Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427034 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #600 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »
Ran to school today with a heavy bag thinking shit this is heavy but watch me go - only to realize it weighed about as much as the fat I've lost -no wonder I used to get tired! Hope everyone else is doing well. Ks

It shocks me when I think about the 70 lbs I lost:
- a 50 lb sack of farm animal feed PLUS 20 lbs.
- a 5th grader
- the weight of almost 5 road bikes or 3 mountain bikes.
- almost 10 newborn babies
- More than 8 gallons of whole milk

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #601 on: November 23, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
That sounds like a great plan KS!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #602 on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »
Awesome Sonya, glad you're back on the wagon and feeling good!

It is profound to equate a weight loss to all of those objects, wow!  Sometimes I pick up a 50# bag of feed and wonder how the fuck I ever carried that around on my body all day.  Mind boggling.

I, honestly, am feeling just OK here on Day 16.  I guess I have less of an afternoon slump, and having cravings cut back is nice.  Otherwise, I'm sleeping well, but feel like I need 9-10 hours per night.  Maybe my body is just doing deferred maintenance now that I'm not as ridiculously busy as I was from about March through October.  DH is struggling more than me with wanting to cheat. I (semi) jokingly told him last night that he must have a pretty bad junk food addiction, which he admits, but I don't think he's ready to kick. I've realized that I don't really miss sweets, so I may just go through the end of the year without anything but added sugar.  OTOH, with sweets, I've decided that Lara bars are kind of a SWYPO for me.  They're just too easy to grab and eat in a few bites, so I'm going to toss them in the back of the freezer for a while.

Went for a 5 mile jog after work today.  It was better than last week's run, in that my legs didn't feel leaden, but I just had one gear and didn't feel like I could summon any sort of speed.  Not sure if it's the diet or my training, but I miss the lightness of feeling like I can sprint at any time.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »
Thank you lovely Faraday for the suggestion to track my food. At first I came out in sweats thinking how much I hated doing that on Weight Watchers.  Of coursre I had no control over my cravings so it was really just a diary of my failures and that didn't feel good. But I am realising it's value as a tool during reintro. Two days ago I was on fire, compliant food all day. Came home after a busy day with the kids and at 4.30 thought 'let's wash the outside of the entire house'. It took an hour with kid help and I should have been exhausted but wasn't.  Yesterday, I had a bowl of cornflakes after healthy lunch and down I went. Spent most of the afternoon on the couch exhausted.  That bowl of cornflakes ruined my afternoon!  Not having that. It is powerful to document these things to truly realise what I'm getting. It's not 'here my friend have this delicious food that I baked you' it is 'I want to zap your energy with some sugar laden crap'. Umm, no thanks mate. Must be channeling you today, Faraday. Have a great day everyone.  Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #604 on: November 24, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
It's great that you are tracking KiwiSonya!

I am curious, though, are you interested in figuring out which food specifically trigger you? Even a bowl of cornflakes will have several different "problem" food groups in it. So it might be harder to isolate what exactly is giving you the issues. Is it the sugar? Is it the corn? Is it the milk? (assuming you had milk) Is it the carbohydrate load that is causing your insulin and hormones to go all whack?

Great to hear how everyone is doing!

Faraday - love the visual comparisons :)

Have a zucchini and smoked salmon quiche in the oven for a late breakfast/early lunch that I am going to top with a little leftover hollandaise sauce.

I have discovered that if I have my coconut buzzed tea in the morning, I have been feeling quite content with two meals a day.

Yesterday, I was just feeling so incredibly grateful. I had the perfect day...not as in "the best day ever"  but I got up super early, was able to get a ton of client and personal work done and barely noticed the time or that I was sitting at the computer for a few hours (vs. a few months ago when I thought I would have to give up writing, and I could only sit at the computer for about 5 minutes at a time before I started to ache) I hade a healthy brunch, took the dog for a walk, came home and went a house cleaning spree (again, that much odd body movement would have seen me curled up in a ball of pain afterwards with a horrible night sleep)  and I was able to get more work done in the afternoon (Brain fog would have kicked in by then)

Then we went out for dinner, and I guiltlessly ordered a lamb shank (Usually, I figure they are too expensive, but it was the only compliant thing on the menu and while not good for the mustachian side of things, I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it) over some great conversations with some good friends.

It's really all the simple little things, but life is just so much better now. I just have to remind myself of this every time I see something wheaty and tasty :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #605 on: November 24, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
You're right Swick, nothing scientifically rigorous about cornflakes with milk. I just wanted it:). But have been better today and have been compliant until deliberately having a chunk of aged cheddar.  I am still on daily antihistamines for pollen so didn't expect anything dramatic. Well, within 15 mins my nose and eyes were streaming and my glands on my neck were all swollen. I knew dairy wasn't my thing. Will see how long it takes to subside. Reminder to not eat dairy at parties or important events as the snot explosion is not pretty. Was going to add extra dairy with dinner but think this is enough for one day. Still keen to try yoghurt at some point. Tomorrow I'll do bread at lunch. I want to keep some productivity so will do jobs in morning and reintros at lunch. Glad you are having a perfect day Swick. I love the fact that the main benefits are not weight.  My sister and MIL have both bought the book and are giving it a try so that is exciting!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: November 24, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »
Horsepoor - I didn't realize until today that we are on exactly the same day! Its my second Whole30. I, too, have to be verrrry careful with Lara bars. I made my own a week ago and they're awfully tasty!

Kiwisonya - You have perfectly summarized my Weight Watchers failure(s) and why it never worked for me. Interestingly, I am at the same weight that I "got down to" on WW, so now I can't wait to bust through that barrier!! I loved your description of washing the house! So awesome! As I head toward reintroduction at the end of this Whole30, I am so afraid to experience reactions like your dairy one .. ugh .. sounds dreadful.

Swick - I loved how you said that, "...life is just so much better now." That also describes me to a T. I have been giving some thought to reintroduction since I've done a Whole60 here and am feeling a little bit of monotony with the limited food choices. For example, today I had a nice baked piece of salmon on a huge bed of romaine. It would have been even better, and possibly more filling, with quinoa in there. I have been hungry for a few days now. My daughter, also on Whole30, suggested that I need more protein and she's probably right. I was a vegetarian back in my university days for about 5 years, so I've not been a huge fan of meat, even though I eat it now.
By the way, could you please tell me how you make your coconut buzzed tea? I'd like to make some as it sounds like it would fill me up a little more.

Faraday - How long did it take you to lose 70 pounds? Was it all done using keto strategies? Whole 30? Other? :-) I have so far to go still and I don't DON'T DON'T want to give up and go back to the crappy way I was living before. I feel so much better, I have improved my confidence and self esteem, I'm a better wife and mother, just so many great things going on for me but I need to switch my thinking from short term to long term...I'm never going back to the way I was eating before. This is the new me and my new lifestyle.

Tonight for dinner I made a good meaty spaghetti sauce that simmered away in the crockpot all day. My daughter and I had our zoodles. Six small zucchini makes just about the right amount for the two of us plus enough for a smaller lunch for me tomorrow. Oh, when I was making our salad for lunch, topped with salmon, I laid out all the plates (picture a counter covered in plates) and put a handful of lettuce on each one, then the dressing (whole30 compliant) and then sprinkled them all with parmesan cheese, intending to leave mine un-parmed. GRRRR! I parmed it and had to wash off my lettuce and run it through the salad spinner again!

Have a great day everyone!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #607 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:45 AM »

By the way, could you please tell me how you make your coconut buzzed tea? I'd like to make some as it sounds like it would fill me up a little more.

I don't do tea, but with my coffee, I just throw it in the blender with about a tablespoon of coconut oil until it's blended in.  I'll vary the amount of oil depending on if I'm eating or if I'm trying to stave off hunger for a couple hours.

AliasGrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #608 on: November 25, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
First, I want you all to know i have been reading this thread for months for inspiration.  I am a long time whole30 veteran and sometimes I still need motivation. This thread is the most supportive thread I have ever come across. I sent Melissa the link to it so she can see how wonderful you all are.

I have been hungry for a few days now. My daughter, also on Whole30, suggested that I need more protein and she's probably right.
I wanted to say that for me, when I am hungry, it's because I have not eaten enough fat. I find the days where I don't have avocado or whatever fat you choose, that I am quite hungry between meals and have horrible cravings. Fat is key for me. I don't ever count my cooking fat as my fat either. I always need additional.

Have a wonderful day!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
First, I want you all to know i have been reading this thread for months for inspiration.  I am a long time whole30 veteran and sometimes I still need motivation. This thread is the most supportive thread I have ever come across. I sent Melissa the link to it so she can see how wonderful you all are.

I have been hungry for a few days now. My daughter, also on Whole30, suggested that I need more protein and she's probably right.
I wanted to say that for me, when I am hungry, it's because I have not eaten enough fat. I find the days where I don't have avocado or whatever fat you choose, that I am quite hungry between meals and have horrible cravings. Fat is key for me. I don't ever count my cooking fat as my fat either. I always need additional.

Have a wonderful day!
Thanks for the great compliment, AliasGrace! We absolutely agree that we have an awesome group! I've learned so much from this amazing group. And gotten some kickass recipes too! Are you doing another round soon, currently doing one now, mixture? We would love to hear more of your experience, especially with reintro. Most of us are struggling with that area.

Thanks for the tip on the fats too. I was thinking the same thing, but being pretty to this, I wasn't sure. I have trouble getting in my healthy fats too. I'm not a huge avocado fan, so I tend to eat nuts. I need to work on that area more.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: November 25, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »

I don't do tea, but with my coffee, I just throw it in the blender with about a tablespoon of coconut oil until it's blended in.  I'll vary the amount of oil depending on if I'm eating or if I'm trying to stave off hunger for a couple hours.

This is basically what I do too, except I add a splash of coconut milk as well. I add a bit more oil ( as you have probably gathered by now, I'm not one for measuring!) too. I also just use my immersion blender because it is easier to clean and I feel like I have more control vs buzzing hot liquid in a blender.

Thank you for your heart-warming comments, AliasGrace. This thread is one of the nicest/supportive places on the internet, IMO. Welcome!

1967mama - it might be that you need more protein, but I would experiment with your fat levels too. Like AliasGrace mentions, getting enough fat seems to really be the difference for me. If you are teetering between Keto and not - that is where people seem to be having trouble (My hubs for sure) ...Thoughts, Faraday?

Yesterday We had a bamboo shoot and turkey coconut milk Thai curry over zoodles for supper. Tonight I'm thinking pork and cabbage stir-fry :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
AliasGrace - Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to offer your kind comments and suggestions - much appreciated! I would totally agree Mom22boys that many of us are looking for assistance with reintroduction. I have 13 days to go till I'm done my Whole60. I went back to the Whole30 website to look up information on fats and found that to be very informative.

Swick - I tried it in my morning tea. I do have an immersion blender so I used that. Is it normal for dots of fat to be floating on the surface of the tea? It was interesting to drink my tea this way. Not unpleasant, just different than I'm used to, I guess. I do like coconut and so adding the oil, and your suggestion now about adding coconut milk as well, will go into my 2nd cup of tea this morning:-) I had 3 eggs and a big handful of spinach for breakfast and am having a palm sized piece of salmon with my lunch salad today. Insteresting aside on the coconut oil -- I had surgery in the summer and put some oil on my scar this morning. I have been using bio-oil and it just seems to make it more itchy. Now I've stopped using it because I was thinking maybe I was reacting to the bio-oil. Anyhoo, the coconut oil felt very nice so I'm going to start doing that daily instead -- what a wonder fat!

I don't know how to make a curry. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Just not familiar with that type of cooking. Approximate measurements are fine with me - I'm not afraid of cooking :-)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #612 on: November 25, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the lovely comments,  AliasGrace. Ooh 1967mama, the wonderful world of curry. To get yourself started I would go to an Indian/Asian food store and buy a mild curry spice mix and some chilli flakes. Fry an onion, fry small chunks of whatever meat you like, add a tbsp of curry powder and coat everything in that. Add a tin of coconut milk and a ton of vege and let everything simmer for a bit. The chilli flakes can be added near the end or even sprinkled on top if you decide you want heat. I like spicy but I need rhe kids to eat it too! Fresh basil or coriander added to the top as a garnish is nice. Can serve with cauliflower rice. That is the basic deal but once you start the variations are endless- different meat, different spice mixes/pastes, tinned toms instead of coconut milk, different vege. Curries are my favorite! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 25, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »

Swick - I tried it in my morning tea. I do have an immersion blender so I used that. Is it normal for dots of fat to be floating on the surface of the tea? It was interesting to drink my tea this way. Not unpleasant, just different than I'm used to, I guess. I do like coconut and so adding the oil, and your suggestion now about adding coconut milk as well, will go into my 2nd cup of tea this morning:-) I had 3 eggs and a big handful of spinach for breakfast and am having a palm sized piece of salmon with my lunch salad today. Insteresting aside on the coconut oil -- I had surgery in the summer and put some oil on my scar this morning. I have been using bio-oil and it just seems to make it more itchy. Now I've stopped using it because I was thinking maybe I was reacting to the bio-oil. Anyhoo, the coconut oil felt very nice so I'm going to start doing that daily instead -- what a wonder fat!

I don't know how to make a curry. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Just not familiar with that type of cooking. Approximate measurements are fine with me - I'm not afraid of cooking :-)

Opps...I had forgotten about that...the reason I started to put the coconut milk in my tea is because it buzzes into a nice foam (Much like a Latte) so you don't get that oilyness.  You do have to make sure you drink it while it is warm, otherwise you get an unpleasant coconut oil "crust"

I will admit to cheating and using curry paste. Thai Kitchen is super duper expensive. I have found a really like the Mae Ploy Brand. You do have to read the ingredients, I think all are compliant except one that I noticed. They have a bunch of different ones so it is just a matter of figuring out which heat level you like.

To make the curry, melt a big scoop of coconut oil in a pot, and some curry paste - I usually start with a couple of tbs or so. Give it a quick fry to release the flavours. add any veggies you want to sautee. I usually add an onion, bamboo shoots, peppers. Chopped thawed frozen spinach is good too (add it near the end)  Add your protein and add a can of coconut milk. Stir it all up and play with the flavours, adding more curry paste or more coconut milk to get it to the consistency you like.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #614 on: November 25, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Now to follow from yesterday,  the runny nose etc that I got from yesterday's cheese reintro cleared within an hour, which probably explains wht I have never erased it from my diet before. Once it cleared I decided to press on and have milk in an afternoon cup of tea and a yoghurt for dessert. Nothing earth shattering happened but I didn't feel great and my glands stayed swollen. Perhaps dairy is one of those sources of silent inflammation for me. I don't think I will ban dairy altogether but it is going to be an occasional thing and only when it's really delicious , like in cheesecake or a delicious stinky French blue cheese. None of this 6 cups of white tea a day nonsense. 
Got up at 5am this morning to have a big declutter session using KonMari. I am most productive in the morning and it has felt good to have a big purge of stuff. Felt good on waking so thought I would crack into gluten reintro. Made bacon,  2 eggs, mushrooms,  tomatoes and my first courgette from my garden. Add one slice of my former favorite,  San Francisco Sourdough bread on the side. Noted that I didn't enjoy it's heavy texture the way I used to. It felt bland and heavy compared to my lively vegetables.  Was a big breakfast but 20 mins later I was back for another slice. Definitely 'food without brakes' for me. Tried to talk myself out of it but was suprised to find I couldn't.  I went back to tidying but before I knew it a second slice had fallen off the loaf and leaped by itself into my mouth! Definitely psychological effects going on here. Will see how the rest of the day goes. Don't be suprised if I fully fly off the rails today. Luckily I have run out of cornflakes!  Have a great day everyone.  Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #615 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:49 AM »
Was a big breakfast but 20 mins later I was back for another slice. Definitely 'food without brakes' for me. Tried to talk myself out of it but was suprised to find I couldn't.  I went back to tidying but before I knew it a second slice had fallen off the loaf and leaped by itself into my mouth! Definitely psychological effects going on here. Will see how the rest of the day goes. Don't be suprised if I fully fly off the rails today. Luckily I have run out of cornflakes!  Have a great day everyone.  Ks

Kiwi - it is important to do the reintro and get the data - but remember, you are stronger than whatever psychological bull crap your mind (and body!) is trying to pull on you right now. Please take the time to really check in with yourself and make sure that you are reintroducing foods consciously and for the right reason. 

Just realizing that the wheat has this kind of psychological hold is a big breakthrough! Sit with it for a while, become the observer of your thoughts and feelings around it and don't  let the feelings and cravings take hold. Make your choices conscious and deliberate and from a place of knowing how far you have come, how amazing you feel, and the "new" you.

You got this!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #616 on: November 25, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »
Faraday - How long did it take you to lose 70 pounds? Was it all done using keto strategies? Whole 30? Other? :-) I have so far to go still and I don't DON'T DON'T want to give up and go back to the crappy way I was living before. I feel so much better, I have improved my confidence and self esteem, I'm a better wife and mother, just so many great things going on for me but I need to switch my thinking from short term to long term...I'm never going back to the way I was eating before. This is the new me and my new lifestyle.

'67mama: 10 months, 18 days. That's almost to the minute. I've attached a photo of "the moment" on the scale.

I started March 2, 2014 at 282 lbs. I hit 200 lbs December 20, 2014. I've "leveled up" to about 212 lbs currently. I'd like to see 180 lbs on the scale but I'm giving that thought before attempting.

And BTW: The US BMI guidelines have me "normal" at 180 lbs at 6ft 1in. But I have no doubt I'd look really bad and scare the crap out of people if I went down to 180lbs very quickly. I can and I will, but I'm giving it some careful thought: It feels like my body is trying to tell me something right now and I'm trying to understand what.

DW and I ate eat according to classical keto guidelines. We got REALLY tired of low variety after about 2 months, so we started using the recipes on ruled.me. That's how I got so good at making the Lo-Carb Pizza.

Full Disclosure: We sparingly use Atkins meals and Atkins meal bars as "emergency rations". However, the Atkins meals were making my wife sick because they contain a lot of ONION and the bars were making me sick because they have lactose.  SO: although we were doing Keto, we still really had to pay attention to the CONCEPT of Whole30: weeding out foods that make you sick.

There is debate in the keto community about whether or not to exercise. I ignored this, as I am a rabid cyclist. When I started to see my lap times increase dramatically, I was completely hooked.

You've got to be aware that DW and I were extremely strongly motivated. She, by hatred of a remark about her weight made to her by a woman we had to be associated with at the time. Me, by fear of Diabetes and the realization that I was suffering symptoms that could eventually kill me.

So for her, the original motivator WAS weight. For me, it was the pain of ill health. As we went on and symptoms of ill health resolved. (EVEN in her - although she won't admit. She stopped snoring and her blood pressure became controllable.)

I became even more dedicated to Keto because I began to resolve chronic, painful health problems that not only made me suffer, but cost me a buttload of money in doctor visits.

DW continues to have problems wanting bread or cake. I can take it or leave it. We will indulge on very rare occasions: Her Birthday, for example. We MIGHT indulge on Thanksgiving, but that is not a given.

I love to have homebrewed ale with my sons in either work setting or social setting. I live "in moratorium", but I will very occasionally have one with my sons. I expect to have one or two this week with them at the thanksgiving meal.

Now: When I "cheat" and have an ale, I don't get away with it. In fact, I suffer perceptibly. My gut inflames, I pop up about 3-6 lbs, I retain water and I feel like shit. My strategy for this is to go back into moratorium and EARN AND BURN. Remember, I'm an avid cyclist, so I'll do a 30 mile loop until the inflammation and weight gain are gone.

KEY to our success is thinking ahead and having coping strategies. Remember my "Season of Insanity" manifesto? That's not tongue-in-cheek: I believe it as truly as the sun will rise tomorrow. I do not believe it's a conspiracy theory, I believe it's only "good marketing" by food vendors.  (FIVE OREO displays in high-traffic areas of the store? FUCK YOU.)

ruled.me was a lifesaver. We searched for recipes we liked, tried them and if they were good, printed them out and put them in a notebook. The lo-carb pizza was probably the biggest "win" of all, since it answered our craving for a bready, savory hot pizza.

DW and I got plenty of questions, challenges and people sticking their noses in our business. She reacted admirably and charitably. I reacted with anger, accusation and challenge to the weak-willed cotton-headed unwashed masses. Important thing is to push back on people who challenge: You have to turn back the opposition or they will keep coming at you.

We are still keto to this day and we have maintained our weight loss. I'd like to go even thinner, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that without looking gaunt and older. I'm thinking maybe just keep the weight loss at an extremely low rate - maybe 1/2 lb a week or so - and add a little more protein. Dunno, I'll figure it out as I go.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:30:00 PM by Faraday »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #617 on: November 25, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
Faraday, thanks for sharing more of your story.  Great that you and your wife are in it together and so strongly motivated!

Kiwi, if you haven't read it, you might be interested in the book Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter.  It definitely helped me understand the "bread leaping into mouth" phenomenon and made me put more space between myself and everything wheat.  I think that if it doesn't cause a physical reaction, it can be added back in small amounts after an extended break, and not have the same psychological hold.  I don't think 30 days is enough when it comes to wheat, though, and it's something that takes constant vigilance if and when you do add it back.

1967 - as luck would have it, there was a 1-day special on paleo Kindle books yesterday (I forgot about it until the last hour, otherwise would have posted here) and one I picked up is Thai paleo.  Will take a look at it and post up a curry recipe or two for you.  I really like making a more Indian-inspired curry these days with ground beef (yes, I see the irony) using toasted black cumin, brown mustard seeds and tomato.  I first used this NomNom Paleo recipe for spiced keema and have been riffing on it ever since.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/57975313761/deconstructed-samosa-spiced-keema

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #618 on: November 25, 2015, 12:29:04 PM »
... the runny nose etc...
... I decided to press on and have milk ... my glands stayed swollen.

Perhaps dairy is one of those sources of silent inflammation for me. I don't think I will ban dairy altogether but it is going to be an occasional thing and only when it's really delicious , like in cheesecake or a delicious stinky French blue cheese.

... Felt good on waking so thought I would crack into gluten reintro ...

... San Francisco Sourdough bread on the side. Noted that I didn't enjoy it's heavy texture ... It felt bland and heavy
... Was a big breakfast but 20 mins later I was back for another slice. Definitely 'food without brakes' for me. Tried to talk myself out of it but was surprised to find I couldn't ... before I knew it a second slice had fallen off the loaf and leaped by itself into my mouth!

... Will see how the rest of the day goes. Don't be suprised if I fully fly off the rails today ...

You, KiwiSonya, are a Food Addict.

These items should be gone from your house. You should have purged your cupboards and fridge long ago.  You are putting up with a snotty nose and sinus infections to have dairy? What: Your husband goes in to kiss your cheek and gets snot on his cheek? But hey, you're getting to LOVE THAT DAIRY, eh?!?

This is not Whole30. This is not even "Whole01". You joyfully jump off the wagon with each and every meal  I am scared terrified to think how you must eat when you aren't trying at all?

"Don't be surprised if I fully fly off the rails today..." You aren't on the rails. You aren't even in SIGHT of the rails.  You've already told us you are planning to fail at least three times on Thanksgiving Day.

From Fight Club:

[Marla Singer enters, smoking]
Marla: This is cancer, right?
Narrator: [voice over] This chick Marla Singer did not have testicular cancer. She was a liar. She had no diseases at all. I had seen her at “Free and Clear”, my blood parasite group Thursdays. Then at “Hope”, my bi-monthly sickle cell circle. And again at “Seize the Day”, my tuberculous Friday night. Marla…the big tourist. Her lie reflected my lie. Suddenly, I felt nothing. I couldn’t cry, so once again I couldn’t sleep.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #619 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
Faraday,

The whole point of the whole 30 reintro period is to try these foods, see what affects they have on us and how we should navigate them.

I noticed, for me,  there is a bit of a grieving process that comes along with not being able to eat certain foods again, and yes there is some resistance as well, you have to work through it, and everyone does it differently. Reading a few quick posts on the "stages of grief" were very interesting to me because I could easily draw the parallels to how I was feeling. about food. it seems silly on the surface, but there you go.

It is also much harder if you don't have obvious physical symptoms it is easier to rationalize and figure it's okay. We all have to find our own way and figure out what works for us. The journey is worth it, KiwiSonya!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
Dearest Faraday, I do so appreciate your concern for my mind and body. It does sound weird but Swick is right there is method to the madness. I couldn't keep eating like this because Melissa Hartwig says so, I need to do it because it is how I really want to live deep down inside.  You're the embodiment of someone who is already there and I love that we have your example to follow. But yip, I'm deliberately eating these foods that I think will make me feel crap so that I can really know that and understand the consequences for my body. I don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself but that I'm making better choices. The former would make me feel beaten, the latter will give me a glow of smug righteousness that I'll probably struggle to keep to myself. But first the journey...I can promise you that snotty noses (dairy) and diarrhea (gluten) will not be in my future. A side note on the latter, sorry to TMI you but I had to get hubby out of the shower this morning because I just could not wait - lucky he saw the funny side and won't be pushing gluten on me any time soon:)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #621 on: November 25, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »
Dearest Faraday, I do so appreciate your concern for my mind and body. It does sound weird but Swick is right there is method to the madness. I couldn't keep eating like this because Melissa Hartwig says so, I need to do it because it is how I really want to live deep down inside.  You're the embodiment of someone who is already there and I love that we have your example to follow. But yip, I'm deliberately eating these foods that I think will make me feel crap so that I can really know that and understand the consequences for my body. I don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself but that I'm making better choices. The former would make me feel beaten, the latter will give me a glow of smug righteousness that I'll probably struggle to keep to myself. But first the journey...I can promise you that snotty noses (dairy) and diarrhea (gluten) will not be in my future. A side note on the latter, sorry to TMI you but I had to get hubby out of the shower this morning because I just could not wait - lucky he saw the funny side and won't be pushing gluten on me any time soon:)

You seem to have so few motivators compared to the rest of us. With me, it's health and diabetes (and ultimately money and lifespan). With many of us it's pure weight and attractiveness. (which accelerates with age). You don't seem to have any of those motivators. You've not actually talked of any NEED to do this (and clearly, DH isn't concerned). So I asked myself: what is a motivator for KiwiSonya?!?!?

I've actually struggled and studied with this. Nothing seems to actually work for you. So I thought, maybe if you HATE ME. To arouse your anger, your dark side. There's been so many kisses keep getting blown your way when you fall off the wagon, thought I'd try my old friend...the facepunch.

Damn. You don't even HATE ME. I can't even tap into your gender difference. I got nothing, now.

I get the reintro thing for Whole30, but that's only one or two things, not stuff that's obviously going to hurt you (or make your nose snotty). if you did it right, your insulin sensitivity has improved to the point that your body will ram those carbs into fat even faster than ever before. If you gave your allergies relief from the dairy, they could get even worse when you try again. You seem in danger of a kind of rebound effect.

Maybe you are young and only a few lb's overweight? Maybe we're talking "fine tuning" here and you don't really need any of this long-term?

Maybe I show you what I'm eating? Pickle (zero carbs), Grilled beef burger (zero carbs), Steamed broccoli (4.3 net per serving). Oh, don't forget butter. There's butter all over that broccoli. It's all sexy and delicious. No bread in sight.

This food is so good, DW and I can stand in the bakery section of our local food market and buy nothing if this is in our grocery cart. (oh, we SEE it and SMELL it alright) We call the bakery section "The Valley of the Shadow of Death".

PS: Anyone who has sons, watch "Fight Club" with them when they are teens. Important, good stuff for boys.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:00:11 PM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #622 on: November 25, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
Yummy dinner, Faraday. Why am I here? Well, vanity really. I've been a bit on the chubby side since a teenager (as in pretty face, but the rest lets her down). Have finished my family and while don't want to be fat and forty, I was already slimmer when I started whole30 than when I got pregnant with my first.  Have always been a sweet tooth and always thought I was weak willed and that's why I couldn't lose the weight (trued WW etc over the years). Never been so fat that I had health issues but didn't feel good in my skin. So I'm wanting to rock 40 and above. Never imagined in my wildest dreams that I could have the degree of food control that I have achieved on whole30 and I don't want to lose this. I agree I'm a rebound risk. Non supportive hubby doesn't help. He thinks I'm fine as I am and this is just one of my little phases. That's why I hang about here so much. I appreciate your efforts to sort me out. Ks

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #623 on: November 25, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
This week I have been playing around with non-compliant foods. After the first day it has not been particularly controlled. I know that I need to eat something very close to whole30 compliant for the long term, so other then testing a couple of specific foods (dairy mostly), a lot of what I have been doing with my time between whole30's is reminding myself why it is that I want to eat this way. Today I had macaroni and cheese with rice noodles, and some eggnog. Wow, did something in that make me tired.

So far I have not had good luck with any reentros. Dairy is mostly ok. It's in the danger zone that will be hard to resist over the years.
GF baked goods (from my favorite gf baker, so a blend of flours) caused some pretty serious bloating. Another GF pastry earlier in the week caused my wheat/oat stomach pain symptoms: I had forgotten to ask if they used oat flour. Oops.

I will not be reintroducing wheat. I would be seriously unsurprised if I have celiac but I will probably never be diagnosed, as I would have to eat the stuff in quantity for three months to get tested. I have tried a couple of times to eat that much wheat, but always bailed about 1 month in. Not Worth It.

Tomorrow will probably be mostly W30 compliant. After that I'm doing it again, and looking forward to it. This time around, I will not be eating nuts or dried fruit, and I will be cutting it just short of Christmas. My partner will be joining me again, but eating rice. He lost 8 pounds in the last one. He started as a thin and muscular athlete, so that is not a good thing. He's had some definite positives from eating this way and wants to keep it up, but needs to figure out a way to not lose more weight.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #624 on: November 25, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
Okay so I am still in the recipe gathering and planning stage (less than a month left till I actually do the full Whole 30/ Elimination Diet) but need to share one of my main staple recipes since everyone keeps mentioning cooked cabbage on this thread and I found I like this way better.

Cabbage and Beet Slaw
1 red cabbage and 1 beet shredded raw, 1/3-1/2 cup each of your favorite vinegar and olive oil. Best at least a day out.

Its a great substitution for anyone who likes to have something crunchy. Also, for the lazy, this never gets soggy (I make it Sunday and eat it all week). I have done it once with each of my 3 favorite vinegars. I'm the one who normally can't eat the same thing more than a couple of times and I can eat this as a side dish 5x per week without getting sick of it.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #625 on: November 25, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Okay so I am still in the recipe gathering and planning stage (less than a month left till I actually do the full Whole 30/ Elimination Diet) but need to share one of my main staple recipes since everyone keeps mentioning cooked cabbage on this thread and I found I like this way better.

Cabbage and Beet Slaw
1 red cabbage and 1 beet shredded raw, 1/3-1/2 cup each of your favorite vinegar and olive oil. Best at least a day out.

Its a great substitution for anyone who likes to have something crunchy. Also, for the lazy, this never gets soggy (I make it Sunday and eat it all week). I have done it once with each of my 3 favorite vinegars. I'm the one who normally can't eat the same thing more than a couple of times and I can eat this as a side dish 5x per week without getting sick of it.

This is AWESOME. You have combined three incredible superfoods: Cabbage, beets and vinegar! Olive oil is super-good too. I might combine it with a tad bit of salt or my favorite mistress, Ms. Dash.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #626 on: November 26, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »
Yummy dinner, Faraday. Why am I here? Well, vanity really. I've been a bit on the chubby side since a teenager (as in pretty face, but the rest lets her down). Have finished my family and while don't want to be fat and forty, I was already slimmer when I started whole30 than when I got pregnant with my first.  Have always been a sweet tooth and always thought I was weak willed and that's why I couldn't lose the weight (trued WW etc over the years). Never been so fat that I had health issues but didn't feel good in my skin. So I'm wanting to rock 40 and above. Never imagined in my wildest dreams that I could have the degree of food control that I have achieved on whole30 and I don't want to lose this. I agree I'm a rebound risk. Non supportive hubby doesn't help. He thinks I'm fine as I am and this is just one of my little phases. That's why I hang about here so much. I appreciate your efforts to sort me out. Ks

Sonya, I really hope you're not "off the rails" today.  Have you done some thinking about what your diet might look like long-term?  Have you done some research on paleo/primal that is not necessarily W30?  I ask because it seems obvious that cornflakes and milk is waaaay off from what you've been doing and doesn't seem like something that's so delicious that it's worth going off plan for.  And like Swick mentioned, it contains multiple non-compliant ingredients, so eating it doesn't give you specific information about problem foods.  If you feel like you're going off the rails during re-intro, I'll humbly suggest that you try to take a step back and separate the physical and psychological aspects of where you are now with your relationship to food.  Try identifying a non-compliant food to reintro that is not a SWYPO/food without brakes (preferably only ONE non-compliant ingredient), eat a measured amount, and then WAIT.  For like a few days.  Before trying another reintro.  While I'm not going to facepunch you, I am with Faraday in saying that you've got a ways to go in weaning yourself from some of these foods.  Think of alcoholics, and how many can't have "just one sip".  It's probably not that extreme, but I think you've identified some of the foods you need to get more time and mental distance from before you dabble in eating them again.

In the meantime, if you haven't, do some research on paleo/primal recipes and meal ideas and perhaps the Perfect Health Diet and start to formulate an mental picture of what a sustainable for the rest of your life whole-foods based diet might look like for you.  Re-intro should focus on these additional foods first, and save the cheesecake and pizza for when they have less of a pull on you and you can look at their effects more as a scientist.

It takes time for insulin and grhelin reactions to food to adjust.  Also, have you been eating any probiotic foods or taking a PB supplement?  Your gut flora are important and nurturing them can help you to realign your diet.

Please do read the Perlmutter book if you have time.  Another one that may be helpful for you (it was for me) is The End of Overeating.  Try to cultivate some of the rabid disdain for packaged, processed crap that Faraday has.  A bit of the rage towards the Frankenfood industry will take you far.  We are all rooting for you here!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:53:56 AM by horsepoor »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #627 on: November 26, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
Ok, face punches and gentle reproaches accepted. I need to spend some time thinking about all this. I haven't yet reached the emotional maturity around food yet that I need for the post whole 30 journey. Will be back later. Hope you all have a great day. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: November 26, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Faraday - Thanks for detailing your weight loss journey for us. I found it very helpful and have already reread it a few times.

Curry - preparing to make the nom nom Paleo curry that was posted - I'm sorry for not thanking the appropriate poster but I'm on an iphone which makes it infinitely harder to scroll up and down. I bought all the ingredients last night.

Kiwisonya - Your "reintroduction" phase is exactly what I'm scared of for myself. As was suggested, I have been reading several Paleo and primal books from the library and am trying to figure out where I will settle in. I was a TERRIBLE garbage food eater. That's how I got to be almost 80 pounds overweight (and gaining). I get that you still have a lot of non-compliant foods in the pantry - many other people live in our house besides me. I would have to say that our fridge and pantry are much healthier than they used to be with things like way more fruit and veggies for snacks, Lara bars, applesauce cups etc. but there is also still cereal, Nutella, cake mix, candy canes, chocolate chips, sprinkles, etx. I'm still so surprised that the Sugar Dragon in me has been tamed (for now) but I think those foods will have to be a no-fly zone for me.

I've really enjoyed all the brutally hard conversations that everyone has been having here and I really don't want it to be me reporting in on my binges -- or worse -- NOT reporting in! You are brave, KS, and I really really appreciate your honesty! (((Hugs)))

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: November 26, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
My staple diet when I am away from home for six long weeks at the time consists of pilaf rice and beans (black, red, chick peas, soy, etc.) which I eat practically every single day mostly because I don't have access to proper cooking facilities except a microwave, so it will take a careful redesign of my diet to make the W30 work for me, but I am in, starting tomorrow.

I haven't read the entire thread and I am wondering if Korean sweet potato noodles, tapioca noodles, and Shirataki (a type of Japanese noodles made from the starch of a tuber called konjac) are acceptable.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: November 26, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
My staple diet when I am away from home for six long weeks at the time consists of pilaf rice and beans (black, red, chick peas, soy, etc.) which I eat practically every single day mostly because I don't have access to proper cooking facilities except a microwave, so it will take a careful redesign of my diet to make the W30 work for me, but I am in, starting tomorrow.

I haven't read the entire thread and I am wondering if Korean sweet potato noodles, tapioca noodles, and Shirataki (a type of Japanese noodles made from the starch of a tuber called konjac) are acceptable.

Hi ykphil, Welcome! You definitely have some challenges ahead of you with your cooking facilities. Feel free to use us as a brainstorming think tank, if you need to!

Konjac and Shirataki type noodles are not recommended for people with gut issues, so if you want to take a break and give yourself a chance to heal any imbalances, they aren't recommended.

Also, part of the whole 30 is to get into the habit of redefining your eating habits. That is hard to do if you are substituting one type of something for another.

Also, the reason the are so low cal is because they are basically just non-nutritive fiber. It fills you up - but isn't great nutritionally. Spiralized zucchini makes an awesome noodle substitute!

You can roast cauliflower and buzz it in the food processor if you want a rice substitute. Would be easy to reheat in the microwave.

If there is anything we can do to help support you, let us know!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #631 on: November 26, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
A warm welcome YKPhil, a few pages back there is lots about eating while traveling.  Check those ideas out.
Well, I may be a bit all over the place today but have made myself the most amazing lunch. Think it will appear at Christmas lunch to have with ham. It tastes just like tabboleh (spelling?) But is cauliflower raw with parsley and basil chopped and dressing of walnut oil and lemon juice and sumac with pomegranate seeds. Has moroccan lamb sausages on top but would be great with any fish/meat. Looks very festive.  Shame I can't post photo as my phone reckons it doesn't have enough memory.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want tno join us?
« Reply #632 on: November 26, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Right, thoughts so far today. I really need to clean out all tempting SAD food from the cupboard/fridge/freezer. The cornflakes,  dried fruit, biscuits, icecream etc. It will be good for all of us. Hubby works in town by a supermarket so will ask him to buy and eat any crap there. Kids will have healthier lunchboxes.  They both love exotic fruit so will buy that as a substitute.  Hubby takes the kids on adventures on the weekend so they can buy icecream and other junk on those occasions. I have been reading the primal diet and I will gradually transition the whole family in that direction. Am planning to add some whole30 options to Christmas day. Might be the first one ever where I don't feel bloated and disgusting.  How does the following sound? A pimped up monkey bowl with macadamias and fresh berries for breakfast, my festive Morrocan cauliflower salad with ham and buttery green beans for lunch and bbq salmon fillet with preserved lemons and grilled vege for dinner with dark chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert.  Will be summer here remember.  Sound good?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #633 on: November 26, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
Definitely woke up my taste buds, sounds delish:) Good job on making some decisions and creating a plan!

Kitchen adventures: I prepped the veggies for some fire cider which I plan to give away for Christmas to my family.

I'm also rendering some lamb fat. It seems to be working. Will it be edible? That remains to be seen. We got a whole organic happy lamb from a family friend and I don't want to waste any of it. I'm not too concerned about the potential Lamby taste. Just excited to see how I can use it!

I am so so so excited that I got a big delivery of duck eggs! The ducks have been molting apparently and decided to take a month or so off then my farmer friend got injured. They are back to producing, my friend is up and about, so I am back to regular access to delicious eggs. Should be easier to get Hubs eating them too, he prefers them to chicken eggs.

Starting to feel the struggle of lack of veggie variety as we are moving into winter. Going to make some kimchi this weekend and maybe get some other ferments going to add a little variety.

How is everyone doing today?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #634 on: November 26, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
I am dabbling in re-intro since 18 days in I'm not getting the results I wanted with decongestion,  and well, Its Thanksgiving.  So had some brie and duck liver mousse on paleo crackers.  Dinner in a few will be steaks, asparagus and mashed potatoes made with ghee and homemade beef stock.  Next off plan thing will be a glass of red weekend after this one, which was my originally planned end date.  I'm thinking from there I'll do limited cheese and yogurt, trace sugar, and red wine on weekends through at least end of the year.  Maybe legumes once a week or so.

Swick, sounds like you have access to great ingredients!  I've only rendered beef tallow, not lamb.  Seems like lamb is really variable, so it may or may not have a strong flavor.  I often temper the flavor of the tallow by using it in chili and other flavorful dishes, or mix it with avocado oil.  It's rendered fro. The bones and trimmings, but I read that Leaf fat is the best, so I'm asking the butcher for it next year.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #635 on: November 26, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and wish the US posters a Happy Thanksgiving!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: November 27, 2015, 01:20:47 AM »
Canadian here, so we celebrated Thanksgiving in mid-October but hope our American friends had a compliant Thanksgiving ;-)

Dinner here was pork loin roasted with olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper and rosemary. It was really good. Sides were beets, baked potatoes and sweet potato. mmmmm!

We are going away for the weekend with the kids, but I will have a full kitchen so it shouldn't be a problem.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2015, 06:35:26 PM »
Hi all, nice to see people caring about how they eat and experimenting with stuff.  :)

Just a bit of my recent food story for the curious:
I got serious about my food after a visit to my family in September where I basically only had sugar and carbs to eat for a week, and felt pretty tired and lazy the whole time.  When I got home I resumed my usual diet of lots of vegetables, and decided to cut out dessert entirely for an indefinite period.

Then I started keto at the end of October just to try it.  I very quickly was hooked when I found myself not getting tired or drowsy during the day, no longer wishing for a nap, rarely feeling hungry, and eventually losing my cravings for sugar.  (I used to frequently crave cereal, bread and other carbs, even though I never felt good after eating them.)

I had been eating vegetarian since June as an experiment... mainly to see if I could have the discipline to do it if I wanted to.  After four weeks of vegetarian keto, I decided to switch back to eating meat on Nov 23, which makes keto way easier.  For vegetarian keto I was eating a *lot* of eggs and cheese and nuts, now I can cut back a bit on those and eat some meat too which is nice. 

For thanksgiving yesterday I helped prepare the stuffing and mashed potatoes, and wasn't even really tempted to eat them or any of the other carby things, which was everything but the turkey and some cheese and olives I had brought.  It was great to see I didn't mind that at all.  Felt fully awake and energized after thanksgiving dinner and ready for the 10 mile bike ride back home in the freezing cold after.  :D  After past thanksgivings I've always felt kind of sick and tired.  I'm excited now to power through the christmas holiday back home with full energy.  That'll be great.

Today I went for a little road trip and hike with friends.  I'm now in the habit of keeping ready-to-go keto foods in the fridge that I can throw in a lunch box whenever I go somewhere, e.g. cheese, sausage, olives, nuts, avocado, hardboiled egg, raw veggies.  So when we stopped at a fast food place I just got out my food from home.    Didn't spend any money and ate delicious healthy and cheap food.  On the way back we stopped at a farm market and I picked up a bag of 6 good sized firm avocados for $2.  Same size as the ones I buy for $1/ea at the market here.  To top it off, I got my friends to *walk* the quarter mile from my apartment to starbucks when we got home which for some reason is really unusual here.  Then we walked back and I made some unsweetened hot cocoa for myself which I've come to like.  Perhaps eventually my friends will pick up on the fact that I'm enjoying myself just as much while saving tons of money and staying healthier, and their habits will shift a bit.  I imagine cultures can change this way, a little at a time.  But even if I don't influence others' behavior, it's great for me. 

So, just happy to encourage all the mustachian keto-ers, and anyone who's cutting back on or eliminating sugar/sweets, I'm finding it very worthwhile and am enjoying the counter-cultural bit myself.  :)  Now I'm going to cook some sausage and veggies...mmm.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #638 on: November 27, 2015, 07:40:12 PM »
Awesome Grenz.  Welcome to the thread!  Great progress in really a short time in the scheme of things.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #639 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
Then I started keto at the end of October just to try it.  I very quickly was hooked when I found myself not getting tired or drowsy during the day, no longer wishing for a nap, rarely feeling hungry, and eventually losing my cravings for sugar.  (I used to frequently crave cereal, bread and other carbs, even though I never felt good after eating them.)

...awesome stuff was here....

So, just happy to encourage all the mustachian keto-ers, and anyone who's cutting back on or eliminating sugar/sweets, I'm finding it very worthwhile and am enjoying the counter-cultural bit myself.  :)  Now I'm going to cook some sausage and veggies...mmm.

Anything else to report, like sinus trouble, GERD or digestive trouble subsiding?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:55:27 PM by Faraday »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: November 27, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »
I've been reading like a crazy woman! I have about 8 Paleo books out of the library right now. Seems to me the only difference between whole30 and Paleo is that with paleo you can add back bacon, a bit of dairy like yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese and also you can have trace amounts of sweetener (preferably honey). Have I summarized the difference sufficiently? I'm looking to make a plan for post whole60. I'm accepting the fact that I will never (or almost never) eat grains or legumes again. I heard about a friend of a friend who lost a bunch of weight on a similar plan and then went on a bender one night and threw up when she got home. Oh my! That is what I so want to avoid!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #641 on: November 27, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
I've been reading like a crazy woman! I have about 8 Paleo books out of the library right now. Seems to me the only difference between whole30 and Paleo is that with paleo you can add back bacon, a bit of dairy like yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese and also you can have trace amounts of sweetener (preferably honey). Have I summarized the difference sufficiently? I'm looking to make a plan for post whole60. I'm accepting the fact that I will never (or almost never) eat grains or legumes again. I heard about a friend of a friend who lost a bunch of weight on a similar plan and then went on a bender one night and threw up when she got home. Oh my! That is what I so want to avoid!

Actually, if you're eating dairy, it's considered Primal, not Paleo, if you're concerned about the labels.  Really the difference with Whole30 is not "substitute" foods like kelp noodles, no trace sugar, no natural sweeteners, no paleo baked goods, so it's considered a super-clean version of paleo.  When you're at or near your goal weight, you might look again at white rice.  I've come around to including it in my "good foods" list, and to my surprise, two of the books I got on the Kindle sale the other day also include white rice even though they're labeled as paleo cookbooks, so I think there's a bit of a changing perception because it's very low in toxins/potential allergens/irritants as compared to all the other grains or legumes.  Of course, with the carb content, not so great when trying to lose weight.

Cheese re-intro went fine.  No appreciable increase in congestion, but I don't plan to eat any more this week.  Felt good today and dove right into cleaning out and reorganizing the filing cabinet, which is something I've dreaded and avoided for months.  Wonder what else I can get done when I quit procrastinating?

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #642 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:55 AM »
Anything else to report, like sinus trouble, GERD or digestive trouble subsiding?
I'm not sure I had any of those troubles.  Well come to think of it I haven't felt any gut pain since starting keto when I used to fairly often.  We'll see if that holds.

I do notice that I've had only two headaches in the last five weeks, and both can be attributed to obvious lack of sleep because I only gave myself 4-5 hours of sleep those nights.  I used to get headaches more often, probably a couple times a week on average.  (Not really bad ones usually, but I would feel that head pain at some point during the day.)

I've not had a single night where I couldn't fall asleep in five weeks which is awesome.  Laying in bed for hours without falling asleep used to be a big issue for me, at least a few times a week.  This gives me extra time each week since I don't need to stay in bed 10-11 hours as often to get my 8 hours of sleep.  Most days I've been wide awake in the morning and ready to go.

I don't want to make it sound like magic, but that's what it feels like right now.  If this becomes the new normal, then fantastic.  If it's just a honeymoon phase or I'm overestimating the benefits, it will have been great while it lasted.  :)  I assume there will be some negative side effects I'll start noticing.  But I know there are people who have been doing this 10-20 years and seem fine, and also if there are negative effects, I bet they're not as bad as the negative effects of my past diet. 

I do have a question -- is there anyone doing keto and Whole30 and can explain a few of the things they're doing differently than plain old keto?  Like are you cutting out certain keto foods for a period of time and then reintroducing?  I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what everyone's doing.  Feel free to just say "read the thread" if that would make more sense.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:15:48 AM by grenzbegriff »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #643 on: November 28, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »
Read the Thread ;)

Mostly because it is a good read! I'm kinda doing a modified Keto/whole 30 hybrid. I have allowed a little dairy - actuallt pretty much just butter which I haven't had any issues with.

BUT I strongly suggest you do a full true Whole 30 first - which basically means for someone doing Keto to not have cheese/dairy/peanut butter.  You can choose whether to have the fruit/starch veggies which are allowed in small amounts on whole 30, but if you are already in Keto, I'm not sure that it makes much sense to reintroduce them just for the whole 30 if you are planning on going Keto afterwards.

Basically, you just want to identify if any of these dairy foods are problem foods for you. There is much to learn about the emotional, psychological side of things by doing the whole 30. It might be a little less pronounced if you have already had lots of success on Keto though. If you have any addiction or problem foods, Whole 30 is grat for identifying them and giving you some space to work through them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:26:58 PM by swick »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #644 on: November 28, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
Hi everyone,  survived my first and only Christmas party of the season. Had my first challenge about my diet from someone who had previously been supportive. She couldn't understand why I would keep going after my 30 days was up. That old chestnut "all things in moderation". Should have walked away but didn't.  'What's moderate about toast for breakfast,  sandwiches for lunch and pasta for dinner - that sounds like a wheat feast to me!' She said she hadn't ever thought of it that way as she is slim and prides herself on being "healthy". I said this works for me so I'm sticking to it. Drank posh sparkling water and ate exotic melon and was fine with that. Nice to wake up the next morning raring to go instead of bloated and hungover.  Have been reading Grain Brain which is fascinating and Primal Blueprint. Think I will probably settle in paleo once I hit my ideal weight (haven't decided what that is yet but involves having no flab around my waist). Breakfast was kickass indian spiced ground beef with leftover cauliflower salad from yesterday.  Lunch was a small steak with the biggest mountain of clarified butter fried broccoli (thanks Faraday).  Have a pork roast in the oven that smells delicious.  Tomorrow is shopping  -hope to find some compliant smoked fish so I can make a kedgeree with cauliflower rice to have for breakfast a few mornings. 1967mama and others with kids, any food ideas that have been enjoyed by your kids? I'm offering them spoonfuls of everything I make for me but the take up rate is pretty poor.  Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »
Kiwisonya - I'll list some of the things my kids have liked (keeping in mind they range from age 24--->7 and all but one are boys!)

-baked salmon fillets (topped with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, dry mustard powder)

-lemon chicken (I think I posted the recipe upthread?)

-baked or grilled pork loin (marinated in EVOO and balsamic, topped with salt, pepper and rosemary)

-potatoes of all sorts (mostly topped with clarified butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder)

-roasted vegetables (zucchini, potato, sweet potato, bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms or ??? tossed in plenty of EVOO and balsamic and sprinkled with salt, pepper and lots of rosemary) -- I can never make enough of this! Everyone loves it!

-hamburgers on the grill - easy for me to have mine with a lettuce bun

-salads - lots of green salads with homemade Italian dressing (recipe from Whole Foods for the Whole Family, minus the parmesan) - at least one salad a day with lots of things chopped up in it for interest like: bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, grapes, apples

-roasted whole chicken with potatoes and carrots around it. Cooked 2 chickens today while away on a weekend holiday. Onion in the cavity, salt, pepper and garlic and rosemary on the outside. Probably 4 tablespoons of clarified butter dotted all over this. Picture the biggest roaster you can buy. 10 pounds of potatoes. 2 very large chickens. That's how you feed my big fam! hahah!

The kids are "moving toward" a Whole30/Paleo diet. I'm buying much healthier fare and trying to keep snacks ready to go like: carrot and celery sticks in cold water in the fridge, fresh fruit available anytime, ants on a log, apple and almond butter. I read a great line in "Everyday Paleo" by Sarah Fragoso today. She had a realization a few months into her healthy eating journey how she was feeling so great and sitting down with her family to eat and they were all eating the food that used to make her feel so awful. That really struck me. FANTASTIC recipes in this book, btw. I plan to write some out when I get home. Easy recipes that are quick to prepare and use many of the ingredients I already have in my kitchen. I have to tread very carefully with the kids so they don't revolt! haha

Hope that helps!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #646 on: November 28, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »
I do have a question -- is there anyone doing keto and Whole30 and can explain a few of the things they're doing differently than plain old keto?  Like are you cutting out certain keto foods for a period of time and then reintroducing?  I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what everyone's doing.  Feel free to just say "read the thread" if that would make more sense.

Your questions and text patterns are strangely similar to others occurring in this thread. 

There is no reintroduction concept in the ketogenic lifestyle. The purpose of keto is to keep one's body in ketogenesis by eating a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet. With the appropriate mix of vegetables, meats and cheeses/dairy, one can live the ketogenic lifestyle indefinitely.

You do otherwise, your body stops burning fat to make ketones and your body switches to burning carbs/sugars and/or once again storing the unused carbs/sugars into body fat.

I have heard some say "The problem with keto is when you stop, you gain weight again." Well of course. Losing weight isn't a license to eat crap.

Your comment implies some mixture of Whole30 and Keto. The two eating styles are kindred in that they ban many of the same things, but the objectives of each style are different: Whole30 being to isolate foods that are damaging your health and continuously modify your diet to find the things your body prefers. The "Reintroduction" phase of Whole30 is an experimentation phase that helps you validate good vs. bad foods for you.

Keto is a high-fat eating lifestyle. There is no reintroduction phase. The objective is to put your body in ketosis and to stay in ketosis. You can "reintroduce" non-keto foods, but you will drop out of ketosis and no longer be accomplishing the objectives of the lifestyle. There's nothing horrible about going out of ketosis, you just want to make sure you've got good habits established, a good exercise plan and eating plan so you ensure you burn whatever carb load you incur rather than packing on the body fat.

There is much overlap between Whole30 and Keto, but also significant differences: Keto requires a fat consumption in excess of 50% of the foods you eat. While milk is not allowed in keto (the lactose sugars), cream cheese and hard cheeses are welcomed, since they are high-fat and very low lactose.  All meats are allowed and encouraged in Keto, while Whole30 forbids some meats.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:15:48 PM by Faraday »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #647 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
Faraday, I think the question was about doing W30 keto style and then adding back other keto foods like cheese.

Sonya, I love what you said about wheat.  I think it's so true that people think they're eating variety and its really wheat, corn, wheat, soy, wheat and all topped off with a bunch of milk and sugar (e.g. my niece -  Mac and cheesecereal with milk and cheese pizza are the same thing, but she thinks she's eating different meals).  There is nothing moderate about it.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #648 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
Faraday, I think the question was about doing W30 keto style and then adding back other keto foods like cheese.

I'm having trouble with the question because Keto is much more black-and-white than Whole30.  The two eating styles are "cousins", but they have some very important differences and objectives, so mixing them risks failing to do either one successfully.

On Keto, you can eat anything that supports the proper mix of fat, carb and protein macronutrients. While potatoes, grains, breads, pasta, beans, fruits, rice, sugar (and all sugar containing things) are forbidden, there is no analogous food specification to the Whole30 idea. What's high-carb is simply forbidden. All full fat stuff is allowed.

If you can have cheese, you can have it on day 1 and day 31 of keto. There's no keto guideline for "detox" the way there is for W30. So there's no easy way to overlap W30 and Keto and somehow "accomplish both".

Keto eliminates fruit, So no monkey bowls. A "Keto Whole30" would be so restrictive that I'm not sure how you could do it and not be completely unhappy.

A cornerstone of Keto, for me, has been bacon. I've seen bacon get so much discussion and restriction in Whole30 that I doubt I could have the bacon I eat and be on Whole30.

I eat salami (Genoa - sliced thin), sausage patties, bacon and beef with abandon. I believe these are not allowed in W30. I'm careful to be in ketosis, too. I want to be burning those fats, not letting them circulate in my bloodstream and just sit there. My liver needs to be grabbing that shit and burning it.

So, I'm not sure I know how to understand the mixing of the two concepts.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: November 28, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
Faraday - have you been able to find any nitrate and sugar free bacon or ham? I check every single grocery store I'm ever in and so far, no luck. I'm researching paleo vs. primal the next 2 weeks or so until my Whole60 is over.