Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427067 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2200 on: May 09, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »

As long as we stick to the rules for 30 days, the effects of elimination on the stuff we cut still works, right?

yes-ish...Dairy can cause a whole host of issues though, breathing sinus congestion, sore throat, phlegm build-up, headaches, indigestion, heartburn, tummy upset....

So even if you have a very mild issue with dairy it can make isolating anything else you have issues with harder. The idea is to reset your whole system so you can get accurate data.

Kimchi (watch ingredients) pickles, sour kraut, Kombucha are all good ways of getting some good little bacteria into your system.

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #2201 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
It's only 30 days without dairy. So, if all goes well, you will have more than 180 days left (assuming you finish the W30 by end June) to enjoy your Greek yogurt this year. 

polarama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2202 on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
Posting to join along.  I started my 2nd Whole30 on May 1st.  Weirdly, the food this 2nd time around seems harder than the first?  Or at least I'm just less creative?  I have been relying on a lot of "boring meals" -- every week I make a batch of compliant tomato/meat sauce and I eat that with zucchini for at least 4 meals (I really like it!).  I am also loving Mel Jouwan's sunshine sauce, so I have that with chicken and veggies a lot.   When I did Whole30 the first time, I think I made at least 5 new recipes a week!

But mentally, I feel good. I don't feel deprived or sad like I did the first time.  Last Friday we took a little work outing to this awesome sandwich shop, I went for the walk and the company and I wasn't even thinking about how I couldn't get a sandwich--was happy to come back to the office and eat my curry chicken salad for lunch.

This time around I also feel like I get random..hot flashes? Like I feel sweatier even though I'm not.  I'm definitely sleeping better so the NSVs are really inspiring!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #2203 on: May 27, 2017, 11:35:11 PM »
Ive been off and on all May. We went out of town and stayed in a condo with another family. They live on dairy and gluten, it seems like :) So we had family meals, and I modified mine, and added tons of veggies, but I still cheated some. Dairy seems like my worst reaction-stuffed nose, sinus pain, scalp issues and sometimes itching attacks everywhere. I thought I did really well, actually, but I had gained 8 lbs in 6 days. I immediately returned to w30 (+ corn chips) have been dropping about 1 lb a day since. I think its general inflammation. When Im strict, I consistently lose weight.

I was so frustrated, because a day or two before we left, I had reached a milestone of 50 lbs lost, and then seeing the scale after vacation...ugh. I even did a ton of walking that week, and swimming, too. Just drives home that dairy and grains arent my friends. Id like to still lose another 70 or 75 lbs, but I know its not going to work as the result of a diet, it has to be a lifestyle change. My hope is that the longer I eat this way, the more habituated I will be to it, and the less I will crave or want the things that make me feel bad.

in some respects, this is already true. My mindset has changed a lot wrt what to eat for meals, packing lunches, etc. no more sandwiches with bread, muffins, or cereal for breakfast or a snack. I am making better choices and better choices more often over all.

I enjoy reading this thread and everyones posts about their experiences and process. Thanks for being here and sharing!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2204 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
I figured I'd check in 30 days post W30, now that I've fleshed out the "riding my own bike" stuff.  The only problems I found with re-intros was legumes.  It's still on my list to try peanut butter or peanuts again, just to make sure, but every time I contemplate the headachy potential, I have some excuse for why now isn't a convenient time for that. 

So dairy, gluten, and grains are back in, though I eat less cheese and bread than before.  And thankfully, after a couple weeks my poop got back to normal, which it wasn't during W30.

Habits I'm keeping:
1. Minimal sugar.  Aside from small sugar in condiments, bacon, etc, and the ice cream on my Sunday waffles (definitely in the "worth it" category for me), I steer clear.  I didn't eat a lot before, but now my only dessert is fruit.
2.  Avoid processed foods.  I'm making my own meatballs, sausage, and whole wheat bread, since none are too hard, and it beats the processed crap with ingredients I can't control. 
3. Eating template.  I'm keeping up the veggie volumes, but I do have grains back in on occasion.
4.  Cooking fats.  I'm straight olive and coconut oil now, plus I use butter.  Canola, soybean, etc. are gone.

I haven't lost any further weight.  In fact I think I might have gained back a few pounds.  Did W30 change my life?  I'd say no, as I ate pretty healthy before, and felt pretty good.  But if was an interesting experience.  And who knew legumes didn't agree with me?

I'm curious with some of the others how the re-intros went and any discoveries. Dying to know if Trifele can eat tomatoes.  :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2205 on: May 29, 2017, 04:02:20 AM »
Great to hear you are back to normal Weedy!

I am more than a month post-W30 and still doing reintroductions.  Haven't done tomatoes yet.   I had some rough experiences with the introductions and learned the hard way that for the iffy ones I need to do those on a weekend -- not on a work day -- in case I get really sick.  Tomatoes and peppers are high on my list of risky re-entries.  I think tomatoes will be next weekend. 

So far -- eggs are out.  That one took a long time, because after my initial bad reaction to the eggs, I had to take a few days to re-set, then I tried just egg whites, and then duck eggs.   Answer -- I can handle a small amount of egg white, but big no on the whole duck eggs, similar reaction to chicken eggs.  So I will be ok eating baked goods that contain egg white, in moderation.  But no whole eggs of any kind.

My other big result from re-intros was a week ago when I tried to add back peanut butter.  Holy shit was that an awful scene.  I ate some before work, and then ended up vomiting and having horrible diarrhea a couple hours later.  I felt sick for two days after that.   Definite, absolute no on the peanuts.  Wow.

Here's the thing I wonder about though . . . I was eating peanuts before, so obviously I had built up my 'defenses' against them.   Is it possibly a bad thing that I have now lowered those defenses?   Have I actually weakened myself?  Or is it a good thing to eliminate a food like that because it is doing low-level damage to you, even after you reach a point of tolerance?

Onward!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2206 on: May 29, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
Great to hear you are back to normal Weedy!

I am more than a month post-W30 and still doing reintroductions.  Haven't done tomatoes yet.   I had some rough experiences with the introductions and learned the hard way that for the iffy ones I need to do those on a weekend -- not on a work day -- in case I get really sick.  Tomatoes and peppers are high on my list of risky re-entries.  I think tomatoes will be next weekend. 

So far -- eggs are out.  That one took a long time, because after my initial bad reaction to the eggs, I had to take a few days to re-set, then I tried just egg whites, and then duck eggs.   Answer -- I can handle a small amount of egg white, but big no on the whole duck eggs, similar reaction to chicken eggs.  So I will be ok eating baked goods that contain egg white, in moderation.  But no whole eggs of any kind.

My other big result from re-intros was a week ago when I tried to add back peanut butter.  Holy shit was that an awful scene.  I ate some before work, and then ended up vomiting and having horrible diarrhea a couple hours later.  I felt sick for two days after that.   Definite, absolute no on the peanuts.  Wow.

Here's the thing I wonder about though . . . I was eating peanuts before, so obviously I had built up my 'defenses' against them.   Is it possibly a bad thing that I have now lowered those defenses?   Have I actually weakened myself?  Or is it a good thing to eliminate a food like that because it is doing low-level damage to you, even after you reach a point of tolerance?

Onward!

I've wondered/worried about this myself. I'm going to try my best to type out the thoughts/findings on this stuff, so you guys can pick apart my thoughts and help me understand this too!
For some things, like dairy, we know the body up or down regulates enzymes based on the level of use they're getting. So some people will have a lactose-intolerance like reaction to large quantities of dairy when first re-introduced, but smaller intro's or subsequent ones won't have the same reaction. Think when vegetarians first come back to eating meat as an example as well. This is a question of downregulation of enzymes, so no real damage going on long term. But the symptoms are pretty classically 'low enzyme/wrong bacteria', ie, gas and GI distress. Things like foggy headedness, headaches, acne, sleep disturbances, none of that should flow from a low enzyme situation since there isn't really any mechanism I can fathom there. Oh, another great example here is people who eat beans who don't often- 'beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot', and yet people who consume beans often and at high levels do NOT have gas at higher rates than other people. I think this mainly applies to foods that require special enzymes to break them down, in particular 'difficult' proteins to break down. Something like taking out JUST spinach, but keeping other leafy greens, shouldn't in theory produce a GI reaction like taking out dairy would, because the machinery would not downregulate, since something similar still exists in the diet.
(Bacteria are also part of this, and they follow a similar although much more complicated up/downregulation pattern. This is key to people tolerating things like high levels of roughage consumption regularly, and also have been shown to respond to macro shifts- higher or lower carbs).
So then we have the other type of intolerance, immune-modulated intolerances. These are obviously the ones we're MOST concerned with. And as far as I know, the basic principal is that once an immune impression is there, most exposures more highly sensitizes you. So my thoughts are, JUST GI reactions mean I should do small amounts, stair step the quantities, and see if I tolerate it then. If I have any non-GI issues (rashes, cognitive changes, so on), then this to me points more to an immune modulated response and that indicates a true intolerance.

I would LOVE other people's thoughts on this as well, since I've just cobbled together the science and mechanisms in my brain to the best of my ability. I haven't found any good scientifically rigorous discussions on this topic directly, so nothing I'm able to just defer to =\

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2207 on: May 29, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
Hi Bracken_Joy

I think you did a nice job articulating this issue!  I think you may be right about there being two different issues here -- (1) the low/wrong enzyme issue which leads to some GI problems, and (2) Immune system responses, which I guess can take different forms.  My gut tells me (pun intended) that I have some of both going on during these reintroductions.  (For the record I have had true, immune-response food allergies since I was a kid.  I carefully avoid the foods I am allergic to, and in the past 40 years I have had a dangerous reaction/life-threatening situation three times -- all three times the result of eating food at a restaurant or a dish-to-pass situation, where I was not in control of the ingredients).  In my experience my food allergy symptoms are variable:  With some of them I get an immediate, go-to-the-hospital-right-now reaction of vomiting, diarrhea, wheezing, swelling, etc.   With other foods I am allergic to, nothing happens immediately, but there is a delayed reaction of itching and hives that shows up about 1-2 days later. 

On these W30 reintroductions, I'd say the gluten grains was category #1 -- I felt a bit bloated and gassy, but not sick per se.  I am chalking that up to an enzyme issue.  I have been building back up the amount of wheat I eat and I feel fine.  For the eggs and the peanuts, on the other hand, I was sick -- putting those two into category #2.  I didn't have any respiratory issues, but with both I had nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.  Both of these responses felt to me like true allergy issues, with the peanuts worse than the eggs.

My whole reason for doing the Whole 30 was to identify some mystery food which was causing me severe itching and hives.  So far none of my re-introductions have caused itching or hives, but I suppose the eggs or the peanuts could have been the culprit.  I may just not have eaten them long enough on the reintroduction to cause the delayed hives reaction(?) Maybe my body just reacted with a faster immune response this time because of the W30 "re-set"(?)

These are tough issues to try to figure out.  And as far as I can tell, we are on our own.  From my researches on the web it does not look like anyone else has figured these things out . . .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:57:42 AM by Trifele »

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2208 on: May 30, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
Bracken, your explanation is more cogent than those in the W30 forums.  The typical answer is that the stomach has a "protective lining" that sheds when you eat W30, leaving your stomach more vulnerable when you re-intro.  They talk as though this linng is a bad thing.  The enzyme/bacteria explanation makes a bit more sense to me.

Trifele, here are some posts that exemplify the typical answers:
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/38374-bloating-stomach-cramps-after-reintroducing-greek-yogurt/
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/42349-oversensitivity-after-whole-30/
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/43326-typical-dairy-reintro-reaction-or-fodmap-complication/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:04:12 PM by Weedy Acres »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2209 on: June 14, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
Bracken, your explanation is more cogent than those in the W30 forums.  The typical answer is that the stomach has a "protective lining" that sheds when you eat W30, leaving your stomach more vulnerable when you re-intro.  They talk as though this linng is a bad thing.  The enzyme/bacteria explanation makes a bit more sense to me.

Trifele, here are some posts that exemplify the typical answers:
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/38374-bloating-stomach-cramps-after-reintroducing-greek-yogurt/
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/42349-oversensitivity-after-whole-30/
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/43326-typical-dairy-reintro-reaction-or-fodmap-complication/

Your stomach does have a protective lining...but if you "shed" it, ulcers are sure to follow. I definitely would not listen to medical explanations from those folks.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2210 on: June 17, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
Started Tuesday and it's going very well so far. Has definitely improved our desire to eat out - it's such a difficult landscape to navigate when someone else is cooking for you, just so much easier to skip it. Don't miss the alcohol, but I miss dairy. Seems pretty easy so far, our biggest challenge is finding compliant condiments. I will probably make a batch of homemade ketchup once the tomatoes come in. I think doing this in summer is a lot easier as there is a lot of great produce and fruit in season.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #2211 on: June 17, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »
I cannot for the life of me complete a second whole30. I did one, and my results were fantastic, but why oh why don't I want that for myself again?

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2212 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
I haven't had the chance to read through the 40+ pages here, but I have been feeling very blech lately and it often gets worse after I eat, so I think some resetting is in order, so I'm going to give this a go.  I also haven't been doing as well as I wanted to on the cutting back alcohol front, so I think it's good to go cold turkey for a bit. 

I still have more reading to do, but I think I'm going to personally make the modification of not following the "no legumes" rule.  First, most of my meals are vegetarian and dropping beans might be too restrictive.  Second, based on my personal experience, I do not feel good after eating meat but feel excellent after a bean-heavy meal, so it isn't high on my list of "potentially suspicious" foods.  Open to good reasons why I shouldn't do this, though. 

jordanread

« Reply #2213 on: June 19, 2017, 05:15:01 AM »
LadyStache's comment just made me a bit curious about something. What is the mindset/experience you all had during the course of the Whole30? I've seen some pleasure with the results, and the things learned, but I haven't seen much about the journey itself. It seems to me that many people are sucking it up and doing this to either try it, or to get to some end result.

I know this is a touch different than standard voluntary discomfort, since the Whole30 is designed to be more temporary, but I've just got this sense that people do Whole30 in spite of the restrictions, not embracing them for 30 days. Also, there is the whole timeline thing in which your body is adjusting, and Tiger Blood isn't the first step. So how many people have jumped into this with a super fun outlook, stoked to try experimenting, and the end result was also cool?

I know that I had a blast doing my Whole20 or whatever abbreviated version I did, mostly because coming up with new recipes without my "go-to's" was hard, but "Dammit! I can make something great!".

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #2214 on: June 24, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
Started a new W30 Thursday! This time my best friends (a married couple J &M) are doing it too! They are scientists and so excited to examine their relationship with food and figure out their food reactions. I am so excited to have real life friends along on this ride. The 3 of us are super interested in experimenting with our diets and charting how we react to certain foods.

Another bonus: I am about to go back to work on July 3 (after a 3 month LOA) so I figured now is the time to take action. Since my last W30 attempt I got married and got gifted: A Ninja blender, a kitchen aid mixer and an InstaPot. We also bought a veggie spiralizer.

Day 1-3: Going super well. I got foods from Wegmans, our new Trader Joe's and The Fresh Market. I had a lot of the oil and fat staples from my last try. Decided to try new ingredients I don't ever buy so I got coconut aminos, riced cauliflower, cabbage, compliant prosciutto, cashew butter and artichoke hearts to try out. I also am loving avocados now :D Swapping recipes with J&M rocks since they inspire me to try new foods and we're all great cooks. It's very fun and supportive. They're coming to spend all of tomorrow with us so it'll be a  W30 extravaganza with fresh pineapple in lieu of a birthday cake.

So far my only negative was a caffeine headache the last few day although today it is much better. Only thing I miss is not having any form of cracker or chip for my cashew butter and salsas. I tried celery and cashew butter and could only manage a few bites. So a great start overall. :)

jordanread: My mindset this time is "aww yessss IRL support buddies and recipe swaps. Going to hit that 30 days or else"

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2215 on: June 28, 2017, 05:05:27 AM »
Final update here -- Just finished my last reintroduction (from the W30 I started on March 17.  I did very slow, individual re-introductions, trying to identify the cause of allergy symptoms).   Tomatoes and peppers went fine.  No problems.  Very relieved, as I dearly love them both!

So I believe my allergy symptoms were probably caused by peanuts/peanut butter.   I am eliminating those forever.

Thank you to the group who supported me through that!  I really appreciate it. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2216 on: June 28, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »
I haven't had the chance to read through the 40+ pages here, but I have been feeling very blech lately and it often gets worse after I eat, so I think some resetting is in order, so I'm going to give this a go.  I also haven't been doing as well as I wanted to on the cutting back alcohol front, so I think it's good to go cold turkey for a bit. 

I still have more reading to do, but I think I'm going to personally make the modification of not following the "no legumes" rule.  First, most of my meals are vegetarian and dropping beans might be too restrictive.  Second, based on my personal experience, I do not feel good after eating meat but feel excellent after a bean-heavy meal, so it isn't high on my list of "potentially suspicious" foods.  Open to good reasons why I shouldn't do this, though.

You may have found it by now, but there is a vegetarian Whole30 shopping list here:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

One thing I learned from my first, albeit imperfect, round, was that certain beans agree with me, but kidney beans do not, and I avoid them now.  From the reading I've done, the smaller beans and lentils are better, so it might be worth cutting out any favas, kidney or lima beans and their ilk for a bit and seeing if you react to them any differently than the smaller legumes.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2217 on: July 02, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »
I just popped back in to see if anyone had updated.  So glad to hear from Trifele that tomatoes are ok. 

I did try peanut butter and also black beans (in a wonderful salsa I make) and was fine with both.  So I'm now thinking that it was just the hummus.  Or possibly the tahini in the hummus. 

I'm now working on a friend who eats crap and she and her kids are always sick.  I'm encouraging her to eat more veggies and have her over regularly to teach her how to cook them. She told me she suffers from extreme constipation and is always taking laxatives.  I gave her a piece of homemade whole wheat bread and it cleaned her right out.  How some people suffer so long with the repercussions of a crappy diet I'll never know.

Good luck to those of you newly entering the W30 experiment!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2218 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
A couple things:

1. Husband and I will be embarking on our second whole30 soon. My skin was the best it's ever been on w30, and he leaned out a lot (impressive, since our baseline diet is already very good and he's extremely active/fit). We're still TTC, too, and it's an "easy" option for feeling like we're doing something to help.

2. Trader Joe's currently has a whole30 compliant chocolate bar, depending on your take on the 'rules'. Anywhoo, it's "Montezuma's 100% cocoa solids Dark Chocolate Absolute Black with Cocoa Nibs". It has zero stabilizers, etc, containing only chocolate liquor and cocoa nibs. Tastes a bit like bitter dirt, but hey, it's chocolate and it will sure as hell not set off a sugar craving ;) haha. I'm not a big fan, but husband likes it a lot now, so YMMV.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2219 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
Ohh, I'm going to check out those chocolate bars!  I have been eating Bakers brand 100% which is, shall we say.. an "acquired" taste.

I have been meaning to do a W30 soon, too.  I had surgery a few weeks ago and have been having a hard time getting around, so I've been having more meals out of convenience instead of health.  I finally made it to the store though!  I have all weekend to cook, so I will start my W30 Saturday, July 15 and my last day will be Monday, Aug 14.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2220 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
I think the plan is next week, we'll do 'w30 lite' and start transitioning to/using up other foods (already doing this to a degree). Then we have a week long trip, where there will be communal meals, so food options will be hosed. Then we'll get back home and do a w30 for real.

One of my big goals this time is I want to see if I can reach "Wahls Protocol" levels of veggies =) This means- 9 cups of veggies. 3 green, 3 cruciferous, 3 colorful. I've actually achieved this at times in the past, but it's dropped way off over the years!

Other challenge will be more diversity in foods this time. I do like the meals plans we did last time, and a couple of those dishes have actually stayed in our permanent rotation, but that means we'll be more prone to get tired of them this time! This'll take some planning!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2221 on: July 15, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
Wow that's a lot of veg!  The only times I've thought I hit those requirements were when I was eating quite a bit of squash or berries (I think Terri counts colorful fruits towards the 3 cups).  I do hit the greens requirement and cruciferous on most days through my lunch salad.  It's great to have a tough goal like that, will you try to hit it each 24 hour period or are you aiming to reach that level on average?

My first day is going great.  Eggs and sauerkraut down the hatch for first meal, then cooked up kale & chard with onion and garlic, pre-prepared three huge salads (2x 2.5qt and 1x 3qt container), put seasoned Brussels sprouts & zucchini in the oven, and prepped a 3.5lb salmon with lemon and rosemary which is waiting to go in when they are done.  I have a lb of pork sausage thawing which I'll use next week to cook a 12 egg frittata with veg, 1.5lb beef heart thawing to roast with onions, carrots, & celery next week, and a few yams I'll roast at some point this weekend. 

Stocked household staples include sauerkraut, kimchi, olives, carrots/celery, onions, yams, lots of frozen veg and berries, canned fish, cooking and eating oils, 100% dark chocolate, raw mixed nuts, and a variety of dried herbs and spices.  Also looking at a bag of granny smith apples and a lb of strawberries on the counter.  I was late getting my tomatoes in this year but they are ripening, and I will be drowning in them within the next few weeks.  Anybody have a good W30 compliant tomato dominant recipe they'd like to share?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2222 on: July 15, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »
Wow that's a lot of veg!  The only times I've thought I hit those requirements were when I was eating quite a bit of squash or berries (I think Terri counts colorful fruits towards the 3 cups).  I do hit the greens requirement and cruciferous on most days through my lunch salad.  It's great to have a tough goal like that, will you try to hit it each 24 hour period or are you aiming to reach that level on average?

My first day is going great.  Eggs and sauerkraut down the hatch for first meal, then cooked up kale & chard with onion and garlic, pre-prepared three huge salads (2x 2.5qt and 1x 3qt container), put seasoned Brussels sprouts & zucchini in the oven, and prepped a 3.5lb salmon with lemon and rosemary which is waiting to go in when they are done.  I have a lb of pork sausage thawing which I'll use next week to cook a 12 egg frittata with veg, 1.5lb beef heart thawing to roast with onions, carrots, & celery next week, and a few yams I'll roast at some point this weekend. 

Stocked household staples include sauerkraut, kimchi, olives, carrots/celery, onions, yams, lots of frozen veg and berries, canned fish, cooking and eating oils, 100% dark chocolate, raw mixed nuts, and a variety of dried herbs and spices.  Also looking at a bag of granny smith apples and a lb of strawberries on the counter.  I was late getting my tomatoes in this year but they are ripening, and I will be drowning in them within the next few weeks.  Anybody have a good W30 compliant tomato dominant recipe they'd like to share?

Your food prep sounds delicious!

Cherry tomatoes or slicers? For cherry, I'm partial to greek salad style things. I shared my greek dressing on here once before I think, if not I'll type it up again. I like doing a salad with like-
lettuce or baby spinach, artichoke hearts, chicken, greek dressing, kalamata olives, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, whatever I have on hand/I'm feeling =)
Example recipe: http://fedandfit.com/2013/02/21/paleo-greek-salad/

For slicers or paste, I tend to do a lot of salsa, chili, tomato sauce, all the good stuff.
For chili, here's my favorite whole 30 recipe: http://www.bakerita.com/paleo-chili/ although I don't put the broth in, I think it's the right consistency without, but I'm in the "stand my spoon up" camp of chili thickness =D

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2223 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »

I'm growing a cherry, a slicer, and a paste.  I'm used to the cherry and will be using that for salads and on eggs.  I usually have trouble using all of my slicers, and this plant is really setting on heavy, so I will need to be trying that chili recipe and making salsa for sharing.  Never done a paste before but planning on making some sauces and some freezing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2224 on: July 15, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »

I'm growing a cherry, a slicer, and a paste.  I'm used to the cherry and will be using that for salads and on eggs.  I usually have trouble using all of my slicers, and this plant is really setting on heavy, so I will need to be trying that chili recipe and making salsa for sharing.  Never done a paste before but planning on making some sauces and some freezing.

Let me know how it goes! We're still weeks off from big tomatoes, and it's been a decade since I've grown any! (Except a volunteer, VERY prolific cherry tomato last year, but those aren't hard to use!).

Definitely let me know the best recipes you find and everything. I eventually want to get away from the BPA in canned tomatoes issue by doing my own.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2225 on: July 17, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »
So DH just found out he has high blood pressure. 150/100. Very scary! There's a diet called the DASH diet that is specifically for high blood pressure. But I know there's a lot of people whose numbers have lowered with the whole30/paleo.

Anybody know where to point me to see any research? I'd just love to see some research that says x% of people lowered their blood pressure through a whole30 diet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2226 on: July 17, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
So DH just found out he has high blood pressure. 150/100. Very scary! There's a diet called the DASH diet that is specifically for high blood pressure. But I know there's a lot of people whose numbers have lowered with the whole30/paleo.

Anybody know where to point me to see any research? I'd just love to see some research that says x% of people lowered their blood pressure through a whole30 diet.

Unfortunately, I really doubt you'd find research like that! You might be able to find anecdotal accounts and poll data, but for a study to 'count', there would have had to be observer oversight of diet and a clinician to take the BP, etc. And with the exception of medically formulated diets, like DASH, specific diets just really aren't studied.

That being said, a lot of the reasons people see lowered BP on DASH is the same as Whole 30. Cutting out processed foods which results in reduced sodium intake, weight loss which improves all sorts of labs, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and so on. Some of the big differences- DASH restricts fat quite a bit (lean protein only) while Whole 30 does not. DASH also restricts sodium REALLY strictly, while whole 30 does not (although it'll be lower than a standard american diet anyway, because our main sodium intake is via breads/rolls/cereals). Finally, whole 30 eliminates legumes and grains, whereas DASH does not.

One of the big issues with DASH is a really low patient compliance rate, which makes sense when you look at it- low fat and super low salt, where is your flavor? So as long as his doctor didn't PRESCRIBE the DASH diet, I think whole 30 could be a good alternative that might feel less (or at least differently) restrictive.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2227 on: July 17, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »

I'd suggest trying it and seeing what his personal results are, as ultimately that's the only thing that matters.  Paleo diet is significantly easier to adhere to than W30 (I think only the craziest of the diehard crown do a W30 for 365 days a year).  I would recommend starting with 30 days of paleo and seeing how it goes, then do a W30 later if you're inclined to.  Here are a few articles that explain how a paleo type diet and lifestyle changes may lower blood pressure, and contain links to research.  Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

https://chriskresser.com/how-and-why-to-lower-your-blood-pressure-naturally/
https://chriskresser.com/pills-or-paleo-reversing-high-blood-pressure/
https://chriskresser.com/6-ways-to-lower-blood-pressure-by-changing-your-diet/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/salt-and-blood-pressure/

Bracken_Joy posted as I was typing this, I agree with the advice she is giving.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2228 on: July 17, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
Thanks Bracken Joy, Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, regarding it being less restrictive therefore easier to stick to.

In fact, along those lines, I'm thinking we'll keep dairy. Calcium helps balance sodium and take it out of your system, so the DASH diet recommends it. But I think we'll go full-fat versions, because I'm pretty sure the research HAS shown that fat isn't the enemy.

Also thinking of keeping beans and rice (as a side, rather than the main), because he loves those, and hey DASH says it's ok.

Basically going to work on veggies veggies veggies and fruit.

I know research hasn't been done (WHY THE F NOT?!), but anyone seen any comprehensive polls?

Thanks Hotstreak, you're posting while I'm typing, so I'll take a look right now! Definitely thinking we're going to go Paleo-Primal (which often includes dairy) to start.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2229 on: July 17, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »
Still reading, but anyone know how LONG it takes to see results? The medication he was just prescribed says 3 weeks. Is it the same for diet?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2230 on: July 17, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Still reading, but anyone know how LONG it takes to see results? The medication he was just prescribed says 3 weeks. Is it the same for diet?

This will really vary based on the person, unfortunately. If he carries a lot of extra weight, it may take until he sees a good 10% weight loss before you see major clinical parameters improve. It also depends on how his sleep is, and how much he walks and excercises... it all varies so much. Sorry there isn't any good answer there. From what I've seen online, a lot of people see improvements after 1-2 months of paleo for blood pressure.

Re: the dairy and legumes. It sounds like Primal might be a good one to look at. Marks Daily Apple being the main website for that (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) That's roughly how DH and I eat usually. Rice, some beans, some whole fat dairy but pretty much just fermented stuff, then the usual paleo host after that. The benefit to a whole 30 is to see if there are any food sensitivities also at play. Ex, from my whole 30, we found that I most likely have trouble with dairy. We're still investigating the extent of that. If he *does* have some sort of food intolerance, discovering it will certainly speed his health improvements.

Also re: the calcium, leafy greens actually have tons of calcium =) And that's where things like bone broths, bone-in seafood like sardines, and organ meats that paleo encourages can also be fantastic. Oh, and bivalves. All of those can be very high in minerals, no dairy required.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2231 on: July 18, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
On W30 I dropped 12 pounds in 14 days. I did another week (without a scale) then two non-compliant weeks (travelling for work, and trying to do W30 in a hotel is hard mode), gained back five after flying home, but it disappeared a day later after re-starting W30. So in my case, pretty fast. Mrs Axe lost 14 pounds in 30 days.

Part of the W30 diet is that you're not supposed to weigh yourself for 30 days, I assume because the weight loss is uneven and you don't obsess about it. I broke the rule because I was going on the road where I wouldn't have access to a scale.

Encourage you to go cold turkey on dairy for 30 days. I was very reticent to do it, too, but I think it was a strong contributor to my weight loss. I used to eat a lot of cottage cheese, milk, and cheese. It adds up fast and milk adds a lot of sugar (in the form of lactose) to your diet. We both feel a lot more mentally alert, less bloated, and get better sleep now.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2232 on: July 19, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
Those are awesome results! That would be really encouraging to DH if we can get some quick weight-loss results.

So I used to be really into this, and then with kids and everything, I started taking short cuts, less veggies, more flour tortilla quesadillas!

When I did a Whole30 as a healthy person to feel more healthy, it was a no-brainer. But as a cure for DH's high blood pressure, it's a little scary, especially when the scientifically-approved DASH diet is low fat, and all the conventional wisdom says be a vegetarian!

But as I've gotten back into the reading, it's all coming back to me.The scientific explanations are so compelling. Like converting the body from being a carb-burning machine to a fat-burning machine. Makes sense if you want to get fat out of the bloodstream!

So here goes. I've been telling DH everything I've learned over the years, and it's a little bizarre to be like, "yeah listen to me, not your doctor!", especially when we're dealing with a life-threatening condition.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack! Just gotta talk about it somewhere!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2233 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
Those are awesome results! That would be really encouraging to DH if we can get some quick weight-loss results.

So I used to be really into this, and then with kids and everything, I started taking short cuts, less veggies, more flour tortilla quesadillas!

When I did a Whole30 as a healthy person to feel more healthy, it was a no-brainer. But as a cure for DH's high blood pressure, it's a little scary, especially when the scientifically-approved DASH diet is low fat, and all the conventional wisdom says be a vegetarian!

But as I've gotten back into the reading, it's all coming back to me.The scientific explanations are so compelling. Like converting the body from being a carb-burning machine to a fat-burning machine. Makes sense if you want to get fat out of the bloodstream!

So here goes. I've been telling DH everything I've learned over the years, and it's a little bizarre to be like, "yeah listen to me, not your doctor!", especially when we're dealing with a life-threatening condition.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack! Just gotta talk about it somewhere!

I think a 45 page thread can handle a valuable discussion about health and well being! =P Honestly, I think the WHY of doing a whole 30 is so important. And a lot of people who have participated in the thread have been doing it for food sensitivity identification or general wellness. So it's pretty cool to see another reason, actually!

I hope if you guys do go forward with it, you'll post progress here! It's so great to read people's journeys with this.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2234 on: July 21, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »
Today marks the one week point of my W30, and so far things are going great.  Meal prep last weekend went well enough that I didn't have to cook any food this week, only re-heat, which is a huge time saver for me.  I'm still working through that batch of food and have some fresh vegetables and beef that I'll cook tonight, or later this weekend.  I've been doing a lot of pre-made salads lately.  At the start I was worried that food quality would decline, due to things wilting or becoming soggy in my containers, but actually it's worked out really well.

The major issue I was having was dry broccoli - I can't seem to eat more than a small head w/o something on it.  By putting the chopped broccoli and stalk at the bottom of the container with some dressing, I'm able to saturate it well.  On top of that goes all the other chopped vegetables & avocado, olives, etc., then lettuce/greens, lid, and in the fridge it goes.  The morning of I will grab the container and shake it to mix in the dressing, open the top and add meat and any last minute ideas + more dressing as needed, and toss is in my bag to take to work.  Today (Friday) I ate a salad that I made last Sunday, containing radish, cucumber, broccoli, kalamata olives, green pepper, tomato, avocado, chopped kale, baby greens, lettuce, salmon (added this morning), half a sweet potato (added this morning), olive oil, and a touch of balsamic vinegar.  Except for the tomatoes having been refrigerated, it was as good as the day I made it.  For anybody who's wanting to eat more salads but doesn't want to take the time to chop and mix every day, try making them ahead of time!  2.5qt containers are about right for a meal sized salad for an active adult.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2235 on: July 22, 2017, 08:01:37 PM »
Do you like cooked broccoli? My favorite way to eat broccoli is chopped huge and steamed with salt. mmmmm.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2236 on: July 24, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
I actually don't have much of a fondness for cooked broccoli.  I tend to add it to salads, or toss a few florets on top of left-overs for the last 30 seconds of re-heating.  I think I like the crunch.  I eat about 1.5-2 cups of florets any time I make a salad, and around 0.5 cup or so if I toss it on leftovers, so there's not much room in my diet for more broccoli.  I need some variety!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2237 on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Ugh! Sucking at life over here! So the biggest kink in our lovely whole30 lives is the children. You all know cooking this way tends to take a lot of effort: lots of chopping and trying new things. So then I make these beautiful masterpieces and the kids don't like it, so they stay hungry and I have to make them shitty food an hour later (cereal, P&Js, easy stuff). I've got 4 that are 5 and under, so you can imagine.

Any advice?

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2238 on: July 27, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Ugh! Sucking at life over here! So the biggest kink in our lovely whole30 lives is the children. You all know cooking this way tends to take a lot of effort: lots of chopping and trying new things. So then I make these beautiful masterpieces and the kids don't like it, so they stay hungry and I have to make them shitty food an hour later (cereal, P&Js, easy stuff). I've got 4 that are 5 and under, so you can imagine.

Any advice?

If you always make them the foods they want after an hour, they will continue to delay their meal by an hour in order to eat those foods.  When they get hungry enough (or understand you're not going to make those foods) they will be a lot more open to eating what they DO have access to.  I think it would be easier for you if you cleaned all of those things out of the cupboard to remove the temptation.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2239 on: July 27, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
+1. Kids won't starve; let them go a day without cereal and see what happens. They'll eat the masterpieces when they get hungry enough. You don't "have to" make them shitty food, you choose to.

We never forced our kid to eat; if she liked what we made, she ate it. If not, she didn't eat. She just turned 19 and is about as healthy and happy as you can get as a 19 year old woman. This may sound like a radical idea, but it isn't really. Make meals, ask your kids to eat them, if they don't, just wait 4-6 hours and try again with the next meal. They will come around.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2240 on: July 27, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Another thing you can do is serve food one item at a time.  Put the broccoli on their plate and don't serve the next thing until they eat it.  You can put foods they prefer towards the end of the meal.  They will see that they need to make it through the healthy stuff, and after they will be allowed to eat something they are more interested in.

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #2241 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:14 AM »
Don't give in - you have really young kids so starting now will make things better for everyone later one.  Keep it really simple.  Boiled eggs, raw carrots, cooked chicken, tomatoes etc.  If they don't eat what you serve, just put it back in the fridge.  Generally, they will copy each other, so if one refuses to eat, they all will.  But the shitty food cycle has to stop.  My 3 kids are great eaters and we have only ever served one menu (with some slight variations to allow for taste - eg one kid will basically throw up if I make him eat cauliflower :-))

BUT YOU DON'T SUCK AT LIFE!!!!  YOU ARE EXTREMELY BRAVE TO TRY A WHOLE 30 WHEN YOU MUST BE PERMANENTLY EXHAUSTED!!

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2242 on: July 28, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm currently on Day 15 of my first Whole 30!

I've previously attempted the Whole 30 a BUNCH of times, but never made it through the initial first few days. This time around didn't seem nearly as challenging, so I'm assuming my mindset has shifted and that I'm finally "ready" to succeed!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2243 on: July 28, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm currently on Day 15 of my first Whole 30!

I've previously attempted the Whole 30 a BUNCH of times, but never made it through the initial first few days. This time around didn't seem nearly as challenging, so I'm assuming my mindset has shifted and that I'm finally "ready" to succeed!

Hey marioarm2, welcome!  I'mlad to hear your W30 is going smoothly!  What made you want to try it, and what made this time so successful?  Are you looking to achieve anything in particular?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: July 29, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! My kids actually like broccoli and healthy food. They just don't like it when it's been chopped, diced, stirred, seasoned and made into a masterpiece. Stashing swiss-style is right, I need to have simple sides included in the meal so they have something that will appeal to them.

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2245 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

Hey marioarm2, welcome!  I'mlad to hear your W30 is going smoothly!  What made you want to try it, and what made this time so successful?  Are you looking to achieve anything in particular?

At some point I stumbled upon paleo eating, and then from there I discovered the Whole 30. I did eat paleo for a brief period of time, but I've always been crazy for processed food and sweets, so it didn't stick.

Honestly I've always considered W30 for weight loss purposes, although I know weight loss is only one of MANY wonderful things brought on by completing the program. The last few times I've unsuccessfully attempted W30 were indeed for weight loss, but this time around I know it's a "now or never" scenario to get a grip on my sugar dragon, eating, and life in general. Today I'm on Day 19 and know I'll cross the finish line!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2246 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
Cool!  Hope you see the changes you're looking for.

All in all the W30 is going well for me too.   I had a huge craving for sweets, so I gorged a bit on a carton of blueberries, and no such cravings since.  This week I'm eating sauteed green beans with onion and garlic, steamed kale, pork sausage, salmon, pan fried hamburger with everything, and I have a few salads mixed up as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2247 on: August 01, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! My kids actually like broccoli and healthy food. They just don't like it when it's been chopped, diced, stirred, seasoned and made into a masterpiece. Stashing swiss-style is right, I need to have simple sides included in the meal so they have something that will appeal to them.

Haven't read this, don't know if it will be helpful, but http://realeverything.com/guest-post-getting-your-kids-excited-about-real-food-real-food-with-kids/

It sounds like you're already almost there if they just like simple, real food.  I'm not a parent, but I'd probably just veer towards their preferences and eat fairly plainly.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2248 on: August 02, 2017, 04:27:17 AM »
<3 great article Horsepoor!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2249 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
<3 great article Horsepoor!

Glad you liked it!  I remembered something about Paleo Parents, but they oddly didn't have any posts to their blog on the topic that I could see, but linked to that article.