Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427027 times)

jordanread

Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1500 on: September 20, 2016, 08:27:32 AM »
I'm telling you, until I went primal, I had no idea the awesomeness that one can create with pumpkins. And most people just think jack-o-lanterns or pumpkin pie. So many missed opportunities.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1501 on: September 20, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »
@jordanread thank you for the recipe! I love pumpkin season. There is no such thing as tinned pumpkin over here, so I usually have to wait until they're in season. Actually that goes for most foods here.

@swick I'm doing really well at the moment.  Day 10! I even managed a birthday party at the weekend.  Pretended to drink my glass of bubbly with the toasts, snuck into my bag of nuts when all the food that was out was cakes and chips. Picked the right food at the bbq afterwards.

1967mama that's exactly it! Decision fatigue. And with me it eventually combines with my inner 5 year old "you can't tell me what to do!". If I'm constantly evaluating and deciding then I can also rebel against,  um,  myself. That's pretty much why I failed at whole 30 the first time. At the party this weekend I didn't even entertain a "if only" or "how much could be ok". It was just flat out no to everything that wasn't straight meat,  fruit or vegetable.

There is a great book about decision making called Willpower. I highly recommend it.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1502 on: September 20, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »
@jordanread thank you for the recipe! I love pumpkin season. There is no such thing as tinned pumpkin over here, so I usually have to wait until they're in season. Actually that goes for most foods here.

@swick I'm doing really well at the moment.  Day 10! I even managed a birthday party at the weekend.  Pretended to drink my glass of bubbly with the toasts, snuck into my bag of nuts when all the food that was out was cakes and chips. Picked the right food at the bbq afterwards.

1967mama that's exactly it! Decision fatigue. And with me it eventually combines with my inner 5 year old "you can't tell me what to do!". If I'm constantly evaluating and deciding then I can also rebel against,  um,  myself. That's pretty much why I failed at whole 30 the first time. At the party this weekend I didn't even entertain a "if only" or "how much could be ok". It was just flat out no to everything that wasn't straight meat,  fruit or vegetable.

There is a great book about decision making called Willpower. I highly recommend it.

Way to go, screwit! Those are some BIG wins and realizations! It sounds like you learned a lot your last attempt and armed yourself with some great strategies! Socializing is the hardest part of doing this and where most people stumble. You had a plan in place and nailed it. GOOD JOB!!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1503 on: September 20, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
Hi all!  DW and I have started our reintroduction.  I've been pretty lucky, no adverse effects.  DW has confirmed she has a severe gluten intolerance.  We ate some bread and she got severe cramping and all the other lovely things that accompany that fun.  :-(

After that experience, even the thought of trying pizza nauseates her and I'm being the strict one saying no no no!  HA!

Sometime this week we are making taco salads, the new add in item will be black beans, a big fave around our house pre-W30.

We have had a couple of pretty delish compliant soups the past 2 weeks, I will get those recipes and share with everyone.

Cheers!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1504 on: September 20, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome back. This is definitely one of the friendliest places on the forum:-))

Day 2 has also been terrific and ironically, I slept like the dead last night! Yay for good sleeps.

My teenaged son just got out Kettle Chips and made some dip from scratch ... Would have been diving into that for sure but instead I had some tea and a dried fruit bar and feel completely fine walking away from those chips. Ahhhhh, Whole30...glad to be back in your clutches!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1505 on: September 20, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »
Hi all!  DW and I have started our reintroduction.  I've been pretty lucky, no adverse effects.  DW has confirmed she has a severe gluten intolerance.  We ate some bread and she got severe cramping and all the other lovely things that accompany that fun.  :-(

After that experience, even the thought of trying pizza nauseates her and I'm being the strict one saying no no no!  HA!

Sometime this week we are making taco salads, the new add in item will be black beans, a big fave around our house pre-W30.

We have had a couple of pretty delish compliant soups the past 2 weeks, I will get those recipes and share with everyone.

Cheers!

Timely MDA article on legumes

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1506 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
Thanks for posting that article, Horsepoor. I've always wondered if soaking really makes a difference. Apparently it does! Haha!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1507 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:57 AM »
Good Morning everyone!

Wrightstuff - Bummer about your wife's gluten allergy. At least she knows! I'm curious how she will do with dairy and her allergies. Glad to hear you don't have the same issues. Your life is going to change though if your wife happens to do most of the cooking and she can't do gluten, just ask my hubby! We have settled into a pattern where we don't have it at home and if we go out for dinner he gets whatever he wants and I try not to be too jealous :) Although he's coming around because the last couple of times he has said you know, the bready/gluten thing I'm eating with it doesn't really do much more me or the dish.

1967mama - way to go on resisting the chips! Oh, how is your daughter doing? Didn't she do the first whole 30 with you? I'm curious how she is doing a year on!

horsepoor - thanks for the link! I've never really been too concerned with beans, probably because I haven't really noticed any ill-effects from them. I don't have them too often but I don't sweat it if they are in something or hubs wants me to make something special.

We have been really enjoying the last of the lettuces that have been coming in our CSA (ends next week, going to be in super sad veggie land after!) I have been chunking up oven roasted turkey breast and sauteeing it in a little bacon fat and some cajun seasoning and having that on top of salads with a homemade vinegarette dressing. Pretty sure I could live on that salad!

Hope y'all are having a great day!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1508 on: September 21, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »
Hey ya'll, I'm almost out of groceries, and definitely out of inspiration, but I need to batch cook if I want to survive the dreaded "fuck its"
:D
Any suggestions?
I don't have an instant pot, but I do have a slow cooker.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1509 on: September 21, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
Sounds like a perfect excuse to make a big old Kalua pork! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

It's still by "go-to" recipe if I want to have protein sorted out for the week because there are so many quick things you can do with it.

Although I am REALLY liking the idea of jordanreads pumpkin chili!

There are some good sounding recipes here, but I haven't dug into them yet, mostly because I have no freezer space! https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-freezable-whole30-recipes/

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1510 on: September 21, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
:D Thanks, Swick! That's tempting!
I'll check out that link, too. :D
(And seriously, that pumpkin chili might end up happening over yonder too hahah!)

jordanread

« Reply #1511 on: September 21, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »
Also, that pumpkin chili freezes great. Glad people are liking the idea of that recipe. Let me know when you all try it, and let me know. Sometimes I even skip the avocado topping.

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1512 on: September 21, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »

Timely MDA article on legumes.

[/quote]

Thanks Horsepoor.  DW is still having some issues we think due to the gluten on Satruday so a soak might be beneficial!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1513 on: September 21, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »

Timely MDA article on legumes.

Thanks Horsepoor.  DW is still having some issues we think due to the gluten on Satruday so a soak might be beneficial!
[/quote]

Wrightsuff - I would  NOT reintroduce ANYTHING if your wife is still having issues from the gluten she tried. You went through too much work to muddy your results. Her body needs to be back on track before you reinto anything else. When I got smacked by the gluten, it was a couple of days of severe symptoms, feeling like shit for a week and then eating and feeling good for a few days before I tried anything else. It's so important you don't want to rush it.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1514 on: September 21, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »
Hey, Im new to the thread. Ive never done a Whole30 before, although I have, over the years, experimented with elimination diets of various categories. Never all at once, though. Actually, I have tried all at once, but couldnt cope/figure it out and fail miserably.

I have managed to be strictly dairy free when I was breastfeeding my son, because he reacted so badly to dairy in my milk. That was years ago. Recently I did a strict dairy elimination for 30 days with my daughter. She has decided to avoid it permanently. I know I should too, but Im weak!

Anyway, if Im totally honest, I have a lot of symptoms that I hope could be relieved by improving my diet. Also, I would like to lose a lot of weight. Im feeling pretty motivated to make some healthy changes, and I would llike to do a W30. Ive never given up sugar before, so that will be fun. ha!

My start date will be this Saturday the 24th.

Im scared. how do you live without chocolate?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
Hi N! I flit in and out of here, and am currently doing a semi W30. I'll try to make that clear if I post updates, since it won't be following all the "rules."
Re: chocolate
Well, you can still do raw cocoa! That plus some coconut milk is pretty grand. But it is what W30 folks call "sex with your pants on" in that it doesn't truly break the habit you've formed with food, even if it's "compliant" (a word that makes me shudder, if I'm honest).
Just saying that as you get further on your journey, chocolate in its raw form isn't a total no-go!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1516 on: September 21, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Im scared. how do you live without chocolate?
I've learned to enjoy individual pieces of 100% cacao baker's chocolate.  Probably not for everyone.  They go well with cinnamon rooibos tea.

Disclaimer: I've never really had much of a sweet tooth.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1517 on: September 21, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »
Welcome N!

We are here to support you :) I'll be totally honest, your first few days are probably going to SUCK.

Do as much prep as you can ahead of time as far as meal planning, hiding/tossing things that will tempt you. Make sure your family is on board or at least aware of what you are doing. If you can find someone IRL to do this with, you will have a much easier time. Maybe your daughter will join you? Also, start cutting down on the sugar now - going cold turkey sucks and will make you feel that much worse.

Now I don't mean to scare you off it is totally worth doing and for many of us have been LIFE CHANGING. I figured out my chronic sinus issues, my allergies, my fibromyalgia. And I've lost 73 lbs from when I started my first whole 30 last September. Is it hard? Yep. Will you have some struggles? Yep. is it worth it? HELL YES!

RE: Chocolate. Raw cacao definitely fits into my life when I am not doing whole 30. Tell you what, you do the whole 30 and I'll share a few of my favorite chocolate recipes with you!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1518 on: September 21, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
@orvell - do you have some frozen chicken breasts or thighs? Throw them in the crockpot, frozen. Throw in lots of spices, a bit of chicken broth or water, and some chopped up veggie bits- onion, sad looking peppers, celery, tomato - to add moisture. Leave on high for 4-6 hrs. It's so much easier for me when I have the protein ready.

A salad idea: dice whatever raw vegetables you have in the fridge into a big salad bowl. Mix up a can of tuna or salmon with some homemade whole30 mayo from the website. YUM!

A snack idea: a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit. I keep nuts in jars in the fridge. Easy to see to spark my brain. Also, I try to keep 1/2 a dozen hard boiled eggs in the fridge for emergency snacking.

@swick - 1967daughter is still doing great. Lost around 32 lbs on successive whole 30's and is now doing 21 day fix and loves the addition of workouts. She has such a great basis for a lifetime of good eating. Has about 10-15lbs to go. Thanks for asking!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1519 on: September 21, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
Oh my goodness! This curry is AH - MAZING! I finally broke down and bought a tiny bottle of Thai Red Curry Paste ... It's not been used in my cooking repertoire ... Until now!

It was the only special ingredient I had to make this amazing recipe:

http://www.tasteslovely.com/coconut-chicken-thai-curry/

So quick! I made it at the same time as my whole chicken cooked in the Instant Pot.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1520 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »

@swick - 1967daughter is still doing great. Lost around 32 lbs on successive whole 30's and is now doing 21 day fix and loves the addition of workouts. She has such a great basis for a lifetime of good eating. Has about 10-15lbs to go. Thanks for asking!

Wahoo 1967Daughter! That is awesome, your a good role model, mama!

The curry sounds delish, I love Thai curry dishes so will have to give this recipe a try!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1521 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »
Day 17 and feeling good! My skin issues have not cleared up completely, but doing much better and I've got good energy. Still some quirky digestive issues.

Made some delicious carrot-ginger-squash soup with coconut milk. Trying to find more less-meat recipes.

Overall, this is mostly fun! Much easier than I thought it would be.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1522 on: September 22, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »
Day 17 and feeling good! My skin issues have not cleared up completely, but doing much better and I've got good energy. Still some quirky digestive issues.

Made some delicious carrot-ginger-squash soup with coconut milk. Trying to find more less-meat recipes.

Way to go Cheddarpie! I do a Thai red curry with veggies and coconut milk, meat free and awesome :) You can serve it over zoodles, butternut squash noodles, roasted caluflower, caulirice. Basically, it is just a stirfry of any and all veggies that look good or I have to use up, Some red curry paste and a can of coconut milk. Tonight was 2 different types of zucchini, onion, pepper, garlic, an Asian veggie I don't know the name of that came in our CSA, some fresh spinach, some beet greens.

I don;t remember what (or if) you said what your skin issues were, I had chronic Eczema when I lived on the coast. It took actually moving for it to totally clear up. Only mentioning because I noticed you are in Seattle.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1523 on: September 23, 2016, 01:23:27 AM »
Red curry paste and a bit of coconut milk to spruce up a pumpkin soup is also pretty amazing. Just in case you hadn't tried that one yet!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1524 on: September 23, 2016, 07:41:11 AM »
Here is one of the 2 soups we had during our Whole 30.  The other soup was even better but it is buried in DW's pinterest!

It is a minestrone soup.  We added italian seasoning to the pork.  You could use turkey or beef I suppose, or go meatless!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:42:48 AM by wrightstuff »

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1525 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »

Way to go Cheddarpie! I do a Thai red curry with veggies and coconut milk, meat free and awesome :) You can serve it over zoodles, butternut squash noodles, roasted caluflower, caulirice. Basically, it is just a stirfry of any and all veggies that look good or I have to use up, Some red curry paste and a can of coconut milk. Tonight was 2 different types of zucchini, onion, pepper, garlic, an Asian veggie I don't know the name of that came in our CSA, some fresh spinach, some beet greens.

I don;t remember what (or if) you said what your skin issues were, I had chronic Eczema when I lived on the coast. It took actually moving for it to totally clear up. Only mentioning because I noticed you are in Seattle.

Thanks swick! I had curry last night.

Where did you move from/to? My eczema started after I moved to Seattle from New York in 2012. It's better on whole30 but not gone yet. I really hope I can figure it out with diet because moving is not an option!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1526 on: September 24, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »

Thanks swick! I had curry last night.

Where did you move from/to? My eczema started after I moved to Seattle from New York in 2012. It's better on whole30 but not gone yet. I really hope I can figure it out with diet because moving is not an option!

I was born in Victoria, so dealt with it from birth (Inherited from my mom) When we moved to the Interior of BC when I was 6, both of ours cleared up (my mom had had severe eczema most of her life) Mine flared up again when I moved back to the coast in my early 20's and didn't clear up until I left again.

The only time as a child I had some relief was when the doctor cut out dairy and my mom switched to goats milk *shudders* That was back in the day when the stuff was HORRIBLE, still kinda is. But I wouldn't drink it and she got tired of fighting with me so back to cows milk and the eczema got worse.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1527 on: September 24, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info -- I am really hoping dairy is not one of my issues, but I think it probably is. I've also had "chicken skin" on my arms for as long as I can remember (at least 25 years) and it's now almost totally cleared up on Whole30. Which is great, but thoughts of cheese make me sad ...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1528 on: September 24, 2016, 12:26:28 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info -- I am really hoping dairy is not one of my issues, but I think it probably is. I've also had "chicken skin" on my arms for as long as I can remember (at least 25 years) and it's now almost totally cleared up on Whole30. Which is great, but thoughts of cheese make me sad ...

Chicken skin...hmmm you know that is one that I haven't thought of, I had the same for most of my life, and I don't now! It's not something I generally think about so I didn't really notice. cool.

Yeah, I LOVE cheese, and I don't avoid it completely I just know that if I have it, I will get congested. I may flare up my eczema, I will get a scratchy throat. My sinuses will go to shit.  - but most of the effects for me last about 12 hours.

So knowing all that, I decide if it is worth it or not, most of the time, the answer in no. If I decide something IS worth it, I savour the heck out of it.

That's the cool thing about doing the whole 30 (and why doing  the reintro systematically is so important) It gives you personal knowledge about how different foods affect your body ad allows you to make an informed choice.

How is everyone doing this fine Saturday?

Day 22 here. Food boredom is starting to set in, last week has been super busy so we've been sticking to quick basics. Feeling the itch to experiment :)

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1529 on: September 25, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
I'm on day 20 -- making a big batch of pumpkin chili in my slow cooker. Thanks for the recipe! I am trying it with squash and pumpkin pieces instead of the puree. Feeling very bored with my food choices so this will be a good change!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1530 on: September 25, 2016, 11:43:42 PM »
Today was my start day and I did well, until I realized that corn on the cob is off limits. And I had already eaten it :) I did not use it as an excuse to eat other non compliant foods though, so that is good. I wont count today, but will start with tomorrow.

Did a grocery shop today and stocked up on veggies and some meat and eggs. I have a bunch of chicken skins and fat trimmings in the freezer that I will render this week to use for cooking and flavoring, and Ill make a soup to have for lunches this week too. I feel very optimistic!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1531 on: September 26, 2016, 01:39:44 AM »
Day 15. Survived an impromptu day out with extended family which involved lots of cake and pizzas. This lack of hunger cravings from the sugar highs and lows is amazing - it is so easy to say no when your stomach isn't yelling at your brain the whole time!

I think I may have accidentally gone keto? But I'm not sure how - I'm still eating fruit (although not as much as earlier, only about 1 piece per day) and potatoes (actually quite a lot of those this weekend) but I'm suddenly completely unable to keep up with my need for water and my urine has gone pretty dark. It's got me kinda worried. Thoughts?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1532 on: September 26, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
Day 15. Survived an impromptu day out with extended family which involved lots of cake and pizzas. This lack of hunger cravings from the sugar highs and lows is amazing - it is so easy to say no when your stomach isn't yelling at your brain the whole time!

I think I may have accidentally gone keto? But I'm not sure how - I'm still eating fruit (although not as much as earlier, only about 1 piece per day) and potatoes (actually quite a lot of those this weekend) but I'm suddenly completely unable to keep up with my need for water and my urine has gone pretty dark. It's got me kinda worried. Thoughts?

I think your symptoms are pretty common when switching over, but it's not something I know a lot about. It does sound like you might not be getting enough minerals, potassium, magnesium, sodium and such - especially if you are drinking tons of water.

A pretty common sign onf being in Keto is a metallic taste in your mouth.

Today was my start day and I did well, until I realized that corn on the cob is off limits. And I had already eaten it :) I did not use it as an excuse to eat other non compliant foods though, so that is good. I wont count today, but will start with tomorrow.

Did a grocery shop today and stocked up on veggies and some meat and eggs. I have a bunch of chicken skins and fat trimmings in the freezer that I will render this week to use for cooking and flavoring, and Ill make a soup to have for lunches this week too. I feel very optimistic!

Sounds like you have a plan! Good job on not eating other NC foods once you had the corn, I know one of the hardest habits I had to break was that "Well I screwed up so f*ck it, I'm going to eat all the things" mind trap.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1533 on: September 27, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »
Im on Day 2. Im doing ok. I feel hungry almost all the time, but not particularly craving things. trying to drink a lot of water. Is there a list of which fruit/veg are NOT W30 compliant?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1534 on: September 27, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
Im on Day 2. Im doing ok. I feel hungry almost all the time, but not particularly craving things. trying to drink a lot of water. Is there a list of which fruit/veg are NOT W30 compliant?
Corn, if you consider that a vegetable.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1535 on: September 27, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
I have been considering going back to a W30 for a while now (it's been over 2 years) and I think this thread has given me the push. It will be challenging with a spouse and three children who aren't all on board, but maybe they will just have to eat what I cook ;) I am most excited to cut the dairy and sugar but I'm sure my students will suffer some of my crashes.

Corn, if you consider that a vegetable.

Corn is not considered a vegetable under W30, since botanically it is a grain. They also call out things like potatoes (your regular baking potatoes or red boiling potatoes) and peanuts (not actually a nut, it turns out). Peanuts are legumes, like beans, and contribute to gut permeation.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1536 on: September 27, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »

Corn is not considered a vegetable under W30, since botanically it is a grain. They also call out things like potatoes (your regular baking potatoes or red boiling potatoes) and peanuts (not actually a nut, it turns out). Peanuts are legumes, like beans, and contribute to gut permeation.

The have relaxed the rules a bit on white potatoes. Here is a current list: http://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list.pdf

and seasonl fruit/veggie guidehttp://whole30.com/downloads/seasonal-produce.pdf

N- if you are feeling hungry try to incorporate some good healthy fats (avocado, nuts, coconut)

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1537 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »
Honestly, Im relieved that white potatoes are allowed. I dont plan on eating them 3x a day, but Im so glad I can have them at all. Thanks for the link!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1538 on: September 30, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
Checking in on Day 20

Everything's been easy going. I haven't been getting bored with food at all - I pretty much cook the way I always did,  just drop the rice and pasta. Rice is probably the only thing I really miss. Even bread doesn't bother me!

In the first two weeks I was eating as much,  if not more (in terms of mass at least) than I did before.  That's changed a lot - having lost the sugar highs and lows,  I tend to miss lunch just because I don't notice the time and every meal is just smaller than it was.

I've also "come out" at work. We've had a few events where I was clearly not eating cake or drinking wine.  So I told them the truth - that since my pregnancy I've been having trouble with blood sugar and it had reached such scary levels that I'm doing something fairly dramatic add a first attempt to get it under control. Everyone just took it in stride and it hasn't been an issue.

My pre-prepped meals got me well through the week. The fridge and freezer is looking pretty bare again so tomorrow I'll be off on a big shop.  But tonight I'm just waiting for DH to get home for my slow cooked beef gulasch!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:20:08 PM by screwit »

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1539 on: September 30, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
Its Day 5 for me.
I started out (not having read the book) just thinking it was about eliminating the foods on the NC list.
I didnt even really read anything about the whys or reintro or changing your relationship with food. Doh.
Anyway, read some more on the website. Im doing pretty well, having 3 solid meals with protein and lots of veggies. Im pretty hungry come meal time, so I eat a good plate full, and then I dont really snack. I guess snacking is where I used to have all my junk food. :) Im doing a good job and not dwelling on what I cant have. I havent tried ghee yet. I know its allowed, but historically, I have had trouble with dairy. I miss my faux butter, especially on veggies, but I actually suspect I react to it (earth balance). I might try some ghee.

I made a birthday cake for my kid and didnt eat any. I went to a friends and someone brought donuts, i didnt have any. My friends are all pretty cool and understand what Im doing (most have experience with being Raw, vegan, done w30 themselves, etc). My husband is still skeptical, but whatever.

I have been having a small homemade smoothie in the afternoon or evening, with 2 servings of fruit and water as the only ingredients. I dont think that is illegal, but I think its frowned upon. I didnt really know that until yesterday when I read about not drinking your food.

anyway, doing ok. Saturday is my usual grocery shop, so I will do that tomorrow. Ill probably go to costco this weekend, any good W30 things there?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1540 on: September 30, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
Ill probably go to costco this weekend, any good W30 things there?
Oils (coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil)
Eggs
Avocados
Onions
Potatoes
Carrots
Mushrooms
Canned tuna
Frozen vegetables
Spices
Nuts
Canned coconut milk (recent addition that just showed up at my Costco)
Sometimes there are deals on meat.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1541 on: September 30, 2016, 03:08:40 PM »
anyway, doing ok. Saturday is my usual grocery shop, so I will do that tomorrow. Ill probably go to costco this weekend, any good W30 things there?

Love costco for whole 30 ingredients! Coconut oil, nuts, chia seeds, frozen fruit/berries, avocado oil, meats - prosciutto, sweet potatoes (sometimes have them, sometimes not, but usually the cheapest I can get them for) flax meal, frozen seafood, canned tuna, coffee. Might have the whole 30 book too.

Good job on resisting the goodies :) The changing your relationship with food aspect of it is much bigger than I thought it would be!

Doing great Screwit, keep it up your 2/3 through!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1542 on: October 03, 2016, 11:26:29 PM »
Im starting day 9 tomorrow. I went to costco and got avocado oil, almond flour, frozen fruit, and some other stuff for my family. I also got a fitbit.

I find that a full plate of W30 foods fills me up for about 4.5-5 hours and by then Im pretty hungry again.

I made some ghee and tried a little on sunday. It was delicious. No obvious digestion changes, so Ill have some again tomorrow.

Im pretty sure this is the longest Ive gone without chocolate of any kind in 20 years. :)

How is everyone else doing?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1543 on: October 04, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »
Way to go N!

I love my fitbit! It makes such a difference to your consciousness of movement throughout the day. I also like the challenges they have release, especially the park trails one :)

How are you doing without the chocolate? It's a good time to ponder our favorite foods/indulgences and explore why they are such a big part of our lives.

Finished my latest round, feeling good! I do have to step up my cooking game though. Getting kinda bored with the food and know that with the cold weather, harder to find good fresh veggies and holidays coming up it'll be more challenging.

I have adapted my crockpot chai recipe to leave out the honey (and half the time I don't bother with the tea - if we want to drink it in the evenings) and added some Chaga and Asteralgus. With a bit of frothed coconut or almond milk it is delish and satisfies that "Need warm belly hug" feeling.

How is everyone else doing?

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1544 on: October 04, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
Hello all.  Great to see so many getting through their Whole 30 days intact.

I'm writing today to share a big surprise for me.  Last week I decided to have a "big well known corporation" mocha as a treat.  WOW!  Still not sure what was added but I was so ill i had to go home from work.  I've had some dairy, mostly in cheese form.. I haven't had any chocolate since we finished our first round of W30.  I'm sincerely hoping it was something else in the mix, but I guess there is no going back in some situations. 

Obviously, I've gone back to Whole 30 compliance for the next few days to get my system back to hmmm neutral? I guess.

Keep up the good work everybody!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1545 on: October 04, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
Ouch, wrightstuff! Hope you are back on your feet soon!

I suppose that is what reintro was for. It could have been any number of things, the HFCS in the chocolate syrup, any artificial flavorings and that crap - but I am guessing it was the milk.

I seem to be able to tolerate cheese better than milk. Cheese will give me the stuffed up, blocked sinuses, scratchy throat thing. Milk makes me feel like I got punched in the gut and all the fun effects that come with it. A Latte (no sugar or other stuff) was my first reintro and I had a similar experience.

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1546 on: October 04, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
Ouch, wrightstuff! Hope you are back on your feet soon!

I suppose that is what reintro was for. It could have been any number of things, the HFCS in the chocolate syrup, any artificial flavorings and that crap - but I am guessing it was the milk.

I seem to be able to tolerate cheese better than milk. Cheese will give me the stuffed up, blocked sinuses, scratchy throat thing. Milk makes me feel like I got punched in the gut and all the fun effects that come with it. A Latte (no sugar or other stuff) was my first reintro and I had a similar experience.

I'm really suspecting the 2% milk they used.  They didn't have any soy in stock at the time.  At least my budget won't have to worry about jumping back onto the morning mocha train!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1547 on: October 06, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
Oh wrightstuff that sounds horrible!

I have now only 3 days left and have been planning for a latte on my first day.  You've got me nervous now!

I better go and statt reading up on the reintro phase....

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1548 on: October 06, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
Screwit - One thing I have found super helpful with reintro is spend some time making a list of all the things that you have noticed have gotten better since you started your whole 30. That way you have an idea of what to look for to see if anything gets worse.

Also, take your reintro slow. Try ONE THING see how it affects yo,. eat whole 30 until you feel normal again and try something new.

Unfortunately, there may be some discomfort involved, but that was kinda the whole point, too see how different foods affect you and give you that knowledge going forward.

If you have any reintro questions, lets us know!

3 days to go, you got this!!

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1549 on: October 06, 2016, 10:35:12 PM »
how nervous should I be about day 12
http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

honestly, I really am dreaming of having tiger blood energy levels. that sounds fun. :)

things have been going pretty smoothly. Im mostly at home with the kids, so I dont have to deal with work lunches or a lot of eating out committments. Tonight I made a batch of toasted nuts with coconut oil, cinnamon and salt and they were very satsifying as a snack. I am feeling a little bored, but I will grocery shop in the next two days so will have the chance to buy some different stuff.

whats everyone cooking/eating lately? one of my go-to's is a chicken-grapes-red onion-celery-walnut-mayo-lemon juice salad on lettuce. its, creamy, crunchy, tart and sweet and very filling. I used to eat it on crackers or toast, but its great on crunch romaine hearts, too.