Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427051 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Despite being part of the Stocktober challenge, I broke down and bought some ketostix, to test if I'm in ketosis. Very firmly in ketosis! Rainbow pooping unicorn victory for Sir Samuel.

CONGRATULATIONS SS! I fondly remember the first time I ever lit up a ketostix. It's an awesome feeling to know you're burning the shit out of your own fat.

I think it was bracken_joy talking about how this changes over time? (I can't remember if it was her or not?) Whoever, they are 100% correct: as you go further in the journey, you don't light up the keto stick like in the beginning. I thought i was not in ketosis, but I had all the other signs, in spades. I finally wised up and realized there's a LOT of things that change when you go from having lots of fat for your body to convert, to not having quite so much for your body to convert.

BTW: MCT oil did nothing for me when I started, but now, it is awesome. When you get within 10 lbs or so of your goal weight, you gotta try some.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
With all this chatting about keto, I thought I would do a little personal research, being a newbie and all:-)

I found it super interesting and thought I'd put a link here of a good article I read on why we get fat. Lots of other good stuff on there too for anyone doing the Whole30 plan. You can see on the food lists, for example, which fruits and vegetables are higher in carbs and can make sure you steer away from those, or eat them in smaller amounts.

I was so mad tonite .. I went to Costco specifically to get a big box of Lara Bars. I've bought them there in the past just because I like them so I knew they would have a box with lots of flavors. Tonite, they had a box with 2 flavors. Peanut and Peanut Chocolate Chip, or something like that ... grrrrr!

I did find Avacado Oil, which I've been looking for. There are lots of good looking Whole30 recipes that use this oil. Also picked up some walnuts and produce. Going through healthy foods so fast, but they take up So. Much. Room. in the fridge!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
In fact, let me send you this little morsel of luv: http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

We made this for dinner tonight and my keto-wife couldn't stop raving about it. She loves that I like making it - it's easy as hell if I can make it, I promise you. The ruled.me recipes are fantastic. I love how they do the recipe with photos and in such amazing detail. Wort paying for!

Damnnit mefla! You gotta stop posting that! Every time I see it it's all I can think about! (Haven't reintroduced cheese yet) Although I'm totally intrigued by a mozza based crust and will indeed have to try it one day...maybe when I'm somewhere with a microwave. I imagine I could probably use a double boiler if I was really determined :)

I am really learning a lot from the Whole30 book ... so glad I took the plunge and bought it. Just polished off 2 eggs with steamed spinach and a handful of organic grapes. Yum!

Another thing I am noticing is that my brain fog seems to have lifted permanently! I'm so excited about this because, being a mama since 1991, and with many children, I have basically been in a brain fog since 1991 ... ugh! I"m not getting tired in the afternoons, and I'm not feeling sluggish at dinnertime. I am getting up earlier in the morning and having more restful sleeps (unless there's some drama going on with a teenager, etc). This is also a pleasant change. I'm still popping a melatonin most nights to fall asleep but I tend to be very busy with functional stuff in the daytime (again, large family) and then the emotional stuff starts flowing through my head as the house quiets at bedtime (around 11pm) so then I get some think time to process the day.

This is so awesome! so glad to hear you are getting "you" back :D

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!  To me, Whole30/paleo/primal/keto all go hand in hand with MMM.  Today's society is all about excess: cars, houses, clothes, jewelry....and YES food!  I looked back at only one of my credit cards last year (pre-MMM) and I spent over 7K at restaurants. Not even grocery stores, but JUST restaurants.  I was blown away, and literally wanted to cry.  How wasteful am I being? How unhealthy am I by eating all this crap? I remember back to when I was young and I was lucky if my mom let us have anything sweet more than once every two weeks.  That's why I'm continuing on the Whole30 (except trace sugar). I want to get back to being in control so I can say NO to all that crap for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and on and on.

This was really good, thank you for sharing, mom22boys.  I think the only saving grace we had in our old town was there was not really anywhere to go out eat - although getting any fresh fruits and veggies was also a problem. It does seem like the whole diet/mmm thing does go hand in hand, since at the end of the day it is about using all our resources optimally. Hacking your diet and food certianly does count!

Thanks for the manifesto, mefla! Excellent summary of the season of insanity. And with our Canadian Thanksgiving being earlier, our season is even longer.

When you said this:
"Easter Sunday dinners that look exactly like Thanksgiving and Christmas."
it made me think that I should post my Thanksgiving dinner list just in case it would be a help to someone...

KiwiSonya, I am totally not a strong person and this is so totally unlike me. I have about 70 pounds to lose to be just back into the range of a healthy BMI (I'm so embarrassed to type that out). So as you can imagine, I have a real weakness/addiction to sweets and snacks and junk food and baking and fast food and bread and cookies and cake and icing and, and, and. And its GONE. As in, every day, I'm stepping outside myself going, "Who is this person who chose to eat tuna on a bed of lettuce and chopped veggies for dinner? Who is this person who is now eating eggs every day for breakfast topped with steamed spinach and tomatoes or avocado and zucchini??? Who is this person who carries a bag of nuts and an apple in her purse???  We are rooting for you! If I can do it, you can do it! I can't wait to hear about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you got through it!

This was a totally awesome post! Isn't it awesome to be that person you marvel at? My SIL posted a comic on FB all about how much "Future Self" Hates "Present Self" because present self has so much fun and has bad habits and on and on and future self has to pay for them. I thought this was so, so sad...but the comments made me feel even sadder. There was lots of apathy and resignation to that's just how things are....

Here I was thinking future self is going to thank present self for fucking rocking it!...and that's the way it SHOULD be!!

Updates:
Other then the experiment with reintroducing milk last weekend still eating whole 30. The milk has not made it's way back into the regular rotation and more than likely won't. My face has still not fully recovered.

Intermittent fasting keeps popping up all over the pace for me, so I figured I should look into it. James Clear has a really good intro: http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting I've always had a problem with eating first thing in the morning and use to not eat until 9-10. After hearing over and over I needed to have breakfast and it was unhealthy to skip meals (blah, blah, blah) I have spent YEARS trying to get into the3 squares a day routine. Funny, the time I was just eating when I was hungry (late breakfast) were the times I was at my healthiest weight and energy levels...hmmm...

I did have to be careful though because I would usually eat crap later in the day to make up for it. Methinks it is worth trying now that I have a better understanding of and relationship with food.

Anyone else intermittent fasting? (I know it is kinda off topic, but hey all a part of the puzzle!)

How is everyone doing? How those on the plan? How are those doing the reintro? Please update!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
In fact, let me send you this little morsel of luv: http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

We made this for dinner tonight and my keto-wife couldn't stop raving about it. She loves that I like making it - it's easy as hell if I can make it, I promise you. The ruled.me recipes are fantastic. I love how they do the recipe with photos and in such amazing detail. Wort paying for!

Damnnit mefla! You gotta stop posting that! Every time I see it it's all I can think about! (Haven't reintroduced cheese yet) Although I'm totally intrigued by a mozza based crust and will indeed have to try it one day...maybe when I'm somewhere with a microwave. I imagine I could probably use a double boiler if I was really determined :)

I did have to be careful though because I would usually eat crap later in the day to make up for it. Methinks it is worth trying now that I have a better understanding of and relationship with food.

Anyone else intermittent fasting? (I know it is kinda off topic, but hey all a part of the puzzle!)

How is everyone doing? How those on the plan? How are those doing the reintro? Please update!

Sorry, sorry swick! I forgot, you are reintroducing dairy. For what it's worth, I'm lactose intolerant but this pizza doesn't bother me since the cheese used is (relatively) low in lactose and when you heat/cook cheese, it further diminishes the activity of the lactose.

Now, the salami is probably not-so-much Whole30 compatible, so you may want to turn it up a vegetarian notch. This Za would kick ass with fresh, thin tomato slices and mushrooms or sweet pepper slices on top!

BTW: I have to tell you that intermittent fasting doesn't really work worth a damn for me. I've even gone on something called "fat fasts" and that backfired on me - mainly it dehydrates me and I don't lose an ounce of real weight at all.

Now: I'm of northern european descent - painfully white, blonde hair, blue eyes, and I'm over 6ft tall and about 220lbs right now. So if it didn't work for me because of ethnic reasons, you at-least know what general group I hail from.

I think it was you - I can't remember, will have to check - who said you don't count calories? I log everything, but I don't specifically do it to count calories or limit calories. I actually do better when I bust my calorie limit ever-so-slightly, while adding exercise to my daily routine. I don't seem to be able to do jack-squat with any diet lifestyle without adding exercise, which is A-OK by me, because the whole purpose for me is to improve my speed on the bicycle...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
Well that is good to know about the pizza and lactose, I was curious. It is definitely on my to try list at some point, which reminds me, it's Friday - Have to make something comfort-food-ish for hubs for supper tonight.

I don't know if intermittent fasting will work - but figured it was worth the experiment, especially because if it means going back to how I use to eat, just with more consciousness and education about what I should be eating, it won't be very hard. Actually I did it yesterday (before I looked into it) and was beating myself up because I forgot to eat breakfast...

Onward and Upward! ....er the scale can go downward, I'm ok with that ;)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
I don't know if intermittent fasting will work - but figured it was worth the experiment, especially because if it means going back to how I use to eat, just with more consciousness and education about what I should be eating, it won't be very hard. Actually I did it yesterday (before I looked into it) and was beating myself up because I forgot to eat breakfast...

Some people claim great success. I've tried it about 4 times now and am satisfied it don't do jack for me. (BTW: I'm sure I didn't screw anything up in how I did it. both intermittent fasting and fat fasts are pretty simple, not much to know.)

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
Melissa from Whole30 just had a post about intermediate fasting, which was interesting.  Here's the link for your reading enjoyment:

http://whole30.com/2015/10/fasting/

My week has gone GREAT!  Feeling great still, sleeping rock hard every night, eating only when I'm hungry.  I'm itching to try some new recipes this weekend.  I have to crack open my Whole30 book tonight and see what I want to try next. I'm kinda craving some chicken curry, and that would be good over my cauliflower rice. :-)  This morning I weighed myself again and I'm down a few more lbs, but definitely not as much as last month. 

I'm also digging out some exercise DVDs.  Thinking about a little Les Mills Pump. Now I just gotta get the garage cleaned up so I have room to exercise.  I have exercise mats in the third stall of my garage (mainly for my boys to wrestle, etc) so I have a great place to exercise.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2015, 02:20:48 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the support and encouragement. First 2 days have been fine. But I'm visiting husband's rellies in another city with lots.of sugar and carb laden celebrations. I have boiled eggs, roast beef salad, nut butter and tins of salmon in my bag.   For anyone who asks I'm experimenting with my food to alleviate my obvious seasonal allergies. Will try to focus conversation on others if possible. Have encountered 'that sounds faddish/too extreme' from some including hubby so just quietly doing my own thing for my own benefit. Am feeling more trim around my tummy and my rings are twirling on my finger and that's enough for now. Have just read about possible reactions as you move through the program and I totally understand now why I gave up on Day 10 last time. It's easy to think the kick ass feeling will last forever  but I'm prepared now for it not too. Keep up the good work everyone.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »
For those interested in IF, Erica/NWEdible started a great thread on it a couple months ago.  I'd go find the link but I'm on my phone.

I've quit eating breakfast when  not hungry and it seems helpful to hold off on eating carbs early in the day.  Often I'll do bulletproof coffee, sometes with an egg in lieu of breakfast and I'm good until 1/or 2.  Reduces the amount of insulin response through the day.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
Melissa from Whole30 just had a post about intermediate fasting, which was interesting.  Here's the link for your reading enjoyment:

http://whole30.com/2015/10/fasting/

Yay for feeling great! Thanks for sharing the above link! Was interesting to see the whole30 take on it. A lot of what she says totally makes sense, especially if you are still on the first 30 days.

Thanks horsepoor, I had forgotten, I'll go check the thread out.

KiwiSonya - don't forget you have a support system here! Check in for encouragement and understanding when dealing with the relatives. There are quite a few of you who have been doing this journey without the participation/support of your SO and I just have to say how awesome you all are and how much I admire you! 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
I'm replying so I can follow this thread. I haven't done it yet, but am looking forward to trying ... thanks for all the inspiration and support!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »
I've quit eating breakfast when  not hungry and it seems helpful to hold off on eating carbs early in the day.  Often I'll do bulletproof coffee, sometes with an egg in lieu of breakfast and I'm good until 1/or 2.  Reduces the amount of insulin response through the day.

I've experimented with bulletproof coffee, or some type of version of it {coconut oil and ghee} and I have been really surprised on how full it keeps me ... plus I think it tastes like a latte!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
It's very latte like with an egg.  Just start blending the egg and slowly add in the first few ounces of coffee to temper the egg so you don't end up with scrambled egg coffee.  It gets really frothy.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Despite being part of the Stocktober challenge, I broke down and bought some ketostix, to test if I'm in ketosis. Very firmly in ketosis! Rainbow pooping unicorn victory for Sir Samuel.

CONGRATULATIONS SS! I fondly remember the first time I ever lit up a ketostix. It's an awesome feeling to know you're burning the shit out of your own fat.

I think it was bracken_joy talking about how this changes over time? (I can't remember if it was her or not?) Whoever, they are 100% correct: as you go further in the journey, you don't light up the keto stick like in the beginning. I thought i was not in ketosis, but I had all the other signs, in spades. I finally wised up and realized there's a LOT of things that change when you go from having lots of fat for your body to convert, to not having quite so much for your body to convert.

BTW: MCT oil did nothing for me when I started, but now, it is awesome. When you get within 10 lbs or so of your goal weight, you gotta try some.

Thanks mefla, now I feel the love. It was Bracken_Joy who mentioned that ketostix eventually stop working, over on the Stocktober thread. I'm aware it might happen, and the sticks will probably be a one-time buy. I simply wanted to calibrate what I was feeling with some sort of actual diagnostic tool. Now that I've verified what ketosis feels like to Samuel, I won't need the sticks. Frankly, I only needed one, and it pained me to pay $16 bucks for 50. I seriously considered heading over to medical and asking for one, but I didn't want any weird notes going into a file that is used to yay/nay my deployments.

That pizza looks good, but the dairy would kill me. I'm envious of your continued cheese ability. My dairy tolerance shut down about 5 years ago, and I had to give it up. Milk now tastes gross to me, but I was always on the fence about straight cow juice anyway. Sadly, cheese still tastes great, despite the pain-pain-pain-vomit cycle it causes in my stomach.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
I'm replying so I can follow this thread. I haven't done it yet, but am looking forward to trying ... thanks for all the inspiration and support!

Now the only question is WHEN ARE YOU STARTING?  :-)  Just look at the great menu that 1967mama had for Thanksgiving.  Now's the perfect time to start, even with Thanksgiving coming fast.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
Thanks Swick! First family party went great. Amongst the laden table was home cooked roast lamb and chicken and there was huge salad with loads of vege and avo. Dressing was in a jug on the table so I left it off. I loaded up with meat and salad and it was yum! Offered to walk a baby around the garden at dessert time so no explanation required. Am saving my emergency rations for tomorrow.  Quite glad our host (mil) is babysitting for her grandkids tonight so we're in charge of dinner.  Will shop and make compliant dinner. Hubby noticed I didn't eat carbs but didn't make a big deal about it. I'm sure as long as he gets his bread/pasta/rice he won't be bothered. Today is looking sweet. Hope all is going well with the rest of you.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
This week I have been eating most foods with the exception of wheat. I did not do a proper reentro, as I intend to do another whole 30 starting tomorrow, and I was impatient.

Verdict: so not worth it. I knew I had problems with wheat and that I felt great when I ate paleo, but I had not realized how many subtle not-feeling-good signals my body sends when I eat say, corn quesadillas. I feel not quite right. It's not dramatic like it is with the foods I know myself to actually be allergic to, but it's not pleasant either.

Plus, with my sugar demons partially vanquished, it is way easier to listen to my body instead of my intestinal flora.

Tomorrow I am back on the bandwagon. I am getting tired of sweet potatoes and beef with salad and avocado, plus my job just ended so I have lots (too much) time. This time around I am going to try for a more involved cooking routine, at least until I fall into a good winter life pattern.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
Hi Botanist, I also felt vaguely not so good when I fell off the band wagon, gross when I ate dairy but just a bit non specifically crap the rest if the time. Reading Wheat Belly at MIL's - embarrassed to report that someone once asked me if I was pregnant before kids were on the scene -definitely have a wheat belly problem. Have survived a couple more meals away from home but not especially interesting or delicious food - will pull out all the stops when I get home. Attending a pizza and stawberry party at lunchtime - have a salad with tuna and an apple with nut butter to keep me going. Really glad I brought supplies otherwise I'd be in trouble. Sounds vain but pleased to be able to see ribs and perhaps even an ab if I suck my tummy in. Haven't seen those since I was a teenager so quite exciting! If I keep this up I might even be able to buy my first ever bikini this summer. Have had a tummy since I was a kid so never felt happy to show off my middle.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
Sadly, my daughter slipped up today on her Day 5 and has to restart. She had one of those little vitamin C packets that you mix with water. She's been doing so well, too!

I've made it through Day 9 now (Day 13 since I started, but then had 2 restarts). You'd have to force me, at gunpoint, to eat something off plan at this stage of the game! I can't believe it!

Tomorrow, we are going out for Chinese food with our whole family. There's nothing that I feel I can safely eat there, so I'm going to eat in the car on the way, and then put a little food on my plate and push it around (haha! suggested to me earlier, and now I can really do it, because its just my own family) and then eat again when we get home. I made my son a birthday cake today too. It seemed yucky to me. The smell was sickly sweet. That is not something I would normally say. Instead, you would see me licking the batter off the spatula and out of the bowl ... seriously! And I thought I was a grown up! haha!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »
I just got back from a 4 day stay on the Vegas Strip, living it up with some friends. I drank a lot of club soda. I dodged a lot of drunk people. I saw a Cirque du Soleil show. The Strip is surprisingly economical when you neither drink nor gamble, but it's too tacky for my taste.   

I found it easy to stay on-plan from a mental standpoint, but middling difficult from a logistics standpoint. I avoided obviously off-plan stuff like bread, dairy, and alcohol, but I strongly suspect every non-egg thing I consumed had fillers and sugars. Beyond keeping bread and potatoes off my plate, I did not interrogate waiters and I made concessions on restaurant choices when the larger group wanted to eat at more difficult restaurants. From a strictly legal standpoint I should tap out and restart, but fuck that noise. I stayed in ketosis on the Vegas Strip! I definitely displayed the mental toughness the Whole30 whinges about, despite the all the sugary bacon I stuffed into my maw.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »
From a strictly legal standpoint I should tap out and restart, but fuck that noise. I stayed in ketosis on the Vegas Strip! I definitely displayed the mental toughness the Whole30 whinges about, despite the all the sugary bacon I stuffed into my maw.

You go guy! I won't facepunch you if you stayed in ketosis in The City of Sin.

Sugary bacon? WTF? Do you mean sugar used in curing, or does it actually have sugar ADDED to it?

And why on God's earth would anyone need to corrupt Nature's Most Perfect Food, Bacon, by adding sugar?!?!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »

I found it easy to stay on-plan from a mental standpoint, but middling difficult from a logistics standpoint.

This is exactly what I'm facing with an upcoming weekend trip ... thanks for putting it into words for me, SS!:-)

kiwisonya, I can't imagine seeing actual ribs! haha! Good for you! That is a long and far away dream for me at this point, with 70+ pounds to lose. I really can't wait until the end of my first Whole30 to see what kind of weight I've lost, although the mental benefits alone have been extraordinary for me:-) At the end of Day 9 here, and I think that I will never, ever go back to eating that way again...is it unrealistic for me to say that already?

I was reading more of my Whole30 book today. I read the section where they ask you to eliminate dairy and grains, it makes me think, "Why would I ever want to add those back into my life?" I think I'm a serious candidate for a Whole60. Has anyone here every done 2 right in a row before?

I have a very fancy Christmas party to go to in the 2nd week of December and I"m afraid to buy my dress yet! haha! Nice problem to have, I guess. This would be a "Whole30 People Problems" issue, I guess. I was looking at dresses online today (a designer I know fits me every time) and I am really hesitant to buy a dress because I'm thinking, "One size smaller? Two sizes smaller?" Exciting to think about buying a smaller size, that's for sure.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2015, 01:44:15 AM »
Good work on staying in ketosis in Las Vegas, Sailor Sam. Having lived on boiled eggs, nuts and salads for the past 2 days due to travel, I understand the implementation problems. Yay, occasion for a new dress in a new size, 1967mama. It may sound weird but having to replace my clothes was always one of my barriers to losing weight -that is until I did Marie Kondo's tidy up and realised that I didn't get joy from any of my clothes so who cares if I have to donate them and start from scratch? I survived a solid 2 days of family feasting and travel without incident and feel buoyed by that.  It is was one of the more challenging scenarios that I could imagine in my life and it went perfectly fine. Everyone was happy to see us and few asked questions about my separate food and those who did were curious and supportive rather than judgmental. In addition to noticing ribs this morning I have noticed more definition to my ankles, wrists and hands. Something I was eating was making me retain water! I'm also nowhere near as hungry as I used to be. Is nearly 9pm- I had a big snack at 3 and thought I would eat now when I got home but actually would rather sleep so off to bed I go. Keep up the good work everyone.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
1967mama, Sailor Sam, KiwiSonyia ~ Just wanted to say a big WTG to you all for avoiding temptation. It sounds like you are all doing great! Sailor Sam, mental toughness is a great way to put it and you all have it!:)

Tomorrow is technically my Day 30 --- Wow, I feel time has flown! {I didn't feel that way in the beginning, of course LOL} I am so happy I decided to do a W30 on a random Saturday last month... I could have continued to eat junk and felt awful for another 30 days but instead I decided to make some changes and I have NO regrets. Time would have passed, whatever I decided to do, and I am happy with the changes I've made in the past 30 days instead of doing nothing {hope that made sense}!

amandapdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
Hi, everyone! I've finally caught up on this thread - thanks for all the posts! I started Whole30 on a whim October 1, with way less planning and cooking than should have been implemented. It's going well 18 days in! I am not having any trouble staying on plan if I have foods at the ready. When I don't, I feel more deprived.

I'm lucky that there are a few restaurants near my work that specifically have paleo options (that are also Whole30 compliant or can easily be made that way), including a food cart with three locations plus a brick-and-mortar restaurant that is totally paleo and lists every ingredient. It's nice to have an eating-out option in a pinch.

I knew I had to change my habits after gaining weight due to having two kids and starting/running an ice cream company for 5 years, so I know it's going to take longer than 30 days to make up for all that. I think I'll ease into a paleo diet after my Whole30, with occasional breaks, though plan to do a nice reintroduction period first - I didn't think I had any issues with food before, but I suspect that process will turn up some issues.

KiwiSonyia! I'm going through the KonMari process now too - between KM, Whole30, and MMM, we have a lot in common!

Thanks, all - looking forward to participating a little now that I caught up!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
The Konmarie book has been sitting on my "to read" pile since May. Too many competing priorities.

My husband is at a community event today he ran into a friend of ours from university who is now a little famous.  I'm so glad I didn't go! I'm sooooo overweight ( 70+) and would have been so embarrassed! Further motivation to lose this crap-ton of fat and feel good about myself and my body again. Grrrr! I think I will investigate adding some exercise to move things along as was suggested above. I need to get back to that former self and not drag future self through this awful period of being so overweight. I never realized until now how crappy I was feeling all the time. Day 10 and I'm just feeling So. Much. Better. Physically and mentally.

Thanks to all the contributors on this board. You are having such and impact on me!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:59:39 AM by 1967mama »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »
Sugary bacon? WTF? Do you mean sugar used in curing, or does it actually have sugar ADDED to it?

And why on God's earth would anyone need to corrupt Nature's Most Perfect Food, Bacon, by adding sugar?!?!

Thanks! I assume the sugar is from the curing process. Well, clarification. Fancy bacon has sugar from curing. Unfancy bacon has a slurry of glucose, dextrose, and dextrins injected. Same with lunchmeat.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #277 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »

Thanks! I assume the sugar is from the curing process. Well, clarification. Fancy bacon has sugar from curing. Unfancy bacon has a slurry of glucose, dextrose, and dextrins injected. Same with lunchmeat.

God help us on that. Maybe I need to go back to keeping/slaughtering my own hogs.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
Tonight I served my family a ham. I knew I wouldn't be eating it due because: nitrates. However, I thought I'd read the label for interest sake, and sure enough, in addition to the meat, there was salt, water and sugar! EWWWWWW!

For lunch today, 13 of us went out for Chinese food for my son's birthday. I looked at the menu online beforehand, and knew there wasn't a thing that I could safely eat, unless I made a special request for steamed vegetables with absolutely nothing on them but water. I decided that rather than do that, I would smuggle in a cooked chicken breast and a bag of baby carrots. The first course was lettuce wraps. I grabbed 2 big pieces of iceberg lettuce and broke up my chicken in them. As everyone was lifting their lettuce wraps up to eat, so did I! It was so great! I took a picture but haven't taken the time to get it onto imgur yet. I may add it later. Anyways, I helped keep the plates moving around on the glass lazy Susan in the middle of the big round table, and drank my water and lots of the green tea. I kept nibbling on carrots and left a chunk of lettuce on my plate to indicate to the wait staff that I was still eating. It totally worked! So happy with myself!

Tonight, my cool 17 year old son (haha, I'm so biased) who has done a lot of reading on health, weight training, running and so on, suggested I do a Whole90 and that I'd be "ripped" by the end of that if I were a guy. He makes me laugh! Anyways, tomorrow, I'm going to tape down a post it note over the 30 on the cover of my book, and write a 90 on it instead. There's no reason why I shouldn't/couldn't just keep going, right? Like I'm not missing any vital nutrients or anything? I was thinking I would have one day at the end of each whole 30 to have a few things, maybe a piece of bread with some honey, a bowl of yogurt. I don't know what else, but it might help me get right on track the next day (and feel like crap). Any thoughts on a Whole90? (reminder: I have 70+ lbs to lose).

Has anyone ever noticed that their teeth feel better? Tonight, I can't stop running my tongue over my front teeth. They are sooooo smooth. They only ever feel this good the day of a dental cleaning, and I feel like I have pretty good hygiene (at least, they always tell me I do when I go to the dentist). I can't believe that more unique and wonderful side effects of Whole 30 are revealing themselves in my body! Fascinating!

I had a great thought about the dress dilemma I mentioned upthread. I can wear one of the dresses from 6-7 years ago that is still very lovely (classic styles, colours) but no longer fits me. Hope this isn't a pipe dream! I can't even imagine being able to wear one of those beautiful dresses again!

I was realizing that if I lose 15 lb per whole 30, I would be 45 lbs down by New Years! That would be amazing to me! I can't wait till the first time in my real life, someone notices my weight loss. It will be a while, I'm sure, but that will be a happy day for me! I haven't really told anyone except my immediate family and the girlfriends and boyfriends of the older kids (adults). They are all 100% supportive. I"m so very blessed! Tonight I thanked my husband for how much he is supporting me in this, and how I feel like he is proud of me:-)

One last random thought (and thanks for listening, to all who made it this far): I was desperate to weigh myself today. My daughter is hiding the scale from me, because she knows I'm a scale addict. I weighed myself one week in and now today was 2 weeks in (from first start date). It was really neat what she said to me; that I wouldn't change anything about the way I'm eating if the scale wasn't where I was hoping it would be. I guess it could be really motivating to see another big loss, but it could also be really discouraging if my weight hit a plateau this week. So I'm now a recovering scale addict, too! She is soooo bang on. I need to trust the program and trust the results I'm already seeing.

Have a great day, everyone!

ETA image upload - hope
It works!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:28:04 PM by 1967mama »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »
Awesome job on the meal out, 1967mama. I have come to the conclusion that most people are so preoccupied with themselves that you can really get away with almost anything if done with confidence. Good on you for going for Whole90 - I think I could do a Whole60 with you. The weekend was a biggie in that I made a promise to myself and kept it. My weight loss attempts in the past including Weight Watchers have been full of promises made and broken. In fact if I'm honest there are examples littered through my life. The fact that I followed through this time gives me great hope for all my future promises - my future self will love me for cracking that!
Love your wise kids 1967mama - I hopped on mils scales and was disappointed.  I'm glad I've lost mine in the attic somewhere as I am also a recovering scale addict. Now that you mention teeth mine are feeling like they've just been brushed and they were actually done 12 hours ago! I remember reading about reversing gum disease and 'bad teeth' on Marks Daily Apple.
Today is Round 2 Day 5 and the metallic taste in my mouth is back. Is actually a happy reminder of ketosis so pleased to have it really.  I haven't been at all 'kill all the things' today although have been tired after weekend travelling and sleeping in bad bed. Will just head to bed early to sort that.  Spent a record 2 hours grocery shopping (and gulp record $300 nz) but have secured provisions that a king in days of old would have been proud of - exotic fruits (tamarillos, passionfruit and new season strawberries), asparagus, smoked salmon, ground meat of every kind (usually just get beef but have really rowed the boat out with lamb, turkey and pork mince), also interesting and compliant condiments like preserved lemons, kimchi, sauerkraut,  harissa tapenade, smoked olives etc - feast at my house everyone! I know I can and should make a lot of those things myself but I want to see if I like them first! Right,  I'm off to make my first ever batch of mayo, wish me luck. Welcome Amandapdx, sure does sound like we have lots in common! Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 19, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »
Hi All!

So awesome to hear about everyone's updates! GREAT JOB ON A WHOLE 30, LIZ!!!!

and WELCOME Amandapdx!!

It was a rather hard weekend for Hubs, he is feeling rather lost and unsure of what to eat/how to eat now. Part of what he misses is the exploration and adventure of trying new things/places (a new Thai place opened in Sept. He loves Thai and for our area its pretty exciting. He also doesn't seem to be doing super well on just Whole 30 foods. He had one week out of the whole thing where he was in "Tiger Blood" mode - but the rest of it he has really been struggling with energy levels.

Everything he is comfortable cooking are grain/carb heavy so he wants to get in the kitchen and cook and feels bad because I am doing all the cooking and he really misses doing it all together. Got out of the funk a bit by making some tasty sundried tomato, basil and roasted red pepper burgers on lettuce leaf buns and chicken wings together. Not totally healthy, but compliant and seemed to have done the trick for now.

Also, I've been doing lots of research into sugar and cancer and all of that which has just depressed him further and we have been struggling with how to navigate his family. Despite having mentioned every time we see her that we aren't eating sugar, out of all the kids his Grandma asked us to bake a cake for Sunday's dinner for his mom's birthday. His mom "beat" according to conventional doctors, breast cancer a few years ago. She shouldn't be having sugar, we shouldn't be feeding her sugar. We know better. She should know better.

Yesterday we spent a few hours trying to find a naturally sweetened cake recipe that we could make so it would at least be not as bad. I gave up. Even a lot of the Paleo recipes have very high sugar content. I decided to make my own so I used fully compliant ingredients except for a little buckwheat. It actually turned out REALLY GOOD - except it won't pass muster with his family and we both know it. I would love to introduce his parents into this lifestyle, but it won't happen and chocolate is something that she loves so much, I don't think this would be the way to introduce her to it....So do we make a slightly more healthy, but still horrible cake for her?

I am so impressed by everyone who is navigating family, holidays, travel, birthdays, scales...you are all so inspiring, I love it, keep it up!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:56:16 AM by swick »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2015, 08:08:58 AM »
Y'all are inspirational with sticking to this through dinners out, visits to families and nights on the Vegas strip.  I'm totally humbled!

I'm not quite as badass, but with encouragement from this thread, I packed a cooler full of paleo foods and will be bringing it along on my 3-night work trip this week.  I'm traveling by car with several other people, so it may be a little awkward, but I'm going to make it work.  I have to travel again the two following weeks and if I don't do this I'm going to be a total wreck by the end of it.

I have a half marathon and my birthday dinner November 7th, so I'm planning to jump into this all the way on November 8th!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Sorry to hear hubby is struggling, Swick. I know mine would be the same. Carbs define his diet and it will take a radical mindset shift to change that. One good thing for me is that I am the shopper and cook and he will eat whatever I serve up. I remember you saying that potatoes helped -perhaps he needs them and other root vege on a daily basis? I have to keep reminding myself that everyone's body seems to run differently and we need to find solutions that allow for that so that everyone thrives.  I sympathise with your plight around the birthday cake. My feeling is that you need to lead by example rather than enforcing change on others -especially around culturally important matters like birthdays. Let your family see the amazing changes in you and they'll start asking how they can get there too. I don't think healthier cakes will do it! But I know it is hard because all around us people are literally killing themselves with their food choices and I often want to shake them and shout "Are you crazy giving your five year old Coca Cola!" . But then I remember that I'm nearly 40 and only now getting my shit together and this is a big focus in my life right now while others have other stuff going on...
Anyway,  to borrow Sailor Sam's phrase,  it is all rainbow pooping unicorns around here. My hormones must be changing because well, I woke up umm feeling frisky shall we say for the first time probably since having babies 6 years ago! A very unexpected and welcome development.  Am now plotting like an evil witch to sneakily change my families diet hopefully without them noticing. Hubby really enjoyed his scrambled eggs on a bed of spinach with smoked salmon and dill -just need to forget to put the toast with it. Hee hee hee (imagine rubbing gnarled witches hands together). Rock on everyone - you're all so great!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
Thank you swick!!!!  I am still trying to decide what I want to do post-Whole30 but I know I will continue to post here:)

Yum 1967mama ~ Your chicken wraps look delicious! My boyfriend and I made fajitas last night and I used cabbage leaves as my "tortilla," so kind of similar to yours.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
Oh yes, super congratulations, Liz. Do stay with us and let us know where to now. Love the lettuce/cabbage wrap idea -will be employing it in my house.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
Ack! Sorry for the ginormous picture! Does anyone know how to shrink a photo? I uploaded it with imgur. I am not a techie. haha.

horsepoor - You are definitely a badass making a plan to stick with Whole30 on a 3 night trip! I will be looking for your notes as I have to go away one night this coming weekend, and 2 whole days. So far, I've got some prosciutto, lara bars, hard boiled eggs, raw fruit and vegetables, unsweetened applesauces, and nuts planned for the trip.

kiwisonya - I'd love to have a partner while I attempt a Whole90! Good luck on your Whole60! I find that I'm buying more fancy stuff, condiments, meats and so forth also, but I need to invest in my health so I can be around for my beautiful family for many years to come!

swick - I never thought about a connection between cancer and sugar. I'm going to be doing a little research on that! Do you have any saved links that you found particularly helpful? If so, do post them here :-) Thanks!

Breakfast for me was 2 poached eggs with a big handful of tiny tomatoes and a sliced avacado. Lunch was a big mixed veggie and lettuce salad and a chicken breast (all made for me by my fabulous daughter last night!), dinner for the kids is sweet and sour meatballs and rice so I will pull some meatballs out for myself and make some Whole30 ketchup too. Veggies on the side, or maybe a salad. Better get myself together and get off the internet and get this meal going! hahah!

Will be spending the evening waiting for election results up here in Canada!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »
Tonight, for the first time, I felt realllllllly hungry. I think I didn't eat enough in the afternoon. By 6pm, I was actually famished. I haven't felt that feeling in a very long time (chronic overeater/grazer). But I almost felt kind of panicky and had to find quick, compliant food. My daughter quickly thought to do us each a baked potato in the microwave. I slathered on the clarified butter, salt and pepper ... boy did that taste good! I had made sweet and sour meatballs over rice for the kids, so I cooked about 8 little meatballs for myself, just plain, and then while they cooked, I made another batch of compliant ketchup. That stuff is so good! This version had ACV in it .. yum!

I have had a lot of emotional stress in the last week with some teenager problems <sigh> and that was resolved last night. Wow, did I ever sleep like a log! I've been waiting for sleep like that to come, since I've read about it on some websites and the Whole3o book.

I finally got out there and did a little exercise for the first time since starting the program. I walked about 20 minutes around the block with my husband and also jogged home from my neighbour's house later in the day (we live on acreage). When I got home from the quick jog, I actually felt nauseous! I'm soooo out of shape and carrying all this extra weight too. I have a long way to go. I have to lose 38 lbs to be out of the obese category on the bmi charts, and move back into the just overweight catergory <sigh>. Yep, I'm gonna need a Whole90!

I continue to marvel at the smoothness of my teeth and can't wait for other exciting body and mind changes as I move through the weeks. I've NEVER been this excited about a program before, and have never ever had this kind of success! So encouraging to see immediate results .. so motivating. I've definitely not moved through The Timeline. Its all been good except one day of an upset tummy and multiple trips to the bathroom that day. Maybe the challenge of sticking to it will come later for me? or maybe in my 2nd round of Whole 30?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
1967, its so exciting to follow your journey on this thread.  I am rooting for you from Idaho!

I didn't mean to infer that I'm doing W30 while traveling this week, but did bring my food and trying to stay 80% primal/low carb.  Last night I went out to a sports bar with my coworkers and had a chicken salad with cheese and whatever soybean oil based dressing that came with it.  At least I picked off the tortilla strips that I asked them to leave off. Caved on the warm peanut butter cookies the hotel though.  Today I made tuna salad for lunch with guac, bell pepper and some baked squash with cantaloupe on the side.  Better than eating burgers and donuts and I won't come home heavier than when I left.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »
I found a post on r/keto forum that explains why scales are a terrible measurement tool, from a scientific instead of emotional standpoint. I know it's on the keto site, but don't be scared. The article speaks to all instances when people decrease carbs. I thought it might be applicable to the folks here. Enjoy.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »
Great work sticking to the plan through emotional turmoil, 1967mama. We are all cheering for you. I found myself wanting something sweet after dinner which is about feeding my over active sugar dragon. Gave myself some olives and pickles to snack on but quickly realised I was still full from dinner and the dragon didn't want salty so left them on the plate. Been feeling a bit shaky and light headed on Day 7 - think my body is just gearing up for some fat burning now it realises the sugar supply has been cut off. Thanks for the link Sailor Sam. I think I need to toss my scales as they are an ongoing issue and I know that it is emotionally crap for me to keep getting on them. Keep up the good work everyone.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
I have no energy today. I feel like I'm dragging a dead weight around. Nevermind -can't be all unicorns can it. Will try and have an afternoon snooze. Guess this is carb flu. Hope it clears soon:)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
KiwiSonya, based on the reading I've been doing, carb flu can be caused or worsened by misbalances in electrolytes. The necessity of adding sodium, potassium, and magneisum is highly accepted on keto sites, but doesn't seem to be mentioned on the Whole30 side.

You could try eating a couple bananas, and sprinkling 1/8th tsp salt into a cup of water. If you don't like bananas, you can try LoSalt, which is a mix of potassium and sodium. It's both low cost, and the perfect combination for low carb folks.

Per ususal, not a doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
I've been craving chinese foods for a LONG time, so for something special tonight, I made a paleo mu shu pork {pork, cabbage, egg, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, with ginger and coconut aminos} I made a W30 compliant hoisin sauce to go with it but honestly, it didn't even need it. The sauce recipe called for 3 medjool dates and the sauce seemed almost too sweet for me {but delicious}. I only used about a tablespoon of the sauce and my boyfriend used the rest. I can tell my tastebuds have changed!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
Thanks Sailor Sam, will try the banana and salt trick now. No cautions required for me -it's all one big experiment!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »
Sounds yum Liz. I know what you're saying about taste buds changing. This banana I'm eating tastes super sweet!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2015, 02:59:25 AM »
Thanks Sailor Sam, feeling much better after the banana. How are the rest if you doing? Ks

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »
I read a hilarious line in a Jim Gaffigan book the other night. He said, "I haven't been hungry in 12 years." That is so me! I love how I'm feeling full and then hungry again. New feeling for me, believe it or not!

Liz - I would love it if you could share your recipe for paleo mu shu pork. Sounds delicous!

Kiwisonya - Are you feeling better from your carb flu? I went and looked that up - interesting! Thanks for the support on the emotional junk I was going through last week. Soooo much better now!

Sailorsam - I have been adding sea salt to things like eggs and tomatoes and so with your helpful information, I will keep on doing so.

Horsepoor - Thanks for the support - how did your trip go? What foods did you take that were compliant? My trip is this weekend.

I was wondering, out of interest, what day of the Whole30 (or other program) everyone is on? I'm on Day 14 (day 17 with 2 restarts). I'm planning on another Whole30 with a one day break in between.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
Glad the salt and banana suggestion was helpful to folks.

'67mama, I'm on day 25. Typing that out makes me realize I should come up with a post-whole30 plan. I've been putting the decision off, but that strategy isn't going to work much longer.

I could stay in ketosis, which means my food choices wouldn't change very much from the Whole30 plan. I like the way I feel in ketosis, but do occasionally feel restricted. And, oddly enough, I don't want too lose too much weight. I've found that 10 lb drops are sustainable. Trying to lose more in a single round of dieting has always resulted in re-expansion. I'm not sure if the issue is physiological or psychological, but the phenomenon is real.

Right now, I have a vague plan to try and find the exact level of carbs that will maintain my current weight. I'll probably add potatoes and legumes back, while still avoiding sugar like the plague. In three months, or so I'll go back into ketosis and try to lose another 10 lbs.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
Hi folks, feeling much better today. Luckily, as I spent the morning running around with 15 under 5 year olds (Playcentre -which is parent run early childhood education). Interesting to hear about your post Whole30 plans. It's great to have you mentoring us! 1967mama, glad you are through the teenage problems, well, for now anyway. I'm Round 2, Day 8. Was offered temptations at Playcentre but no way sm I starting from scratch again!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
1967mama, I am on day 2 of my second whole 30 with a week break in between. My partner is joining me this time round and he does not have any weight to lose, so we are trying to be a little more systematic about the whole thing. Also, I am cooking a lot more then I usually do. I actually paid for a meal plan service (realplans). So far the food has been great and it is bumping me out of some cooking ruts, but it will take some fine tuning to scale it to an amount of kitchen time that is sustainable for me.