Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427050 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2015, 12:53:28 AM »
Sailor Sam!

Congratulations! Bet you will FEEL fine in that fancy uniform too! That's a lot of cm to lose -- so impressive! You rocked it!

BMI - You know, for me it's fairly accurate also. My weight feels super healthy when I am one tick inside the healthy BMI range for my height and that was my body's own set point weight in my early adulthood, before kids. It is crazy to think that I'm 70+ lbs over that weight. That is the weight of my 8 year old son and I'm carrying that around with me 24/7/365?! Ack. No wonder I felt like crap all the time!

Your cheat - I would be interested to know how you feel in the coming days. I'm hitting day 20 tomorrow so I'm just 10 days behind you. Still waffling on whether to go immediately into a second whole30 or whether to take a few days off.

Hope you enjoyed your evening. I get what you mean about not wanting to stand out. We had 2 higher ups at our table at that fancy gala I had to go to in my first week of whole30. I started my whole30 again the next day and haven't looked back since.

Cheers, Sailor Sam. You're a real inspiration!

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
Congrats Sailor Sam on finishing the Whole 30! What an accomplishment.

I've seen a bit of a drop in the scale this week. That's encouraging. I'd been maintaining my weight for ~2 weeks even though I've been very compliant. I'm guessing after so many weeks of being on plan there was some fat/water re-calibration going on.

I need to take pictures and measurements to have a different way to stay accountable!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
Hi Genevieve,  the scales aren't the best way to track your progress as they really only illustrate the water balance going on in your body. It goes up, down and all around as your body gets used to it's new food supply. It can be depressing and off putting which is why they tell you not to weigh yourself during whole30. While not a fine measurement you will notice your clothes getting looser, your face getting thinner and your energy levels getting better.  These seem to be more consistent improvements to measure your progress against.  Day16 today -bring on the tiger blood. I have a busy day running around with 20 preschoolers. Last night I survived our Playcentres AGM with wine and nibbles. A few pieces of pineapple and a few grapes from a cheese platter felt like a treat and I really didn't want anything else.  Filled my wine glass with water and no one noticed. It feels great to have the resolve to stick with this even in the face of temptation that in the past I would have caved to. And you know a switch has occurred in my brain- I'm not making these decisions because I don't want to have to start again. I'm doing it because that food makes me feel crap and I want to continue to feel good. Oh to have control over my eating -probably for the first time since my early teens. Wow! Have a healthy,  happy day everyone.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
Hi Genevieve,  the scales aren't the best way to track your progress as they really only illustrate the water balance going on in your body. It goes up, down and all around as your body gets used to it's new food supply. It can be depressing and off putting which is why they tell you not to weigh yourself during whole30. While not a fine measurement you will notice your clothes getting looser, your face getting thinner and your energy levels getting better.  These seem to be more consistent improvements to measure your progress against. 

Seconded! I weighed myself fairly often when I started Keto but eventually I had to stop when I got down into areas of "finer weight control". The scale IS good for signaling dehydration, but if it's bad enough for the scale to see it, you aren't paying attention.

It's even worse when you try fat fasting. (Whole30 folks can safely ignore this term... :-) ) Fat fasting will dehydrate the hell out of me and I think I'm losing weight but feeling like crap. Net result is nothing.

I have one friend who weighs every day. Screw that. I weigh maybe every other week now.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
I weigh about once a week but try not to take too much stock in the number ~ I took some pictures at the beginning of my Whole30, and I need to take some more pictures now to do a comparision!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Kiwisonya - That
Was a great description of why you aren't tempted by the sweets and treats and cheese and such - that describes me to a tee! What a victory over food!

Genevieve - I was totally addicted to weighing myself every day before I did the Whole30. I am still working to break those chains but haven't weighed myself since the end of week one. I'm on day 20 now. A few pages ago, SailorSam posted a super article on why the scales lie. It was very helpful to me. I would repost it here but I'm on an iphone at present. I am
Committed to only weighing myself once every 30 days.

I had a really awesome sleep last night. I love that feeling! I just need to string
Several of those together now!

This may be tmi -- but suffice to say I've found my scalp is now 98% healthy. This has been a problem for me for many years.

Have a great day everyone!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: October 28, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
I've been struggling a bit with the scale thing. In my first whole30 I was mostly good about not weighing myself, but in the week between whole30's my living situation/location shifted and now the scale is just too convenient at the gym. I have not lost weight yet from this one, and have been noticing how much it is messing with my brain to weigh in too frequently. It really, really does not matter that I weigh the same as I did last week. I have resolved to ignore the damn scale.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
I like the data from weighing in. I don't get obsessive about it. It is what it is. But it does help me keep track of long term trends. Eventually the small moves on the scale add up to something one way or the other.

But I know Whole30 says no weighing so kudos to you all that are abstaining.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
You can do it, Botanist! I'm feeling a release of the pressure valve about the scale. The more days that tick by without weighing myself, the more I'm noticing all the other great things happening to my body and in my mind. Each day or two, I'm noticing something new! It's amazing and exciting!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2015, 02:34:01 AM »
Help, advice needed on kicking the sugar habit.  Found myself mindlessly snacking on the kids fruit leftovers (big problem hating waste but using myself as the garbage can). Anyhow this set off a raging sugar craving which led me to eat yep, more fruit. Stayed away from the dates but probably had 4 servings of fruit today. Growing up in a fruit bowl area I have probably always eaten too much fruit (like 6 pcs a day) and it has only been very recently that I realized to my embarrassment that this is not a healthy habit. I guess to slay the sugar dragon I need to stop the fruit for the remainder of whole 30 at least. The fact that I am fighting myself over this indicates that fruit is a problem food for me and I would be better to abstain.  But geez, then I'm going to actually have to deal with life's problems instead of stuffing my face. Can't see myself stuffing my face with carrots when I've yelled at the kids. Anyone hear me, got any thoughts?  Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #360 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
KiwiSonya - you recognized a trigger for you both in the fruit and the circumstances. That is a great step!
 A few thoughts:
Not wanting to waste food = you becoming essentially a human garbage can. Do your kids see you always clearing their plates? Is this something you want to be modeling for them (Especially if you have a girl)? I think conversations around food and learning how to listen to your body are super important. Serving less food to start and teaching kids how to listen to their bodies and take more if they need it is a better strategy then wasting food or feeling like they (or you!) have to clean everything off their plates.

Are your fruit sugar cravings emotional, physical or psychological? It sounds like you need to develop some other self-care routines or alternatives. Especially if they are triggered by such things as yelling at the kids. Deep breathing exercises are a great way to find your center any time, anywhere. Also creating space in a situation, sometimes it takes saying "I'm upset about this situation. I need  to take a few minutes out"  Step away and do some deep breathing.

One thing I have found really helpful is I have gotten into a habit of asking myself "why am I eating?" every time I put something in my mouth. It is a couple of second check-in to how I am feeling. If the answer is anything other then "I am physically hungry" I take a minute and some space to examine my feelings and see if food is indeed the solution I am looking for.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #361 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
KiwiSonya ~ Since I'm trying out the keto thing, I've pretty much cut out fruit and I've noticed that my Sugar Dragon has gone down even more.  I think cutting out fruit for the rest of your W30 as a temporary measure is a great idea, and then you can figure out what makes you feel the best once you are done. Consider it an experiment of sorts:) Also, what types of fruit are you eating? I know for me, apples, strawberries, and melon fruits taste incredibly sweet, while raspberries are more tangy to me, and I am less likely for me to eat the whole freaking box. And swick makes some great points, as usual. Just recognizing a trigger is a great step, and shows that you are in-tune with your way of eating and reactions, etc.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Your cheat - I would be interested to know how you feel in the coming days. I'm hitting day 20 tomorrow so I'm just 10 days behind you. Still waffling on whether to go immediately into a second whole30 or whether to take a few days off.

Tuesday I ended up eating a tootsie roll bite, and a mini-brownie at the recruiting event. My social function got postponed, so I didn't end up drinking any alcohol. I started the day prepared to come out of ketosis, so I spent the afternoon treating myself to some higher glycemic index vegetables. Despite the vegetables and the candy, I was still in ketosis at bedtime that night. I was surprised, but pleased.

Yesterday was my mandatory fun, and it was actually pretty enjoyable. I ordered a highly anticipated burger and fries for dinner, and had a few beers. I ended up leaving half the fries because I was full. I've done such things before, but all previous moments of french fry abandonment came from a place of discipline. Yesterday I simply didn't want any more, so I stopped eating. I really enjoyed the lack of drama.

Stopped on the way home to get some Halloween candy for the trick-or-treaters, and I ate 4 fun-sized pieces*. They tasted okay, but not amazing, and I definitely some stomach pain after eating them. I appreciate that data point. I'm not particularly drawn to sugar, so the memory of the pain should be enough to stop any stray cravings for candy.

Moving forward, I envision a 10 day cycle. So, 10 days of clean$ eating, with some sort of IF thrown in. Then a 3-5 days for anything I happen to be craving. Thirty days is good for discipline and resolve, but the cycle is too extended for my psyche. I get angry and depressed by day 20 because my goal has become such a lengthy trudge. It stops being about the food in any kind of way, and becomes about sticking the 30. Probably not the best method for me, so I'm not going to use it.

*had to sample each type that came in the combo pack! Otherwise things would be unbalanced.

$I'm loathed to use that word to describe eating, since it's become a semi-sanctimonious nonsense word. Restricted diet is also troublesome because the public sees the phrase restricted as horrific, and possibly due to an eating disorder. I try to explain that my avoidance is due to allergies, but folks just roll their eyes and tell me that dairy allergies don't exist. Then I get lectures about mental health, which I don't take with very much grace. I find it all very complicated. Does this happen to anyone else?

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: October 29, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
Hi all! 

I am jumping in with you on this crusade.  I did a Whole 30 challenge last spring and felt really good while doing it.  I lost a little weight and generally felt good.   

The thing that I really noticed was that I felt better emotionally.  I had fewer highs and lows and just seemed calmer.  With the darker days lately, the winter blues are creeping in and I really don't want to go down that dark path. 

And I seriously need something to focus on during this season of baked goods and candy!  All of that sugar and bread makes me blue, blue, blue.  Those sugar highs and lows are brutal on my stability. 

Started today well with eggs, spinach and some avocado.  Tasty and filling.  Well, mostly filling.  Close enough. 

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: October 29, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
Welcome ruthiegirl!  Did you officially start today? 

SailorSam - Congrats on the strong finish!  I have to admit that I was so tempted by the chocolate bars that I bought yesterday for Halloween.  But, I didn't give it! The thing that helped me through it was mefla's manifesto on the upcoming season.  Sounds like you had a good learning experience from partaking.  :-)  That's what it's all about.  Learning and adjusting.

Kiwi - Totally laughed when I read your comment about stuffing your face with carrots.  I agree with all the other comments, and your idea to cut out the fruit for the rest of the time.

As for that darned scale!  Get rid of it! I'm also not a huge fan of BMI.  Two examples of why.....about 10 years ago I was around 170 lbs, which is smack in the middle of the overweight category for my BMI. But, I felt FAN.TAS.TIC, and from what others said, I also looked fantastic. I was running about 30 miles a week, lifting weights, and kept active (ALL pre-kids :-)).  I couldn't give a rat's ass what my BMI was at that time.  Another example...I have a female friend who is an MMA fighter.  She's my height, and literally doesn't have an ounce of fat on her.  I would have put her in the 120-130 lbs range.  One day she told me what she weighted.  She was 155!  I was shocked!  I would have never put her at that weight.  And guess what, at 155 she was officially in the overweight category for BMI. Bull!

My point to this long paragraph is get over the numbers, whether it's weight or BMI!  Just so you know, I'm also preaching to myself, because I've been brainwashed for years into caring about this, and it's still a daily struggle for me.  But, I'm getting better. I even helped to type this out, as a reminder to myself.

Reintro update - I've decided to add back in rice this weekend. We'll see how it goes!  :-)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #365 on: October 29, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »
The thing that helped me through it was mefla's manifesto on the upcoming season. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I changed my screen name to "Faraday". There were two new folks who joined, with names amazingly close to "mefla" (a nonsense word I made up, thinking "Surely no one else will get close to that, right?") One of the two is even geographically close to me, which surprised me even more....

I felt a little sad leaving the name behind and I don't mean to cause confusion, but here I am.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Thanks for the sage advice everyone, you're awesome.  Love the idea of asking 'why am I eating?' - I'm sure there are a ton of possible reasons none of which involve hunger. And I know this as I've been like this since I was a teen. I remember asking a friend how she knew how much to eat to keep trim.  Her reply was something like 'I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Coming from a plate clearing household that was the first time I had ever heard someone articulate that and I've spent the past 20 years trying to implement this without success (mainly I think because of the addictive nature of carbs). But here's my chance to sort out these fucked up habits once and for all. I agree it's bad for my kids because I learned it from mine. Will try no fruit, asking why I am eating and a bit of deep breathing and will see how I go. Have also found brushing my teeth when I want food for the wrong reasons to be helpful. Thanks everyone.  Ks

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: October 29, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but my sensation of hunger is much different now that I'm eating this way. I don't get the huge hunger pains and the mental crash of must have food. Instead my stomach starts to feel empty and at some point I realize I probably should eat.

Have you guys found that your experience of hunger has changed?

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but my sensation of hunger is much different now that I'm eating this way. I don't get the huge hunger pains and the mental crash of must have food. Instead my stomach starts to feel empty and at some point I realize I probably should eat.

Absolutely! That is definitely one of things I noticed during the Whole30 (and now). No more getting "hangry." :-)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »

YES! Now, let me confess: doing keto vs Whole30, I used to experience "hanger" to a dramatic degree. But my experience of both hunger and satiety are more consistent, more understandable, more reasonable than before. I follow a kind of "schedule" now that is predictable and my energy levels are much more consistent than before.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »
The thing that helped me through it was mefla's manifesto on the upcoming season. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I changed my screen name to "Faraday". There were two new folks who joined, with names amazingly close to "mefla" (a nonsense word I made up, thinking "Surely no one else will get close to that, right?") One of the two is even geographically close to me, which surprised me even more....

I felt a little sad leaving the name behind and I don't mean to cause confusion, but here I am.

Aww I'm so glad you are back  - whatever the name. I was just thinking this morning that I miss mefla and should send a pestering PM for having abandoned us and leaving us all desolate. Guess I get to cross that off my to do list :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:37:17 PM by swick »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »

Aww I'm so glad you are back  - whatever the name. I was just thinking this morning that I miss mefla and should send a pestering PM for having abandoned us and leaving us all desolate. Guess I get to cross that off my to do list :D

I'd go nutso without the forums. I'm in that phase of working toward FIRE where you've gotten rid of all the bad stuff and you are accumulating good stuff, but it's not happening fast enough. I think Pete calls it the "boredom" phase? I just want to hurry up and get to my number and get the house paid off. So I keep telling myself:

DON'T PANIC AND KETO ON.... :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
I'm happy to report that I survived 2 days of houseguests while remaining Whole30 compliant.  Dinner the first night was 2 chickens done in the oven with seasonings and 2 pans of roasted vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I also made a pot of brown rice for the rest of the family and the company.

The 2nd night, we had burgers on the grill. Since they were premade patties, they had fillers and such, so I thawed and ate a piece of mahi mahi instead. I did 2 pans of fries from a bag in the oven and for myself, I cut up a cooked red potato and fried it in a little clarified butter and added spices.  I also made coleslaw with Whole30 mayo and added salt, pepper and mustard. Everyone loved the coleslaw -- little did they know! haha

Thawing some salmon for dinner and planning for extra fish for the weekend for quick leftovers for me to eat.

I'm really enjoying everyone sharing their successes and challenges. It really helps!

I'm on Day 22 of my first Whole30. I feel like a bit of walking is helping accelerate things -- my clothes are starting to fit (things I haven't been able to wear!)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #373 on: October 30, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
I'm happy to report that I survived 2 days of houseguests while remaining Whole30 compliant.  Dinner the first night was 2 chickens done in the oven with seasonings and 2 pans of roasted vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. I also made a pot of brown rice for the rest of the family and the company.

The 2nd night, we had burgers on the grill. Since they were premade patties, they had fillers and such, so I thawed and ate a piece of mahi mahi instead. I did 2 pans of fries from a bag in the oven and for myself, I cut up a cooked red potato and fried it in a little clarified butter and added spices.  I also made coleslaw with Whole30 mayo and added salt, pepper and mustard. Everyone loved the coleslaw -- little did they know! haha

Thawing some salmon for dinner and planning for extra fish for the weekend for quick leftovers for me to eat

*swoon*

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: October 31, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »
My daughter and I and my 2 little boys got out for a nice, brisk walk at the seaside today. The fresh air and exercise did me good.

Breakfast was 2 eggs with peppers and onions fried up in clarified butter. Lunch was leftover salmon and Greek salad made without feta cheese. Snack just now was an apple dipped
in almond butter. There were a few cups of tea thrown in there too.

I'm sleeping better when I'm cutting myself off decaf tea after 12 noon. Awesome for a life-long insomniac!

This weekend I've been reading Gut by Giuliani Enders. Fascinating and eye-opening. I can't believe how much I've been abusing my poor insides all these years:-(

Feeling so good these days. So is my daughter. It's a lovely thing to do this together. 

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #375 on: October 31, 2015, 11:20:43 PM »
You're doing so great 1967mama and wonderful to have your daughter doing it too. This way of eating is pretty much automatic now.  I don't even look at other foods even when serving them to my boys. Big challenge next weekend when we are going tent camping for two nights. Will use your excellent guidelines to get me through.  Can't even remember what day I'm on now, will have to check on the calendar! I haven't been great at eliminating fruit but have found fruit to be less of a problem with meals -none as snacks as that seems to set me off. Hope you're all doing well. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2015, 01:50:09 AM »

Kiwisonya - Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to the day when it becomes automatic to eat this way. 

In other news, I fit into my daughter's jeans today! (they are too big for her now)

Mind = Blown!!!!!!!!!!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »

Kiwisonya - Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to the day when it becomes automatic to eat this way. 

In other news, I fit into my daughter's jeans today! (they are too big for her now)

Mind = Blown!!!!!!!!!!

Existential crisis for the clothier Not Your Daughter's Jeans in 3, 2, 1, now.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
Completely NOT Whole30, but on Friday I made the Fathead pizza crust (http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/) with aged mozzeralla. Happy to report that it was great and I had no stomach problems, etc. after eating it. I was worried about reintroducing cheese after the yogurt issues, but it went as well as could be! I'm not planning on making the pizza often since I want to try to stick to the W30-style eating most often, but it might be once or twice a month option in my household.:)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween and weekend! Happy November 1st!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
Sailor Sam - That's awesome! Ironically, I have numerous pairs of Not Your Daughter's Jeans that are too big for me! I have 2 pairs that are a little smaller and I'm waiting a few more weeks to try those on.

Am I the only one who is so glad that Halloween has come and gone? I wasn't terribly tempted by the candy but it might have been nice to have a Mars bar and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, or twelve!

For breakfast, my daughter surprised us and made eggs with onion and red bell pepper bits and spices in muffin cups and baked them. They were delicious! We also had a sliced tomato and a leftover sausage patty that I made last night. I felt like I was having a deluxe breakfast at a fancy hotel. So good.

After breakfast, my husband and I went for a 45 minute walk in the rain. I am finding I'm not so out of breath on the hills and can actually carry on a somewhat breathy conversation. Feels awesome!

Lunch was a green smoothie (we have these rarely, maybe once a week - I know they are frowned upon) with loads of lettuce, coconut water, a date and a banana. I made another batch of Whole30 mayo and had a can of tuna with some bits of cut up celery and the mayo ... mmmm!

Sitting with a mug of Raspberry and Pomegranate herbal tea and settling in by the fire to read more of Gut which I mentioned upthread. Fascinating read.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!

(and welcome back Faraday!)

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:28:43 PM by 1967mama »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
Halloween has also made it to NZ although still not especially widespread.  We had fun dressing up in sheets and pretending to be ghosts up and down our street. The treats were mostly marshmallows or cheap made in China sweets that I don't find at all tempting. Do expect to feel a pang of regret next weekend when we toast marshmallows over a campfire though but will take pineapple and give that a whirl in the flames. Had to take myself off to the doctor this morning as my sinuses are terrible and I now have antibiotics, probiotics and more antihistamines to take. I was hoping whole30 would cure my seasonal allergies but it hasn't happened yet and I now have a sinus infection.  Still, I don't feel bad, just having to blow my nose every 2 mins which is a pain. This afternoon I'm taking my youngest son to the pools with some friends.  Not ashamed to be seen in my swimsuit although far from a bikini body. Take care everyone. Ks

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Am I the only one who is so glad that Halloween has come and gone? I wasn't terribly tempted by the candy but it might have been nice to have a Mars bar and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, or twelve!

Made it ok here, no problems. Although I'm eyeing a keto Reese's cup recipe on ruled.me for the wife unit.

I've been taking pictures of the crazy Oreo and other kinds of seasonal displays that are getting stood up in grocery stores and Wal-Mart. Makes me good an mad to see them. Nothing like good 'ol seething anger to reinforce your willpower!

BTW: If anyone's interested, we tried "Honeycrisp" apples and they are remarkable. Also 'effing expensive at nearly $3/lb at Wal-mart, but lordy they are good.

For breakfast, my daughter surprised us and made eggs with onion and red bell pepper bits and spices in muffin cups and baked them. They were delicious! We also had a sliced tomato and a leftover sausage patty that I made last night. I felt like I was having a deluxe breakfast at a fancy hotel. So good.

That sounds like an excellent variation on these:
http://www.ruled.me/jalapeno-popper-egg-cups/
I think I want to try that recipe twice, once with the jalapenos and once with your variation, the onion and red bell pepper bits and spices.  DW and I are looking at doing a crustless quiche too...

After breakfast, my husband and I went for a 45 minute walk in the rain. I am finding I'm not so out of breath on the hills and can actually carry on a somewhat breathy conversation. Feels awesome!

Tell brother (DH) I say "Hey!"

(and welcome back Faraday!)

Glad to be back! It's strange to change my forum name, but I'm happy with it. Not sure why I didn't think of this one to start with.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
Faraday, I think you will like your breakfast poppers more than mine due to the addition of bacon and cheese!

I'm on day 25 of my first Whole30 today. I'm kind of glad my end date falls on a weekend so I won't be quite as busy and can take note of any unusual symptoms as I add back 1 food group. I'm leaning towards adding grains (excluding wheat), but I also can hear dairy products calling my name...hmmm.

I still plan to jump right back into another Whole30 within a day or two. I still have much weight to lose to be healthy and I know I've had great success this first round, even though I haven't stepped on the scale since sometime in week 1 (at that point, I'd lost 4.8 lbs already, well at least by the scales. Probably mostly water weight but exciting nonetheless!)

My sweet little 8 year old boy made me a sliced apple and almond butter for breakfast to surprise me. I couldn't say no, even though I was looking forward to eggs today.

My adult daughter couldn't wait to go to work today to tell the ladies who are pooh-poohing Whole30 that she is wearing jeans she bought in 2012 AND her mom is wearing her old jeans!! YAY!

Lunch will be a salad with tuna and W30 mayo and dinner is a meat spaghetti sauce.  My daughter and I will be having zoodles (zucchini noodles done with a carrot peeler) -- I couldn't believe how delicious they were. I've started the sauce this morning so it will simmer all day in the crockpot. The addition of 1/2 cup of applesauce cuts the acidity of the tomatoes. In the past, I've always added about 1/4 cup of white sugar to a big pot of sauce ... ewwww!

That reminds me, last night I bought a Happy Planet smoothie in a bottle at the grocery store to share with my daughter as a treat (they are compliant). I had some in the car and when I got home, I said to my daughter, "That was too sweet ... said your mom, NEVER!" Wow! I'm not sure I've ever uttered those words!

Have a great day everyone! How was your weekend?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
Liz - Good to know that the mozza pizza crust didn't affect you, there is some hope for me!

KiwiSonya - Sorry you are still having issues with your Seasonal Allergies. Hoping you get back to feeling normal soon! Good job on not being tempted by the Halloween Candy! I'm happy to say that I didn't find it even remotely tempting too!

1967mama - It is so awesome to hear how you and your daughter are doing, and that your family is supporting you! So awesome to have your son make you a nice breakfast. He is picking up good habits by the behaviour you are modeling, keep it up! A great big shout out to your daughter too! Hope she has lots of fun with her co-workers today, who knows, maybe one or two of them will be inspired to join in.

Have a HUGE (4kg) batch of Khalua pork in the crockpot. Have been so busy that meal prep has been sliding and definitely feeling like we need to make sure we are getting more greens in. It has been a bit of a shock to the system going from our Garden and CSA veggies back to the expensive and not nearly as tasty store ones. Been feeling a little uninspired.

We are still on the plan, just trying to decide what we should be introducing next. Planning on a US weekend trip with my mom and sister on the 14th, so need to reintro a couple of things before then, just to see how I'm feeling so I have some kind of benchmark.  Planning to eat mostly on plan, but not going to sweat it if I try something that isn't, as long as it is done with consious intent.

That's really what it all comes down to and I think Whole 30 gives you the space and structure to get into the habit of thinking of life that way.

There are quite a few people on the boards who don't budget at all, they buy whatever they want - they just do it with conscious intent. It is not something I ever thought could work (I love my budget) but now I understand the idea behind it a whole lot better and could see it working at some point in the future.

Hubs actually announced yesterday that he is going to start a "Media Whole 30" Becuase he is tired of wasting time on video games and random internet surfing.  He has noticed, especially with doing the whole 30, that playing games/wasting time doesn't make him feel any better they are the nutritionally void (addictive) junk food of the whole 30 in his life. He doesn't have room for them in his life anymore. Call me shocked. I think it is awesome!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Hubs actually announced yesterday that he is going to start a "Media Whole 30" Becuase he is tired of wasting time on video games and random internet surfing.  He has noticed, especially with doing the whole 30, that playing games/wasting time doesn't make him feel any better they are the nutritionally void (addictive) junk food of the whole 30 in his life. He doesn't have room for them in his life anymore. Call me shocked. I think it is awesome!

I'm having this problem too. But what makes it tough for me is that I'm constantly reading/researching GOOD things: these forums, ebikes, bicycles, finance, keto/Whole30/ruled.me. Even the shop manuals for my car are online and not printed any more.

I think I need to set a time of day after which I shut the computer off and walk away. 8pm, maybe?

swick, has your DH said how he intends to accomplish his "Media Whole 30"?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: November 02, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
KiwiSonya - Great job with Halloween, and staying away from the junk!  I was tempted for about 2 seconds by a York peppermint patty (love mint + chocolate), but the temptation passed really quickly. Crap....I was really hoping for you that your allergies would just disappear with the Whole30.  It could be possible that you need longer?  I'm just thinking about other things like gluten, and how that can take quite a while for it to get out of your system. Wishing you the best and feel better soon!

1967mama - You're almost there!  Whooppp, whoppp!  I was thinking about you the other day, as I put on my jeans and they are HUGE!  I think it's time to retire those jeans.  I'm well into my next size smaller, and even those are getting big. Also, I don't want to bum you out, but I will tell you that my weight lose has slowed WAY down.  I'm pretty close to fully compliant and lost about 4 lbs in October.  I have to admit that I was bummed after weighing my self (even after my 'ignore the numbers' post), since I also have about 50 lbs to lose. But, I got over it quickly, and just reminded myself about good I'm feeling, and how much better my clothes are fitting.  Don't get discouraged if this also happens to you.  :-)

Swick  - YES!  Love your hubby's label of 'Media whole 30' for cutting out the electronic distractions. You have a great way with words, and described it perfectly. I've been having a similar 'fight' with myself to cut the Dish cord. There's so much junk on TV now, but there is just that one or two shows that make me keep it.  But....I just ordered an antenna to see what I get OTA, so I'm taking my first step to also cutting the cord (at least for PAYING for that cord).

Yesterday I had my first brown rice in TWO months!  I also had it again for lunch today. So far I feel a little more bloated, but not too bad.  I'm still trying to determine whether it's bloating, or just being full.  I only had about 1/2 cup of rice with each meal, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't stuffing myself.

Hope everyone has another great week and month of eating well!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #386 on: November 02, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »

I'm having this problem too. But what makes it tough for me is that I'm constantly reading/researching GOOD things: these forums, ebikes, bicycles, finance, keto/Whole30/ruled.me. Even the shop manuals for my car are online and not printed any more.

I think I need to set a time of day after which I shut the computer off and walk away. 8pm, maybe?

swick, has your DH said how he intends to accomplish his "Media Whole 30"?

His idea is evolving and he's trying to figure out the best way to do it. We don't have TV so that is easy.

What it basically comes down to is being very conscious about what he is doing. He's tied to the computer for much of the day at work and also uses the internet for loads of "good" research and such, like you, Faraday. The problem with the "good" research is it can become a time sink and a waste of time - but it is "excusable" because you "are doing something productive" or at least your brain thinks you are and it is easy to believe. This is the SWYPO of the Media whole 30 :)

So it is training yourself and finding that balance and being able to know when you are really, truly doing something productive or you should be doing something else.

To give you an idea, this was the email he sent me at Lunch from work:
"I’ve checked my e-mail once today at 12:05, which is fine. I’ve caught myself once clicking on a non-essential webpage, and checked myself 3 times before clicking anything, but so far so good."

As far as video games, he doesn't want to play them this month. He bundled up his game boy (which he sometimes uses to relax, more often than not it is one more battle/stage/whatever before bed which turns into getting to bed late) and put it in a box in the closet and wrote on the outside of the box: "You get to choose how you spend your time. Do you REALLY want to be wasting it on this?"

He's going to be limiting computer time in the evenings to working on specific projects (he's made a huge list of things he enjoys and wants to get done) or researching specific things he has pre-decided. Again, it's about figuring out how to use the internet as a tool instead of feeding an addiction, loneliness, boredom or some other reason.

This is something he shad said multiple times he would like to do and has never had the follow through, Which is exactly what I (and we) can say about our diet changes. How that we know it is possible and we have this success behind us, I think the results are going to be awesome :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2015, 04:17:23 PM »
Hubs actually announced yesterday that he is going to start a "Media Whole 30" Because he is tired of wasting time on video games and random internet surfing. I think it is awesome!
I'm having this problem too. swick, has your DH said how he intends to accomplish his "Media Whole 30"?

His idea is evolving and he's trying to figure out the best way to do it. We don't have TV so that is easy.

I'm going to try setting a "shutdown by" time of 9pm. I'll try it the rest of this week, to see how it works out.

swick, how about I start a new thread on this topic rather than polluting the Whole30 thread - if I do, will you contribute with the results DH gets? I'm truly interested in this topic, as I'm starting to lose too much real-world time in the online world...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »
Wins for Today

*Feeling like a smaller person
*Moving 2 places smaller on my belt
*Trying to eat my meals and wait for hunger instead of snacking incessantly
*Moving around more in my day at home
*Cleaning up and decluttering
*Keeping my homeschooled kids on track
*Preparing a crockpot full of spaghetti sauce with ground beef and a ton of veggies

Anyone else want to share?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
*didn't eat the Halloween candy that was strewn all over the office.  Not even one little piece.
*No cheese with my beans and chile verde for dinner.  Ate it over Romaine instead of on tortillas
*went for a walk with DH at lunch (we work in adjacent buildings)
*making up some food to bring along as I'll be at a hotel tomorrow night (last hotel stay of the year, I hope!)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2015, 02:01:09 AM »
- let myself be grumpy and brushed my teeth to head off unnecessary emotional eating.
- shopped with a list for lots of good food to take camping (need to prep and cook it over the next few days.
-resisted my favorite chocolate biscuits offered at a training course.
- after learning that choking is a highly common and preventable way to die at my first aid course I made a promise to myself to end all eating on the run.
Doing great everyone!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »
Love this idea!

WINS
*Upped my water intake
*Continued to eat mostly W30 after finishing my thirty days
*Doing well with the slow roll introduction -- got over my fears of reintro'ing foods
*Fit into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear in awhile!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #392 on: November 03, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
Love the idea of sharing Wins!

- Made a ginger beef sauce without the usual 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and soy sauce in it. It was awesome!
 - In the process of establishing boundaires with my clients. Said yes to a conference call after hours and then caught myself and said no as I would be giving up my time to walk.
 - Completely out of pants that fit me.
 - Found a hoodie at the thrift from a  local clothing company that only makes sporty sizes. Tried on their largest hoodie a couple of months ago at their store and couldn't do it up. Bought one exactly like the one I tried on (brand new!) for 12.00 instead of the 149.00 reg price.
 - Have been really conscious of water intake (something I have never been good at)

How is everyone else doing?!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: November 03, 2015, 07:32:43 PM »
For the first time, I was feeling a teeny tiny bit bored with my eating.  While I was out my daughter made us a compliant raspberry sorbet even though I hadn't mentioned this to her!!! Mostly, I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself while my husband is away on business:-( Usually I would treat myself to candy, bake somehing yummy, drink hot chocolate. Yadda Yadda Yadda 

Swick - What a score on the hoodie! I'm looking forward to being able to buy normal sizes at stores.  It's hard to find plus sized stuff at thrift stores.

Liz - You've inspired me to not be afraid of the end of my Whole 30 this coming Saturday!
Maybe I should give myself a week off instead of a day and reintroduce some foods.

Kiwisonya - Made me laugh when you brushed your teeth when you were grumpy! Great strategy!

Mom22boys - Thank you SOOOOO much for openly sharing your weight loss story with me. I don't want to be discouraged by those darn scales when I've had so much success here these last 25 days.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: November 03, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Hmmm, healthy food is completely ineffective as a distraction and cheer up mechanism.  Have just stuffed slow cooked lamb and mashed potatoes followed by a small monkey bowl and a couple of dates in quick succession. Result very uncomfortable tummy and not even slightly cheered up. Crap! It's quite funny when you look at the dilemma on paper -of  course food shouldn't be cheering me up but in the past in really honestly has. Need some new strategies otherwise the weight loss will grind to a halt.  Anyone else care to share their strategies for cheering up that don't involve chocolates or cornflakes (yeah, weird I know). I'm so impressed with all of you. I'm impressed that I haven't given up yet but obviously still some work to do. Off to brush those teeth...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:34 PM »
Kiwi - I was staring down the cereal in the pantry tonight, so you're not the only one! You are so, so right -- I was just saying to my adult daughter tonight (who is doing Whole30 with me and is thrilled with her results, by the way) that its really so clear to me that emotional eating has been my medicine. Tonight when I was driving the kids to a weekly church event, I was thinking how most weeks, I "treat" myself by shopping a little at the dollar store, then buying myself some candy and scarfing it down before I pick up the kids ... and making sure I dispose of the evidence. Ugh!

It has never been so clear to me as it was today. I know that I'm an emotional eater...have for years. But today, TODAY I felt it and pushed past it for the Very. First. Time.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:18:03 AM by 1967mama »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
Wow, that's awesome 1967mama. Guess there is hope for me too. I can't even remember when I started using food like this, I must have been younger than teens. But I can now recognise that food isn't the solution as it just makes me feel crap and ultimate unhappy because I look and feel bad in my own skin. What's the worse that can happen if I actually just let myself feel the emotions instead of squashing. Let's find out. Certainly can't be any worse than carrying a 10kg weight around with me wherever I go. It's do great to hear you guys working as a mother-daughter team. That is special!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:44 AM »
I have been lurking on this thread for awhile since I will be doing an elimination diet come end of December (think stricter Whole 30) but wanted to add for all the Americans on this thread having issues with locating bacon without weird stuff in it, look for pork belly. American bacon is cured pork belly so if you buy pork belly instead, no chemicals but all the flavor.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2015, 07:46:21 AM »
***Emotional eating***

Is such a tough one. Whole 30 tends to bring into focus problems you didn't know you had or weren't able to acknowledge.

The question I had to ask myself, and put forth to you is "why do you feel like you need to deal with your emotions by eating?" It is an escape, a way to suppress or hide from feeling. It is a substitution which gives you those fleeting "feel good" hits which always lead to a crash and feeling worse - at the end of the day whatever is behind it is still there.

Why do you have to hide? Why can't you create the space and honor yourself (physically, mentally, emotionally) to allow yourself to feel and process emotions as they come up? (I'm a life long suppressor, I know it is not easy) Are you better off in your interactions and in your relationships with your SO, family and friends if you plaster on a smile, pretend everything is peachy keen and then dive into the chocolate or get that sugar hit when no one is looking so you can put up the facade just a little bit longer?

Here are a couple of things I have found makes a difference for me:

- Acknowledge emotions as they come up. There are no "bad" emotions. Honor your feelings whatever they are. If you are angry, sad, happy...whatever you are feeling - be okay with it. Don't be afraid to tell other people. How many times has your feeling been amplified or you have gotten into an argument because someone "doesn't understand you" or "can't see that you're upset" or they guess wrong and make an assumption...when you are doing your best to "hide" your emotions in the first place. 

Just because you share how you are feeling DOES NOT put it on the other person to "fix" Using "I" Statements is very helpful. "I'm feeling a little overwhelmed/anxious/angry/whatever right now. I don't need you to fix it, I just have to feel through it."

- Substitute behaviors. Emotional eating can be triggered by people/places/events. Figure out what your triggers are and figure out an alternative action. You can avoid some triggers, but some are easier to transmute...for example, 1967 mama, your trigger is going to drop off your kids (and maybe getting a little "me" time?) Could you instead of going to the dollar store, go to a local park for a quick walk, find a nice place to read something that inspires you or take a portable passion project with you that you never have time to do at home?

- One Small Action- If it is something specific that is bothering you, what is one small action you can take right now on it instead of giving into emotional eating?  (Step one for me is usually stopping to figure out what emotions are showing up) Taking any positive progress should be enough to get you through - if it is not - take another and another - pretty soon you will have your problem solved or an action plan in place to deal with it. Don't give away your power to make change by turning to food instead.

The big thing for me that I keep coming back to is just living consciously. Asking myself if I am really hungry and why am I eating.

Tonight we are going to be reintroducing Basmati Rice. We haven't really tried to reintroduce anything except milk which was...oh I guess just about a month ago? How time flies! We are going to speed up our re-intro just so we can get a baseline before the holidays. Have some big events we have to go to so knowing which foods will cause us the least amount of problems will be handy.

How is everyone else doing? Who has some Wins to Share?

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
1967mama ~ I'm so excited for you that you're almost done with your Whole30! And definitely don't be scared about reintroducing stuff like I was at the beginning LOL -- just like the Whole30, it's for YOU -- and the nice thing about it is that you can tailor it to your specifications.  I still haven't reintroduced grains or gluten. But I'm REALLY happy that I tried aged cheese and know that I can tolerate it. I'm actually eating low carb right now while still mostly incorporating Whole30 rules, and I am really enjoying it. I feel great. This weekend I will be in Asheville/Saluda area (Faraday, is that your part of NC?), so will save any new reintros for next weekend.