Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427005 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #500 on: November 15, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Tonight I got home later than expected and we were starving.  Declared that we'd be having beef on a Leaf.   Basically spiced ground beef and onion over big salads.  It's amazing how good something simple tastes when starving.  Glad I didn't break and grab Chipotle on the way home.

The point where you'd RATHER eat what you have at home...means you have ARRIVED! What's so awesome is how it perfectly dovetails with MMM/frugalism. I'm certain you ate far better for way less than the meal at Chipotle would have cost.

This is why the temptation to "cheat" fades over time. You realize deeper satisfaction from the right foods. I use OREOs as an example, but I honestly don't want them at all the way I used to. I just use the shock and anger to drive me forward. :-)

Day 6 completed in my Whole60 .. 24 days to go! Tonight I put on the fancy dress that I want to wear to a Christmas gala in a few weeks and I could get the zippers done up, which I couldn't do 2 weeks ago. I'm hopeful that by the end of my Whole60, it will fit well.

In other fashion news, a cute sundress I bought in about 2009 has been way too tight on me practically since the week I bought it. I put it on tonite, and it was TOO BIG FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!! This Whole30 business continues to astound me! I was killing myself laughing and shaking my head. I actually couldn't believe it. I feel like I'm living in my own reality tv show. It seems completely surreal to me.

Ditto when I got into smaller pants - it was this sudden thing that I found almost shocking. Shirt sizes are in smaller increments: I dropped out of 2XL shirts pretty quickly. Now I wear older size "L" shirts (that have shrunken in the wash) or newish "M".

I gotta ask: don't clothes feel completely DIFFERENT on your body now? I think when they size up clothes for chunky folks, the clothing industry does a really bad job of that.

Not only do the clothes fit better in all kinds of places, even the fabrics feel different. It's like the fat was blocking nerve endings. (or all the crap food was diminishing the function of my nervous system).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:45:57 AM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: November 15, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »
Right, Monday morning and I'm starting Day 1 of my next whole30. Two days was enough to tell me I don't want to go back to my old ways. Yes, I will eat whatever I want on Christmas day but I won't go back to the old habits of eating fruit mince pies the day they arrive in the shops, which I think was about 1nov this year! I need every ounce of energy at this time of the year and the old diet simply doesn't deliver on that front. Have a great day everyone (as I tuck into my 3 egg omelette with smokedsalmon, cherry tomatoes and basil - deprivation is what my sister called it!)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #502 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
On that note I am starting to see how subversive chosing a radically different diet is.  My first 30 was written off as a fad diet but I think people are starting to feel threatened now. Like 'what is wrong with my brown rice, quinoa and maple syrup instead of sugar?' I think I'm going to have to stick with 'my body prefers it when I eat this way. ' I don't want arguments and debates. I'm just going to be an example of a different way of living and let the results speak for themselves.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
Right, Monday morning and I'm starting Day 1 of my next whole30. Two days was enough to tell me I don't want to go back to my old ways. Yes, I will eat whatever I want on Christmas day but I won't go back to the old habits of eating fruit mince pies the day they arrive in the shops, which I think was about 1nov this year! I need every ounce of energy at this time of the year and the old diet simply doesn't deliver on that front. Have a great day everyone (as I tuck into my 3 egg omelette with smokedsalmon, cherry tomatoes and basil - deprivation is what my sister called it!)

KS, you make me want to ask you: "What does it mean to eat whatever you want on Christmas Day"?

Now, I'm not challenging you or trying to shame you. I want to do is talk about what "being good" vs. "cheating"  really means. Because we're all different people after we do this, after we reach these vital, life-changing milestones.

Because if you stick to Whole30, by the time Christmas rolls around, you will be a physically different person from who you are today. Quite literally. What you think and feel about cheating SHOULD be different than what you think and feel about it then.

Before I ever thought to hack my diet, I shoveled whatever I wanted to into my mouth. Horrible stuff from all the fast food chains. "Cheating" was not one item. "Cheating" was as much as a day or two binge on horrible, shitty food with absolutely zero nutritional value and totally negative nutritional values. 

Then I'd sufffer for a few days. Reflux, sore teeth from the reflux, swollen sinuses and sinus infections, headaches, digestive pain, constipation, inflammation and swelling, that "over all pain" you get with too much sodium. Not able to sleep. Not able to get up. On and on. This would happen, I'd then go to the doctor to get something for my sinus infections and eventually I got Nexium for the reflux. Doctors threw up their hands on the constipation and just called it "IBS". (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

That cycle is what cheating used to look like for me.

Now, "cheating" is 1/2 of a (small) slice of pie, 1/2 a pint of a nice Oatmeal Stout or splitting an individual serving cake square from the store. It happens once per event, usually a birthday. DW and I have already planned our "cheat" for thanksgiving: 1/2 a cup each of Oyster Dressing, which is about 80% bread and 20% actual good stuff. I'll probably add a 1/2 cup of cranberry sauce.

And that 1/2 of a normal serving of something sweet or mildly bad for me is really all I need - totally "does it" for me. I feel a quick, short, cautionary twinge of guilt. I go on a bike ride to burn the carbs and sugars. I plan my next meal and the next one after that. And I listen, very carefully, to my body to see what happens. Usually, there's no bad aftereffects, but sometimes there are.

And the "cheat event" propels me forward, making me more resistant to the bad foods and more happy with what I choose to eat. Usually, I'll go to my fave websites, find a new recipe for something that looks good and try it. Then I find ever-more satisifaction with what I'm doing and I push ahead.

So: My question to you is - what will your "Christmas Day Cheat" look like, and what do you plan to do to EARN IT AND BURN IT?!?!?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:49:45 AM by Faraday »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
On that note I am starting to see how subversive chosing a radically different diet is.  My first 30 was written off as a fad diet but I think people are starting to feel threatened now. Like 'what is wrong with my brown rice, quinoa and maple syrup instead of sugar?' I think I'm going to have to stick with 'my body prefers it when I eat this way. ' I don't want arguments and debates. I'm just going to be an example of a different way of living and let the results speak for themselves.

PREACH IT SISTER!

I got all manner of shit, and I'm a dude.

This year's holiday crap has already started ebbing-and-flowing at work. There's a "Cookie Party" planned for one day this month. I'm marking that day as OOTO (Out Of The Office). I'll either work from home or schedule a vacation day.

The simple fact is that if people want to come at me with that shit, they learn real fast that it makes them absolutely, completely disposable. Then they back off and figure out that this shit is for reals.

Seriously: You gotta throw the question back at them, that we are answering for ourselves: Why the hell are you killing yourself with that shit? Why do you think it's your job to push it at me? What's wrong with you that you are so obsessed with this stuff that is NOT FOOD?!?

I got to the point where I'd rattle off a few health problems and ask them if they were having the same health problems. When you focus on the health problems rather than weight, it brings a far more serious note to the discussion.  They need to understand that they are behaving like a pusher, in a very literal sense they are a threat to health. That makes them disposable.

And by the way: we've had three fellow employees die in the last calendar year. All three young men. One by cancer, one by stroke, one by heart attack.  The one who died from the stroke passed away in the parking lot at work. He walked to his car, sat down and stroked out. His co-workers watched the EMS load him onto the gurney and cover him with a sheet.

With that kind of ammo, I'm usually unstoppable when it comes to getting people to back off. Heh heh.

Usually, I can get sort-of a halfhearted confession out of the person, a kind of comment about "well, I guess I should be eating healthier". I keep hammering on the bad health effects, enough so that they will be looking for them when they  happen. And they WILL happen. No one is immune!

Sometimes, they even mutter resolutions to themselves about improving their own diet. I harumph and express doubt. Real or not, I don't turn into their "counselor". I don't want to mentor losers. I'll push them out of the lifeboat before I'll allow it to sink under their lack of commitment.

I'm deadly, dangerously serious about what I eat. NOTHING is worth riding the lifestyle disease train to hell.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:54:03 AM by Faraday »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
What do I mean when I say "I've gotten all manner of shit, and I'm a dude"?!?!

First: let's set the context: I am employed in the "high tech" industry. I work in a cube in close proximity to all my co-workers. There is no privacy.

I am married, been married for almost 30 years. I have three framed photos of my wife with my kids in my cube. (And BTW: IMHO, my wife is awesomely beautiful and smart. I constantly tell her how lucky I feel and with a smile, I ask her "if she's still tricked into staying married to me"....)

I don't flirt at work. I don't even like spending time after work with my co-workers, although I will when the occasion demands it.

So....two years ago this March, I started the Keto lifestyle. I'd been on it for about 10 months. Results were visible and dramatic. I was extremely happy with myself, and going through the phase where people started noticing and commenting, and frankly, some female employees' demeanor toward me had changed quite a bit, for the positive. That's nice, but I really don't care. I am there to do a job and that's all.

One young lady, a co-worker of mine who's always wanted me to go to bed with her, took it upon herself to start trying to control what I eat in an effort to put the pounds back on me. (She has NO INTENTION of turning loose of the junk food.)

She started baking cookies, cakes and brownies and bringing them to work, to meetings, to the break room, etc. I wasn't going for any of it.

When that didn't work, she created the idea of a "Chili Cook-Off" with me as a judge, guaranteeing I'd have to eat large amounts of a large number of different chili recipes. (including ones carb-laden with fillers or beans or other sweet vegetables. Definitely not keto)

The Chili Cook-Off started to "grow legs". I was afraid this time something might happen. In staff meetings, she made it sound as if I'd "volunteered"

(Remember, this is someone I barely say "hello" to in the morning....)

At that point I walked into her cube, closed the sliding door (we have these little sliding doors) and started channeling my inner redneck + my inner psychiatrist. I'm a big boy, so when I go into that mode, it gets pretty intimidating.

I pointed out that I would not be involved in any Chili cook-off and that she needs to back off and quit worrying about what I eat. I preached her a sermon about conquering the demons that live within us. I talked about how truly unhappy and empty we are living on junk food.

I laid the fire and brimstone on her.

I told her she'd reached the point where I knew I could not trust her, and that I needed her to leave me alone and try to build that trust back up. I told her let's go on probationary time and see how she does.

Then I followed through: I didn't speak to her for weeks and weeks. Not snippy, just didn't make time, where before I had to work to make the time, I just ignored her presence. (Honestly, it worked wonders for my productivity and I'm happier to this day for it....)

It damn nearly killed her and today she might make a snide comment about something else, but she damn well doesn't touch the subject of FOOD any more. I can handle the other stuff - because I really don't give a shit.

So ladies: you get shit from someone, you gotta BRING THE PAIN. Remember, there are AMPLE ways for you to turn it back on them, because in the end, no one escapes the curse of junk food!!!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
That is really heavy shit, Faraday.  No wonder you are staunch to the cause. I'm re engineering Xmas to suit me but I'm going to want a piece of fruit cake, a fruit mince pie and maybe a piece of pavlova (kind of like a meringue cake). The rest will be more or less compliant. I'll burn it off playing frisbee in the park with the kids in the afternoon. I'm lucky that most kiwis are pretty laidback so don't imagine many stoushes over diet. More likely to get whispers behind my back about being a 'food nazi' or if I lose a lot of weight 'anorexic'. I can handle that. Went shopping and bought a new bra 2 cup sizes smaller and tshirts and shorts in size small. Shit, what will I do when I lose more weight.  Have noticed store sizes getting bigger to make the fat population feel better about themselves. Glad to be swimming against that tide.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »
That is really heavy shit, Faraday.  No wonder you are staunch to the cause.

True, true. It could be TMI, but I thought a good story might explain me a little bit better. I feel sometimes like I need to be that much more energetic here, to give all ya'all more energy and resolve OUT THERE WHERE THE CRAZIES ARE.

Glad to be swimming against that tide.

That's an excellent observation, that sizes are getting bigger. Plus, when I was bigger, I was forever seeing those larger sizes unavailable - being bought out because so many people are that big now.

Honestly, I am completely amazed that everyone on earth isn't the size of a damn house, as strongly as bad food is marketed to us. We live saturated by the bad food gospel.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »
Watch out, here comes a new term coined by the press: "Orthorexia":
https://www.yahoo.com/health/orthorexia-the-accidental-eating-disorder-175516694.html

Some things to be aware of in this article:

1) Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Atkins, any of the low-carb plans don't want you to shrink  your food choices down to a dozen or less. That's not the point of these lifestyles - you all well know, it's figuring out what makes you sick and getting it out of your food chain. I haven't seen any signs of "orthorexia" in this thread at all.

2) "Orthorexia" is not in the DSM. That means right now it's really only a made-up term by the media, open to definition by whoever is writing the article. That's a very important point, since not being in the DSM means it's NOT been researched and defined by scientists doing pure science.

3) Ancel Keys, quoted in the article for the "Minnesota Starvation Experiment" is widely disputed by those in the Keto/Paleo lifestyles because it was his "Seven Countries Study" that laid the foundation for the Food Pyramid pushed by the US Government with the help of lobbyists from the food industry - places like General Mills, Archer-Daniels-Midland, Post, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancel_Keys

Five servings of bread a day, my ass.

Quoting:

"After observing in southern Italy the highest concentration of centenarians in the world, Keys hypothesized that a Mediterranean-style diet low in animal fat protected against heart disease and that a diet high in animal fats led to heart disease. The results of what later became known as the Seven Countries Study appeared to show that serum cholesterol was strongly related to coronary heart disease mortality both at the population and at the individual level.[29][30] As a result, in 1956 representatives of the American Heart Association appeared on television to inform people that a diet which included large amounts of butter, lard, eggs, and beef would lead to coronary heart disease. This resulted in the American government recommending that people adopt a low-fat diet in order to prevent heart disease."

I am totally betting my life AGAINST this statement. So far, my own personal medical data is supporting my bet. Now: I don't "live on meat and butter". I eat a ton of eggs, beef, butter, pork, chicken and seafood. I also eat a ton of salads, celery, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, squash (butternut - delish!),  artichokes, berries (when i can get them) and the (very) occasional apple, orange or canteloupe.  I strive for about 50% fats, 40% proteins and 10% carbs. I don't always make those numbers but that's generally what I'm shooting for.

So, be careful. You might find someone reading this pablum and thinking the term applies to you, when you're really only fighting the FIVE FUCKING OREO DISPLAYS in the high traffic areas at Walmart, the cheap-ass hard cookies in the break room at work and the snack machine loaded with crap.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:42:41 PM by Faraday »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #509 on: November 15, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
Right, Monday morning and I'm starting Day 1 of my next whole30.

Hi KS, may I join you? I'm struggling, and I think having a buddy could be very helpful. Even 17 time zones away.

Which brings us to my random factoid regarding time zones. I work on a ship, and enjoy celestial navigation. Converting between time zones is second nature at this point. Thought I could teach my mom same; thought wrong; failed so hard; mom eternally confused, thinks Australia & New Zealand might actually exist in the future; laughed at mom; mom still quick enough to catch me; bum still sore. Pride, and it's battle with gravity.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:50:37 PM by Sailor Sam »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
Hey Sailor Sam....we are all here with you! We love you man! Meenit! :-)

But hey, I get what you mean. I have those here in the forums I occasionally gab with directly and it's truly helpful!

Right, Monday morning and I'm starting Day 1 of my next whole30.

Hi KS, may I join you? I'm struggling, and I think having a buddy could be very helpful. Even 17 time zones away.

Which brings us to my random factoid regarding time zones. I work on a ship, and enjoy celestial navigation. Converting between time zones is second nature at this point. Thought I could teach my mom same; thought wrong; failed so hard; mom eternally confused, thinks Australia & New Zealand might actually exist in the future; laughed at mom; mom still quick enough to catch me; bum still sore. Pride, and it's battle with gravity.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2015, 08:33:59 PM »
Ha ha Sailor Sam,  would love you to join me. 1967mama is on her 2nd round too just a few days ahead. Seeing I'm living in the future I'll let you know how tomorrow's going to be... Looking good for you so far. Ks

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
So Sailor Sam, how does food on a ship go. I have visions of great pans of lasagne and the only choice being with or without a mountain of mashed potatoes. Ok, that was my only dining experience on a military base. But can you cook your own food and buy your own supplies? Are you at sea now? I imagine logistical difficulties without even starting on the eating culture on the ship. Tell us your struggles...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
KS, thanks, glad to be aboard*  Food on the ship can be challenging to navigate$. Your vision of endless lasagna pans ain't far off - low quality pre-made products, cooked with utter disinterest, and served with contempt. All snacks come from nabisco. There's a ice cream freezer. Midnight rations for watchstanders are generally hotdogs. To be fair, some ships are renowned for their stellar Stewards and galleys, but even those ships serve very mainstream fare. Happily, all cutters have salad bars, and we pull in frequently enough to keep them stocked with fresh stuff 75% of the time.   

Even happily-er, I'm currently rocking a land assignment. I've got my own apartment, with my own kitchen. My struggles are purely psychological. My previous 30 days ended just in time for Halloween. I indulged, and now I'm having a seriously hard time getting back into a healthy groove. Nothing too mysterious, just me shooting myself in the foot.

Faraday, my dudebro. Thanks, that was kind of you. I almost felt an emotion.

*See what I did there?
$Phew, I'm on a roll!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #514 on: November 15, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »
Even happily-er, I'm currently rocking a land assignment. I've got my own apartment, with my own kitchen. My struggles are purely psychological. My previous 30 days ended just in time for Halloween. I indulged, and now I'm having a seriously hard time getting back into a healthy groove. Nothing too mysterious, just me shooting myself in the foot.

Faraday, my dudebro. Thanks, that was kind of you. I almost felt an emotion.
Hey SS: did you catch my manifesto earlier in this thread, on "The Season of Insanity"? Your Halloween indulgence wasn't accident, you were set up man, you were SET UP!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/msg837739/#msg837739

"They" will try to do it again for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. But New Year's, they will blame YOU for it and lay the guilt on in the form of a "New Year's Resolution". "They" expect you to work your ass off trying to keep a resolution they've pre-determined you will fail at. And about the time you give up, sometime around Valentine's Day, they'll throw the 2.5 lbs of fine chocolates at you in a heart shaped box. And just in case you did actually work out after New Year's, they'll try one more time at Easter.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:47:34 PM by Faraday »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #515 on: November 15, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
Sailor Sam, great to hear logistics aren't the problem. I found it helpful to write down in detail what I hoped to get out of my whole30. Then stuck in on the fridge to remind myself when I was struggling. But Faraday is right that you were set up to fail with Halloween and a whole lot more eating disasters are heading our way fast. I actually relish the challenge of doing whole30 through the season of insanity to boost my aura of invincibility. 40 days ago saying no to treats offered to me would have been unthinkable.  Today, no sweat. Next step, keep Christmas to just one day. Not one morsel of festive fare will be passing these lips before 25 Dec, just saved myself a couple of kgs right there. Share your psychological challenges with us as rhey come up. This lovely group has brought me back from rhe brink more than once...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: November 16, 2015, 02:05:22 AM »
Kiwi and SS -- Yes, I'm just one week ahead of you on my Whole60. So technically, I'm living your future and its FREAKING AWESOME!!! I thought I'd experienced the most dramatic changes in my first Whole30 but now I feel like that was just the baby steps. I'm being much more mindful of eating too much fruit and I think that will help me see my numbers and clothing sizes drop. Already feeling the tiger blood after 1 week -- never really ended after the first Whole30

Day 7 here and I went shopping at a lovely consignment boutique today. I took 4 items into the fitting room with me and all 4 fit (said me, never!). I got a tunic, a dress and a nice top. All 3 were flattering and in regular sizes at a regular clothing store.  My plus sized days are behind me forever.  In January I will be 49 -- ack -- but I feel like I'm kind of getting my crap together before I turn 50. It would have been super depressing to be 70+ lbs overweight on my 50th birthday;.

Also today, my 12 y.o. son asked if he could go for a walk around the block and so I asked if I could join him. Before I left I was a little hungry so I had a handful of almonds and a carrot. Its a big country block and takes around 20 minutes. Was lovely and sunny and the cool crisp air did me good. Who is this person?! This is so not me!

My daughter who is doing the Whole30 with me had a birthday today and I made a cake made out of fruit! It was super cute and much appreciated by my sweet daughter. She is doing great on the program but is doing whole30'ish where she is on and off the program due to life circumstances (mostly on).

Kiwi - I love what you said here:
I actually relish the challenge of doing whole30 through the season of insanity to boost my aura of invincibility. 40 days ago saying no to treats offered to me would have been unthinkable. 
I have the same feeling as you and feel like I can accomplish anything! And I was beyond a sweet tooth too -- my kids are all marvelling that I'm eating like dad now. Doh! How did I go on so long the other way? I feel like a million bucks!

Faraday - Thanks for posting on how you deal with haters/doubters/criticizers. I have one friend who I haven't seen or talked to in 5 weeks. She has some pretty strong opinions on dieting, why its wrong, how you are ruining your metabolism, don't deprive yourself etc. I have been tossing around what I'm might to say. I'm not sure if she realizes that me being 70 pounds overweight is not healthy and has me off the charts for risk of many dire conditions. She is my age and size too. I'm not looking forward to seeing her:-( I know I will get an earful.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:09:22 AM by 1967mama »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #517 on: November 16, 2015, 06:33:10 AM »
Sailor, please do jump in!  I'm just on Day 8 myself, so don't feel like you're behind. 

67 - that is a tough one.  Maybe if you frame it not as a weight-loss diet, but a permanent change in eating habits and retooling your taste buds and your  relationship with food to find out what makes you feel best?  Diets are really unfortunate because they've been associated with deprivation and misery, and rightly so, when they involve black coffee and grapefruit and counting calories. 

I think the tiger's blood hit me yesterday.  Tuesday through Friday I was sleeping on the couch with my dog because he had surgery and couldn't make it up and down the stairs and needed help to go out to potty (our house has stairs everywhere).  I probably made it through those days much better than I would have if I hadn't been doing W30, but I was still getting worn down.  Saturday night I was able to sleep in my own bed and to my surprise, I woke up easily after a nice 8 hours, got up and attacked the kitchen - spent most of the day cleaning, organizing and decluttering, made dinner, went to the gym for an awesome workout, came home and cleaned some more.  This morning - ~6 hours of sleep and boom - wide awake at 5 am.

My husband is staying away from basically chips, sweets and alcohol, but still partaking in dairy, grains and other crap like commercial salad dressing, and he was struggling quite a bit with wanting some beer this weekend, and his energy levels aren't up like mine, which I think is interesting.  I won't lie and say a glass of wine didn't sound nice, but I wasn't as preoccupied with it has he was Saturday night.

Oh yeah - I made some white rice last night to go with our beef heart ragu.  I've been thinking of including it in this W30 since before I started.  When I did this in January I got a nasty cold towards the end and found myself at a Chipotle and my body just screaming for some rice and felt so much better after having it.  Since I'm not looking to lose much weight, I'm OK with the carbs, and it fits well with what the Perfect Health Diet authors found with tweaking paleo to work for them.  Anyway, we won't be eating tons of it, but thought I'd throw in that data point. Also weighed in yesterday morning since I didn't want to weight in post-race and birthday dinner extravaganza the previous weekend.  167.2 - so basically not loss yet, but I feel like I was eating a lot last week and not exercising, so not surprising.  164 would be nice to see three weeks from now, but my clothes are fitting well so I'm happy.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #518 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:03 AM »
Great information Faraday -- thank you for sharing. So many people now are vegan, gluten-free, paleo, or dairy-free nowadays. There's no right or wrong answer for everyone, people have to "ride their own bike" as they say on Whole30 and find what works for them.  I think when people belittle your food choices, they have some underlying issues themselves.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #519 on: November 16, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
Great information Faraday -- thank you for sharing. So many people now are vegan, gluten-free, paleo, or dairy-free nowadays. There's no right or wrong answer for everyone, people have to "ride their own bike" as they say on Whole30 and find what works for them.  I think when people belittle your food choices, they have some underlying issues themselves.

Thanks Liz, much appreciated.

I think eating disorders are serious business - I've encountered someone with Anorexia Nervosa before and it scares the hell out of me.  But food is a personal journey, something that lives inside our minds and bodies and we must find our own path. It is up to us here in this thread to call out the shams and hucksters who are trying to steal that control from us.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #520 on: November 16, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
Faraday - Thanks for posting on how you deal with haters/doubters/criticizers. I have one friend who I haven't seen or talked to in 5 weeks. She has some pretty strong opinions on dieting, why its wrong, how you are ruining your metabolism, don't deprive yourself etc. I have been tossing around what I'm might to say. I'm not sure if she realizes that me being 70 pounds overweight is not healthy and has me off the charts for risk of many dire conditions. She is my age and size too. I'm not looking forward to seeing her:-( I know I will get an earful.

Oh sis, you don't have to be at your ultimate goal to blow someone's mind. You are gonna rock her world when she sees you next. No matter what she says, just remember that.

One question: Are you able to get some bloodwork done at your personal physician? Some good, solid physical evidence of improved numbers never hurts to have handy.

I had mine done just to make sure I was on the right track and just getting the data ever-more-firmly cemented my conviction.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #521 on: November 16, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »
Hi All,

Looks like everyone had a busy weekend with a lot of revelations! Went on a "girls weekend" with my mom and sister to the good ol' USA. Was quite enlightening! Did pretty good! Had a glass of wine, (meh could take it or leave it) didn't feel any desire to finish it so didn't. Had a Creme Brule (AKA Burnt cream in America) for dessert. Had a couple of bites and really enjoyed it, but felt no need to finish it. Kept gluten/wheat free which was the big one for me. 

Shopping is sure easier when you can automatically ignore everything that isn't compliant! Went to Trader Joe's for the frist time. Sis and mom rave about it. I found it to be a grocery store with a few neat things but full of "pseudo health food" that at the end of the day isn't much better for you. Did get some good quality cheap seafood, nuts and nitrate free bacon (almost impossible to find in Canada) so that was awesome.  I saw so many people that just made me sad though. Can't imagine the quality of life that these people experience due to their dietary choices.

Oh, Hubs is on his smallest belt hole now! He had a fantastic productive weekend without me and even went for Chinese food buffet with his family (their tradition) He had one plate, and while he had some wheat and sugar and soy (and lord knows what else) he said he limited his portions (despite pressure to go get more) and said he felt really great! I know I'm more sensitive in every way (we joke I'm the canary in the coal mine) but it was great for him to be able to show the self-restraint and to navigate his family :)

Starting my next whole 30 with my mom today! So excited to have the company SailorSam and KiwiSonya!

I do think I will be doing a slightly modified Keto version, and will allow myself some grass fed butter and occasional bit of cheese and trying to keep in keto and really being consious of and limiting the higher carb fruits and veg.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #522 on: November 16, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Hi, welcome back everyone. 1967mama so excited to think it gets even better. I'm still hanging out for the moment someone who doesn't know what I'm doing notices! I feel like I am right back into tiger blood which is awesome.  I'm going to use that energy to get some spring cleaning and decluttering done like horsepoor. 1967mama, I wouldn't even bother coming up with a witty retort. She's going to take one look at you and be on her ass. Let's face it we seldom notice when people are on diets because they don't work. She's going to be able to tell that something more serious is going on and that it's good for you by the smile and the attitude.
There's a big celebration this morning for a family leaving at my Playcentre. For the first time I baked something I have no intention of eating (sausage rolls) and  I don't even feel tempted. There will be all kinds of sugary junk but I will still be full of bacon, eggs and spinach. Will treat myself by getting rid of a ton of too big clothes today. Ha ha, listen to me...

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #523 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »
Ok boys and girls, I'm going to channel my Melissa Hartwig inner self with this post.  I'm going to first say that this is NOT meant to be personal or NOT meant to say that you shouldn't be on this thread....OK?  :-) 

If you are eating rice, you are not doing the Whole30.  If you are eating butter, you are not doing the Whole30. If you are weighing yourself before the 30 days is up, you are not doing the Whole30.  If you are eating trace sugar (like me :-)), you are not doing the Whole30. Why am I saying this? Because those are the rules, and the rules are the rules. I don't want lurkers (which WHY are you lurking? Join the party!) on this thread to think those things are ok on the Whole30, because the rules say they are not. (Remember I didn't write the rules....just the messenger.)

What you CAN say is that you did the Whole30 and you're now in the reintro phase.  Or you can say that you're doing Keto instead (shout out to Faraday), which is a close cousin or even sibling to the Whole30.  Heck, this group has open arms for most diet hackers.  And I don't use the word 'diet' as in a temporary thing....I mean it as our way of life.  But....YOU ARE NOT DOING THE WHOLE30 unless you are following the rules.

Ok, I'm off my soap box, and Melissa has left my body.

1967mama - I DO think you are perfectly fine to continue with your Whole60, even with the small sugar slip up because it wasn't intended and you immediately corrected.  I actually had the same thing for my first time around, and after reading the official Whole30 blog, I was happy to continue on my journey.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #524 on: November 16, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Hey SS: did you catch my manifesto earlier in this thread, on "The Season of Insanity"? Your Halloween indulgence wasn't accident, you were set up man, you were SET UP!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/msg837739/#msg837739

"They" will try to do it again for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. But New Year's, they will blame YOU for it and lay the guilt on in the form of a "New Year's Resolution". "They" expect you to work your ass off trying to keep a resolution they've pre-determined you will fail at. And about the time you give up, sometime around Valentine's Day, they'll throw the 2.5 lbs of fine chocolates at you in a heart shaped box. And just in case you did actually work out after New Year's, they'll try one more time at Easter.

I sure did read you manifesto. You're not wrong. Lots of research goes into making processed food highly desirable, and lots of marketing goes into getting us to buy junk. For me, just thinking of mac & cheese makes me crave that blue box. Despite the fact that eating dairy makes me puke. That's some strong conditioning!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #525 on: November 16, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Interesting observations, mom22 boys!

Your warning are correct for those just getting started and those who are lurking.  The whole idea of "Whole 30"  is that it is a temporary plan to help you figure out what is the best way of eating for you. it IS NOT meant to be a long-term "diet"

Naturally, as people get to the end of their 30 days and the re-intro phase - people are going to figure out a way that works for them while still staying in the "spirit" of and with the lessons learned from whole 30 and figuring out what that means to them going forward.

In my opinion, the only place the whole 30 really isn't helpful is the area of re-intro and what it means "after the fact" the fact that so many of us have struggled with it and feel a little lost and trying to figure out what that means for the rest of our lives highlights the fact that this is information that is needed

We could split off into a bunch of different threads, but I think it is important to note that there are many different options and ways of cultivating health after the whole 30 is done, and that part of the journey is as important as the initial 30 days.

So, I totally get where you are coming from, and the reminder is important, especially for those who are new to the whole 30 - or if you are breaking the rules because you are lazy/lack the motivation/whatever

....but I'm going to go with the philosophy that guides my life...If you have a clear understanding of the rules, you can bend, adjust, modify them if you do so consciously, with purpose and for your highest good.  I'm still going to call it "whole 30"  because it works for me, and I will be very careful to note any personal deviations that are not strict whole 30 compliant. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:44:13 PM by swick »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #526 on: November 16, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »

Your warning are correct for those just getting started and those who are lurking.  The whole idea of "Whole 30"  is that it is a temporary plan to help you figure out what is the best way of eating for you. it IS NOT meant to be a long-term "diet"

Naturally, as people get to the end of their 30 days and the re-intro phase - people are going to figure out a way that works for them while still staying in the "spirit" of and with the lessons learned from whole 30 and figuring out what that means to them going forward.

In my opinion, the only place the whole 30 really isn't helpful is the area of re-intro and what it means "after the fact" the fact that so many of us have struggled with it and feel a little lost and trying to figure out what that means for the rest of our lives highlights the fact that this is information that is nee

We could split off into a bunch of different threads, but I think it is important to note that there are many different options and ways of cultivating health after the whole 30 is done, and that part of the journey is as important as the initial 30 days.

So, I totally get where you are coming from, and the reminder is important, especially for those who are new to the whole 30 - or if you are breaking the rules because you are lazy/lack the motivation/whatever

....but I'm going to go with the philosophy that guides my life...If you have a clear understanding of the rules, you can bend, adjust, modify them if you do so consciously, with purpose and for your highest good.  I'm still going to call it "whole 30"  because it works for me, and I will be very careful to note any personal deviations that are not strict whole 30 compliant.

Agree with EVERYTHING you wrote! I was definitely not proposing a separate thread. The reintro is part of the process, and I agree that the reintro has been way harder than actually DOING the Whole30. We need to support everyone in that, and then make changes to what works for us individually. My point was when we're actually IN the Whole30, let's stick to the rules. If you're doing a hack of the Whole30, make sure it's called out, just like you said....because it works for YOU! :-)  If you're doing reintro, then call that out too.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #527 on: November 16, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
Ok boys and girls, I'm going to channel my Melissa Hartwig inner self with this post.  I'm going to first say that this is NOT meant to be personal or NOT meant to say that you shouldn't be on this thread....OK?  :-) 

If you are eating rice, you are not doing the Whole30.  If you are eating butter, you are not doing the Whole30. If you are weighing yourself before the 30 days is up, you are not doing the Whole30.  If you are eating trace sugar (like me :-)), you are not doing the Whole30. Why am I saying this? Because those are the rules, and the rules are the rules. I don't want lurkers (which WHY are you lurking? Join the party!) on this thread to think those things are ok on the Whole30, because the rules say they are not. (Remember I didn't write the rules....just the messenger.)

What you CAN say is that you did the Whole30 and you're now in the reintro phase.  Or you can say that you're doing Keto instead (shout out to Faraday), which is a close cousin or even sibling to the Whole30.  Heck, this group has open arms for most diet hackers.  And I don't use the word 'diet' as in a temporary thing....I mean it as our way of life.  But....YOU ARE NOT DOING THE WHOLE30 unless you are following the rules.

Ok, I'm off my soap box, and Melissa has left my body.

1967mama - I DO think you are perfectly fine to continue with your Whole60, even with the small sugar slip up because it wasn't intended and you immediately corrected.  I actually had the same thing for my first time around, and after reading the official Whole30 blog, I was happy to continue on my journey.

Oh, I read this and swooned. :-) :-) :-)

The parallels to learning and living the MMM lifestyle are numerous and significant. We don't come here to the MMM forums to save for a little while then go back to being consumer suckkas. We change our lives and we live a new lifestyle. Same for hacking the diet, be it Whole30, Paleo, Keto, whatever.

DIET is a four letter word. I usually say "Keto Lifestyle", and if the person gets a really odd look on their face, I explain that it's the food I eat and the way I live, normally people call this a diet but I don't.

This is the core belief we all have in common, and it's why I love all ya'all and this thread so much. The commitment to finding the truth and letting it change you.

Once you have experienced success, change and life improvements, it puts "cheating" in a whole different perspective and not really one we prefer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #528 on: November 16, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »

In my opinion, the only place the whole 30 really isn't helpful is the area of re-intro and what it means "after the fact" the fact that so many of us have struggled with it and feel a little lost and trying to figure out what that means for the rest of our lives highlights the fact that this is information that is nee

Well said, and point taken about not confusing any lurkers.  I hope I made my point clear about why I am eating rice.  I don't have much weight to lose and feel like my metabolism is on track.  It was also a conscious debate in my mind in the weeks before starting, and based on what I've read, plus previous experience.

The rules are useful, but in some senses they are also arbitrary.  I was reading directly from their website this morning, and commercial kombucha with added fruit juice is A-OK with them, but some vanilla extract is not.  They seem to not be concerned that the commercial kombucha can have up to .5% alcohol, and is probably being consumed by the pint, vs. using a teaspoon of vanilla in a recipe that probably makes a few servings, not to mention the fruit juice added after fermentation.  I would also rather incidentally ingest less than a gram of added sugar in some horseradish once or twice during the month vs. going out to eat and having unknown things added to my food (let's face it, who knows what might be in grilled chicken on that restaurant salad, or in those reconstituted hotel breakfast eggs).  Obviously everyone has to figure out where to draw their line, and while I don't see a problem with the horseradish, it can be a slippery slope down to slathering everything in BBQ sauce if you're not reading labels carefully.  My purpose with this W30 was mainly to get myself back on track after a few months of being very busy, traveling a lot and getting sloppy with my diet.  I wanted to see if my allergies and congestion would clear up, and so dairy, wheat and alcohol have been my three main suspects on that front.  I've also been strict with staying away from soy and all other legumes even though I know that black beans and lentils seem to agree with me.  As far as the rice, I haven't read anything negative about white rice other than the total carb content and glycemic index.  W30 used to forbid white potatoes and now they've flexed on that.  I suspect that they would also flex on white rice as well if they weren't in the dreaded "grains" category.

I don't mean for any of this to sound defensive, I just wanted to lay out my thought process more clearly.  I think it's worthwhile that you reiterated that W30 does have strict rules, but on the other hand, they do basically say - these are the rules, but do what you want.  Of course, they've also developed a vegetarian W30 shopping list that includes lentils, beans and fermented soy, and I think that could be a useful reference for people wanting to try something similar without quite as much meat.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: November 16, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
I was texting with my sis in a town an hour away (haven't seen her since before whole30) and she is intrigued! I'm super psyched! I sent her a pic of my new slimmer self taken yesterday. The first thing she said was "I can't stop eating...!" And she also said, "But what will I put in my 6 cups of coffee?" To which I answered "Coffee!"  Haha!

I'm having trouble falling asleep at night but I think it's family stress stuff .. Hubs is away on business, some of the little kids were away for the weekend, one young adult having mental health challenges. That sorta stuff keeps me awake, whole30 or not. I'm certain, though, that I would be handling things infinitely worse if I weren't eating so well. Also, the desire for exercise (even though it's just walking) seems to be a stress mitigator.

I LOVED the channelling of Melissa Hartwig! You are so right. I am definitely Whole60 here :-) On the straight and narrow. Not a bit of non-compliant food passing these lips except the tiny bit of (grrrrr) non compliant almond butter. I feel like writing to Maranatha about that!

I've asked this before, but it's slipped by: will I continue to lose weight if I add back foods in reintroduction that work well with my body? I was thinking about this for post Whole60. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #530 on: November 16, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
1967mama - for your sister: I am not fond of black coffee, but for the last couple of years my partner has been adding fat (butter until recently, coconut oil or ghee now) to his coffee and whipping it up with an immersion blender. The result is amazing, makes cream and sugar totally unnecessary, and it cuts the jitters.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »

I've asked this before, but it's slipped by: will I continue to lose weight if I add back foods in reintroduction that work well with my body? I was thinking about this for post Whole60. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

I think it depends on what you reintroduce, and what you mean by 'work well with my body'. :-)  My experience has been yes, but WAYYYYYYY slower. I think the only thing I reintroduced the first four weeks was trace sugar, and that preservative in Costco chicken.  After that month, my weight lose was only about 4 lbs.

At the beginning of November I added back rice, and I had no problems but I did feel slightly bloated. Not bad enough to give it up completely. I then cut it back out for the last two weeks, and have been back to only adding back trace sugar. I weighted this morning and I'm down 3 lbs in those two weeks.  Also, I've been working out more too, so I'm sure I'm also gaining muscle.

At the end of the day....it's still just a number and I'm more focused on how I look and feel.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #532 on: November 16, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
First day. Let me describe to you how Everything Sucks.

I wasn't hungry for breakfast, which is unsurprising considering how badly I've been over consuming calories. Brought tea to work, instead of buying coffee at the mess. Didn't want the hassle, or the temptation.

Had a nice salad with bacon dressing for lunch.

Super sleepy because of no coffee.

PT'd with an underling after lunch. It's cold and windy in Seattle today, and I didn't bring enough clothes to be exercising outside. I hated every second, and complained lustily. The underling thought it was pretty funny, and handily kicked my ass on all exercises. Ever had your ass handed to you by a relentlessly cheerful and blond woman? It's weird, because you want it to stop, but you want it to go on.

Had some almonds when I got home. Took a shower (still cold), put on many layers of clothes, and hid under the covers. Inevitable nap occurred. Woke up with a no-coffee headache.

Had salmon salad over greens for dinner. Made my tummy feel a little funny. Probably added too much mayonnaise. But my stomach will have to endure cooking more bacon for tomorrow's salad.

It's 64 degrees inside my dwelling, I'm cold but too stubborn to turn the heat on. My wife is off flying, so I can't call her and whine. My head hurts. Tomorrow starts a 3-day work conference with people I don't like. Everything Sucks.

Todays whine has been brought to you by the letter 'F', and the word 'everything.'

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2015, 09:15:47 PM »
... handily kicked my ass on all exercises. Ever had your ass handed to you by a relentlessly cheerful and blond woman? It's weird, because you want it to stop, but you want it to go on.

I think that about Ronda Rousey all the time. Best handball game I ever played, the short, athletic brunette kicked my ass. I still remember it fondly.

It's 64 degrees inside my dwelling, I'm cold but too stubborn to turn the heat on. My wife is off flying, so I can't call her and whine. My head hurts. Tomorrow starts a 3-day work conference with people I don't like. Everything Sucks.

Your wife flies? Not EVERYTHING sucks, buddy!

Todays whine has been brought to you by the letter 'F', and the word 'everything.'
Noted. Continue your Badassity, soldier.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #534 on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
Sorry for your woes on Day1, Sailor Sam. I'm sure it wasn't hilarious to live but gave me a giggle imagining it. Somebody earlier in the thread said "whole30 or give up coffee not both"- maybe they had a point. With my unique living in the future postcode, I predict rainbow pooping unicorns for you before the week is out. Hang in there...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »
But you made it through day 1 Sailor Sam -- and your food choices were great! I'm 2 hours North of you and the weather sucked here today too. No exercise for me :-( I shouldn't let the weather stop me but I'm a bit of a wimp still.

I went to Costco tonight for almond butter and spent $500:-/  I actually bought 3 almond butters after my debacle with Maranatha a few days ago. I did make a lot of healthier choices for my family for the first time. Healthier granola bars, no sugar mango juice, no sugar applesauce cups, fruit squeeze things (also no sugar) with chia & bypassed the entire chip section (unheard of!). I think my teens will moan and groan a little with junk food not entering the panty but the little kids were excited by the fruit squeeze things. Not exactly Mustachian but a step in the right direction for our health.

Hubs continues to marvel at his new healthy wife :-) which is great for my ego and boosts my Tiger Blood factor by 1000. No stopping me now!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #536 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:14 AM »
swick -- Please post some of your food choices during the next ketoish/Whole30ish;) month! I bought a package of raspberries after about three weeks of strict no fruit. They taste sweet now, when before I could only taste the tanginess.

mom22boys - Totally agree with your post! I call my way of eating right now "Whole30ish," but it's not Whole30 anymore. And that's okay, I did my strict 30 days, which is helping me carve out my own path and what works best for me!  I know it's not all about the weight loss, but I wanted to share that between a month of Whole30 and a month of keto, I've lost about 10 pounds. I'm only 5'2, so every pound on me feels like a big difference! That's a 10 pound dumbbell I've been carrying around on me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #537 on: November 17, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
But you made it through day 1 Sailor Sam -- and your food choices were great! I'm 2 hours North of you and the weather sucked here today too. No exercise for me :-( I shouldn't let the weather stop me but I'm a bit of a wimp still.

I went to Costco tonight for almond butter and spent $500:-/  I actually bought 3 almond butters after my debacle with Maranatha a few days ago. I did make a lot of healthier choices for my family for the first time. Healthier granola bars, no sugar mango juice, no sugar applesauce cups, fruit squeeze things (also no sugar) with chia & bypassed the entire chip section (unheard of!). I think my teens will moan and groan a little with junk food not entering the panty but the little kids were excited by the fruit squeeze things. Not exactly Mustachian but a step in the right direction for our health.

Hubs continues to marvel at his new healthy wife :-) which is great for my ego and boosts my Tiger Blood factor by 1000. No stopping me now!

Whoah, I bet that is expensive with your crew.  :)  FWIW, I found when I started eating healthier that I was able to bring my costs down over time and now it seems easier to scratch make lots of things and I don't really spend much, if any more than when I was eating packaged junk.  Eventually you figure out what the true staples are, and the best place to purchase them.  Next step is challenging those kids to create their own treats!

+1 on coconut oil whirled into coffee.  I was also doing the butter thing for a few months, but now I'm doing exclusively coconut oil and think I might stick with it after W30 because it's cheaper and I like it just as well.  Maybe someday I'll grow up and drink my coffee black.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #538 on: November 17, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
Good on you guys for sticking to the healthy eating and exercise during bad weather. We are moving into summer so I feel like my choices are getting easier but you'd be finding the opposite.  Double badass points for weight loss in winter. Great weight loss, Liz. I know I should try keto as my sweet tooth is still alive and I still occasionally eat for reasons other than hunger -and it's always fruit. I feel like a whining three year old but it's still a 'treat' I feel I need. Which of course is utter crap and I just need to grow up and find other ways to deal with things. I think this rather than weight loss needs to be my focus for this whole30. Ok, today's challenge - no fruit for me. Yay, 1967mama, you are doing so great. Envious of your supportive hubby. Our grocery bills have been shocking but like Swick, I will get them down over time. Have a great day everyone.  Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: November 17, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
swick -- Please post some of your food choices during the next ketoish/Whole30ish;) month! I bought a package of raspberries after about three weeks of strict no fruit. They taste sweet now, when before I could only taste the tanginess.

Throughout all my time on the whole 30 and following whole 30-ish I have started the morning with some coconut oil and coconut milk buzzed tea.

Breakfast yesterday was a couple of slices of turkey bacon and a whole avocado made up into guac.  I wasn't that hungry so skipped lunch and had a few pistachios while I was making dinner. Dinner was a Thai coconut milk/oil curry with onions and loads of spinach served over roasted cauliflower.

This time around is going to be much harder since our weekly veggie crop is done for the year and the produce in stores right now leaves a lot to be desired. I'm very envious of those in the Southern Hemisphere! Going to be making some more soups and kimchi....yikes computer is forcing a restart...to be continued!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
...and we're back!

My sister called last night and has decided to join my mom and I for this round! This is awesome, she usually eats really well and honey in her morning lemon water and homemade sourdough are her only vices - She is pretty confident she'll be fine and the important thing is she lives next door to my mom so can be that support/accountability. 

I have two company Christmas Parties on top of all the family stuff, so it should be a good challenge for me!

How is everyone else doing? What are ya'll eating?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #541 on: November 17, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
I sent my sister a photo of my sample Whole30 breakfast of 3 eggs and a ton of fried up veggies and she sent me back a photo of her sample lunch:
https://thebrendans.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/roldgold.gif

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: November 17, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
erp! I would take your eggs and veg any day! Although I made the mistake of walking past a display of fresh pretzel buns in the store and  found myself standing there breathing in as deeply as I could for ao good five minutes. I do miss soft pretzels.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #543 on: November 17, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
Leftover pure pork sausages and homemade tomato ragu with a million vege hidden in it for me for breakfast.  So far from the cereal addict. With no fruit or serious carbs I can now taste the metal so hopefully burning some fat in ketosis today. Unfortunately I have a lot of tempting fruit in the bowl and my berry bushes have green ones on them so I won't be fruit free forever, but even a couple of fruit days a week would be an improvement. Looking forward to steak and a huge salad for lunch.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: November 17, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Leftover pure pork sausages and homemade tomato ragu with a million vege hidden in it for me for breakfast.  So far from the cereal addict. With no fruit or serious carbs I can now taste the metal so hopefully burning some fat in ketosis today. Unfortunately I have a lot of tempting fruit in the bowl and my berry bushes have green ones on them so I won't be fruit free forever, but even a couple of fruit days a week would be an improvement. Looking forward to steak and a huge salad for lunch.

Sounds delish! I had some egg drop soup using a soup mix my mom makes with dehydrated veggies from her garden and a couple of pieces of turkey bacon for breakfast.

For dinner, I am planning on making some pork and spinach meatballs in a tomato sauce (using roasted tomatoes from my garden) over some zoodles with a pan of roasted brussel sprouts.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
I've got a nice big whole chicken roasting in the crockpot this afternoon. Will bake up some sweet potatoes for the side and maybe a salad.

Quiet day inside. Quite stormy and windy/rainy here again. Lots of homes have lost power but ours is still good.

Wearing a new outfit today. I feel pretty:-)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #546 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
I've got a nice big whole chicken roasting in the crockpot this afternoon. Will bake up some sweet potatoes for the side and maybe a salad.
Quiet day inside. Quite stormy and windy/rainy here again. Lots of homes have lost power but ours is still good.
Wearing a new outfit today. I feel pretty:-)

Dang, talk that sexy talk '67! it don't get no better than that!

I'll raise yer chicken with pork chops, broccoli and herb tea for dinner here, while confessing I do covet your sweet potatoes.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #547 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
Hey Ho, everybody. Happier day today, though I've been battling a low grade headache since mid-morning. I'm prone to headaches, and I have to regulate my caffeine intake really closely. Ingesting some caffeine curtails chronic headaches, but any changes in the amount triggers...headaches. Switching to tea on Monday was a terrible idea, as was drinking 3 cups of coffee today. Too bad I love the stuff so much.

Homemade full-fat chicken broth for breakfast. Hard boiled eggs, bacon crumbles, and artichoke hearts over salad greens for lunch. I'm not quite sure what dinner will be, but there's a steak defrosting on the counter. Steak and peas, maybe?

Biggest lesson so far on this round is how quickly my cravings for junk food switched off. I'm not even in ketosis, and my desire for junk is simply missing. Today I spent 9 hours in a room with muffins, cookies, AND bagels. I noticed them walking by, but I felt no pull. Very empowering feeling. I guess KS's vision of my unicorn future was right! 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #548 on: November 17, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Sooooo I'm not doing the Whole30 plan. But I am cutting out sugar and reducing breads/rices while upping my veggie intake.
>__>
Can I hang out? :)

Today for dinner I made two eggs cooked in coconut oil, with a nice big heap of roasted veggies that will make my tomorrow's lunch (potatoes, onions, carrots, zucchini, and brussel sprouts).
Yum!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »
Sooooo I'm not doing the Whole30 plan. But I am cutting out sugar and reducing breads/rices while upping my veggie intake.
>__>
Can I hang out? :)

Welcome, Orvell! Your dinner sounds awesome!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!