Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427061 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #300 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
Horsepoor - Thanks for the support - how did your trip go? What foods did you take that were compliant? My trip is this weekend.

I brought canned fish - both tuna and kippered herring, little packs of guacamole (figured they were less damage prone than actual avocados), a couple veggies - bell pepper, carrots and broccoli all held up well - and some fruit.  Brought tomatoes but forgot about them and they got squished. I had Qwest bars since they're very low carb, but probably not Whole30 compliant.  Also had Kind Bars, but raw nuts could sub for those.  If I'd known was going to have refrigeration (different hotel each night for 3 nights), I would have brought hard boiled eggs.  Oh, I also had a baked acorn squash.  Plain yogurt for breakfast but obviously that's not compliant.  So yeah, not exactly Whole30, but also not the worst while traveling.  I also had some beef jerky and Hail Merry macaroons.  Might bring coconut butter for caloric emergencies if doing a real W30. 

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:21 PM »
Hi 1967mama, don't forget to look for opportunities to eat compliant food if available.  If doing hotel breakfast you might find fruit or scrambled eggs etc. I found that if I ate any compliant food I happened upon then I could fill in around the edges with my supplies. I second tinned fish, hard boiled egg (which would probably be alright for a day or two without refrigerator), carrots, capsicum. Have a fun weekend!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:24 AM »
1967mama -- it looks like there are a few recipes out there but I used is this recipe
and this one for the sauce.

Let us know how your trip goes!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:32:05 AM by Liz »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
Great to hear how everyone is doing and has been able to help each other. Haven't had a chance to pop in the last couple of days.

I think many people quit or run into a problem around day 10 or so because your feeling super good at first and then you crash and feel like shit and it lasts for a few days at it is right around then that you assume it isn't working/not worth it. I probably would have given up if I hadn't of read the book and timeline and knew to expect it. IT DOES GET BETTER!!

We are on Day 45 or so of the process. I think after you do it for a while it just becomes routine so you don't keep track of the days. I feel like my body has created a new baseline which I am really liking and is fitting really well with my schedule.

Sleep: In bed by about 10 and up at 5:30 - I'm getting solid, deep sleep, very little waking up, very little mental chatter. I have been a life-long insomniac so this is HUGE.

I make Hubs and I breakfast and I'm usually working by about 7:00. Finish up between 12-1 and spend the afternoon making supper and taking the pup for a walk down to the river. I have been noticing it is getting much easier, starting to jog a little bit of the way and getting out there consistently. This is again a pretty big deal for me since usually I don't have the energy to contemplate even going for a walk by the time afternoon rolls around. I have also pulled out and started using my flow wand, which always makes me feel awesome and am figuring out how to get my mini-tramp set up without bringing down our book shelves :)

Also, only relevant to the ladies, (or those with significant others who have issues) but my hormones are balancing themselves out and this is the second month in row I have not had ANY period cramps. For me this is MAJOR as they are usually so bad I lose two days each cycle at least curled up in a ball of pain and have been this way for just about 20 years.

Hubs got super excited because he was able to use a brand new hole on his belt loop :D He has also had the energy in the evenings to do some of his hobbies. At my insistence (I might of trained him TOO GOOD in the ways of the mustache) He bought some paint and has been painting the mini's that have come with several of our games. He is happier than he has been in ages. The early morning/work time has always been hard on him, but he has actually been waking up easier and had the "glow" and energy from being able to paint the night before - his words :) Me thinks he is a bit of an artist trapped in an Engineering job.

We have reintroduced buckwheat and chia seeds thus far. Last night we had some organic pork sausages not sure if they had gluten in them or not, or just really high level of Salt? but my gut was HATING me and very vocal. This was the only different thing we ate. ...hmmm I just had a thought...they feed their pigs the spent organic grains from our local brewery...I wonder if any of that gluten would still be around? We haven't tested any of the other grains or gluten yet.

Hubs had a really good, long! convo with his mom last night, ahead of our family dinner on Sunday. Talked about the process and how he is feeling and the results he is seeing. He was also very clear that we don't expect anyone to accommodate us, we will just choose which foods we want to eat and how much. Hoping this will make a difference and be remembered!

Hope you all have an awesome, health-filled day!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
Hi All! I've MIA for a while too. It's pretty exciting to have some new people joining us too!  Welcome horsepoor! (and I think I'm missing someone else too :-)).

This weekend I took the plunge and added more exercise.  I've been walking about 2-3 times a week, but now added the 21 day fix exercise videos, which I really like.  They are only 30 minutes, which is very doable. My legs hurt SOOOOO bad on Monday. Walking up and down the stairs at work, ouchhhh! And don't get me started on trying to sit down on the toilet!  (sorry if TMI :-))

This weekend I also made the tuna cakes from NomNomPaleo.  They are so YUMMY!  They are the perfect blend of sweet, hot, citrus, fish. Even my boys LOVED them. Luckily I made a double batch, so I had a few meals from them.

Thanks also to SailorSam for the link to the scale article.  I haven't thrown my scale out yet, but I'm pretty close. I realized about 4 months ago that that scale was only full of lies, and just made me feel bad.

1967mama - Good luck with your trip!  You have all the tools (and food) to crush this!

Oh, almost forgot that yesterday was my first step into reintro, kinda unplanned.  Yesterday was lunch for a coworker that is leaving. It was at an Italian restaurant. I was able to limit my reintro to only dairy, at least I think it was only dairy (cheese). Then last night I had a little cheddar cheese with supper. I could tell I was more bloated after eating it, and still this morning. But, I'm back to fully compliant today, and that feeling is gone already. I didn't sleep super hard last night too, so that may also be a small side affect from the dairy. Nothing else though...no stomach aches or anything else.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Welcome back Swick and Mum22boys. Was a bit quiet around here earlier this week but great to have you back. Swick, it's awesome to here about your changes -2 extra days a month more to your life from now on - yippee! Glad hubby has come out of the dark phases and feeling good. And getting into more exercise is great for both of you.
I have been enviously reading about your good sleeps -which I haven't had for about 6 years -until last night. Slept like a log from 10.30-7. It was like I was unconscious.  Feel great for it. And huge for you Swick if you have had insomnia.  My kids waking had made me a light sleeper but hopefully no more! Day 9 for me. I have a bit of a cold but nothing major. Chicken broth has been in the slow cooker for 12 hours so that should help. This way of eating is becoming second nature so it feels more natural and  doesn't consume my day as it did earlier. Have a happy and healthy day everyone!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Kiwisonya - I'm hoping that jumping back into a second Whole30 is as easy as the first. I'm glad to see you've made it this far and have the same attitude that I have right now, which is "There's NO WAY I'm starting again!" I'm afraid to eat at the hotel restaurant, though! What about if they put butter on the pan to cook the eggs? Fruit, I can see. Or like if I order a steak or chicken, will it have butter, non-compliant seasonings. aaaaahhhhh!

Swick - Nice to see you again! Are you out enjoying this fabulous BC weather? Love the sun! I am so excited to hear about your sleeps! I, too, and a lifelong insomniac. Last night I was up until around 2:30am -- not fun when I have a whole passel of kids to be a mama to today :-/ However, I think that I am coping ok today because of the way I'm eating. I'm tired but I don't have that brain fog anymore. I can't wait to have these  heavy sleeps that everyone is talking about! haha! I have had one or two since I started. I'm going to start laying off the caffeinated tea earlier in the day to see if that helps (yesterday was 4pm). I'm also experiencing hormonal changes and found this month to be way lighter and more manageable. Usually day 2 is rather out of control (Sorry, TMI). I love how these body changes keep surprising me. Last night, I almost thought my wedding rings were feeling a tiny bit loose???

Mom22boys - Thanks for mentioning that recipe - I have the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook out of the library right now and will take a gander!

Liz - I LOVE the looks of that recipe. I haven't made pork yet during my Whole30 so will enjoy that next week sometime. I can't wait to report back on my trip, actually! I'm loving that we have this little gang here to share our successes and slipups with! I will have plenty of time on my own while on the trip, reading and relaxing, while my husband is at meetings. Its a business trip but I get to tag along. I'm sure I will be able to post up to the minute reports ;-) haha

Botanist - I was wondering, how did you feel on your week off of Whole30? I can't decide how long to take off between my first and 2nd Whole30. I have over 70 lbs to get back to a healthy weight, so I need to do another two, or three, I'm guessing.

Sailor Sam - I haven't done a lot of reading about ketosis -- in a nutshell, would it be basically Whole30 without the fruit? I really should read up on this. Might help me shed the fat I have accumulated over the years. Its weird, because I already feel more "trim" even though, I'm obviously not after just 15 days. I'm tall (5'11') so I think I carry the weight all over more, and just look tall and big rather than tall and fat. Ha! Staying off the scale. I've only weighed once, and that was at the end of week one (with 2 restarts) -- I had lost 4.8 lbs. That was all I needed to see.

Has anyone heard of the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan? The Testimonials section is amazing! They seem to be ok with full some dairy like greek yogurt/cottage cheese/cheddar cheese and whole grains like rice and oats in addition to all of the Whole30 compliant foods.  If you are eating bread, you have to do it homemade as a sourdough. They are all about the blood sugar, keeping you balanced throughout the day. They allow stevia and 70% or higher chocolate. I have a friend who has lost 45 lb on it and feels terrific. I was thinking about this for after my 2nd or 3rd Whole30 as a way to continue my health and weight loss journey. I'd appreciate any feedback on this program from those more experienced than myself. I need a way to eat for life :-)

ETA more about Trim Healthy Mama
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:49:53 PM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
Swick - Nice to see you again! Are you out enjoying this fabulous BC weather?

Ermmm...totally busted :D This is my first October being back in "southern" BC so the fact that it isn't bitingly cold and snowing, well, I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it. My tomaotes are still growing!

The last couple of days have been a nutty explosion of awesome conversations, synchronicities and business development for me. Besides the Whole 30 I have been doing some more inner work and outward business development. All the pieces are fitting neatly into place and it seems the last couple of days I can't keep up!

One of the most Awesome things about the whole 30 is you really notice that 30 days can change your life and set a new foundation.

1967mama  and KiwiSonya- for sleep, laying off the caffeine really helps. I use to be a quad shot affagato for breakfast kinda gal (I use to manage a coffee shop) now it's one mug of tea in the morning, I went into Whole 30 drinking coffee every morning, but about day 8 or so I just kinda lost interest. I still enjoy the taste but just didn't seem to have any desire to drink it. And honestly, I think if I had much more caffeine these days I would be crazy jittery, I seem to have enough natural energy as it is, Yay!

Also, and this is a HARD one to do ( I am a reformed night owl) but going to bed before 10:00 really helps there have been quite a bit of studies ont he quality of sleep you get and the sleep from the 10-12 range is the most restorative. You can also play around with tracking your sleep cycles. We go through several full cycles each night, if you happen to have it timed so your alarm goes off when you are in the middle of the deepest part of the cycle you will wake up groggy and not feeling rested.

For hormone balancing, I would suggest trying inhailing Vitex Essential Oil. It is awesome stuff! It is self-regulating if you need it the smell will appeal to you, if you don't it won't. BONUS: across the board every single male I have asked to smell it is very adverse to it. Handy if you want to keep the teenage boys away ;) Also handy for cramps and menstrual pain. (Umm not a trained Doctor, but am in the process of getting my Registered Aromatherapist designation)

Liz - Hoisin Sauce - WHO HOO! I was just saying to hubs I need to find a good recipe for it, we have missed using it!

Mom22boys - I might have to try the nom-nom fishcakes. You make them sound so good! I haven't been eating much fish because it is expensive here (and I don't want to go the farmed route) and I've been kinda avoiding the tuna as we are still undecided about kidlets, not sure if I want the mercury. But I really, really miss it!

Oh thoughts on the eating plan 1967mama - I think the point of the whole 30 is to figure out a way of eating that works for you! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with their plan, if it works for people, awesome! But you are going though this process - you may as well see what works exactly for you and once you do, take what applies from the various sources :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
Swick, Interesting that you found around Day 8 that you didn't desire coffee/tea anymore. As I posted earlier, I was a die hard tea addict. I drank a lot yesterday (A LOT!) and I think I paid for it last night. I have stopped today already (4pm) except for herbal. I really don't have the desire like I used to. I was stressed yesterday so I think that's what happened with the excessive drinking.

I've never heard of Vitex Essential Oil so I'm going to do some research on that -- how interesting! I love my aromatherapy diffuser but mostly I just use blends from Sage or Choices.

I picked and enjoyed 3 tomatoes from my plant yesterday. I love love love this weather!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2015, 09:50:26 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan? The Testimonials section is amazing! They seem to be ok with full some dairy like greek yogurt/cottage cheese/cheddar cheese and whole grains like rice and oats in addition to all of the Whole30 compliant foods.  If you are eating bread, you have to do it homemade as a sourdough. They are all about the blood sugar, keeping you balanced throughout the day. They allow stevia and 70% or higher chocolate. I have a friend who has lost 45 lb on it and feels terrific. I was thinking about this for after my 2nd or 3rd Whole30 as a way to continue my health and weight loss journey. I'd appreciate any feedback on this program from those more experienced than myself. I need a way to eat for life :-)

ETA more about Trim Healthy Mama

Haven't heard about this one, but thought I'd mention Perfect Health Diet and Tim Feriss' 4-Hour Body.  One has rice, one has beans. ;)  Both are are a little more Mustachian than W30.  When I did W30 last January, I got a nasty cold towards the end, ended up at Chipotle since I didn't have the energy to cook and my body was screaming at me for the white rice.  I relented, and that serving of white rice made me feel SOOO much better.  Incidentally, white rice is the made addition to regular paleo advocated by the PHDiet.  We eat it in our house about once a week; it's a nice cheap ingredient and seems to agree with me.  Same with black beans and lentils.  I found that kidney beans were a no-no after W30. 

Kiwisonya - I'm glad you got the advice on the banana. I ate one almost every day on W30.  Seems to be a good starch and didn't drive me towards other sugar cravings.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2015, 12:35:10 AM »
Hi all, still trying to tweak meal sizes and times to avoid snacking. Breakfast at 7am lasts until lunch at 12 (which in itself is a minor miracle as I used to eat on a 2 hr schedule when high carb), then I can survive until kids dinner at 5-5.30 but can't last until hubby eats at 7. Habit has been to have supper but that is a dangerous place where on Whole30 dates have come to be my sugar crutch - not just one either. I'm trying to eat more at dinner to help me last until bedtime but then I feel uncomfortably full which probably isn't the best.   Any ideas? I'd love to come out of this experience having kicked both my sugar cravings and my snacking habits.
On the caffeine front I have kicked black tea to the curb as I don't like it without milk. Have been enjoying a strong coffee with coconut for breakfast and have been having a nice herbal at bedtime. Probably an improvement from 5-7 cups of white tea scattered throughout the day!
Take care everyone. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »
Sailor Sam - Would you mind posting one or two of your favorite keto sites? I'd like to do some reading but don't know where to begin. Also, if a person were to eat a paleo diet post-Whole30, where would be the best place to read up on that, if you happen to know.

Kiwisonya - Do mean you eat a lot of dates? I bought myself a box of Medjool dates and have enjoyed one a day for most of my Whole30. I, too, find it to be miraculous that I can make it from breakfast to lunch without eating anything else! haha! But just today, I was wondering if there is anything I can eat besides egggggggggggs! ugh! I'm having trouble facing eggs in the morning, and in fact today, I had to have an apple and almond butter. I just couldn't face eggs after a brutal night of very little sleep. I was craving a nice warm bowl of oatmeal <sigh>. Maybe I should make oatmeal my first trial food in my re-introduction phase??

Someone at my daughter's workplace asked if she'd lost weight .. she's pretty happy about that! I'm waiting for that day, when someone who doesn't know I'm on a plan notices that I look like I've lost weight!

When I'm away this coming weekend, I'm planning on doing a lot of reading and some walking. I don't normally have this kind of time to myself (husband in meetings, kids and teens at home with my adult daughter) so I can't believe I will just get to do whatever I want! yay!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »
I've tried to be careful about the dates - one a day at first but on my carb flu day I got through 3 in a row. Hardly a packet of choc biscuits but probably not great. I hear you about getting sick of eggs for breakfast.  I've been alternating eggs and dinner type meals and have found that to work well so far. Yay for your trip - I know how scarce 'me' time can be when you're a mum, so enjoy every minute.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
1967mama ~ That sounds like the best kind of business trip;) Definitely come to this thread if you get bored! I have not heard of the plan you mentioned, but I am about to look at the link you posted. I have been enjoying researching different ways of eating. As much as I love the W30, I know being strict, 100% compliant with the rules is not a forever thing for me.

I've actually never eaten a date plain -- only used them in recipes or for making almond milk. They do have a delicious smell to them. I'm scared I would eat the whole box LOL.

swick ~ Let me know if you try that hoisin sauce! It calls for 3-4 dates, but I'm going try it with less next time.  I like it even better than the Sunshine Sauce in Well Fed.:)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:34:00 AM by Liz »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
Sailor Sam - Would you mind posting one or two of your favorite keto sites? I'd like to do some reading but don't know where to begin. Also, if a person were to eat a paleo diet post-Whole30, where would be the best place to read up on that, if you happen to know.

Oh sure. The top sites I use are reddit.com/r/keto, ruled.me, and Marks Daily Apple. MDA isn't specifically keto, but there are many paleo folks to decided to go into ketosis. The forum is particularly helpful.

If you do decided to try nutritional ketosis, I highly suggest reading one of Gary Taubes' books. Knowing the scientific background reduces a lot of panic, angst, and doubt. Why We Get Fat, and What to do About It has a good scientific review for people with less science background, and Good Calories, Bad Calories has much denser science review people who understand the scientific process.

It's also very easy to make Whole30 ketogenic. Take the approved eating list, and cross out potatoes, squash, and fruit. Once you do that, you're down to meat, and leafy greens. Unless you can eat 2 heads of cabbage in one sitting, you're gonna be in ketosis. Sadly, a lot of keto recipes rely on huge portions of dairy, and use the replacement method, instead of doing without (e.g. stevia, instead of no sweetener). You end up with a lot of weird non-food ingredients. I had a lot more luck searching whole30 recipes, and avoiding the potatoes.

Good luck. Start with the FAQ on r/keto!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: October 23, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
KiwiSonya - We too found we were pretty much fine for breakfast and lunch, but for some reason eating enough at dinner has been a struggle - more for Hubs. What has been working for him is eating earlier round 5:30-6 eating as much as needed to feel satisfied and then IF he feels the physical hunger before bed he will have an apple or banana or something - We have both gotten better at realizing which hunger signals our body is giving us as if it is the right ones, we go with it, if that means having a snack throughout the day or before bed, so be it.

Dates are actually pretty healthy for you *but yes, high in natural sugars*  The main reason to stay away from them if they are becoming a substitute or stand-in to feed your sugar dragon. It is not fun but if you can break that bond life will be so much easier! Remember "Sugar Dragon" is a nice PC way of saying addiction - mental - emotional - psychological - physiological addiction.

Sipping some licorice root tea, or chewing on a root if you can find it, helps. So does peppermint, but you might not want to have it before bed.

Liz - I will totally let you know! Hoping to get to it this week! Have to admit I've been struggling with the cooking part, been so busy and just had this strong desire the last few days to keep everything as simple as possible.

1967mama - I am so, so, so excited for you for your trip. I hope it is relaxing and rejuvenating and you get to do something just for you that feeds your soul and creativity too! You deserve it!

Eggs and breakfasts This was, by far our biggest struggle. Hubby doesn't like eggs. He will tolerate them, but breakfasts have always been a challenge. It is also challenging to find a compliant whole 30 breakfast food that is not eggs that is fast and I can make in 10 minutes while Hubs is in the shower at 5:45 in the morning.

What we did:

Monkey Bowls - chopped up Banana, toasted coconut, a few raisins a drizzle of almond butter and a splash of coconut milk.

Eggs - we figured out how he liked them the most and discovered he likes Duck eggs better than chicken eggs (I know not an option for most)

Crepes - I know this is a SWYPO food for many people. For us, it isn't and totally saved my sanity (and kept Hubby on the program) We made them out of Chestnut flour, coconut milk and eggs. I would make a batch on Sunday that we stuck in the fridge and reheated in the toaster oven throughout the weekday mornings. I just had to make or reheat a quick filling - fruit sauce thickened with a bit of arrowroot, apples sauteed in coconut oil with some cinnamon, sauteed peaches and toasted pecans... or chopped banana with some almond butter. Then we topped with a bit of coconut milk solids  from the fridge. They are very filling and set Hubs up for a good day.

Since finishing the "official" whole 30 we have made them with Buckwheat flour. It is MUCH cheaper and Hubs said they are as good or better.

Smoothie - Yes I gave in twice on super hectic mornings and made hubs a smoothie - frozen Banana, coconut milk, water, chia seeds, hemp hearts and bee pollen. I get why they don't want you to do it, especially if you are use to protein shakes and commercial smoothies, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thinking in terms of "meal 1" Meal 2" Meal 3" instead of Breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be very useful as well. Makes it easier to think about using Dinner leftovers for breakfasts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:16:15 AM by swick »

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
I've been a MarksDailyApple reader for a couple years now but I haven't been able to stay eating healthy long term. I'll do good for a while and fall off over and over. I started out at about 240. It seems the pattern is lose 10, fall off and gain 5, lose 10, fall off and gain 5. I've just gained my 5 and am at 205 (I made it under 200) and am ready to start eating right again(as soon as that damn pack or oreo's is gone from my sight! lol). I'm doing a "no screen November" (no tv or internet for a month) so I won't be here updating but just wanted to pop in and say I'm with you.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: October 23, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
Botanist - I was wondering, how did you feel on your week off of Whole30? I can't decide how long to take off between my first and 2nd Whole30. I have over 70 lbs to get back to a healthy weight, so I need to do another two, or three, I'm guessing.

Not all that great. I went back to eating whatever I wanted as long as it was not a known problem, so no wheat, basically. I didn't feel awful, but I didn't feel great either. I had trouble falling asleep, woke up with my stomach twisting in the mornings, bloated a bit, had a little joint pain, felt a little brain foggy after some foods, and had mild to moderate digestive issues. Also my leg cramps started to come back. I hadn't even noticed that they had been gone. None of these were ground shattering symptoms, but cumulatively their return was pretty noticeable.

I think two or three days would have been plenty of time off between W30's to figure out that I didn't want or need to eat that way, and a week was more then I needed. After this whole 30 I will probably do a more controlled reentro of a couple of foods and try to pinpoint what it was that caused the above symptoms. I suspect that tragically it was mostly the dairy, considering that was most of what I added back.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
Welcome Tallen, we are trying to make this thread a long stayer so we'll be here when you're ready.
Beautiful spring day here in New Zealand and I am kid free so have been in a frenzy of decluttering and cleaning. There's something about spring that encourages fresh starts. Excited to have my homegrown lettuce and herbs as part of my lunch.
Last night around 9.30 when hubby suggested supper and assembled a small plate with one date and some olives, pickles etc I started having some but realised I was not at all hungry - despite having dinner at 5.30. It is definitely a family habit rather than a need. Tonight I will take my herbal tea to bed with my book instead. Aiming for a date free day because you're right Swick, this is just feeding my sugar addiction.
Sorry your reintroduction was a bit shit, Botanist. That's exactly how I felt when I fell of the wagon. Not keen to go back there.
Hoping I am burning the flab as the metallic taste is back in a small way a couple of hours after eating until I eat again. Have tonnes of energy so am using that to spring clean.
Hope all is well with you. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »
I had a challenge today, but it didn't hit till late afternoon/dinnertime. I had eggs and steamed spinach today which tasted oddly delicious after my breakup with eggs yesterday (apple and almond butter). Lunch was a big salad with a whole head of romaine (a small one), handful of carrots, snow peas (or whatever they're called - the kind that is compliant), 1/2 a bell pepper, a stalk of celery and a chicken breast, topped with EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

I ended up going out mid/late afternoon in an unplanned errand excursion with my husband. While out, I went for a walk with a good hill, hauling 2 bags of library books. I kind of missed a healthy protein/carb snack mid afternoon and ended up putting back a fruit bar, a lara bar and a fruit juice. When I got home, I had a bowl of grapes to stave off the hunger and control my shakes. I was making salmon for dinner but had to heat the oven, prep the fish and pan, and then wait 15 minutes for it to cook.  I felt terrible all evening and twice had a headache. I drank lots of water and had my salmon and butternut squash with clarified butter.

I feel better now (11:45pm) but feel like I learned a lot from this incident. I am not usually a scheduled eater, but a grazer (hence my delight with the Jim Gaffigan quote, "I haven't been hungry in twelve years!" So that's how I missed a proper Whole 30 snack in the afternoon. I don't want to make that mistake twice!

Sailor Sam - Thanks for posting the links and making it super easy for me to look them up! I'm saving them for my weekend of reading:-) I've now ordered both the Taubes books from my public library.

Botanist - Sorry you felt so crummy after a week of post-Whole30 eating. That's what I was afraid of. I think one day (or maybe 2) might be all I need. I'm really craving grains so I may try a day with oatmeal, rice and quinoa (keeping wheat in a category of its own like I just read on the reintroduction phase in my Whole30 book).

Swick - I like the sound of your Monkey Bowls! We read about Monkey Salad so have been doing the bananas, nuts and coconut thing, but yours are enhanced with lots of yummy goodness! Can we just use ordinary unsweetened grocery store coconut or does it have to be fancy flakes from the health food store. They're so darned expensive!

Liz - At some health food stores and grocery stores, they sell smaller boxes of Medjool dates. They're nothing like baking dates. Its like comparing M and M's and Belgian Chocolate ;-)

Tallen - Thanks for popping by! Wishing you well on your screen free November ... that could be harder than the Whole30! Come back and join us in December .. I have found our little community within a community INCREDIBLY supportive and helpful! Like Kiwisonya said, we are trying to keep this thread around so do share your successes and trials so we can all continue to learn from each other.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
I am totally interested in doing a "clean eating/paleo/Whole30" version of keto! I like the idea of keto, but I don't know about eating a lot of cheese. I'm okay with butter though and maybe a little heavy whipping cream {haven't reintroduced it yet though}. Thank you for the book recs, Sailor Sam! I've been poking around the keto subreddits. I've been testing out the waters by making breakfast and lunch keto-type meals. I can definitely tell when I am in ketosis because I get that metallic taste in my mouth!

1967mama ~ I know nothing about dates! These are the ones I purchased, in the yellow box.- Are these baking dates? I'm probably not going to end up using all of them, especially if I dabble in keto.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:59:10 AM by Liz »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »

Swick - I like the sound of your Monkey Bowls! We read about Monkey Salad so have been doing the bananas, nuts and coconut thing, but yours are enhanced with lots of yummy goodness! Can we just use ordinary unsweetened grocery store coconut or does it have to be fancy flakes from the health food store. They're so darned expensive!

You can use any type of coconut you like! We find the flakes give the bowls much-needed texture and also bulk.  We get the  ginormous bags  from Organic Matters. They are a bulk distributor. Not sure if it would be worth it compared to your local store when you include shipping. We have always lived somewhere where it ends up still being a great deal. There might be some bulk distributors in your area as well. http://www.omfoods.com/nuts-nut-butters/coconut-desiccated-large-flakes/

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #322 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
Sailor Sam - Thanks for posting the links and making it super easy for me to look them up! I'm saving them for my weekend of reading:-) I've now ordered both the Taubes books from my public library.

Forgot to mention The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, by Phinney and Volek. I haven't read it yet, but it's another oft mentioned powerhouse that's heavy on the science. You work in a lab, right? Or am I confusing with someone else?

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Hi all, I'm anticipating a challenging day 11. Is the danger zone for giving up and I'm sleep walking on 4 hours sleep. My own fault as we got up at 4am to watch the All Blacks win a rugby game to go to the World Cup final. Then bloody kids decided to get up early. So I'm going to be dragging my sorry carcass around until I can have a nap later in the day. Luckily we have a long holiday weekend at home. Am going to plan my meals carefully and mindful that I might want to eat for reasons other than hunger. And reminding myself that I'm already a third of the way there.  No going back now. Hope you are all doing well. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: October 24, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
Hi all!
At my fancy hotel for the day and overnight and all day Sunday. So far, so good on the Whole30 front. Stopped 1/2 way here to get a few pecans and an apple out of my cooler bag. Now, snacking on baby carrots and guac...yum! Dinner in a while will be all from stuff I brought from home: chicken breast, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes in pretty colours, cucumber, and a jar of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I'm actually looking forward to it! I had a hot lunch at home before we left of salmon and butternut squash.

Tomorrow for breakfast, I'm having my first and only meal "out" which will be in my room. I've got a 3 egg omelette with 3 veggies and fried herbed potatoes coming and I put in the special instructions area that all the food needed to be prepared in either clarified butter or olive oil for my special diet :-) In the area where you choose your bread, I asked for spinach on the side as a 4th veggie choice -- its supposed to be a 3 veggie omlette. I didn't choose a meat because my guess is that the applewood ham, chorizo or sausage all have nitrates.

Hubs and I had a great chat about all this on our drive up (about 2 hours). He is so incredibly supportive of my efforts. I'm really so blessed to have him .. 26 years married, btw. He's off to his meetings from 5-9 and 8-4 tmw. I have to vacate the room at 11 so will go for an hour walk tomorrow and then have tea and maybe a fruit and veggie plate in the lounge and read/surf till he's done.  He was asking all about how he could do it too with his busy job and travel schedule and I basically told him that when he's at restaurants (like tonite) choose meat and vegetables -- no dairy, no wheat. He's a pretty healthy guy but to be really lean he could probably drop 20lb.

The hotel dropped off a cute plate of 4 handcrafted chocolates: "Thank you, hotel, attempting to sabotage my Whole30!" (read in Jimmy Fallon voice). Me=1, Hotel=0 Not falling for it! Will take home for the kids. This is highly unusual behavior for this cat!

Off to read my Whole 30 book! Goal is to read the WHOLE book this weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well and eating wonderful foods!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: October 24, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Great work having planned food and resisting  hotel provided treats, 1967mama. I hope you have a relaxing time. Great that hubby is on board.  I'm planning to wait until I have finished my first whole30 before suggesting my hubby try it. Was rather pleased to easily fit into a pair of shorts that 2 weeks ago were unzippable. Must be working! Off for that little afternoon nap now. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: October 24, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I just thought of this - I will type out what I brought in case it might help someone else out one day:

How I Ate Whole30 in a Hotel Room

This trip was a two hour drive from home. I brought a small cooler that would hold 12 cans of pop as my refrigerator with ice packs. Will refill tonite with hotel ice as my ice packs thaw. I also brought a zippered bag for dry goods and cans. Also in the bag is a set of cutlery, a can opener, a bowl to eat my
Big salad in and a tea towel for drying my dishes.

-applesauce cups
-can of tuna and salmon
-1/2 bag of washed and torn romaine lettuce
-cooked chicken breast
-box of heirloom tomatoes
-ziploc container of mushrooms
-almonds
-pecans
-medjool dates
-coconut
-bananas, kiwis and apples in plastic box to protect them
-small glass jar of Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
-Lara bars
-herbal and regular tea
-can of pineapple
-4 hardboiled eggs
-1 package compliant prosciutto
-coconut
-raisins
-almond butter
-compliant coconut water with pineapple juice

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
Thanks for the list, 1967!  I've got a few more hotel stays coming up, so this is helpful.  One question on the Larabars - are there specific ones that are "OK"?  I looked at them at Natural Grocer the other day but most of them had more sugar than I wanted.  They make one called Sticky Bun that is delish and one of the lowest in sugar, but it's hard to find and I wonder if they discontinued it.  I guess Kind Bars are a no-no because they have puffed millet in them?

I've been updating my Whole30 Pinterest board in preparation for getting started.  Thought I'd post the link here in case anyone is interested.

https://www.pinterest.com/kapelakin/whole-30/

Since we're going into winter, I'm planning to have eggdrop soup for breakfast lots of days.  Even though it's eggs, it might be different enough for those who are tiring of eggs.  I'm using homemade bone broth enhanced with some garlic, chiles and fish sauce.  Then it's just heated up and some chopped scallions and a scrambled egg or two dropped in, so I'm thinking it can even be done with the microwave at work.

Also planning to make some compliant sausage patties with ground turkey and ground pork.  Last W30 I was lackadaisical about the contents of sausages and bacon and the like, but will do better this time!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing your board, horsepoor!

You might want to double check your fish sauce. I could NOT find a compliant brand in Canada. I ended up getting a tube of anchovy paste and adding it to a little hot water and a dash of coconut aminos and some salt. Came close enough for our tastes - definitely not as salty as prepared fish sauce, but you can adjust to taste.

Here is the list of compliant/non-compliant Laura bars from the whole 30 website:

Compliant: Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie.

Non-compliant: Blueberry Muffin, Cappuccino, Chocolate Chip Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Coconut Chocolate Chip, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Cookie, Snickerdoodle.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/01/6-whole30-ingredients/#sthash.KBX5KFfy.dpuf

I just came across the WHole 30 Gallery on Food gawker too, with over 600 results, should be some good stuff there :)
https://foodgawker.com/tag/whole30/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
Swick - Thanks for posting the list of compliant Lara bars. Mine are Apple Pie and Coconut Cream so I am good .. whew! I was so annoyed when I made a special trip to Costco for Lara bars last week and the box only contained 2 types and both had peanuts! I've bought them there in the past with suitable flavors. Also, thanks for the tip on the fish sauce. I bought some before my Whole30 for use in cooking and at that point, didn't check the label, so I will have to be sure to do that before cooking again.

Horsepoor - I just mentioned homemade sausage patties to my daughter a day ago. I made some at the very beginning of this journey and really enjoyed them!

Kiwisonya - It was neat because I didn't actually even mention the idea of my husband doing Whole30, but rather he brought it up himself since he's seen how good I'm feeling.

Speaking of feeling good, I just ordered my first restaurant/room service meal and they did really well. I was super clear that I wanted everything cooked ONLY in clarified butter or olive oil, and no bread with the omelette and herbed potatoes. I also ordered a fruit plate and unfortunately I forgot to be specific about it so it came with muffin squares and yogurt dip, both which weren't on the menu. At least I could just move them all to the side.

Now I'm planning on a nice 1 hour walk in the sunshine once I check out at 11. I will see my hubs briefly over his lunch break, then I will sit in the lounge in a big comfy chair for the afternoon and drink tea. I may attempt to order some more food, or I may smuggle in some of my home food in my backpack. He is done at 4pm.

So far, my weekend away has been a lovely break for this very busy mama :-)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pinterest board, horsepoor. Lots of delicious looking food in there! I made my first monkey bowl for breakfast this morning thanks to someone mentioning it here - banana, flaked almonds,toasted coconut chips, first strawberries of the season and coconut cream. So delicious! It felt like my old sweet breakfasts but much healthier. I won't be doing it everyday as I'm trying to get rid of my sweet tooth but a great option to throw in the mix. Day 12 today and feeling good. Is Labour Day holiday and the sun is shining and birds singing.
1967mama, you are doing a great job sticking to the plan and wonderful that your hotel made an effort! While I'm keen for hubby to do whole30, not because he's overweight but because he has Crohn's disease - I'm probably better to be a good example and then it will be his idea! He has been looking at my delicious food enviously. Thanks for posting your food list - that is bound to come in handy for many of us. I'm taking the kids camping in a couple of weekends so will use it then. Have a great day everyone.  Ks

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: October 25, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Would love to hear some recipes for homemade breakfast sausage patties! I order some from US Wellness occasionally but would love to make my own.  Do I just use ground pork or do I need a meat grinder? Just did a quick search and apparently my Vitamix would work as a meat grinder ~ didn't even think of that!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:26:44 PM by Liz »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #332 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
Hi everyone -- you've got a great group going over here!

I did Weight Watchers for 2.5 months, with mixed success due to hunger. I switched over to low carb a month ago, and I'm losing weight while still feeling full. Awesome! I'm down 11 pounds since I started. I have about 50 more to go, but every little bit helps.

My eating plan is based off of what was recommended in Gary Taube's book. So I'm OK with some dairy, but limited amounts of fruit/potatoes/corn.

I just finished cooking a yummy green chicken enchilada casserole bake, and I have the stuff ready for a taco salad this week too. Hopefully this is the beginning of a good week!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:51 PM »
Liz Here's the turkey sausage recipe I use and LOVE it!  I buy the ground turkey in bulk from Costco. Then I fry it up as crumbles, and mix in with my eggs all week for breakfast.  So good and easy! 

http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_breakfast_sausage

1967mama Sounds like you had a great and successful weekend. It's important for us moms to get our alone time. :-)

KiwiSonya I don't know about others, but I'm already jealous of you talking about spring/summer.  :-)  I hope you made it yesterday after the little sleep. That does make it harder to keep on track with eating, but I think you have enough focus to stick with it. 

Genevieve Welcome!  You should join us for a 30 day challenge. This group is awesome.  Eating this way is way easier than doing WW, at least in my opinion.  You are totally right about always feeling hungry with WW, and I just hate tracking food.

horsepoor Thanks for the link to your board.  There are some great looking recipes on there.  Your egg drop soup sounds so good!  I love soups, and just haven't made them as much on Whole30. This would be good and easy.

I've been sticking with the good eating still, but now that I'm exercising, I can tell that I'm more hungry and have started to snack again.  That's good and bad. My snacks have been compliant (fruit or nuts), but I don't want to get into bad habits again with snacking.  Also, I haven't felt the best this week, and I think it may have been from reintro of dairy. Or it's possible there were other things in the food that I didn't know about.

Is anyone thinking about when they are going to start their next official 30 days?  I can't remember who said it, but I think someone was talking about doing a whole90 starting in January.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
Liz - Here is the sausage recipe! I loved that it was super easy and used common spices from my cupboard. My kids and teens loved it. I will triple next time:-) I'm planning on doing some extras up for an alternative to eggs for breakfast :-) I also made the mash, which I loved. The kids were iffy on it but they're not big squash eaters. It keeps well in the fridge so can be used for yummy leftovers with your proteins for the next few days. ETA: Used pork already ground from grocery store. Ground turkey would work too, like Mom22boye suggested.

http://whole30.com/2015/04/bangers-and-mash/

Genevieve - Welcome to our little group:-) Great support here.  Some of us have tried Weight Watchers. I was
Also hungry on their plan:-/ I have the Gary Taubes book on hold from the library as I'm thinking of a version of Paleo after I do my
2nd Whole30. Have you thought about doing a Whole30 to see if
you're sensitive to dairy and then jump back to Paleo after 30 days? I've seen remarkable results in my 17-18 days on this plan so far and plan to do another whole30 directly following this round. I have 70+ pounds to lose. Ugh!

Kiwis ya- Isnt monkey salad just to die for?! I couldn't believe how all the healthy goodness could taste so yummy! I tried coconut cream for the first time yesterday. I read that you can just keep a can of coconut milk in your fridge all the time and the cream rises to the top. So luxurious tasting to me!

Sorry for the typos and formatting issues. Typing on an iphone! Last of my
Little holiday spent in a swanky lounge with big comfy chairs. I ordered a spinach salad with Olive oil and balsamic, no pine nuts, berries if
They were fresh and not sweetened, prawns done in Olive oil, no butter. no croutons. A fruit plate for dessert. Earl grey tea. Felt like I was ordering in "When Harry Met Sally" but it's worked perfectly for two meals now so I'm feeling more confident.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:38:25 PM by 1967mama »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Made this tonight: http://paleoleap.com/pork-apple-meatloaf/

Paired with this: http://myfridgefood.com/recipes/salads-and-sides/fried-german-potato-salad/ (substituting more bacon grease for the canola oil)

Holy wow.  So great.  Would definitely recommend to a friend.  Yum.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2015, 02:35:48 AM »
I meant to mention that there are a couple recipes on that board that need tweaking to be compliant - like the tuna cakes have bread crumbs that I would probably substitute out for some cauli-rice instead.  I'm sure this is obvious but didn't want anyone to accuse me of bait and switch. ;)

I'm really looking forward to starting after today.  I had a freebie on my Starbuck's card and DH and I were embarking on an unplanned, epic day of road-tripping so I got a salted caramel mocha, which was way too sweet.  I had a piece of baked chicken from the deli around 2, and then we didn't really have a chance to eat until we rolled back into town around 10 pm. He wanted to eat at Burger King for some weird reason, so I went along with it and ate a big burger plus a water.  Tried to go to bed shortly after and my pulse was up and my stomach was making all sorts of weird noises.  Now I'm up again with an elevated pulse and a wicked thirst.  Less than ideal with the 12+ hour workday I have scheduled tomorrow.  Kinda' makes me wonder what they're putting in that junk.

On the fish sauce - I do need to check mine.  Red Boat is the usual approved kind but the Asian market quit carrying it.  I bought what seemed to be the next best in quality, but can't remember if it has any weird additives.  I did pick up a bottle of coconut aminos this weekend, so might experiment with that instead.  Hated the Mrs. Bragg's liquid aminos.  Blech.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2015, 07:54:53 AM »
  Hated the Mrs. Bragg's liquid aminos.  Blech.

Bragg's also isn't complaint it is...wheat? based? Something, I threw it out at the beginning of the whole 30 so I can't look. 

There is a wide variation of coconut amino's they are all supposedly fermented for about a year The brand my mom picked up though is like, very fermented - it is a completely different taste than the one that I got - was very distracting in the almond sauce I made for lettuce wraps. We have tried Naked coconut and Coconut Secret both are pretty good. I don't remember the name brand of the one my mom bought, I'll have to ask.

Hubs had a few successes and turning points worth sharing :) We were both tired and cranky on Saturday (I had a horrible sleep for some reason) We had to go shopping and do a bunch of running around and by the time we hit the grocery store we were not in good moods. It was the first time since starting that I wanted to eat everything. This is about the time, traditionally, we would end up with something we didn't really want because it seemed like a good idea at the time. I grabbed some pumpkin seeds and then decided to put them back, because even though they are compliant, I didn't want to be making any decisions on snack foods in that head space. 

Hubs bought a small package of compliant (ingredient wise) plantain chips. He got home had a few and said: "You know, I don't need to eat these.  I love the idea of salty snacky food, but I don't need it"  and he threw them out! This is someone who would have devoured the whole bag without even a thought. For him, This is huge! Salty snack foods have always been his weakness.

We went for late Thanksgiving dinner at his grandma's house. He had a bit of stuffing and a small (he actually sent the plate back when his request for 1/2 a slice was not honored!) slice of her pumpkin pie.  Given the immense amount of family pressure, I was so proud of him for choosing intentionally what to eat and holding his ground. I avoided everything I didn't want to eat - except some butter that was on the veggies - which I'm not going to sweat.

Also, we had to order him new pants last night! Down from a 40 to a 38 :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #338 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
Loved the fried potato salad recipe,  Ketchup, thanks for sharing. Was a bit exotic for the kids but hubby and I wolfed down the rest. I have been making big batches of my food and offering it to the family first before bringing out other options.  My 3 year old wolfed down a double serving of monkey bowl, my meat reluctant 5 year old who is currently sprouting before my eyes ate about 500g of slow cooked lamb leg with moroccan spices and preserved lemon. Had plans for the leftovers but guess not! Hubby enjoyed his compliant breakfast of fried potatoes, bacon and eggs, saying he felt very satisfied.  Well, compared to a bowl of cornflakes you would, wouldn't you. Day 13 and I'm feeling great.  Caught up on missed sleep by sleeping like the dead for a couple of nights. Feeling energetic so will get lots done today. Noticed belt on tightest hole and bra looking decidedly empty. Need to pysche myself up for some clothes shopping. Have a great day everyone. Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
Swick - So happy for your husband. In my very limited experience (Day 18) the early successes are so very motivating and more success build up! I love Bragg's -- but yes, I know its not compliant. I'm delighted with the taste of coconut aminos. I have some avacado oil to try out too.

Kiwisonya - I'm going to make a monkey bowl right now, since you just reminded me about them! Yum! Three cheers for new clothes!

I've yet to find a bacon that doesn't have junk in it. I do have 2 sides of grass-fed, hormone free beef coming later this week and am so excited for that! Big $$$$ but I'm pretty fussy about meat; always have been.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
I do have 2 sides of grass-fed, hormone free beef coming later this week and am so excited for that! Big $$$$ but I'm pretty fussy about meat; always have been.

2 Sides?!?! That's like...a whole cow! I'm jealous you have that much space, mmm tasty cow! I have lamb coming which I am pretty excited about.

SO it seems like for us, the cheapest protein source we have found is....duck! I can get a package of (crappy) ground beef at the store, or I can buy a whole duck for the same price (how does that even work?) granted it is a little less meat, but we also get about a cup and a half of duck fat and a couple of quarts of really good bone broth from each duck.  This is a dangerous realization :D

I've been getting out and walking every day, even when I don't feel like it, even when the weather isn't the greatest, hey if I can get use to the rain, maybe when the snow comes it will be a nice change? I do feel myslef getting stronger and faster so that is pretty cool.

Your lamb sounds AMAZING Kiwisonya! Sounds like you are having some fun and success with converting your family slowly to a better way of eating, way to go!

SO...we have lots of people who haven't updated in a while! How is everyone doing? What are your successes, challenges and experiences?

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
Thank you for sharing sausage recipes, they both sound easy to prepare AND delicious! My two main criteria;)

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I tried a serving of full fat yogurt over the weekend and after about an hour, my stomach was cramping and bloated. I also had trouble sleeping that night and my allergies were acting up too. I thought full fat yogurt would be a good dairy to try, but apparently the kind I had (Fage) had 8 grams of lactose in it!

However, I did make wings with butter instead of ghee on Sunday and that went fine. Stomach was a tad rumbly, but nothing like the effects of the yogurt.  I will be trying some aged cheese on Thursday and will report back on how that goes.  I was nervous about reintroducing things, but realized I would much rather do it now, in a controlled setting, versus being out and about somewhere.

I'm also testing the waters with a clean-eating version of keto. It's going pretty good so far, and I've dropped a couple more pounds since the end of my W30.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the update, Liz!

Interesting that yogurt would have such an effect. Darn. That doesn't bode well for me re-introducing it! I was thinking it couldn't possibly be as bad as the milk we tried!

So far we have introduced Buckwheat and Quinoa successfully.  Will probably try to re intro something else this weekend, not sure what yet.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
Hi Swick and Gang!

I have some very exciting news! The size 14 jeans I bought in Fall 2009 fit me this morning! I had a miscarriage in January 2010 and was pregnant again in July 2010 with my last child so I know for a fact that I haven't worn them more than 3x. They aren't ridiculously tight either. Snug but definitely the way you'd buy them. I can't even believe this is happening to me!!!!! So I started out 19 days ago barely fitting my size 18 clothes and am now comfortably fitting size 14's? I am scale free so I won't know for sure whAt I've lost until
I get to the end of this first whole30.

Last night, I was getting ready for bed And my face looks noticeably thinner. I went to show my husband. He said, "Other people who don't know you're doing Whole30 are going to start to notice!" I don't even look like the "me" I've come to know these last few years.

I have houseguests coming Wedneaday and Thursday nights but I will be cooking and in control of
The food so it shouldn't be a problem. I have 2 chickens out thawing for our first dinner and am considering burgers on the grill for the 2nd night.

Husband just sent me this text:

"You are amazing!! So happy and VERY proud of you"

Does it get any better than that?!

Have a great day, everyone! Off to enjoy my poached eggs:-)
Sorry for the typos - iphone

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
Hi Swick and Gang!

I have some very exciting news! The size 14 jeans I bought in Fall 2009 fit me this morning! I had a miscarriage in January 2010 and was pregnant again in July 2010 with my last child so I know for a fact that I haven't worn them more than 3x. They aren't ridiculously tight either. Snug but definitely the way you'd buy them. I can't even believe this is happening to me!!!!! So I started out 19 days ago barely fitting my size 18 clothes and am now comfortably fitting size 14's? I am scale free so I won't know for sure whAt I've lost until
I get to the end of this first whole30.

Last night, I was getting ready for bed And my face looks noticeably thinner. I went to show my husband. He said, "Other people who don't know you're doing Whole30 are going to start to notice!" I don't even look like the "me" I've come to know these last few years.

I have houseguests coming Wedneaday and Thursday nights but I will be cooking and in control of
The food so it shouldn't be a problem. I have 2 chickens out thawing for our first dinner and am considering burgers on the grill for the 2nd night.

Husband just sent me this text:

"You are amazing!! So happy and VERY proud of you"

Does it get any better than that?!

Have a great day, everyone! Off to enjoy my poached eggs:-)
Sorry for the typos - iphone

YAY! This whole post makes me so happy :) Awesome job 1967mama, it is so fantastic that you are getting results and appreciation from your hubby for all the major changes you have been making!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Hi everyone,  1967mama, I am so excited for you. It does feel a bit weird (in an awesome way) that our bodies can respond so fast given the right fuel. Weight gain is generally a slow and steady affair but to wake up looking different due to losing weight is a foreign experience. Go you! And what a fabulous hubby, you're a lucky lady.
Swick, yay for duck. I love duck but it is pricey in NZ. I treated myself to a pack of duck fat so I can make the best ever roast potatoes -drooling!
I put my skinniest jeans on this morning to find that they are baggy. Yay! One thing that hasn't come right yet are my sinuses. But I think I may have a sinus infection rather than my usual allergies. Trying a few saline rinses before going to the dr. Can't properly taste my food which is a real bummer as everything looks scrumptious. Rushing to get kids out the door but will check in again later. Ks

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »
Today is day 30 for me.

Non-Scale Victories
  • Went from a nicely fitting size 36 waist to lose 34 waist. I might have a rebound coming out of keto, so I'm hoping the 34's stick around
  • Face obviously thinner
  • Sleeping well. I'm another insomniac
  • Learned ketosis won't kill me!
  • Fasted 36 hours last weekend, and felt nominal hunger. Interesting datapoint
  • Lost 4cm on chest, 6cm on waist, 0.5cm on thigh. Pleased

Scale Victory: 160 --> 152 lbs. I'm still overweight for my height, but I'm very close to a 'normal' BMI.*

I have some mandatory fun tonight, at a bar. I'm going to have some beer tonight, even though it's jumping the gun$ by 12-ish hours. I'm just so goddamn tired to explaining ketosis, and why 'one little cheat' really will ruin my data. Plus, don't want to stand out as weird in front of the CO, his CO, and (possibly) a three star admiral. Yipes!

*If you're into BMI. It's certainly a problematic measurement scale. Yet, I still have a visible gut, so I don't think it's totally wrong.
$Though, I think I could justify this down to 2 hours. Because, it starts after dinner on day zero, right? Eh? Right??

Now I have to go change into my fancy fucking uniform, and attend a career fair. Look out people, I look fiiiiine!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
1967mama - That is AWESOME! And you're not even done yet! Very cool. And your husband sounds like a keeper:)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »
Way to Go Sailor Sam!!!
Hope you have an amazing time tonight, and don't pay for it too much tomorrow :) Those are some pretty awesome results!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
Congratulations,  Sailor Sam! Amazing results -6cm from your waist is huge! Enjoy yourself tonight,  you deserve it.