Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427035 times)

Cranberries

• Stubble
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Today was hard. It was a couple of people on my team's last day, so my boss brought us out to lunch. I managed to eat whole30 approved, but had to order much less food then I would normally eat in order to stay in the same price range as the others. And one of my coworkers brought cookies to the office so all afternoon my hungry self was trying not to notice the chocolate chip cookies that were calling to me.

Made it through though. Ceviche eaten off of the top of a tostada shell for lunch and no cookies=win.

Only 3 more days. My plan is to test out cheese for a day, wait a couple days, then binge eat blueberry pie for two days before I do another whole30. Perhaps not the most mature strategy, but it'll do for me.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »
Today was hard. It was a couple of people on my team's last day, so my boss brought us out to lunch. I managed to eat whole30 approved, but had to order much less food then I would normally eat in order to stay in the same price range as the others. And one of my coworkers brought cookies to the office so all afternoon my hungry self was trying not to notice the chocolate chip cookies that were calling to me.

Made it through though. Ceviche eaten off of the top of a tostada shell for lunch and no cookies=win.

Only 3 more days. My plan is to test out cheese for a day, wait a couple days, then binge eat blueberry pie for two days before I do another whole30. Perhaps not the most mature strategy, but it'll do for me.

You're kicking ass and doing great! I despise when people bring crapfood to work - you are kinda trapped and it's not easy to get away from, so you just have to will yourself through it. Good Job!

Good deal that you've set a reward day(s) for yourself when you reach 30. Can you do some exercise before/during/after to earn some calorie deficit before the pie?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
Replying to follow. 

Did this and had a thread on in in January.  Would love to do it again if I can get a month lined of free of work travel and house guests.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2015, 01:17:20 AM »
Ok, I'm back and returning to Day 1 today. Did about 10 good days while on holiday but then one slip turned into an avalanche and I was back eating unhealthy again. I felt so great while I was doing it but the family social pressure got too much. Really felt like shit when I ate  badly and my seasonal allergies kicked in minutes after eating dairy. Feeling strong starting again -not gonna explain my diet to anyone, just gonna do it. Even went to a kids birthday party with a big spread of food and ate just a handful of grapes. Went shopping today and went crazy with new fruits and vegetables - blood oranges, lemonades and witloof on top of the usuals. I'm hoping I can entice the whole family into more healthy foods eventually.  Great to see you're all still going strong.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Can you do some exercise before/during/after to earn some calorie deficit before the pie?

Nah. I'm losing weight fast enough for my tastes - maybe even a little faster then is ideal. Plus I get a lot of exercise from my work, so I am happy with where that stands. Thanks for the kind words though!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Onto Day 2 (well, 6 days since I started, but 2 restarts) and its going well. Had 2 poached eggs over diced avocado and tomato. It is so unlike me to eat so well! haha

Was tempted by the scale, but refused to step on. But I am noticing my current clothes are not feeling as tight, so that's kinda cool. Also, last night as I was getting ready for bed, I could almost say that my face was looking thinner.

I love reading about everyone else's victories on here. So neat to see Botanist scraping civeche off a tostada, KiwiSonya trying out new fruits, mom22boys educating her parents about eating, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the great encouragement. It was so disappointing to knowingly go off the plan at the party, but I have clear sailing ahead.

Well, except for a weekend away with my husband. But he is 100% supportive of my efforts, and although he's not doing the entire Whole30 himself, when he's home, he is doing it right along side me.  If anyone has any suggestions for surviving a weekend in a hotel while on Whole30, I'd be grateful!

Have a great day of eating, everyone~!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:42:05 PM by 1967mama »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Hi '67, have you found the official Whole30 travel guide? It's one of their pdf's.  Also, mom22boys did some work travel during her whole30, and she might be willing to share her tips.

mom22boys, if your mom decides to continue, or tries again, try suggesting she monitor sodium intake. Shifting to a whole30 style eating can radically drop folks sodium intake, and the change in electrolytes causes headaches. Even people with blood pressure problems have a sodium floor they shouldn't drop below. Though you should probably use a doctor's help to find that sweet spot, and not, you know, me.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2015, 12:24:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip, SS! Checking out the link, forthwith!

Tonite I survived an evening of appies and desserts (butter tart squares and nanaimo bars) at my mom's house by bringing a honeydew melon and a pineapple -- we cut them up and made a fruit tray together. I'm so happy that I can do this! My mom is very understanding and I did tell her a bit about my Whole30 adventure tonight. She's battled her weight her whole life and is quite heavy.

I think I have my Thanksgiving dinner all planned out (Canada) and there are several dishes that I can eat, or will pull out a portion before I sauce things up for the rest of the fam. I will be eating lots of turkey, carrots, and sweet potato mash from the Whole30 website. I'm going to try and thicken the gravy with something on plan.

For dinner tonight, we bbq'd chicken thighs and I made a Whole30 compliant bbq sauce which was just excellent. It was sweetened with applesauce -- who woulda thunk it?! Sooooo good!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2015, 12:58:53 AM »
Hi '67, have you found the official Whole30 travel guide? It's one of their pdf's

So I've read this guide now, and there were some great suggestions there! Now, I have 2 questions:

1) Are we allowed deli meat? I assumed it all had nitrates in it and was therefore not plan compliant
2) Is an Rx bar like this?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
1. I don't frequent the deli counter very often, but I think some brands are nitrate free. Applegate springs to mind. It's increasingly available in American supermarkets. If your destination is a city, 'd say stalk, hunt, then attack the fanciest grocery you can find. If its more remote, can you bring a cooler?

2. No no no, son! Those bars are not the drones you seek! The packaging doesn't have anywhere near enough of the smug hipster locavore clean food vibe the whole30 approved Rx bars have. They are here. I've never tried one because they cost ~$2.16/bar, and something about the pretention really puts my teeth on edge. I go for Lara Bars, which are still a whopping $1.40 'round about these parts. If you get Lara bars, check the ingredients because some have added sugar.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Thanks for answering my questions, Sailor Sam! Much appreciated!

Today I made ketchup that is Whole30 compliant  .. it was delicious on my fried potatoes and onions (in EVOO, of course). I had my hamburger on 2 pieces of lettuce and ate a delicious dinner like everyone else, except mine was healthy!

I couldn't help myself, and weighed in after 1 week on program (Day 3, but 2 restarts) and I'm down 4.8 lbs! I'm psyched! I know you're not supposed to but this is a drastic improvement from weighing myself a few times a day.

I had an interesting dilemma at church today when we took communion -- when the tray of bread was about 2 rows away from me, I had an "OH NO!" moment when I realized I would be willingly putting wheat in my mouth. Yes, I took the bread and continued on with my Whole30 plan. I''ve made a personal decision that this is not cause for a restart.

ETA link
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:26:49 PM by 1967mama »

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »
Tomorrow is the last day of my whole 30 and I was near a scale today so I weighed in a little early. I had weighed myself about half way through so it wasn't really a surprise, but I have lost 15 lbs. I am quite happy about it, but also a little alarmed at how fast it has dropped.

Depending on where I plateau this gives me only 15-20 lbs to lose, and 20 lbs would take me back to what I weighed when I was 18.

I am having trouble finding reliable info on whether this rate of weight loss is dangerous. Many sources claim it is but they are basing it on the assumption that someone is eating nothing but grapefruit to achieve it. Do any of you have any good information sources on the topic? I am wondering if I should change how I do this next time around to lose weight slower.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
Wow, lots going on this weekend! 

KiwiSonja - Welcome back!  Great job on the early trial, and now you can rock it out!

Sailor - Thanks for the tip on the sodium. At first I thought they weren't eating enough....but I never thought of sodium being the issue.  Likely too little, considering what they were normally eating.

1967mama - I have NEVER found a deli meat that was compliant. They almost all have either nitrates, sugar, or both. I'm sure there is some, somewhere, but like bacon it's really hard to find.  You have to just buy a turkey breast and bake it at home. I haven't done any bars during this because that would be SWYPO for me.  They are too much like a candy bar, and I LOVE chocolate, so too much of a trigger.

For your trip, I would highly recommend calling the hotel and finding out if you have a fridge in your room. I wish I had done that for my work trip (I DID have one), because it would have been much easier. I found that it's actually quite hard to find breakfast and lunch that is compliant when you are eating out. Even getting just chicken breast on a salad w/o dressing will be non-compliant.  Why?  Because they add preservatives to the chicken. I found that out the hard way on my first Whole30. Next time, for breakfast and lunch I would take hard boiled eggs, tuna or chicken in a can (don't forget the can opener), avocado or guac, nuts, fruit.  You can get as basic or fancy as you want.  Supper was a little easier, since you can typically find a steakhouse that will have a steak and baked potato or salad.

Communion - I also took communion during September. The book specifically talks about it, and they basically said 'we aren't messing with God, so TAKE it'. I did and didn't feel guilty at all.  But holy, moly was that grape juice SA.WEET! No wine at my church.

Can you post the bbq sauce you made? I still want to make that and ketchup sometime.

Botanist - I'm in the same boat with the weight loss.  I'm losing very fast, which is good and bad. I definitely haven't felt hungry at all, and it's a great feeling to be able to naturally put the breaks on eating when I'm satisfied, rather than stuffing myself. But....still question how healthy it is????

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
mom22boys,

Here's the BBQ sauce recipe (I'm sorry, I forgot to source it when I cut and pasted it into my email). It took just a minute to make. The ketchup was even faster. I'm seriously considering switching to the ketchup for my family -- it was that easy and that tasty!

BBQ SAUCE: 1 can tomato paste (6oz) 1/4 cup tomato sauce 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup unsweetened 100% apple sauce 1 tbsp coconut aminos 1 1/2 tsp chili powder 1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (see note below) 1 tsp paprika 1 tsp sea salt 1/2 tsp black pepper 1/4 tsp all spice 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional) a few dashes hot sauce to taste (I like Trader Joe’s hot pepper sauce)

Also, thanks for the great tips on staying in a hotel! I looked on the hotel website and you can rent a fridge for $10 a day and a microwave for $5 a day, IIRC.  Not sure what to do, since I'm there for 3 days .. its at the end of this month so I have a bit of time to stew on it ;-)

Thanks, also, for the information on communion. I don't have the book yet -- I was checking where I am in the hold line last night at the library website and I"m the 10th hold on 6 copies IIRC, but then I noticed its on order! GRRR! I'm sorely tempted to go buy the book today!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
CONGRATS on DAY 30 - Botanist!

1967mama - I know this may be considered anti-mustachian, but I would buy the book. I went the frist week and a bit without it, and ended up finding out that my mom had a copy I could borrow. It was so, so much easier once I had the book, all the info at the beginning about why things are or aren't or are allowed, the timeline, questions to ask, and the psychology behind it, and some great recipes! It made it easier, and I felt more effective.

You can find most of the info on the website, but having it all clearly laid out and easily accessible for reference was worth it for me.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

1967mama - I know this may be considered anti-mustachian, but I would buy the book. I went the frist week and a bit without it, and ended up finding out that my mom had a copy I could borrow. It was so, so much easier once I had the book, all the info at the beginning about why things are or aren't or are allowed, the timeline, questions to ask, and the psychology behind it, and some great recipes! It made it easier, and I felt more effective.

You can find most of the info on the website, but having it all clearly laid out and easily accessible for reference was worth it for me.
+1 - It would have been really hard to this without the book.  In fact, I bought both books, Whole30 and It Starts with Food (to get more of the science behind it). If you have Costco, I bought my Whole30 book there, and it was only $17.  Super deal!  I gave that book to my parents, and unfortunately they were out of the books at Costco so I bought a second book at B&N....$30!  Yikesss....but still worth the money.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
Catching up on posts and wanted to check in -- Day 24 here:) Trip went well, I stayed compliant but didn't really eat "template" meals.... but I stayed compliant and am super happy about that! Beef jerky from US wellness, apples, small packages of nut butters, and an RX Bar really saved me. I still have a lingering cough from my cold last week so I should probably suck it up and go to the doctor, even though I was hoping not to. Bummer!

Congrats to Botanist on finishing! Thank you for sharing your details about your weight loss -- how are you feeling in general?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:40:56 PM by Liz »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
If all you want is the science, you can read The Primal Blueprint in place of It Starts With Food. TPB will run you through the idea behind an 'ancestral' diet, with chapters on inflammation theorized to come from ingesting grains, legumes, and sugars. TPB also has a lot'o info on glycogenesis. However, if you crave the exact theory behind the specific Whole30 program, then It Starts With Food would be better.

Again, not a doctor, but I've done research and never run across anything substantial showing rapid weight loss is dangerous to anyone's health. The metabolic issues come from cycling weight on yo-yo dieting. Keep in mind that any return to a higher carbohydrate mode of living will bring some scale pounds back in retained water. Carbohydrate literally means hydrated carbon, and each glycogen molecules has 3-4 grams of water. You've spend 30 days with reduced glycogen (even if you never made it into ketosis), so your body flushed the extra water. If you return to eating > ~100g of carbohydrates per day, the water will also come back. Don't freak out if the scale goes up.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »

Congrats to Botanist on finishing! Thank you for sharing your details about your weight loss -- how are you feeling in general?

I feel great, but there is another large unrelated thing that I changed this month, and it would be impossible to figure out how much of the increase in energy is due to diet.

However, I do know the following things are diet related:
15 lbs weight loss
Huge decrease in bloating.
Steadier blood sugar.
substantial reduction in joint aches.
General decrease in inflammation related symptoms.
Amazing, huge, spectacular decrease in sugar and wheat cravings.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:05:58 PM by Botanist »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
Congratulations, Botanist! Your list is so encouraging to read!

I was wondering, if a person could only choose one of the two books, which one would you choose?

Also, a huge success today .. I made it through Thanksgiving (Canada) 100% Whole30 compliant. I actually cannot believe it! This is so not like me. The hardest part was resisting the Pumpkin Cheesecake with real whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon on top. But it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I wanted to stay on Day 4 more than I wanted to eat that cheesecake. It wasn't terribly hard making dinner, and I made sure to have a few dishes that I could safely eat.

I am feeling like my body is taking up less space -- does that sound weird? I just feel like a little tiny bit smaller when I walk around. I also am noticing that I'm not getting any brain fog, which is so neat!

I talked to my husband about getting a little fridge brought up to our hotel room the weekend we are away.  (I found out on the website that they are available for a small fee). It would be cheaper than me dining out. I was also thinking that I know his exact meeting schedule (he will be eating at the meetings except for on the Friday) and so I can make myself a detailed meal plan in advance. I need to make sure that I bring enough food to last me the whole weekend. A steakhouse on the Friday night is a great idea! A steak and baked potato, veggies, no butter, and I will smuggle in some clarified butter! hahhah

Oh, and I also made Whole30 mayo for the first time today and it was fabulous on my tuna that topped a big veggie salad. Like I said before, I can't believe I'm eating so well .. this is sooooooo uncharacteristic of me!

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone. Please keep posting success stories for us newbies. I'm interested to learn what people do when they get to the end of their Whole 30!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:29:33 PM by 1967mama »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »
Botanist!  Way to go!  You made it!  I agree that your list of wins is very inspiring.  What's your plan going forward?

1967mama  Definitely go with the Whole30 book, rather than It Starts With Food. They have way more recipes, with nice color photos.  That was big for me because it helped me mentally get past the 'this eating is boring' attitude. There is some awesome looking food pics in the book, and the taste to go with them! Also, I think you have a good handle on your weekend plan. And also....WOW, super impressed with your Thanksgiving eating. Pumpkin pie/cake/cheesecake is one of my favorites, and I think I would have a hard time. But, we'll see this year, maybe it will be different. :-)

Well, I haven't started the reintro yet, but I have to confess I've gone a little beyond just adding trace sugar.  Last night I had some Costco rotisserie chicken, which definitely has things NOT on plan. I feel a little guilty today. I'm a little torn as to whether I should just call it good, and start the reinto, or whether it's small enough like trace sugar to not impact my reintro. Guess I need to read the ingredient better tonight. Maybe I'll go back to pure Whole30 for a week, and then start the reintro. Honestly I feel great and am a little scared to even try the reintro, just incase I get that sugar dragon back.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
^ mom22boys ~ Just curious --- what were the off-road ingredients in the chicken and how are you feeling today from eating it?

1967mama ~ Big YAY for you!!! You should be proud of your strength and discipline! I know I am impressed:)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:39:37 AM by Liz »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
Thanks for the reminder of water weight (and what it actually is) SailorSam, Helps me feel better, despite not seeing the huge weight loss I was hoping for, I do feel lighter and trimmer and can "see" a difference and that is a good start!

Awesome job on surviving Thanksgiving 1967mama! I thought I had dodged a bullet by going to my parents house - They made an awesome compliant meal of carrots, roasted beets, squash, horseradish, Brussels, potatoes and romanesco from their garden and a prime rib - all topped with the cilantro lime dressing from the whole 30 cookbook. It was great!

On the way up we stopped at Hubby's grandmother's who invited us for Thanksgiving dinner next Sunday, this will be the very tough one, his family doesn't get it, no matter how much we explain what we are doing. Case in point, Grandma hands us a bag of Halloween candy, we say "thanks but we are not eating sugar right now" - she says: "That is good, it is so bad for you!" So take this candy and have as much as you'd like and then give the rest to your brother."

I am also NOT allowed to bring anything to Thanksgiving supper. Our strategy is to eat beforehand, have a few token pieces of Turkey and have hubby answer any and all questions about what we are doing (instead of it coming from me, which makes it seem like something I am doing and hubby is just along for the ride)

Mom22boys - I hear you about the fear of reintroducing sugar and such. We decided we have to get really really detailed about tracking our intro - not sure if it is going to be a spreadsheet or what - but something along the lines of over time how does your baseline change (Hubby is going to see what he comes up with, if it is useful to anyone else, we'll share)

With the milk, there was the immediate effects, then the crap sleep, and congestion that didn't go away fro a day and a half, and my rather clear (for me) face broke out in these super painful deep under the skin zits - the ones that are painful and hard and puffy but so deep they have no head. Yay....so there are definitely short and long-term effects that are worth tracking over time.

For our reintro we have had the milk in a latte and I had a bit of organic cream in some homemade clam chowder on Sunday with my parents  (This has been planned for a while, and worth it for me) I didn't seem to have an immediate effects from the soup so I am thinking that least is a quantity thing.

Otherwise we are back on plan. I made a Thai coconut green curry with Turkey, zucchini, squash and romanesco greens for supper last night - it was super yummy!

Liz - I am super impressed (but not surprised, you rock!) you were able to stay complaint on your trip. How was it other then the food?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »
Well, I haven't started the reintro yet, but I have to confess I've gone a little beyond just adding trace sugar.  Last night I had some Costco rotisserie chicken, which definitely has things NOT on plan. I feel a little guilty today. I'm a little torn as to whether I should just call it good, and start the reinto, or whether it's small enough like trace sugar to not impact my reintro. Guess I need to read the ingredient better tonight. Maybe I'll go back to pure Whole30 for a week, and then start the reintro. Honestly I feel great and am a little scared to even try the reintro, just incase I get that sugar dragon back.

Wait, wait, calm down, take a breath!. Nothing has been lost or canceled here. I looked up the ingredients of a Costco chicken, and there are 2 off-plan ingredients: carrageenan and sugar. The tapioca and dextrin both sound scary, but they are thickeners made from potatoes. Potatoes are allowed on the Whole30. Their derivatives may not be the best choice ever, but they aren't speficially outside the bounds of the Whole30.

Now, lets talk about carrageenan. It's everywhere. It's made from seaweed. There's lots of information on the interwebz, both for and against eating it. Like soy. And milk. And legumes. It's one of those foods YOU have to make a decision on. Which sounds an awful lot like....reintroduction! Which is a long winded say to say, I think you're on the right path. Keep calm and carry on. You've got this.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
Thanks for the sanity check everyone.  Especially Sailor for looking up the ingredients!  I don't feel any different today after eating the chicken, so I'm going to just call it good, and more forward with the full reintro at some point.

Swick It's very interesting what you've found with your complexion. I've been noticing the SAME thing.  My face was really clear, and now I'm getting a little pimple or such every once in a while.  The only thing I've added back is trace sugar (and the little carrageenan yesterday).  Could trace sugar really have that big of an impact on my face?  I have a hard time believing that, but as we are each different, it could be.

Liz You are awesome sticking to plan while camping! I think that would be even hardly than traveling with a hotel/fridge available. I had a couple days like you described with my first Whole30 where I didn't have the fat/carb/protein consistently at each meal, but heck, you STAYED on plan and that's way more important. You still kept the junk out of your system.  Plus, you're on the home stretch!  Less than a week to go....WOOOHOOO!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »
Y'all are so sweet!:) The trip was good! I didn't end up kayaking because of a lingering cough, even though I REALLY wanted to {it was the Ocoee, for anyone that knows TN area or rivers}, so both days I just sat by a big rapid at the end and watched for my friends and boyfriend. It's a short run, about 3 hours, so I wasn't waiting around too long. 

I'm usually pretty stubborn about going to the doctor, but I finally went today, and I have bronchitis. Ugh. I usually get it once a year when the seasons change, and it's one of the reasons I want to overhaul my way of eating. I truly believe that eliminating certain foods can help with inflammation. Luckily, I don't think I was prescribed any steroids, but I do have an antibiotic which I know will mess with gut flora, etc. I will be drinking a lot of kombucha and looking into probiotics. I'm also seriously contemplating stretching out my W30 for another two weeks after my official 'end' date.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
Well I pulled a Mustachian Fail today and bought myself both books :-} --->sheepish grin! Can't wait to dive into then tonight since my husband is away on business! I figured the two books are cheaper than a month of Weight Watchers, so there's that.

It's funny how the farther you get from Whole30 Day 1, the less likely you are to cheat. I don't want to have to start again!

Off to have leftover turkey and sweet potato mash for dinner.

Thanks for the encouraging words:-)

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
I had a very mustachian moment yesterday. I went to Nordstrom to try on bras so that I could order one on ebay, but they did not have the size I wanted to try. The saleswoman suggested that I could get it altered. It had never occurred to me that you could alter a bra, but of course you can. Cue to me sitting on my bed cutting up an old bra.

End result: I successfully shrunk the band, but then I made the cups a little too small. It might fit at the end of my next whole30. Also the scar along the underwire is a bit too scratchy. I have another that I am altering tonight, but only the band needs to be re-sized so it should work well.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:11 AM »
You guys are so awesome. I'm trying to get myself back into the right headspace to start again. Seems there us something every day that comes up and I let it derail me but I felt so awesome for the 10 days or so that I followed it that I need to do myself the service of sticking it out. I made a list of reasons for doing whole30 and have stuck it on the fridge to remind me. I'm also not a great meal planner but I can see you need it to succeed. We are traveling to family parties over the weekend but I'm planning ahead to bring compliant food with me. Everyone knows I suffer allergies so that's what I'll tell anyone who asks about my special foods. I don't have scales at home but feel more bloated since I have been eating carbs again.  Thanks for the explanation for this, Sailor Sam. I hear you , Swick about the nasty acne -interesting that that followed sugar. I got that after eating icecream so couldn't tell if it was dairy or sugar but got the sneezes back after that too. So glad to have this thread...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
Ketchup and GF....I think it's celebration day today!  Are you doing to do the reintro, keep going?
Way to go! ketchup and GF!!!!

Thanks!  After Day 30 we drove to Tennessee bringing all our own food and a five-day cooler (best cooler ever).  I came back yesterday, and she'll be back this coming weekend.  She should have enough food to last her.  We've added back in trace amounts of sugar (bacon, etc) and peanuts (some Larabars we brought had peanuts in them) but nothing else yet.  Next we'll probably add back in high-fat dairy, mostly for cheese (which I can't stand because I'm a space alien apparently but Amber loves it) and yogurt.  I will probably only ever eat peanuts occasionally (like the Larabars for travel), as in the past I ate an absolutely insane amount of peanut butter.

Results:  I feel awesome, she feels awesome, her acne cleared up the most it ever has (this thrilled her), and as of Day 30 she was down exactly 8 pounds from Day 1.  :D

Sunday night I "ate out" for the first time since before Day 1 at the "welcome dinner" buffet at the dog show that someone gave me a ticket to.  I hadn't yet eaten that day, so I called it an intermittent fast and that night ate at least four meals worth with no breakfast following in the morning.  Meat (mostly pork, plus some very subpar chicken) from 13 sliders (bun removed) with four heaping plates worth of buttered red potatoes, and a squirt of some mysterious BBQ sauce.  All-you-can-eat meat and potatoes after a long hard day (GF's Fitbit tracked 25,000+ steps each day we were there) with no food, still 90% Whole30ish (I'm sure there was sugar in the BBQ sauce)?  Yes, please.

We've decided that we're probably going to try to do a bit of a 30 days on/30 days off cycles with Whole30 to keep us in check, while of course not going off the deep end or anything on the off days (still no grains, sugar, soy, or other shit).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
Swick about the nasty acne -interesting that that followed sugar. I got that after eating icecream so couldn't tell if it was dairy or sugar but got the sneezes back after that too. So glad to have this thread...

Just to clarify, I think my problem is the diary - I haven't added and sugar back yet. I think Mom22boys had a similar reaction and she has only reintroduced trace sugar, Is that right Mom22boys?

You guys are so awesome. I'm trying to get myself back into the right headspace to start again. Seems there us something every day that comes up and I let it derail me but I felt so awesome for the 10 days or so that I followed it that I need to do myself the service of sticking it out. I made a list of reasons for doing whole30 and have stuck it on the fridge to remind me. I'm also not a great meal planner but I can see you need it to succeed.

The thing is, there is NEVER a good time to start, there will always be events, social pressure, family pressure, cravings, unexpected circumstances. If it is important to you, you just have to make the commitment to yourself. There is lots of psychology around breaking promises to yourself and the detrimental effects of doing so. )Sorry I can't remember where I was reading it, been a few years)  But basically after a while of breaking promises to yourself your brain knows better then to believe you. This is part of the problem with yo-yo dieting and.

It is also an exercise in taming your instant gratification monkey:
Swick about the nasty acne -interesting that that followed sugar. I got that after eating icecream so couldn't tell if it was dairy or sugar but got the sneezes back after that too. So glad to have this thread...
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I think my problem is the diary - I haven't added and sugar back yet. I think Mom22boys had a similar reaction and she has only reintroduced trace sugar, Is that right Mom22boys?

You guys are so awesome. I'm trying to get myself back into the right headspace to start again. Seems there us something every day that comes up and I let it derail me but I felt so awesome for the 10 days or so that I followed it that I need to do myself the service of sticking it out. I made a list of reasons for doing whole30 and have stuck it on the fridge to remind me. I'm also not a great meal planner but I can see you need it to succeed.

The thing is, there is NEVER a good time to start, there will always be events, social pressure, family pressure, cravings, unexpected circumstances. If it is important to you, you just have to make the commitment to yourself. There is lots of psychology around breaking promises to yourself and the detrimental effects of doing so. (Sorry I can't remember which text I was reading it, been a few years)  But basically after a while of breaking promises to yourself your brain knows better than to believe you and take you seriously. This is part of the problem with yo-yo dieting and.

It is also an exercise in taming your instant gratification monkeyhttp://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html][quote author=KiwiSonya link=topic=42667.msg836790#msg836790 date=1444813391]Swick about the nasty acne -interesting that that followed sugar. I got that after eating icecream so couldn't tell if it was dairy or sugar but got the sneezes back after that too. So glad to have this thread...[/quote]Just to clarify, I think my problem is the diary - I haven't added and sugar back yet. I think Mom22boys had a similar reaction and she has only reintroduced trace sugar,[b] Is that right Mom22boys?[/b][quote author=KiwiSonya link=topic=42667.msg836790#msg836790 date=1444813391]You guys are so awesome. I'm trying to get myself back into the right headspace to start again. Seems there us something every day that comes up and I let it derail me but I felt so awesome for the 10 days or so that I followed it that I need to do myself the service of sticking it out. I made a list of reasons for doing whole30 and have stuck it on the fridge to remind me. I'm also not a great meal planner but I can see you need it to succeed. [/quote]The thing is, there is NEVER a good time to start, there will [i]always [/i]be events, social pressure, family pressure, cravings, unexpected circumstances. If it is important to you, you just have to make the commitment to yourself. There is lots of psychology around breaking promises to yourself and the detrimental effects of doing so. (Sorry I can't remember which text I was reading it, been a few years)  But basically after a while of breaking promises to yourself your brain knows better than to believe you and take you seriously. This is part of the problem with yo-yo dieting and. It is also an exercise in taming your instant gratification monkey[url]http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-procrastinators-procrastinate.html

Nice job on your results, Ketchup! Sounds like there are lots of positive changes going on!

Tracking update: Started playing around with spread sheets, hubby wants to track EVERYTHING so instead we decided to save a lot of headache and see what other options are there. We found a neat little site that tracks food intake (and does all the neat nutrient calcs), sleep, weight, exercise, mood, symptoms, water - basically everything you want to track. There is a 30-day full version trial and a basic version, so we thought we would give it a try.

Hubs is still having issues with feeling hungry almost all the time, and wanted to try reintroducing Quinoa. Made him a breakfast scramble of quinoa, sauteed romenesco leaves and eggs. We'll see how he feels. I don't really feel a need to re-intro it at this point myself. I seriously doubt it would be an issue, but I'm happy the way things are.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Yes, my acne has reared its head with just trace sugar.  I've had at least one new pimple/zit/whatever EVERY day for the past week.  Luckily they are going away really fast too, so I'm not too worried.

1967mama I personally don't see buying both books as a MMM fail. Just as with everything, there is balance in life. I saw buying them as an investment in my health.  For course, there are limits to everything, but so far it's been the best health investment I've made.  Now if you want to talk about MMM failure.....I used to buy Shakeology from Beach Body every month at over $130 a pop.  YIKES!  As soon as I found MMM, I immediately cancelled it. Plus, I felt it was just perpetuating my issues with sweets.  Did I really think my desire for chocolate would go away when I was drinking a chocolate protein shake every day?  Heck NO!

Botanist Impressive with the bra hack!  I wish I could sew, but that's just not my thing.  I still have to have my mom sew on buttons for me, yes I'm that pathetic when it comes to sewing.  :-) 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
mom22boys,

Thanks for making me feel better about buying both books. I didn't even wait to order them cheaper online. I just felt like I've already made an over a week commitment to this program and I reallllly, really, realllllly like the results (in both my mind and my body). So yes, it is definitely an investment in myself, which as a mama of a large family, hasn't happened in a really long time <sigh>. And, I'm a better mama now, too :-) even after just a week. This program rocks!

I agree with swick that there's never a good time to start. If its not one thing, its another. Miraculously (truly!) I made it through Thanksgiving dinner Whole30 compliant, 100%, no cheats. Granted, I was doing all the cooking myself, but I did it!

I am surprised and pleased with my new habit of bringing along compliant snacks when I'm going out. No more drive thru's for this cat! I am out now, at a 3 hour assessment thingy for my son and I brought a bag of almonds and coconut chips (monkey salad minus the banana), and a nice, fresh Golden Delicious apple. I also have tea (no cream no sugar/stevi, of course! also a very new thing for this tea addict who is now realizing maybe it was the dairy or sweet taste I was addicted to and not the tea?!!)

Have a great day, MMM/Whole30 buddies!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
ketchup and for anyone else that likes Larabars ~ Definitely give RXbars a try! They have a little more protein {12 grams a bar, I think?}. They taste really good but don't awake the sugar dragon as much, for me at least! I've only ordered them on Amazon and from their website though -- hopefully one day they will be stocked in health food type stores, like the Larabars are.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I have been reading lots of books about changing habits (Charles Duhigg, Gretchen Rubin etc) and have learned a lot. I agree that life always throws something at us. Getting through Thanksgiving is real inspiration.  Perhaps it's easy to hide behind these events as an excuse not to start. But I really, really, really want to finish this and don't want to disappoint myself.  I actually do feel proud of myself when I don't eat foods I'm not supposed to and that will help keep me going. It has made me aware of the total oversupply of treat food around.  Treats used to be 'occasional' but I'm having to bat away offers several times a day. I'm two-thirds of the way through Day 1 and have eaten well so far. Only 29.3 to go!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
Thanks guys. I have been reading lots of books about changing habits (Charles Duhigg, Gretchen Rubin etc) and have learned a lot. I agree that life always throws something at us. Getting through Thanksgiving is real inspiration.  Perhaps it's easy to hide behind these events as an excuse not to start. But I really, really, really want to finish this and don't want to disappoint myself.  I actually do feel proud of myself when I don't eat foods I'm not supposed to and that will help keep me going. It has made me aware of the total oversupply of treat food around.  Treats used to be 'occasional' but I'm having to bat away offers several times a day. I'm two-thirds of the way through Day 1 and have eaten well so far. Only 29.3 to go!

KS and all who HACK YOUR DIET.....

Halloween begins what I have labeled "The Season Of Insanity".

The Season Of Insanity is the five winter months of the year where "the world" (ie: vendors of foodstuffs, diet and exercise) tries to dramatically increase your consumption of high-carb, high-sugar and high glycemic index foods. Halloween, it's simply candy of all sorts. Thanksgiving and Christmas, the overconsumption of the "traditional holiday foods". By New Year's Day, you've packed on 5-10 lbs you didn't have before Halloween, and the popular press expects you to "Make a New Year's Resolution". Diet and Exercise vendors start hawking their wares and plans the day after Christmas, and you are "encouraged" to go to the gym because, well, you made that resolution to lose those extra lbs, right?

Well, you go to the gym, and you feel like shit and try to work it off, but not much happens, you're being encouraged to over-indulge for New Year's Eve, for the Stupor Bowl, and you give up just in time to buy yourself a valentine-shaped box containing 5 lbs of fine chocolates for Valentine's Day. Screw those new year's resolutions, you'll never make it anyway, right?

Maybe you try one more time, but then, they hit you one more time with Easter and Easter candy and Easter Sunday dinners that look exactly like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And then it's done. You are left with an extra 10lbs of fat, gluten bloating, deep belly fat and decreased insulin sensitivity. You're screwed, but you are expected to fix that problem over the summer, right? I mean, aren't you getting to the gym, or getting outside, or doing whatever young, hap'nin people do to shed the weight? I mean, you are gonna get rid of the weight so you can put it back on next year when we push our goodies in front of your face next year, right?

My point is: the onset of winter brings a coordinated attack by food vendors, state fairs, relatives, co-workers and even people you don't know. They ram crap food in front of you and expect you to "go for it" because, well, let's face it: we're all human right? We all put on a little weight as we age, right? That's only "natural", right?

Well, the pharisees in the temple can go fuck themselves. I declare war on the Season of Insanity. I HACK THE DIET and take responsibility. I use the principles of known good science and deep-seated indignance to wage war on the bastards and win.

Two years ago this coming March, I launched my attack and lost 80 lbs using the Keto Lifestyle (a "cousin" to Whole30). Whether you use Whole30, Paleo, Keto, Atkins, whatever, do what works for you, log everything you eat (LoseIt or MyFitnessPal) and find your own success.

Don't dwell on failure. If you slam down a pack of oreo double stuff, remember, OREO is a four-letter word. Get past it, crush it, burn the sugars and glutens out of your body with fierce exercise and don't stop for DAYS until the crap (literally) is gone.

You can do this, YOU CAN WIN. Hack the diet and damn the Season of Insanity!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:04:28 PM by mefla »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
now that is a manifesto! I love you, mefla!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
now that is a manifesto! I love you, mefla!

@swick: I'm so glad you said that. I've been fighting against having a little forum-crush on you anyway. Now I can think it just a tiny bit and not feel so pervy. Beware: you'll be sharing me with justajane, MonkeyJenga, Dollar Slice, pbkmaine, shelivesthedream, okits, thedayisbrave, Rural, NoraLenderbee, lemondirgopie, KMMK, Cressida and Allie.  Oh, and Farnoosh Torabi and Ms. MM.  Good thing I'm too tired to be a stalker. I'd never get anything done! :-) :-)

@Eirene: Give it time, I'll put you on the list too. :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
Good thing I'm too tired to be a stalker. I'd never get anything done! :-) :-)

hmm, perhaps something in your keto diet needs tweaking? ;)

You comment made my day, apparently we have many of the same forum crushes!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »
Good thing I'm too tired to be a stalker. I'd never get anything done! :-) :-)

hmm, perhaps something in your keto diet needs tweaking? ;)

You comment made my day, apparently we have many of the same forum crushes!

MCT oil. I went without it for a few days and had some this morning in the protein shake. It always makes my brain work better. (honest, that's not a joke. Long story there, maybe I'll start a Keto Thread....)

Just remember: Keto...Because Bacon!

And yes, the forum crushes thing is GREAT. I mean, you'd have to think someone was pretty smart to even go there, right?

BTW: I blow big 'ol sloppy kisses to everyone here who's doing Whole30. I have a co-worker who's had lunch with me two days running, he finished his Whole30 30 days yesterday and he rattled off a whole bunch of benefits. He's definitely a believer in hacking his diet!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:37:20 PM by mefla »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
Thanks for the manifesto, mefla! Excellent summary of the season of insanity. And with our Canadian Thanksgiving being earlier, our season is even longer.

When you said this:
"Easter Sunday dinners that look exactly like Thanksgiving and Christmas."
it made me think that I should post my Thanksgiving dinner list just in case it would be a help to someone.

(Things I could eat have a *)

*turkey
*brussel sprouts
*broccoli/cauliflower (pulled a little out for myself before I sprinkled the dish with parmesan cheese)
*mashed potatoes (again, pulled a little out before I added butter and sour cream, then put some clarified butter on mine to melt)
*sweet potato mash (from Whole30)
*beets
-gravy
-cranberry sauce
-stuffing
-pumpkin cheesecake (made it myself without tasting .. woohoo!) (bought myself a tiny watermelon and a pineapple for dessert but I was too full and wasn't feeling horribly tempted by the cheesecake)

KiwiSonya, I am totally not a strong person and this is so totally unlike me. I have about 70 pounds to lose to be just back into the range of a healthy BMI (I'm so embarrassed to type that out). So as you can imagine, I have a real weakness/addiction to sweets and snacks and junk food and baking and fast food and bread and cookies and cake and icing and, and, and. And its GONE. As in, every day, I'm stepping outside myself going, "Who is this person who chose to eat tuna on a bed of lettuce and chopped veggies for dinner? Who is this person who is now eating eggs every day for breakfast topped with steamed spinach and tomatoes or avocado and zucchini??? Who is this person who carries a bag of nuts and an apple in her purse???  We are rooting for you! If I can do it, you can do it! I can't wait to hear about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you got through it!

Have a great, healthy day!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the manifesto, mefla! Excellent summary of the season of insanity. And with our Canadian Thanksgiving being earlier, our season is even longer.

A-men sister. You Canuks have effing awesome craft ales too, but that's a story for another time.

I have about 70 pounds to lose to be just back into the range of a healthy BMI (I'm so embarrassed to type that out).

NO, no no! It's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! You actually have a kind of advantage over someone who's starting with only a little weight to lose. Why would I say that? When we get that big (and WE includes ME), we have a lot of bodily inflammation: fluid in the lymph nodes, deep belly fat, liver and gallbladder inflammation, joint inflammation, etc. You name it, on your body, it's inflamed, and NOT in a good way!

When you get clean and hack your diet, inflammation is one of the things that's first to go. But you won't get rid of all the inflammation in only one Whole30 session. it can take months to get rid of all the inflammation, and in fact, if you screw up and eat something your body HATES, you can get a little of it back and suffer for it. (I'm in that mode right now - I had a little craft ale for awhile - my older son and I love to homebrew, and I had some of it. It didn't hurt me in any really bad way, but the glutens brought back the inflammation. So now I'm in moratorium and working hard to burn the glutens out of my body.

Likewise, YOU will see similar improvements just by continuing with Whole30. You're going to want to add some kind of exercise - something, anything. Just walking, whatever. That will help keep your muscle mass up so you can continue to burn off the inflammation.

I'm stepping outside myself going, "Who is this person who chose to eat tuna on a bed of lettuce and chopped veggies for dinner? Who is this person who is now eating eggs every day for breakfast topped with steamed spinach and tomatoes or avocado and zucchini??? Who is this person who carries a bag of nuts and an apple in her purse???  We are rooting for you! If I can do it, you can do it! I can't wait to hear about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you got through it!

You have an awesome attitude! Keep Kicking Ass through the season of insanity!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
So as you can imagine, I have a real weakness/addiction to sweets and snacks and junk food and baking and fast food and bread and cookies and cake and icing and, and, and. And its GONE. As in, every day, I'm stepping outside myself going, "Who is this person who chose to eat tuna on a bed of lettuce and chopped veggies for dinner? Who is this person who is now eating eggs every day for breakfast topped with steamed spinach and tomatoes or avocado and zucchini??? Who is this person who carries a bag of nuts and an apple in her purse???  We are rooting for you! If I can do it, you can do it! I can't wait to hear about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you got through it!

LOVE this! You are awesome! I was thinking about this the other day -- how a couple of months ago, a snack / treat for me would have been half a bag or more of chips... and now a bowl of steamed spinach with nutritional yeast seems delicious. I REALLY needed this reset!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
ketchup and for anyone else that likes Larabars ~ Definitely give RXbars a try! They have a little more protein {12 grams a bar, I think?}. They taste really good but don't awake the sugar dragon as much, for me at least! I've only ordered them on Amazon and from their website though -- hopefully one day they will be stocked in health food type stores, like the Larabars are.
Unfortunately, those look like they're about double the price of Larabars, and the flavors I looked at all contain almonds, which I can't eat without consequences (my GF can and does fine with them).  Thanks for the tip though!

However, I have found in the past that homemade "Larabars" are fantastic, better and cheaper than store-bought, but not as shelf-stable.  I didn't take the time to make any for our trip, but they were super awesome before. I'll definitely make them again (and Larabar is the one damn Nestle brand I've found myself ever buying and fuck Nestle).

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
Despite being part of the Stocktober challenge, I broke down and bought some ketostix, to test if I'm in ketosis. Very firmly in ketosis! Rainbow pooping unicorn victory for Sir Samuel.

I've been reading everyone's posts about sugar with avid interest. I've never been attracted to sugary things, and I actively dislike the taste of chocolate. Many people find this mysterious. BUT, given the chance to roll around in a swimming pool of flavoured potato chips, I'd go for it. Tater tots, yes please. Only french fries are available? Well, if must. I once endured a very unpleasant but incredibly frantic and bug eyed pelt to sadly distant bathroom the day after ingesting way to many kale chips. Salty and crunchy does it for me.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »

Halloween begins what I have labeled "The Season Of Insanity".

The Season Of Insanity is the five winter months of the year where "the world" (ie: vendors of foodstuffs, diet and exercise) tries to dramatically increase your consumption of high-carb, high-sugar and high glycemic index foods.
You can do this, YOU CAN WIN. Hack the diet and damn the Season of Insanity!

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!  To me, Whole30/paleo/primal/keto all go hand in hand with MMM.  Today's society is all about excess: cars, houses, clothes, jewelry....and YES food!  I looked back at only one of my credit cards last year (pre-MMM) and I spent over 7K at restaurants. Not even grocery stores, but JUST restaurants.  I was blown away, and literally wanted to cry.  How wasteful am I being? How unhealthy am I by eating all this crap? I remember back to when I was young and I was lucky if my mom let us have anything sweet more than once every two weeks.  That's why I'm continuing on the Whole30 (except trace sugar). I want to get back to being in control so I can say NO to all that crap for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and on and on.

Mefla - The only cool thing I love about whole30 is that I DON'T have to track my food.  I can eat anything I want within the set boundaries. Not saying it's right/wrong to track your food, but it's what works for me.  My body is naturally telling me when I've had enough.

And yes.....Mefla, I love you too!  Actually, I love everyone on this board!  What a great group, willing to openly share their struggles and most importantly, the support we all receive from each other.

EDIT:  Typos
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:12:59 AM by mom22boys »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »

@swick: I'm so glad you said that. I've been fighting against having a little forum-crush on you anyway. Now I can think it just a tiny bit and not feel so pervy. Beware: you'll be sharing me with justajane, MonkeyJenga, Dollar Slice, pbkmaine, shelivesthedream, okits, thedayisbrave, Rural, NoraLenderbee, lemondirgopie, KMMK, Cressida and Allie.  Oh, and Farnoosh Torabi and Ms. MM.  Good thing I'm too tired to be a stalker. I'd never get anything done! :-) :-)

mefla....WHAT THE FUCK ABOUT ME? No love for a fellow ketonian??? Harsh, bro. Extra harsh.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »

Mefla - The only cool thing I love about whole30 is that I DON'T have to track my food.  I can eat anything I want within the set boundaries. Not saying it's right/wrong to track your food, but it's what works for me.  My body is naturally telling me when I've had enough.

I hear you mom22boy! Tracking is the only thing that is keeping me from keto and I still might want to do it. I'm not going to lie, I have about 10 pounds I would like to lose to get to my "feel the best" weight. I'm 5'2 so sometimes I feel like every pound is a struggle! Thinking about doing keto for a few months and then slowly transitioning back into primal/paleo/Whole30 {more carbs}. But one thing I am loving about the W30 is that it emphasizes eating whole, clean food, and I don't want to lose that if trying keto -- especially since my main W30 goal is to help calm my allergies and asthma. Maybe I can incorporate a W30/keto hybrid? Half of me wants to keep going on W30 but incorporate more exercise {I literally did no exercise this month} and see how that goes.  I don't think I lost a lot of weight this go-around but my clothes are fitting better for sure.  Sorry for the rambling.... trying to sort out my ideas as I get closer to the end of this W30!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
I am really learning a lot from the Whole30 book ... so glad I took the plunge and bought it. Just polished off 2 eggs with steamed spinach and a handful of organic grapes. Yum!

Another thing I am noticing is that my brain fog seems to have lifted permanently! I'm so excited about this because, being a mama since 1991, and with many children, I have basically been in a brain fog since 1991 ... ugh! I"m not getting tired in the afternoons, and I'm not feeling sluggish at dinnertime. I am getting up earlier in the morning and having more restful sleeps (unless there's some drama going on with a teenager, etc). This is also a pleasant change. I'm still popping a melatonin most nights to fall asleep but I tend to be very busy with functional stuff in the daytime (again, large family) and then the emotional stuff starts flowing through my head as the house quiets at bedtime (around 11pm) so then I get some think time to process the day.

Tea. I can't believe I've gone from a chain tea drinker, to 2-3 mugs a day. This is remarkable to me as I am known to all my friends and family as a tea person. Most of the gifts I receive are: tea, tea mugs, tea paraphernalia,etc.  People send me tea jokes, tea inspirational cartoons.... You get my drift. Anyways, 1 mug around 11 am and another mid to late afternoon. Some nights, a cup of herbal in the evening with my husband. And that's it! So I was definitely addicted to the milk and the sweetener (sometimes honey or sugar, usually stevia). This surprises me because I thought stevia would be ok on Whole30, but its that sweet taste that I was craving. Last night, I bought myself a box of Medjool dates ... I had ONE! sooooo sweet and lovely! I had no trouble stopping at one, which is also very surprising to me.

I am going to try and squeeze in a little more reading of Whole30 today, but its a busy day here around the 1967mama household! Have a great day everyone!

Edit: typo
ETA: mom22boys & Liz Tracking was an epic fail for me on Weight Watchers:-(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:59:59 AM by 1967mama »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »

mefla....WHAT THE FUCK ABOUT ME? No love for a fellow ketonian??? Harsh, bro. Extra harsh.

I'm getting there, I'm getting there! I'm just a tad slow, been spending too much time in MonkeyJenga's journal thread.....I've been reading up on your posts and I'm with you bro, 1000%

In fact, let me send you this little morsel of luv: http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

We made this for dinner tonight and my keto-wife couldn't stop raving about it. She loves that I like making it - it's easy as hell if I can make it, I promise you. The ruled.me recipes are fantastic. I love how they do the recipe with photos and in such amazing detail. Wort paying for!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:45:37 PM by mefla »