Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427021 times)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1750 on: December 19, 2016, 08:57:11 AM »
I'm still clearing out the non-compliant food.  One tortilla left for bread products.  I am segregating the other stuff.  Most will probably go to my Mom or boyfriend.  My only internet at home right now is my phone as I moved to a different RV park and no longer have free wifi.  Until I get it sorted any long posts will beade from the library.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #1751 on: December 22, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
Holiday advice:

Eat a big, filling meal just before you go, and have a big filling meal waiting for you in a crockpot for when you get back.

Swick, I'm interested in your group, but 1-1 virtual call turns me off because my life is too busy as it is and adding another appointment sounds terrible.  Is that a central aspect of your program?  I'd be way more interested in 1-1 email consultation!  just my two cents.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1752 on: December 23, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
Hey folks!

Working out the planning.  Found a compliant coconut milk (silk brand no sugar added) for BP coffee in the morning.  I may try adding an egg into my BP coffee.....  Working on some meal planning for January but it is slow going.  I started prepping the kids, letting the 6 yr old know we are focusing on fruits, veggies, meats and homemade food to start the year.  Our plan is to keep all food in the house compliant.  Mr. six was concerned about the icecream social at school- I let him know thats not a problem :) we are just not going to BUY icecream for the house in January.

Swick- I'd love to join up a group like that but I'm not sure if it would fit in my schedule. 

I am planning on trying some breakfast casserole recipes.  Any other QUICK and easy breakfast options?  Kids usually have either eggs or oatmeal for breakfast.  Our littlest kiddo is allergic or eggs and just starting to eat breakfast with the rest of the family.  I know we can just do leftovers or give him sweet potato and avocado for breakfast but it would be nice to have a good option for everyone.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1753 on: December 23, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Done with work until Tuesday and sitting down for a bit of planning now.

I thought I would re-post my Whole30 Pinterest board for anyone looking for resources:  https://www.pinterest.com/kapelakin/whole-30/

I will be working on editing it over the next week or two to make it work better for the limited pantry I'll have in DC, and try to find some basic menus to pin.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1754 on: December 28, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
I'm in. I was going to start Jan 1, but why wait??

A few years ago I lost 65 pounds, and since then it's crept back up 35. I don't ever want to slide back all the way where I was, but it's getting dangerously close already. I've been trying halfheartedly to lose weight the last year, lost 10, gained 10. So here I am. I need to do something serious and shake things up a bit. I need to get real, like the first time I lost weight so successfully.

My goal is 31 pounds in the next 31 weeks, but for now I'm working on step one. January goal: Whole 30, starting Friday Dec 30. I know the carb cravings suck to get through the first few days, and without a goal I haven't been able to break through this tough wall recently. In fact, I find myself WAY more sugar and carb craving than usual over the past few months.

The good news is, I have a freezer full of meat and garden veggies that I need to work through, and a few buckets full of potatoes which I see are now allowed! I just need to stop making bread, and to hide the rice, flour, sugar, butter, soy sauce, oatmeal, and yogurt.

I can do this, ya? I have a day and a half to figure out a game plan, learn the rules, and hide or use up the not-allowed foods in my house.

I'm excited. :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1755 on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:54 AM »
I'm pushing my start date back a week.  For Christmas, I'm taking my Mom to afternoon tea at the Grand America.  Pricey, but everyone I've talked to says worth it.  It's something we've never done before, and I try to have all of my Mom's gifts be experiences.  A couple of years ago, I took her for a mani/pedi.  First either of us had ever had. :)

Anywho.  Problem with waiting until Christmas to tell her is that I couldn't get a reservation this week.  So we're going next Saturday and I'll start my whole30 the following Sunday. 

The book came in at the library this week, so I've been reading through it.  I'm working on prepping ingredients; chopping, parcooking, and freezing winter squash, freezing frittatas, riced cauliflower, homemade sausages, etc.  Trying to make this as easy on myself as possible, considering that I have multiple 16 hour work days lined up in January. 

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #1756 on: December 28, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
ARGH!  Help!  I'm on Day 16 and I am struggling!  Seriously craving crunchy stuff and also flour tortillas.  Surprisingly handling the sweets ok so far.  I've never been one to struggle with chips, usually sugar is my thing, but right now I want crunchy chips!  Tortilla chips, potato chips, whatever. 

Willpower is weakening......

Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1757 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »
This is my first post outside the welcome thread but I'm on board for a Whole30 starting January 1st. I completed a double (Whole60?) about 2.5 years ago but totally fumbled the reintro by having a cheeseburger and milkshake on the first day off the program. Hopefully this time around I can do a better job there.

LadyStache, might you be craving salt? I had never put salt on anything, maybe ever, until I did Whole30. If you crave a crunch is there a veg that does the trick (bell pepper, carrots, celery)? You're more than half way, you can do it!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1758 on: December 29, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Welcome to our Whole 30 thread Cookie78 and Helmet!

Helmet - A big welcome to the forums as well! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as you find your way around :)
The reintro really seems to the key between people who are successful long-term and those who do a bit of a reset but continue to struggle. It is easier to avoid the things that don't work for you when you know exactly what they are.

Ladystache - Distraction is your best friend! Helmet is right, your body may be craving  salt. Another option is to eat a pickle, usually does the trick for me :) All of the crunchy stuff you are craving are also simple carbs - which are processed like sugar, so it might be your body going to "plan B" to get more of the fuel it is use to having.

Horsepoor - Thanks for sharing the link again to your Pinterest, it has some great stuff on it!

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1759 on: December 29, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Sent here by Swick, doing my first Whole 30 starting Jan 2.  Prepping right with a big batch of bone broth in my slow cooker today, fingers crossed I finally get a gel!

Looking forward to the mustachian tips!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1760 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
Sent here by Swick, doing my first Whole 30 starting Jan 2.  Prepping right with a big batch of bone broth in my slow cooker today, fingers crossed I finally get a gel!

Welcome to the thread, BabyShark! I have a much easier time getting my bone broth to gel in the crockpot on low, since the gel is destroyed if it boils. My mom's crockpot, even on low, I discovered, boils the heck out of it.   It also helps get a bit more nutrients and calcium out of the bones if you add a splash (like a tsp) of apple cider (or other) vinegar.

A successful and lower-cost whole 30 really depends on prep work and meal planning. I don't know if you have any produce liquidation shops near where you live? We don't where I am, but I have a friend in WA who found an AWESOME liquidation place that has tons of organic veggies. It has been a HUGE savings for her. Doesn't hurt to shop around. I also have a bulk place where I get the staples like coconut oil and coconut chips, nuts and such. If you have a Costco close by there are also a lot of saving to be had there on staples as well.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1761 on: December 29, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »

Welcome to the thread, BabyShark! I have a much easier time getting my bone broth to gel in the crockpot on low, since the gel is destroyed if it boils. My mom's crockpot, even on low, I discovered, boils the heck out of it.   It also helps get a bit more nutrients and calcium out of the bones if you add a splash (like a tsp) of apple cider (or other) vinegar.

A successful and lower-cost whole 30 really depends on prep work and meal planning. I don't know if you have any produce liquidation shops near where you live? We don't where I am, but I have a friend in WA who found an AWESOME liquidation place that has tons of organic veggies. It has been a HUGE savings for her. Doesn't hurt to shop around. I also have a bulk place where I get the staples like coconut oil and coconut chips, nuts and such. If you have a Costco close by there are also a lot of saving to be had there on staples as well.

Fascinating! I had never heard that the gel gets destroyed if it boils. I added my splash of ACV and I'm using a whole rotisserie chicken worth of bones, which I haven't done before.  Doing my best to prep for next week, tonight's plan is to make breakfast muffins to stick in the freezer.  I'm going to hopefully swing by BJ's today (I don't have a Costco membership) and see what sorts of things I can pick up.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: December 29, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »

Fascinating! I had never heard that the gel gets destroyed if it boils. I added my splash of ACV and I'm using a whole rotisserie chicken worth of bones, which I haven't done before.  Doing my best to prep for next week, tonight's plan is to make breakfast muffins to stick in the freezer.  I'm going to hopefully swing by BJ's today (I don't have a Costco membership) and see what sorts of things I can pick up.

Apparently, the gel is caused by the collagen and that is heat sensitive. The nutrients aren't gone, but the structure gets nuked. It sounds like when you are making stock you are not using enough bones? Stock that doesn't gel for that reason may if you simmer out some of the extra water.  <----all this is according to my mom and Grandma and so on. It might not be 100% science grounded but seems to have held up over the years :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: January 02, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
3 days down! 10% done!

So far so good. I was craving sugary carbs pretty hard after 5pm on the first day, and after 2pm on the second day, but not so bad yesterday. That may have had something to do with the number of potatoes I ate!

I've been letting myself eat as much allowed food as I need to, at least for the first week while I get over the sugar/carb hurdle. It's included an astronomical amount of veggies and about twice as much fruit as usual. Lucky for me, I have enough frozen garden veggies ready to go to survive a few more months at his rate if I had to.

Also I've been adding wayyyy more herbs and salt than usual to my food, with fantastic results.

Today is my first day at work while doing Whole30. I was worried it would be a tough one since I have less food options and need to avoid the treats people bring in, so I made all sorts of food last night and brought in nearly 2 days worth, just in case I needed it. So far so good!

I find having food thawed or prepared ready to go is HUGE for my success so far. Also stir fried swiss chard, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, with herbs and salt is F'ing amazing delicious!

Also, sauces! I bought some almond/coconut milk (the only coconut milk at my store had soy in it) with the intention of making some sauce with it. Does anyone have any recommendations or favorites they want to share?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1764 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
I started Round 2 today. I was compliant all day, even though I made turkey and gravy calzones for my family for dinner and they looked really amazing. LOL.

I really find having premade components in the fridge helps SO Much. cooked spagetti squash, some soups, broths, etc just waiting to go.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1765 on: January 03, 2017, 05:01:31 AM »
I am back after 2 weeks off :-)  Planning to continue where I left off in mid-December and looking forward to hanging out with you all again.  I started another Whole 30 yesterday (with the exception for milk for my morning coffee for now - I may switch to black tea later in the month).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1766 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »
This WaPo writer is doing a second W30 while four of her co-workers do four other diets for the month.  Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.  Whole30, take 2: what I'll do differently this time
5 diets, a single resolution

I'm eating better than I was in the cookie avalanche that was December, but still not fully compliant.  Ran out of cream and have switched to coconut oil coffee, but still eating Kerrygold cheese.  Made a big pot of compliant Thom ka gai last night. Kind of a balance between eating well and using up perishable ingredients DH won't use while I'm gone. Felt like garbage yesterday but I don't think it was diet-related.

Discovered that I have The Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser on my Kindle, so I read through some of that the other night.  Since I'm not doing W30 for real, and my main goal is to lose some weight, I'm settling on going low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eating some carbs each night.  I'll probably just have coffee with egg and coconut oil for breakfast, then a lunch of tuna or chicken salad and maybe some berries or a small orange, then a larger dinner with baked sweet potato or similar, so I'll be around 100-120 grams of carbs and restricting my carb intake to about a 6 hour window each day, but not strictly intermittent fasting.  This is all predicated on getting my butt out of bed and working out before work 3 days a week.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:39:07 AM by horsepoor »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1767 on: January 03, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »
This WaPo writer is doing a second W30 while four of her co-workers do four other diets for the month.  Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.  Whole30, take 2: what I'll do differently this time
5 diets, a single resolution

I'm eating better than I was in the cookie avalanche that was December, but still not fully compliant.  Ran out of cream and have switched to coconut oil coffee, but still eating Kerrygold cheese.  Made a big pot of compliant Thom ka gai last night. Kind of a balance between eating well and using up perishable ingredients DH won't use while I'm gone. Felt like garbage yesterday but I don't think it was diet-related.

Discovered that I have The Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser on my Kindle, so I read through some of that the other night.  Since I'm not doing W30 for real, and my main goal is to lose some weight, I'm settling on going low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eating some carbs each night.  I'll probably just have coffee with egg and coconut oil for breakfast, then a lunch of tuna or chicken salad and maybe some berries or a small orange, then a larger dinner with baked sweet potato or similar, so I'll be around 100-120 grams of carbs and restricting my carb intake to about a 6 hour window each day, but not strictly intermittent fasting.  This is all predicated on getting my butt out of bed and working out before work 3 days a week.

Sounds very much like what I am doing in January as well. 

I did a strict Whole 30 in November, then the slightly modified one like you are doing in the first half of December.  Then ate a whole bunch of non-compliant foods for the rest of the month and now I'm back to where I left off in December.  My main goal is to lose weight - I'd like to go down 10 lbs by mid-March.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1768 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I am pretty much compliant I think. Sunday I had a few handfuls of nuts for breakfast as my bf was out of eggs for the first time ever when I've been there, then I stopped at McDinalds and got two sausage egg McMuffin hold the muffin and cheese.  Not sure the sausage was totally compliant but I did my best.  Mostly fruit and coffee and dates until last night.  I ate about 1/4 of a Walmart roasted chicken.  I do have some veggies to cook today and I got the coconut milkto make it into a curry.  No bread or grains or dairy or sugar.  Lots of bananas and grapes and dates so I'm not missing the sugar stuff at all so far as I'm getting plenty.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1769 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Yesterday was R1D1.  I stayed at my father's house a night longer than expected for the holidays.  So I woke up yesterday morning and made a compliant breakfast there: broccoli sautéed in olive oil, over easy egg, 1/4 avocado and 2 slices of complaint bacon.  I skipped the coffee since he makes it super strong and bitter and I didn't have any CCO or ghee to make BP coffee with, paid dearly with a headache all day for that choice.

Didn't have a scale with me yesterday, so weighed and measured today.

Today I'm home, so easier to eat well.  I finally cleaned out our pantry of all non-complaint ingredients this morning.  So far, so good.  I have a head cold and had that caffeine headache yesterday so I can attribute none of my mystery to Whole30.  Wondering if we might go longer than 30 days in our household.  DH and kids eat what I cook/buy- but also eat out (ie at school).  If we go longer I might get a better read on dairy and grains on the kiddos during reintroduction.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1770 on: January 03, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
Today is R1D2 for me, yesterday was rough because I ended up being in the car all day and so went until about 6:30 before I got to eat.  Prepped a bunch of stuff after a TJ's run.  This morning I actually had breakfast, which is rare for me, because I prepped some spinach and egg cups.  Had a hardboiled egg at 10:30 and then my chili and snacks after the gym around 2:15.  I don't feel like I've eaten much differently than I normally would but I'm super foggy and not feeling right.  I feel like it's too early for this to be Whole30 related, so I'm hoping it passes shortly.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1771 on: January 03, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Doing a Whole 30+rice this January with the wife. Today is day 1. Had 2 slices of bacon + 3 eggs for breakfast, 8 oz baked chicken thighs + roasted cauliflower + Mexican rice for lunch. Dinner will probably be 8 oz meatloaf meatballs + roasted zucchini and tomatoes + sweet potato hash. This will be our 5th year doing a January Whole 30.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1772 on: January 04, 2017, 02:58:11 AM »
You all are very inspiring.  I'm a little late to the party but you've encouraged me to throw my hat in the ring and join your thread. I'm on round one, day three. I'm looking forward to the mutual support and advice of this group.

I'm feeling good except for a wicked headache. I think I might need to find some tea to replace my coffee which I haven't learned to like without cream.   I definitely need to make a grocery run for some staples. The whole30 is hard when you've run out of eggs!

Here's to our good health!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1773 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
The whole30 is hard when you've run out of eggs!

And fruit! I don't think I've gone through a bag of oranges so fast. Went to the grocery store on the weekend and bought my usual amount of groceries. Went back last night and spent $17 just on fruit and mushrooms because I was already out. Also forgot how much I like mushrooms!

So far at work I am not even tempted by the chocolates and treats. Not worth it. Pretty happy about that.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1774 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »
Hi gang! I started my first Whole 30 on Jan 1 and I'm excited to follow along with everyone's tips and progress. It's been going well so far for me because January is a slow month and I'm home often.

I think the hardest part is that I got a book for Christmas about baking bread. I really want to read it but I'm afraid to tempt myself!

Thanks for the tip about ACV in broths! I make lots of chicken soup from leftover rotisserie chickens in the winter.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1775 on: January 04, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Collagen in my tea makes it taste cream-ish. Not exactly the same, but a reasonable facsimile.

http://whole30.com/2016/09/vital-proteins-faq/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1776 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
Love coming back and seeing so many new posts! Hubs and I are starting on the 8th...seems to be a pattern with us :)  Originally we were going to do a whole 30 plus buckwheat, but Hubs said he wants to do a full, complete whole 30. So I am back to struggling to find good breakfasts for him, but worth it if he is willing to do it!

Did anyone have any realizations or interesting Christmas experiences? I found that overall there has been a definite shift towards healthy for both our families. Very noticeable with mine as my mom and sister have done various rounds of whole 30 with me. We kept everything gluten-free and interestingly there was significantly less alcohol consumed - even family members who have a problem with it. It seems there have been some major attitude shifts overall. It highlights the type of shifts that can be hard and how important a strong support network is :)

Christmas day was a bit harder as we were at Hubby's parents. There was much less consumption than normal, and they tried to keep our healthy eating in mind for gifts for us (we got nuts instead of chocolate, that sort of thing) but there was still so so so much chocolate and candy everywhere. Willpower was tested...sort of... there was almost so much that it was all a turn-off. Every time I was tempted I'd go seek out the packaging.

Overall, despite serious lack of sleep, we felt much better after this Christmas than last. We had lots of practice eating consciously and figuring out what was worth it to indulge in and what wasn't.

Cookie78: This is a great roundup post for sauces: http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2015/01/Whole-30-Sauces.html

Way to go for not giving into the Chocolate temptation!

N: I think you re stronger than I, don't think I could make calzones and not eat them. I finally gave away my flour and most of my bread making cookbooks. I feel lighter and not as tempted.

ZiziPB: Good to see you back!

Horsepoor: How is the Paleo Cure? Worth the read? Any tidbits you could share?

Shadowmoss: Good job on the curry! You may want to be careful about how much fruit you are eating, especially the dates. They may keep your sugar dragon alive and kicking. You may want to slowly wean off of them as you are getting more used to eating this way. I know it is a HUGE shift for you, and you are doing awesome :)

MEJG: How are you feeling now? It would be interesting to see how your kiddos respond. I kinda wish I'd done this as a child, I would have found out 25 or so years ago that I could indeed breathe through my nose :) The breakfast you made at your dad's sounds great!

Babyshark: How are you feeling? Good job on having breakfast and being prepped for your day!

Philociraptor: Welcome! Nice to have a whole 30 veteran join us. What have been some of your biggest takeaways from having done so many? How was life changed for you? Have you kept up eating similar the rest of the year or do you do more of a reset and then go back to eating normally the rest of the year? So many questions!

Monkeymind: Welcome! How is the headache? This is a great place for support. If you don't like any of the bullet proofing or buzzed options for coffee, it would be worth it to try some tea. The caffeine withdrawals mixed with the carb flu and sugar withdrawals is a NASTY experience.

Landlady: Welcome! I would suggest putting away the bread book for the month. It makes it so much harder. Once I discovered gluten really doesn't work for me I would feel horrible just going by my cookbook shelf. I LOVE cookbooks and baking and bread and I've amassed a huge collection, so I felt bad that I didn't read them, then I'd feel bad because I'd read them and get cravings or just feel the loss of not being able to engage in the process. The sunk cost fallacy played a role (even though most of them were gifts or purchased cheaply) It did take me about a year, but I finally got rid of almost all of them. I took the time to find good homes for them with people who would enjoy them and I was able to make them happy and clean out the space on my shelf and in my head.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's challenges, successes, and realizations :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1777 on: January 04, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Did anyone have any realizations or interesting Christmas experiences?
We went to my mom's house for dinner on Christmas and told her ahead of time of our limitations.  She's not much of a cook but she put in a good effort and everything she made was compliant.  The roast beef was overcooked, the broccoli was undercooked (and not seasoned because reasons), and the sweet potato mash was the highlight of the meal.  We brought an apple cake my GF made.  Overall went very well.

We're nearly through our AIP reintroduction.  Just put bell peppers and paprika back on the menu this week.  I missed paprika quite a bit.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1778 on: January 04, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
Philociraptor: Welcome! Nice to have a whole 30 veteran join us. What have been some of your biggest takeaways from having done so many? How was life changed for you? Have you kept up eating similar the rest of the year or do you do more of a reset and then go back to eating normally the rest of the year? So many questions!

Big takeaways:
 - Meal prep, meal prep, meal prep. Having a fridge full of Whole 30-compliant food is key to surviving being at home on the weekends, especially if you have roommates. I've always been one to look in the fridge/pantry when I'm bored, so I need ready-to-eat food on-hand to keep me straight.
 - On snack cravings at work: keep pouch tuna nearby at all times. If you aren't hungry enough to eat one on those, you aren't actually hungry. Go drink some water.
 - Missing non-compliant foods? Kill it with decadence! We make sure to include lots of uncured bacon, avocados, eggs, etc., especially during the first week. It's almost impossible to get too much salt when you make all your own food.
 - If doing high-intensity exercise, make sure you are getting plenty of carbs before your workout. I chug a pouch of apple sauce (the kind that's just apple and citric acid) about a half hour before I workout each day.

Life changes:
 - I've realized that losing weight is easy, just have to power through.
 - The converse to that is that keeping it off is hard if you don't have any muscle on your body. I'm of the opinion that everybody, and I mean everybody, could benefit from resistance training a few times a week.
 - I'm more aware of foods that make me feel terrible, whether it's in large amounts or small amounts.
 - Every year I get a bit closer to my ultimate goal weight and body composition, but it's really a life-long thing, and even after 5 and a half years I feel like I have plenty of room to improve.

During the rest of the year we go back to our normal eating, which is Whole 30 + rice/corn (aka the foods of our people) during the week, weekends are free to eat whatever, within reason. We almost never buy bread or flour tortillas, milk, snack foods, sodas, or desserts.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1779 on: January 04, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

- On snack cravings at work: keep pouch tuna nearby at all times. If you aren't hungry enough to eat one on those, you aren't actually hungry. Go drink some water.

HA! I'm totally showing this to Hubs, he is not a big tuna fan so this would be the perfect little visual reminder for him to have at work!

Thanks for sharing, there is lots of good stuff in what you say! I do like the "Kill it with Decadance" theory. Whenever I'm feeling low my go to is a duck egg browned clarified butter hollandaise sauce. Hollandaise makes pretty much everything taste beyond decadent.

Nice to hear from you, Ketchup! I bet it is great to have paprika again! Since you are almost done your AIP reintro, have you found any problem foods for you guys that are part of a reg whole 30?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1780 on: January 04, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
Nice to hear from you, Ketchup! I bet it is great to have paprika again! Since you are almost done your AIP reintro, have you found any problem foods for you guys that are part of a reg whole 30?
We've confirmed that almonds are a no-go for me (very bad).  My GF is more sensitive to coffee than she thought.  White potatoes make our hunger/appetite regulation go a bit nutty if we have them too often (but "smashed potatoes" small potatoes boiled then smashed and baked on a tray with bacon are pretty much the greatest thing ever). 

Excess chocolate makes me feel not-awesome (excess as in half a bar of unsweetened baker's chocolate which I eat like candy because I'm a freak), same with too many raw cashews.  Neither of those are exactly unexpected.

Apart from that, we haven't really hit any sensitivities yet.  We've still got eggplant, milk, cheese, tomatoes, nightshade spices, and chili peppers to reintroduce.  And after that, we already have our date set for returning to our favorite local Thai restaurant (first time eating out together since late September) to see what our bodies think of white rice again.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1781 on: January 04, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

HA! I'm totally showing this to Hubs, he is not a big tuna fan so this would be the perfect little visual reminder for him to have at work!

Haha, I tend to do the same thing, only with kipper snacks or canned sardines and packs of seaweed.  Haven't looked into Whole30 seaweed snacks, but might need to do that.  They are pleasantly crispy and salty, and tend to kill my urge to snack.  Some fermented pickles or kimchi does the trick too.

Swick The Paleo Cure is pretty good if you're new to Paleo, but there's only so much to say.  The part I found helpful recently was where he outlines the macro ratios to shoot for depending upon your circumstances.  Nothing you can't find online though.

I think I'm going to buy the new Gary Taubes book The Case Against Sugar to read on the plane and firm up my resolve.  I've been fighting off a cold and ended up on the couch last night noshing on chocolate chips.  Oops.  At least they were bittersweet?

My aunt brought me a huge container of Gomasio this summer, and I've been loving it on avocados.  It's just seaweed, sesame seeds and salt.  Need to find other things to sprinkle it on!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:05:36 PM by horsepoor »

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1782 on: January 04, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
1967mama: Interesting! I've never heard of using collagen as a cream substitute.

Swick:  Thanks for the welcome. Two Excedrin did the trick. I guess just that little bump of caffeine was enough to get me over the hump. I haven't really craved sugar yet but I guess that's because I just got started. Not hard so far but I won't fool myself that it won't get harder.

Cookie78: I've got two bags of tangerines on my list. Thanks for reminding me to get mushrooms!

Landlady: I feel your pain.  I got TWO bread cookbooks for Christmas! The giver doesn't need to know I've hidden them in the closet for now.

Day 3 is in the books, no more eating today. On to day 4. Anybody have recommendations for mentally preparing myself for the impending carb flu?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:46:43 PM by monkeymind »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1783 on: January 04, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »

Day 3 is in the books, no more eating today. On to day 4. Anybody have recommendations for mentally preparing myself for the impending carb flu?

Drink lots of water. Be gentle with yourself. Know that no matter how crappy you feel, it is temporary. Figure out some non-food ways to indulge in self-care - use these whenever you need, as a pick me up or a distraction when cravings set in. Tell your support network you might be feeling icky and to support you as much as they can. Come here when you are feeling low and need to complain/have a pity party or strategize ways to cope.Get to know the timeline:http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ YOU GOT THIS!

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1784 on: January 04, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Aside from the headache, I haven't noticed the hangover yet. I didn't realize it was already time to want to kill all the things!

EMERGENCY!!!: I'm suddenly going out of town over the weekend and will undoubtedly have at least one restaurant meal where location will not be up to me and it will not be appropriate for me to mention my dietary restrictions. I'm planning to eat from my own stash beforehand and sneak in some homemade balsamic vinaigrette and have a veggie salad if I can't find anything else compliant. If necessary, I'll claim lack of hunger.  I'm nervous about this sudden monkey wrench.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1785 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »

EMERGENCY!!!: I'm suddenly going out of town over the weekend and will undoubtedly have at least one restaurant meal where location will not be up to me and it will not be appropriate for me to mention my dietary restrictions. I'm planning to eat from my own stash beforehand and sneak in some homemade balsamic vinaigrette and have a veggie salad if I can't find anything else compliant. If necessary, I'll claim lack of hunger.  I'm nervous about this sudden monkey wrench.

If you stick to the basics, you should be okay. Just curious, why wouldn't it be appropriate to mention your dietary restrictions? These days, everyone has them, there is much less stigma than there use to be. You don't have to go into all the details, but you could just say you are trying to figure out what some of your allergies are, or something along those lines.

Some ideas: Just ask for any dressings/sauces on the side. Baked potato, salad, grilled meat (salmon, chicken, beef)

If there is any chance you can find out where you will be going ahead of time, they may have an online menu you can look at. Or if you happen to be able to suggest a place, research a couple that might be okay to have in your back pocket should they be looking for suggestions. I have found while traveling the "Find me Gluten-Free" app is an awesome starting place. At the very least these places usually have easy info on their menus.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1786 on: January 05, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
I'm still hanging in there.  The interesting thing for me is the disruption in my habits reguarding food.  No stopping by a fast food place to grab something when I'm out and about, I have to think of something ahead of time.  The tuna reference here I read last night had me opening the last can of salmon here and downing it straight from the can I was so hungry.  Today I need to get in more food, nuts and fruit and different meats.  Not used to actually eating at home this much, apparently.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1787 on: January 05, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
I've got my first real challenge today, going out for a coworker's birthday and an event for my husband's MBA program.  Lunch is ok, I've found something on the menu that should be ok with some modifications but tonight I have NO idea what the buffet is going to look like.  On top of that, I forgot to pack any snacks because I was running late today and just didn't grab anything.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1788 on: January 05, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
I'm still hanging in there.  The interesting thing for me is the disruption in my habits reguarding food. 

I think this is where most of the value of Whole 30 comes in (other than figuring out your sensitivities) So much of what we put in our mouths is out of habit, unconscious, or trying to fill another need (emotional, mental, physical) It really is meant to be a pattern disruptor.

If you are out and about a lot, portable food will be key. You could keep a mini-cooler with you, or more portable snacks - apple or carrots with nut butters or compliant dips, hard boiled eggs, nuts, a thermos of soup or bone broth, sliced meats.

I've got my first real challenge today, going out for a coworker's birthday and an event for my husband's MBA program.  Lunch is ok, I've found something on the menu that should be ok with some modifications but tonight I have NO idea what the buffet is going to look like.  On top of that, I forgot to pack any snacks because I was running late today and just didn't grab anything.

Could you swing by a grocery store and pick up some prepared foods? Hard-boiled eggs, sliced meat, jerky? veggie packs? mixed nuts? Fruits? Even a gas station might have something you could grab.

Buffets these days (at least In Canada) seem to be really good about having lots of options and everything labeled. At the very least you should be able to find a salad bar. There should be some proteins there, and maybe some seeds and such? The good thing about a buffet is you can pick and choose and no one is really analyzing what you are eating.

I'm doing a bunch of food prep to try and get ahead of the game for our start on the 8th. Roasting veggies, making bone broth, putting some sauces together, figuring out what to make for some freezer meals.  Already cursing my hubby's early morning work schedule and dislike of eggs :)

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1789 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
Day 5 for me! I think I finally found a breakfast I like--spinach, mushroom, hamburger (from night before), egg scramble with fancy sea salt. I typically make runny eggs for breakfast, but without homemade toast to sop up the yolk it's just not the same. I also finally woke up with enough energy this morning to get some yoga in before breakfast. I'm hoping tomorrow I can actually motivate to do a Hiit workout. Working out in the morning before breakfast is the ONLY way I've found that I can lose extra lbs. I have about 10 extra ones on me that I'd like to be gone so I don't have to lug them around anymore. :)

Best of luck to everyone meeting challenges and temptations today!

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1790 on: January 05, 2017, 12:45:51 PM »

Could you swing by a grocery store and pick up some prepared foods? Hard-boiled eggs, sliced meat, jerky? veggie packs? mixed nuts? Fruits? Even a gas station might have something you could grab.

Buffets these days (at least In Canada) seem to be really good about having lots of options and everything labeled. At the very least you should be able to find a salad bar. There should be some proteins there, and maybe some seeds and such? The good thing about a buffet is you can pick and choose and no one is really analyzing what you are eating.

I'm doing a bunch of food prep to try and get ahead of the game for our start on the 8th. Roasting veggies, making bone broth, putting some sauces together, figuring out what to make for some freezer meals.  Already cursing my hubby's early morning work schedule and dislike of eggs :)

Yea it's a school event so there'll at least be a vegetarian option, I just know it's going to all look so good and I'm going to have to be really discerning about what I eat.  I have some tuna packs in my desk that I may eat right before I go and that should help too. 

Lunch was tough, we went to an Italian restaurant and I LOVE pasta but I sucked it up and got a salad.  Then they ordered dessert and tiramisu is my absolute favorite.  I'm salivating thinking about it...

Food prep is key, I wish I had done that better but we were out of town for NYE so I didn't get as much done as I wanted to.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1791 on: January 05, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »
babyshark - Way to go on surviving lunch. It can be super hard at first. It does get easier, and the best thing you can do is just not to think about it, or to actively be thinking about all the reasons you are doing whole 30 or envisioning how you will be by the end of it.

The old adage is partly true: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" except I prefer to think of it as "healthy feels" or, in my case, knowing gluten wrecks me, "Nothing tastes as good as pain-free feels!"

Good luck tonight, you got this!

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1792 on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
Day 4 and, overall, I'm feeling pretty good.  I think I just had a moment of panic when my solid weekend plan was upended by this last minute travel surprise.  I'm feeling much more optimistic about successfully navigating the out of town adventure.  Thank you for your words of wisdom, Swick.  I'm sure that helped to pull me off the ledge.

I'm a bit surprised that the hangover and "kill all the things" period have been so subtle up  to now.  I'm still feeling kind of like "what's the big deal?" with maybe a touch of minor irritation.  I did have a terrible (and fortunately short-lived) headache which I guess could count as a hangover but, on the whole, I expected to feel a lot worse up to this point.  I guess I'll count this as a blessing.  I'm hoping I won't be blind-sided by a lot of misery in one fell swoop. 

The pantry is full, I have a million eggs, and I think I'm prepared for the weekend. Keep on keepin' on, everybody! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1793 on: January 05, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »
Day 4 and, overall, I'm feeling pretty good.  I think I just had a moment of panic when my solid weekend plan was upended by this last minute travel surprise.  I'm feeling much more optimistic about successfully navigating the out of town adventure.  Thank you for your words of wisdom, Swick.  I'm sure that helped to pull me off the ledge.

I'm a bit surprised that the hangover and "kill all the things" period have been so subtle up  to now.  I'm still feeling kind of like "what's the big deal?" with maybe a touch of minor irritation.  I did have a terrible (and fortunately short-lived) headache which I guess could count as a hangover but, on the whole, I expected to feel a lot worse up to this point.  I guess I'll count this as a blessing.  I'm hoping I won't be blind-sided by a lot of misery in one fell swoop. 

The pantry is full, I have a million eggs, and I think I'm prepared for the weekend. Keep on keepin' on, everybody!

That's what we're here for :) I know my timeline was off the first time I did it, and I had a real struggle through the second week. I think it has a lot to do with how you were eating beforehand, as well as what else is going on in your life. The timeline is pretty accurate for most people, but there are always exceptions. Hopefully, you are good to go and will be feeling the tiger blood soon! If you end up feeling worse, that is okay too - although not enjoyable, but it may happen.  Drinking enough water is really key!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1794 on: January 05, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
I went to the Dr yesterday to follow up with my blood pressure and it was 124/78 which he said was great. And he halved my bp medicine dosage, which Im excited about. My labs came back very good, so my health is definitely improving.

I have lost 39 lbs in 2016 and hope to continue losing more. I have definitely noticed that when I go off plan, my weight jumps up several lbs at once and then climbs. When I go back to W30, it gradually drops again and then I lose. It seems that I can have a little dairy or a little wheat without a physical reaction but after a few days, it adds up and causes a problem. Legumes are instant discomfort and reaction. sugar and chocolate are triggers and cause cravings and loss of rationality :)

Ive learned that I really love sauteed or grilled Romaine lettuce. Weird huh?

I started R2 on Jan 2, so Im 3 days in. I had some sugar cravings, but I kept away from it.

Hoping you all have continued successes!
feel free to share recipes! :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1795 on: January 06, 2017, 05:33:35 AM »
I lost the battle with chocolate yesterday :-(  Hasn't happened to me before in two prior Whole 30 rounds.  I guess my heart is not in it this time?  Need to refocus and start again but for some reason I am just not motivated at all this time.  I'm wondering if part of it is that I have now firmly established that I have no food allergies or sensitivities besides an easily avoided a latex fruit allergy (avocados, papayas).  Other than that I'm doing the Whole 30 for the sole purpose of losing weight.  And that's no fun...

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1796 on: January 06, 2017, 06:41:11 AM »
This Whole30 nonsense is really messing with my usual Snow Day plans. When it's supposed to snow, I go out and stock up on pizza rolls and mini egg rolls and mac and cheese and wine. Today I have to stock up on veggies.  Which I also like. But it's different.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1797 on: January 06, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »
I went to the Dr yesterday to follow up with my blood pressure and it was 124/78 which he said was great. And he halved my bp medicine dosage, which Im excited about. My labs came back very good, so my health is definitely improving.

I have lost 39 lbs in 2016 and hope to continue losing more. I have definitely noticed that when I go off plan, my weight jumps up several lbs at once and then climbs. When I go back to W30, it gradually drops again and then I lose. It seems that I can have a little dairy or a little wheat without a physical reaction but after a few days, it adds up and causes a problem. Legumes are instant discomfort and reaction. sugar and chocolate are triggers and cause cravings and loss of rationality :)

Ive learned that I really love sauteed or grilled Romaine lettuce. Weird huh?

I started R2 on Jan 2, so Im 3 days in. I had some sugar cravings, but I kept away from it.

Hoping you all have continued successes!
feel free to share recipes! :)

Wahoo, N!! AWESOME health improvements!! I'm not surprised by the grilled Romaine :) I love sauteeing/roasting Brussels and cabbage, last night I sliced some Brussels in half and laid them face down in a cast iron pan with some super hot duck fat. Once they were suitably crisped (a couple of min) I flipped them over to brown on the other side and then topped with some fancy salt and fresh cracked black pepper. SOOO GOOD!

If you can get a deal on a whole duck it is a super economical way to get a bunch of duck fat. I cook the duck in the crockpot and fire it under the broiler to crisp the skin. I'll make stock out of the bones and extra skin and stuff and separate the fat from that. Makes roasted veggies super decadent. I usually get between a cup and a cup and a half of fat, which sells alone here for more than the whole duck!

I lost the battle with chocolate yesterday :-(  Hasn't happened to me before in two prior Whole 30 rounds.  I guess my heart is not in it this time?  Need to refocus and start again but for some reason I am just not motivated at all this time.  I'm wondering if part of it is that I have now firmly established that I have no food allergies or sensitivities besides an easily avoided a latex fruit allergy (avocados, papayas).  Other than that I'm doing the Whole 30 for the sole purpose of losing weight.  And that's no fun...
ZiziPB, my husband has gone through a similar struggle, he doesn't have any really noticeable sensitivities but noticed the long-term trend of feeling like crap after a while. In lots of ways it is easier for me, the decision-making process every single time is largely taken out of it for many things because I react so badly. Having to make the decision on everything, each time you have it definitely exhausts your willpower.

Would it help for you to reframe away from losing weight" to some other positive focused goal? Most people who I've been yo-yo look at it more as a quick fix traditional "diet" vs a longer term healthy way of eating, so you just have to figure out what your balance is. It can be tough, but you can do it!

This Whole30 nonsense is really messing with my usual Snow Day plans. When it's supposed to snow, I go out and stock up on pizza rolls and mini egg rolls and mac and cheese and wine. Today I have to stock up on veggies.  Which I also like. But it's different.

Kill it with decadence! (see duck fat above) I have done a duck fat duck egg hollandaise sauce, which was crazy over the top. These are my totally favorite, complaint chicken wings which are super easy and fun to eat:http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings#

The key here isn't to feel deprived it is to explore and find other alternatives to the less healthy things you love.

How did you make out with dinner?

RANT TIME:
Fucking Sausages. I love our local family owned grocery store - but their fucking sausages. There is clear gluten-free labeling. There is extra info sheets with ingredient lists (they make everything in house) I have talked with at least one of the meat dept people... and I have been bitten by their damn sausages 4 times now.  There is gluten in there somewhere, or cross-contamination enough to flair my Fibro up. I am sore and achy and feel like I got hit by a truck.  They have two locations so I thought maybe standards were slightly different,  so I'll buy sausages at the other I won't, but apparently, whatever is happening in production is happening at both places. Damnit. Time to find a new source. I'm just glad I haven't officially started my next round yet. But I am very whiney today :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1798 on: January 06, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »

I am kind of with you there.  Not having allergies or major sensitivities means spending lots of time finding a balance.  Over the fall, I was experimenting with sourdough baking.  The sourdough seemed to agree with me from a digestion standpoint, though I'm not so sure about a weight management standpoint, because we were eating more carbs overall.  Then in December I started indulging in too many cookies, because I was doing fine with the sourdough.  After a couple weeks of baked goods at every office meeting and function (plus sampling beers with DH on/around his birthday), my gut definitely was disturbed and it felt great to get back to cleaner eating after Christmas, but I can eat 85% clean and reap 99% of the benefits, at least in how I feel day to day, so it's hard to find the discipline to improve the 15% of what I put in my mouth to get the last 1% of benefit. 

I'm reading The Obesity Code right now, and it's really helping me decide how I want to dial things in while I'm doing my 6 day a week program Whole6x8?  I find that I get to lax when I don't follow "the code", but need something else to play around with.  I'm at a point in the book where he's discussing insulin response to protein, and he also provides more discussion about the nuances of glucose load, timing and frequency of eating, etc.  I think after this I might read one of Gary Taubes' books.  Adding more fuel to the "why am I doing this?" fire seems helpful, at least for me.

Also thought I'd post the Nomnom Paleo Whole30 guide for anyone not familiar her January Whole30's.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/155276926793/ready-for-the-january-whole30

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1799 on: January 06, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »

Kill it with decadence! (see duck fat above) I have done a duck fat duck egg hollandaise sauce, which was crazy over the top. These are my totally favorite, complaint chicken wings which are super easy and fun to eat:http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings#

The key here isn't to feel deprived it is to explore and find other alternatives to the less healthy things you love.

How did you make out with dinner?

RANT TIME:
Fucking Sausages. I love our local family owned grocery store - but their fucking sausages. There is clear gluten-free labeling. There is extra info sheets with ingredient lists (they make everything in house) I have talked with at least one of the meat dept people... and I have been bitten by their damn sausages 4 times now.  There is gluten in there somewhere, or cross-contamination enough to flair my Fibro up. I am sore and achy and feel like I got hit by a truck.  They have two locations so I thought maybe standards were slightly different,  so I'll buy sausages at the other I won't, but apparently, whatever is happening in production is happening at both places. Damnit. Time to find a new source. I'm just glad I haven't officially started my next round yet. But I am very whiney today :)

Yea, I'm just craving my routine I guess, and part of the whole point of this is to break my crappy routine.  The wine is the hardest part for me.  My favorite part of snow days is drinking wine on the couch while my husband shovels.

Dinner was ok, they had steamed asparagus and a salad and a London broil we were able to eat.  They had these delicious looking mashed potatoes that I didn't trust not to have dairy in them and a salmon in a dill cream sauce that I knew was off limits.  And the chocolate cake we had to avoid of course.  I was so hungry when I got home though, I sauteed up some compliant pork belly and spinach.

And you have every right to be whiny re: the sausages!  If this happens every time even after you're told it shouldn't be happening, it's irritating.  At least you've figured it out now and can avoid it going forward.