Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427059 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1600 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Hey, Everyone!

Giving out Halloween candy was interesting last night, I didn't want any of it. Wasn't remotely tempted (despite being some of my old favorites) but it did trigger a serious need to snack. So I had a few raisins, a couple of slices of turkey and a few almonds. So all in all not so bad, but clearly some more work to do on the psychological side of things. Which is expected given I've got a bit of an addictive personality :)

On the eating breakfast front - ermm... well it's almost 1 pm.  Darn forum sidetracking!

Hope you are feeling better, Zizi!

Anyone have some tried and true ideas for using some cooked beets? I got a good deal on a big bag and promptly forgot about them. SO now I have a full bowl in the fridge I need to use up. I thought about making Borscht but Hubby isn't a fan.

How are you doing after the Sugar, N? Did you find that you are wanting more?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1601 on: November 01, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »
I think we're on Day 21 (?) of strict AIP Paleo (basically W30 without nuts, seeds and fruit/seed-based spices, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers of any kind/nightshade spices).  My GF is down just over 15lbs (11 of it in the first week, definitely some water weight) and everything is going great.

It's rather mustache-shaving, but an order from this site (http://www.paleoonthego.com/) was perfect for GF last week when she was flew out of town all week for work.  Not easy when you can't just pack a cooler full of leftovers.  Also some "Pork clouds" and sweet potato chips made with coconut oil and salt and nothing else.

We'll be starting our reintroduction (starting with egg yolks, black pepper, and seed-based spices in that order spaced out by a few days) right around Day 30.  Nearly everything is W30 compliant for about another month of our reintro.

Onward and upward!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1602 on: November 01, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
Awesome update, Ketchup! I was wondering how you were doing! Can you share some of your AIP recipes/resources? I don't feel the need to go that strict (yet), and I'm wondering what you are actually eating!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1603 on: November 01, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
Anyone have some tried and true ideas for using some cooked beets? I got a good deal on a big bag and promptly forgot about them. SO now I have a full bowl in the fridge I need to use up. I thought about making Borscht but Hubby isn't a fan.

I make a beet hash regularly.  It's a bit sweet but quite good, and W30 compliant!

In a pan, sauté:
Cooking oil
Garlic
Onion
Chopped bacon or sausage of some type

When meat is cooked through, add:
Par-boiled potatoes & beets, cubed
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne pepper (optional!)

Stir & Cook for a while.  When potatoes and beets are cooked through, add:
Chopped beet greens, if you have them
Chopped Kale and/or Collards

Stir well & cook until greens are soft.  If the pan gets dry add more cooking oil, not water (I use coconut oil for this recipe).  It's nice to have the potatoes and beets par boiled so they take in some of the meat flavor while it's all cooking together, but I don't see any reason you couldn't mix them in towards the end.  If you try this let me know how you like it!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: November 01, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Awesome update, Ketchup! I was wondering how you were doing! Can you share some of your AIP recipes/resources? I don't feel the need to go that strict (yet), and I'm wondering what you are actually eating!
We've used this site a lot for AIP info: http://autoimmune-paleo.com/ 

Recent recipes (may have posted some of these already):
http://www.cleaneatingveggiegirl.com/2016/01/12/aip-paleo-avocado-turmeric-chicken-salad/
http://enjoyingthisjourney.com/aip-greek-salad/
http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/autoimmune-paleo-orange-teriyaki-meatballs/ (honey so no-go on W30)
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/hawaiian-salmon/
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bistro-chicken-salad-garlic-thyme-vinaigrette/ (this is truly the greatest thing ever)
http://www.grazedandenthused.com/single-post/2014/08/04/PeachGlazed-Mini-Meatloaves-AIP-Friendly

Tonight:
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/

Also bottling a batch (4 bottles) of homemade kombucha tonight so we'll see how that comes out in a few more days.

We've been doing this together with a friend and her mom.  The friend has Hashimoto's and it's been really good for her so far too.

The hardest restrictions are by far eggs and black pepper.  I can handle going without everything else reasonably easily, but I feel like those are in *everything* we used to cook.  Luckily they're some of the first to reintroduce.

Also: Cauliflower "rice" has totally become a thing you can buy at the store.  And it's way better than my (many) attempts at making it at home.

Also also: W30-compliant no-sugar-or-bullshit bacon is available at a regular store in my area so we don't have to buy it online anymore.  Check your stores!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1605 on: November 01, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »
If you try this let me know how you like it!

I could kiss you, Hotstreak, THANK YOU! You solved my dilemma of what to have for breakfasts for the next couple of days! I couldn't follow your recipe exactly, but I did fry up some onions, garlic, chopped up bacon and beets with some salt and a bunch of pepper. So good! Must remember a little bacon fat makes everything taste awesome :D

Having trouble finding good greens now that our CSA has ended for the year. But going to keep an eye out for some so I can make your whole recipe. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the links Ketchup, I'll be checking them out! It is things like spices and pepper I don't know if I could go without. I'm pretty certain anything can taste good with the right/enough spices. But I definitely am going to try some of the recipes you posted!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1606 on: November 01, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »

I really like them simply with your oil of choice, lemon zest and some nice sea salt and pepper.

You could also do Red Flannel Hash with some poached eggs (I use bacon, not corned beef).

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1607 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
that beet hash sounds really good.
I usually cube and oven roast them with oil, salt and pepper.
If you can eat them raw, you can grate them into a salad.

The sugar in the soda didnt seem to ....hmmm. I did have trouble going to bed early enough and then I crashed this afternoon around 4, I was soooo tired. related? I dont know. I did not have any candy last night though. So it didnt trigger any super strong cravings.

Except I keep fantasizing about my favorite pizza place. I will plan a visit there soon, but first I aim to trial dairy and wheat separately. I think Ill do dairy tomorrow. I bought a whole, full fat yogurt to try (with limited ingredients and no gums) and maybe Ill have a bite of hard cheese too.

When I was around 18 or 19 I made the connection that milk gave me digestion problems. I didnt really cut it out strictly though, until my son reacted to dairy in my breastmilk. His reactions were terrible, so I gave it up adn since then have cut it back and been on and off dairy free. It will be interesting to see how I react to it all by itself.

Ive lost 15 lbs since I started W30. Woo!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1608 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »

Except I keep fantasizing about my favorite pizza place. I will plan a visit there soon, but first I aim to trial dairy and wheat separately. I think Ill do dairy tomorrow. I bought a whole, full fat yogurt to try (with limited ingredients and no gums) and maybe Ill have a bite of hard cheese too.

When I was around 18 or 19 I made the connection that milk gave me digestion problems. I didnt really cut it out strictly though, until my son reacted to dairy in my breastmilk. His reactions were terrible, so I gave it up adn since then have cut it back and been on and off dairy free. It will be interesting to see how I react to it all by itself.

Ive lost 15 lbs since I started W30. Woo!

Good plan on doing the reintos separate first. Good luck with the dairy reintro, let us know how it goes! WAHOO on the weight loss, doesn't it feel GOOD?!?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1609 on: November 02, 2016, 04:40:29 AM »
Day 3 for me today.  The migraine is gone, thank goodness.  There was so much food and junk in the office yesterday!  Halloween candy everywhere, and someone brought in breakfast "goodies" (none of it good for me :-) and other random food appearing all day in the office kitchen...  I wasn't really tempted by the food itself but noticed how accustomed I am to just grabbing some candy or other food when I pass by it in the office.  I had to stop myself from doing that automatically a few times.   

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1610 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »
Glad the headache is gone Zizi!

I fully admit to frequently sending stuff we are given (or extra Halloween candy) with my husband to leave in the lunchroom. He said he put out a full bowl in the morning and by lunch time it was nearly gone. I do feel a little bad about it :S 

Next Halloween we will be shifting to non-crap treats or maybe non-edibles? I'll have to think and plan for it. It's our second Halloween here so now I have a little better of an idea on how many kids we will get. It's interesting viewing the whole "trick or treating" thing through the lens of how bad sugar is and how much these kids are getting, and how bad it was for triggering binging and secretive eating when I was a kid....need to ponder all this some more.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1611 on: November 02, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
I've made a few adjustments to stay compliant.  This is my first time on the program so it's all new to me.

I figured my cheese and kefir would go bad, so I ate them for dinner on the 31st (along with a salad).  There are a few things I won't be using for the next month, & may go looking for complaint alternatives: coconut milk for coffee, lemon juice for tea, sriracha sauce, and chewing gum.  I'm sure there will be more things as I keep reading labels. 

I've been pretty accepting of small amounts of sugar in commercial sauces, so I'm going to need to make those on my own if I want to use them.  I don't think it's nutritionally different to make my own sauce sweetened with fruit juice vs. using one with honey or molasses or a little sugar, but I do want to follow this Whole 30 to the letter, so I'll be getting creative & trying new things.

Oh my goodness, Halloween candy!  We got a bunch at my office & people absolutely scarfed it down.  The bowls are all empty, but I kept a stash of the good stuff on my desk and now I'm using it to bribe my coworkers :). 

I do not participate in the mass giving of candy to kids, though.  I'd love to think that every parent controls their kids candy intake & keeps things somewhat reasonable, but the reality is that many kids will be binge eating thousand of calories of pure sugar this week.  That's not healthy under any circumstances & reinforces poor food habits these kids will carry with them for a lifetime (while we all pay for the associated healthcare, but that's another topic).

I could kiss you, Hotstreak, THANK YOU! You solved my dilemma of what to have for breakfasts for the next couple of days! I couldn't follow your recipe exactly, but I did fry up some onions, garlic, chopped up bacon and beets with some salt and a bunch of pepper. So good! Must remember a little bacon fat makes everything taste awesome :D

Having trouble finding good greens now that our CSA has ended for the year. But going to keep an eye out for some so I can make your whole recipe. Thanks again!

I'm glad you liked it!  I just had some for lunch.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1612 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »
I've made a few adjustments to stay compliant.  This is my first time on the program so it's all new to me.

I figured my cheese and kefir would go bad, so I ate them for dinner on the 31st (along with a salad).  There are a few things I won't be using for the next month, & may go looking for complaint alternatives: coconut milk for coffee, lemon juice for tea, sriracha sauce, and chewing gum.  I'm sure there will be more things as I keep reading labels. 

Hotstreak, definitely use us as a resource with this being your first time! Any observations/thoughts/challenges/successes you have it is worth noting and sharing! Especially so you have a bit of a record to look back on later.

Just wanted to mention that Sriracha isn't complaint - but Cholula is! At least the regular one, not sure about all the specialty flavors.

Chewing gum isn't advised because you are trying to regulate your digestive system and chewing gum stimulates your digestive system but doesn't provide food.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1613 on: November 03, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »
Day 4 for me today.  So far so good, although I was hungry yesterday.  So today I will add some roasted sweet potato to my dinner and have some almond butter with the apple that is my afternoon snack.  Definitely feeling lighter and more alert and energetic today, even without coffee :-) 

W30 seems much easier the second time around.  The timeline seems compressed?  My hangover feeling lasted a day and now I'm experiencing a surge in energy.  Hmm...

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #1614 on: November 03, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
Hi all, I'm back! Great to see this thread has kept chugging on.  I did my first Whole30 this time last year and felt amazing. My motivation last time was awful hayfever & allergies plus 10kg extra weight. A year on and I find myself in the exact same place. Am on strong asthma meds so I can breathe and have such a bad cough that hubby is sleeping on the kids room. Unfortunately despite feeling awesome on Whole30 I haven't managed to make the changes stick - so that is the goal this time around - allergy relief and better habits for the rest of my life. Glad to be joining you. Day 1 starts tomorrow.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1615 on: November 04, 2016, 05:10:39 AM »
Hi all, I'm back! Great to see this thread has kept chugging on.  I did my first Whole30 this time last year and felt amazing. My motivation last time was awful hayfever & allergies plus 10kg extra weight. A year on and I find myself in the exact same place. Am on strong asthma meds so I can breathe and have such a bad cough that hubby is sleeping on the kids room. Unfortunately despite feeling awesome on Whole30 I haven't managed to make the changes stick - so that is the goal this time around - allergy relief and better habits for the rest of my life. Glad to be joining you. Day 1 starts tomorrow.
Another person joining us for November!  How exciting!  I am also hoping to achieve some permanent changes this time, KiwiSonya.  So best of luck to both of us!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1616 on: November 04, 2016, 06:58:39 AM »
Donuts in the office today.  And I'm not talking Dunkin Donuts here, but real old fashioned donut shop fancy donuts... It seems that once the eating and snacking season starts with Halloween candy, it's non-stop from there until New Year's Eve.

Just had a banana for a snack and will have some herbal tea soon.  Day 5 for me and feeling great.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1617 on: November 04, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
Another person joining us for November!  How exciting!  I am also hoping to achieve some permanent changes this time, KiwiSonya.  So best of luck to both of us!

+1 It's good to see you KiwiSonya. I wish you were feeling better though! Sucks that you are dealing with all the allergies again. The lasting change part is hard, it's the shift from going from "short-term experiment" to " new way of life" that is the most challenging.

Way to go for not giving into the doughnut temptation, ZiziPB that would have been tough!  I know I have it easier than most working from home because I have much more control over my environment most of the time. Keep on feeling great!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1618 on: November 04, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
I never realized how much restaurants water down their Cholula until I bought my own bottle, this stuff is pretty thick! 

I'm on day 4 & things are going pretty well so far.  One issue I'm having is breakfast.  My normal breakfast, which I eat at work, is a mix of unsweetened coconut flakes, almond meal, chia & flax seeds, salt, cinnamon, and... unflavored whey protein isolate, and a small amount of instant oats.  It's not sweet, at all, & actually fairly low carb considering it's an "oatmeal" recipe.  To try and replace it, one morning I microwaved eggs, but they didn't fill me up at all.  Two days this week I ate a banana & some mixed nuts, which filled me up okay, but the sweetness of the banana was unpleasant in the morning.  I'm thinking I will just pack an extra half serving of whatever I'm having for lunch and eat that in the mornings.  I bike to work 2-3 days/week and need some food!

Any suggestions from my fellow W30ers?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: November 04, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
My go to portable breakfast that I can bring to the office with me is two hard boiled eggs with mayo and a V8 vegetable juice.  I think the fat in mayo helps with staying full.  I also like an apple with almond butter.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1620 on: November 04, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2016/10/01/the-paleo-aip-instant-pot-cookbook-review-recipe-and-giveaway/

Swedish Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy.

This.

This this this.

Make these meatballs if you have an InstantPot or other pressure cooker.  They are fantastic.

(W30/Paleo/AIP/etc compliant)

Made them last night and the GF is bringing them with her for leftovers on a trip for today and tomorrow.  Outrageously good.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1621 on: November 04, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
It definitely helps to think of meals as "Meal 1" "Meal 2" etc... instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Tuna or chicken salad made with some homemade mayo would be portable.

You could also keep with your usual breakfast but add in some chopped fruit. Also looks like it could use some fat in there to help keep you full - nut butter would work. You might be able to replace the whey with some gelatin? Not sure, I take no responsibility if you try it and it is horrible :)

Doing well. Made some soup out of stock I saved from my last Kahlua pork, some asparagus stock, roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers and zucchini all from the freezer. I've got some chai concentrate brewing in the crockpot.

Last night was craving something warm and not caffeinated so made some "Chocolate Mint" tea (loose Spearmint, peppermint, and some cocoa powder) with a splash of cashew milk. It was tasty and warm.

How is everyone else doing?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1622 on: November 04, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »
I never realized how much restaurants water down their Cholula until I bought my own bottle, this stuff is pretty thick! 

I'm on day 4 & things are going pretty well so far.  One issue I'm having is breakfast.  My normal breakfast, which I eat at work, is a mix of unsweetened coconut flakes, almond meal, chia & flax seeds, salt, cinnamon, and... unflavored whey protein isolate, and a small amount of instant oats.  It's not sweet, at all, & actually fairly low carb considering it's an "oatmeal" recipe.  To try and replace it, one morning I microwaved eggs, but they didn't fill me up at all.  Two days this week I ate a banana & some mixed nuts, which filled me up okay, but the sweetness of the banana was unpleasant in the morning.  I'm thinking I will just pack an extra half serving of whatever I'm having for lunch and eat that in the mornings.  I bike to work 2-3 days/week and need some food!

Any suggestions from my fellow W30ers?

Sounds like you'd like Fauxtmeal.  You can adjust the banana down if it's too sweet.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1623 on: November 04, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
horsepoor - That Fauxtmeal looks interesting, I will try out a modified version this weekend!

swick -  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm trying to avoid fruits, but I like your idea about gelatin.  Now I need to pick which mug I'm going to deposit this permanent layer of dissolved gelatin on - the office dishwasher is not capable of removing these things :).

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #1624 on: November 04, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I'm 3/4 through Day 1 and I'm feeling better already- crazy! Have had a busy Saturday with the family. My son's first ever cricket game (seriously cute and totally hilarious watching 5 & 6 year olds) from 8.30am- 9.30.  Made pancake brunch for the family and bacon, eggs & veggies for me. Biked on my new eelctric bike to the butchery & market to stock up. Unfortunately I couldn't start my bike so ended up biking with heavy bike & 10kg of groceries up a long slightly steep hill in a strong headwind for an hour. Having a much needed sit down now. Exercise - tick. Lamb chops with asparagus and coleslaw made from my son's much cherished homegrown cabbage will be on the menu. I am determined to be more organised  and plan my meals this time around!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1625 on: November 04, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
eggs by themselves arent that filling for me either. I like to eat mine scrambled with a lot of veggies, or cooked over medium and on top of mashed sweet potatoes or greens. I use coconut oil or chicken fat to cook them. You could premake those scrambled eggs in muffin tins for easy transport. I also mentioned up thread that I love chicken salad with grapes, celery, red  onion and walnuts, mixed with lemon juice and mayo, over chopped lettuce. I eat that for breakfast sometimes. sometimes I also like warm soups for breakfast-butternut squash with curry or ginger is nice.

My dairy trial was non eventful. No troubles at all. Yesterday I did go and have a pizza. Its a woodfired thin crust build your own place. It was tasty and I enjoyed it, but it wasnt the be all end all. I think I did notice a couple reactions later, but not major. Im going back to plan for a few more days and observing. Im still losing weight, so I am trying to focus on getting enough sleep (lacking this week), and eating at better times of the day.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1626 on: November 06, 2016, 05:58:57 AM »
I made the faux oatmeal for breakfast this morning: 2 eggs, 1 small banana, a spoonfull of coconut flour, some cinnamon and a bit of water.  Cooked it in coconut oil.  Added a bit of ground flax, walnuts and cranberries.  Very tasty and quite filling - the texture was not quite like oatmeal but more like baby cereal.  Wouldn't have it for breakfast every day but it's a nice  change on a weekend morning.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1627 on: November 07, 2016, 03:31:06 AM »
Week 2 starts for me today.  Feeling great so far, so much better than first time around.  Much more alert and energetic.  Eating plan for this week:

- eggs with sweet potato and chicken sausage for breakfast
- mixed salad with tuna for lunches (got Italian canned tuna in olive oil at Costco - expensive but so good)
- spaghetti squash and chicken cacciatore for dinner tonight, then bigos (Polish cabbage and sourkraut stew with pork and sausage) for the rest of the week.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1628 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »
Hey ZiziPB glad thing are going good for you.  They are going well for me, too.  I was looking to relax over the weekend and wanted a glass of wine, but I took a sauna instead and felt great!  I was hungry for most of last week, but I've adjusted to it and the feeling has passed.

I took time this weekend to prepare quite a bit of food:

- Mashed hard boiled eggs with mustard, avocado oil, spices
- Vegetable chicken stew
- Sautéed green beans with garlic
- Sautéed asparagus with garlic
- Baked acorn squash with cinnamon & ghee
- Chopped raddish, broccoli, & mushrooms in the fridge + tomatoes & avocado on the counter for salads (enough lettuce in the fridge for the week).  I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing.
- One plate of leftover venison liver, sautéed onions heavily seasoned, sautéed mushrooms with radish.  I'm looking forward to this tomorrow!
- Taking a beef roast out of the freezer to thaw, for cooking this weekend.

I also have snacks at work including canned meats, mixed nuts, and chocolate bars (100% cocoa, W30 complaint!!).  Towards the end of the week I will have my last CSA pickup, and whatever they give me will determine what I eat over the weekend and in to next week.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1629 on: November 07, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
Wahoo for meal prep! Thanks Zizi and Hotstreak! I have some new ideas!

I did some as well!

- Carrot sticks and homemade chipotle dressing for dip portioned out and ready to go
 - Big batch of Ragutooi (basically a combo of Ragu and Ratatouille) that turns into a delish stew
 - Gluten-free Cornbread and Buckwheat crepes (these are for Hubby for breakfasts and lunches, but should lighten my load so I can focus on more tasties for me)
 - Big batch of chicken salad I have been eating the last couple of days. Chicken, pecans, chipotle dressing, celery, green onion.
 - Chicken Stock
 - Asparagus Stock

A friend shared this recipe, which made with Gee should be delish and I have all the ingredients for! https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/11/roasted-cauliflower-with-pumpkin-seeds-brown-butter-and-lime/

I'm also trying to figure out something to do with carrot tops. They are pretty bitter but I am determined not to compost them. I tried them raw in a salad, but it was pretty much all I could taste. I know some people make pesto with it, but I can't imagine it would be much better, especially without the cheese. SO I'm going to sautee some in garlic and see if that mellows them out a bit.

I have not been following the "no scale" rule as I have been doing this style of eating so long and am about 15 lbs off my goal weight, I just want to monitor and make sure I am losing at a consistent and sustainable weight. Averaging about 1.2 pounds a week which seems to be working well for me. To date, that is 80 lbs. lost.

N - Glad to hear your dairy and gluten trials went well. Gluten especially may not cause immediate symptoms but can be accumulative and show up over time, just so you are aware of that.

How is everyone else doing? KiwiSonya? 1967mama?

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
I havent had anything non compliant since my pizza night. Im doing well!
Today I made a big batch of the Pizza Pie (spaghetti squash, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, pizza sauce and eggs), a double batch of chicken bone broth, a dozen hard boiled eggs.
Tomorrow Im making a pot roast with enough for extras all week.
I have two servings of my chicken salad from the weekend also.
prep is good!

Its been 6 weeks since I started and Im down 18 lbs.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #1631 on: November 08, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »
Hi all, great to hear you are all doing so well.  I wrote a big post yesterday and then my laptop crashed and I lost it and didn't have the heart to repeat.  I'm finishing up Day 4 and have stuck to the script.  I have been tested with a school fair that was basically a candy circus, and made the mistake of making fresh bread for the rest of the family to go with jack o lantern soup yesterday - was torture but I endured it.  My allergies have been so much better - I can actually breathe through my nose which I'm pretty sure I haven't done for at least 6 weeks.  Been feeling a bit grumpy and hungry today but was expecting that.  I did lots of food prep on the weekend - hard boiled eggs, ratatouille, lamb chops, coleslaw which has made it easy - preparing in advance really is pivotal to making this work.
I have made several shifts in mindset since I last did whole30 at the start of the year.  I have been reading the Stoics and trying to 'Eat to Live ' not the other way around - and that has helped.  I've always made food a bit too central to my life and that has been unhealthy for me.  Eating shouldn't be about what I "feel like" but what nutrition my body needs - and you can plan this on paper and make it the day or week before! Much like last time it astonishes me how out of control our "treating culture" has become - unhealthy food is pedalled at every corner for every possible reason.  I haven't really been interested in any of it - fixing my health is my No.1 priority and no crappy food is going to stand in my way.
You guys have done amazingly with your weight lost.  I'm very impressed.  And the food all sounds yum.  Keep it up! KS

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1632 on: November 08, 2016, 12:54:14 PM »
Well bollocks, There was unlabeled gluten in the sausages I had for supper last night. I asked and was assured there was not.

How do I know? I haven't slept because I am in too much pain. All my nerves hurt. I can feel the inflammation. I feel like I got hit by a bus. I suppose the bright side is it has effectively killed any desire I have been having to try something gluten and tasty and just deal with the consequences. Just.Not.Worth.It

I technically should start again, but I'm not going to. I definitely would if it was my first time around. Although I suppose the numbers are all kinda arbitrary for me at this point. Don't know. Will re-evaluate when I'm feeling better.

KiwiSonya - Sorry you lost your last post but way to go for coming to some of those realizations around food. I use to be in the same place. Breaking that relationship (or redefining it) is paramount to being successful. Way to go!

Hope everyone is doing well!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1633 on: November 09, 2016, 12:24:01 AM »
Swick-Sorry you got glutened!  It really sucks when you specifically ask and are trying so hard to get it right, and you get burned anyway. Hope you feel better asap.

KS- good point about "treat culture". Its pervasive just about everywhere. I also feel the same way- Im trying to fix my health too, and Im not going to risk it eating junk or bad tasting food. If Im going to stray, it had better be delicious, high quality food. Certainly not for fast food or frozen pizza! :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1634 on: November 09, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »
I am an "emotional eater", and I am extremely upset today.  So please don't hold me accountable for my food choices today...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1635 on: November 09, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
I am an "emotional eater", and I am extremely upset today.  So please don't hold me accountable for my food choices today...

Today is going to be triggering for many of us.  If you give up your personal power, you let them win. FUCK THAT.

Today we all have to ask ourselves "What is in our Sphere of Influence?" How we treat people, if we give into fear and anger, if we numb ourselves or actively harm ourselves with food and/or drink.

The best way you can protest an outcome you don't like is to be personally proactive in taking care of yourself. First and foremost, whatever comes you need to be healthy and clear headed and prepared to react consciously.

Sending all of you love and strength

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1636 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:29 AM »

I feel you.  I definitely did some stress eating last night.  Will try to channel my angst into exercise today.

Just stopping by to post this recipe that came up in my Facebook feed since it looks good and is W30 without the feta:  Greek chicken stew with cauliflower and olives.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1637 on: November 09, 2016, 07:19:11 AM »

I feel you.  I definitely did some stress eating last night.  Will try to channel my angst into exercise today.

Just stopping by to post this recipe that came up in my Facebook feed since it looks good and is W30 without the feta:  Greek chicken stew with cauliflower and olives.

Thanks horsepoor and swick!  I was saying this half in jest, although I am truly heartbroken.  I badly wanted coffee with milk this morning because I barely slept last night, but I stuck with my plan.  Had a good breakfast and packed my lunch as usual.  The only concession I may make is that I may get some dried Greek figs tonight.  They are W30 compliant...

The chicken recipe you posted looks delicious.  I may make it this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:20:51 AM by ZiziPB »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1638 on: November 09, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »
My stronger than usual response was at least 1/2 things I needed to tell myself :)

I tend to be rather empathic and there is so much pain right now, I feel like a sponge that can't take anymore. In the past, I WOULD tamp the feels down with food and drink. Not this time.

I think taking control of your own health and well-being is a form of protest/revolution. In any case, it is something in your control.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1639 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
Watching the election results I had a craving for some junk food and a drink.  Wolf Blitzer made everything sound so dramatic.. there were also flashing lights, sound effects, and a moving scroll bar on the bottom of the screen.  It was all very stressful. 

So I turned it off, watched a show on Netflix for a while, and went to bed.  This morning I ate a nice breakfast of eggs in coconut oil, and I have lots of leftover veggies at work to eat for lunch.  I ran out of leftover meat here, but I have an old tuna packet that I've been meaning to eat.  It says "Best By Dec 2013".. I think it will be fine, I'm really only interested in the "Pretty Good By" date, anyways.. but they don't publish that information.

I get my last CSA box tomorrow, which will have enough vegetables for 4-5 days.  Since I don't know what's going to be in it, I don't know what else I need to get at the grocery.  I have one plate of leftover venison liver & sautéed vegetables to eat tonight, with a small salad.  I have some eggs & spinach so I will made a large omelet to take to work tomorrow for lunch, but other than that I'm out of fresh foods.  Looking forward to the beef roast & shredded chicken I'm thawing right now.

One week in, removing cheese and alcohol have been the two most significant changes.  I've noticed that my face is thinner and my stomach is smaller.  I know this could be water weight, could be less puffiness due to inflammation, could be an actual loss of fat (although 1 week is a very short time to notice a change in that regard).  When I do a caliper test (grab my gut with my hand) my spare tire seems about the same as before.  It's what's further inside that's smaller.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1640 on: November 09, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
Day 29 of AIP for us!  GF is down 17lbs since Day 1.

I think I overdid the coconut oil + green tea yesterday morning (2 cups, and lots of oil in each).  Felt like I was on drugs.  Brain on overdrive.

Discovered the wonder of sweet potato noodles with pork sausage last night (can't find recipe at the moment...).

Making this tonight: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2540758120/stir-fried-kelp-noodles-with-ground-beef-broccoli

And this: http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/ (first time cooking liver!  Wish me luck...)

Ordered a box of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FG0447S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1  GF tried one and said they're really good!  Expensive shit, but shelf-stable, good for travel, and Paleo/W30/AIP/etc.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1641 on: November 09, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »
Between Hotstreak and ketchup talking about liver, I now have a serious craving for liver with sauteed onions...  Where do you get good liver?

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1642 on: November 09, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »
Between Hotstreak and ketchup talking about liver, I now have a serious craving for liver with sauteed onions...  Where do you get good liver?

Mine came from a deer, in the forest :)  First time having fresh liver for me and it's phenomenal.  I would suggest calling around to butchers and seeing if they have any liver from grass fed cows.  Other than that, you can get it frozen in some grocery stores.  The most important thing to remember with Liver is to not overcook it, it should be served rare.  I typically cook 1-2 minutes per side, just long enough to brown.  If you cook it more than that it will get very nasty, very quick.

I think I overdid the coconut oil + green tea yesterday morning (2 cups, and lots of oil in each).  Felt like I was on drugs.  Brain on overdrive.

I love that feeling.  Do you blend them, or drink & eat separately?  I've always been interested in bulletproof coffee and it's variations, but I can't bring myself to dirty a blender (and wash it!) on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:56:34 PM by Hotstreak »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1643 on: November 09, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
Thanks Hotstreak, I've cooked liver before but the supermarket variety here leaves a lot to be desired.  I will check the one local butcher I know to see if they have any.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1644 on: November 09, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Yeah, I have hard time touch that stuff too.  Frozen chunks of liver from super low quality cows is.. not great.  I over season and even then I have to force feed it down my throat.  I hope you can find a good source.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1645 on: November 09, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
I get ours from a local farm CSA (pastured-raised) for $2.50/lb.

I love that feeling.  Do you blend them, or drink & eat separately?  I've always been interested in bulletproof coffee and it's variations, but I can't bring myself to dirty a blender (and wash it!) on a regular basis.
I just make a cup of tea and throw some coconut oil (about 1-2tbsp) on top to melt.  I've only done one cup a day in the past though.  I've also made Tim Ferris' "titanium tea" rocket-fuel-for-the-brain pu-erh tea/green tea and coconut oil + butter, and Mark Sisson Primal Egg Coffee with a few whole raw eggs.  For those, an immersion blender is a quick way to blend without needing to clean much (give it a quick rinse right afterwards and it's good to go).

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #1646 on: November 09, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
Primal egg coffee! Ooh! And eating raw eggs doesn't freak you out? Or do they sterilize in the hot coffee?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1647 on: November 09, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »
Mark Sisson Primal Egg Coffee with a few whole raw eggs.  For those, an immersion blender is a quick way to blend without needing to clean much (give it a quick rinse right afterwards and it's good to go).

had to look this up. Mind = Blown. Going to try and see. Felt like I needed a bit of a pick me up so had a coconut milk matcha Latte with a little coconut oil. But egg coffee...I'm intrigued!

Got some Cauliflower and leeks roasting in the oven. Going to make a big pot of soup. It is definitely a soup day :)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1648 on: November 09, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
Primal egg coffee! Ooh! And eating raw eggs doesn't freak you out? Or do they sterilize in the hot coffee?

If you're worried about salmonella you can wash your eggs in soapy water before cracking them.  Anything pasteurized is also safe, and anything pastured (aka the most expensive eggs) has very low chance of infection, because it's hard for hens to be infected if they aren't living in a CAFO.

There's tons of recipes that call for raw eggs, like eggnog, ice cream, salad dressings & other sauces.  Every day thousands of people are eating raw cookie dough and brownie batter, and there's no massive outbreak of salmonella.

Based on all of that, I think the risk is pretty small.  If I had a compromised immune system or was pregnant I would take more precautions.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1649 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Eggs only have to get to 140 for pasteurization, so if you're throwing them in 200F coffee, I think you can count them as "cooked."  The trick is to start the eggs in the blender, and then pour in the coffee slowly so the eggs temper instead of turning into scrambled eggs.

Last summer I would do egg coffee (1 egg plus coconut oil, cinnamon and a wee bit of maple syrup) on the weekends and not get hungry for a real meal until about 1 pm.  Really effective at warding off hunger.  And it gets frothy like a latte, so it feels fancy.