Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427081 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1550 on: October 06, 2016, 10:58:03 PM »
how nervous should I be about day 12
http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

honestly, I really am dreaming of having tiger blood energy levels. that sounds fun. :)

things have been going pretty smoothly. Im mostly at home with the kids, so I dont have to deal with work lunches or a lot of eating out committments. Tonight I made a batch of toasted nuts with coconut oil, cinnamon and salt and they were very satsifying as a snack. I am feeling a little bored, but I will grocery shop in the next two days so will have the chance to buy some different stuff.

whats everyone cooking/eating lately? one of my go-to's is a chicken-grapes-red onion-celery-walnut-mayo-lemon juice salad on lettuce. its, creamy, crunchy, tart and sweet and very filling. I used to eat it on crackers or toast, but its great on crunch romaine hearts, too.

You'll be fine! If you're having weird dreams or cravings, just check in with us to be talked out of it :)

That salad sounds AWESOME. I'll admit to being in a bit of a rut. Last week was great I had lots of squash and sweet potatoes already roasted I could do stuff with. This week I've been so busy and stressed trying to get a new business off the ground I haven't been very creative.  I threw together a quick beef spaghetti sauce, threw in some chopped spinach and beet greens and some butternut squash noodles and called it done. The last couple of days have been quick salads or soups.

We have three thanksgiving dinners to go to this weekend, still planning to stick as close to plan as possible, but I've finished my last round so an not going to sweat every little thing. When I'm not doing whole 30 I basically stick with the no dairy, no gluten, no soy, very limited amount of carbs and no sugar but trace amounts (in bacon or whatever) It seems to work well for me.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1551 on: October 09, 2016, 08:52:48 AM »
So,  it's my last day.

Which OF COURSE meant that friends put their baby gender cake party on this evening. Which makes me think several things

1. Baby gender parties are COMPLETE BOLLOCKS and I wish I didn't know people who did them.
2. Really,  at the last meal time of this entire undertaking you put a CAKE party?
3. 6pm is NOT cake time.  It is Dinner time. Come on.
4. We all have little kids.  You may run yours by the south American keep em up till midnight tradition but the rest of them all need to be going to bed by 7 AND TOMORROW IS A WORK/DAY CARE DAY.

Bah effing humbug. And you can all get off my damn lawn as well.

Apparently Day 30 means "completely crappy mood" :/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1552 on: October 09, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Hey Screwit, CONGRATS ON MAKING IT TO DAY 30!!

I totally get your frustration with gender parties and those other social obligations that you'd really rather not worry about. And the frustration about it being on your last day. On the bright side, it gives you an excuse to say no to the goodies. If you tried to re intro on cake, you'd probably be in a world of hurt and not be able to pinpoint why.
What is your plan for reintro?

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1553 on: October 09, 2016, 01:06:32 PM »
Thanks swick!!

The party turned out to be much nicer than I thought - it was really just immediate family: us there in person and the South American family via skype. I turned down the cake (pink), and my general mood is much improved over a few hours ago :)

Plan for reintro is: milk. I so very much miss my tea with milk at breakfast and my latte at morning tea. So that's tomorrow. I already expect some problems with it - when I have had a lot of milk in the past I would get stomach issues and the runs. I'm hoping there is a kind of minimum reaction threshold for me there that 2 drinks a day won't hit, but seeing as it's been a month with none at all the slight immunity may be gone. We'll see.

After that, I'm not sure. I do miss bread and I hope the heavy German rye isn't as bad for me as the lighter-than-air toast variety, but I may put that off for a while longer and give rice a shot as second reintro.

Then either chickpeas or soy. Both of those happen enough in my normal cooking that I'm really noticing not being able to use them.

Any suggestions from your experience?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1554 on: October 09, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »
screwit congrats on your 30 days AND to saying no to cake on day 30. impressive!

I actually DID have a dream last night that I was grabbing all kinds of chocolate out of some cabinets and planning to hoard them. I laughed when I woke up, because it was so on the nose!

I finished Day 14. I had some pineapple juice with breakfast and it almost tasted like caramel, it was so so so sweet. Tomorrow Im planning to do some bulk food prepping. Roasting a huge beet, making some butternut squash soup, toasting some nuts, steaming some broccoli, roasting some beef bones for more broth. I might also make zucchini soup so my zukes dont go bad. I can freeze some portions of both the soups.

dang, now Im kinda hungry!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1555 on: October 10, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »
GF and I are prepping for Day 1 of AIP tomorrow.  No eggs, nuts, or black pepper will be tricky!  Not the same as Whole30 but in the same vein.

In other news, our InstantPot will also arrive tomorrow. :D

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1556 on: October 11, 2016, 01:21:00 AM »
Well the final numbers are in  For 6 weeks Whole 30 (10 days then 3 days break the the full 30 days) I lost 8.2 kg (18 pound). That was without even trying to lose weight - my focus was on my sugar response and I ate as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted (within the rules) whenever I wanted.

The most obvious thing about my Whole 30 experience was my lack of hunger and cravings. Without my body chemistry screaming at me it was actually easy to not eat that piece of cake. I also think it flattened out my mood as well. The mild depressions that would randomly hit have been completely absent in the last 6 weeks. I would like to find out if it affects my pretty severe PMS, but I haven't really gotten my period this month (due to the operation I had - I'm not pregnant!).

I didn't notice any other real physical symptoms abating - I don't have excema, asthma etc etc bit I'm feeling physically pretty good. I think most of that is down to carrying around less weight and also my dedicated yoga practice of the last 6 months is starting to pay off.  I'm moving easier and have suddenly realised that there is now a core strength that I never even noticed developing.

All of that,  combined with my new hair cut giving me the image I always felt I was and my wardrobe adapting to match and I'm feeling better about myself than I have in over a decade.

Thanks swick and the other participants here who kept this thread alive so that I saw it when I needed it!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1557 on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
Awesome job, Screwit :)

Sounds like a lot of positives! Thank you for sharing your journey and results with us :) Please keep us posted and use us as a resource while you do your reintro!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1558 on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
that sounds like a great result Screwit! lots of positives there. are you doing reintro or planning to keep on?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1559 on: October 12, 2016, 01:09:47 AM »
Day 21 of my 4th or 5th Whole30 ~ Random Thoughts

I successfully navigated Thanksgiving this weekend. It helped that I was the cook! Out of the many dishes I made, I chose turkey, beets and brussell sprouts with bacon (a Dr. Axe recipe .. yum!). I left the stuffing, mashed potatoes (with dairy), peas, corn and pumpkin pie for my family to enjoy:-)

NSV: A pair of jeans that I bought 4 years ago slipped on me today. I'd been waiting to try them on until I thought they might actually fit, and today was the day. Well, by 1/2 way through the day, they were positively baggy and looked terrible! I'm so excited! Into the give-away box they go....my wardrobe is shrinking again.

I forgot to eat dinner tonight ~ said me, never! I'm usually so obsessive about food, so this was a new one for me.

Pumpkin smoothies/shakes (made with coconut milk) totally take the edge off the craving of all the pumpkin spice *EVERYTHING* around right now! ETA: Having about one a week; trying to not make it a SWYPO thing. Certainly better than breaking down and heading to SBUX for one!

screwit -- well done! I'm super impressed by your ability to avoid cake on the last day and last meal of your whole 30! I may not be doing that ...mine falls on the dinner at a fancy/gala/party thing. Pre-set menu and a round table of others eating the same thing.  I faced this last year on my very first whole 30. (Hey, I just realized that its been a year since I decided whole 30 a try! Wow! Cool!)

Keep at it, everyone!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:04:37 AM by 1967mama »

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1560 on: October 16, 2016, 11:13:57 PM »
Im finished with Day 21 of my first W30.

I had a rough week-my daughter has been very sick with gastritis pain. We had dr visits, and even a trip to the ER. When we went to the ER I actually took a thermos of soup and some cinnamon toasted nuts because I didnt want to risk being super hungry and having to resort to a vending machine or something. After 6 days, she seems to be improving. She is on some antacids, but I hope we can simplify her diet as well and get her feeling better.

Today I went for a walk with a friend, we walked for about an hour? Anyway, I got 11 thousand steps today, which is my highest, by 6k points, since I started using the fitbit. Woo!

Im down 12 lbs since starting ( I know you arent supposed to weigh...but oh well)
I dont know if I have cravings, exactly, but Im still thinking fondly about NC foods. Actually, this week, when my daughter was feeling so bad, and I was really stressed, is when I was really thinking about certain foods. Made me reallly see those emotional triggers that I have.

I went to a tea party today and I just had herbal tea. None of the snacks were W30, so I didnt have any. I was fine. I actually spent the whole time talking to a friend on a similar diet, so we compared notes. :)

Today I also did some food prep: roasted some veggies, made some veggie broth, made some curry cauliflour soup, so Im feeling ready for the week ahead. I made a spatchcocked roasted chicken with ghee and herbs rubbed under the skin and it was the most delicious chicken Ive made in a very long time. It was so good!

Ok-hope you all had a good weekend!

N

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1561 on: October 17, 2016, 02:14:56 PM »
N - I hope your daughter is feeling better. I can't imagine how stressful the whole situation was/is for you.

I really want to acknowledge how amazing you did dealing with all of that and not giving up/in.

Way to go on the step record! It's kinda fun tracking with the fitbit, isn't it? Have you checked out the challenges you can do? I don't really like the NYC marathon one, but the one that winds through all the waterfalls and nature of Yosemite is awesome!

Recognizing those emotional triggers is, I think, one of the most important parts of all of this. Once you know the triggers it is easier to come up with a plan to deal with them when they show up. Self-care is such an important piece that people don't think of., but if you can replace the urge/signal to eat with something else that feeds you, you'll be much better off coping!

Keep on, keeping on, you are on the home stretch!

How is everyone else doing?

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1563 on: October 17, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
N - I'm really sorry your daughter has been sick - I hope she gets better quickly! And well done for gettignthrough all of it with the WHole30 intact!!

ketchup - peach glazed mini meatloaf? I think you just made my week.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1564 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
thanks. she is doing better.

omg. all those recipes look amazing. Im salivating!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1565 on: October 18, 2016, 02:06:19 AM »
ketchup - what Whole 30 things are you making in your Instant Pot? So far, I've only tried a whole chicken, stock with the bones and hard boiling farm fresh eggs. This morning I did steel cut oats for my husband and used the overnight timer for the first time. He reported in that they were excellent:-)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1566 on: October 18, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
ketchup - what Whole 30 things are you making in your Instant Pot? So far, I've only tried a whole chicken, stock with the bones and hard boiling farm fresh eggs. This morning I did steel cut oats for my husband and used the overnight timer for the first time. He reported in that they were excellent:-)
So far all we've made are that turkey/gravy recipe, some basic bone-in chicken thighs, steamed artichokes, absurdly-overcooked broccoli (my fault...), and this lamb shanks recipe: http://gutsybynature.com/2015/08/26/lamb-shanks-with-ginger-and-figs-pressure-cooker-aip/

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1567 on: October 18, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
whole 30 in my instant pot:

beef stew
bone broth
cauliflour steamed with bone broth then pureed into soup
veggie broth
steamed or roasted potatoes
steamed sweet potatoes
steamed chicken breasts to use in other recipes (salads, etc)
butternut squash steamed (then blended with coconutmilk for soup)
hard boiled eggs

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1568 on: October 18, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »

Spaghetti squash
Curry
Soups and stews
Chili
Unstuffed cabbage
Pulled pork
Pot roast
Chile verde

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #1569 on: October 19, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
I am on day 15 of my first Whole 30. No one I know is doing it with me, although a friend who I only talk to on Facebook finished her first one a few days ago. She's been my virtual support partner so far.

I must say, in reading the timeline I was feeling like I don't quite fit a lot of it. My first day was the worst, and I've felt pretty level since then except for some days of gassiness (tapering off, THANK GOD). Until yesterday - day 14. I was sleep deprived due to a nutty two year old who'd been awake multiple times the night before (including off and on from 2 until bloody 4 am), and I was just feeling so DONE with the program. In the evening I was having dark thoughts of going to Tim Hortons today and getting an iced capp and a double chocolate donut, my weakness. Thinking, what the hell am I doing this for? Why can't I just treat myself? Luckily this morning I am feeling much stronger and committed to the program. I am looking forward to this Tiger Blood arriving soon.

I really want to weigh myself, but am trying to focus on my NSVs so far. I've been trying to compare eating whatever I want to work. From before I had my first child to now (almost 5 years), I've gained 20 lbs. Just before starting the W30, I'd been letting myself eat whatever I wanted, thinking, I'm "treating myself", that if I like it, then that's fine. Then I started comparing it to working - sure, I'd *like* to not work every day. That would be awesome. But if I started just not showing up for work, or leaving early, then I'd get fired (not the good kind of FIREd). I might *like* to eat sugary junk and chocolate every day. But if I do that, I gain weight, feel like crap, not have energy, etc. And I want to be here for my kids as long as possible. Plus I figure if my husband and I are working so hard to retire early, I should try to do my best to make sure I'm at my healthiest to enjoy a long life in retirement with him!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1570 on: October 19, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
Hi NorthernDreamer!

Be proud of yourself for not giving in - and also doing it by yourself! It is really hard if you do not have a support network. Please use this thread and us as well!

The eating whatever/work analogy is a good one, I hadn't thought of it like that. It does get easier! Do you have any strategies in place for when you are feeling low? A compliant treat (preferably non-food)? The opportunity to take a few minutes to yourself?

How is everyone else doing?

Dinner tonight is butternut squash noodles with meat sauce :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1571 on: October 19, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
Made this last night: http://www.cleaneatingveggiegirl.com/2016/01/12/aip-paleo-avocado-turmeric-chicken-salad/  Very hearty and delicious.  Ate it as a romaine wrap.  Doubled it for leftovers, even though I'm always afraid of avocado leftovers.

GF weighed herself and she is down 11lbs (!) on a week of AIP.  Some of that has to be water weight, and she in no way expects that rate to continue, but her body definitely likes what we're doing.

We've also re-embraced kombucha (a first for her, old hat for me), which means I need to start brewing at home again, because that crap is stupidly pricey at the store.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1572 on: October 23, 2016, 10:25:39 PM »
Im at the end of day 28.
Im doing ok. Im not sure I can say that I notice any symptom improvements.
I have lost weight, 14 lbs.
I think my clothes fit differently and I had to tighten my fitbit and my ring is looser. So maybe I have reduced some inflammation or swollen-ness. One of my sports bras that was TOOOOO tight over the summer is wearable again.

And I havent cheated, which means Ive been eating radically different than before.
But Im having cravings. Im also fairly certain that the ghee isnt working for me.
The problem I have is that Im on this medication that makes me constipated, so results are not as clear cut as they should be.

I havent actually read the Whole 30 books, so maybe I should...not sure what Im going to do after day 30. continue? trial?

anybody have stories to share of day 31+ ?

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #1573 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »
Hi N.  I'd use your energy levels and sleep quality as indicators of whether you should continue on a Whole45 or 60 or not. If you're having cravings, it might be good to continue until those diminish or it will make re-intro tougher.   The fact that you're down 14 lbs. suggests to me that you were reacting to some food you were eating before, so I would plan on a careful and methodical re-intro when you do decide to do so. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1574 on: October 24, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Good news to report! I'm down 11 pounds on the Whole30 I just finished 4 days ago. I'm planning on eating Paleo/Whole 30ish for the next 4 weeks to see if I continue to see gains (drops!). This was my 5th Whole 30, I think. And I have now officially lost 50lbs. My BMI is now 30. Getting there! Almost JUST overweight instead of Obese....gah! Press on, team!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1575 on: October 24, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
Hi N.  I'd use your energy levels and sleep quality as indicators of whether you should continue on a Whole45 or 60 or not. If you're having cravings, it might be good to continue until those diminish or it will make re-intro tougher.   The fact that you're down 14 lbs. suggests to me that you were reacting to some food you were eating before, so I would plan on a careful and methodical re-intro when you do decide to do so.

This :) Sometimes the changes are internal or gradual so you don't notice things are better as well. For my first whole 30, I tried Dairy and then gluten and had such horrible reactions I went back to whole 30 for quite some time. If there are things like say, chickpeas, that are part of your old diet that you really miss, you can introduce them and see how it goes. Most likely it will be the dairy/sugar/grains/alcohol that will cause a noticeable reaction unless you have specific sensitivities to other things.

Just make sure when you are reintroducing foods, don't mix them. It's tempting to have a piece of cake but that would introduce dairy, gluten, sugar all at once and if you react you won't know to what.

If you are still dealing with cravings and the psychological side of things you might want to just stay on it a little longer. They say "30 days" so people are willing to try, but it is really a lifestyle change in a lot of ways and sometimes it takes longer than that.

1967mama - WAY TO GO!!! Those are AWESOME results! It's been so great seeing your journey and how far you have come :) Keep up the great work!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1576 on: October 25, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »
well, today is day 30.
I went off program yesterday and today. Yesterday my daughter was admitted to the hospital and had surgery. I actually did not have a chance to eat all day and then I had dinner in the hospital cafeteria. I didnt go crazy but I had roasted veggies that Im sure had butter and I had a tablespoon of ketchup. Today I had hospital room service with my daughter and I had gravy on my turkey and potatoes for lunch. Im not beating myself up. I didnt eat bread or get soda or have desserts or anything else, but it was definitely NC.

We got out today and on my way home I was thinking, well, should I just go and have a big cheat day and get pizza? I normally love pizza. Maybe because Im just really wiped out emotionally and super tired, but I dont actually really want to go get pizza. I kinda do, because pizza, but really I dont, because symptoms.

I also need to W30 proof my fridge and cupboards more. I need more choices. I like to buy lemon juice from costco which is compliant, and add it to my fizzy water. I ran out, and the back up we happened to have is a conventional lemon juice that is full of junk. Why is most food full of junk??? ykwim.  For me, planning ahead is key.

So, I think Ill return to W30 for the rest of the day and maybe do another 30.
I put a roast beef in the instant pot with some carrots and celery.
Im having a coffee with whipped coconut milk.
Im going to keep on keeping on.

about the weight-I would like to lose about 100 lbs, so Im not sure if the 14 Ive lost so far (couldnt weigh myself today or yesterday) are indicative of reactions, or the calorie reduction due to not eating all those extra grains/sugar/dairy.

I also did not get enough sleep over the last 2 days, so I need to go take a nap! oh-daughter had a laproscopic surgery and was released today, she is going to be totally fine! she also needs rest!!! but good outcome!!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1577 on: October 26, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »
N - you made some great choices there, under the circumstances. Glad to hear that your daughter is on the mend.

I got some bad/sad news about my son today about some learning disabilities and of course, turned to food. I am pretty happy, in hindsight, that my go-to stress food was 1/2 a box of organic raspberries and a Lara Bar.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1578 on: October 26, 2016, 01:46:49 AM »
N and 1967mama I think you've both been dealing with a lot of stress and have done really well.

I completely failed my reintroduction. Like you N, I wasn't noticing anything hugely different at the end of my W30 and after a week of trying to reintroduce slowly and methodically I failed completely with a stressful weekend of long travel and family. What I did notice then was that for 3 days where I was eating as before I felt AWFUL. I felt really sick and weak and dizzy the whole time. I was kind of blaming it on illness from my kids (the stuff they're bringing home from daycare right now is ridiculous - it's been nonstop illness for 2 months) but I really think it was sugar and bread.

So one thing I've learned about myself is the 100% solution (which was in an article a few pages ago) is what works for me. The minute I had to start evaluating can I/can'tI/when/how much, I lost the ability to stick to it at all. So yesterday I started again. This time it's going to be a modified W30, with chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans allowed and a single cappucino per day. Okay, so it's not a W30, but I'm going to keep calling it one because that works for me.

I'm going to set the end date as the end of next month so it will be umm, 36 days? I just found trying to work out what day I was on really annoying and the end of a month is much easier to calculate to!

So then it's a.... non-W36? Am I still allowed to hang out here with that?

But this 100% thing has been enlightening. I've actually introduced it into other aspects of my life - budgeting, study, sex life... Yep, indeed. :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1579 on: October 26, 2016, 02:47:19 AM »
Sending everyone big hugs right now. You are all amazing and much stronger than you know.

N - CONGRATS ON YOUR DAY 30!! You have had some major challenges and you did the best you could under the circumstances and you should be so proud of yourself. Sending lots of healing, positive thoughts for your daughter and family.

If you decide to extend your whole 30, We'll be here to support you :)

1967mama - I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. I've had some experience teaching students with learning disabilities and coming up with home strategies and such. if you need any support, please PM me. It is huge that you responded with raspberries and lara bars, thinking back to when you first started you probably would have handled it very differently. You have made so many awesome changes for yourself and your family.

screwit - Reintro is hard. Documenting everything is important because you tend to adopt to a new "Baseline" very easy, feeling good becomes your new normal so you don't really realize things have gotten different/better until you do the reintro and see how the foods affect you when you are operating for a more balanced baseline.

Ultimately you have to do what works for you, this is what the whole process is about. If that means having some legumes or the occasional cappuccino and they don't make you feel bad, that is great! We definitely aren't going to kick you out because you are doing it your own way :) The only thing I try and do is if I do share something that is not compliant, I try to remember to state it right up front. We're all on different paths/stages of the journey :)

When I'm not "actively" doing a whole 30 I include the occasional legumes, the occasional bit of rice/rice noodle when we are eating out or even the occasional bowl of popcorn. These are all planned and I thoroughly enjoy them. It's really the gluten/dairy/sugar that affects me so those are the ones I try and stay away from the most.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1580 on: October 27, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
Hello everyone, I think I would like to try another W30 :-)  I did one successfully back in February but really didn't have a chance to feel the benefits of the program because I was sick with a terrible cold for 2 weeks of it and had zero energy.  Since then, I've been back to eating lots of sugar and gaining weight :-(  Sugar is my biggest downfall.

So the plan is to clean out the fridge and pantry this weekend, plan my meals and stock up on W30 foods, and start on Monday.  A couple of specific issues I am facing:

- I can't eat avocados - I think I'm allergic to them.  I've had several bad reactions (severe stomach cramps) at the end of my last W30 and a couple of times after that, so I stopped eating them.

- I think I will also need to exclude dried fruit from the W30 as the high sugar content triggers terrible cravings for me

- I still haven't found a good milk substitute for my morning coffee, so I will probably switch to tea with lemon again (unless someone can suggest something else - I tried coconut milk/oil but it didn't work for me).

Any tips and suggestions are most welcome!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1581 on: October 28, 2016, 11:04:48 PM »
For coffee, I put a couple tablespoons of the coconut "cream" the rises to the top of a can of coconut milk, into the blender with a bit of the hot coffee. whiz it up for a minute, then add that back into the rest of the coffee.

or maybe you could try cashew milk? its not too hard to make at home.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #1582 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
ZiziBP.....
the 3 foods you are having problems with  are all  short chain carbohydrates.
You may have a form of IBS known as FODMAPS.

http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/health-nutrition/low-fodmap-diet/

I have this......no dairy/grains.....low fruit .
Good luck.

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #1583 on: October 29, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
ZiZiBP, +1 for Debbie's FODMAP theory.  That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your list. Check out Monash University's food app and information. 
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1584 on: October 30, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »
Sooooo I was a bit stupid in the past few days. I had sex with my pants on and found a recipe for these amazing cookies made only of bananas,  almond butter and cocoa powder.

They are DELICIOUS.

Buuuuuuut I have an already-noted sensitivity to almond butter and in over indulging my knees are now so painful I can barely get in and out of chairs!  Grrrrr I'm so angry at myself - I KNEW this would happen but I still went ahead and did it.

So now I guess I will get to see how long it takes to work this out of my system,  at least enough that whatever kind of inflammation is going on goes down.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1585 on: October 30, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »
For coffee, I put a couple tablespoons of the coconut "cream" the rises to the top of a can of coconut milk, into the blender with a bit of the hot coffee. whiz it up for a minute, then add that back into the rest of the coffee.

or maybe you could try cashew milk? its not too hard to make at home.

Cashew milk sounds great but unfortunately I don't have a blender.  I think it will be tea with lemon instead 😊

Debbie and LIB, never heard of Fodmaps.  Sounds interesting.  I thought that maybe I have latex allergy (latex fruit syndrome) because the two things that cause me the most cramps are papayas and avocados? In the past I also had trouble with bananas but I can eat them now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:25:23 PM by ZiziPB »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1586 on: October 31, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
screwit - I'm going to go back a few pages and read that article I posted on 100%...thanks for the reminder.

I've completely come off the rails in the last 2 days, so I'm starting another Whole30 again on November 1st. This will be my 5th, I think?? Losing track!  Much stress in my life, atm, and eating like crap is just making it worse! I"m moody, miserable, over tired yet insomniac....grrrrrrrr!

I have so much to learn still.

ETA: Link to article screwit referred to: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:29:46 AM by 1967mama »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1587 on: October 31, 2016, 07:31:24 AM »
First day for me today.  Decided not to wait until November 1.  Monday seemed like a better day to start.  Prepped all my lunches and dinners for the week yesterday (which I normally do on Sundays anyway) and I'm off to the races.  Black tea this morning instead of coffee. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1588 on: October 31, 2016, 08:01:19 AM »
I'll join you for another round 1967mama and ZiziPB!

Ugh - I just opened the bag of Halloween Candy that I have had in the pantry since July. Soooo glad to be getting it out of the house. While it is full of what use to be my favorites, I have ZERO interest in eating any. The smell alone -  that plastic, artificial, chemical smell has me wanting  to toss my breakfast. Actually, I might keep smelling it throughout the day. Talk about aversion therapy!

So mama and zizi, what are your goals and aspirations for this time around?

I feel like with the change in weather I have been having trouble getting in all the veggies I want to. I also have gotten into the habit of really having one main meal a day and a snack. I just haven't really been hungry, so I want to get back into the habit of three meals (even if they are smaller ones) Also, I think it be time to actually up the exercise. I get out for a walk in the forest with the pups every day for at least an hour - but now that I have the weight loss kind of in hand (and starting to stall), I think I need to actually build some muscle.

Ohh I made these last night Sweet Potato meatballs!: http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/pork-sweet-potato-meatballs

They are awesome! I didn't have any cilantro. I fried up some reg. onion with cabbage and added that to the meat and sweet potato.

I had some leftover lemon grass, ginger, thai chili and garlic I blended up with the coconut aminos and a splash of fish sauce and added that to the meat mixture too.

Served it with some wok fried cabbage and some kimchi :) Reminds me of wonton filling, just without the dough wrapper!

She actually has some pretty good looking Whole 30 recipes I'm excited to try.

What did you prep for the week, Zizi? I need some inspiration!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1589 on: October 31, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
Hello swick!  Glad you are joining us.  For me, the biggest issue is SUGAR.  I crave it all the time and once I start, I can't stop.  So for this round of Whole 30, my goal is to tame the sugar dragon.  I want to focus 100% on that.  Which for me means no dried fruit.

For lunch I made sort of a sloppy joe with ground turkey (sauteed onions and garlic, a grated carrot and  a tablespoon of tomato paste).  I portioned it and packaged with roasted butternut squash and steamed green beans.  For dinner, I made beef and cabbage curry (but I also added a couple of cubed potatoes).  I hate cooking when I get home from work in the evening, so I always make sure that I have dinner ready to be reheated.  In case you're wondering, I don't mind eating the same thing every day for a week :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1590 on: October 31, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
  In case you're wondering, I don't mind eating the same thing every day for a week :-)

Ahh I'm jealous :) I could easily eat the same thing for a week and be happy. Hubby needs more variety and he always takes dinner leftovers for lunch, so we can't have it too many days in a row. When he was gone on business last week I made a big pot of Tom Ka and a big pot of Clam Chowder and happily had it all week. On the bright side, he was able to do a costco trip on his way home, so it'll make it much easier this time around!

I hear you about not wanting to cook after getting home from work. I do have to get better at meal planning/prep I tend to wing it, which more often than not means scrambling whatever leftovers are in the fridge and cobbling them together for a meal. It's a useful skill, but one I shouldn't rely on as much as I do :)

Have you had a chance to look into the FODMAPS stuff yet? It might be an idea to dow a low FODMAPS version of whole 30 I think there is a shopping list and guide lines on the site. I know I have to watch my nut intake, or I get a weird rash on my chest.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1591 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
Yes, spent some time over the weekend and this morning looking at the FODMAPs info, and I just don't think that this is my problem.  I had a period of about a year in my early 20s when I probably would have given you a different answer but nowadays, my digestive system works generally well.  The more I read about it, the more I think that latex fruit syndrome is the issue I am experiencing.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1592 on: October 31, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
That is good to hear since a low FODMAPS diet is quite a bit more restrictive than even the whole 30.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1593 on: October 31, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
Sounds like fun!  I have been meaning to do one of these, so I will join in for November.  I usually eat a lot of vegetables & few processed foods, so that part is okay.  I think the hard parts for me will be no dairy & no alcohol!  It's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving dinner.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1594 on: October 31, 2016, 04:32:15 PM »
Welcome, Hotstreak!

Please let us know if you have any questions as we get started! Thanksgiving is doable if you plan ahead :)

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1595 on: October 31, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
Tried a new recipe today called Pizza Pie
http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

I added mushrooms when i sauteed the onions and sausage. Super tasty! I ate it for dinner before heading to a halloween party with the kids. The hostess offered me a drink and I though it was La Croix so I took one, and it was so delicious! Half way through it, I read the can and it was San Pellegrino and had sugar. UGH! Annoying! I should have noticed right away when it was soo good! LOL. I stopped when I realized it had sugar, though.

I ate some canned corn today too, but on purpose. I have always loved corn so I thought Id test it. I have been thinking about what else I want to trial...I dont miss beans at all. I dont even really miss soy sauce. I have the coconut aminos. Sometimes I like a bowl of split pea soup, but that is at most a couple times a year. I do like peanut butter, but it often gives me headaches, but then, I usually eat it on bread and sometimes is the kind with added palm oil. Im not sure if I should trial it by itself just to see, or if I just keep on avoiding it. ?? I really only like it as part of a pbj or with chocolate. and if Im not eating those things either...well...

I admit that I was feeling tempted by the halloween candy today. Every time I say no thanks to some food, I feel reminded about how much junk I was eating before. Im really working on making better choices and setting myself up for success, like eating before the party and making foods ahead. Im trying to always have some cooked spagetti squash, cooked sweet potatoes, and butternut soup in the fridge because those are very filling but dont cook quickly. Im trying to have some cooked proteins in the fridge too.

Im probably going to stick very close to Whole 30 for November as well. I will probably trial dairy and wheat, but Im not expecting those to go well :) I stopped using ghee. Im definitely going to want W30 thanksgiving ideas.  :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1596 on: November 01, 2016, 04:09:29 AM »
Day 2 for me today.  Day 1 didn't go well - the on and off migraine I was battling over the weekend returned with full vengeance on Monday.  I'm sure that not having my usual coffee in the morning contributed to it.  I felt so sick that I was in bed and asleep before 8 pm.   Feeling much better this morning and hoping that today is a better day :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1597 on: November 01, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »
November 1st = Day 1 for me! I don't feel like it will be too hard because I'm just coming off a Whole 30 that ended week ago. Still need training wheels!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1598 on: November 01, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
Day 2 for me today.  Day 1 didn't go well - the on and off migraine I was battling over the weekend returned with full vengeance on Monday.  I'm sure that not having my usual coffee in the morning contributed to it.  I felt so sick that I was in bed and asleep before 8 pm.   Feeling much better this morning and hoping that today is a better day :-)

BTW, my snacking habits were so bad since I did the first Whole 30 back in February that I gained almost 11 pounds since then!  Hoping to shed most of it and hoping to change my habits (I eat a lot of sweet, sugary snacks).

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1599 on: November 01, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
Good luck!! November W30ers!!