Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427048 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1650 on: November 10, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
Soo...I tried "Egg Coffee" http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/

My first thought was it was surprisingly non-eggy and rather creamy. I could get into this.  Upon further drinking, I realized I'm the kinda person who will sip a coffee over a rather long-ish period. This coffee doesn't taste as good as it cools. It definitely becomes more eggier as an aftertaste. Eggy isn't exactly the right word - It's something specific in the egg that I don't have a word for.

So, would I make it again? If I was in a rush in the morning and wanted both breakfast and coffee and could only choose one, and I was going to drink it right away - sure! Luckily that is not my life very often :) Apparently, it is based on a Vietnamese egg coffee recipe, and there is also a Swedish version. I will be doing some more research just for fun!

How is everyone doing today?

Hey...wait....CONGRATS KETCHUP AND GF ON 30 DAYS OF AIP!!! WHOOHOO!!!
Awesome job! What are your next steps?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1651 on: November 10, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Day 11 for me today and I'm feeling good.  My belly is flatter and I feel lighter overall.  I am not too crazy about how my food tastes this week (the lettuce I bought for my lunch salads is watery and the tomatoes are past their prime) but I'm sticking to it.  I did cave to dried figs last night as an evening snack but they are Whole 30 compliant.  So overall, I'm happy with how it's going.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1652 on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:11 AM »
I just tried "egg coffee" too.  I was at work & didn't want to use only the yolks, so I did the whole egg recipe (minus the sugar).  It was pretty good;  I feel alert and not hungry (although definitely not a "full" feeling either).  I used a fork in my coffee mug to scramble the eggs, which wasn't perfect.  I also used fresh coffee from the work machine which is super hot.  Because of this I had a little bit of cooked egg floating around in the bottom like egg drop soup, which was fine to drink.  Unfortunately I also had a bit of unscrambled egg white that didn't cook at all, which was at the bottom of the mug.  I think next time I would do just the yolks, and make it at home where I have a bowl and a proper whisk.

Horsepoor - thanks for the tip on pasteurization! 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1653 on: November 10, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Hey...wait....CONGRATS KETCHUP AND GF ON 30 DAYS OF AIP!!! WHOOHOO!!!
Awesome job! What are your next steps?
Thanks!  We're looking to do a pretty slow, structured reintro and see how things go from there, probably settling back out to plain-jane Primal if all goes well.  Today is egg yolks, and next up a few days later is fruit-based spices (namely black pepper).  It all stays W30 compliant until dairy starts showing back up.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:44:54 AM by ketchup »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1654 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
If I wasn't in the middle of a whole30, I definitely would have been scarfing down cookie dough yesterday when I made shortbread. When am I going to be able to fly solo and not be tempted by crap?! Grrrrrr

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1655 on: November 10, 2016, 10:09:31 AM »
That is an awesome plan, Ketchup! Hope you keep us posted with the results!

1967mama, can you dig a little deeper into why you were so tempted?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #1656 on: November 10, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
Tried the egg coffee!  Well actually, I forgot until after I had already had my two cups of coffee, and I was hungry and rushed and remembered.  So I made egg chamomile tea!  mmm.  Definitely good!  Can't wait to try it tomorrow with coffee. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1657 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
It's been a tough week and I have been more emotional about what is going on than I expected.   I ended up snacking too much for a couple of evenings in a row (nuts and dried fruit).  So I need a reset this weekend and next week.  I am also reaching a point of being sick and tired of eating meat - I eat very little meat in my normal diet, so the amount of meat I consume on Whole 30 is overwhelming after a couple of weeks.

Need to figure out what I'm going to cook over the weekend and come up with a shopping list.  Anyone making anything exciting or different?  I'd love some suggestions.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1658 on: November 11, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
ZiziPB, I'm sorry you have had such a tough week. I think we all have to give ourselves a little bit of grace and understanding as the shit storm rages.

I know people (myself included) tend to go more protein when they start doing whole 30, but the point isn't really to significantly up your protein intake.

I have found that my protein levels have fallen back to just slightly higher than they use to be, and we didn't eat a huge amount before. Usually, it was more of a "flavoring"

One thing I have found very useful is go back to the way we were eating before, just with more veggies and fruit where there would have been grains. We do lots of stews, curries, soups, salads...things where the meat is more of an accent. So still doing all of that stuff but having it over caulirice, zoodles, specialized veggies or putting more veggies into the dishes themselves.

For inspiration, there are lots of Asian countries that tend to use meat the same way. Thai curries are simple and fast if you get a curry paste, watch ingredients but most are compliant. They use coconut milk as a base. Most Indian curries are great with coconut milk subbed in for the dairy. Or cashew cream.

It might be an idea to also just look at your favorite recipes and see how you can reduce the amount of meat and stretch it with a few more veggies.

Having a wide variety of veggies prepped and ready to go also makes a huge difference. Most of my weekend cooking that I am trying to get into the habit of is just getting veggies prepped. I almost always have some roasted sweet potatoes and squash in the fridge.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1659 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Thanks swick.  I think I miss beans and lentils the most :-)  I'm used to going meatless for a lot of my meals, so even stretching the meat with lots of veggies (which is a great suggestion and what I try to do), I still feel like I'm eating a lot of meat because pretty much every meal is meat-flavored.

I'm going to make the Greek chicken with cauliflower and olives that someone posted earlier this week.  I still have half of a spaghetti squash that will go nicely with it (I hope!). 

Any ideas for lunch or dinner dishes based on chicken apple sausage?  I got a 3-pack of it at Costco last weekend and I still have 2 of the packages left.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1660 on: November 11, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »

Any ideas for lunch or dinner dishes based on chicken apple sausage?  I got a 3-pack of it at Costco last weekend and I still have 2 of the packages left.

Cook em, take em out of the pan add a bunch of Cabbage to stirfry. Simple easy yum (if you like cabbage)

I made a roasted cauliflower, leek, kale, potato soup this week. Chopped up Apple sausage in something like that would be delish! Also would be good along side a ratatouille. Or added to a frittata?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1661 on: November 11, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Oooh, a ratatouille sounds really good!  I can definitely make that :-)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1662 on: November 11, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
Wow. I kinda went off the rails today. Not insane, but not making optimal choices.
But Im regrouping and planning to drink a ton of water tonight.
THis week WAS rough. I choose to move forward making better decisions about eating and staying healthy. that is my mantra.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1663 on: November 13, 2016, 04:29:02 AM »
ZiziPB, I'm sorry you have had such a tough week. I think we all have to give ourselves a little bit of grace and understanding as the shit storm rages.

I know people (myself included) tend to go more protein when they start doing whole 30, but the point isn't really to significantly up your protein intake.

I have found that my protein levels have fallen back to just slightly higher than they use to be, and we didn't eat a huge amount before. Usually, it was more of a "flavoring"
I just wanted to say thank you again, swick.  I had a lightbulb moment yesterday when I realized that I CAN have vegetarian dishes on Whole 30 and don't need to worry about including protein (meat) in every meal :-)
I made a big pot of ratatouille yesterday (Martha Stewart recipe, very good!) and instead of worrying about protein, I made some garlic smashed potatoes to go with it. It was delicious and I was so happy to have a vegan meal for a change!  So from now on, I'm planning to incorporate some vegan dishes regularly.  This makes me excited about the rest of the month!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1664 on: November 13, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Awesome to hear, ZiziPB, and you are welcome :)

I can't remember where I came a cross it, actually I think it was when I was looking up homemade dog food - but the idea of getting the exact same balance of food at every meal is a modern invention (with fortified foods and supplements and such) 

Usually eating a variety of foods over time is better and you will still get the nutrients you need. Eating seasonally, having more protein at one meal and more of something else at another. The suggested plan for whole 30 meals is great, especially if you don't  know how to eat but everyone is different.

Oh these look super yummy:http://detoxinista.com/2015/09/vegan-pesto-stuffed-mushrooms/

I actually rely on a lot of vegetarian dishes (which I might slip a bit of meat into, if I am inclined) Becuase this is really about looking at food in a new way and most of the time the interesting veggie dishes with the best ways to learn how to prep them are Vegetarian based dishes. Salad can get a little boring ;)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1665 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
Joining!

I've been looking into doing the whole30 for a while and have finally settled on my time frame.  Planning on starting the week after Christmas. (I need the time to get rid of all the cheese in my fridge.)

I have two issues I'm hoping to find causes for... consistent indigestion and fibro-like aches and pains (never actually diagnosed, but all signs point to).

Biggest challenges... eating out, which a good mustachian shouldn't be doing as much as I do anyway.  My accountability friend and I have been talking about a no or limited restaurant thing as our next challenge.  We're currently doing no soda until year's end.  Hopefully, he'll do the no restaurant thing while I'm doing the whole 30.  It's incredibly helpful to have someone around who's trying to make the same changes you are.  There's no way I'd get him to do whole 30, but the restaurant thing is a possibility.

Also, grains.  Currently I like to cook up a pot of mixed rices and barley at the beginning of the week and use it for meals all week.  I suppose that will have to change to roasted veggies, or cauli-rice.

And finally, chai.  A good mug of hot, creamy, spicy, chai is my weakness.  I'm so close to perfecting my chai syrup recipe, and that will have to be shelved for a while so I can finish up the syrups that I have.  I may start working on a version with an alternative sweetener after the whole 30.  Date syrup maybe...

I've got a hold on one of the books at the library.  I've read most of this thread and scoured the website.  Feeling pretty good about it, and I've got some time to prep.

I'm working on a list of foods I want to have made and ready to grab when my start day rolls around...
*Canned soups (I have a ton, but a lot are bean based, and my tomato soup has sugar added to it.)
*Larabars (homemade are fantastic)
*Precut, frozen veggies in various combinations (I just dug 15 gallons of carrots from my garden, along with a ton of rutabegas, onions, potatoes, winter squashes and parsnips.  I want to have bags of parcooked veggies, ready to roast or throw in stews or whatever.)
*Nuts portioned out into serving size bags.
*Frozen quiches for quick breakfasts.
*Salad toppers portioned out in small containers (nuts/seeds, some dried fruit, chicken chunks, etc) so I can stuff a bowl with greens, grab a topper container and go. Planning on keeping homemade dressing at work.

I'll be swapping off plan foods out of my pantry with on plan foods from my canning storage.  I've got lots of jars of tomatoes, chicken, pork, unsweetened apple/pear sauce and assorted veggies that I'll get into heavy meal rotation  while the rice, pasta, sugars, beans, and whatnot will go out sight and hopefully out of mind.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: November 13, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Joining!

I have two issues I'm hoping to find causes for... consistent indigestion and fibro-like aches and pains (never actually diagnosed, but all signs point to).

And finally, chai.  A good mug of hot, creamy, spicy, chai is my weakness.  I'm so close to perfecting my chai syrup recipe, and that will have to be shelved for a while so I can finish up the syrups that I have.  I may start working on a version with an alternative sweetener after the whole 30.  Date syrup maybe...

Welcome! It looks like you have a great plan and strategies down!

I'll be very curious to see if your fibro symptoms get better. Mine are pretty much all gone, unless I accidently eat something with gluten in it.

Once you acclimate to no sugar, you may find you don't need it for your Chai. I make a Chai concentrate in the corckpot. Heated up with a splash of coconut or other nut milk and given a quick buzz with an Immersion (or other) blender provides a warm, frothy, cozy cup of Chai. The great thing about Chai is it uses a lot of those naturally sweet warming spices.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1667 on: November 14, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »
Starting Week 3 today.  I successfully managed to avoid getting any nuts or dried fruit when grocery shopping on Saturday.  The plan is not to snack in the evenings but just have a cup of herbal tea after dinner.

I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself but I did this morning and was happy to see that I lost 6 pounds so far.  Very, very happy about that.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1668 on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »
I am an "emotional eater", and I am extremely upset today.  So please don't hold me accountable for my food choices today...

I feel you.  I definitely did some stress eating last night.  Will try to channel my angst into exercise today.

Just stopping by to post this recipe that came up in my Facebook feed since it looks good and is W30 without the feta:  Greek chicken stew with cauliflower and olives.

Made this yesterday.  Not as good as I was hoping.  My advice would be to skip the cinnamon and roast your cauliflower before putting it into the stew.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1669 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
AIP reintro beginnings continues to go well.  Added black pepper back in last night on some roasted broccoli.  When you don't have black pepper at all for over a month, it seems really damn spicy.  Very bizarre.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1670 on: November 14, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
I hit a little road bump, had some chicken at a work event late last week.  In retrospect it probably had a teriyaki marinade (sugar, wheat, soy).  I felt physically lousy the rest of that day & part of the next, but I'm back to feeling pretty good now.

Made some soup this weekend which I will be enjoying for lunch this week.  Also cooked a beef roast, following these directions (which turned out amazing btw!): http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html .

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1671 on: November 14, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
Last thursday I decided to have about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
Then Friday I decided to get pizza for lunch. Then I came home and had some more chocolate.
Then Saturday I had two tortillas with dinner. Then Sunday I was invited for brunch out, and I had two donut holes.
THen Sunday night I find myself prowling around my kitchen looking for snacks, going online and trying to find paleo dessert recipes...it was all about snacking and sweets and treats...

Now, on the good side, none of these incidents were crazy binges. At brunch I also chose the spinach fritatta with greens salad instead of say...pancakes or biscuits and gravy, which I also wanted. I AM still making a lot of good choices, but Im still very susceptible to sugar and flour based foods. When I had my tortillas, I filled them with compliant chicken and peppers and onions and skipped the cheese, sour cream etc that my family was adding to theirs. So even though I know its not about depriving oneself for ever, I am not sure I can handle "riding my bike on my own" yet. Im going to stick with the W30 rules for a while longer.

Last night I ended up roasting some nuts and coconut flakes and I had a 1/4 cup as a snack and drinking water.
This morning I had eggs and zoodles for breakfast.

Ketchup- I often find black pepper to be really spicy. I dont handle spicy heat well though.

ZiziPB-congrats on the loss!

10dollars- I also like to keep a container full of cooked spagetti squash. Makes it easy to add some to dishes or warm it up for a quick meal.

swick- have youtried those mushrooms yet? they sound good

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1672 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »
Ketchup- I often find black pepper to be really spicy. I dont handle spicy heat well though.
I'm the opposite though, and that's why it was so strange.  Black pepper to me is generally baseline seasoning (first put on salt and pepper as a default, then whatever else) and borderline bland.  I'm used to piling on tons of paprika and cayenne with half my meals, and haven't done that since starting AIP (no nightshades).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1673 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »
Happy to hear from everyone!

Ketchup - have you noticed a reaction to the pepper yet? How is your GF doing with everything?

N - It can be really tough figuring out how to live in the world and still keep feeling great. One thing to keep in mind with your simple carbs is they basically are broken down and treated like sugar in the body, so it may also be contributing to your sugar dragon. It will most likely be causing sharper rises and falls in blood sugar as well where things are usually pretty steady eating Whole 30 type of foods.

One thing my hubby really had to work on and develop was his ability to stop and think critically about each treat and ask himself "Is this the best expression of sugar/carbs/food that will impact me that I want to be eating?" 

Is it something HE really wants to eat and enjoy or is it because it is there/boredom/social pressure/mindlessness/sugar dragon stuff going on?

I think those people who don't have immediate reactions to gluten/dairy/sugar actually have a much, much harder time because every choice matters, instead of someone like me who's consequences of eating it are so not worth it, even if I do struggle from time to time:)

Hubs doesn't have the massive reactions that I do but it doesn' take very long of eating like crap either a little thing here or there or something with a lot of crap in it to start feeling bad and just not as good as he knows he can feel.

Now that your Whole 30 is done the real work starts as far as figuring out your personal ethos around food. Use us as a sounding board :)

I haven't tried the mushrooms yet, I didn't factor in how expensive basil is in Canada off season!

Hotstreak - Roast recipe looks great, thanks! I'm always a little nervous about cooking big cuts of meat because I really don't want to screw it up!

It is a bummer about the chicken and might suggest you have some sensitivities. Soy Sauce is really a double whammy and something you have to be really careful of because people don't remember it is in recipes and many people don't realize that most soy sauce has wheat in it. Glad you are feeling better!

ZiziPB - Good job on the shop and weight loss. Even though you are not supposed to weigh yourself, it is nice to have a little results boost to keep you motivated!

One thing I have been working on is making sure Hubs and I are eating at the table. I came across a suggestion that people who eat in front of screens eat more because 1. They eat faster 2. They aren't as aware of what they are eating so their  brains don't register they had food and they are full. They suggested it could be as much as a 90% difference - which includes more ate at meals and more snacking in the evening.

In a totally unscientific experiment, We had one meal while watching something on the computer and had leftovers of the same food the next night at the table. Not only did we eat quite a bit more in front of the TV, hubs was hungry and rooting around in the pantry after the first meal. The next night he had 50% less food at dinner and wasn't hungry in the evening. Interesting.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:29:33 PM by swick »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1674 on: November 14, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »
Ketchup - have you noticed a reaction to the pepper yet? How is your GF doing with everything?
No reaction from either of us with egg yolks (raw or cooked) or black pepper.  Next on the intro is egg whites in a few days, and after that comes seed-based spices (cumin, mustard, etc.).

She's still doing great.  She's getting really good at figuring out travel food with AIP in mind.  She's flying to-and-from Raleigh same-day on Wednesday for work, and then driving to Columbus this weekend also for work (with our other AIP-wielding friend with Hashimoto's tagging along).  She'll be mostly bringing snacky stuff like pork clouds and compliant sweet potato chips on the flights, but she'll be bringing a cooler full of leftovers to Columbus for her and her friend.  Travel is definitely one of the tricker parts of AIP, and something she does a lot for her line of work.  Thanksgiving at my mom's house will also be a bit awkward...

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1675 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »
Hi all!

After doing a successful Whole30 in the summer, I've been MIA from this thread (just caught up on the past few pages - everyone is doing some great work!).  I did fairly well the first, maybe 3 months after I wrapped up my Whole30, but then have just gone downhill, and this month in particular has been horrible.  Mostly, it's due to stress and not having time to think about meals.  I won't be able to get back to a more Whole30 diet for awhile, as the time commitment of Whole30 is too much for me (lots of grocery store trips for fresh veggies, but I don't have a car and it's a long walk, and working full-time while balancing two graduate classes).  I (very rarely) track my weight, but the graph now has a definitive V shape to it...

What I am going to focus on doing in the mean time:
1) Making better breakfast choices - if I shower at night, I should have time to make a non-oat based breakfast.
2) No. More. Pasta.
3) No more deserts - I ordered girl scout cookies from a girl at work... bad decision.
4) Cut back on cheese again.  Brussel sprouts with pecans and Gorgonzola is one of my favorite meals.  But it opened a slippery slope.

On the plus side, I have done VERY well with my alcohol intake.  I've had maybe one beer every two weeks for the past three+ months.  It's actually the thing I missed the least.

Will definitely do another Whole30 around February or so.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1676 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
Welcome back, Tig_!

Sorry to hear it has been a struggle for you, your schedule sounds jam-packed!

Re: Girlscout cookies - Could you give the box to someone who might need a little lift? We live near a couple of schools so we always have people trying to sell us chocolate bars and cookies and such. I usually say "I'll buy a box, but I can't eat them, so what I would like you to do is the next person you see who looks like they need some cheering up, give it to them for me!" This usually brings a flash of confusion first and then a great big smile. I've had kids come back and tell me (on their own) who they have given them to and how it cheered them up. I have also kept them for food bank donations as well. Sometimes a little something sweet goes a long way.

Breakfast - I have been making this awesome fruit cobbler: http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/# I don't do the bacon, and I leave out the sweetener. I tried the Cinnamon Banana version, and I adapted it to do a mixed frozen fruit with a lemon poppyseed cobbler. While some might consider it "Sex with Your pants on" I don't. Having another breakfast option is SUPER nice. It could probably be made the night before and reheated. I haven't done so, for me it takes about 20 min from start to finish, most of that is oven time.

Ketchup - Mad props to your GF for being able to figure out how to keep AIP with that much travel! Definitely the hardest situation to keep eating well in.

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1677 on: November 15, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
Welcome back, Tig_!

Sorry to hear it has been a struggle for you, your schedule sounds jam-packed!

Re: Girlscout cookies - Could you give the box to someone who might need a little lift? We live near a couple of schools so we always have people trying to sell us chocolate bars and cookies and such. I usually say "I'll buy a box, but I can't eat them, so what I would like you to do is the next person you see who looks like they need some cheering up, give it to them for me!" This usually brings a flash of confusion first and then a great big smile. I've had kids come back and tell me (on their own) who they have given them to and how it cheered them up. I have also kept them for food bank donations as well. Sometimes a little something sweet goes a long way.

Breakfast - I have been making this awesome fruit cobbler: http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/# I don't do the bacon, and I leave out the sweetener. I tried the Cinnamon Banana version, and I adapted it to do a mixed frozen fruit with a lemon poppyseed cobbler. While some might consider it "Sex with Your pants on" I don't. Having another breakfast option is SUPER nice. It could probably be made the night before and reheated. I haven't done so, for me it takes about 20 min from start to finish, most of that is oven time.

Thanks swick!! 

That is a super sweet idea re: cookies - I will definitely need to do that in the future.   And that cobbler looks amazing!!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1678 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »

Breakfast - I have been making this awesome fruit cobbler: http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/# I don't do the bacon, and I leave out the sweetener. I tried the Cinnamon Banana version, and I adapted it to do a mixed frozen fruit with a lemon poppyseed cobbler. While some might consider it "Sex with Your pants on" I don't.

Swick! That's a pancake!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1679 on: November 15, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
Hey everyone!  Wow, it's really great to see so many new faces on this thread!  I've been keeping up with the reading, but haven't posted in a long time. While I'm not doing a Whole 30 right now, I'm sticking with a lot of the principles, like no sugar and grains.  I'm actually experimenting a bit with keto (with some help through a medical program in my local area) and have been seeing great results.  Next year, maybe February or March, will be my next round of Whole 30 and I'm kinda excited!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten Melissa's new book "Food Freedom Forever"?  I just bought it a few weeks ago but have only had time to read the first few pages.  That's my plan over the Thanksgiving holiday.  It's really designed to be helpful with the 'now what after I'm done with Whole 30', and gets into some of the reintro (I think).  It might really be a great book for those of us that rocked the Whole30 but struggled with the after party. 

I'll post more over Thanksgiving as I'm reading, because I think it will be really helpful. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1680 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

Breakfast - I have been making this awesome fruit cobbler: http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/# I don't do the bacon, and I leave out the sweetener. I tried the Cinnamon Banana version, and I adapted it to do a mixed frozen fruit with a lemon poppyseed cobbler. While some might consider it "Sex with Your pants on" I don't.

Swick! That's a pancake!

yes, hence the "Sex With your Pants on" warning. Sweet breakfast foods wasn't something I grew up with or have a problem with, so after much (conscious) discussion between hubs and myself, we decided we don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't have done it my first time through, but at this stage in the game, I have no problem with it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1681 on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
Hey everyone!  Wow, it's really great to see so many new faces on this thread!  I've been keeping up with the reading, but haven't posted in a long time. While I'm not doing a Whole 30 right now, I'm sticking with a lot of the principles, like no sugar and grains.  I'm actually experimenting a bit with keto (with some help through a medical program in my local area) and have been seeing great results.  Next year, maybe February or March, will be my next round of Whole 30 and I'm kinda excited!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten Melissa's new book "Food Freedom Forever"?  I just bought it a few weeks ago but have only had time to read the first few pages.  That's my plan over the Thanksgiving holiday.  It's really designed to be helpful with the 'now what after I'm done with Whole 30', and gets into some of the reintro (I think).  It might really be a great book for those of us that rocked the Whole30 but struggled with the after party. 

I'll post more over Thanksgiving as I'm reading, because I think it will be really helpful.

I haven't read it yet - waiting to get it from the library (looks like I'm number 10 in line for it :-)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1682 on: November 16, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »

Swick! That's a pancake!

yes, hence the "Sex With your Pants on" warning. Sweet breakfast foods wasn't something I grew up with or have a problem with, so after much (conscious) discussion between hubs and myself, we decided we don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't have done it my first time through, but at this stage in the game, I have no problem with it.

Ah, I thought you didn't consider it to fall in the SWYPO category & I was pointing it out to remove any confusion.  Carry on!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1683 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:56 AM »
Anyone else having trouble sleeping while on Whole 30?  I noticed it last time but it's even more pronounced now.  No issue with falling asleep but I wake up at ungodly hours in the morning like 4 am and am wide awake! 

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #1684 on: November 17, 2016, 04:02:06 AM »
Posting to follow! I did my first W30 in September and LOVED it.  The weight loss (4 kilos) was awesome, but more awesome was the lack of cravings.  Less awesome was how quickly I went back to some bad habits (oh why is sugar so difficult to avoid....).  I will do another W30 next year but in the meantime I will be doing W3 or W5 just to keep myself in check.   I have a feeling this forum thread will be a great help.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1685 on: November 17, 2016, 07:14:38 AM »
Anyone else having trouble sleeping while on Whole 30?  I noticed it last time but it's even more pronounced now.  No issue with falling asleep but I wake up at ungodly hours in the morning like 4 am and am wide awake!

YES! I've had life-long insomnia and going on whole30 did help that tremendously. Now it seems like I have gotten into a habit of falling asleep much better and for longer, but I'm waking up about the same time - the difference is I am waking up refreshed and ready to go!

I think your body self-regulates and you may need less sleep - maybe less damage to undo over the course of the night when you are eating clean? You also may be sleeping lighter which means it's easier to wake up. The whole "sleep for an 8-hour block" is a relatively new invention. We use to have bi-phasic sleep for much of history.

Are you waking up tired or feel like you aren't doing well on the amount of sleep you are getting? I think that is really the key question.

Welcome, Stashing Swiss-style! The sugar dragon is a real beast, I think that is the thing that ends up derailing most of us a time or two. We're here to support you :)

How is everyone doing? Where is everyone at?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1686 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
Are you waking up tired or feel like you aren't doing well on the amount of sleep you are getting? I think that is really the key question.

No, I wake up feeling rested.  But I do get tired and sleepy and ready for bed by 9 pm...  It seems that barely 7 hours of sleep is all I need now.  Normally I would aim for 8.

daizy744

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1687 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:22 AM »
Count me in! Have been thinking about it for a while and finally started yesterday.
On day 2 today. 

Only thing I noticed is that this morning, after a cup of green tea (and before breakfast), I was hit big a wave of nausea. I ate a banana and almond butter and the feeling went away. Never experienced that before.

Thanks for the recipe ideas! Looking forward to trying different new ones!
Happy friday!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1688 on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
Count me in! Have been thinking about it for a while and finally started yesterday.
On day 2 today. 

Only thing I noticed is that this morning, after a cup of green tea (and before breakfast), I was hit big a wave of nausea. I ate a banana and almond butter and the feeling went away. Never experienced that before.

Thanks for the recipe ideas! Looking forward to trying different new ones!
Happy friday!

Welcome, daizy744!
The nausea might be a bit of "carb flu" Also, if you are used to eating a lot of frequent meals/snacks your body might take a little while to adjust.  It WILL pass!

Please feel free to post your progress, questions, successes, and struggles. We're here for you!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #1689 on: November 20, 2016, 01:10:16 AM »
Hi all,  I'm trying to right the ship. A week ago we had a massive earthquake  (7.8) not far from where I live in New Zealand. It was truly terrifying and Whole30 went out the window. Luckily few people were hurt but it has shaken us all. The next day my city (Wellington) was flooded and cut off from the rest of the country. It really looked a bit like the end of the world - just waiting for the locusts. But we're all ok and I need to pull myself back on track this week. It's awesome to have you guys here to cheer on the successes and support through the road bumps. KS

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #1690 on: November 20, 2016, 07:15:05 AM »
KS, glad to hear you're all right and things are getting back to normal. What a scare! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1691 on: November 20, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
Yikes! Thanks for checking in KS, glad yo hear you are all right!

How is it going with the sleep, ZiziPB?

Mom22boys - I haven't read FFF, how is it, any new insights?

N - How is your reintro going?

Hotstreak - Tig_ - ketchup -  How are you all doing??

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1692 on: November 20, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
Yikes! Thanks for checking in KS, glad yo hear you are all right!

How is it going with the sleep, ZiziPB?

Mom22boys - I haven't read FFF, how is it, any new insights?

N - How is your reintro going?

Hotstreak - Tig_ - ketchup -  How are you all doing??
Still waking up early but my energy level is good. So I guess 7 hours is enough for me. Doing ok otherwise.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1693 on: November 20, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
Not much to it.  Cook food, eat food, repeat.

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: November 20, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
We did Thanksgiving #1 at my dad's today, so while the meal was mostly gluten free, the cheese and crackers before hand were not.

I did succeed in giving away some cheese that had found its way into my fridge though?

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1695 on: November 20, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
Up and Down. its been an emotional week for me, I have PMS for sure. My dad was in town and took us out to eat, I had pizza and the scale jumped up 3 lbs the next am. Could that be bloat and inflammation?

Tonight I made those swedish meatballs and gravy. OMG. so delicious. I had mine on spagetti squash, others chose pasta or mashed potatoes with theirs. Everybody enjoyed the meatballs! They said they should go in the rotation! Nice :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1696 on: November 21, 2016, 07:20:46 AM »
Day 22 for me today.  Doing well generally, except a bit bored with limited food options.  Prepped only a couple of days worth of food yesterday because I'm planning to get home early on Wednesday and cook dinner.  As Hotstreak said, there's not much to it by now.  You cook food, eat food, and repeat :-)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1697 on: November 21, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
Reintroduced seed-based spices yesterday!  Made this with some cumin added: http://enjoyingthisjourney.com/aip-beef-tacos/  Holy shit they were fantastic.  We had it as romaine wraps and added some slightly-crunched sweet potato chips in with it too.  GF and I are not "guac people" but the guac was spectacular.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1698 on: November 21, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
Up and Down. its been an emotional week for me, I have PMS for sure. My dad was in town and took us out to eat, I had pizza and the scale jumped up 3 lbs the next am. Could that be bloat and inflammation?

Yep, it could be. Also might be some water retention. The inflammation side of things can be really tricky to pinpoint. Many people have some sort of immune response to wheat (either because of the gluten or how it is grown/processed) and eating one off doesn;t cause any symptoms but a gradual build up of inflammation and grossness over multiple exposures. This is how it is with Hubs, he doesn;t have the instant reactions and pain and inflammation that I do, but he definitely notices a chance to his baseline after a few days of eating wheat.

Hotstreak and ZiziPB - I totally get you as far as settling into food routine and a bit of boredom. One the one hand it is good because things are becoming a little more automatic, on the other, yeah it can get boring. Now is the time to experiment with new recipes and new cuisines and start making it fun!

Ketchup - Those tacos look awesome! I am super intrigued about the addition of tamarind. Need to see if I have any left! I imagine after eating spice-free for so long the flavours with the cumin would have been epic!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
Ketchup - Those tacos look awesome! I am super intrigued about the addition of tamarind. Need to see if I have any left! I imagine after eating spice-free for so long the flavours with the cumin would have been epic!
Tamarind is an interesting one, it shows up in a few AIP recipes we've tried, mostly as a bit of a tomato-substitute addition it seems.

And we haven't been quite eating spice-free (just no nightshade spices, fruit- or seed-based spices) but very little in the way of spicey-spices, so black pepper and now cumin and the like have been wonderful reintroductions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!