Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427040 times)

jordanread

Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2100 on: March 23, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
BJ. I've had good luck with shredding miscellaneous squash as a base for curries and the like. They are a compliant way to add additional calories/fillers/flavor vehicles.

Oh interesting. How do you shred them? And I'm assuming you cook them somehow before adding things on top- boil them? Fry them? Thanks!

Actually, I usually use a grater (or the grater attachment on the food processor when I'm cooking in bulk/feeling lazy). Usually, with my squash, I either bake them whole, or grill them cut lengthwise (brushed with avocado oil and pepper). However, the way I've been doing mixes lately involves pre-cooking chicken, add broth, adding in curry spices/mixes (I know a good majority of the mixes contain extra sugar, though), and shredding the veggies (poblanos, Chinese eggplant, jalapenos, onions, serranos, bell peppers*, etc) raw, and just letting it warm through. It's not very labor intensive, holds well for lunches throughout the week, and is delicious.

So I suppose that was a long winded way of saying that cooked or raw, it works well, and I use a cheese grater/food processor.

*Don't judge me...they were on sale.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2101 on: March 23, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »
BJ. I've had good luck with shredding miscellaneous squash as a base for curries and the like. They are a compliant way to add additional calories/fillers/flavor vehicles.

Oh interesting. How do you shred them? And I'm assuming you cook them somehow before adding things on top- boil them? Fry them? Thanks!

Actually, I usually use a grater (or the grater attachment on the food processor when I'm cooking in bulk/feeling lazy). Usually, with my squash, I either bake them whole, or grill them cut lengthwise (brushed with avocado oil and pepper). However, the way I've been doing mixes lately involves pre-cooking chicken, add broth, adding in curry spices/mixes (I know a good majority of the mixes contain extra sugar, though), and shredding the veggies (poblanos, Chinese eggplant, jalapenos, onions, serranos, bell peppers*, etc) raw, and just letting it warm through. It's not very labor intensive, holds well for lunches throughout the week, and is delicious.

So I suppose that was a long winded way of saying that cooked or raw, it works well, and I use a cheese grater/food processor.

*Don't judge me...they were on sale.

Do you grill them *then* shred them? Or you only shred them if you're going to use it raw? I'm guessing when you reheat your curry with the raw grated veggies, it semi-cooks them to an al dente type texture? Sorry for all the questions, just having a hard time following what you're describing!

jordanread

« Reply #2102 on: March 23, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
[...]just having a hard time following what you're describing!

You and I operate on different wavelengths (unless it comes to dogs). Not a problem in the least.

Do you grill them *then* shred them? Or you only shred them if you're going to use it raw? I'm guessing when you reheat your curry with the raw grated veggies, it semi-cooks them to an al dente type texture? Sorry for all the questions, just having a hard time following what you're describing!

I didn't actually think about this until you mentioned it. When I cook things, I usually don't shred. They are too soft to make it worthwhile. I'll either cut them into big chunks or liquify them, depending on mood. When it's raw, things are a touch more firm, so grating works really well, especially as a rice replacement (BLACK RICE UBER ALLES!). I suppose that breaking it down, a nice flow chart would be useful. Give me a bit, and I'll get something posted. Initial thoughts are that if you use the reheating process to cook things al dente, shredding raw stuff works great. If your only use-case is to provide volume to a dish, pre-cooking and liquefying works. The cheap veggies on their own make a good base, and can stand in for rice or other fillers.

Does that kind of clear things up?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2103 on: March 23, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
I think so. Thank you!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2104 on: March 23, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
Bad news guys....back to day 1. Don't worry, I didn't cave to cupcakes or wine but rather unknowingly from my breakfast. I get all of my meat generally from a cute little Italian market. I didn't even think they put ingredients on their butcher shop items and didn't read the label on the pork sausage. Today I was walking by and thought to check it (I felt so weird on Sunday and even yesterday - the only two days that I had the pork sausage - and it didn't make sense that eggs or avocado would make me feel this way). The second to last ingredient is MSG. Obviously, if I had known, I would not have consumed and still be conpliant. I am so upset but want to play by the rules, yet still acknowledge that for 11 days I did make the right choices vs. Going back to my old ways. Going forward, I will now say day 11/1 (or whatever we are on). Deflating but oh well...minor inconvenience.

This is pretty big progress, even if it seems like a temporary setback. You didn't cave you got bit by sausage. This is a life lesson I am learning, and keep failing at. Every time I have been glutened it was due to damn unmarked sausages. Sometimes the hardest part of all this is not a matter of changing yourself, but navigating the world around you That is a huge learning curve in itself. I'm kinda introverted so I use to just take it on faith and gamble rather than ask. After I keep having to suffer the consequences I have gotten much better at being "that" person. Mostly people don't mind if you are nice about it, but it has been a learning curve for sure.

You are doing awesome, nottoolate!

Weedy Acres - Congrats on starting, how are you doing today?

Bracken_Joy - YAY!!! it is GREAT to see you here! Some thoughts on the rice thing: You know how rice affects you. You know a hell of a lot more about your health challenges and being a nurse, you have the most knowledge. I would say if carbs are something you need, and you know you are okay with rice, keep it. The point of a whole 30 is to see how foods affect you, if you already know, I don't think modifying it is a bad thing.

A couple of other options: Chestnut flour (hella expensive though) or buckwheat. Hubs had a major issue with going too low-carb so once we established he was fine with it after the first Whole 30, it has been in our regular rotation.

Besides starchy veg, fruit can also probably get you to the carb count you need: A quick google search led me to this:
"One apple, banana, orange, peach and pear, one-quarter of a cantaloupe, and 21 sweet cherries provide 12 to 34 grams total carbohydrates. Pears, sweet cherries, bananas and apples have the most carbohydrates. They range from 26 grams in pears and cherries to 34 grams of total carbohydrates in an apple. The other fruits have 12 to 19 grams of total carbohydrates." http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/carbohydrates-grains-6600.html

And this was interesting: http://balancedbites.com/paleo-diet-carbs/

Ultimately, you have to make it work for you, don't want to be stressing yourself out if you are trying to conceive either!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2105 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
Oh my GOSH, I didn't even think about fruit. *face palm*. We really don't eat much fruit other than things like tomatoes. (Irony: the whole30 could require me doing MORE of my carbs from sugar).

Yeah, the whole30 has seemed like a lot of work, and not *so* far off from what we do that I've wanted to mess with it. But we still haven't gotten pregnant, and two of my close friends were doing w30 when they got pregnant. Anecdata and possibly coincidental timing, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything!

Thank you for the link. I think it'll take some brain power to make a meal plan that ensures enough carbs, but I should be able to do it! Just need to pre-plan enough. If I wait until I realize I'm not getting enough, it can screw me up for days before I get my groove back =\

Coming up on the ideal time of year to do this though, some of my favorite foods are in season!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2106 on: March 23, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
The Paleo link has a handy PDF, if it takes you a while to get back on track I think it might be an idea to plan your meals around the carby veg and fruit. It might actually be easier because it will be a starting place for meal planning. I've also got a Whole 30 Pinterest I can share with you if you like. And we are here to help you :)

The interesting thing about Anecdata, is pretty much all of this diet and food and how it affects your body is mostly anecdotal at this point as a lot of the research around it is pretty new, but it is worth a shot if it doesn't conflict with what you know medically.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2107 on: March 23, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
Day 2 is in the books.  I feel the same as yesterday, no hangover, probably because I don't have any high-sugar habits.  I did wake up utterly ravenous this morning (I'm typically always a bit hungry, but this was "food...NOW").  It may have been because I just time shifted 2 hours from my 5 day trip west, as I'm hungrier when I'm sleep deprived.

I had a salad for lunch.  I have a fabulous lip-smacking dressing recipe...that has sugar in it.  I tried substituting orange juice (after experimenting with pineapple and lime) and it was ok.  Does someone have a good compliant recipe that's not savory?

Still want something sweet after each meal.  I've typically satisfied this with fruit, but I gather we're not supposed to do that (sugar dragon thing?).

I just found out that I've got to make 2 short biz trips during my W30.  Grrrr.  I timed it so I'd be able to home cook everything, and now my plans are foiled.  They're both trips by plane too, so I can't load a cooler in the trunk.  Any suggestions?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2108 on: March 24, 2017, 04:52:23 AM »
Oh my GOSH, I didn't even think about fruit. *face palm*. We really don't eat much fruit other than things like tomatoes. (Irony: the whole30 could require me doing MORE of my carbs from sugar).

Yeah, the whole30 has seemed like a lot of work, and not *so* far off from what we do that I've wanted to mess with it. But we still haven't gotten pregnant, and two of my close friends were doing w30 when they got pregnant. Anecdata and possibly coincidental timing, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything!

Thank you for the link. I think it'll take some brain power to make a meal plan that ensures enough carbs, but I should be able to do it! Just need to pre-plan enough. If I wait until I realize I'm not getting enough, it can screw me up for days before I get my groove back =\

Coming up on the ideal time of year to do this though, some of my favorite foods are in season!

Hey Bracken__Joy -- Welcome to the W30!  I just finished week 1, and as a fellow super-active-person, I wanted to let you know that so far the carbs have been very tricky for me.   My energy in week 1 absolutely bottomed out and I have been struggling to continue exercising.   It seems to be getting slightly better day by day -- but wow.  Huge impact.   

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2109 on: March 24, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Hi all!   Welcome Bracken Joy and Weedy Acres. 

We have friends coming into town this weekend, so I am slightly nervous about staying on plan, but since I am at home, this should be ok. Will be sad that they are having glass(es) of wine though. 

Had tacos night last night using taco meat recipe from Well Fed Weeknights. Family loved the homemade spice mix. Family ate normal tacos and my meat was on a bed of sauteed cabbage. Delicious! Kind of reminded me of nachos.

Weedy Acres - sorry about upcoming travel. If I had to travel, I would stick to the most whole foods I could find. Hardboiled eggs, salads, fruit, nuts,  plain sweet potato, etc to just "make it through". I would pack fruit, eggs, and nuts for plane.  I think there are Whole 30 approved bars but I haven't had any. Any chance of a grocery store or staying at hotel with little microwave (I am sure you thought of this already)? Good luck

Swick - thanks for your support. Yes, it does stink but the better that I feel, the more convinced I feel to incorporate more into my long term eating anyway., so what's a few more days?  I am hoping to be close to tiger blood despite my MSG mishap.

Day 13 / Day 3 today.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2110 on: March 24, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »
Okay. A week one meal plan (SANS RICE, gasp) is prepped. Start date set for Sunday, April 2nd. Husband is on board.

Happy that some of our past paleo-ness is still paying off- our bacon and a decent number of our condiments are already compliant. OTOH, it was with great sorrow that I realized that our salsa verde has citric acid and will be off the table. I love that stuff. At this point, it could probably be said that my favorite food is salsa verde. I put it on everything. Our red salsa is compliant though, so that's nice. (Maybe I'll be motivated enough to make my own salsa verde... I just hate making it our of season, haha, prefer to buy it. This will teach me to put more up this summer I guess!)

Anyway, this week I work an extra shift and we're working on clearing out the dairy we have, and then it will be "go time".

Foreseeable challenges: Baby shower that is a 5 hour drive away on April 10th. (TEN HOURS in the car, ughhhh. Good thing I love her). Work shifts- I'm a nurse, and I do not get breaks of lunch breaks. Just me and my patient, allll day. In the past, this has been when I judiciously deploy sandwiches (the only time I use bread). But, I'm only working 1-2 days per week right now, so I'll just have to make it work. Egg cups, a la nom nom paleo, are the current plan.

So glad this group is here you guys. It's crazy to me how overwhelming this is, considering I went paleo originally in 2010, and have been on the spectrum of paleo/primal to "clean eating" ever since. I guess I thought it would be easier to plan this out. Hubris, guys. It's a stinky cologne ;)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2111 on: March 24, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
Okay. A week one meal plan (SANS RICE, gasp) is prepped. Start date set for Sunday, April 2nd. Husband is on board.

Happy that some of our past paleo-ness is still paying off- our bacon and a decent number of our condiments are already compliant. OTOH, it was with great sorrow that I realized that our salsa verde has citric acid and will be off the table.

Any particular reason citric acid is off the table for you? It's allowed on Whole 30 according to their list of additives: http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2112 on: March 24, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

Happy that some of our past paleo-ness is still paying off- our bacon and a decent number of our condiments are already compliant. OTOH, it was with great sorrow that I realized that our salsa verde has citric acid and will be off the table.

Any particular reason citric acid is off the table for you? It's allowed on Whole 30 according to their list of additives: http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

Oh! Well color me surprised. I just assumed all additives were off the table I guess. Huh! Well the calcium carbonate and citric acid makes things easier- I was wondering how anyone did ANY canned tomato products without an acid adjuster, haha!

Well okie dokie then. Herdez Salsa Verde, I shall never break up with you my love. I'm sorry I doubted you <3

Thank you for the link! I should probably just buy the book ;) haha. I just looked at the main "program rules" before.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2113 on: March 24, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Day 3 is done and I'm still feeling good.  A couple food things: lunch (salad) didn't fill me up for as long as needed.  I need to find a way to add more fat to salads.  More dressing, I guess, but I'm a "go spare on the dressing" kind of gal, so that will take some adjusting.

To make things even more challenging, around 4:15, I realized I needed to stay late to plant 100 trees (long story whose details don't matter), so schlepped around till dark, at around 7:30.  Was absolutely famished, and did have a banana for a snack.  I had nothing else available (free fruit is an employee benefit, so it's always around) and couldn't do a quick run to the nearest fast food joint for something to tide us over.  I stayed strong with willpower and ate once we got home.  My key to a quick go-to meal: frozen hamburger patties and potatoes on hand.  Just need to come up with something for work.

Mr. Weedy, who admits he made (and ate) a batch of snicker doodles when I was gone last weekend, says he's been feeling very tired/low energy.  He has been completely compliant with me so far.  I told him he was ahead of the game, with week 2 symptoms.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2114 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:59 AM »
My theories as to why I've felt no changes:

1. I have Celiac Disease and have been gluten-free for nearly a decade. Though I do generally eat non-gluten grains, it's in moderation. It's probable, considering the countless improvements in my health since that diagnosis, that my gut is just fine.

2. Though I've about doubled my veggie intake to stay full, I've always eaten a lot of veggies. Most of my desserts through life have been fruit, though there are certainly occasional exceptions. In general, I find most desserts entirely too sweet to enjoy. Most of what I eat is Mediterranean, Thai, or Central American home-cooked traditional staples rather than the SAD. But for little things like no yogurt, no nightshades, and no beans, this really isn't a far cry from how I normally eat.

3. I work next to a refinery, port, freeway, and super-polluting train. If anything is triggering my symptoms, it may simply be the obvious environmental effect of where I work. I am certainly not the only one to have developed health issues while working there (we have, in fact, won lawsuits against the refinery because of these things and are currently in a suit over the trains).

Like I said earlier, I'm really enjoying eating more vegetables because they just taste good. I'm sure they're good for me, too. But I have felt exactly zero of the predicted results of this diet -- no mood swings, no energy fluctuations (good or bad), no relief from pain, no interruption in my regular bouts of fatigue...

Right now at 25 days (28 if you include the three days before my official start date that included homemade broth with pepper in it against the no-nightshade plan), I'm not feeling very motivated to continue strict adherence or bother with reintro at a slow pace.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2115 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
Gah!  I'm at Day 25 - yay! - and realized at the store last night that some sliced turkey I bought (and already consumed) has added sugar.  Aaaagh.  So disappointed that I didn't look at the label first but it never occurred to me that there would be added sugar in sliced deli meat.  And I was so psyched because it was easy protein at lunch and in the am.  So, back to square one.  I had already decided to do this through Lent.  Now, I'll keep going after Easter.   Note to self: read the freaking label!!!!

MangoAtPlay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2116 on: March 25, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
Hi Everyone! 
  I want to do the Whole 30!  Where is the group?  Or is this thread the group? 
  I'll plan to start April 8th after I get back from a trip.
  Looking forward to it!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2117 on: March 25, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »
Welcome, Mango.  Yes this thread is the group.  So feel free to post your questions or your preparations and we'll help and support you.

Bergal: the W30 mods do say it's your choice whether to restart after an accidental ingesting of a non-compliant item.  They say if you're really trying to pinpoint food sensitivities you really need the whole 30 days to get clean.

My day 4 is done, and it felt much like the first three.  Since it's the weekend, I spent some time tracking down a few recipes for next week, doing some grocery shopping, and grilling a boatload of chicken breasts to take some of the prep out of next week. 

Even though pre-W30 I cooked a lot of healthy food from scratch, this is taking more effort.  Because everything is from scratch, even stuff like salad dressing and spaghetti sauce, which I've bought in jars.  So I've got to find recipes and make sure I've got the ingredients on hand.  And we're eating probably double the veggies we were before.

Wondering when the "something different" is going to kick in...will I still want to nap all next week?  Haven't yet felt the urge to Kill All The Things.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:05:35 PM by Weedy Acres »

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2118 on: March 26, 2017, 03:16:26 AM »
Gah!  I'm at Day 25 - yay! - and realized at the store last night that some sliced turkey I bought (and already consumed) has added sugar.  Aaaagh.  So disappointed that I didn't look at the label first but it never occurred to me that there would be added sugar in sliced deli meat.  And I was so psyched because it was easy protein at lunch and in the am.  So, back to square one.  I had already decided to do this through Lent.  Now, I'll keep going after Easter.   Note to self: read the freaking label!!!!

Sorry to hear this. This happened to me with some pork earlier this week. I was not as far as you but opted to do a side by side count to track my progress both ways...day 15/5, for example.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2119 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
Joining today. Thank you, swick, so much for this thread! Congratulations to everyone who has found healing from Whole30!

My doctors currently have me on three permanent diets simultaneously: gluten free, low FODMAP, and ph balanced. The W30 diet will cover most of that, although I will still need to take care about low FODMAP.

I am also recovering from an accident, 10/30/16: 8 broken bones, collapsed lungs, followed by pneumonia, PTSD, and also pulled tendons from trying too hard too soon when exercising.

I tried W30 with a few cheats for 5 days. The results are already AMAZING. The inflamed tendons pain had been so bad, I had to sleep in a recliner for weeks. Last night I slept soundly in bed and awoke with no pain! There are tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

A lingering issue since the accident has been fatigue. It looks like W30 may help this, too.

Today is day 1.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2120 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »
Thanks Weedy Acres and Nottoolatetostart!  Weedy Acres, I know what you mean about this taking a lot more efforts with meal planning.  I cook from scratch most of the time but the W30 is challenging my cooking repetoire.  I also did some shopping today and trolling the internet for new recipes.  Since I have tomorrow off, I'll spend the day cooking for the next week or so.

NTLTS - your story of the pork is what inspired me to read the label on the deli meat.  So sneaky!!  Fortunately, sugar is not a trigger for me but it is really amazing some of the foods that have added sugar, isn't it? 

Mara, welcome!  So sorry to hear about your accident but very happy that you're having some pain relief from the W30. Good luck with day 2.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2121 on: March 27, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
Days 5 and 6 have continued without incident.  No hangovers but no tiger blood.  Has anyone else had similar lack of noticeable changes the first week?

I've got to find a decent salad dressing.  I've tried a couple vinegrettes and find I that vinegar without sugar to mellow it is too strong tasting for me.  Any ideas?  I've tried one with red wine and one with apple cider vinegars.  Perhaps I need to go with a creamy mayo-based one.  Otherwise I can give up on salads and just go with leftovers For lunch I suppose. 

Tomorrow starts a quick 2-day trip by plane.  I'm a bit trepidatious, but I just have one 3-hour meeting, with no shared/public meals (cocktails, but I can easily just drink water).  And I booked a hotel with kitchenette, so should be able to cook something compliant.  Crossing fingers that it won't be too tough.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2122 on: March 27, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

Mara, welcome!  So sorry to hear about your accident but very happy that you're having some pain relief from the W30. Good luck with day 2.

Thanks, Bergal! I may need to restart... found there is sugar in my bacon and other hidden no-no's. Sigh.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2123 on: March 29, 2017, 04:10:14 AM »
Checking in.  Day 12 is in the books.  I feel better than at first -- able to do normal daily activities and go to work-- but nowhere near as good yet as I usually feel.  The sudden switch to low-carb has wiped me out.  Exercise is still off the menu because I have no energy.  So my strength training and running are taking a huge hit this month.  I keep telling myself this is temporary and worth it, because I will figure out some things.   And on the positive side, no allergy symptoms right now!  Aaahhhh.   Looking forward to figuring out what the heck was causing the problems. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:13:50 AM by Trifele »

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2124 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:38 AM »
Weedy Acres - good luck with the trip.

Trifele - hopefully you will turn corner soon. You are almost half done!

Mara - what did you decide?

Update : today is day 18 / 8. Time is flying by. I don't know if I have more energy but I can tell you that I feel more patient and more positive. I feel less overwhelmed. I feel like I am better wife and mom.

Yesterday after I dropped my daughter off at school (walked there), I had a moment when walking back of "I feel really f**king great". All is right with the world. Still no sign of Tiger Blood, yet I feel like my energy is generally more consistent. My blood test is in about 2 more weeks and then dr appointment in 3 weeks to get results to see if this made a difference. My sleep is 100% back to normal and I don't nap as often. I think I have issue with almond milk or almond butter. My skin may actually be clearing up. It is soft, slightly oily/hydrated (but in a dewy kind of way, the good way). I think I look younger. I have done no exercising other than walking outside and I think have totally lost weight (I have had on my to-do list forever to lose about 10 pounds total  ...I estimate I have lost maybe 5 so far).

Have a great day everyone!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2125 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:23 AM »
Weedy Acres - good luck with the trip.

Trifele - hopefully you will turn corner soon. You are almost half done!

Update : today is day 18 / 8. Time is flying by. I don't know if I have more energy but I can tell you that I feel more patient and more positive. I feel less overwhelmed. I feel like I am better wife and mom.

Yesterday after I dropped my daughter off at school (walked there), I had a moment when walking back of "I feel really f**king great". All is right with the world. Still no sign of Tiger Blood, yet I feel like my energy is generally more consistent. My blood test is in about 2 more weeks and then dr appointment in 3 weeks to get results to see if this made a difference. My sleep is 100% back to normal and I don't nap as often. I think I have issue with almond milk or almond butter. My skin may actually be clearing up. It is soft, slightly oily/hydrated (but in a dewy kind of way, the good way). I think I look younger. I have done no exercising other than walking outside and I think have totally lost weight (I have had on my to-do list forever to lose about 10 pounds total  ...I estimate I have lost maybe 5 so far).

Have a great day everyone!

I am still considering. I was already on a very strict diet (GF, low FODMAP, balanced PH) for years when I found W30, always on the lookout for more ways to clean up the diet. After one week of almost completely removing grains, dairy, and added sugar, the improvements are amazing: pain from two inflamed tendons and one knee gone, sleeping all night (hadn't done that in years), weight gained after the accident gone, increased energy, and acne reduced.

Bad things: hot flashes greatly increased, more bloating pain and runs

Most important to me now is debugging the bad things, as both can be dreadful. I would greatly appreciate any advice on those.

NTLTS, congrats on the terrific improvements!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2126 on: March 29, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
I made it through the travel!!

I arrived mid morning, had Chipotle carnitas salad for lunch, then went to the grocery store.  Spent $22 for this:

Which got me dinner:

Breakfast:

Lunch was tricker.  I had to return my rental car by 9, but my flight didn't leave until noon, so I had to make a portable picnic, packed in ice.  Here's what I ended up with (no I didn't eat it all):

I basically had guacamole on boiled eggs and veggies.  It wasn't my favorite meal ever, but it fit the template and lasted until I got home.  Unfortunately the TSA took away my coconut oil (fits in the "liquids" category).

Next week I've got another trip with 2 overnight stays, so I'm a little more trepidatious.  Don't know that I can find a hotel with kitchenette.  And I'll be with people at lunch.  And it looks like I may have another trip tossed into the mix in mid-April.  Dang, I tried so hard to schedule this around my travel.  Grrr.

So days 7 and 8 are done.  Still nothing notable in how I feel.  Still have mild hot flashes and don't sleep through the night (those are connected).  I did start coming down with a sore throat on my trip, so I'm adding back a bit of fruit.  I typically eat a lot, and have been cutting back, but my body was wanting vitamin C. 

In other news, Mr. Weedy drove to the east coast for work and among other things has eaten donuts and an ice cream sandwich.  He never promised to eat compliant, he just eats everything I put in front of him when home and cleans up all the dishes after me.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:27:36 PM by Weedy Acres »

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2127 on: March 30, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »

I am still considering. I was already on a very strict diet (GF, low FODMAP, balanced PH) for years when I found W30, always on the lookout for more ways to clean up the diet. After one week of almost completely removing grains, dairy, and added sugar, the improvements are amazing: pain from two inflamed tendons and one knee gone, sleeping all night (hadn't done that in years), weight gained after the accident gone, increased energy, and acne reduced.

Bad things: hot flashes greatly increased, more bloating pain and runs

Most important to me now is debugging the bad things, as both can be dreadful. I would greatly appreciate any advice on those.

NTLTS, congrats on the terrific improvements!

Update: I figured out the "bad things" were due to not realizing bok choy is cabbage, duh. Useless suffering.

There are two key takeaways for me from the W30 after just one week: grains and sugar cause me grief, while the lack of them improves my health and well-being. This is huge! Thank you so much for making the improvements possible.

I am withdrawing from the challenge. My family will continue to enjoy the great W30 resources, especially the incredible recipes. Best wishes for success to everyone!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2128 on: March 30, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
A little parting thank you gift: a recipe for breakfast or as a snack. I am having this with a sliced orange for breakfast today.

Slice a plantain. Fry in clarified butter. Salt to taste.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2129 on: March 30, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
Thanks, Mara!  That sounds tasty.  Best wishes to you and your family!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2130 on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
Grocery shopping has happened! And now I have some prep prior to our official w30 start on Sunday. I need to make ghee and chimichurri sauce.

The really weird thing is, by avoiding dairy, I'm going to end up consuming stabilizers I don't normally eat. Minimal quantities, since it's just for my coffee, but still, it feels a little odd haha. The dairy is definitely the Primary Experiment for me. I've never successfully, fully given up dairy for a long enough period of time to tell if I have Issues with it. (I know I have issues with soy, I know I have no obvious issues with wheat, I know I have intermittent issues with corn- I've successfully eliminated those in the past). Given a family history of Issues With Dairy and my personal IBS issues, I'm giving it a "likely" that dairy will end up being a no-no for me. This thought gives me great sorrow. I am going to have a really hard time keeping my calories up without dairy- it's one of the few things I can eat even when I'm not "feeling" hungry, but I know I need more fuel.

Anyway, closing in on the beginning! Much to my great sorrow, I just this week discovered how awesome greek salad is. I hope it's just as good without the feta! =o Anyone have suggestions for a replacement? (I roughly follow the Pioneer Woman recipe).

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2131 on: March 30, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Mara: sorry to see you go.  Good luck!

Bracken: I love clarified butter and take great joy in slathering it liberally on baked potatoes and spaghetti squash.

My day 9 was more of the same.  Still fighting off the cold, so low energy, but still went to the gym and ate all 3 meals, having fruit with each. 

I've given up for now on the salads for lunch, until I can find a dressing I like.  Will likely experiment a bit with mayo this weekend.  I've never been a mayo lover, so we'll see.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2132 on: March 30, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
Update. Almond milk is not good in coffee. Nope, nope, nope. (Anyone want a mainly full carton of plain almond milk!?) Picked up some other coconut milks to try in my coffee. Black coffee is a bit too hard on my stomach, I don't mind the flavor =\

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2133 on: March 30, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
Hey Bracken_Joy, I totally agree with you on Almond milk in coffee.  I've had great luck with unsweetened Califia Better Half (Coconut cream and almond milk).  It's W30 approved - no sweeteners and no carrageenan.  Maybe it'll work for you.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2134 on: March 30, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
Update. Almond milk is not good in coffee. Nope, nope, nope. (Anyone want a mainly full carton of plain almond milk!?) Picked up some other coconut milks to try in my coffee. Black coffee is a bit too hard on my stomach, I don't mind the flavor =\

First, Almond milk is not my fave, but in a pinch it'll work. Order is important, you have to add a bit off coffee to the almond milk first and temper it and then add coffee to the almond milk. if you do it the other way around it may curdle and is otherwise unpleasant.

Do you happen to have a good blender? If so, I have a bunch of alternative suggestions. If you have a way to strain it, it is dead simple to make our own coconut milk (throw in a date if you want it sweeter) out of dried coconut. Just make sure it isn't the sweetened stuff you American's seem to favour.

Otherwise nut butter milk! No straining, dead easy! http://www.thepretendbaker.com/easiest-cashew-milk-ever/

Also, sorry I've been MIA glad to see everyone has been active and supporting each other, I couldn't ask for more :)

Also, also way to ROCK your business travel, Weedy Acres! I am truly impressed :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2135 on: March 30, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Hey Bracken_Joy, I totally agree with you on Almond milk in coffee.  I've had great luck with unsweetened Califia Better Half (Coconut cream and almond milk).  It's W30 approved - no sweeteners and no carrageenan.  Maybe it'll work for you.

+1 it is pretty much the only commercial nut milk I can stand. Great brand!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2136 on: March 31, 2017, 02:04:20 AM »

Have you tried low acid coffee?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2137 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »

Have you tried low acid coffee?

I've never even heard of low acid coffee? Unless you mean central american ones that tend to be lower acid than african ones, right? I prefer the central american coffees anyway, due to the flavor. But I do prefer light roast coffees.

The coffee issue has been resolved though- husband rightly pointed out that since my probiotic, and drinking coffee with breakfast (instead of like... all the time), my stomach would likely stand up well to black. Tested that the past two days, and it's grand, no fall out. So I'll just go with black coffee, easy enough.

Made ghee successfully, so that's in order. Ready to start tomorrow morning =)

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2138 on: April 01, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Days 10 & 11 are done.  In the cooking groove, no problems there.  Still have the cold, and I've blown my nose raw, which sucks.  And it kind of interferes with tasting food.

Still no noticeable physical changes.  I read the timeline and it said now is the "my pants are tighter" phase.  I have to confess I'm not pooping much.  Need to research what might be going on there. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2139 on: April 02, 2017, 04:00:39 AM »
Hi - on day 22 /12. I had a rough few days and after googling, perhaps I am either not eating enough or not getting enough carbs.  I think perhaps it is blessing in disguise that I had a MSG-relapse since perhaps I am one of the few whose diets were so bad that 30 days is not long enough. I also think my food allergies or intolerances might be more significant than I thought. Honestly, many nights lately I haven't felt well and makes me question whether I felt better with my old diet versus this. I am committed to seeing this thing through, plus my blood tests are in 8-9 more days, when my original whole30 ends.

With eating a lot more and getting more carbs, I felt better yesterday but still got a little headachy. Maybe I am eating something my body does not like though.

Went to a beautiful, vibrant, busy indoor market (one of the oldest in the country) yesterday about 30 min from my house and all the produce from the different vendors was so beautiful. I love where we live with all the farms around and makes me feel better connected to my community. I may go back Tuesday with my son when it reopens for more food to restock there (it's only open 3 days per week). I am very comfortable with the cooking aspect, I just wish I would feel better. I am truly super excited about new veg and meat CSA starting in a couple more weeks. Sorry for the rambling...

Watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix this weekend to support my Whole30 wellness program. Any other food/health movie recommendations (I watch while on treadmill)?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2140 on: April 02, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »

Still no noticeable physical changes.  I read the timeline and it said now is the "my pants are tighter" phase.  I have to confess I'm not pooping much.  Need to research what might be going on there.

Aww it is tough when you aren't feeling well, hope you get better and your nose gets a break! if you are not pooping as much it might be a couple of things, are you eating enough fiber and bulk? Also, are you getting enough healthy oils? The whoel 30 is suppose to be a higher fat program, not so much higher protein, sometimes people tend to replace the carbs with protein and not fat. Increasing coconut oil consumption will defintiyl help move things along, but you want to do it slowly, or you might go too far in the other direction.

Hi - on day 22 /12. I had a rough few days and after googling, perhaps I am either not eating enough or not getting enough carbs.  I think perhaps it is blessing in disguise that I had a MSG-relapse since perhaps I am one of the few whose diets were so bad that 30 days is not long enough. I also think my food allergies or intolerances might be more significant than I thought. Honestly, many nights lately I haven't felt well and makes me question whether I felt better with my old diet versus this. I am committed to seeing this thing through, plus my blood tests are in 8-9 more days, when my original whole30 ends.

With eating a lot more and getting more carbs, I felt better yesterday but still got a little headachy. Maybe I am eating something my body does not like though.

Went to a beautiful, vibrant, busy indoor market (one of the oldest in the country) yesterday about 30 min from my house and all the produce from the different vendors was so beautiful. I love where we live with all the farms around and makes me feel better connected to my community. I may go back Tuesday with my son when it reopens for more food to restock there (it's only open 3 days per week). I am very comfortable with the cooking aspect, I just wish I would feel better. I am truly super excited about new veg and meat CSA starting in a couple more weeks. Sorry for the rambling...

Watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix this weekend to support my Whole30 wellness program. Any other food/health movie recommendations (I watch while on treadmill)?

Finding that carb balance can be tricky, if you are not going into keto but not eating enough carbs to keep burning glycogen than you can get into that flue like space.

It is very possible that you are also eating something that doesn;t agree with you that s allowed on whole 30. My mom didn't realized she had an issue with almonds until she did a whole 30. My suggestion would be do the reg Whoel 30, do reintro, and then if you feel you need to do an AIP or FODMAPs version (depending on what you think your problem foods might be) and go from there, it can take a while to figure out what is causing your issues. It is a process and a journey.

As far as doc's, I ususally just type whatever I'm curious about into Youtube. I watched a ton of different sugar documentries and such to maotivate me when I was still struggling with wanting to eat sugar. I still do when I feel I need a little more motivation :)

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2141 on: April 02, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
Day 12 down.  Did a lot of googling and the most frequent suggestions for constipation are:
1. Drink lots of water.  no problems there, that's my only beverage and I've been drinking extra since the cold started.
2.  Get enough salt.  I haven't skimped, but the last few meals I've tried to be more liberal with it.
3.  Eat enough fat.  I've been eating lots of avocado, clarified butter, bacon even.  Cook my eggs in plentiful coconut oil.  But the last few meals have really tried to pile it on.
4.  Take magnesium.  I prefer to stay away from pills, but may try this if I don't see more movement in the next day or so.

We had a church potluck today.  I brought a compliant broccoli salad and some cut up chicken breast for my private portion of protein since I figured the rest of the dishes would have non-compliant stuff in them.  I didn't get completely filled up (not enough fat), so was slightly tempted to grab a roll (pre-W30 behavior), but instead waited till we got home and make a baked potatoes drenched in clarified butter with half an avocado.  It sure doesn't feel healthy to drench a potato in butter.  :-). But I LOVE clarified butter.

Oh and i made mayo with light OO that I used in the broccoli salad.  I'm not a mayo eater, so have questioned people that love it (figuring I wouldn't be one of them).  It doesn't taste like bottled mayo.  Instead it's a light, frothy, oily concoction.  I'm going to make another batch this week and try seasoning it as an alternative fat for veggie dips or something.

Bracken, how did your first day go?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2142 on: April 02, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Day 12 down.  Did a lot of googling and the most frequent suggestions for constipation are:
1. Drink lots of water.  no problems there, that's my only beverage and I've been drinking extra since the cold started.
2.  Get enough salt.  I haven't skimped, but the last few meals I've tried to be more liberal with it.
3.  Eat enough fat.  I've been eating lots of avocado, clarified butter, bacon even.  Cook my eggs in plentiful coconut oil.  But the last few meals have really tried to pile it on.
4.  Take magnesium.  I prefer to stay away from pills, but may try this if I don't see more movement in the next day or so.

We had a church potluck today.  I brought a compliant broccoli salad and some cut up chicken breast for my private portion of protein since I figured the rest of the dishes would have non-compliant stuff in them.  I didn't get completely filled up (not enough fat), so was slightly tempted to grab a roll (pre-W30 behavior), but instead waited till we got home and make a baked potatoes drenched in clarified butter with half an avocado.  It sure doesn't feel healthy to drench a potato in butter.  :-). But I LOVE clarified butter.

Oh and i made mayo with light OO that I used in the broccoli salad.  I'm not a mayo eater, so have questioned people that love it (figuring I wouldn't be one of them).  It doesn't taste like bottled mayo.  Instead it's a light, frothy, oily concoction.  I'm going to make another batch this week and try seasoning it as an alternative fat for veggie dips or something.

Bracken, how did your first day go?

Re: the constipation. I definitely find some light yoga can help move things along, and a little black coffee helps too.

First day:
Went well! Although I woke up with a hangover... what a way to start! I drank moderately, too, it was just throughout the afternoon/evening, and I had taken 3 weeks off drinking. Guess it hit me harder than I knew =\ So I didn't feel great this morning, but I took a short nap mid-morning and it helped a lot. Breakfast is easy, since it's what I always do, just ghee instead of butter. (Some bacon, 2 eggs, cooked in butter, then topped with hot sauce). Lunch we did a salad, and it worked really well! Did tuna, romaine, red onion, and kalamata olives, then I made a sorta salad nicoise vinaigrette- olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, garlic, thyme. The flavors came together really well, and DH loved it too, so this recipe will stick around. It was similar enough in flavor to greek salad that I'm hoping I don't pine for feta *too* much.

Dinner was less of a success. We wanted to give sweet potatoes a go. They're odd for me. I enjoy the taste as I eat them if they're fried (we did hashbrowns) but after I eat them I feel a little nauseous and the smell of them becomes incredibly revolting to me. I wanted to try them again and see if that had changed (it's been a few years since I've had them), but no go. I loved them as I ate them, but now I feel icky and the smell is getting to me. Ah well, it'll be white potatoes for the long haul then.

Definitely a bit of the day 1 "how is this hard?". Other than doing sweet potatoes instead of rice with the pork and asparagus tonight, the food we ate is what we normally would eat. Oh, and I'm still mourning the cream in my coffee. I checked 3 stores, and none of them carry that creamer swick linked =( But I *want* it, haha.

Onwards to day 2. Days 3-4 will be hard, since I work (long hours) one day then DH is out of town for the next day.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2143 on: April 03, 2017, 03:26:09 AM »
Just checking in -- Day 17 down.  Still feel weak, but I think it is getting a little better day by day.  I'm trying hard to get enough carbs, but it's tough because my acceptable carb list is so short, and after a while I just. can't. look. at. another. sweet. potato.   :)

No allergy symptoms at all, so that piece is going great. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2144 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Heh, Forks Over Knives isn't exactly compatible with the Whole30 ethos, but it can always be good to seek out differing opinions.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2145 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
Day 13--check.  A magnesium supplement with dinner seemed to get me moving again.  Or else my body is in a new every-three-days cycle.  Tomorrow will tell.

When does the tiger blood kick in?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2146 on: April 03, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
Day 13--check.  A magnesium supplement with dinner seemed to get me moving again.  Or else my body is in a new every-three-days cycle.  Tomorrow will tell.

When does the tiger blood kick in?

Way to go on Day 13! Here is the timeline:http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ but it is variable, it depends on a lot of different factors.

How is everyone else doing? Wins? Challenges? Realizations?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2147 on: April 04, 2017, 06:05:42 AM »
I've reintroduced everything but beans so far. I did it pretty rapidly as I said I would in my last post. No changes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2148 on: April 05, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »
My husband is officially a magician. He took the almond milk (vile alone in coffee) and the coconut milk (oily and kinda disappears in coffee, no 'cream' body) and made a miracle inspired by the 'half and half' we can't find. I guess he heated and whisked them, then cooled them? And now they're miraculously stable and suspended and actually cream-ify my coffee and don't taste like either coconut OR almond milk.

Um, anyway. If anyone is struggling with creamer, or wants a cheaper home option, I would recommend giving it a try. I think he did roughly 50/50.

We're on day 4 now, pretty sure. So far so good. I miss my dark chocolate squares- I would usually grab one along with brazil nuts or walnuts before the whole 30. (I always try to eat some brazil nuts after a fish meal- selenium to chelate the mercury and all that jazz. I really just need to get to the point where I like sardines like DH does, instead of doing tuna. At least I've moved to skipjack from albacore! But I digress).

One recipe I was *really* happy with: paleo egg cups. I took the leftovers of the shredded pork (basically this recipe without the chipotles en adobo since mine aren't compliant: http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/) and then I used the leftover shredded sweet potato to quickly heat on the stove until the potato was softened. Then I did this recipe: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/10/paleo-carnitas-egg-muffins/ This is a life saver, because even though I'm only working one day a week right now, it's super limited on food choices. No breaks, I have to be able to eat one handed without refrigeration and I have to be able to drop and pick up the food as needed as I do other things. It's also a long day (11 hours) and physically active so I need tons of fuel. In the past, this was my day for sandwiches. The only time we ate bread. But these egg cups fit the bill really nicely.

Hard to say on energy levels so far. Yesterday I was exhausted, but my patient was being just... awful. And I never stopped moving. So that may have been why. Still, I nearly missed something that isn't like me (couldn't find a med bottle that was right in front of my face), so there's a chance I was flagging due to the whole30. Today is my rest day though. Only day of the week with no work, no workout, no major house work (mopping/mowing/etc). So I'm opting for 'active recovery' today- lots of dog cuddles, a good walk if it's sunny, and hopefully a nap =)

DH might have to break his whole 30 today. He out of town for work and going to a work dinner. Definitely the sort of environment where, if he doesn't have a beer, it will be Noticed. He can try and play the health angle (everyone thinks he's a fitness nut already), but if he has a rough day I'm guessing he won't want the drama. And since he left at 4:30 this morning and won't be home until ~midnight? Yeah... not good odds. It's okay though, he's mainly doing the whole 30 to support me, and he plans on just restarting his counter. I'll need to be slow with my re-intro anyway, so I'll just have an extended whole 30 if it comes to that =)

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2149 on: April 05, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
Mezzie:
Sorry to hear you didn't learn much new from your W30.  I'm starting to wonder if it'll be that way for me too, though I don't have the health problems you're trying to solve.

Days 14 and 15 are done.  I'm a bit better on the constipation front but don't know if I'm out of the woods yet.

I'm traveling again. And this time not staying in a place with a kitchen, and also have an all day meeting tomorrow.  Had a very short layover thanks to a delayed flight, so not much time to figure out dinner.  I ended up buying a big dish of steamed veggies at Sbarro.  Not a template meal, but at least it was compliant. 

Bracken: I might try those egg cups.  I've made an 18-egg frittata a couple times, but. 9x13 pan of eggs takes forever to cook.  The muffin tin thing looks like a good variant.