Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427044 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1800 on: January 06, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »

And you have every right to be whiny re: the sausages!  If this happens every time even after you're told it shouldn't be happening, it's irritating.  At least you've figured it out now and can avoid it going forward.

Yeah - I think the big problem is it DOESN'T happen every time, I keep getting lulled into a false sense of security, thinking they fixed their issues. I'm (slowly) coming to the realization that it is not worth the risk.

Way to go on surviving dinner! Is there something you can substitute for the wine? Herbal tea, fizzy water?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1801 on: January 06, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
my friend gave me a jar of duck fat for my birthday a few weeks ago! she knows me so well! :)
I usually render my own chicken fat from the skins and fat I trim off, but I dont normally eat duck. Ill have to think about that. I like the duck fat, though.

My other new favorite thing is using homemade mayo as a dip for veggies. Not something I ever did pre W30. I like to season the mayo with one of the bazillion spice blends I have stashed in my cupboard (although have to avoid the ones with sugar) Last night I had steamed potatoes that I dipped in mayo blended with Butcher Spice Rub from Savory Spices http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH6fCaLHGlbqnoHVrWgWRc8DmlRGML8POVC435zi4CEoaAtHT8P8HAQ

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/barneg.html

Im also on a big cabbage kick. roasted, sauteed, in soups...I feel like its a really good sub for pasta/rice in terms of bulking up a meal.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1802 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
Duck fat is amazing! Gosh I wish I had some now. :)
Today's recipe for me is nom nom's Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup because it's snowing and curry soup is perfect.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2345953636/curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup
Those wings look amazing, swick. I'll definitely have to give those a try.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1803 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
I'm not doing a whole30, but eat primal+rice as a baseline. Been reading and rooting everyone on. But now I'm jumping in to offer wine substitutions! I had a heck of time quitting drinking at one point, and was terrified I was a 1-2 glass a day alcoholic. Turned out, I just liked the ritual a lot. What has worked really well for us is scratching that "bartending" itch in addition to the tasty non-water option, and NOT having it be hot like tea. Also a sense of "scarcity"- since I limited my drinks to 3 max for alcohol, and kept it to evenings, I do the same with these drinks. It keeps them feeling special.
-Sparkling mineral water with bitters (there's a whiskey barrel aged one that scratches the whiskey itch really well for me)
-Sparkling mineral water with lemon and lime juice
-Sparkling mineral water with grapefruit juice
-Sparkling mineral water with OJ and a splash of pom

We love the trader joe's sparkling mineral water =)

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1804 on: January 06, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
N - I'm with you on the cabbage. I'm planning soft boiled eggs over sauted cabbage for breakfast in the morning. I'm also super excited about homemade sauerkraut.  Who knew it was so easy! If you like sauerkraut, I highly recommend making your own. I'm having fun with fermentation since I can't make sourdough or yogurt these days. 

ZiziPB - I'm sorry you're finding it a bit difficult this go-round. I hope you can re-find your focus.  I, too, feel like it would be much easier to choose away from things if there were immediate negative consequences.  swick - Is it bad that I envy your very clear signal that something is not good for you? I'm kind of hoping to find the same in the reintroduction phase.

I had about an hour of super cranky this afternoon but I've mellowed out since then. Right now, I'm surrounded by sourdough pretzels but my resolve is strong. I'm not upset that I can't eat them and I'm not tempted, but it kind of pointed out to me that I have to be mindful so I don't accidently grab something just out of habit.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1805 on: January 06, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
Day4 In the bag, but man the new job I started has a lot of sweets at the office :(

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1806 on: January 06, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
I had some probably non-compliant chicken salad today, but my 85yo Mom made it.  She is slowly going downhill andit was nice to share a meal wwith her.  It was made with commercial mayonnaise and sweet relish that I know of, not sure of the status of the other ingredients.  Trace sugar and processes food are my main issues.  At the doctor appointment I found I'm down to 113#.  If I can't make myself cook more I may need to drop out for now until I can get my weight back up.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1807 on: January 08, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
I'm not doing a Whole30 but am adjusting towards a better diet (less SAD...more paleo/whole30-ish). We started yesterday and this is unbelievable. I'm not trying to restrict carbs per se but skipped rice with dinner and potatoes with breakfast (those things make me hungry an hour later).

DH is fine. I have a headache and am extremely dizzy and lethargic...like I cannot function. I can't feel like this because I have a ton to do. Any advice for getting through the adjustment while being able to still work, drive, etc?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1808 on: January 08, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
I'm not doing a Whole30 but am adjusting towards a better diet (less SAD...more paleo/whole30-ish). We started yesterday and this is unbelievable. I'm not trying to restrict carbs per se but skipped rice with dinner and potatoes with breakfast (those things make me hungry an hour later).

DH is fine. I have a headache and am extremely dizzy and lethargic...like I cannot function. I can't feel like this because I have a ton to do. Any advice for getting through the adjustment while being able to still work, drive, etc?

Drink LOTS of water and fluids. Take an OTC pain med if you need to. If you need to, eat a Banana or sweet potato. It gives you some carbs with some other good stuff that should keep you fuller.

I had some probably non-compliant chicken salad today, but my 85yo Mom made it.  She is slowly going downhill andit was nice to share a meal wwith her.  It was made with commercial mayonnaise and sweet relish that I know of, not sure of the status of the other ingredients.  Trace sugar and processes food are my main issues.  At the doctor appointment I found I'm down to 113#.  If I can't make myself cook more I may need to drop out for now until I can get my weight back up.

Shadowmoss - your situation is unique compared to the rest of us. I think just doing the best you can with your circumstances and limitations is great.  What support do you need in order to cook more? What systems can be put in place? Who can you reach out to? This is the crucial piece of things for you. We are here to brainstorm and bounce ideas around and support you.

Also, while not horribly mustachian there are several options available on the Whole 30 site for approved snack and meal kits and such. You could look at these for inspiration and get some of these better for you prepared foods while you are figuring out the cooking piece, or heck, if it is what you need, spend the money and just order the kits.  Your health is the biggest priority.

MEJG - How are you doing?

I'm not upset that I can't eat them and I'm not tempted, but it kind of pointed out to me that I have to be mindful so I don't accidently grab something just out of habit.

Yep this is what I found hard too, We are starting our next round officially tomorrow. was suppose to be today but Hubs, out of habit and because it was there, grabbed some rice crackers and hummus this morning. I've gone through and removed everything that we might just use out of habit (the other one for us is wheat free soy sauce) as well as those not totally complaint foods we eat the rest of the time occasionally like the odd rice noodle or cracker.

I totally get the whole kinda hoping you react to something in the reintro because it makes it easier to stay away from. I sometimes wonder if my husband (who found he had no immediate affects) or I got the better deal :)

Thanks for popping in, Braken_Joy! Love your different seltzer ideas, We have found that having fun with sparkling water makes things a little more fancy and exciting. We have a soda stream, which we find totally worth it to be able to make our own sparkling water whenever we like :)

Check in time! How is everyone doing?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1809 on: January 08, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
I'm off the diet for.now.  can't afford to lose any more weight.  I have the books on order at the library, and I'll get more set up and start again at some point.  I went to a coffee and donuts thing where I used to live and it just felt wrong not.to get in line with my buddies since I had stood them up on my birthday c&d as the radiation had kicked my ass.  This was my first time back since, and one of the residents had died in the meantime.  Just seemed like the old formalities were more important than the diet.  My buddies are in their 70's and up, not sure how long this will be an option.  How is that fora rationalization.  Came home and slept all day.  Today I decides id do it up rifjt and went to IHOP and had 2 stacks of pancakes and syrup.  Felt pretty bad in the carb fog, came home and slept.  I see a pattern here.  Tomorrow I'm going out for hamburgers with friends and I'll skip the pure sugar and see how it goes.  I'm going to cut down on sugar and bread as I get ready to start again.  I need to gain about 10 # and learn to cook at home more.  The winter Snowbird lifestyle has meals out as a regular thing and I want to enjoy my friends while they are here.  Just need to find a frugal and healthy way to do it.

Edited to add:  I'm usually on my phone when I reply as I don't have internet at my RV.  That explains the majority of weirdness.  Also, the primary issue was I was having digestive issues, probably from so much fruit, and I'm afraid that will cause even more weight loss.  I need to get more organized.  The rest of the stuff can be worked around once I read the book I'm sure.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:49:22 PM by shadowmoss »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1810 on: January 09, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
Also, while not horribly mustachian there are several options available on the Whole 30 site for approved snack and meal kits and such. You could look at these for inspiration and get some of these better for you prepared foods while you are figuring out the cooking piece, or heck, if it is what you need, spend the money and just order the kits.  Your health is the biggest priority.
My GF has used Paleo On The Go twice for this sort of thing (in addition to bringing stuff with her), and had it shipped to the hotel where she's staying on trips longer than a day or two.  It is very expensive (like $15-20/meal holy shit expensive, plus shipping) but you're paying for convenience and non-shittiness (and for her, not having to deal with somehow flying with a cooler full of food).

Our AIP reintroduction is still going pretty well.  GF found out she is sensitive to milk (butter/cream is fine).  She woke up in the middle of the night Saturday night with some lovely knives-in-stomach sensation after having milk the previous night.  Cheese is next up, so we'll see how that goes.  She loooves cheese so that'll be pretty crappy if that goes badly too.

Milk was fine for me, and cheese probably will be too (though I personally hate cheese because I apparently hate happiness, sunshine, puppies, and Mario Kart).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: January 09, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
I'm on day 11 and doing really well. I live by myself and cook for 1, so I usually fall into the habit of cooking the same things all the time out of convenience and efficiency. I'm loving the need to try different things and and LOVING the delicious results. So far no major cravings or difficulties avoiding 'bad' foods. Also, so far, no major impacts like headaches or bad moods. Just the usual exhaustion. I'm hoping I'll have more energy, as promised, by the end.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1812 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
I'm on day 11 and doing really well. I live by myself and cook for 1, so I usually fall into the habit of cooking the same things all the time out of convenience and efficiency. I'm loving the need to try different things and and LOVING the delicious results. So far no major cravings or difficulties avoiding 'bad' foods. Also, so far, no major impacts like headaches or bad moods. Just the usual exhaustion. I'm hoping I'll have more energy, as promised, by the end.

Glad to hear you are doing well, Cookie78! Have any recipes or successes you could share? I'm starting day 1 today so I'll need the inspiration!

Were you exhausted before, or is this something that is new since going on Whole 30?
Today is day 1 of round...ummm...I'm not actually sure :) We eat about 85% (Hubs) and probably 95% (me) Whole 30. But have had a bit of excess during Christmas. It was Hub's idea to do a full round of strict Whole 30, so here we go!

Chicken stock is going in the crockpot. We have the leftovers from the Kalua pork we had for our game day to eat and I made Nom-nom's tuna cakes. I was hoping Hubby would like them, but he really hates canned fish. They confused him. He said he likes the flavor but is unsure if it is enough to hide the canned fish flavour. In the end he had 4 bites.  He did say if we used frozen fish he would eat them, so I have to dig through the freezer and see what I have :)

For breakfast, Hubby had  a monkey bowl today. We have discussed soups for breakfast, and stir-fries the problem with both of those is they take a while to actually chew and he doesn't have a ton of time in the morning without having to get up even more ridiculously early. Especially these days as he often has to shovel snow before he can leave.  I think the solution is less chunky soups and chopping everything finer for stir-fries? We'll see!

I did make a big batch of my ragatooie and served that over roasted sweet potato and did up about 8 portions of that so Hubby can take it for his lunches. That way I can focus on making dinners that might not provide leftovers for his lunch or we can experiment with new things and if he doesn't like it he won't starve the next day.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1813 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
Day 9 for me. Over the weekend we had 5 guests including carb-loving kids stay the weekend so I knew there would be challenges. So I cooked up a big batch of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker for everyone. I just ate the sauce over brussel sprouts and it was amazing. Everyone else filled up on pasta too. There were SO many cookies around, but the worst temptation was self inflicted. I baked a batch of blueberry muffins for everyone to scarf down after they got off the ski slopes. It's so hard to bake something and not taste it afterwards!
My grocery bill will definitely be on the high side this month. I'm realizing how much homemade bread and granola usually fills me up normally.
I also got a massive workout in yesterday in the form of shoveling snow. We got 6 inches in 12 hours and our snow blower is busted right now.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1814 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Day 9 for me. Over the weekend we had 5 guests including carb-loving kids stay the weekend so I knew there would be challenges. So I cooked up a big batch of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker for everyone. I just ate the sauce over brussel sprouts and it was amazing. Everyone else filled up on pasta too. There were SO many cookies around, but the worst temptation was self inflicted. I baked a batch of blueberry muffins for everyone to scarf down after they got off the ski slopes. It's so hard to bake something and not taste it afterwards!
My grocery bill will definitely be on the high side this month. I'm realizing how much homemade bread and granola usually fills me up normally.
I also got a massive workout in yesterday in the form of shoveling snow. We got 6 inches in 12 hours and our snow blower is busted right now.

Awesome job Landlady! I hear you about the higher than usual grocery expense. I  actually gave up keeping track during my first whole 30 I couldn't stomach it. BUT if you continue to eat in this style longer term it evens out as you build your recipe bank, figure out what foods you do and don't like, which can be made at home and so on. Also save quite a bit on the eating out front!

Getting the initial pantry ingredients can be a hit. If you are only doing it for 30 days as a reset and then going back to normal food, the cost will be way higher then your usual eating. The frustrating part is real food costs more than fake food, and if you aren't eating the grains and legumes and other cheaper protein sources you have to get creative in your sourcing.

INSPIRATION: Okay so I'm going back over the whole thread to prepare a support program for a few folks in February and I came across page 10. It is an AWESOME, inspiring read for those new to Whole 30 and it is a FANTASTIC reminder for those of us who have been here a while how far we have come! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/450/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1815 on: January 09, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
Sliding back to paleo/primal for a while .. it wasn't the right timing for me to do a Whole30😕

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1816 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

Glad to hear you are doing well, Cookie78! Have any recipes or successes you could share? I'm starting day 1 today so I'll need the inspiration!

Were you exhausted before, or is this something that is new since going on Whole 30?

I've been exhausted more often than not for nearly 2 years. My brother committed suicide Feb 2015 and I spent a year dealing with grief, and the next year trying to get my energy levels back up. I don't know if the exhaustion is still due to grief or if I use that as an excuse. Maybe I've just been exhausted so long that I don't know how to be any other way. I went to the doctor a year ago and did some blood tests, that all came back normal. I was hoping something would be off and easy to fix, but nope. I went on anti-depressants and that helped a lot. I think I'm exhausted now because it's cold and dark for so many hours of the day. I am pretty sure that it'll get better in the spring, and even better in August when I'm not wasting my prime hours sitting in a cubicle! The good news is that it's getting better, I do have bursts of energy, especially in the mornings, and I'm not sad or upset anymore, just tired.

As for recipes, I REALLY loved the tzatziki sauce recipe on this page http://whole30.com/2016/10/best-of-dips-sauces/

Also stir friend swiss chard with carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and various herbs and spices has been my go to phenomenal, I can't get enough, recipe. I grew so much swiss chard this summer and I almost stopped freezing it thinking I'd never get through that much. But after discovering this deliciousness I'm not so sure!

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1817 on: January 09, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
R1D8 here.  Survived the snow days just fine, mostly by doing the shopping Friday before the storm and then not leaving the house.  We were supposed to have a dinner party last night that I had planned for and that got cancelled so I ended up making the turkey meatballs that I was going to make for the party for dinner last night.  Other than the missing the wine and having to shovel because my husband can't right now, it was an ok weekend.  I've got this nasty cough that I can't seem to shake though and I'm worried I might need to break to take some non-compliant cough drops.  I've tried tea and that doesn't really help.  Any ideas?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1818 on: January 09, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Also stir friend swiss chard with carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and various herbs and spices has been my go to phenomenal, I can't get enough, recipe. I grew so much swiss chard this summer and I almost stopped freezing it thinking I'd never get through that much. But after discovering this deliciousness I'm not so sure!
!

Recipes!?

Chard is one of my big "I should eat that more than once a year like I do now" foods.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1819 on: January 09, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
!

Recipes!?

Chard is one of my big "I should eat that more than once a year like I do now" foods.

I don't have a recipe, I just winged it based on what was in my fridge one day.

I used a little oil in the pan, threw in about 2-3 cups of thawed swiss chard, maybe 1.5 cups of thawed carrots, stir and let it sit for 5-10 min, stirring occasionally. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of water. After 5-10 min I threw in some mushrooms (1 cup) and chopped garlic. Let sit maybe 3-5 more min. Add spices etc (garlic salt, onion salt, basil, chives, oregano, pepper, in various combinations based on mood). Stir. Cook until you like what you see (not much longer, just a few min). Once I got distracted and let it cook a little longer than usual, All the moisture on the bottom had evaporated, but it was soooo good. I think it largely has to do with the fact that the carrots from my dad's garden are quite sweet and so amazing fried like that.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1820 on: January 09, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
I survived my weekend travel intact. Days 6,7, & 8 down, 22 more to go. That dinner I worried over turned out to be the easiest thing to navigate, grilled sirloin and steamed broccoli was an option on the menu, easy peasy. The tempting piles of sweets, treats, and snacks all over were much more challenging, but I made it. 

1967mama - good luck with the paleo/primal option. It's a wise choice when Whole30 isn't feasible.  Whole30 will still be there when you're ready for it. Best wishes for your good health.

swick - page 10 is THE page that convinced me to jump in. I'd been reading up on the thread for suggestions and I was just so impressed with how supportive and focused you all were. I felt like I'd be super lucky to get to participate in such a great group. I'm wishing you and your husband a smooth and easy 30 days.

Cookie78 - that Swiss chard non-recipe looks amazing!

BabyShark - Not a cough drop, but I saw a suggestion on www.rootandbranchnutrition.com for Hyland's 4Kids Cold & Mucus medicine.  From the recommendation:
It technically is the absolute closest to Whole30-compliant I could find. Citric acid is an acceptable additive and sodium benzoate is an acceptable preservative. Glycyrrhiza extract and vegetable glycerin are sweeteners, but from licorice and vegetables, so I was willing to bend a bit-- there was no artificial junk, gluten, grains, soy, or dairy
Maybe that could be an option? Others here on the thread are likely better able to tell you if it passes muster or not. I hope you're able to find suitable relief.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1821 on: January 09, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »
Made it to DC and did my first shopping trip, but I need to go to Whole Foods and probably Trader Joe's and get better stuff (there is a funky Safeway 2 blocks away; not complaining, it's convenient).  Had salmon, sweet potatoes and a big salad for dinner and packed a tuna salad with cabbage, an orange and nuts for lunch tomorrow.  Really glad I went to the trouble of packing my Instant Pot, immersion blender and lots of compliant spices and condiments!

Should be pretty well on track by Thursday.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #1822 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
Hello everyone! My friend had done W30 before and is doing it again this month. I decided to join her, my choice aided by popping into this thread once in awhile and seeing everyone happy with the results. Some of the big draws for me were the tantalisms of cleared acne and better energy. In the past I had tried to cut out sugar but never made it very long. I'm hoping the structure of W30 will allow me to wean sugar, among other things, out of my habits.

Today is day 2. Yesterday my friend and I got together and batch-cooked a week's worth of food; I followed her lead in menu planning since she is already familiar with what's compliant, etc. (I joined kind of last minute so there has been very little research on my part. I'm hoping that the challenge aspect will be enough for me to stick around.)

Anyway, while I'm no stranger to batch cooking, I usually portion and throw into the freezer to ease my temptation to eat all the food that is ready and available! The stuff we made is instead just sitting in my fridge, calling my name. I admit that it was too easy to over-eat tonight, and now I'm feeling uncomfortable.

I think another challenge I'll be facing is that I'm not used to eating this much meat. Another challenge I suspect will be in finding that right balance between fiber, fat, and protein.

So far I haven't been tempted by sweets, but the month is still young! (Tonight I accidentally licked some of the honey that I use to wash my face. Oops!)

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1823 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Ive finished the first week of my second round.
I bought a really big cabbage last week, so Im having cabbage alot! Ill finish it off tomorrow.

Today I sauteed some, topped it with mashed sweet potatoes and 2 fried eggs.
For lunch I had my fave chicken salad (chicken, grapes, celery, red onion, walnuts, mayo, lemon juice) on romaine lettuce and then some guacamole on the side. Oh, and an apple with cinnamon. So sweet and good!
For dinner, I roasted some chicken legs and thighs and had one of each with roasted carrots and potato.

Im planning to make chicken stock in the instant pot tomorrow, and render some chicken fat/skin in a skillet. I need to season some ground pork to turn it into sausage :) and cook up a butternut squash to make soup.

Last week I had a kale kick. I made some "zuppa toscana" (w30 style) with chicken stock, homemade sausage, kale, onion and potatoes. Even if you dont put it together as a soup, those things go great together.

Ive never consistently eaten this many greens before. I like it.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1824 on: January 10, 2017, 05:54:18 AM »
Hello folks!

Maybe this was a crazy month to do this.... but nothing like jumping in feet first!!  We have stayed compliant despite new jobs, 3 kids, and doctors appts over 2 hrs away by car- YAY!!

Last week I learned I NEED a snack, maybe 2, at my new job due to when food breaks are and the rigors of the job itself.  Favorite meals so far are slow cooker chocolate chili :)  and for DH and I chicken Thai red curry.  Three of us are loving breakfast casserole in the morning. 

Most meals are protein + roasted veggies + ghee or avocado and are not elaborate.  We have plans to try a complaint version if general Tso chicken this week over sweet potato noodles.

My blood sugar has been interesting....  By my meter I've been down between 56-70 MOST readings, with many of them in the 59-65 range.  This *should* be hypoglycemia....but I feel great!  So I think either my meter is broken, or this really is fixing my body and *my* normal is in the low end of the range.  Perhaps my issues in the past quarter were due to being too high carb, empty food, processed crap with my particular metabolism.  I am eating plenty of starchy compliant veggies, every meal, and yet I'm still floating around the low 60s.     

I am also wondering if maybe I am really insulin sensitive (which was not my personal hypothesis prior to this) and I have a higher carb tolerance and this I'm actually ketogenic with this plan...  But I am NOT shelling out for a ketone meter.   Maybe I will in the future but not at this juncture.

Kiddos are eating compliantly at home, but out and about we are not being strict with them.  I'm really interested to see is DD3.5 is sensitive to dairy....  I think she may be and we may have been over treating her asthma (she goes on her sick plan at the first sign of illness ie a runny nose).

Next steps.... keep on keeping on, and trying to work out a probiotic solution when we don't particularly like fermented foods.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1825 on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
I've got this nasty cough that I can't seem to shake though and I'm worried I might need to break to take some non-compliant cough drops.  I've tried tea and that doesn't really help.  Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm late to respond, Babyshark! I hope you are feeling better! It's hard to make suggestions without really knowing what is going on with you, is it a dry cough or a wet cough? Are you bringing up flem and junk? Do you have a sore throat?  When my mom went off dairy she coughed up a lot of junk as her body cleared it out. 

Some ideas: Cough sore throat - Slippery elm tea or lozenges (I'm not sure what else is in the lozenges, some are just compressed and formed slippery elm) and Licorice http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-licorice-root.html are what I usually use.

Also, there are quite a few essential oils that are good for inhalation for cough and cold. I'm not comfortable really making recommendations without more info though.

swick - page 10 is THE page that convinced me to jump in. I'd been reading up on the thread for suggestions and I was just so impressed with how supportive and focused you all were. I felt like I'd be super lucky to get to participate in such a great group. I'm wishing you and your husband a smooth and easy 30 days.

Aww yay! I've really enjoyed going back and reading them, often it is easy to forget how far you come.  Glad you have joined us!

Really glad I went to the trouble of packing my Instant Pot, immersion blender and lots of compliant spices and condiments!

Glad you made it safely! Wait....did you fly? With your Instant pot?? That takes some dedication! I can't help with all the threads and comments and such I am missing out on some wonderful, revolutionary piece of equipment...Is it really so amazing?

WELCOME missundecided! I would spend some time poking through the Whole 30 site most of the info is there and it will give you a better jist for the why and whatnot of everything :)

I totally get you on the eating more meat and finding the right balance. One thing to keep in mind is this is not Atkins. You will up your protein a bit, but for the most part you should be focusing on upping your veggies and healthy fats. There is a little bit of discomfort and transition period when you do this, but it is worth it!

N - Awesome update! Yay for greens! It sounds like you are really dialed in :) How are you feeling two weeks in?

Hello folks!

Maybe this was a crazy month to do this.... but nothing like jumping in feet first!!  We have stayed compliant despite new jobs, 3 kids, and doctors appts over 2 hrs away by car- YAY!!
WAY TO GO!!! Super impressive that you are able to keep it up with all that life going on!

Blood sugar and insulin resistance/sensitivity is such an interesting rabbit hole :) Our bodies and how food affects them and the balancing of hormones and processes in the body. We are all pretty much walking experiments, either by someone else's hand or our own, so you have to do what works for you.

RE: DD: It could very well be the dairy, but if she has asthma it might be worsened by the inflammation caused by wheat (or some of the preservatives and sulfites?) My mom didn't have an asthmatic reaction to eating bread in Italy, but she has one slice of bread here and within a short amount of time, I can hear the wheeze come back.  Ususally, if she has had either dairy or wheat I can tell, even on the phone.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1826 on: January 10, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
Trying a different approach to food:

I've come around to the fact that this way of eating is so much easier with prep - but I have been still thinking in terms of whole meals. Due to the Uber-frugal January challenge, and the Use up your pantry challenge in addition to this one, I hit on a system that might work well for us.

Basically, I'm throwing out the idea of having to plan, prep and cook complete meals out the window and instead focusing on stuffing the fridge with building blocks, that can be combined however people want at the time. I think this will work well because there are a couple of things I tend not to cook with because hubby doesn't like them (Mushrooms and fresh tomaotes) Also, not having to commit to cooking a whole balanced meal all at once allows for me to cook in shorter and clean up in shorter spurts throughout the day as my schedule allows.  Also allows me to be creative and use up the bits and pieces that wouldn't make a full meal.

So yesterday:

Am - took a work break, did a load of dishes strained the chicken stock I had in the crockpot and refried some tuna cake and an egg for breakfast.

PM - Made some chicken soup while I was chopping veggies, used up a load of veg that would have probably been forgotten about and some already cooked and shredded chicken from the fridge.

Threw a bag of Brussel sprouts into the oven to roast

Looked in the fridge and noticed I had some homemade mayo that needed using. Hmm, I had used some specialty olive oil that was gifted to us and too damn spicy. needs to be cut. Thawed out some spinach, threw it into the food processor with the mayo, a clove of garlic some of my mom's soup mix (pretty much just dehydrated veggies from her garden) and a can of water chestnuts and made a pretty close approximation of spinach dip (Hubby's fave) without the sour cream. Served with carrot sticks.

Now, that wasn't hard to do but it adds extra time and dishes which I wouldn't have done if I had to worry about making a full meal.

Hubs wasn't in a soup mood, but I had some shredded cabbage on hand and some leftover Kalua pork in the fridge. Took nothing to fry them up.

So dinner consisted of an appetizer of Spinach dip and carrot sticks, roasted Brussels and pork and cabbage. All in all probably as balanced as if I had planned a "complete meal" and realistically, had way more veggies then I would have prepared otherwise.

I woke up actually hungry this morning, not a problem I have a pot of soup ready to go!

There is potential in wasting food if I get too excited and make too many different things, but having a list of what needs to be used up on the fridge should help with that. We'll see if it sticks :)

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1827 on: January 10, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
Day 10. I may have cheated since Whole30 doesn't like smoothies, but I needed something to fill me up today and our fridge is running low on vegetables.
1/2 banana
handful of frozen blueberries
1/4 can of coconut milk
all blended together... Let's just call it a cold soup rather than a smoothie so I can get away with this. :/

Dinner for tonight will be Chicken Vindaloo with sweet potatoes and broccoli. Costco sells Indian sauces and their Vindaloo is Whole30 compliant and very delicious.

Also I roasted some roots to have on hand.. yellow potatoes, sweet potatoes and half an onion with olive oil, Moroccan spices and fancy sea salt at 420* until I see caramelization.

Does anyone else use Maldon sea salt? I swear it makes anything I cook incredible and it's just salt. I got it as a Christmas present this year. My friend calls it "sexy salt" and I completely agree. If you need to treat yourself in a non-sugary way, I'd recommend it.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1828 on: January 10, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
I'm going back on the whole30 next Monday.  I now have the book from the library, and I'm continuing to cook more at-home.  I have some questions.  I went to a meat market here.  The sign advertised Corn Fed Meat.  I'm thinking this is not a good point.  I did get 2 pork chops and one is cooking as I type.  I don't usually buy meat to cook at home, so I'm not totally sure if corn fed is to be avoided or a necessary evil or actually good.

I have a Pound of butter and i want to make clarified butter.  The book says to strain through cheese cloth.  Would a wire mesh strainer be ok, or is it not fine enough?  Once I find my immersion blender I want to make mayonnaise as well.  I will make up a meal plan for the first week this time, and I'm timing the 30 days to fall between food related activities this time.  I've stayed off dairy, and had only small amounts of bread and sugar, so hopefully just a bit of tweaking will get me compliant again.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1829 on: January 10, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
I'm going back on the whole30 next Monday.  I now have the book from the library, and I'm continuing to cook more at-home.  I have some questions.  I went to a meat market here.  The sign advertised Corn Fed Meat.  I'm thinking this is not a good point.  I did get 2 pork chops and one is cooking as I type.  I don't usually buy meat to cook at home, so I'm not totally sure if corn fed is to be avoided or a necessary evil or actually good.

I have a Pound of butter and i want to make clarified butter.  The book says to strain through cheese cloth.  Would a wire mesh strainer be ok, or is it not fine enough?  Once I find my immersion blender I want to make mayonnaise as well.  I will make up a meal plan for the first week this time, and I'm timing the 30 days to fall between food related activities this time.  I've stayed off dairy, and had only small amounts of bread and sugar, so hopefully just a bit of tweaking will get me compliant again.

Good to hear from you shadowmoss :) Ideally in a perfect world you want grass-fed, organic happy cows, chickens, and pigs.  The term I tend to look for up here is pastured/pasture raised. Now, I'm not American, so I guess when you are talking pork, corn fed means at least they are being fed grains and not some of the other nasties that are in factory farmed meat?  Maybe someone can shed better light on it :)

The key things to keep in mind is go as high quality as you can with your budget and circumstances allowing. The more natural the diet of the animal, they better they will be for you. That being said, you are cooking at home. That is awesome, Don't stress on the minutia, get a solid foundation and if you want to upgrade you can!

For the Ghee it depends on the size of your mesh, you just want to make sure you catch all the solids. You can use a piece of paper towel, although it is a little awkward -  or even a sock (preferably clean!)

LandLady -
I love fancy salts! Maldon is lovely! The vindaloo sounds great too!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1830 on: January 10, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »

Really glad I went to the trouble of packing my Instant Pot, immersion blender and lots of compliant spices and condiments!

Glad you made it safely! Wait....did you fly? With your Instant pot?? That takes some dedication! I can't help with all the threads and comments and such I am missing out on some wonderful, revolutionary piece of equipment...Is it really so amazing?

Yes, I flew and packed it in checked luggage, along with canned sardines, duck fat, immersion blender and a good knife.  Imagine my surprise that TSA searched that one.  ;-)  I love the IP  so much I bought an extra on Black Friday and use them simultaneously about once a week.  Cooking drumstick in it tonight, then use the bones for stock, then chicken curry and green soup all done in the Instant Pot.  The soup pot that came with the apartment is about 2 quarts.

So I decided to add fancy cheese to my diet.  Previous experience plus some recent reading lead me to the conclusion that it's fine.  If I stick with the pricey stuff I won't eat too much.  I also ended up with peanut butter because the $12 cashew butter had sunflower and or safflower oil, and the PB just had organic peanuts and salt.  Recent reading also said peanuts tend to down regulate glycerin response, which is a bonus.  Found some compliant andouille sausage at whole foods, so had a skillet tonight with that, onion, mushrooms, sweet potato and jalapeño. 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1831 on: January 10, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
R1D3

So far, so good. I haven't felt well yesterday or today, but I don't think that's much related to the W30.  I spent Sunday just cooking/prepping, so the past couple of days have been easy enough.  I was running late this morning and, needing finger food, I sliced a sausage and dropped it in a frying pan with an already diced roasted sweet potato.  I chucked the pile in a baggy and ate it on the way to a meeting.  I think those Aidell's sausages will save me this month.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1832 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
Day 10. I may have cheated since Whole30 doesn't like smoothies, but I needed something to fill me up today and our fridge is running low on vegetables.
1/2 banana
handful of frozen blueberries
1/4 can of coconut milk
all blended together... Let's just call it a cold soup rather than a smoothie so I can get away with this. :/
I've... made almost that exactly for breakfast pretty often.  But I do a full can of coconut milk, a whole banana, a raw egg, giant handful of frozen blueberries (strawberries too if I have some), and sometimes some collagen and vanilla extract.  Good stuff.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1833 on: January 11, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »
Day 10 today. Since we're big food-preppers it's really not too difficult. Had friends over Friday night, they drank alcohol and ordered pizza but we sipped on water and ate leftovers. Went to a gym party Saturday night, we were able to stick to it by eating plain brisket, mashed potatoes that we brought, and tons of fresh vegetables and fruits that people brought. Can't really eat at either of our parents' houses but we still managed to visit both sets this weekend. Looking forward to beer when this is all over though.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1834 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
Sounds like you are doing awesome, Philociraptor!

Today is day 3 round...umm I dunno. I think in some ways doing a strict Whole 30 this time around is going to be harder than the first. We have gotten into a pretty good groove of 80+%  between hubs and I. That extra 20% requires WAY more thought and planning - mostly in making sure hubs is fed enough and with enough variety to keep him interested.

I love the Wins/challenges format they are doing in the Uber frugal January thread, and we use to do here but stopped some time ago, so I'd like to re-kindle that, especially so we are putting our challenges out to the group for feedback and support.

Wins: Yesterday for supper I roasted some "Steaks" of cabbage in the oven, had some of our left over roasted sweet potatoes and I pan-fried some steak in some ghee with some preserved lemon bits in it. Used that as a pan sauce over everything. Very much nom nom.

Challenges: Today will be awkward. I have been tutoring our Syrian Refugee family. Arabic tea is such a part of their culture and it is all they have to give. It is always sweetened, like so much so that it becomes thick. Ususally, I try and choke down a mouthful or two (although it makes me gag) and then I break out and feel like shit after, even after just a sip or two.

For all the navigating of family and setting expectations and boundaries, this has been the one situation I have been struggling with. I'm going to just have to do it, but I don't have the Arabic to really explain the "why" behind it and they don't have the English skills (yet!) to get it. So we'll see how it goes.

R1D3

So far, so good. I haven't felt well yesterday or today, but I don't think that's much related to the W30.  I spent Sunday just cooking/prepping, so the past couple of days have been easy enough.  I was running late this morning and, needing finger food, I sliced a sausage and dropped it in a frying pan with an already diced roasted sweet potato.  I chucked the pile in a baggy and ate it on the way to a meeting.  I think those Aidell's sausages will save me this month.

Way to go, 10dollars! That is a good win :)

How is everyone doing? What are your wins and challenges?

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1835 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
I've got this nasty cough that I can't seem to shake though and I'm worried I might need to break to take some non-compliant cough drops.  I've tried tea and that doesn't really help.  Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm late to respond, Babyshark! I hope you are feeling better! It's hard to make suggestions without really knowing what is going on with you, is it a dry cough or a wet cough? Are you bringing up flem and junk? Do you have a sore throat?  When my mom went off dairy she coughed up a lot of junk as her body cleared it out. 

Some ideas: Cough sore throat - Slippery elm tea or lozenges (I'm not sure what else is in the lozenges, some are just compressed and formed slippery elm) and Licorice http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-licorice-root.html are what I usually use.

Also, there are quite a few essential oils that are good for inhalation for cough and cold. I'm not comfortable really making recommendations without more info though.

Still feeling like crap, sore throat, wet cough, stuffed nose and aches.  I don't think it's whole30 related because this exact nonsense has been going around my office lately and none of my coworkers are on Whole30 (which I'm reminded about when they invite me to our favorite burger place and I sit out).

I was nervous about a cocktail party I was supposed to go to last night, my boss was going to be there and he's not a big fan of people not enjoying the bar, but I felt so terrible yesterday I even went home early from work (which I never do) and I look and sound so terrible today they're trying to get me to go home early again.

Foodwise, I feel ok, I had lots of stuff in the house which helped but man I miss cheese.  Ah well, I can survive until it's time to reintroduce.  My husband noted today that he's feeling great, he thinks his skin has cleared up and his clothes are fitting a little looser so he's happy.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1836 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
I'm back for R3(?)D9!

Timeline is different this time, had the bloating early but my belly is already flatter.

Fiance is doing it with me (his first round), which is a completely different experience. I always do the cooking, and hadn't realized how much he eats breakfast and lunch out or at his work cafeteria. Cooked food disappears from the fridge at an ALARMING pace with two adults! On the flip side, he's doing nearly all of the dishes, which is AMAZING and should stave off my cooking fatigue.

Dishes I've made so far (mostly from Nom Nom Paleo):
Mexican Beef
Pulled pork
Cracklin chicken
Broccoli with bacon
Roasted Kabocha
Lots of side salads with vinaigrette
Stir-fried brussels sprouts
Turkey sausage patties
Egg salad
Lettuce tacos
Pork belly
Pan-roasted salmon
Chilean sea bass
Scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon - this is our standard weekend breakfast anyways, so I just add veggies for me

Upcoming:
Wings (sub baking soda/cream of tartar for baking powder...for crispyness)
Short ribs
Sweet potato fries
Chili
Roast chicken thighs
More pork belly (roasted instead of pan-fried)

Between rounds, my diet varies greatly from mostly-compliant to not-at-all-compliant. I do love my high-quality chocolate, but don't actually have the sugar dragon to tame anymore...I don't normally eat sweets every day. Carbs and cheese are tougher to manage.

This round is my first with the Instant Pot and it really helps (yay being able to make Kalua Pork on a weeknight with no prep). I came down with a cold last Thursday and have been pretty grumpy about no cough drops. I take Benadryl some nights and allergy medicine during the day, plus Throat Coat tea. Not being able to make my default rice porridge has been kind of a downer, but I just ate leftovers, smaller portions due to less appetite -- that probably was best anyways because I wasn't expending much energy, so why would I need to eat as much as usual?

For next week I'm going to try bigger batches of food so I don't have to spend quite as much time cooking. Haven't hit any extraordinary challenges yet, but I'm traveling for a few days near the end of the month so will have to plan for that.

Oh and grocery spending has been HIGH. Last weekend I went to Whole Foods and went a little nuts -- fighting feelings of deprivation with luxury foods. But I think with not eating out (except while travelling, and a few local meals at a Mediterranean place) it still may be a wash. I also ordered sugar-free bacon online because fiance claimed he couldn't live without it *eyeroll* Oh but our food waste is expected to be super low this month because all the leftovers get eaten, yay! (Usually I have trouble figuring out what fiance will eat leftovers of and subsequently things go bad).

Do you guys always use top-quality meat? After reading about factory farms I mostly do...Whole Foods and local farms aren't that different on cut prices though. Trader Joe's has grass-fed ground, but I don't know how the rest of the meat is raised, really. I got a chest freezer for Christmas, so at some point we'll buy a half cow or pig or both.

Great to see everyone here doing their first, or several-th, Whole 30!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1837 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
Day 11, Round 1
Wins: I think tiger blood hit me last night! I went sledding last night under the moonlight with my family and ended up running up the hill between runs to get my heart rate going. And today I woke up with tons of energy and had a dance party with my toddler on "drums" (aka knitting needles and chair) before getting started on work for the day. A special thank you to Adele for inspiring us.
I've also noticed that the little fat pad on my lower back has disappeared. Yes! Why is there even fat there anyway? Good riddance little fat pad.

Challenges: My fridge is out of fresh veggies and fruit so it's time to 'Eat everything in the freezer' for a few days. Frozen broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries and cherries are my choices. Recipe ideas anyone?

Great idea on the wins/challenges format, swick!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:03:56 PM by Landlady »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1838 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
  My husband noted today that he's feeling great, he thinks his skin has cleared up and his clothes are fitting a little looser so he's happy.

YAY! That is great motivation to keep on going! Sorry you are still feeling crappy :S at least it gets you out of the cocktail party?

Rawr237 - Great job so far! Thanks for the detailed updates - I'm especially interested to see how things are different with your fiancee in on this round! Your list of meals has inspired me as well :)

Re: Meat: I'm in Canada so it is all damn expensive, I think the important thing is to do what you can with the funds you have available. Costco in the US usually has ground organic beef for not too outrageous (I mean compared to our prices!)

Challenges: My fridge is out of fresh veggies and fruit so it's time to 'Eat everything in the freezer' for a few days. Frozen broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries and cherries are my choices. Recipe ideas anyone?

Way to go on the tiger blood (isn't it awesome!) and the body changes! That is fantastic! If it is showing already on your outsides, imagine how good your insides are becoming!

Re: frozen food: For veggies I think roasting makes everything better. Even the frozen stuff.  I love roasted cherry tomatoes, toss them with some oil, chopped garlic, salt and pepper  and roast them till they pop. This is also a good soup base or sauce base - there will be a lot of liquid so use a baking dish.

Frozen Fruit: This MAY BE SWYPO depending on your point of view but I made a cobbler this morning with frozen fruit and the cobbler from this recipe (doubled for a larger skillet of fruit that will feed us for a couple of days): http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/ Leave out the maple syrup and vanilla and bacon. I added orange zest and poppyseeds. 

My reasoning why it is not SWYPO for us. These are all compliant foods Hubs should be eating. He has basically all these foods as a monkey bowl anyways. It doesn't set off any cravings or other food triggers. We are not substituting anything - this is the only version of cobbler he has ever had, so it is not a replacement for something familiar. Also, it gets eggs and some healthy fats in him and provides more nutrients and protein than his usual breakfast.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
Today is R2 D9 and Im craving all the things. I even had a dream where I was just diving into a bowl of XXX and gorging myself. So weird! I actually woke up feeling guilty and scared it was real. I know this happens to people on W30, but still, so weird!

But Im hanging in there. Went to the store last night and now my fridge is bursting full of veggies. I had beef stew today, which is one of my favorites, so Im trying to eat foods I love to take my mind off the other stuff.

I dont think I got Tiger blood last time, so I REALLY hope I get some this round :) Just to see how it feels.

Kudos to you all who have to deal with coworkers and bosses taking notice of your eating habits. Im at home with the kids so I dont get too much flak.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1840 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »

Kudos to you all who have to deal with coworkers and bosses taking notice of your eating habits. Im at home with the kids so I dont get too much flak.

No kidding. I've always brought my lunch to work, so no one really noticed. I did tell a couple coworkers and when treats are out everyone has been very supportive. I've even convinced them to use a different table so the goodies aren't right beside me (I sit beside the most convenient table for treats). One coworker even let me borrow me her Whole30 book.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1841 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »

No kidding. I've always brought my lunch to work, so no one really noticed. I did tell a couple coworkers and when treats are out everyone has been very supportive. I've even convinced them to use a different table so the goodies aren't right beside me (I sit beside the most convenient table for treats). One coworker even let me borrow me her Whole30 book.

Right there with you. My coworkers love going out to lunch and it's a great chance for me to get to spend time with some of the older attorneys and bond/socialize.  But that doesn't happen when I bring my lunch.  They've slowly come around to the idea that I'm not going out to lunch with them (which is great for my wallet and my waistline) but they still ask all the time.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1842 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
Great job N, Cookie and Babyshark! Finding coping strategies is great! Love that your coworkers are supporting you, Cookie!

N - It'll get better! Making things you love like the stew are a great way to get over the cravings faster. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water and figure out some non-food self-care distraction. It is easy to obsess a bit because there is so much more to keep track of and think about on the Whole 30.

WINS: Hubs is feeling more motivated. He forgot to weigh himself before starting, so I got him to do it this morning. He's at 202.7 He was 250+ when we started in Sept 2015. So he's lost weight a little slower, but he has been consistently losing without really realizing it. It is a GREAT place to be starting from. I don't think he's been under 200 his entire adult life.

Challenge: Hubs came home last night and said that he was going to have some problems with work. They are in full day meetings for a couple of days which are catered (IE premade sandwiches and industrial soup from the grocery store) because they don't want people to break for lunch. So no reheating his usual dinner leftovers.  Luckily we were going to the store anyways so with a bit of adjusting I was able to come up with a protein packed salad he will actually eat (I made a middle eastern spiced crockpot chicken), some dried fruit and nuts and an orange. Hopefully, this will tide him over for today and I'll have to do some planning for some non-heated lunches he'll actually want to eat.

Challange2 - It is uber frugal January, dammit and y'all are making me want to buy an instant pot!!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1843 on: January 12, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »
An instant pot is frugal.  It makes frugal meals quicker and easier so helps the bottom line over all.  I just need to get mine out of the car (part of my storage as my RV is small) and practice what I preach.

My pork was delicious the other day so I will put that cut into rotation.  I have one frozen for next week.  I'm making small changes slowly this wk to me compliant by Monday. 

My phone isn't being compliant this morning so hope some of the above is readable.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1844 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
An instant pot is frugal.  It makes frugal meals quicker and easier so helps the bottom line over all.  I just need to get mine out of the car (part of my storage as my RV is small) and practice what I preach.

My pork was delicious the other day so I will put that cut into rotation.  I have one frozen for next week.  I'm making small changes slowly this wk to me compliant by Monday. 

My phone isn't being compliant this morning so hope some of the above is readable.

Oh I'm sure that it is, I just have 3 crockpots already :P Although if I got an IP I could have a dedicated soap making crock and that would be awesome!

So glad your pork turned out! How are you finding the shopping, cooking, and whole food stuff right now?

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1845 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »

Oh I'm sure that it is, I just have 3 crockpots already :P Although if I got an IP I could have a dedicated soap making crock and that would be awesome!

So glad your pork turned out! How are you finding the shopping, cooking, and whole food stuff right now?

I'm sure I could have survived Whole30 without my IP, but man does it make things a lot easier.  Cannot recommend it more.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1846 on: January 12, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

Uhoh, did it trip up and eat a cookie?  ;-P

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1847 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
Day12
I'm not a IP owner because every time I think about it I can't imagine fitting it in my kitchen cabinets. I guess if my slow cooker goes out I will get one.
I have had food dreams too! I used to dream about buffets of food when I was pregnant two years ago. My last food dream was on day 8 and I felt guilty in my dream! Then I realized I was dreaming and tried to go back to sleep to have the same dream guilt-free, but it didn't work. :/

Win: I'm finding it a lot easier to make non compliant foods for my son and husband and not feel left out. Last night they ate rice and I had no issue skipping it. And today I made them hot cocoa after spending hours out in the 0* temps and I made myself a hot coconut milk and cocoa drink with a date instead. The slight bit of sugar from the date was just enough.
Second win is that I no longer have a dessert craving after dinner now. If I get hungry again before bed I have no issue reheating leftovers even with the husband eating dessert right next to me.

Challenge: Meal planning and thoughts of Whole30 are taking away from my working time. I find myself looking up recipes instead of working. I've GOT to focus better today.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1848 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Wins: Finding this easy peasy up until now.

Challenges: I got hit by a mega-cold or something today and I can hardly breathe. Looking at the Buckly's non-medicinal ingredients it doesn't look pretty...

gelatin, glycerin, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, water.

Allowed? Yeh or Neh?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1849 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Sorbitol is not, one.of the alcohol nas artificial.sweereners like xylotol, which I wish I could have.  At least I think it is, bases on my reading.