Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427056 times)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2050 on: March 13, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
Liz - what great results and encouraging that this has become lifelong thing. Thank you for sharing your story. I had been going back to read this thread from beginning, so it is nice to know the 'after'. 20 pounds is a lot!

SuperSaver - congrats on upcoming nupitals. Major props to you for trying to do this before your wedding. That is such a stressful time

N - I always find that just putting on my tennis shoes is like 90% of actually working out, even walking. Good luck!

Update: Day 2 in the books since I never eat after dinner. I felt like crap today, but I didn't let it get me down since, let's face it, I always feel like crap. So what else is new?  I am resigned that I will feel bad for the next 2 weeks or so, so I had better settle in.

A bonus: I was seriously craving broccoli this morning. Who craves broccoli? It was weird. So I made some during my breakfast and my daughter wanted some. It felt good that my munchkin was popping the steamed broccoli with olive oil like it was candy at 7am. Then my other one nearly ate all my sweet potatoes.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2051 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
Trifele - it sounds like you have a good plan to work on this with the cooking vs. raw.  I hope you uncover what is recently ailing you. Looking forward to having you join me later in the week too. :0)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2052 on: March 13, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
Posting my week two update a day early since grades are due tomorrow and I doubt I'll have much internet time.

Week 2: No change in symptoms. I've lost a little weight, but that always happens in spring. If it's more than usual, I would guess it's due to fewer carbs. If my pants get looser, I'll have to eat more, but I've been pretty satiated.

I'm glad I'm doing this in the spring when some of my favorite fruits and veggies are in season. Most of my food experiments have been great, but I HATE almond butter. I thought it would be a good peanut butter replacement to go with carrots, apples, and celery, but it is not good at all. Hopefully peanuts will not prove to be a problem. Fruits and veggies are just fine on their own, but I like the extra calories with peanut butter. I've just been eating a handful of nuts instead.

Otherwise, I can't say I've missed anything but nightshade spices. It isn't to the point of a craving or anything, but I like spicy food, so it's weird not to have any. (For example, tonight I made carnitas tacos with lettuce instead of tortillas. It was good, but a dash of habanero sauce would have made it amazing.)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2053 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Hi all - I am contemplating redoing a whole30. I have never actually made it further than day 13. Do you all really, really, really have more energy after doing it? I see comments like "more energy" but just wondering if it feels like night and day with energy levels to you?

I have actually never made it past day 25 so take this with a grain of salt.  But even the short amount of time that I have been 100% compliant, I have noticed that I don't get the afternoon slump and I'm not constantly hungry like I am when I am eating sugar and grains all day.  It does take me up to a week once I start the whole 30 for this to start occurring.  The first couple of days I tend to be really tired as I'm eating a lot more fat and no sugar, but by day 7 each time, I feel much better. 
Post whole 30, I have been continuing to eat more fat and less sugar.  I have much much more constant energy levels.

BCpuppy - oops, sorry i did not mean to overlook this. I love hearing your story and am excited to hear you too have had more constant energy levels and there have been some long term change. Thanks for sharing!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:08 AM »
Mezzie,

Have you tried a few different types of almond butter? I've found there's quite a variety out there, from really good to awful. My favorite is from costco. I love to dip apple slices in it.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2055 on: March 14, 2017, 04:20:53 AM »
I was pretty thoroughly disgusted, so I didn't try any others. Peanut butter tastes good when it's just crushed peanuts (in fact, it *only* tastes good to me that way; the stuff my husband eats -- Jif and the like -- is totally gross to me). If there's some magic to making almond butter taste good, it's probably just not for me.

I'll live. :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2056 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:44 AM »
A bonus: I was seriously craving broccoli this morning. Who craves broccoli? It was weird. So I made some during my breakfast and my daughter wanted some. It felt good that my munchkin was popping the steamed broccoli with olive oil like it was candy at 7am. Then my other one nearly ate all my sweet potatoes.

Me. I looooovvvvveee vegetables. I seriously adore broccoli and sweet potatoes and green beans and zucchini and....  I'm glad to know my kids aren't the only ones zeroing in on mom's food. Around here it seems like the general philosophy is that if Mom is eating it, it must be fantastic and I need some too...now. Even fun stuff like liver!

We're done. Reentry involves lots of travel and little control over our food. The debrief: I feel moderately better but wasn't bad off prior. Sleep is a bit better but that may be partly/mostly to PT reducing my hand pain (torn tendon?). I think I'm more...efficient... I guess that might be a good description. Not sure if it's related or just getting better at juggling our schedule. Down 10 pounds this year...maybe 5 of that this month.

We may revisit for another go later in the year depending on how our crazy schedules look.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2057 on: March 14, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Im back, reading for inspiration. Im really struggling with sugar. And also, need motivation to get to the gym and do strength training. I mean, I just have to do it!!!

Welcome back, N! have any plans to do another round of whole 30? Or any strategies for concerning that sugar dragon?

:) so I've been reading the thread still. I have been so very sick and ramping up my anti anxiety meds so by Sunday I should be ready to relaunch. Unfortunately I won't make it the full 30 this round with my wedding 40 days away but I just felt so much better eating W30 that my fiance and I are going to try to be a whole30ish leading up to our wedding so we feel our best. He's even cut down on acidic foods that have been causing him stomach aches.

Supersaver, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! I think doing the best you can leading up to your wedding is huge! Congratulations! It is so awesome to have a supportive partner in this journey. It will make a big difference for both of you!

I'm so excited to see that this thread is going strong! After my second Whole30 about a year ago (and thanks to the information to from this thread), I started eating keto macros (very low carb) but still applying what I learned from my Whole30. When I eat at home (which is every meal except usually 2 out of the week), I eat NO sugar and mostly whole foods. When I eat out, I try to be mindful about what I am ordering.  I've been eating this way for about a year now and have never felt better. I lost 20lbs on a 5'2 frame and have kept it off -- I'm actually looking to slowly gain back a few pounds, but hopefully mostly muscle. But more importantly, I haven't been sick in over a year and my allergies and sinus troubles are GONE! My asthma still bothers me very slightly sometimes, but it is so much better than it ever was before.

Thanks for letting me share and very thankful for this thread.:)

Liz, This is such a fantastic update! :D :D It is great to hear from you and that your allergies and sinus problems are gone WAHOO!!

*Okay guys, I'm in that kind of mood, expect lots of exclamation points in my post, you have been warned :)

At the end of my Whole30, as I'm reintroducing foods I'm going to take the extra step of first trying fully cooked, then lightly cooked, then raw -- gradually to see what happens. 

That is a really good strategy. I'll be curious to follow along and see what your results are. I'm pretty sure I've got some birch issues, I've just not gotten around to isolating that specifically yet.

Update: Day 2 in the books since I never eat after dinner. I felt like crap today, but I didn't let it get me down since, let's face it, I always feel like crap. So what else is new?  I am resigned that I will feel bad for the next 2 weeks or so, so I had better settle in.

You got this, nottoolatetostart! It can be a bit of a struggle figuring out how much you should be eating and stuff right off the bat, so if you don't start to feel better over the next couple of days, at least a little, you may have to experiment to adjust what you are eating and when. I know there have been a few times, especially for DH when he was sitting at that weird place between not going low enough carb to go into keto and not getting enough carbs to sustain. It can leave you tired, lethargic and feeling like, well crap. So keep an eye out. Generally if you are feeling crappy and you eat a banana or a sweet potato and feel better, that is a pretty good sign.

Mezzie - I'm not a big fan of almond butter either. I do really like cashew butter though!

1967Momma - good to see you poking your head in! How is life? Updates please! :D 

I'm glad to know my kids aren't the only ones zeroing in on mom's food. Around here it seems like the general philosophy is that if Mom is eating it, it must be fantastic and I need some too...now. Even fun stuff like liver!
Ha! This is how you end up with a 6-year-old kid who wants sushi for their birthday. May as well get them exposed to as many tastes and good habits as you can while you have the influence :)

Update: Okay this response got super long because I have been turtling the last few days. I got hit HARD. I had a chocolate from a local company. The gal I talked to said there was no gluten in them (normally I'm not too worried about cross-contamination) and I figured I'd be okay with the bit of dairy and sugar... but yowza did I pay for it!

Within about 10 minutes of eating it my head was pounding, my throat was constricting, my sinuses were stuffed, I felt a breakout starting, and within about 20 minutes I could barely move. My joints seized up, my nerves got all achy, I could literally feel the inflammation building, it was super bizarre. So I spent all of Sunday and most of yesterday in bed. I'm mostly okay but seem to have caught a cold, which is weird. I haven't been sick in over a year, I know sugar is supposed to suppress your immune system temporarily, but this is just silly.

I suppose on the bright side, it has cured me from wanting anything glutenized/sugar-filled or containing dairy (I don't know if it was a combo of ingredients or what - This is why you reintro everything separately, folks!) Ah well, onward and upward!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2058 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
I'm two weeks into AIP, and ten weeks into whole30 in general.  Since starting AIP, I've felt freaking fantastic.  I mean... I felt better doing the whole30, but this is amazing!  As far as the fibro goes, I still would rather nobody poked me (that still hurts way more than I think it should), but general all over aching is basically gone (and nobody pokes me anymore, anyway).  I'm sleeping better.  The afternoon slump is gone.  All those things that people tell you happen with whole30. ;) Still some bowel issues (TMI?), but in general, I could get used to feeling this way.  I will probably start AIP reintro next week.  I know it hasn't been a month, but I feel like I've got a good baseline to judge from at this point.  After that, if bowel issues persist, I might continue whole30 and work the FODMAP list as well. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2059 on: March 14, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »
Good update, 10dollars!

So glad that you are finding something that is working for your Fibro! Yes, the goal is to not HAVE to be poked, isn't it? I'm so happy for you, it's kinda like a new lease on life, isn't it?

I'm thinking I might do an AIP round in the summer, when we have more fresh veggies. Although I love my spices and nightshades, I'm curious if I can level up even more. This feeling better thing is rather addictive :)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #2060 on: March 14, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
Wow swick, that's a crazy reaction--actually feeling the inflammation.  So were you like this before whole30 living and you thought it was normal? Or has your adverse reaction to off-diet foods gotten worse as your eating has gotten cleaner?

Did that make sense?  Do you think eating clean for so long has made your body less able to handle those foods?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2061 on: March 14, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »
Wow swick, that's a crazy reaction--actually feeling the inflammation.  So were you like this before whole30 living and you thought it was normal? Or has your adverse reaction to off-diet foods gotten worse as your eating has gotten cleaner?

Did that make sense?  Do you think eating clean for so long has made your body less able to handle those foods?

makes sense, and I think it is a bit of both. The feeling the inflammation bit was super weird, I wouldn't say it was hallucinatory but close.

I know that before, for example, I just assumed from childhood that there was something wrong with me, I couldn't breathe through my nose at all, I usually had a stuffy head and sinuses and chronic headaches. I thought that was just me. Then I took out the dairy and realized nope, I'm normal. I discovered it takes about 8 hours for dairy symptoms to subside. But when you are having dairy every day you never have that chance, that is your baseline, it is normal.

With the gluten and the fibro, it was always there, my baseline again was kinda sucky, and I had no idea what would cause a bigger flare-up than normal. I didn't keep specific track but it usually came with periods of stress, which is also when I would eat far more carbs than normal. So don't know if there is a connection but suspect so.

All that being said, I know for sure I am WAY more sensitive to sugar now. I can feel it lighting up my brain now. Also, the skin reaction was pretty dramatic and fast and I wouldn't have had that before.

I do think that the cleaner I eat the more the crap affects me. It's like your body going ""Oh hell no, you are NOT doing this to me again!"

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2062 on: March 14, 2017, 07:13:13 PM »
Swick - I can't believe your reaction. Your body definitely does not like!

Day 3 in the books! I would say today was moderately easy and flew by.

Oddly, today, I felt like I had more energy compared to yesterday. Yesterday I felt terrible, just really crappy nd foggy. Woke up feeling headachy and a little hungover today (I hate that! All the pain without the fun from night before), but got better once I got my cup of coffee and got moving.

I am never hungry when I wake up. Never. I read this is typical of hormones being out of whack. So I drink my water and coffee first (black now!), read, enjoy the quiet before my kids wake up, and heat up my breakfast exactly 61 minutes later and just eat everything in my bowl despite not being hungry. Still eating breakfast hours earlier than pre W30. My breakfasts (lots of fat and carbs) keeps me full until late afternoon. So I forced myself to eat a nice salad at lunch today. My energy was actually OK. I had half a cup of coffee midday and 10 almonds in the late afternoon for munching. Amazing progress if you were to see what I ate for 'snacks' 'meals' previously (like 96 hours ago???).

Alright, day 4 next tomorrow!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2063 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »

I am never hungry when I wake up. Never. I read this is typical of hormones being out of whack.

I get this :) It's a struggle I have as well. Some days, I consider myself having accomplished the world if I have managed to have breakfast. Since I'm not doing an actual whole 30, more often than not when I'm struggling it is a compliant ingredient smoothie.

Good to hear that your energy is starting to trend up and that you are eating better than before. One day at a time, you got this!!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2064 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
Dairy does me in too. Years of prescription antihistamines and I don't need them at all as long as I avoid cow dairy. As an added benefit, it seems to act like morphine as well so I'm unable to think and feel zero pain. My husband calls it milk drunk. I figured this out when my kids pediatrician insisted I quit dairy because I was wheezing at one of their appointments.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2065 on: March 16, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
Mongoose - it is so good that you know this about dairy so you can keep those symptoms at bay.

Ladystache - what an interesting experience on those foods.

Swick - I am so grateful for your encouragement.

My update: Day 4 and 5 have gone by ....I already find myself getting bored even though I have not had same thing twice. However, I just received Mel Joulwan's Well Fed Weeknights and that book has helped. I love that book already. I already made a couple recipes in it that are exciting. I am trying to make meals that can be modified for my family and they don't know they are eating whole 30 dinners. He he he.

I have been sleeping not so great. Fall asleep easily like normal but wake up in middle of night. I can't fall back asleep. It dawned on me maybe my afternoon nap (during kids nap time) is not needed right now since I have more energy. So I abstained today on the nap and hope for a more nornal night for me (pre- Whole 30 I always sleep through night unless a kid wakes up).

Energy is still better than before pre-Whole 30. I'm just meh but happy to have made it one more day...

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2066 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »
Did this mess with anyone's cycle? I'm two weeks early, and that never happens. It's probably just a fluke, but I thought I'd check.

Otherwise, life goes on as usual. High pain last night and today. I do like eating extra veggies, so I'm having fun. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2067 on: March 16, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Did this mess with anyone's cycle? I'm two weeks early, and that never happens. It's probably just a fluke, but I thought I'd check.

Otherwise, life goes on as usual. High pain last night and today. I do like eating extra veggies, so I'm having fun. :)

I haven't heard of anyone having a drastic change like that. For a lot of women, there is a normalizing effect as your hormones self-regulate. I know my cramps and period symptoms are way, way better when I eat this way. I was one of those who would be curled up on the floor for two days every month not able to do anything. I have noticed that eating Sugar actually makes my period symptoms worse.  But as far as being early like that, that would be a new one to hear about.

Mongoose - it is so good that you know this about dairy so you can keep those symptoms at bay.

Ladystache - what an interesting experience on those foods.

Swick - I am so grateful for your encouragement.

My update: Day 4 and 5 have gone by ....I already find myself getting bored even though I have not had same thing twice. However, I just received Mel Joulwan's Well Fed Weeknights and that book has helped. I love that book already. I already made a couple recipes in it that are exciting. I am trying to make meals that can be modified for my family and they don't know they are eating whole 30 dinners. He he he.

I have been sleeping not so great. Fall asleep easily like normal but wake up in middle of night. I can't fall back asleep. It dawned on me maybe my afternoon nap (during kids nap time) is not needed right now since I have more energy. So I abstained today on the nap and hope for a more nornal night for me (pre- Whole 30 I always sleep through night unless a kid wakes up).

Energy is still better than before pre-Whole 30. I'm just meh but happy to have made it one more day...

Happy to encourage you! I'll have to check out the cookbook, sounds good! I know eating this way can kind of feel plain after a while. Keeping things interesting is the hard part, the thing is there is so so much variety you can eat, but it is very easy to focus on what you can't so it makes it seem like there are less options then there are.

Re naps: I use to have afternoon naps as well and I have found that I don't need them anymore and they were interfering with my nightly sleep.

I think this is just your body and energy levels sorting themselves out, it is a good thing! Added bonus, if you don't need to nap when your kids do, you have YOU time!! Take advantage of it! Do something that nurtures yourself so you can be a more energized, happy and engaged you, wife, and mamma :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2068 on: March 17, 2017, 04:43:33 AM »

Kicking off the Whole30 AIP today.  Glad to hear you are doing ok on it, Nottoolate.  I'm slightly worried about the lack of variety, like after a while I might get totally nauseous at just the thought of eating X or Y again, but time will tell.  Very excited to start!   

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2069 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
T minus 5 for my starting here, as soon as I get back from a conference.  Got my body fat scanner (I'm at 30% body fat), have tried out mayo (emulsified fine but too OO tasting; need to try again with extra light.)  Tried a salad dressing that neither I nor Mr. Weedy cared for, am using up the cheese in the house. 

Mr. Weedy is similarly healthy to me, and has a chocolate chip cookie addiction.  I've told him "we" are doing the W30 and explained what it is, and that it was up to him whether or not to follow it strictly.  I do all the cooking, and he eats whatever I put on the table, but to ensure he does it 100% I'll need to have a breakfast casserole in the fridge (we leave for work at different times and he usually just does cereal), and make him a lunch salad when I make mine.  Still no guarantee he won't stash chocolate chip cookies in his truck or indulge in a DQ Blizzard and that's up to him.  I'd like him to do it all in, as I'm interested to see if it affects his energy levels.  He's a workaholic and crashes on Sunday.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2070 on: March 17, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
Trifele - how did today go?

Weedy Acres - definitely try to extra light olive oil. I just made some the other day with my inmersion blender and was great. I only use the extra light OO for making mayo, so the bottle lasts awhile. Welcome though. I am ending my day 6 today, so will be here for you

Mezzie - no cycle issues yet

Swick - an update wouldn't be an update without thanking you Ah-Gain. :0)    Are you all recovered now from the inflammation sugar/dairy bout you had earlier in the week? I still cannot believe your reaction

My update : as mentioned, day 6 done.  Sleep went poorly last night again (daughter getting up didn't help) so today I laid off caffeine after really my only cup of the day. Inpressive (for me!) I had so much energy (compared to pre W30) that I barely missed not having my afternoon cup of coffee. Hopefully tonight's sleep goes better without the afternoon caffeine.  It's so weird though because after I wake up and get going (after my "6 pack hangover" goes away),  you would never know I had some restless sleep the night before, so I am going to stop worrying about it. I like these experiments.

Made a Chipotle-like fajita pork bowl for dinner. Rice and cheese for DH's, none for me obviously.

Noticing every single condiment I own : Kirkland salsa, even organic Kirkland Tomato sauce, dijon mustard contains sugar or wine...wtf? No wonder people have problems with diabetes, weight, etc. I wonder why people allow for this.

Final musing.. today I was enjoying a large salad of organic red leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, black olives (checked to make sure they were safe first!), hardboiled eggs, lots of leftover cooked chicken, homemade cilantro lime cumin dressing (this is from Wellfed Weeknights book).....and in the middle of eating my huge bowl, I was just so grateful.  That salad truly gave me jolt of happiness, plus it was so lick-the-bowl delicious.

Day 7 up next. I keep recounting because this W30 is going by very fast.

Sorry for my meanderings....Happy St Patrick's Day.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2071 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »

Swick - an update wouldn't be an update without thanking you Ah-Gain. :0)    Are you all recovered now from the inflammation sugar/dairy bout you had earlier in the week? I still cannot believe your reaction

Aww shucks,  You are doing all the hard work, we're just here to support you and cheer you on! I think I caught a cold, Sugar suppresses your immune system big time, and apparently, it was enough. I don't think I've been actually sick for over a year so, live and learn and staying away from the sugar.

RE: Sleep: As your body adjusts you might find you actually need less sleep, so toss and turn and feel like you aren't getting enough. I know I went from lifelong insomnia to sleeping like the dead for 8 hours to settling into about 6-7. with two distinct sleep cycles and begin aware of tossing and turning for a bit in the middle and if I tried to stay in bed longer in the morning because I felt like I "should" I felt worse than just hitting the ground running earlier. It does take some experimenting and seeing what is best for you and your body, like this whole eating thing :)

Doesn't it suck how much sugar and crap is in EVERYTHING? It is so eye opening. And of course once you start looking you never stop.

Nice to hear about how much you enjoyed your salad. Jolts of happiness and gratitude are a great way of being :)

Weedy Acres - I use extra light olive oil for y dressing or avocado oil (Avocado has a strong taste that takes some getting used to, but it is good, a blend of oils would be good first if you want to try it)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2072 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:10 AM »
Hey Nottoolate

Thanks for asking! Day 1 really kind of sucked, to be honest.  Whole30 + AIP + my regular food allergy restrictions = very few things to eat.  To keep things simple, I made a list of what I CAN eat, and other than the large category of "meat/fish" (which is a large category, to be fair), I have 10 vegetables and fruits I can eat. 

My big challenges this month:  (1) making compliant lunches for work, (2) keeping up my exercise routine.  How does that work?  I guess I'll find out if my energy stays level, goes up, or down.  (3) keeping weight on.  I know the W30 is not a weight loss diet, but jeez louise I think that's what it's going to do.  I went through cancer treatments a year ago (I'm all clear now, fortunately) and just gained my weight back.  I definitely don't want it to decrease again.   

I'm committed.  I'll make it.  It's only a month, and I think I will learn things that will benefit me for the rest of my life. 

Thanks again Nottoolate.  How are you doing, one week in?

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2073 on: March 18, 2017, 04:54:51 AM »
Trifele - sorry to hear about the cancer but what amazing news that you are doing well.

Can you post what those 10 vegetables and fruits are that you can eat? I would be happy, and I am sure others will too, to recommend some easy recipes/combinations so you don't get bored. Your post sounded discouraging and I worry it might not help you with  motivation (of course, coming from someone on only day 7, so that it with grain of salt, I have long way to go). I was experiencing boredom by day 2 or 3 (even with everything I can eat and it made me down too) and then I got a new cookbook, started following more Whole 30 bloggers on Instagram, and I became more jazzed about options....maybe we can help. Their creativity sparked my own creativity a bit even if I have not completely enacted what I learned. Please let us help if we can?

My week went well. I posted a little every day this week but overall I already have more energy, my sleep was negatively affected, and I am not all that tempted on foods I am missing out on (I am thinking of them as foods I don't like and wouldn't touch anyway...like chocolate covered raisins...ick...gag...ugghhhhh). Prep and cooking has been fine and I am doing a bit every day. The energy thing is great so far compared to where I was a week ago, I can't even imagine tiger blood. I don't even think about food like I used to.....in between meals, I am....just satiated (sp?) and fine.

Let us know what those vegetables are and if any meat/seafood restrictions so we can help!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2074 on: March 18, 2017, 05:24:00 AM »
Hey Nottoolate
Other than the sleep, sounds like you are doing great! 
Thanks for the offer to help. I really appreciate that!  Here are the 10 foods on my green light list:

Sweet potatoes. (Thank god for sweet potatoes)
Spinach
Chard
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Squash
Melons
Pineapple
Grapefruit
Bananas

I've been researching and I may have one more I can add.  The Jerusalem artichoke is a member of the aseteraceae family, which in general I am not allergic to.  I've never tried JAs, but botanically speaking they should be fine.  I'm going to pick some up and experiment. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2075 on: March 18, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
Well... I went to a wedding yesterday all prepared having eaten beforehand, but plans changed, and where we ended up much later, I couldn't *quite* be compliant and also not hungry. It was more AIP no-nos than other stuff, but as the food wasn't made by me, I can't be entirely sure, either. I felt no adverse effects, but I am also in the middle of a pretty bad pain spell as well, so I probably wouldn't have noticed any worsening.

I'm not worried. I've really been enjoying this way of eating, so doing it longer if need be won't be a problem. Today is my cousin's birthday, so I may just choose to be a little lax today as well (again, just on spices) and then jump back into things tonight. Symptom relief or no, it's been really nice doubling my veggie intake, and I won't be stopping that anytime soon.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2076 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »

(2) keeping up my exercise routine.  How does that work?  I guess I'll find out if my energy stays level, goes up, or down.  (3) keeping weight on.

Trifele, not sure what you are doing for exercise, but you may want to consider taking a break or modifying while you are doing whole 30. It will be hard to get enough calories while you are doing this if you are following AIP and have other allergies as well. Also, one of the main reasons to do this is to heal and give your body a break. Exercise, by it's definition, stresses the body. 

Are you able to up or supplement your gelatin intake? It'll also help with the healing, especially of the gut.

I like roasting/bbq'ing pineapple for a bit of variety. Also if you can make bone broth, a lot of those veggies would be good in a soup!

I think getting lots of healthy fats is going to be pretty key for you.

You can do it! We are here to support you!

Mezzie - Sounds like a challenging day and you did the best you could. Sorry you are going through pain spell. Sending you lots of healthy, feel good thoughts!

Nottoolate - glad to hear your thoughts and attitudes around food are shifting, the mental part of it is the hardest and most important for lasting change. You are rocking it!

Update time! What is your biggest success so far, and what is one way the rest of the group can support you?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:39:15 AM by swick »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2077 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »
Thank you Swick! You read my mind.  I run regularly, and I think I may have to back way off on it this month.  I also picked up a bunch of nice marrow bones this morning and they are in the crock pot right now. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2078 on: March 18, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
Trifele - thanks for the list. Here is what I came up with so far:

Savory Lotus CREAMY SWEET POTATO BACON CHOWDER (note: I would use chard or spinach in lieu of kale if that works wtter for you) (DAIRY FREE) https://www.savorylotus.com/creamy-sweet-potato-bacon-chowder-dairy-free/

Egg drop soup
http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/09/23/anti-inflammatory-egg-drop-soup

BUTTERNUT SAUSAGE BAKE WITH KALE AND TOMATO CREAM {PALEO}   (note: sub kale for chard or spinach)   http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-butternut-sausage-bake-with-kale/

Chipotle Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (note: obviously I would skip the mozzarella, but this sounds good with ground beef or sausage on the side to make for a full meal)    http://thestayathomechef.com/chipotle-twice-baked-sweet-potatoes/

Swiss chard pesto. Add this to anything. Make meatballs, pile on top of julienned squash, bake on chicken or salmon: http://www.louloubiscuit.com/swiss-chard-pesto/

Sweet potato puttanesca (omit tomatoes and olives if allergic) http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/sweet-potato-puttanesca-with-chicken-and-swiss-chard

Wraps using chard. Taylor Cooper on instagram just posted a very delicious wrap. You may want some different vegetables, but she gave great alternatives, like using different lettuce leaves or different proteins. I am going to do this soon!

Also, Taylor Cooper (or see whole30 instagram, since she took over the last few days), she talked about making "burgers" using two thick round sweet potatoes with a burger in between (you could do ground turkey or beef) and add some spinach and a nice homemade mayo. Apparently this is very good so I will be trying this soon too.

Do you have the Whole 30 cookbook that just came out? In thumbing through it, I found things like (I mention these recipes specifically because there is likely something kind of similar on the internet that you could find to get close enough to these ideas):

- Slow cooker pork lettuce wraps with spicy peach salsa (I think pineapple could absolutely be subbed here)

- beef and squash collard green enchiladas (can you eat collards? You mentioned other leafy veg. So not sure). I was planning on making it since it looks amazing!!!!!

- Spicy pineapple kabobs (exclude peppers, but everything else seems great for you)

- easy beef mushroom and rosemary ragout (I would exclude tomatoes and maybe use butternut squash instead?)

- sweet potato breakfast stacks (basically using a thick sweet potato round as a base), topped with spinach, complaint bacon, and a poached egg on top

- scrambled egg breakfast tacos with quick cider-chipotle breakfast sausage (it includes avocado, you previously mentioned you were good with it, did you take it off the green light list?l

- Sausage mushroom frittata (sub argula for maybe red leaf or green leaf lettuce?)

- thai coconut chicken soup

I hope this starter list helps!

Edited to fix my silly typos

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:47:13 PM by nottoolatetostart »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2079 on: March 18, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »
HOLY COW Nottoolate!  I love you.  I think many of these will totally work!

These ideas sound so awesome.  Thank you.  You may have saved my Whole30.  :)

Now if I can convince my husband to have some of these delicious meals ready when I get home from work, I'll have reached nirvana.  :)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2080 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »
HOLY COW Nottoolate!  I love you.  I think many of these will totally work!

These ideas sound so awesome.  Thank you.  You may have saved my Whole30.  :)

Now if I can convince my husband to have some of these delicious meals ready when I get home from work, I'll have reached nirvana.  :)

Yes, husbands in the kitchen would be nirvana. Mine tends to make messes though and only makes sugary desserts.

Let us know if you encounter any obstacles and we can all brainstorm. I was not sure about onions and garlic for you (I once worked with a lady allergic to garlic and saw first hand while we were traveling her difficulty in finding garlic free food). If any of those suggestions are too spicy, just leave it out. I rarely eat spicy because of my kids so i always omit the spice if kids will be eating it and no change in taste. Also, try Pinterest if you have not already. I just typed in "chard whole30" , etc too to get a few recipes. I feel like there are so many options. I hope you come from a place of plethora rather than restriction. Good luck!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2081 on: March 18, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
I have a high fever. If there's one pattern I've noticed, it's that my pain is worst before an illness -- even something as simple as a cold. I should have seen this coming.

All the more reason to eat veggies and keep my immune system up.

On another note, my husband made this delicious baked pear with pistachios and mustard. It sounded like an odd combo, but it was amazing.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2082 on: March 19, 2017, 04:45:40 AM »
Mezzie - please take care of yourself. A high fever must mean you are fighting something nasty. I hope for a speedy recovery for you. And the pain subsides. So sorry

Your husband's dish sounds amazing!!!!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2083 on: March 19, 2017, 05:15:46 AM »
Update time! What is your biggest success so far, and what is one way the rest of the group can support you?

Just continued support. My success so far is why I started program:to have more energy and I definitely feel it. I am worried about reintroduction and kind of don't want to allow myself to indulge for fear of no self-control and I am back where I started. Pathetic, right?

Day 7 is the books! I felt pretty good yesterday. We are refinancing and appraiser came yesterday. Instead of dreading the whole house pick up and clean (I was not expecting her for few more days), I actually enjoyed the task of moving around (craved it!) and handled the situation well. I was dancing and moving the whole time and had tons of energy afterwards. A week ago, I definitely would have needed nap and lounged around on couch for rest of the day. Went for family walk to the grocery store later in the afternoon.

I made steak with a fun chimichurri sauce (freah cilantro, fresh parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes) for dinner and roasted potato wedges. DH loved it and was suprised that I could eat that on Whole 30. The dinner was not satisfying to me, like I still needed something (abnormal for me so far) so I had a banana (I don't know if that was ok technically but my family was enjoying a local gourmet cookies and cream ice cream, so I am going to say I did ok, plus I only eat 1-2 fruits per day). Banana hit the spot and then I moved on with life instead of thinking about food. Steak salad with red onion, maybe avocado, and with some kind of homemade dressing for lunch today....can't wait!

Discovered Califa Unsweetened Almond milk and tried it this morning with my coffee. Really does a much better job than coconut cream and gives that slight touch of creamy. I could see me using this long-term instead of my full fat half & half.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2084 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
I'm so excited to see this thread as I am on Day 20 of the Whole30.  I was just going to give up alcohol for Lent then decided to do Whole30 and now I'm going to do Whole45 which will get me through Lent.  I feel great!  I had had a really annoying cough for MONTHS and could not shake it.  Turns out it was chronic post-nasal drip, likely aggravated by my addiction to cheese.  Four days after starting Whole30, the cough was gone!  I can breathe through my nose!!!!  Woo hoo.

Regarding recipes, I made this for my book club last week and they LOVED it - http://paleogrubs.com/indian-paleo-stew-recipe

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2085 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »
Welcome Bergal! Congrats on your success! There are many supportive people here on this thread.  It'a been a super helpful resource. I am glad to hear you are feeling great. Has your Tiger Blood hit yet? How does it feel?

I am working on day 9 today.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2086 on: March 20, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
Next time I do this I need more than 30 days clear. Because traveling with no real planning and eating what was offered while visiting was ick. Sugary "treats", fast food, way too much salt, grains with/as every meal. I feel hung over and a bit sleepy...but mostly just so stupid thirsty that I can't stand it. Another trip is immanent. Ugh!

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2087 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
Thanks, nottoolatetostart!  This thread has been wonderful and I enjoy reading about the experiences of others.  I think the Tiger Blood has kicked in - I am feeling energetic, no late afternoon slumps and I'm sleeping really well.  I just had an 11 hour day at work and I'm not tired at all.  I've also noticed my mood is more stable.  I'm hoping I can keep some of these healthy habits when I am off the Whole45.

I also found this recipe which looks amazing .  I'm going to try it this weekend.  Chorizo sausage sweet potato frittata with carmelized onions!  http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-sausage-sweet-potato-frittata/

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2088 on: March 21, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »
Checking in. Day 4 is in the books.  First three days were super rough.  My energy plummeted and I could barely move.  I felt sick/nauseous and was not sleeping well.  This is an extreme change for me, since I normally have great energy and sleep like a baby.  I'll be honest -- I seriously thought about bailing out on this.  But then I thought about all the preparation I put into it, not to mention all the work Nottoolate put in, looking up recipes I could actually eat on my insane, AIP-extreme, food allergy version of the Whole30!  So i decided to stick it out a while longer.

I felt better yesterday and was able to go to work. Slept ok last night, so maybe I have turned the corner.  I read about what happens when you take a normal/healthy person and suddenly put them on a very low-carb diet, and sounds like pretty much what I experienced the first few days.   Strange -- did not expect my energy to dip quite so much. 

Very interesting experiment, this. It gives me a whole new appreciation of food as pure fuel.  And how our bodies react to varying proportions of protein, carb, and fats. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2089 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:16 AM »
Bergal - the recipe sounds great.

Trifele - gosh! I am so sorry to hear how incredibly rough these last few days have been. Do you think you are getting enough carbs? So weird you felt good before and now no good. Is it because you are going easier on running? I am glad you are feeling better today and get a little relief.  Don't worry about the recipes I found....it is something I enjoy and generally do every day depending on what ingredients I have on hand

Update: today is day 10 for me. I got a good night's rest last night finally without waking up. I am grouchy today for no good reason. So I feel meh. I am just trying to keep focused. Broke down and bought a spiralizer over the weekend. Made zoodles last night to go on top of a ginger coconut chicken (from Whole30 cookbook) and they were very, very good. I love how fast they cook. I realize  that this trend of spiralizing everything started years ago and just this weekend I hopped on the band wagon. Better late than never.

I did get pretty food sick on Sunday. I made the breakfast sausage tacos from the Whole 30 book - - so, so good.  Like reminded me of grad school days good. However, I rarely eat scrambled eggs even though I make them nearly every day for my kids. I may have a bite or two, no more than one egg to myself. Same thing with avocado...I don't eat a lot and was doing fine with eating up to a half in one sitting. The breakfast tacos had eggs and avocado in it and I felt terrible shortly after, like I had to lie down, husband watch kids, curl up in bed terrible for at least an hour. I don't know which one caused it but I had some of that same avocado later in the day in a steak salad and I was fine. So maybe the scrambled eggs bothered me? Or the sheer quantity in the breakfast tacos? The pork, lettuce, hot sauce were the only other ingredients, which I can eat no problem. It's not an experiment I want to try again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2090 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Trifele - gosh! I am so sorry to hear how incredibly rough these last few days have been. Do you think you are getting enough carbs? So weird you felt good before and now no good.

I think you are right Nottoolate -- it was the sudden switch to very-low-carb.  Feeling much better today

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2091 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
I've started AIP reintro.  I added ghee back in and it is fine.  But yesterday I did green beans and then gave into a salt craving and had a handful of pumpkin seeds.  I woke up feeling all groggy and sore this morning.  So backing off for a couple of days and then I'll try again. One thing at a time.  The way you're actually supposed to do it. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2092 on: March 22, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

I did get pretty food sick on Sunday. I made the breakfast sausage tacos from the Whole 30 book - - so, so good.  Like reminded me of grad school days good. However, I rarely eat scrambled eggs even though I make them nearly every day for my kids. I may have a bite or two, no more than one egg to myself. Same thing with avocado...I don't eat a lot and was doing fine with eating up to a half in one sitting. The breakfast tacos had eggs and avocado in it and I felt terrible shortly after, like I had to lie down, husband watch kids, curl up in bed terrible for at least an hour. I don't know which one caused it but I had some of that same avocado later in the day in a steak salad and I was fine. So maybe the scrambled eggs bothered me? Or the sheer quantity in the breakfast tacos? The pork, lettuce, hot sauce were the only other ingredients, which I can eat no problem. It's not an experiment I want to try again.

If you are not used to eating breakfast and have a large amount of food, Your stomach can go into  "Nope, this is no good,  gotta digest this" mode which can leave you feeling pretty horrible. It took me a long time to get back into the habit of having breakfast and I had to start (and still often) have to eat little amounts spread out.

I'm so excited to see this thread as I am on Day 20 of the Whole30.  I was just going to give up alcohol for Lent then decided to do Whole30 and now I'm going to do Whole45 which will get me through Lent.  I feel great!  I had had a really annoying cough for MONTHS and could not shake it.  Turns out it was chronic post-nasal drip, likely aggravated by my addiction to cheese.  Four days after starting Whole30, the cough was gone!  I can breathe through my nose!!!!  Woo hoo.

Welcome, Bergal. Isn't it amazing when the breathing clears up? It's like you don't realize how bad it is until you don't have to live with it any longer! And speaking as a reformed cheese addict who said they would never, ever be able to give it up, it gets easier and the difference is so remarkable that you want to keep it up. I have found that my breathing goes to shit for about 8-12 hours, so the occasional worthy cheese splurge still happens, I just know what I'm going to pay for it now.

Next time I do this I need more than 30 days clear. Because traveling with no real planning and eating what was offered while visiting was ick. Sugary "treats", fast food, way too much salt, grains with/as every meal. I feel hung over and a bit sleepy...but mostly just so stupid thirsty that I can't stand it. Another trip is immanent. Ugh!

Ugh, sounds tough, Mongoose! Travel is hard to navigate at the best of times. Just make the best choices you can and try to limit the icky.

Checking in. Day 4 is in the books.  First three days were super rough.  My energy plummeted and I could barely move.  I felt sick/nauseous and was not sleeping well.  This is an extreme change for me, since I normally have great energy and sleep like a baby.  I'll be honest -- I seriously thought about bailing out on this.  But then I thought about all the preparation I put into it, not to mention all the work Nottoolate put in, looking up recipes I could actually eat on my insane, AIP-extreme, food allergy version of the Whole30!  So i decided to stick it out a while longer.

I felt better yesterday and was able to go to work. Slept ok last night, so maybe I have turned the corner.  I read about what happens when you take a normal/healthy person and suddenly put them on a very low-carb diet, and sounds like pretty much what I experienced the first few days.   Strange -- did not expect my energy to dip quite so much. 

Very interesting experiment, this. It gives me a whole new appreciation of food as pure fuel.  And how our bodies react to varying proportions of protein, carb, and fats. 

How are you doing, Trifele? Sounds like your body is going through quite an adjustment. I think you just have to power through, but also listen to your body and do what is best for you and disregard any arbitrary rules, especially with how strict you are being. You also need to make sure you have a healthy mindset, as such restrictions and tracking so much can lead to problems with food obsession/anorexic behaviour. Not saying this is you, just realize it is easy to slip into without realizing it.

Nottoolate - Butternut squash makes my favorite spiralized noodle substitute! Also, way to go on getting through day 10 and thank you for supporting everyone in the thread. You rock!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2093 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »
Bad news guys....back to day 1. Don't worry, I didn't cave to cupcakes or wine but rather unknowingly from my breakfast. I get all of my meat generally from a cute little Italian market. I didn't even think they put ingredients on their butcher shop items and didn't read the label on the pork sausage. Today I was walking by and thought to check it (I felt so weird on Sunday and even yesterday - the only two days that I had the pork sausage - and it didn't make sense that eggs or avocado would make me feel this way). The second to last ingredient is MSG. Obviously, if I had known, I would not have consumed and still be conpliant. I am so upset but want to play by the rules, yet still acknowledge that for 11 days I did make the right choices vs. Going back to my old ways. Going forward, I will now say day 11/1 (or whatever we are on). Deflating but oh well...minor inconvenience.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2094 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
OK Day 1 is in the books.  I got home last night from my trip so didn't have time to do proper grocery shopping, so had to scrounge a bit to make a compliant breakfast and lunch.  Stocked up on veggies and odds and ends on the way home and had a good dinner.

Felt very full after M1 and M2 so had a smallish M3.  Craved something sweet after dinner so indulged in half a frozen banana.  It'll be hardest to limit my fruit intake for 30 days, because I LOVE all fruits.

So far I'm feeling the Day 1 "what's the big deal?"

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2095 on: March 23, 2017, 04:30:52 AM »
Hang in there Nottoolate!  You are very tough.  We are all cheering for you.   Major respect for your strength in wanting to stick to the rules you laid out!

Day 6 in the books here.  I am feeling better than the first three days, but still very low energy.  Can't exercise the way I usually do, so I am just walking.  I am definitely getting enough calories, so I believe this energy slump is caused by the switch to low-carb.  I don't feel like I ate too many carbs before, but wow is this a major change.  On the positive side -- no allergy symptoms right now.   Since that was my whole reason for doing this, it appears that this "cleanse" is working.   Really looking forward to the re-introduction phase to figure out which food(s) it was!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2096 on: March 23, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Week three done. Nothing to note.

I was kind of hoping the lack of dairy would help my allergies, but no such luck. Those are probably 100% due to working next to a refinery and a busy port.

I'm going to add eggs a bit sooner than planned, I think.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2097 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »
Okay! Plan is for DH and I to use up our current stock of dairy and then head toward doing our first ever whole 30. For a long time we ate primal, but have loosened up over the past ~ year as we've focused more on saving money and things that work for really awful travel for work schedules. We've done eliminations before through paleo eating, but never the whole-hog w30.

Anyway, a couple question to help with my planning, hoping you guys can help.
1- DH and I are both very active. The way we manage this now is through rice. We get the big bag of jasmine at costco. Other grains seem problematic after elimination in the past (wheat for him, corn for me). Both of us seem fine with rice, but as I've said, we've never done a whole 30 before. I can't eat very many potatoes at one time (this includes sweet potatoes). And due to a metabolic disorder, I'm limited in how much fat I can metabolize at any given time. (For all you medical nerds out there, I'm a partially expressive carrier for Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency). In practical terms, what this means is I need to keep a balance of fats and carbs in my diet, otherwise my blood sugar drops- and when it does, it goes *fast*. Which brings me to the question: what are our options for getting enough carbs to support activity level and in my case BS stability, especially since I can barely eat ~1/4 of a potato at a time before finding them revolting? Can we just keep doing rice and do a crappy version of w30, or does that totally defeat the purpose?
(Although it just occured to me I can do more potato/sweet potato if I fry them up. But that seems a- like a lot of work and b- maybe not super healthy all the time? Haha)
2- I got through #1 and forgot my second question! So uh... I'll come back to this I guess.

jordanread

« Reply #2098 on: March 23, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
BJ. I've had good luck with shredding miscellaneous squash as a base for curries and the like. They are a compliant way to add additional calories/fillers/flavor vehicles.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2099 on: March 23, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
...And due to a metabolic disorder, I'm limited in how much fat I can metabolize at any given time. (For all you medical nerds out there, I'm a partially expressive carrier for Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency). In practical terms, what this means is I need to keep a balance of fats and carbs in my diet, otherwise my blood sugar drops- and when it does, it goes *fast*....

How does this compare to functional/reactive hypoglycemia. I assume it's very different... ? Or maybe very much alike. Either way, I'm just happy to report that my experience on Whole30 is/was (slowly reintroducing things now) that my blood sugar has been pretty good (stable) throughout. I think that's probably mostly because of the lack of alcohol and added sugar, though, which I think would be different from your need for fats/carbs. I do eat a lot of fruit, so it's not like sugar isn't a part of my life, but most fruits have fiber that go along with the sugar, and that seems to make a difference.

As it is now, we don't eat any added sugars. And the past 7 months, we've been doing 2 weeks with alcohol, 2 weeks off, because we've been trying to conceive. (Which is why we want to do whole 30, since we've had no luck so far). Alcohol does make my blood sugar less stable the next day, though. But not in a huge way- it seems like as long as I get breakfast with enough protein and fat in close to waking up, and avoid major stress, my BS is pretty stable nowadays.

My biggest concern is just getting enough carbs to support activity levels. With enough of a transition period, DH does fine on a lower carb/keto approach, but it takes him a couple weeks to make the switch. I, on the other hand, am limited in how low I can go because of the metabolic issue. It's not a blood sugar question (since that's secondary) so much as a "I have a very low supply of the cellular machinery that breaks down fats" so I will never be able to go really low carb. From past experimenting, it seems 50g carbs when I'm less active, 75g carbs when I'm active, seems to be my lower limit. So how do I achieve this with potatoes, or do I add some rice and call it a medical compromise?

BJ. I've had good luck with shredding miscellaneous squash as a base for curries and the like. They are a compliant way to add additional calories/fillers/flavor vehicles.

Oh interesting. How do you shred them? And I'm assuming you cook them somehow before adding things on top- boil them? Fry them? Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!