Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427017 times)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #550 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
Welcome, Orvell! Your dinner sounds awesome!
Thank you thank you!
And feel free to call me Oro; it's my nickname around the web. :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
Thank you thank you!

Just as long is we don't have to add the Evil "e", Oro!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
Welcome Oro, nice to have you join us. Glad you are feeling pretty, 1967mama! And SS, glad you aren't getting the cravings. I think when it isn't your first time your body gets back into the swing faster (like getting fit again va starting from scratch). Aww, poor me (cue violins...) I'm missing my fruit. No post savoury sweet treat, no food crutch, just nourishing non-psychological food. Had a handful of snow peas and a bit of capsicum. Diverting but unsatisfying. Will start on early dinner rather than snacking. Roast pumpkin, cauliflower and chicken breast smothered in homemade pesto. Should be yum. But then the evening will stretch out before me. Will get into the attic for a bit of decluttering as this should keep me away from the kitchen.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #553 on: November 17, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
Thank you thank you!

*Snorts*
Not to worry. I don't have a creamy center. ;)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #554 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Thank you thank you!

*Snorts*
Thank you thank you!

*Snorts*

Must-resist-urge-to-comment! *off to wash my mind out with some soap* ;)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »

Use "Dove" brand soap. It's very creamy.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:38 AM »

Use "Dove" brand soap. It's very creamy.
*cackles*

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Welcome Oro, glad you're here!

Last night I dreamed that I was at a social function and ate a hotdog (on a bun) and drank a bunch of beer.  Woke up feeling upset with myself for about 10 minutes until I realized it was a dream and I'm still on track.  Anyone else have related food dreams?

Last night we had a lovely beef heel roast cooked in the Instant Pot with celery root, carrots, onions and celery.  This morning was mixed (raw, unsalted) nuts, coffee with coconut oil, a couple homemade sausage patties and a banana.  Didn't pack a lunch so it will be an avocado and can of herring or sardines I keep stashed in my office.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
Didn't pack a lunch so it will be an avocado and can of herring or sardines I keep stashed in my office.
Dear god, I'm not the only one!
o__o I love kipper snacks and avocado together. I've never met anyone who agrees!
Edit: Any leads on how to get kipper snacks on the cheap? They are annoyingly pricy. :(

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
Ok, Day 4 has dawned here for me and I survived a whole day without fruit. It wasn't lots of fun but was good for me as I need to stop using food as treats. Food is nutrition and energy and you either need it or you don't.  If I can master this I will be as thin as a 'matchstick with the wood scraped off' as my old grandad would say. Avoiding the kitchen led to enormous productivity in the attic and more than a car loads worth of stuff to donate. I reject using my home as a storage unit in the way I reject using my body as a way to store suppressed emotions (as fat). I'm feeling better already. Have a great day. Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #560 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
Ok, Day 4 has dawned here for me and I survived a whole day without fruit. It wasn't lots of fun but was good for me as I need to stop using food as treats. Food is nutrition and energy and you either need it or you don't.  If I can master this I will be as thin as a 'matchstick with the wood scraped off' as my old grandad would say. Avoiding the kitchen led to enormous productivity in the attic and more than a car loads worth of stuff to donate. I reject using my home as a storage unit in the way I reject using my body as a way to store suppressed emotions (as fat). I'm feeling better already. Have a great day. Ks

Way to go! KiwiSonya! That is an awesome way of looking at things, and I love how it has translated to your home and other areas of your life!

The no fruit thing has been going okay for me. I've been drinking whenever I feel the urge to snack. As winter is settling in that is a lot of hot water with lemon, herbal teas, my coconut oil tea in the morning. I've made an infusion from raspberry leaf, nettle and holy basil which I have been cutting with hot water. Figure this is a good way to get more of those nutrients that I haven't been getting due to the lack of fresh organic veggies.

Foodwise - Hubs has been getting a portion of sweet potato or regular potato a day.  Haven't bought any more bananas.  But - it's a PITA trying to figure out what to make that isn't eggs and isn't relying on starch for him. - especially when we have to get up so early to get him ready for work.

I now know what you guys have been talking about with the "metallic taste" from Keto. I never really noticed it super pronounced and shrugged it off before, but last night it was full on - actually to me it tastes like the aftertaste of drinking coke - Super YUCK!

HOW IS EVERYONE DOING TODAY?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #561 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
Didn't pack a lunch so it will be an avocado and can of herring or sardines I keep stashed in my office.
o__o I love kipper snacks and avocado together. I've never met anyone who agrees!
Edit: Any leads on how to get kipper snacks on the cheap? They are annoyingly pricy. :(

Unfortunately, not really.  I just load up whenever I stumble upon a sale.  I really prefer the Crown Prince low sodium or black pepper kippers.  I was lucky enough to find a bunch of the pepper ones on clearance at Rosauer's a few months ago, and a couple times per year Natural Grocer has the low sodium ones on sale for ~$2/can.  Wally World does have a better price on the regular CP kippers, but they tasted way saltier and more fishy to me, and they have 16% of daily sodium vs. 3% in the peppered ones.

Actually ended up going for a can of smoked oysters with red chile pepper that was hiding in the back of the drawer.  They were really good; need to get some more of those.

ETA:  Costco has a pretty good deal on canned sardines as an alternate.  I think they're packed in olive oil and filleted if you're averse to crunching on tiny bones.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:58:33 AM by horsepoor »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #562 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:30 PM »

Unfortunately, not really.  I just load up whenever I stumble upon a sale.  I really prefer the Crown Prince low sodium or black pepper kippers.  I was lucky enough to find a bunch of the pepper ones on clearance at Rosauer's a few months ago, and a couple times per year Natural Grocer has the low sodium ones on sale for ~$2/can.  Wally World does have a better price on the regular CP kippers, but they tasted way saltier and more fishy to me, and they have 16% of daily sodium vs. 3% in the peppered ones.

Actually ended up going for a can of smoked oysters with red chile pepper that was hiding in the back of the drawer.  They were really good; need to get some more of those.

ETA:  Costco has a pretty good deal on canned sardines as an alternate.  I think they're packed in olive oil and filleted if you're averse to crunching on tiny bones.
Great intel, thank you!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #563 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »
Feeling lousy today. Way too little sleep. Feel like a miserable grump. That is all.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #564 on: November 18, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Oh Or(e)o, you silly goose! :-) :-) :-)

Kippered snacks and avocado are Keto go-to foods! I have avocado with almost anything - that plus them little fishies can turn a ho-hum salad into a SALAD-O-RAMA!

I've used avocado before where I might use mayo and I have avocado with various meats all the time. it is to-die-for to have with smoked pork or turkey. I'm gonna be up to my armpits in avocados over thanksgiving with a stupid grin on my face.

Come to think of it, I've never had avocado with smoked pork ribs. Hmmm......

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #565 on: November 18, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Feeling lousy today. Way too little sleep. Feel like a miserable grump. That is all.

Me too!  Finally picked up my first cold, and feel yucky!  Need. More. Sleep.  I managed to get a yummy roast into the crockpot, with some potatoes. All compliant except for the trace sugar in the little bit of tomato sauce added. I can kinda smell, and I THINK it smells good. :-)  We'll see what the kids say.

Welcome Oro!  We look forward to hearing some good food ideas.  :-) 

Kiwi - I may have to join you with cutting back on the fruit.  Well actually, it would only be the apples with almond butter specifically that I need to cut back on. I've found that this is my new SWYPO food.  While it's not bad, I don't want to get into a bad habit and use that as a replacement for chocolate.

On a side note....my son won some doughnuts at a cake walk at school. Yesterday when I smelled it while moving it into a baggie, the sugar was overwhelming and not in a good way. I'm finally more confident that I can get over my sugar dragon.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #566 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »
Sorry you guys are under the weather.  Good eating feels like more effort when you're sick but just think how much faster you'll get better.  Trying not to rub in my current geographic advantage but we're off to the beach. Terrible parent that I am I'm going to sneak my eldest out of school an hour early and go play in the sand. On the first decent summery day I think, fuck it, why not! Will buy them icecream but will for the first time not have one myself. First person noticed I'd lost weight today so on Cloud 9.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
Mom22-hope you are feeling better soon. I laid down but didn't sleep around 5pm and have just now had a nice hot bath after dinner. Early to bed for this cat!

Welcome Oro!

Kiwi- I'm soooo excited for
You that someone noticed your weight loss! I can't wait for that day. Last night, one gal told me I looked nice and another told me I smelled good so we are getting close! Hahah!

I went for a bike ride with my husband and kids this afternoon. First time since my 2 surgeries in 8 months. They walked , I rode. Helped lift my mood a titch. Also: tea! Day 39 of whole60.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:56:10 PM by 1967mama »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #568 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
Listen real quiet!
(whispers....) What is that? Hear it? Listen real careful....
It's all the pumpkins in the world, quietly sobbing.
They are wishing they could taste as good as butternut squash with butter and cinnamon!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »
Faraday - I am totally making that butternut squash tomorrow to go with something I'm going to think of to make with ground beef:-)

Lying in my bed now, thinking of a better day tomorrow. Boy, does poor sleep ever mess me up. I wonder if I'm feeling better (most days) because I'm sleeping better? Could lack of sleep (due to poor diet) have also been contributing to brain fog and other yucky feelings I had about myself???

My daughter is rocking her Whole30'ish plan, and starting tomorrow, she is doing a full blown Whole30. Today at work, she knew they were bringing pie in for her birthday and planned for it by starting tomorrow. One heavy gal asked if she was finally eating "what normal people eat" ... grrrr! I told her next time to say, I AM eating what normal people eat ... real food! Not boxed and chemically altered, processed food! How frustrating for her. She doesn't bend to their whims, and is quite resolute in her convictions -- totally slimming down, feeling great, etc. At last check, she'd lost 20 pounds. She probably only had 30 to lose.

I have been realllllly hungry for 2 days now. Someone commented upthread about going from full to famished in a very short amount of time .. that's been me. What gives?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #570 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:53 PM »
Faraday - I am totally making that butternut squash tomorrow to go with something I'm going to think of to make with ground beef:-)

I imagined a vision in which you quickly jumped up, (startling DH as he reads the paper) going to the freezer and putting the ground beef in the fridge to thaw.

One heavy gal asked if she was finally eating "what normal people eat" ... grrrr!

MY quick responses for that (and I've used these before) are:

1) How would you know what normal people eat?
2) You mean bullshit manufactured food?
3) No thanks, I'll pass on the diabetes.
4) Next time I'll bring a whole pack of Oreos just for you.

I have others I won't say here that are so bad...so, so bad, that I can customize to fit the person. If you get the impression that my anger waits to spring from hiding, about food, you would be correct.  After almost 2 years, no one at work dares comment on what I eat. It makes me very happy to strike fear into the hearts of food fools.

I have been realllllly hungry for 2 days now. Someone commented upthread about going from full to famished in a very short amount of time .. that's been me. What gives?

My personal theory is that it's your body's response to winter coming on and it's what I believe food vendors take advantage of to get you to buy their crap.  I'll bet you are craving hot foods, too.

My go-to's to counter this are:

1) Hydration. Make lemon water if you have to. Get fancy with the water if it makes it more palatable. Hell, Perrier if it helps.
2) The butternut squash. BTW: it's freakin' expensive. However, it damn well works to end that hunger feeling.
3) Steak (or beef of your choice) dipped in garlic butter. Are we still using only CLARIFIED butter for that?
4) THE KETO PIZZA from ruled.me, but the salami or pepperoni isn't Whole30 compliant. So modify as you see fit.
5) Almost anything from the crock pot!

The crock pot is my secret weapon for needing warm-to-hot winter comfort food. The Whole30/Keto compliant stuff you can do with it is amazing. I'm thinking someday I'd like to try a head of cabbage, sliced up, in broth, soy or worchestershire and butter done in a crock pot.

BTW: You guys do sweet potatoes. Do they help with this hunger?

EDIT: I left off my most important weapon: EGGS!!! I can scramble up three duck eggs, add a little shredded cheese, and I'm good-to-go for hours on end.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:48:46 PM by Faraday »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #571 on: November 19, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »

That was hubs, we "solved" the problem by introducing more carbs. We don't want to go that route this time though - although I just checked in and it hasn't been happening this time around. I have been making sure we are starting the day with coconut oil buzzed tea which I think really helps keep everything even.

It's Hub's Friday, so thinking chicken wings would be a nice treat. We've eaten a lot of cabbage this week!

How is everyone doing?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #572 on: November 19, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
So far today is great!

I thought ahead today, and avoided what normally would have set me salivating: free breakfast pastries.

This morning I went to a monthly networking shindig I attend on behalf of my company, and they always provide juice, mediocre fruit, and even more mediocre pastries. In the past, I stuffed my face. A major weakness of mine is free food. It's free!

But today I made a nice batch of oatmeal with a half scoop of protein powder and several generous splashes of unsweetened almond milk before I set off, and was not even tempted by what I knew from experience to be sub par baked goods (even FREE ones).

A+ to me!

I am, like 1967mama, very tired, though. :/ My lovely little kitten has recently decided 3AM is her get up time. We're working on it.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #573 on: November 19, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
That's great Oro. And welcome aboard. This is a pretty good group.

Faraday, I made your cabbage concoction a few days ago. One small head of red cabbage, some broth, some bullion for a meaty taste, and a tablespoon of tomato paste to encourage sweetness. It turned out very tasty. I highly recommend it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #574 on: November 19, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »

The crock pot is my secret weapon for needing warm-to-hot winter comfort food. The Whole30/Keto compliant stuff you can do with it is amazing. I'm thinking someday I'd like to try a head of cabbage, sliced up, in broth, soy or worchestershire and butter done in a crock pot.

Brilliant!  I love doing a braised red cabbage, but haven't thought to do it in the crock pot for some reason.  Bacon and apple cider vinegar, maybe some fennel and coriander seeds and red chile flakes.  Yum!

I also love to simply cut a head of cabbage into wedges, drape each wedge with bacon, grind some pepper, wrap in tinfoil and bake.  Such and awesome, easy side dish.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #575 on: November 19, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »
Yummy! I am loving all these cabbage side dishes! I confess, I'm lazy! Head of cabbage chopped up and thrown in a wok with either some Asian flavored ground meat, or plain with a little broth, coconut aminos and topped with crispy shredded pork. Oddly, I'm not bored of this yet :D

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #576 on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »
That's great Oro. And welcome aboard. This is a pretty good group.

Same here Oro, welcome! This might be my most favorite thread on the forums. Everyone contributes and everyone is pretty sharp!

Faraday, I made your cabbage concoction a few days ago. One small head of red cabbage, some broth, some bullion for a meaty taste, and a tablespoon of tomato paste to encourage sweetness. It turned out very tasty. I highly recommend it.

EXCELLENT! You beat me to it SSam - I am gonna give it a try this weekend. The idea for it came from the crockpot turkey breast DW made two nights ago - it was UNBELIEVEABLE good. That's when I did the "pumpkin whimpers" posting - I was swooning over the butternut squash.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #577 on: November 19, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
It sounds like everyone has had a great week so far! And welcome Oro! Speaking of cabbage, I just bought some Bubbie's sauerkraut and pickles. I should make my own, but these will do for now. Another plus is that they have a lot of probiotics in them -- so no need to get an expensive supplement {which is what I was looking at}.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #578 on: November 19, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
Hi all, I love the recipes for butternut and cabbage. Will be trying the cabbage out tonight.  Am also going to give sauerkraut making a whirl this weekend as it is doesn't sound hard. My favorite butternut recipe is soup made with sweated onions and garlic and chicken broth. Top with crispy fried bacon lardons and fried sage leaves and lots of black pepper. Yum.
Small victories for me yesterday, beach visit without ice cream,  no sweat. Followed by baking chocolate chip cookies for the school fair tand not even licking the spoon. Didn't even want it. Aroma was actually sickly sweet to my nose. Who is this person I have become? Gale force winds here today so I'm glad we took the boys to the beach yesterday.  This spring has been 4 seasons in one day. But there is a competition for walking to school so that's what the kids want to do rain or shine, which is fine by me. Have a great day everyone.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #579 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »
Braised cabbage has been an unexpected, delicious discovery with Whole30. Someone had mentioned the recipe from NomNomPaleo, and that's what I've been making. In fact I made it on Monday for eating this whole week. 

Horsepoor - so need to make it with BACON on it!  Oh man, that would be amazing!  When you make it in the tinfoil, do you add any liquid?  Bake for about 2 hours still?  I supposed I could just make it in a 9x13 dish like normal.

I also made a breakfast pumpkin custard, from the Pinterest page someone posted a while back (Horsepoor again?).  My first time I ate it, I thought it was so so.  My boys didn't like it at all, not sweet enough!  But, as I ate it over the week, I grew to like it more and more. I might have to make it for Thanksgiving. It's a good substitute for pumpkin pie.

Didn't even want it. Aroma was actually sickly sweet to my nose. Who is this person I have become? 

Yes! This is exactly how I feel when I smell too much sugar!  I think I like who we are becoming. :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #580 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
Braised cabbage has been an unexpected, delicious discovery with Whole30. Someone had mentioned the recipe from NomNomPaleo, and that's what I've been making. In fact I made it on Monday for eating this whole week. 

Horsepoor - so need to make it with BACON on it!  Oh man, that would be amazing!  When you make it in the tinfoil, do you add any liquid?  Bake for about 2 hours still?  I supposed I could just make it in a 9x13 dish like normal.

I also made a breakfast pumpkin custard, from the Pinterest page someone posted a while back (Horsepoor again?).  My first time I ate it, I thought it was so so.  My boys didn't like it at all, not sweet enough!  But, as I ate it over the week, I grew to like it more and more. I might have to make it for Thanksgiving. It's a good substitute for pumpkin pie.

Didn't even want it. Aroma was actually sickly sweet to my nose. Who is this person I have become? 

Yes! This is exactly how I feel when I smell too much sugar!  I think I like who we are becoming. :-)

Nope, no liquid.  It will brown a little on the edges which is the best part (aside from the bacon of course) but there's enough moisture in the cabbage to steam it.  More like 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the wedges, but honestly I just cook it for as long as whatever else I'm making because it's good overdone or a little al dente.

Glad you like the custard.  I haven't tried it with pumpkin since I have loads of sweet potato needing to be used, but it will definitely be in regular rotation.  I wonder if some added gelatin would make it even more pie-like?  Or baked with an egg?  Maybe that's getting too close to paleo baking.  IDK.

I tried a 6K run yesterday.  Slogged through but was not feeling zippy by any measure.  Will try again this weekend.  Will hit the gym tonight.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: November 19, 2015, 08:51:35 PM »
Tonight for dinner we had this cabbage dish and this meatloaf and Faraday's cinnamon butternut squash. What a great meal! Kids thought it was meh :-/ but they're just not used to my new and fancy dishes. Everyone ate it, just slowwwwly! hahahha! I have lots of leftovers, apparently all for me, so I will eat like royalty this week!

The only fruit I've had so far today is an apple with almond butter and its almost 8pm. Very surprised that I could do this. Waiting for my cinnamon apple chamomile tea to finish steeping and hoping that will be a reasonable facsimile for dessert/sweets :-)

I had a super stressful morning medical specialist appointment with one of my young son's and we hit up McDonald's after -- the only thing I could find that was compliant was a cup of water and a garden salad, which I had without dressing and had to eat with my fingers to shake off the grated cheese .. hahaha! Wow, that's a big change for me! Thankfully, I slept like the dead last night and was much more myself today (well, my new self). I would have had a much, much more difficult day had I not been eating well.

Off to get my tea! Hope everyone had a good day!

ETA: Small orange and a few cashews at 10pm ... darn
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:26:24 AM by 1967mama »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #582 on: November 20, 2015, 12:12:23 AM »
1967mama, you gave me a good chuckle imagining you sorting through salad to pick out the cheese.
I umm, have a confession to make. I did something a bit odd today. I decided at 11am after a trip to the supermarket to stock up with compliant and family (ie non compliant food) to give myself the day off healthy food and eat whatever I wanted. I'd like to say I had one unhealthy thing, felt yuck and swore off it forever but I would be lying. I ate peanut butter sandwich on fluffy white bakery bread, cornflakes with raisins and milk (at lunch!), a choc chip cookie that I baked yesterday, a homemade smoothie and later my compliant dinner chased by a slice of gooey passionfruit slice at my local cafe. What a bender! 8pm and I feel bloated and gross. It was interesting to observe that nothing tasted as good as I imagined it would - I tried to eat slow and savour but it was all meh, nothing special.  I'm back to Day1 tomorrow and actually looking forward to healthy meals until Xmas. Trying not to be all guilty and judgmental on myself, will just live with the swerve off plan and get back on the horse. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #583 on: November 20, 2015, 01:30:54 AM »
It was interesting to observe that nothing tasted as good as I imagined it would - I tried to eat slow and savour but it was all meh, nothing special. 

Kiwi, This is exactly what happened to me on my 1 day off between Whole 30's. I had oatmeal for breakfast and 1 fancy Godiva chocolate in the evening. The oatmeal was pleasant for me, but I was sure the chocolate would be over-the-top fantastic and it didn't even taste that good. Its so encouraging to think that we've lost our appetite for crap forever!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #584 on: November 20, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »
KiwiSonya - Definitely don't feel bad or beat yourself up about it! We all have to go through those days to reinforce why we are doing this and how we feel when we are eating in a way that is best for our bodies!

Also - Remember - and I think this is important for all of us - to Acknowledge and Celebrate how far we have all come. Some of us are in our first whole 30, some of us have been at it (in some form or another) for a couple of months - but that's it. Look at how far we have all come in such a short amount of time. How life-changing our habits and outlooks are compared to when we started.

Remember When you first started you were on vacation with your family and how much of a struggle it was, how the food (and expectations) had a hold on you? Look at how much has changed in your life! You are rocking it and making huge changes for you and your family!

That's my pep talk for the day :)

I think yesterday was hard for quite a few of us! I resisted the urge to run to the store and grab a pint of ice cream. However, I did have the foresight that the day was going to be crappy for hubs and I and pulled out some chicken wings from the freezer. That was our dinner in it's entirety.  Before, I would have felt super guilty about it...Now I figured, meh it's on plan! Just need to up my veggie intake today :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #585 on: November 20, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »
I'm not doing the Whole30 whole hog (see what I did there? :P) but you guys are great! Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Last night I made a veggie frittata: 3 eggs, spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage. The leftovers will be my lunch today and part of a fry up this weekend. Yum!
Desert was canned pumpkin + oats + protein powder + an egg cooked in a mug in the microwave. Mug cake that is veggie based and flour AND sugar free??? Who knew!
Both were a hit with the girlfriend too.

It's funny, but with just a little willpower (and more fiber...) it's a lot easier to resist the urge to snack between meals. o_O; In the past I would definitely have had a 'mid dinner' snack to fill the void between getting home at 5 and supper being ready at 6:30.

Breakfast this morning was cashews and decaff coffee (oops. Late start...)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #586 on: November 20, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
.... What a bender! 8pm and I feel bloated and gross. It was interesting to observe that nothing tasted as good as I imagined it would - I tried to eat slow and savour but it was all meh, nothing special.  I'm back to Day1 tomorrow and actually looking forward to healthy meals until Xmas. Trying not to be all guilty and judgmental on myself, will just live with the swerve off plan and get back on the horse. Ks

Kiwi, This is exactly what happened to me on my 1 day off between Whole 30's ... I was sure the chocolate would be over-the-top fantastic and it didn't even taste that good. Its so encouraging to think that we've lost our appetite for crap forever!

These comments are splendid, spectacular news! "WTF is Faraday babbling about now?!?!?" :-) Your "cheats" SHOULD change into something different than they were before, and they HAVE!!! That's awesome!

If I cheated and were to overdo it - even to a mere fraction of what I used to do - I get sick and feel bad for hours or even days and I crave to go back to what works and feels good.  I think about the keto foods I'd rather have had and that I just displaced them in my food for the day and it makes me sorry - not guilty - sorry - that I passed up the opportunity to have something better.

Who was it - swick, I think, talking about weight loss being a side effect?!?! When you experience the desire to come back after a cheat, that means you've reached a deeper understanding in your body of what it needs and that you'd rather feed yourself foods that make you feel better. It's more immediate feedback from your body and it's GREAT!

Notice I'm not talking about guilt. I believe guilt is an incomplete response because it's missing the consciousness of what you could have done instead, what you would have preferred, instead. Guilt brings you down but doesn't reinforce the positive work you have already done.

Guilt steals your control, your power, your personal responsibility. Built-in to guilt is the idea that you are merely a subject, obeying a rule. This is not what we are. Even when we "cheat", we are still the same person who is the catalyst for change. We are still the prime mover, the owner of our bodies and the seeker of change. We are changing how we fuel our bodies to achieve enhanced performance, longevity and happiness.

Guilt is felt superficially, kinda around your head. Regret and a desire for what you have chosen, you can feel that a little more completely, it accompanies that "yuck" feeling in your entire body. It's a more life-changing, profound experience.

So: we do these experiments, we feel the emptiness and it reinforces us. It gives us new awareness of what works for ourselves and what doesn't. It makes us stronger and more committed to our choices and eating lifestyles!

Hack the Diet! Yay!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:28:03 AM by Faraday »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #587 on: November 20, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
I used to be able to down entire boxes of chocolates, multiple candy bars, halves of entire cakes, entire packages of double-stuff OREOS (given enough milk).

Last year I ate an entire Walmart tub of frosted mini donuts and made myself actually sick. Binge eating pre-packaged cookies was a bi-weekly occurrence if I was a) feeling down b) feeling up c) feeling down that I wasn't feeling up (so you see, it was whenever. Reasons were excuses). I'm not fat, so for awhile I thought I could get away with this sort of behavior. (LOL. Fun fact: it still fucks you up and you still feel like shit.) I knew it was bad and unhealthy and gross, but I still did it. I'd watched Super Size Me and done a college course in bio that focused on diabetes. I wasn't uneducated about what this stuff does. And I still, a tiny bit, have that urge to just, eat 6 cookies and lay in the crumbs. XD I'm really hoping, like you guys, this will quell that completely. This is week 2 of sugar-free! Commitment is good!

This is not what we are. We are changing how we fuel our bodies for to enhance performance, longevity and happiness.

This is the best quote ever. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #588 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Orvell and congrats on two weeks sugar-free! That is an AWESOME accomplishment!

And...Faraday...another awesome response my internet crush grows by the day <3 ;)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #589 on: November 20, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Orvell and congrats on two weeks sugar-free! That is an AWESOME accomplishment!

And...Faraday...another awesome response my internet crush grows by the day <3 ;)

Back at you, Whole30 Goddess. <3

Wait...did I say that out loud?!?! :-) 

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #590 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
Thanks for the pep talks 1967mama, swick and faraday. Have woken hungry for my whole30 breakfast. It's true that I have come along way -eating crap since I left home 20 years ago and turning that around completely in 2 months. I do feel that I have control of my eating and emotions when it comes to food. And it is empowering to know that those foods that I used to run off the rails with have lost their pull. Faraday is right that I feel like I have a deeper understanding of what my body needs and wants and this will lead to a lifetime of better eating habits well beyond 30 days. Thanks again for the support,  love you guys. And Oro, hang with us and you'll get there in a surprisingly short time.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #591 on: November 20, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »

These comments are splendid, spectacular news! "WTF is Faraday babbling about now?!?!?" :-) Your "cheats" SHOULD change into something different than they were before, and they HAVE!!! That's awesome!

If I cheated and were to overdo it - even to a mere fraction of what I used to do - I get sick and feel bad for hours or even days and I crave to go back to what works and feels good.  I think about the keto foods I'd rather have had and that I just displaced them in my food for the day and it makes me sorry - not guilty - sorry - that I passed up the opportunity to have something better.

Who was it - swick, I think, talking about weight loss being a side effect?!?! When you experience the desire to come back after a cheat, that means you've reached a deeper understanding in your body of what it needs and that you'd rather feed yourself foods that make you feel better. It's more immediate feedback from your body and it's GREAT!

Notice I'm not talking about guilt. I believe guilt is an incomplete response because it's missing the consciousness of what you could have done instead, what you would have preferred, instead. Guilt brings you down but doesn't reinforce the positive work you have already done.

Guilt steals your control, your power, your personal responsibility. Built-in to guilt is the idea that you are merely a subject, obeying a rule. This is not what we are. Even when we "cheat", we are still the same person who is the catalyst for change. We are still the prime mover, the owner of our bodies and the seeker of change. We are changing how we fuel our bodies to achieve enhanced performance, longevity and happiness.

Guilt is felt superficially, kinda around your head. Regret and a desire for what you have chosen, you can feel that a little more completely, it accompanies that "yuck" feeling in your entire body. It's a more life-changing, profound experience.

So: we do these experiments, we feel the emptiness and it reinforces us. It gives us new awareness of what works for ourselves and what doesn't. It makes us stronger and more committed to our choices and eating lifestyles!

Hack the Diet! Yay!

This!  I've grown so much in the last 2 1/2 months that my guilt about what I'm eating has really turned into life lessons. If I choose to eat something like cornbread (which I did two weeks ago), I didn't feel one bit guilty, but WOW did I ever pay for it with a gut that felt like it was going to explode.  And guess what!  That lesson is what helped me say NO to a piece of sourdough bread last night. My cold has been kicking me in the butt, and I just want comfort food. Last night when I warmed up this sourdough bread (only because I need to get it out of the pantry and my boys love it), I REALLY, REALLY wanted a piece. It smelled amazing, it was warm, and I could even visualize the melting butter on top. But sanity quickly returned when I thought about that cornbread. I said no, the boys what they wanted, and the rest went into the trash. WIN!

Last year I ate an entire Walmart tub of frosted mini donuts and made myself actually sick. Binge eating pre-packaged cookies was a bi-weekly occurrence if I was a) feeling down b) feeling up c) feeling down that I wasn't feeling up (so you see, it was whenever. Reasons were excuses). I'm not fat, so for awhile I thought I could get away with this sort of behavior. (LOL. Fun fact: it still fucks you up and you still feel like shit.) I knew it was bad and unhealthy and gross, but I still did it. I'd watched Super Size Me and done a college course in bio that focused on diabetes. I wasn't uneducated about what this stuff does. And I still, a tiny bit, have that urge to just, eat 6 cookies and lay in the crumbs. XD I'm really hoping, like you guys, this will quell that completely. This is week 2 of sugar-free! Commitment is good!

This was me too. I knew better, I am highly educated on what I should and shouldn't eat, but I had an "I don't care" attitude. I think a lot of that is because my cravings were so bad and I just made them worse by eating more crap.

Way to go on the two weeks w/o sugar!  That is a huge accomplishment, and it will only get easier with time.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:43 AM »

If I cheated and were to overdo it - even to a mere fraction of what I used to do - I get sick and feel bad for hours or even days...

ELI5 (Explain like I'm 5) -- Why is this so, Faraday?

I enjoyed your thoughts here; keep on babbling cuz it makes a lot of sense to me!

Day 42 of my Whole60 now complete. I have to remember to keep Lara bars in my purse. I've been stuck out without compliant food two days in a row.

I think I look pretty decent in my boots and slim jeans -- its been a long time since I've been able to say that. I've started wearing light makeup again (eyes and lips) after a 15 year hiatus. This all feels so good to me!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #593 on: November 21, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
For several years I have had an issue with hyperpigmentation. I have a shadow on my skin from a bruise I got in 2007, a dark splotch above my eyebrow from the one time I had my eyebrows threaded (two years ago), the outlines of band-aids from old cuts, and polka-dots on my arms from past year's mosquitoes. I also have two small burns on my wrist from an oven rack last week. The scab just came off one of them, and the healing skin is a normal new skin pink color!!!! This is huge.

Anyways, day before yesterday was day 30 of my second whole30.

Non scale victories: another 30 days of feeling excellent, and the above mentioned lack of hyper-pigmentation from recent injuries.
Scale victories: 4 1/2 lbs lost, putting me in the top end of the healthy BMI range. I still have somewhere between 12 and 27 lbs to lose, but I am down 30 lbs from my highest weight, and about 20 lbs from starting the whole 30 thing.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #594 on: November 21, 2015, 11:39:11 PM »
Wow, Botanist, congratulations on finishing your second Whole30  and those amazing results!  I'm in a funny old place right now, I can't really decide what to do. Should I start again at Day1 after the bender or should I do some reintroduction tinkering? I feel better eating compliant but this time of the year is quite conflicted (except for you, Faraday :). Leaning towards getting back to Day1, will let you know how I go. Think I will go back and read the book and start from scratch again.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #595 on: November 22, 2015, 12:14:44 AM »
Wow, Botanist, congratulations on finishing your second Whole30  and those amazing results!  I'm in a funny old place right now, I can't really decide what to do. Should I start again at Day1 after the bender or should I do some reintroduction tinkering? I feel better eating compliant but this time of the year is quite conflicted (except for you, Faraday :). Leaning towards getting back to Day1, will let you know how I go. Think I will go back and read the book and start from scratch again.

Anger and Indignation are our weapons. Feel the power of the dark side! :-)

KS, it's no surprise to me you are having trouble. The enemy is lobbing junk food bombs at you from all sides. I can sense your guilt, your need to "ease" into this or "lean into it". Let me offer some thoughts:

1) YOU are not conflicted. You are immersed in messages to "buy, eat, enjoy". They do everything except SAY the word "binge". Don't internalize what's coming at you from all sides. What you feel is what YOU feel, not what they try to make you feel.

2) Start over but accept what happened as a necessary thing. Forgive yourself, discard the guilt and BURN what you ate through physical activity. EARN AND BURN, baby. Earn and burn.....

I get the conflict, same as you do KS. (How do you think I even THOUGHT UP "The Season Of Insanity"?) I feel it's tug, it's pull. I call on my own anger and indignance to recharge me and give me a way past it.

3) Are you logging what you eat? I use LoseIt, many use MyFitnessPal. Use something and log everything. Not because I'm telling you to police yourself - I'm telling you that you may not be sinning as much as you think, and logging will tell you that.

Here's to a big 'ol Monkey Bowl at ya, KS!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:16:33 AM by Faraday »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #596 on: November 22, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »

Way to go Botanist! It is super interesting to hear about the pigmentation issues and how they are clearing up - talk about an unexpected and awesome side effect!

KiwiSonya - I might be miss-remembering, but did you do a reintro after your first whole 30?

I know the temptation to just keep going is super strong and many people do it. Just to give you the flip side - I am so so glad that I spent some time in reintro-mode. It makes getting back on the plan (or whatever your version of it ends up being) so much easier.

It gives you context to your decisions - and power. With the whole 30, there are a bunch of rules that, at times, seems arbitrary.  The initial appeal is "it is only for 30 days!"  but doing it longer without the re-intro it makes it much harder to stick with and be motivated if you don't have a "personal" reason for staying away from certain foods. It is the extra little bit of self-knowledge and understanding with your body that adds another level of determination and creates a new lense for how you interact with food. 

Especially if you discover problem foods. It is much, much easier for me to resist the sirens call of wheat/gluten when I know that I will be paying for it with a fibro flare-up that lats days. I'm not denying myself and resisting becuase a plan tells me I must, I am doing it because I know how it affects me and no moment of temporary pleasure is worth the consequences.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: November 22, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
KIwisonya--I get what you're saying about not being sure where to take this journey next. I'm in the same place. I'm half way through my second whole30 now and am also contemplating reintroduction.

Swick and Faraday--thanks for your thoughts. I always appreciate it when you take time to share from your wisdom and experience:-)

Today there was a lunch after church that was 100% non-compliant. I had a feeling this would happen so I brought 2 tiny oranges and a Lara bar. I got to put a new baby to sleep instead, so his mama could eat her lunch. I ate my food when we got out to the car and also made a Greek salad when we got home.

Dinner is BBQ steaks, roasted vegetables and salad. Mmmmm!

Have a great day everyone!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:39:04 AM by 1967mama »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #598 on: November 22, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Today there was a lunch after church that was 100% non-compliant. I had a feeling this would happen so I brought 2 tiny oranges and a Lara bar. I got to put a new baby to sleep instead, so his mama could eat her lunch. I are my food when we got out to the car and also made a Greek salad when we got home.

Dinner is BBQ steaks, roasted vegetables and salad. Mmmmm!

Now THAT was SuperBadass! You anticipated the scenario, prepared, and treated yourself to awesome dinner. THAT's what I'm talkin about!

Hacking the diet has so much in common with MMM. We don't suffer, we change. We wipe out the hedonistic adaptation to junk foods that the entire world is bathed in.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #599 on: November 23, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »
Thanks everyone,  I think I have got myself back in hand. A few strict whole30 days to get myself back into tiger blood then I will do the proper reintro protocol. Because my half hearted reintro effort followed by jumping back into it really didn't give me the quality of info I need. Yes I felt shit after my binge but who knows what that was - sugar, dairy, gluten, preservatives -they were all in there somewhere. By being systematic and logging what I eat (thanks Faraday) I will hopefully come to that better understanding of what my body loves and hates that you were talking about Swick. But I am going to persevere with this - the energy and mental clarity are just too good to give up. Ran to school today with a heavy bag thinking shit this is heavy but watch me go - only to realize it weighed about as much as the fat I've lost -no wonder I used to get tired! Hope everyone else is doing well. Ks