake it. So maybe facepunching is of no value. Maybe it's more important to most clearly define this war we find ourselves in and build up both our defenses and our offenses in order to win the war.

*KS, I might just delete my facepunch - tell me what you think I should do. In restrospect, I doubt it matters and I'm surely not in love with my own words - I can always make more! :-)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:32:03 PM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #742 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Am laughing at visions of Faraday retracting his facepunch in slow motion resulting in unexpected punch to his own face. There is wisdom in your post about if you don't stick to your guns you won't get the health you want. I think about the big bag of flour I was carrying and the one I'm still carrying and I don't want to go back to carrying both ever! So that means a lifestyle radically different from the old one that gained the weight.  While I feel like a failure when I cheat, every cheat has taught me that the food I thought I was missing was shit. Carrot cake (yuck), chocolate (too sweet), fries (greasy grossness) etc. Yes, I was cheating on my healthy plan but is it that bad in the grand scheme if the take home message is 'I'm not doing that again?' I can't keep eating healthy because Melissa says so - it needs to be my choice and if it takes 6 months or a year of experimenting so be it. I look back on how I was eating (sugar and processed carbs at every meal) and actually think I've come a long way in 3 months and you all have too. Faraday, you are our embodiment of nutrition perfection, and while we all aspire to get to your position of staunch nutritional baddassity, we are also mortals who will stumble on the way.  Hmm, my point, I forget. Apologies for the ramble.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #743 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
Am laughing at visions of Faraday retracting his facepunch in slow motion resulting in unexpected punch to his own face.

I imagine a giant alien facepunch from the sky onto everyone who eats poorly.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »
Bwahahaha!!! Love that image Faraday!

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Today has been infinitely better and I feel great!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #745 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
I once saw it written that we are digging our graves with our teeth. That imagery stuck with me!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #746 on: December 11, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
Bwahahaha!!! Love that image Faraday!

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Today has been infinitely better and I feel great!

Your posting really laid out some tough stuff there. The complexity of the mother-daughter relationship is far beyond the mother-son relationship. Still, I believe it's important for everyone here to fight for their right to control their food intake - I consider it a fundamental human right.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #747 on: December 11, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »
You're right, Faraday. My mum pretends she is all about moderation and healthy eating but has a pretty screwy relationship with food. My nana spent her whole life on a diet - I distinctly remember the Israeli Army diet and the Grapefruit diet. All the while baking pies and cakes for her husband and sons. Both my sister and I have food issues but opposite ones. When I'm happy I'm thin and when she's happy she puts on weight. I remember growing up as the fat (and unhappy) sister while my sister was the thin (and also unhappy) sister.  But going into Xmas we all need to take the power back!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #748 on: December 12, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Sorry I haven't been posting much, I have been here and reading, but it has been a nutty few days!

I love that this is an inclusive environment where we feel safe sharing our successes and our challenges. It seems like it has been a challenging/learning experience kinda week for everyone!

I once got into an argument with an ex about regret. He was trying to make me admit that I had regrets in my life. I said to him "As long as I am learning something from the experience, there is no room in my life for regret. It makes you feel like shit and it doesn't help you in any way." Guilt is the same way. Not sure if that helps anyone, felt compelled to share :)

Hubs had some interesting insights that came via a cookie experience. They were baking off some cookie dough one of the guys brought in from his kid's fundraiser. Hubs had a tiny little bite and said the sugar dragon lit his brain up like the fourth of July. He both wanted to dive into the plate of cookies and was totally repulsed at the actual TASTE of them. How many hydrogenated oils and forms of sugar can one pack into cookie dough? Thought it was curious because he has dabbled in homemade sweets one or twice and didn't have any reaction remotely close to this.

We managed to survive one of two office Christmas parties happening this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of gluten free/complaint food available! Didn't worry about the bits of cheese on the salads and such (Am a bit of stuffed up today, knew that would happen and figured I'm ok with it)  Stayed away from the dessert table - actually had no interest.

We also gave away our drink tickets. I'm uber proud of myself. I'm rather introverted and the idea of an office Christmas party in general makes me want to go hide. We don't drink much, but I usually find a little liquid courage necessary for an event I am expected to engage in pointless small talk. Tonight's Christmas party is an all-nighter next town over - dancing is expected *sigh*  Hope it goes as well!

Hope you are all doing well, please keep sharing your thoughts/triumphs and challenges!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:52:36 AM by swick »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #749 on: December 12, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »
Hubs had some interesting insights that came via a cookie experience. They were baking off some cookie dough one of the guys brought in from his kid's fundraiser. Hubs had a tiny little bite and said the sugar dragon lit his brain up like the fourth of July.

I've had this exact experience with McDonalds burgers. I got fast food occasionally when I was a kid. More frequently when I had my own money. Then I gave up McDonalds for ~3 years*. Eventually, on a whim I returned for a super-special treat burger. It was revolting. Tasted like chemicals. That meat is definitely not really real meat. I started planning my next burger immediately.

*Don't give me too much credit. Not willpower or deliberate habit change. First, too poor to afford. Then, station in GawdAwful Alaska. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!