Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427064 times)

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2250 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Cool!  Hope you see the changes you're looking for.

All in all the W30 is going well for me too.   I had a huge craving for sweets, so I gorged a bit on a carton of blueberries, and no such cravings since.  This week I'm eating sauteed green beans with onion and garlic, steamed kale, pork sausage, salmon, pan fried hamburger with everything, and I have a few salads mixed up as well.

Oh I just got so hungry reading your food line up! I'm on Day 22 and I've been getting tired of making the same old things. I've also noticed my vegetable intake is pretty non-existent aside from the occasional salad, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and roasted carrots. I'm going to make it a priority to try some new recipes this upcoming week and bump up the veggies.

bluewater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2251 on: November 02, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
Late to the party but just finished up my first whole30!  Had some red wine as my first intro and went fine and I'm moving to some legumes next. Question for the group: Do I need to wait to reintroduce legumes, grains and gluten before having some more wine?  Social situations were the most difficult for me being the non drinker at a party so it would be nice to have a drink this weekend. Thanks all!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #2252 on: November 02, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
HI Everyone!
I am jumping on board to hopefully try W30 in the new year!
Through my former Crossfit Gym (that I miss SO SO SO much) we did a program called the Performance Nutrition Challenge that was essentially Whole 30.  Since I'm a vegetarian (that occasionally eats fish) they had, however, given me permission to eat garbonzo beans at the point- and no other beans.  I loved the program, felt great, and repeated the cycle about 3 or 4 times before kind of settling into a "loose" paleo way of eating.  Unfortunately, it's gotten TOO loose and I'm ready to tackle some of these digestive problems via diet..
Has anyone else successfully tried Whole 30 who is not a meat eater and not broken the bank with seafood?  I really want to give it a solid go, but I can't afford to buy salmon or tuna every week and wanted to get some insight.  I eat eggs.

*Please note, I'm not looking for "you should just eat meat" advice here.  I am not really an 'ethical' vegetarian, and I have tried to force myself to eat meat about a dozen times since I stopped 24 years ago.  I just haaaaate it, all of it.  I gag at the flavor and texture, it makes me feel tired and sick (yes, even grassfed) and it's like constantly trying to force someone who doesn't like Brussel sprouts (but likes lots of other veggies and otherwise has a well balanced diet) to choke down Brussel sprouts.  K, had to get that mention out of the way...thanks.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
I am currently finishing the clear out of non-compliant foods from my pantry and am going to sneak up on eating Whole 30.  My target date is January 1.  First challenge is to replace my peanut butter sandwich that I have every morning.  I bought some more eggs yesterday.  I'll start with the eggs today (ummm, with cheese for now).  I need to use up some lentils next.  And mostly, I need to start cooking vegetables.  Hope is that I can transition in the next 2 months.  Getting the Whole 30 cookbook from the library again is also on the list.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2254 on: November 04, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
HI Everyone!
I am jumping on board to hopefully try W30 in the new year!
Through my former Crossfit Gym (that I miss SO SO SO much) we did a program called the Performance Nutrition Challenge that was essentially Whole 30.  Since I'm a vegetarian (that occasionally eats fish) they had, however, given me permission to eat garbonzo beans at the point- and no other beans.  I loved the program, felt great, and repeated the cycle about 3 or 4 times before kind of settling into a "loose" paleo way of eating.  Unfortunately, it's gotten TOO loose and I'm ready to tackle some of these digestive problems via diet..
Has anyone else successfully tried Whole 30 who is not a meat eater and not broken the bank with seafood?  I really want to give it a solid go, but I can't afford to buy salmon or tuna every week and wanted to get some insight.  I eat eggs.

*Please note, I'm not looking for "you should just eat meat" advice here.  I am not really an 'ethical' vegetarian, and I have tried to force myself to eat meat about a dozen times since I stopped 24 years ago.  I just haaaaate it, all of it.  I gag at the flavor and texture, it makes me feel tired and sick (yes, even grassfed) and it's like constantly trying to force someone who doesn't like Brussel sprouts (but likes lots of other veggies and otherwise has a well balanced diet) to choke down Brussel sprouts.  K, had to get that mention out of the way...thanks.

Here are the vegetarian W30 recommendations:  https://whole30.com/2017/06/veg-whole30/

I am curious if you know the reasoning behind allowing chickpeas but no other legumes?  I have found lentils and black beans to be less problematic.  Kidney beans are the one thing I've essentially eliminated from my diet as a result of W30.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2255 on: November 04, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
Late to the party but just finished up my first whole30!  Had some red wine as my first intro and went fine and I'm moving to some legumes next. Question for the group: Do I need to wait to reintroduce legumes, grains and gluten before having some more wine?  Social situations were the most difficult for me being the non drinker at a party so it would be nice to have a drink this weekend. Thanks all!

No problem with that plan, go have fun and drink some wine!  You want to avoid introducing two or more things at once, and it can take a day or two before you notice the effects, so if you just had your first wine, I'd stick to wine only this weekend, and as long as it's still fine then move to a serving of beans next week.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2256 on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »

Eat a LOT of eggs.  Buy cheaper fish like Tilapia instead fresh salmon.  If you do get Tuna and Salmon, look at the canned versions which are a fair price and much easier to prepare.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2257 on: January 29, 2018, 03:19:24 PM »
My start date slipped to January 28, but I was compliant.  I just had some really good almond based pesto spread/dip on a baked potato.  Then I saw that is has Braggs amino acids in it, which are soy based.  So, I'm thinking it is a no-go?  I have at least broken the couple of times a day peanut butter sandwich by not buying more or more bread when I ran out a week or so ago.  Also found I love zoodles.  I never ate zucchini much before, but my spiralizer is changing that. I plan to go to February 28, so I have a bit of time to slip up here at the beginning.

I did whimper a bit as I walked out of Walmart with my bag of carrots past the table of Girl Scout cookies that they were hawking.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2258 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
I may be talking to myself on this thread for awhile.  I restart today, and my 30 days will be up on February 28.  I know the spread with the Braggs in it also has grapeseed oil.  I planned to end on the 28th anyway, so I'll stay compliant now.  I had eggs fried in olive oil and Wholly Guacamole on the side.  Plans today are to get some veggies in and some meat, and to check out a halal grocery I found on Google maps to see what they may have.  The point of this for me is to eat better and learn to cook more things that keep me from the fast food and quick not healthy pattern I have had previous to this.

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #2259 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:07 AM »
Don't worry, you're not talking to yourself!  I am gearing up to do my third Whole30 but February includes a ski holiday (so tough to avoid Fondue...), March might work better. Or I just accept that I can't do a perfect W30 this time - it would still be better than my horrible eating pattern at the moment.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2260 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »
I managed to stay compliant for Day 1.  Off to the races today.  I did realize that I need to drink a lot more water.  This is something I remind everyone who comes to the desert to visit, but guess I haven't been taking my own advice.

I made vegetables including zoodles and a couple of pork chops last night.  I'm out of eggs, so breakfast will be grapefruit and a bananna, and then eggs and guacamole for lunch.  I'm using up stuff in my current stash of food.  I may get more exotic once it is used up.  I need to get the Whole 30 Cookbook from the library today as well.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2261 on: January 31, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
This is close enough to my plan that I will jump in. I am working on more South Beach/ Mediterranean, as I realized I am just not ready to give up yogurt or nuts.

I have been plagued with a series of minor complaints for at least six months and a recent bio screening suggests I may have developed diabetes (currently awaiting A1C results). Evidently, a steady diet of fast food isn't providing proper nutrition?

I did my big grocery shop last night, so it is just a matter of preparing so that I have food with me when I am out and about.

For this morning's breakfast, I prepped enough veggies for tomorrow, as well. We really need to replace our containers so that we can store more prepped food. As it is, I had to split a cup of veggies between two half cup containers.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2262 on: January 31, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
Nuts are allowed.  Yogurt is not.  I sadly had to request the Mom give away my favorite flavor of yogurt she had gotten for me to eat while visiting.  It wouldn't have reliably lasted the month (one way or another...).  So far I'm not having issues staying with the plan.  This will change as time goes on I'm sure.

I'm packing away the staples I currently have that are not allowed.  I have SO MUCH sugar in various forms.  I should find d someone to take some of it.