Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427019 times)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1700 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »

Hotstreak and ZiziPB - I totally get you as far as settling into food routine and a bit of boredom. One the one hand it is good because things are becoming a little more automatic, on the other, yeah it can get boring. Now is the time to experiment with new recipes and new cuisines and start making it fun!

I'm lucky in that I can eat the same thing over and over without getting bored.  What was good yesterday is good today, and will also be good tomorrow.  Currently in the fridge I have the following:

-  3lbs roasted Brussels sprouts (halved & stirred with olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne powder, 90 minutes at 350)
 -  1lbs green beans to sauté tonight (coconut oil, ghee, salt, light garlic)
 -  2lbs zucchini to roast tonight (brushed olive oil, salt, 120 minutes at 275)
 -  Pulp of 5 acorn squash, mashed (oven roasted then added coconut oil, salt, cinnamon)
 -  Stir fry kale & collars with onion, bacon, I forget what I seasoned it with
 -  Salad fixings for 2-3 meals (lettuce, broccoli, radish, peppers, tomato, avocado, onion, olives)
 -  1 serving leftover chicken soup (last of a 10qt batch, still tastes amazing!)
 -  1.5lbs hamburger meat to cook tonight, seasoning TBD
 -  1lb tenderloin to cook tonight, seasoning TBD
 -  1/2 lb leftover chicken meat
 -  2dozen eggs

For Thanksgiving: I have some Cornish game hens I will be thawing to cook later this week, as well as celery, onion, & mushroom to make stuffing with.  Leftovers from early in the week will easily carry over and fill out the meal.  I may boil some cranberries to make a tart sauce, and roast an apple or two for desert, but that's not finalized yet.  I don't have family in the area so I spend the holiday alone, or casually with friends.  There's very little pressure to eat foods I'm not comfortable with, and if I go somewhere I won't be the only person not drinking.

Anyone in the USA making plans to avoid non-compliant foods over the Thanksgiving holiday?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1701 on: November 21, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
Hotstreak, I'm in the same situation as you are - spending Thanksgiving alone or with friends.  So I'm not concerned about food because I will either make it myself or just have some turkey and compliant sides at my friends' (she always has options that work well on Whole 30).  I don't drink alcohol anyway, so that's not an issue.  And I'm comfortable skipping desert or having a few dried figs.

As to the food boredom, I'm fine eating the same thing for days on end but after 3 weeks I am kind of bored with eggs for breakfast every day.  I've had them with vegetables, sausage, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, etc. but they are still eggs!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1702 on: November 21, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
Ahh I can understand that.  I don't always eat breakfast, but when I used to I would only eat eggs 4-5 days/week.  The other days I would re-heat some meat, pot roast, open a can of fish, etc., to mix things up.  Tuna w/ hot sauce worked well and was easy.

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #1703 on: November 21, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
I love soup for breakfast!  Or Nomnom Paleo's Spicy Tuna cakes.  Or smoked trout.  Sometimes avocado and cooked chicken, sometimes mushrooms fried in ghee with some spring onions (scallions?). 

daizy744

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1704 on: November 21, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »
On day 5 today. Had nausea one other morning and it went away immediately after eating something.  Interesting how it's a result of eating less carbs. No cravings or thoughts of quitting so far. I even made bread today for rest of family and had no temptation to eat some.

I made some meatballs and these cabbage rolls on the weekend and they were delicious. The sauce was awesome! http://www.afamilyfeast.com/whole30-stuffed-cabbage/. The recipe was quite involved, but it turned out fabulous and made 13 rolls, so froze some leftovers.

There are so many recipes out there to try. For someone who enjoys cooking, I'm able to learn some new recipes. And the whole family gets to eat healthier (even though they're not cutting anything out).

What a great supporting community! I plan to go back through the thread to pick up recipes, etc.

I get bored of eating the same thing each day. :-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1705 on: November 22, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
I appreciate everyone's feedback on the breakfast foods but there are only certain foods that I find palatable early in the morning :-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1706 on: November 25, 2016, 04:44:34 AM »
Happy Black Friday everyone!  I'm going hiking instead of shopping which has become somewhat of a tradition for me. 

Day 26 today.  I'm starting to think about what to do next after I get to 30 days.  Cutting out all sugar has been great and I would love to continue it.  So I'm thinking about doing a slightly expanded version of Whole 30 until Christmas.  The only things I would like to incorporate are dairy (mainly milk so that I can drink coffee again, and hard cheese) and possibly oatmeal.  Is anyone game for continuing?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1707 on: November 25, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
Happy Black Friday everyone!  I'm going hiking instead of shopping which has become somewhat of a tradition for me. 

Day 26 today.  I'm starting to think about what to do next after I get to 30 days.  Cutting out all sugar has been great and I would love to continue it.  So I'm thinking about doing a slightly expanded version of Whole 30 until Christmas.  The only things I would like to incorporate are dairy (mainly milk so that I can drink coffee again, and hard cheese) and possibly oatmeal.  Is anyone game for continuing?

Enjoy your hike! As far as reintro, during reintro except for the food you are reintroducing, you are basically eating whole 30 anyways. And you might want to experiment with different types of the same food  - so the whole process can take quite a while. But if you want any treats around Christmas I would definitely reintro what you may want separately first.

Fun times - Last year (after reintroducing both sugar and milk) I decided to have a TINY glass of eggnog on Christmas.  I was violently, violently ill within about 15 minutes. There was something else in it, maybe the thickeners or just the combination my body wanted out of my system RIGHT NOW. I've had food poisoning a few times but nothing has compared to that.

When I'm not actively doing whole 30 my regular routine is pretty similar except I don't worry about trace amounts of sugar, I incorporate the occasional non-gluten grain (buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, quinoa, cornmeal) occasional beans.  Dairy very very rarely and only if I am going to super enjoy it and are okay with the consequences. Most of the time I am eating the same it just adds a bit of variety and flexibility, especially when going out.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1708 on: November 25, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
Thanks swick.  I don't really have any issues with dairy and I miss coffee with milk, so that's why I would like it back.  Last time I didn't do any proper re-intro and I was back to the old eating patterns within a few days.  This time, I am trying to make a lasting change in my sugar consumption - if you remember I am doing the Whole 30 to address sugar, as I don't really have any digestive issues.  So I'm hoping that if keep sugar and wheat out for another few weeks that may finally reset my system.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1709 on: November 28, 2016, 09:32:01 AM »
Day 29 - I ate more than I should have over the holiday weekend but stuck with the program.  I have my meals planned and prepped for the rest of the week.  Planning to have coffee with milk on Wednesday which will be the first day of my transition.  But otherwise sticking to Whole 30 for now.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1710 on: November 28, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
congrast zizipb!

Im about 85% compliant. trying to hang in there. :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1711 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:48 AM »
Thank you, N! 

Day 30 today.  I'm feeling really well.  I lost 7.5 lbs and my pants and bras fit so much better now.  Ideally, I would like to lose another 8-10 lbs, but I'd be perfectly fine with another 5 and I'm OK taking it slowly.  The important part for me is to continue with no sugar.  So I'm sticking around on this thread :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1712 on: November 29, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »
Thank you, N! 

Day 30 today.  I'm feeling really well.  I lost 7.5 lbs and my pants and bras fit so much better now.  Ideally, I would like to lose another 8-10 lbs, but I'd be perfectly fine with another 5 and I'm OK taking it slowly.  The important part for me is to continue with no sugar.  So I'm sticking around on this thread :-)

WAHOO WAY TO GO ON REACHING DAY 30!!

Are you planning on reintroducing things other than sugar? What is your game plan?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
Thank you, N! 

WAHOO WAY TO GO ON REACHING DAY 30!!

Are you planning on reintroducing things other than sugar? What is your game plan?
Thank you, swick!  I am planning to reintroduce dairy (milk for my coffee and hard cheese only) and possibly oatmeal for some of my breakfasts until Christmas.  After that I will reassess again.

The second Whole 30 went really well for me and was much easier to manage.  When I did the first one back in February I didn't feel well - it was unrelated to the Whole 30, I was just sick with a bad cold for a good part of it and also suffered from a couple of migraines.  This time I'm definitely experiencing the benefits of it, I feel that my energy level is up and I'm feeling more alert. 

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: November 29, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »
For me, too, sugar must be avoided. And flour.

NSV: bras fit much better, however, now my jeans and underwear are saggy. LOL. Cant afford clothes until after the new year, so will muddle through :)

Also, really key, for me to lose weight is getting enough sleep. Im tracking my sleep, weight and steps on my fitbit and when I stop getting 8 hrs per night, my weight loss stalls.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: November 29, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
Thank you, N! 

Great work, congratulations on the clothes fitting better!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1716 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
Today is day 29 for me & going well.  I had a friendly neighbor offer me leftovers, but I couldn't eat any of it because of the way they cook.  My personal Thanksgiving meal was delicious and followed W30 rules.  Only issue was cranberry sauce, since I couldn't use sugar, and don't keep any fruit juices in the house.  I boiled the cranberries in water & mashed them, which resulted in a wonderful texture and extremely tart flavor.  It's worked well as a balance against my turkey seasoning though, so no complaints.

I want to get a good weight for post-W30.  My usual methodology is to weigh Tu/Wed/Thu & average to eliminate any daily weight changes, so I started weighing myself today.  On Thursday I will have my final weight to report.  Not expecting more than a few lb change.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1717 on: November 30, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
For me, too, sugar must be avoided. And flour.

I've been consciously avoiding both of these (and caffiene) for the past month in a "whole30 inspired" way which has been good.

I feel a lot better overall, too.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1718 on: November 30, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »
2 cups of coffee this morning was quite a shock to the system...  Feeling shaky from too much caffeine :-(

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1719 on: November 30, 2016, 07:50:18 AM »
WAY TO GO ON REACHING DAY 30, HOTSTREAK!!!!

What is your plan for reintro? How are you feeling overall?

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1720 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
WAY TO GO ON REACHING DAY 30, HOTSTREAK!!!!

What is your plan for reintro? How are you feeling overall?

Thanks!

I've been following a pretty solid paleo/primal style diet for years, and intend to continue with it.  I will start with dairy: fermented kefir, then cheeses, then whey protein isolate, over a two week period.  Dairy is what I'm most interested in testing, since my usage crept up quite a bit prior to W30.  I'll have alcohol next time it's convenient.  Things like honey in tea, occasional homemade GF baked goods, "paleo pancakes", etc., will appear at some point, but I don't have a formal reintro strategy since there are no ingredients in those foods that I'm worried about.

I sometimes consume corn, rice, or soy products, so I'm sure those will appear in my diet over the next month or so.  Since they were already an occasional food I don't expect eating them to reveal anything new.  I'm a rare gluten consumer & know how that effects me.  I will often go months between eating it.  I'm okay with a meal or two, but if I eat it for a few days in a row I really notice.  I won't consider doing a formal gluten reintro since I have no desire to go back to regular consumption.

Once my final weigh-in occurs tomorrow morning, I will have more to say, but as of now it looks like my weight is 3-4lbs lower (probably 4-5lbs fat loss) and overall I feel fine.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1721 on: December 05, 2016, 03:09:46 AM »
Just checking in after a few days of my re-intro.  Things are going well.  I've added milk (for my coffee in the mornings), occasional cheese and oatmeal.  Feeling fine and lost another pound.  Yay!  Not planning to add anything else for now.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1722 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
Figured I would check in again since its been awhile. Hard to believe its been over a year (Oct 2015 is when I started making the adjustments) since I started working on my dietary changes. I have lost over 35 lbs despite only walking this summer (skipped the stairs for a season since I was getting progressively weaker instead of building strength) and am starting the stairs back up. Since my aborted attempt at a whole 30 (one of those who lasted only 2 weeks) I have discovered that I can not do foods with food additives for the most part. Aka, I have to season my ground pork to make pork sausage because I can't handle what they use to make it and I make practically everything from scratch (safer on the food additives). However, I can do coconut which is one of the foods I thought was flaring my cystic acne and rosacea. Both have cleared in the year since. I have no apparent allergies to actual food but I do NOT do well with simple carbohydrates of any kind. The longer the carb takes to be digested, the better I do with it. Fermented foods and homemade broths have done wonders for gut health.

I am debating doing a Whole 30 mainly to fully test the various food groups now that I have eliminated the majority of food additives. But I am the type that all or nothing tends to backfire so I would definitely have to consider if the advantages were worth the backlash.  Will probably follow this thread for awhile. I can at least offer compliant recipes I love.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1723 on: December 06, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
Hi Caoineag, great to see you and find out how you have been doing!

Any recipes you would like to share would be awesome!

Thanks for the check in and update Zizi!

I have some friends who have been getting more amazing results, and it is so awesome to see :) I think quite a few people are gearing up for January. Anyone planning on starting/continuing or up for another round?

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1724 on: December 08, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
I am definitely doing another 30 starting Jan 1. until then Im going to try to make the best choices I can.
I just got back from a 3 day vacation and I was not compliant and I feel awful. I have heartburn and digestive issues and its not good at all. ugh. Im sipping bone broth right now trying to feel better.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1725 on: December 09, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
I am definitely doing another 30 starting Jan 1. until then Im going to try to make the best choices I can.
I just got back from a 3 day vacation and I was not compliant and I feel awful. I have heartburn and digestive issues and its not good at all. ugh. Im sipping bone broth right now trying to feel better.

Aww, N, sorry you are feeling like crap!

I have allowed a little sugar to sneak in, just a bit of honey and maple...but...I have been tutoring a Syrian Refugee family. That comes with accepting offers of tea. Sweet tea. Tea that is so sweet the viscosity of the liquid changes. My body is HATING me.

Interesting to not that my period symptoms that virtually went away the past couple of years eating this way are back with a VENGEANCE. Oh and my face looks like I've flashed back to teenagehood :( The only change has been the additional sugar. So no more honey or maple and I have to figure out a strategy to not have to drink the tea. That will be tricky.

On a  good note, this hack to make nut milk is AMAZING!!! I used TJ's salted cashew butter...and I'll be damned it tastes like Salted Caramel Cashew milk/creamer. Good for coffee if you aren't digging the bullet proof style and sooo easy! http://www.thepretendbaker.com/easiest-cashew-milk-ever/

Pork and beef are (FINALLY) on sale this week, so planning on stocking up to make some jerky for snacks to take with us out and about over the holiday season and some Kahlua Pork. WHOOT!

How is everyone else doing?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1726 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:32 AM »
Doing well - milk in my coffee and oatmeal make a huge difference in how I'm feeling about eating this way.  I mean, I'm not feeling deprived in any way and my sugar cravings are slowly going away.  Easily resisted baked goods in the office during a holiday gathering last Friday - just had some coffee and chatted with my colleagues.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1727 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
I'm planning on starting a round of the Whole 30 on January 2nd.  Hoping it helped with some wonky blood sugar regulation issues and helps me lose some weight too!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1728 on: December 11, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »
Doing well - milk in my coffee and oatmeal make a huge difference in how I'm feeling about eating this way.  I mean, I'm not feeling deprived in any way and my sugar cravings are slowly going away.  Easily resisted baked goods in the office during a holiday gathering last Friday - just had some coffee and chatted with my colleagues.

Goodstuff! And totally makes sense. When I'm not actively doing a whole 30, my modified "after" way of eating includes the occasional buckwheat, oats, lentil and chickpeas,organic corn, rice (usually if I'm eating out) It just adds a little bit of variety that makes eating this way long term doable. Oh And I incorporate those things that are considered SWYPO but still made with compliant ingredients.  I'd say I still eat 80-90% whole 30 regularly.

WELCOME MEJG!

Have you done whole 30 before? Let us know what you are doing to plan for this round and how we can support you!

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1729 on: December 11, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
Thanks Swick!

This will be my first round! A good friend recently did her first round and she sent me the new book as an early Christmas present. I'm reading it now and getting a general plan together. One of my kids is allergic to eggs, and my husband is eating (mostly) a ketogenic diet. Actually a lot of my friends have gone keto are are seeing amazing results- but when I tried to jump on the bandwagon there I was hitting some pretty serious hypoglycemic episodes.  I need to figure out how I can eat best for my body and this seems like a pretty good option for that!

I'm trying to gather meal ideas that are either quick or easy to prep on the weekends. If anyone has favorites let me know!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1730 on: December 12, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
I have read approximately 27 of the 35 pages of this thread.  I am 3 radiation treatments into a 15 treatment plan for breast cancer they found this past October.  I had a lumpectomy on Halloween.  I'll be finished with everything on December 29, and I've been thinking I should give a Whole30 a try to get into a better eating plan.

I have some things going for and against me.  I'm a recovering anorexic.  I have food issues.  I live in a 23' RV that has an extremely small freezer and a not large fridge.  I have little counter space to prepare food.  My primary oven doesn't work.  I do have a small toaster oven and an Instant Pot.  So, this will be a challenge.

I already drink my coffee black.  I drink very little alcohol.  I'm to avoid sugar because of the cancer.  The rest of my eating habits are not good.  I eat very few vegetables and my meat tends to be a Jr. Cheeseburger from Wendy's.  I'm making a big step up this week by getting a roasted chicken from Walmart, and some prepared potato salad and a can of pork and beans.  I read the ingredients on those, and the salad has turmeric, which I'm not supposed to have while having radiation, and the pork and beans has HF C.  What I know about Whole30 is from my past 2 days of binge reading this thread. 

I hope to begin on January 1.  I'll eat up the non-compliant foods I have in the meantime while I start to eliminate sugar.  This should be an interesting ride.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1731 on: December 12, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
Thanks Swick!

This will be my first round! A good friend recently did her first round and she sent me the new book as an early Christmas present. I'm reading it now and getting a general plan together. One of my kids is allergic to eggs, and my husband is eating (mostly) a ketogenic diet. Actually a lot of my friends have gone keto are are seeing amazing results- but when I tried to jump on the bandwagon there I was hitting some pretty serious hypoglycemic episodes.  I need to figure out how I can eat best for my body and this seems like a pretty good option for that!

I'm trying to gather meal ideas that are either quick or easy to prep on the weekends. If anyone has favorites let me know!

Keto and Whole 30 have some similarities, many people who start on Whole 30 shift to a keto, some people do better with a little bit of carb. I tried doing Keto without Dairy (since I found on whole 30 I have issues with it) and haven't had much luck sticking with it after having years of blood sugar issues.  Whole 30 is great for testing things out and seeing where you are at.

This time of year, I just make sure I roast a ton of veggies on the weekends, pans of Brussel sprouts, squash, sweet potatoes, beets - basically I think any veggie tastes good roasted :) It does help to have them in the fridge to meal plan throughout the week. Also, doing a big piece of meat - Kahlua pork, a side of salmon, a roast, Roasted chicken - all good building blocks.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1732 on: December 12, 2016, 08:52:56 PM »
I have read approximately 27 of the 35 pages of this thread.  I am 3 radiation treatments into a 15 treatment plan for breast cancer they found this past October.  I had a lumpectomy on Halloween.  I'll be finished with everything on December 29, and I've been thinking I should give a Whole30 a try to get into a better eating plan.

I have some things going for and against me.  I'm a recovering anorexic.  I have food issues.  I live in a 23' RV that has an extremely small freezer and a not large fridge.  I have little counter space to prepare food.  My primary oven doesn't work.  I do have a small toaster oven and an Instant Pot.  So, this will be a challenge.

I already drink my coffee black.  I drink very little alcohol.  I'm to avoid sugar because of the cancer.  The rest of my eating habits are not good.  I eat very few vegetables and my meat tends to be a Jr. Cheeseburger from Wendy's.  I'm making a big step up this week by getting a roasted chicken from Walmart, and some prepared potato salad and a can of pork and beans.  I read the ingredients on those, and the salad has turmeric, which I'm not supposed to have while having radiation, and the pork and beans has HF C.  What I know about Whole30 is from my past 2 days of binge reading this thread. 

I hope to begin on January 1.  I'll eat up the non-compliant foods I have in the meantime while I start to eliminate sugar.  This should be an interesting ride.

ShadowMoss - You have had some big health challenges and more ahead. I do think proper nutrition is super important in cancer recovery (staying away from sugar and simple carbs is so, so key) but I'm really hesitant to suggest you do a Whole 30 by yourself. Do you have an in-person support network, for whole30, but most importantly just in general, right now?

Between your medical past, your living set-up, looks like you don't have too much experience cooking? You have some major challenges. Do you have time to be cooking from scratch and doing all the prep work that is necessary for doing a Whole 30?

I don't mean to discourage you, but you will have to do so much more planning and you need to really make sure you have support. I'm concerned about your history with anorexia and limiting food right now. Obviously, sugar, simple carbs, alcohol aren't good for you and should be avoided no matter what. But you will definitely be dealing with some appetite issues so getting good, dense nutrients are going to be super important.   If that is Smoothies, veggie juice, complaint pancakes or whatever is tempting, you should look at all the "rules" of whole 30 and only take the ones that serve you. You are doing it for very different reasons than most people.

It sounds like your relationship with food does need an overhaul, I'm just a bit concerned that a Whole 30 might be a bit too extreme for you right now? If you still want to do it or a modified version, we're here for you.

***Umm yeah this is where I state emphatically I'm not a doctor, make sure you have the proper monitoring and support network.***

And Kudos for reading through the whole thread, it is a beast. It should give you a pretty accurate picture of what whole 30 is like. I really don't mean to discourage you, I just want you to not have unrealistic expectations. Doing a Whole 30 can be a challenge, even to those who have all the advantages - but we are here to help.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1733 on: December 12, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »
I'm in between Whole30's ATM and am reading the paleo book, pictured below.  I found it's sadly ironic that the previous borrower's grocery list fell out of the pages and is staggeringly non-paleo!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
Swick:

Thanks for your concerns.  After December 29 I'm hoping most of my medical concerns will be behind me.  Luckily my cancer was slow growing and contained.  It was removed on Halloween.  The radiation is just to make sure.  My reason for wanting to do a Whole30 is some lingering physical issues that haven't been resolved in the round of medical tests and such.  My muscles ache, and I have little energy.  I'm hoping that monitoring my food intake will find what causes both.  I turn 62 on the December 23.  I've had times when I cooked a lot, and I own pretty much every kitchen gadget made (I currently have 2 storage units...).  I've just been in a bad slide regarding my eating habits for the past couple of years.

My best friend is gluten free and was very into the bullet proof plan for awhile, still drinks her coffee that way.  My boyfriend is a healthy food nut and is always on me to eat better.  He has a garden and cooks well for me when I'm there.  The only things that I will have to eliminate there is cheese and bread.  Actually, watching him cook is partly what has me ready to try this.  I will have plenty of cheering squad/face punches in real life once I tell them what I'm doing.

I am picking this plan mostly because with my food issues it is easy to decide that most stuff shouldn't be eaten, and I end up living on peanut butter sandwiches (on cheap bread) and coffee.  I'm actually adding in foods with Whole30.  I like the list of what I should have, I can handle the black and white of it.  Afterwards I hope to add back in lentils and beans and yogurt.  I live in the land of cheap food (Phoenix) and have great vegetable markets close by.  I don't tend to have cravings, and will be interested in seeing how totally stopping sugar will affect me.

The short of it is that I need to change my eating habits.  This looks like a good way to start.  If I can't do this in my current setup I need to change the setup to make it work.  Having a place to talk it out will help a lot.

Can I still play?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1735 on: December 13, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »

Can I still play?
Of Course! This post has put my mind at ease. I just want to make sure you do have lots of support, we all need it :)

Will respond more, when I have a chance to sit down. I think this could be very good for you!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #1736 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
Here we go, just finished day 2 of my second whole30.  My first was 5 years ago.  Can't wait for all those positive changes I experienced the first time: no inflammation, no acne, awesome buzzy energy, glowing complexion, and bubbly happiness.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1737 on: December 13, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
you guys. all my clothes are too loose! hardly anything fits right now!
Whole 30 problems.

NSV: my thick itchy dandruff has cleared up and disappeared. Ive had this for YEARS.

Ooh, I had a couple pieces of my kids broccoli that had Earth Balance on it. BIG MISTAKE. seriously uncomfortable reaction all the next day. Will not be ingesting that again.

Im still having some cravings and doing my best to thwart them with drinking water, eating fats along with the template at meal times, and good self talk :)

Ill be starting R2 on Jan 2 and until then, trying to be compliant as much as I can.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1738 on: December 14, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
way to go N!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1739 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
Awesome to hear, N!

I hear you about the clothes. I have refused to buy anything new at this point, since clothes are lasting me less than a month before they get too big, I'll buy some new things when it all starts to even out.

So exciting about your dandruff clearing up! I imagine the healthy oils have helped contribute to that :) Also could be an allergy side effect as well. So cool to hear your progress!

Sucks about the Earth Balance, but I'm not horribly surprised, it's still kinda frankin' food.

Welcome, LadyStache!

Shadowmoss - It sounds like the Whole 30 would be good for you. A couple of suggestions getting started. Planning is going to be KEY for you. Definitely pick our collective brains to help solve any issues you might have with ingredients/kitchen setup/motivation etc!

Also, if you have been eating lots of fast food/really carb heavy stuff for a while, you are going to find the first week or so of whole 30 absolute hell as your body detoxes and your brain keeps wanting the simple fast sugar stuff. Even if you are staying away from sugar, simple carbs break down in a similar way.

My suggestion would be to take Dec and try to ease into the whole 30 way of eating. Then it won't be as big a shock to your system. I know that is hard to do with the holidays or "season of Insanity" here - but anything you can do to limit it now will help. Also, you'll need a plan of easy grab and reheat foods for the first week when you are feeling like shit and won't want to cook. Is there a chance you could plan on spending the first week with your BF or someone who can be around to support you?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1740 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
I am eating up my non-compliant foods, and putting a moratorium on fast food.  My friend of the Bullet Proof Coffee laughed and told me to just toss out the food, it isn't good for me.  I will probably chart a path down the middle.  As I finish off the bread (one English muffin left) I won't buy more.  Same with peanut butter, about enough left for the one English muffin.

I am not participating in the Season of Insanity.  I'm unemployed/retired (haven't decided if I'll look for another job yet or not), it is just Mom and I and she is 75 miles away, I have no TV, so I have no seasonal excuse to go totally nuts.  So far the first issue I may have is that I'm to take 3,000 MCG/day of B12 per doctor's orders to correct a deficiency, and what I have now has soy lecithin in it.  I'll start reading labels on what is available as I'm taking OTC B12.  I've heard good things on here about the stuff from Costco, so I'll be renewing my membership there.  My favorite tomato sauce from Costco has cane sugar in it, so it will go into the off-limits pile at least for the duration.  I still have a case of it in storage.  sigh.  May give that away.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #1741 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:20 AM »
Last night we had no readily available dinner food;we were gone over the weekend and had left overs from our visit Monday night. After a long day running to different appointments and being the the car a LOT, and taking a munchkin to piano lessons the last thing I wanted to do was cook.  But, instead of ordering take out I packed all three little kids in the car- hit up Big Y and bought all compliant food -except for two trays of sushi....  Stocked up the house for the week and then we came home and made burgers, green beans, and roasted sweet potatoes (and sushi) for dinner.  Not perfect :) but my official start date is 1/2/17- AND it was cheaper and better for us that Chinese take out.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1742 on: December 14, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »
So "feeling like shit for the first week" is normal?  Day 3 here, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.  That, and my fingers are swollen as if I had binged on flour tortillas....detox symptoms?

Also creaky cracky neck?  Is this whole30 related or am I just getting sick?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1743 on: December 14, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »
I am eating up my non-compliant foods, and putting a moratorium on fast food.  My friend of the Bullet Proof Coffee laughed and told me to just toss out the food, it isn't good for me.  I will probably chart a path down the middle. 

I really struggled with this, especially after whole 30 when I realized that all my awesome hard to find ingredients were not in-line with how I needed to eat. Every day I was in the kitchen, shifting stuff around, feeling guilty, feeling tempted. Then I finally got to the point where I just had to let it all go. I hate wasting food. I gave away what I could but a lot of it ended up in the bin. The mental and physical and emotional space it cleared up was AMAZING. So I know you have to process everything in your own way - but I'm with your friend :)

MEJG - That sounds like a win in my books!

So "feeling like shit for the first week" is normal?  Day 3 here, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.  That, and my fingers are swollen as if I had binged on flour tortillas....detox symptoms?

Also creaky cracky neck?  Is this whole30 related or am I just getting sick?

While you might be getting sick, the don't call it the "Carb Flu" for nothing, and Day 3 is ususally when it kicks in. The first couple of days, yeah it's easy...then it's like your body rebels and hates you. Definitely practice self-care and take it easy. It will get better.

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1744 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
Hi All!

I'm not new to Whole 30, but I've also never successfully completed one before.. My carb and sugar intake has been particularly out of control lately, so I have my sights set on successfully completing a Whole 30 come January. In the meantime, I'm going to try to tone down the unhealthy eating (sugar, carbs, fast/processed food) so I don't have to suffer as much during initial Whole 30 detox.

Looking forward to having some support and making it to Day 30!

Allison

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1745 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi All!

I'm not new to Whole 30, but I've also never successfully completed one before.. My carb and sugar intake has been particularly out of control lately, so I have my sights set on successfully completing a Whole 30 come January. In the meantime, I'm going to try to tone down the unhealthy eating (sugar, carbs, fast/processed food) so I don't have to suffer as much during initial Whole 30 detox.

Looking forward to having some support and making it to Day 30!

Allison

Welcome, Allison!

Limiting as much as you can before hand will certainly help, as will taking the time to have a good plan in place! Use us as a support network!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1746 on: December 16, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Day 5!  I feel great!  My skin is clearing up.  Late last night I still had energy to clean up after my baby.  Low-carb flu or actual sickness, whatever it was, is gone.  If it was an actual pre-cold, then this nutrient-dense diet must have sent it packing!  :)  :) :)

lol, I'm really excited.

I can also tell that I'm going to make it this time.  After my first whole30 I tried to do a repeat several times and never could!  Not even a whole7!

But this time feels different  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: December 17, 2016, 02:02:33 AM »
I ate a lot some of my homemade granola yesterday and felt sleepy/foggy for hours. So remarkable how far I've come from a year and a bit ago when I first started my Whole30 journey. I never would have noticed the food/feelings connection.

Still down 50 lb but another 40 to go. I'll be joining in on the January Whole30 and am intrigued by your Mastermind group, Swick! I've never heard of that before!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1748 on: December 17, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
I could do a January Whole30 and the group intrigues me, though I'm curious what the "in person" aspect is...

I've been doing a "Whole30 plus peanuts/dairy" like setup recently and while I probably will keep doing that indefinitely. And by doing, I mean actually doing, not sort of doing.

I ate a lot some of my homemade granola yesterday and felt sleepy/foggy for hours. So remarkable how far I've come from a year and a bit ago when I first started my Whole30 journey. I never would have noticed the food/feelings connection.

I also am surprised how much eating sugary things affects me. It's pretty obvious to me my stomach/GI issues are highly correlated with starchy food, deserts,  and/or overeating (normally by eating lots of not-really-Whole30-complaint-food).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1749 on: December 18, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
I am in for January... sort of.  I'm heading to DC to work for 55 days starting on January 9th, and have been mulling over what I'll be eating while I'm there.  I want to shed about 10# before next spring when I'll hopefully be starting to ride my horse regularly.

The plan I am settling in on is to maintain a Whole30 household while I'm there.  I think this will be somewhat Mustachian as well, as it will limit the number of ingredients I purchase and I'll be less likely to have leftover things when I leave. It will actually be kind of nice to start with an empty kitchen and only buy compliant ingredients. This fits in with my plan to eat out only one day a week.  So essentially, I'll be W30 6 days a week, and get one day off so I can enjoy some of the restaurants in the city and take full advantage of the tourist opportunities on the weekends.  I'll do a soft start over the next couple weeks, and my first official day will be around January 12, since I travel all day on the 9th, and report to work the morning of the 10th, and it will take a few days to get groceries sorted and all that.  DH is visiting in February, and I might have some other visitors as well, so those will be days off, but otherwise I plan to stick with this until I come home in March.