Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427070 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Whole-30 Starting Sept 8th. Want to join us?
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
The weekend was tough, my friends. I'm a huge grumpaluffagus. I'm made of grump. Grump is happening. I can only spare two brain cells to any non-grump activities.

Actually, the phenomenon has an interesting root. I spent the weekend at my parents. We ended up going out to eat twice, and I ate some vinaigrette dressing, and 2 slices of bacon. I didn't ask the ingredients, so I assume neither were compliant. I also had a couple servings of potatoes each day. The whole weekend had higher than usual carb consumption, and I'm consumed with cravings and anger. The weekend also contained my parents, so it's possible the carbs are actually innocent, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:35 AM »
Going well with us!  We made meatloaf with cauliflower mash last night, and tonight we're making this again: https://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-31/thai-chicken-wraps/  We made them last Friday and they are fantastic!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
Sorry to hear you got the grumples, Sailor Sam! I always go back to the time line and use it as an excuse for when I'm feeling like crap :) Although...family...yeah there have been some challenges there for sure.  Hope today is better for you!

Awesome, Ketchup! Those lettuce wraps look great! One thing Hubs and I were talking about is "comfort foods" and how we need to figure out "why" they are comfort foods, what needs they are meeting and either find alternatives or indulge consciously. 

Unfortunately, most comfort food for hubby are "things with bread" Hamburgers, beef dips, pizza, wraps...stuff like that.  Those are harder to find satisfying alternatives for. My mom got creative and made a "raw" grain free  dehydrated  pizza base once....*shudders* i still have nightmares of that saw-dust, moisture sucking wad of horribleness that got lodged in my throat on the way down. Truly, truly awful experience!

The "Friday night" ritual of having something tasty and decompressing after the work week is something hubby wants to continue. So I am making the list of  his comfort foods that we can eat -YAY chicken wings! and am creating a list of foods we like at restaurants but can make better at home (butter chicken, that sort of thing) and we will make something fun and exciting together every second Friday (he has it off) and then work the ones we like into Friday treats on the Fridays he is working (ER can't come early enough!)

We have also identified that we have to have prepared really easy to make meals ready in the freezer for nights we are busy or working late because those are usually the nights we are tempted to eat fast packaged crap or eat out. Anyone have any suggestions for whole 30 ready to go freezer meals they like?

I am also trying to get the fridge more stocked with grab and go (or grab and saute) veggies and easy to prep ingredients. That is helping too.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
Another successful weekend!  I stayed on plan except for some trace sugar. Bought my bacon, but just haven't made any yet. We had too much other food to eat up.

Swick - To your freezer meal question.  Do you really need to freeze it, or just refrigerate?  I've found that mass batch cooking on the weekend has been my saving grace. At first it was kinda tedious, but wow, does it save a ton of time during the week.  I'm just asking because I've found that most food will easily last a week in fridge, without having to freeze it.  I guess it just depends on whether you and hubs are ok eating a lot of the same things during the week. The one food that I did freeze was chili. I still need to get that out and eat it up, but I accidently made it with non-compliant broth, so I've been waiting for a while.  Have you tried freezing fajitas? I need to go through my recipes and see what other ideas I have for you.

This weekend I made a huge batch of homemade spaghetti sauce, with sausage (the sausage has trace sugar). Then I cooked up a small spaghetti squash, which will feed me for 3 meals. Oh, this freezes well too. I've even heard that you can freeze the cooked spaghetti squash but haven't tried that. I'll cook up my other spaghetti squash tonight and have it ready for the rest of the week.  That's my lunches for all week. Plus, I made the chicken coconut curry again this weekend, so I have left over chicken and lots of yummy sauce left to make with shrimp and maybe scallops this week.

Ketchup - Another great recipe that I've printed and have to try.  :-)  What recipe do you use for the meatloaf?  Sounds great, and I just got my 1/4 side of beef this weekend, so I have a lot of quality beef to use.

Anyone have more veggies/sides that you can make in mass?  I've done the braised cabbage and rice cauliflower, but looking for other ideas too.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Ketchup - Another great recipe that I've printed and have to try.  :-)  What recipe do you use for the meatloaf?  Sounds great, and I just got my 1/4 side of beef this weekend, so I have a lot of quality beef to use.
The meatloaf we made is from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/frozen-primal-paleo-meals/  We did 1lb of ground pork and 1lb of ground beef.  Served with homemade ketchup.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Mom22boys. I usually batch cook - but it is harder with everything being meat based (compared to, say, beans and grain) I find that the veggies and meat just don't last as well.  It is easy to make a pot of rice to last for a week, but veggie sides seem to be better fresher.

Hubs takes dinner leftover for his lunch the next day. So he doesn't mind eating the same thing once or twice but if we have the same thing two nights in a row it means he is having it for 4 meals in a row. Too much of anything seems to disagree with his system if he has it for too many meals, even if he likes it.

Veggie sides - I am really loving Rutabaga and they are super cheap in the store right now. I made a huge pot of mashed ones with the drippings from the sausage pan and a splash of coconut milk, salt and white pepper. I made the leftovers into patties this morning and dusted them in cashew flour (tasty, added texture, didn't really help them crisp) but they were awesome with some eggs, salsa and guac!

One of hubbies favorite recipes is Brussels sprouts roasted with some onion and apple. I saute the onion a little bit first and just use frozen Brussels from the store. Roast em all up and toss with a little balsamic and back into the oven for a quick broil. Usually I do a 9x13 pan that lasts for a couple of meals.

We got a spiralizer from the thrift store to make zucchini noodles. They are lots of fun and while not as good as homemade pasta, better then the bland packaged dry stuff!

Roasted Squash is always a safe bet...actually roasted everything. If I don't know what to do with something, I roast it :D

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »
Swick, I cook in massive batches for my lunches, and lunch tends to be my biggest meal of the day. I throw meat and yams in a wok with some sort of flavoring and some extra fat, and then divide it up into lunch sized portions in  oversized tupperware and put them in the freezer. After thawing it I top it with salad greens and a half an avocado and take it for lunch. The meat/yam combo freezes well, tastes good, and is incredibly easy. I don't mind repetition, but usually I have three different batches in my freezer at a given time, with different spices.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:30 PM »
May I join you? I'm just finished day 2 of my first ever attempt at Whole30. I accidentally ate a taco chip today ... drat!!!!! Totally mindless eating. Otherwise, doing well!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:26 AM »
Swick, I cook in massive batches for my lunches, and lunch tends to be my biggest meal of the day. I throw meat and yams in a wok with some sort of flavoring and some extra fat, and then divide it up into lunch sized portions in  oversized tupperware and put them in the freezer. After thawing it I top it with salad greens and a half an avocado and take it for lunch. The meat/yam combo freezes well, tastes good, and is incredibly easy. I don't mind repetition, but usually I have three different batches in my freezer at a given time, with different spices.

Thanks Botanist! When you say Yams, do you mean the yellow fleshed ones? We can't get them here, we can only get the orange ones which are called both "yam" and "sweet potato" They are, as their name implies so sweet that they are almost awkward to eat in savory dishes...but make an awesome base for a bbq sauce!

Welcome 1967mama! The mindless eating can be hard, but pretty soon if you are eating right the desire to snack in between meals pretty much goes away (it's weird when your hunger signals actually mean your hungry and not  bored/tired/lonely/etc)
It would definitely help to remove anything that you mindlessly use/eat. For us it was the bottle of Sriracha, we just use it on everything, I could find it in my sleep and caught myself several times about to put it on what I was eating. Hiding it broke the cycle.

So, big news guys! Hubs isn't snoring anymore! Between his snoring and my super, super light sleeping and general horrible sleeping habits, we don't share a bedroom. I have been sleeping more consistently (lifelong insomniac) and if diet is the major factor in his snoring, we might, just might be able to actually share a bedroom and that would be pretty darn awesome.

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in snoring?
All-knowing google points that it might be a dairy thing - but wondering if anyone has noticed a difference?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2015, 06:07:55 AM »

This is genius.....

Welcome 1967mama! The mindless eating can be hard, but pretty soon if you are eating right the desire to snack in between meals pretty much goes away (it's weird when your hunger signals actually mean your hungry and not  bored/tired/lonely/etc)
It would definitely help to remove anything that you mindlessly use/eat. For us it was the bottle of Sriracha, we just use it on everything, I could find it in my sleep and caught myself several times about to put it on what I was eating. Hiding it broke the cycle.

YES! to this! A good strong breakfast, bacon and eggs, will do that. I'm stunned when I can go past lunch without getting hungry, and I've made it all the way to dinner without getting "hangry".

And BTW: When you start eating right, timing becomes important. You can't sluff off meals and just be OK with it, you start getting hungry/angry, or "hangry". DW and I have had several very close calls about that.

Once, we attended a funeral for a beloved relative. All the services had come to an end and we gathered at "the house" to just be a family together. Everyone started breaking out the lasagna (industrial sizes from shopping clubs), bread, cookies, cakes and pastries. DW and I were already hungry (it was WAY past lunchtime at this point and most of the way to dinner) and were getting impatient.

Independently, but in total lock step, we collected our stuff, started hugging people and heading for the door. Everyone followed us to the stoop to continue the discussion (which is a wonderful, beautiful thing called "The Carolina Goodbye") but this was one time we just couldn't.

We smiled, waved and kept talking as we ran to the car. At the doors, we called out our goodbyes, got in the car, cranked it up and mashed the gas, hard.

3 miles down the road, we found a good steakhouse/meat restaurant. RUNNING to the bar so we could sit down without delay, we ordered immediately and told the barkeep "extra tip for speed". I had a rack of ribs, DW had a 1/2 lb ribeye, hold the potatoes.

There was nothing mustachian about the price of that meal and the tip. We're not talking about Ruth's Chris, but it was a lot of money to us. And we gladly, gladly paid it.

The satisfaction of that meal is difficult to put into words. People, I got to tell you - when you eat right and don't snack, when you finally sit down to a meal and it's good and substantial and satisfying, the experience is nothing at all like snacking on crap. The parallels to the MMM/frugal/stoic life (specifically hedonistic adaptation) directly correlate between diet and finances.

So, big news guys! Hubs isn't snoring anymore! Between his snoring and my super, super light sleeping and general horrible sleeping habits, we don't share a bedroom. I have been sleeping more consistently (lifelong insomniac) and if diet is the major factor in his snoring, we might, just might be able to actually share a bedroom and that would be pretty darn awesome.

All-knowing google points that it might be a dairy thing - but wondering if anyone has noticed a difference?

YES YES YES. When I went keto and lost weight, snoring started going away almost immediately. DW went keto with me, lost a lot of weight but didn't realize she had stopped snoring. We always joked at my house that we had "fat heads", but we didn't realize it was literally true! Also: falling asleep improved dramatically, and happened quite by surprise.

I had a whole list of more than a dozen chronic ailments that went away after being Keto for about 7 months and losing 80 lbs.

(and BTW: "Keto" is a kind of a "sibling diet" to Whole30. I practice it as a lifestyle. )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:09:43 AM by mefla »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2015, 07:21:04 AM »

YES! My dad! He has snored (actually has sleep apnea) horribly all my life, in fact so bad that on family trips I would often have to leave the hotel room and go sleep in the car.  Well, this weekend my mom was telling me that one night he fell asleep in the recliner, and she woke up 4 times during the night and would get worried because she couldn't hear him snoring. She would sneak out to the living room just to make sure he was still breathing! With his apnea, there were MANY times he would stop breathing for a few seconds, but he refuses to wear the mask thing.

Swick - That is AWESOME if you can actually share a room again!  That's a great victory

1967mama - Welcome on board!  As you maybe read, some of us are done or close to it, but many of us are still going. Are you going to officially start over after your slip?  It happened to me on day 2 (my first round) also. Mindless eating is soooo easy to do. I've come a long way, and so will you.

Mefla - I tried to research Keto eating a little, and was a little confused by what you can/cannot eat.  What are the biggest differences in your opinion?  Looks like some or all dairy (saw cheese) is permitted, right? Of course trace sugar.

Liz - Hope you're going strong!  You are getting so close.  It only gets easier and easier.  :-)

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
I COMPLETELY understand being "hangry". Yesterday I thought the hubs was going to roast a chicken for me so it would be ready when I got home from work (after riding my bike, of course -- he stays home with the kids). Got home, hungry as could be and the chicken is still sitting on the counter. I thought about ripping my shirt off and attacking him, like the angry Hulk I am. Instead I stomped around while the chicken and veggies cooked stuffing whatever I could find into my mouth (hard-boiled egg, olives, etc.). It didn't help that I had two hangry toddlers fussing around as well.

HOWEVER, other than the occasional hangriness, the biggest, most AMAZING transformation I have noticed with myself is my ability to parent my two kids without blowing up all the time (internally). I feel like before I was on this constant up-down, up-down roller coaster of sugar/emotions and now I'm on a steady smooth path with a few occasional hills. That, in and of itself, is causing me to rethink my diet/life for good. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
Mefla - I tried to research Keto eating a little, and was a little confused by what you can/cannot eat.  What are the biggest differences in your opinion?  Looks like some or all dairy (saw cheese) is permitted, right? Of course trace sugar.

Hey mom22!

Keto omits foods with high carb content: wheat, oats, dried fruit, bread, pasta, rice, beans, carrots, corn and corn products, anything with the popular sugars and expressly HFCS. This wipes out the vast majority of restaurant foods and fast foods. Nearly all dairy is permitted - probably cheesecakes prepared with sugar are disallowed.

One of the hardest things for most people about living keto is that it discourages fruits: bananas, oranges, apples, peaches, pears, plums and grapes. I say "discourages" because while you don't eat these foods routinely, you can do apples, oranges or pineapple maybe once a week to get vitamin C, fiber and other good stuff.

May I do a little infomercial?

The Ketogenic Diet is old - it was developed in the early 1920's and remains an effective treatment for epileptics who do not respond to drugs:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

An important book on the topic is "Why We Get Fat (And What To Do About It) by Gary Taubes:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/

A good contemporary resource for Keto discussion is the reddit keto forums:
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto

ruled.me is my go-to for recipes: http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/
Faves are:
http://www.ruled.me/jalapeno-popper-egg-cups/
http://www.ruled.me/bacon-red-pepper-and-mozzarella-frittata/
and the most glorious pizza you've ever wrapped your mouth around:
http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

On Keto, if you are susceptible to gallstones, you'll probably develop them. I did, but gallstones run in my family. I am treating them and it's working, slowly. I will probably do a gallbladder flush at some point but I don't plan to go off Keto.

Water is vitally, vitally important. If you cut back on it, you can suffer badly and reap none of the benefits. More importantly, tea and soft drinks do not substitute for water. So you've really got to be careful. I add packets of dried lime essence and I love it.

If I ever decided I wanted to stop  doing Keto, I'd likely cycle onto Paleo or Whole30.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
I COMPLETELY understand being "hangry".....

HOWEVER, other than the occasional hangriness, the biggest, most AMAZING transformation I have noticed with myself is my ability to parent my two kids without blowing up all the time (internally). I feel like before I was on this constant up-down, up-down roller coaster of sugar/emotions and now I'm on a steady smooth path with a few occasional hills. That, in and of itself, is causing me to rethink my diet/life for good.

YES YES YES. Eating Keto has given a kind of stability to my emotions and helped me be more professional at work. Hell, I thought I needed counseling for a long time (may people would probably say that... :-) ) but when I went Keto, my emotions leveled out and I was able to think critically about things that would just put me "on tilt".

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

I ate ONE chip, darn it! It was day 2, so yes, I'm back on day 1. Just wondering, Swick, if you might be willing to change the subject to just Whole30 and then people could keep posting no matter where they are? There is some real gems of information in here for a newbie like myself, and it would be neat if it could stay on top instead of being buried. 

A few questions/thoughts:

1) I have a fancy party thing later this week with my husband's work and had to preorder food, and I ordered the a veg option that comes wrapped in pastry. The order was made a week ago, pre Whole30. Any suggestions? I can't change the order now.

NEXT QUESTION HAS A TMI WARNING! Stop here if you want.

-
-
-
-
-

2) I am suffering with ... ah .. erm ... diarrhea today  --- ugh! I just read that this is normal. Anyone else experience this? Its quite unnerving!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
Oh, exploding sphincters happen. In fact, it's also happening to me today so I can definitely say that you're in fantastic company :) Some digestive systems get angry at radical changes. You'll be okay, and it will stop. Be comforted.

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
1967mama - good thought I changed the name and added an edit to my first post :)

As far as the work thing - eating out is tough - I basically rearranged our social calendar to make it work and only went to my parents house because I knew I had their full support. 

The problem with the veggie pastry is the veggies might be cooked in butter, there could be cheese in there as well - Personally, I would eat a good meal before going and break it up on my plate and make it look eaten - maybe spirit a few bits away in a napkin to make it look eaten and  see if I could get away with it ;)

Or, depending on how you are feeling, you might have a legit reason to take a "sick" pass. ...sorry I'm an introvert, I'm always looking for ways to get out of social obligations. It might not be useful advice :)

The digestive issues are no fun, but I think everyone goes through them. Overnight I went from  fully happy like clock-work to running to the bathroom, and it lasted a few days. You'll get through it!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
When you say Yams, do you mean the yellow fleshed ones? We can't get them here, we can only get the orange ones which are called both "yam" and "sweet potato" They are, as their name implies so sweet that they are almost awkward to eat in savory dishes...but make an awesome base for a bbq sauce!

I prefer the yellow or whitish ones, but this week I found the orange ones on sale and used them instead. It still came out fine. An alternate that I have done is chunks of beef or pork roast and roasted squash, with the same method of cooking too much and freezing it as a base for salad and avocado.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »
mom22boys -- Thank you!:):):) I am enjoying reading about your after W30 experience so far!

Any recommendations for treating a cold the W30 way? This is what I have so far: homemade chicken soup {unfortunately I cannot drink a lot of bone broth b/c too much gelatin makes me really itchy}, compliant tea {Gypsy Cold Care tea}, lots of water with teaspoons of ACV, and ACV in my vaporizer. I'm taking Tylenol for the sinus pressure but I do NOT want to take cold medicine or antibiotics!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
mom22boys -- Thank you!:):):) I am enjoying reading about your after W30 experience so far!

Any recommendations for treating a cold the W30 way? This is what I have so far: homemade chicken soup {unfortunately I cannot drink a lot of bone broth b/c too much gelatin makes me really itchy}, compliant tea {Gypsy Cold Care tea}, lots of water with teaspoons of ACV, and ACV in my vaporizer. I'm taking Tylenol for the sinus pressure but I do NOT want to take cold medicine or antibiotics!

Aromatherapy is a great option because you don't have to ingest anything! This is a  pretty good super basic overview: http://amazingwellnessmag.com/aromatherapy-for-colds/- Although some oil of oregano (make sure you get the stuff that is already mixed with olive oil and not the straight up essential oil) works wonders. Tastes horrible and you'll have oregano breath for hours but works. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the help, folks! Yes! Awesome group! I love the name change!

For the dinner, I loved the idea of pushing everything on my plate around with a fork and putting some in a napkin. Brilliant! ... I actually LOL'd!

For the tummy troubles, things settled down about an hour after I posted. I did go and read up on the Whole30 blog and assume it to be a result of what I was eating before I actually started. This was great: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

My 2nd day 1 is under my belt! haha! Onward!

ETA: link
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:11:03 AM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
... I actually LOL'd!

For the tummy troubles, things settled down about an hour after I posted. I did go and read up on the Whole30 blog and assume it to be a result of what I was eating before I actually started. This was great: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

My 2nd day 1 is under my belt! haha! Onward!

ETA: link

:) I should have thought to post the link to the revised timeline, Thank you!

I found it very,  very helpful to look it up when something weird has going on, then you look it up and then it's like yup that's spot on. We were off by a couple of days. I felt super crappy the first week, hubs was fine. His second and third weeks were more of a struggle for him.  But everytime he took a super dip, I'd go back the timeline show him and say "it's temporary!"

This morning hubs said he never thought we would get through it, nor so relatively easily - especially with things we love  so much, like cheese! We both agreed that being without it so long the desire is not there to really bring it back - This is huge!

Although he had to physically steer me away from the cheese isle where, right by the front door our local Italian market was sampling a huge wheel of Parm that they had just got in from Italy. That was the only real temptation, the only thing better than high-quality cheese is free high-quality cheese!

So for re-intro, we are going to go very slow and methodical. 2-3 days (depending on Hubby's work) of trying out a food group - basically the weekends - and then back to whole 30 during the week. We figure this will give us enough time to properly expose ourselves (some things like dairy should have pretty quick side-effects, others can take a bit longer) and give our bodies a chance to "reset" or return to a whole 30 baseline before we try the next thing.

So, roughly we are looking at:
week1: - Milk (unfermented dairy)
week2: - Fermented dairy (Yougurt, Kefir)
week3: - Cheese (casin can apparently cause issues)
week4: - legumes
week5 - Fermented soy - (soy sauce, miso)
week6: - Non-gluten grains
week7: - gluten grains

We might break down the legumes, grains and glutens even further - in the name of science and as a way of eating whole 30 longer :)

oh, hey...it's day 30! I kinda lost track of time this past week.  :D

How is everyone doing? How are the people who are on the whole 30 - What are your breakthroughs? Challenges? Successes?
How is the re-intro going for people who have finished - have you discovered anything? gotten any insights?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:56 AM »
Today is Day 29 for my household.

Anybody have totals for grocery spending on Whole30?

Disclaimer: My numbers aren't entirely 100% accurate because we used some meat we had before starting, but we also stocked up on some things that we haven't had to in a while (oils and spices mostly) and last night's shopping trip also included planning for a week-long trip that we're leaving for Friday morning.  Overall I'd say it's probably very slightly more than we would have spent with no past items used or future items bought.

Household of two adults:

Vegetables: $124.52
Fruit: $71.83
Meat/eggs: $206.87
"Other": $239.69

Total: $642.91
Average per person per meal: $3.57

Other includes things like $40 of coconut oil and olive oil from Costco, about $25 in spices that needed replenishing, condiments like hot sauce and coconut aminos, lots and lots of canned coconut milk (mmm... curry), and other non-produce, non-meat things.

About 25% of the produce we bought was organic, and about 80% of the meat/eggs were straight-from-the-farm.

I'm convinced we could maintain the Whole30 way of eating for an average of $500/month ($250/person) going forward. 

This was the sum of a total of TWENTY-TWO grocery receipts.  3 trips to Jewel-Osco, 1 trip to Whole Foods, 4 trips to Costco, 3 to Aldi, 8 to Meijer, and 2 to Walmart.  Plus one to the farm for our meat/eggs pickup.  Yikes.  Some of that isn't quite fair, as I'd hit Jewel and Aldi sometimes in the same trip or Costco and Whole Foods, but still.  Way too many trips to the grocery store.  I think we'll try to get it down to 2x/week going forward. 

To our credit, at least the only thing that we threw out all month was a bad cantaloupe!  No food waste here.  I accidentally dropped a chicken breast on the floor at one point, but our raw-fed Australian Shepherds took care of that immediately.

We also ate out a whopping zero times, even with some travel, which certainly helps in the not-feeling-like-crap and not-exploding-volcano-of-wastefulness departments.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:55:30 AM by ketchup »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
1967mama - That approach is kinda what I did when I had to travel for work. I had a banana and almonds tucked into my purse (should have brought protein too) and ate that instead. Luckily my lunch was informal and no one even noticed I didn't take a lunch box. Repositioning/Sneaking food into your napkin is a great idea! You will be shocked how people don't pay attention to what you're eating.

Mefla - Thank you for the info on Keto! That was really helpful, and yes, I had read about it being used for epilepsy. Very interesting. Going without fruit (or at least very limited) would be pretty tough for me. But, it's something I should consider if I don't have problems with adding back some dairy after the Whole30.

Ketchup - I didn't track my budget nearly as close as you, but I ended up spending about $380.  But, I have a lot of caveats with that. :-)  I have a lot of meat in the freezer that I used, some pastured and others not. But, some of the meat I did buy for the month was also in bulk, so I have replenished some in my freezer for this month. Also, this is for me and my 2 boys. They aren't doing the Whole30, other than me cutting out their sugar completely at home, and eating the same meals as me when we eat at home. I haven't tried to do Whole30 with their cold lunches I send to school. That would be tough, and I'm not up to that challenge....yet. :-) Also, we did NO spending on restaurants either, except for my work trip, which was free to me. :-)

Swick - I think I'm going to start my reintro this Sat/Sun with legumes.  I'm going to do 2 days eating, then back to Whole30 for the 5 days, similar to your plan. I hadn't thought about doing the reintro more granular, but that's something I think I need to consider.

The things I'm missing is butter, cheese, rice, and popcorn. Of course, my sugar craving rears it's head a little but I'm definitely not at a point of being able to only eat a bite or two. I think that might honestly take me 6+ months.  So, I'm gonna keep on with only trace sugar, nothing more.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
The things I'm missing is butter, cheese, rice, and popcorn. Of course, my sugar craving rears it's head a little but I'm definitely not at a point of being able to only eat a bite or two. I think that might honestly take me 6+ months.  So, I'm gonna keep on with only trace sugar, nothing more.

Help me here, I'm showing my ignorance about Whole30: are butter and cheese prohibited? I eat the CRAP out butter. I have four little Land 0 Lakes peel-open tubs right now at my workdesk. I put butter on almost anything that's heated. Goes GREAT like a "sauce" on beef, pork or chicken. Never, ever margarine or individually wrapped "Kraft Slices". I use real butter and real cheese. In fact, I have to be careful how much cheese or I get into a constipation situation.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

Help me here, I'm showing my ignorance about Whole30: are butter and cheese prohibited? I eat the CRAP out butter. I have four little Land 0 Lakes peel-open tubs right now at my workdesk. I put butter on almost anything that's heated. Goes GREAT like a "sauce" on beef, pork or chicken. Never, ever margarine or individually wrapped "Kraft Slices". I use real butter and real cheese. In fact, I have to be careful how much cheese or I get into a constipation situation.

All dairy is out for the whole 30. Lactose is a problem for many, so is the casin in cheese. Dairy can exacerbate allergies, breathing issues, sleeping issues, digestive issues...depends on the person. So the whole point of the whole 30 is to cut it all out for 30 days and slowly reintroduce in a systematic way so you can see how those things specifically affect you.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
All dairy is out for the whole 30. Lactose is a problem for many, so is the casin in cheese. Dairy can exacerbate allergies, breathing issues, sleeping issues, digestive issues...depends on the person. So the whole point of the whole 30 is to cut it all out for 30 days and slowly reintroduce in a systematic way so you can see how those things specifically affect you.

Cool, cool. You make me wish I'd come to keto from Whole30, but Whole30 didn't exist then. What I didn't mention was that once I went keto, my lactose intolerance became a very severe problem - the carbs were, apparently, masking it somehow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
Ok, now I'm mixed up! haha!

I thought butter was ok when served this way:

Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.) - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.l90z1tjE.dpuf

I made my own clarified butter = easy

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »

Cool, cool. You make me wish I'd come to keto from Whole30, but Whole30 didn't exist then. What I didn't mention was that once I went keto, my lactose intolerance became a very severe problem - the carbs were, apparently, masking it somehow.

if your lactose intolerance became severe, how do you do with butter and cheese?

Ok, now I'm mixed up! haha!

I thought butter was ok when served this way:

Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.) - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.l90z1tjE.dpuf

I made my own clarified butter = easy

Sorry to confuse you, 1967 mama - mefla is usually talking about Ketogenics which is a next step for some people - which, if I understand his gospel is switching from burning mostly carbohydrates to burning fat.  Whole 30 ISNT Keto - but they are both low carb and there is a lot of similar issues when you are making the switch.

Clarified butter and Ghee are GREAT on whole 30. It is the milk solids in butter that contain the lactose and other bits you don't want to have while on whole 30.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2015, 04:42:09 PM »

if your lactose intolerance became severe, how do you do with butter and cheese?

Some Things:
1) I take probiotics regularly, with a lactose-specific probiotic added. It has improved my problems to the point that I can have butter and SOME cheeses. Not all.
2) The cheeses I can have are typically hard cheeses or cheeses aged so long that the lactose has all been consumed. Cheddar and Brie give me little-to-no trouble, especially when eaten with other foods.
3) I rarely have trouble with cooked cheeses or cheese as an ingredient in a cooked dish. Quiche is a good example. I make a very-low-carb pizza that gives me little to no trouble.

The intolerance has improved with CERTAIN dairy products, but I have to be careful when I taste test something else to see how I do with it. I have made myself pretty sick having things that had more lactose than I thought. I can get pretty sick even from craft ales called "milk stouts", which are purposefully sweetened with lactose.  There are some low-carb foods sweetened with lactose that'll really make me sick too.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
Chiming into to add that butter is often okay with both lactose intolerant, and those allergic to casein. Dairy products are made from 3 molecules, the protein (casein), the sugar (lactose), and the fat (fat). Regular butter contains fat, and trace protein. Clarified butter and ghee are pure milk fat. Which is why I can eat it without an allergic reaction. Probably why they are allowed on the whole30.

The cheese tho! IDK how you do it mefla. Obviously you've got they system tuned, but I reached a point of pain where the hurt of eating dairy was higher than the hurt from giving it up. I vomited on my wife's shoes, and that was the end of mammal juice for me.

I have found that many people assume that I can eat goat's milk and cheese. I find it baffling. Where did this concept come from?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:44:48 PM by Sailor Sam »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
***COOKING TIP***

I totally forgot to mention this, but arrowroot powder is an awesome thickener and I have been using it to thicken stir fry sauces, gravies, fruit sauces, soups....Handy where you would usually use cornstarch or flour. Might be handy as Thanksgiving is coming up (sooner for us Canucks)

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
^ Bought some arrowroot powder the other day for thickening sauces!

Interesting talk about different types of dairies ... I have no interest in introducing milk when I'm finished, but butter and full fat yogurt, yes. Cheese is a maybe.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
Chiming into to add that butter is often okay with both lactose intolerant, and those allergic to casein. Dairy products are made from 3 molecules, the protein (casein), the sugar (lactose), and the fat (fat). Regular butter contains fat, and trace protein. Clarified butter and ghee are pure milk fat. Which is why I can eat it without an allergic reaction. Probably why they are allowed on the whole30.

The cheese tho! IDK how you do it mefla. Obviously you've got they system tuned, but I reached a point of pain where the hurt of eating dairy was higher than the hurt from giving it up. I vomited on my wife's shoes, and that was the end of mammal juice for me.

I have found that many people assume that I can eat goat's milk and cheese. I find it baffling. Where did this concept come from?

Sailor Sam, I'm much more like you than different. No puking, but my experiments are few and far between these days and I limit even the things I know i can have.  I'm a big fan of almond milk. And YES, I get the same comments about goat's milk and cheese, which I avoid. It's almost like people think I'm trying to be some damned drama queen or something.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on clarifying my butter <wink>....it tasted soooo decadent on my baked potato with sea salt and fresh ground pepper tonite (along with several slices of roast beef  -- but waaahh, my horseradish had sulfites so it was a no go). I'm so happy that we already buy wonderful grass-fed, pastured, hormone/antibiotic free beef (2 sides arriving end of October) and 50 chickens fed organic feed and running freely (also hormone/antibiotic free) every summer.

Day 2 went great! I had a tremendously busy and stressful day and tonight I said to my daughter (23, doing W30 with me!) that I handled the day well and couldn't imagine how it would have gone had I been eating crappity crap crap all day long??!!!!

Day 3 is this big party thing that I mentioned upthread. Not sure how it will go. Will report back!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »
***COOKING TIP***

I totally forgot to mention this, but arrowroot powder is an awesome thickener and I have been using it to thicken stir fry sauces, gravies, fruit sauces, soups....Handy where you would usually use cornstarch or flour. Might be handy as Thanksgiving is coming up (sooner for us Canucks)

Excellent tip!  I've been trying to figure out what to use for a thickener, and now I know! 

CONGRATS to SWICK and HUBBY for completing their Whole30!  Ketchup and GF are close behind with another win!

Ok, another question for everyone.  Exercise??  What are you doing or not doing? Honestly, I've done very little exercise since the beginning of September.  I've taken a few walks and bike rides (yes, I'm very non-MMM when it comes to biking to work, it's too far). I wanted to focus more on my eating and then start to integrate exercise back in. I'm finding it hard though to get back into the rhythm....something I need to work on.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2015, 08:21:46 AM »
I try to walk at least a mile or two during my lunch break every day.  My girlfriend bikes a few miles with the dogs most days.  We've done bicycle sprints together 1-2x/week, and I've been lifting 3x/week.  The bicycle sprints are the only thing recently new to us.

Arrowroot powder is excellent!  We also use it as part of a homemade deodorant.

Last night I did a mass-cooking to freeze meals for our upcoming trip.  Buffalo ranch pork meatballs, an oversized meatloaf, Thai chicken wrap building supplies, cauliflower mash, and curried ground pork.  This will be supplemented on the trip by coconut milk smoothies, fresh fruit, nuts, Larabars, deviled eggs, and grass-fed beef sticks.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »
On exercise - before the whole 30 I wasn't a big exerciser. I ride my bike to work (but it's only 1 mile one way - so I get in 4 miles each day). And I would go with the family for walks in the evenings. But now I'm king of obsessed with exercising. I think it's because I have this new found energy and I need somewhere to burn it. I've started trying out some workouts from toneitup. Just wish I could get the hubs on board so I would have a workout buddy.

I also discovered that I ate an entire jar of sunflower seed butter in about 2 1/2 weeks. Is that crazy? I NEVER would have eaten an entire jar of peanut butter in that amount of time, but I love that stuff.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »

CONGRATS to SWICK and HUBBY for completing their Whole30!  Ketchup and GF are close behind with another win!

Ok, another question for everyone.  Exercise??  What are you doing or not doing? Honestly, I've done very little exercise since the beginning of September.  I've taken a few walks and bike rides (yes, I'm very non-MMM when it comes to biking to work, it's too far). I wanted to focus more on my eating and then start to integrate exercise back in. I'm finding it hard though to get back into the rhythm....something I need to work on.

Thanks Mom22boys!! :D

I made an awesome celebratory dinner last night, wasn't really planned, just when the duck happen to be thawed. But...revelation! I stuffed the duck with apples and prunes (the Danish way) and then I stuffed it in the crockpot! I didn't really have any expectations, other then it is really hard to get a perfectly cooked duck with most of the fat rendered, with moist meat and crispy skin and I was feeling lazy. Guess what!?! That is exactly what I got!

I crock potted the duck on low for 8 or so hours, all the lovely fat melted and sort of confit'd the duck while it cooked, then I popped it out and stuck it under the broiler to crisp the skin. It was seriously the best duck we have ever had! I served it with some mashed rutabaga, roasted purple potatoes and some caper, green peppercorn gravy I made from the duck stock.

Also ended up with 1 1/3 cups of duck fat, plus the bones went back into the crockpot for stock :)

Other random results:

Weight - Didn't lose as much weight as I was hoping. 4 lbs according to the scale. Now, this number is slightly skewed because I lost 8 pounds very quickly right before starting because I was so sick and not eating much for a week or two - which definitely wasn't healthy weight loss, so I had some balancing to do. The bottom line is a do feel better and have more energy so I am using that as a measurement of success.

Relationships - This one was kind of unexpected as hubs and I have always been very in-sync but we feel closer to each other than we ever have (didn't know it was possible) Having the shared journey, shared goals, struggles and successes, deep conversations about things you normally wouldn't think to talk about or wouldn't come up in everyday conversations - it seems like it has been a relationship reset as much as a food one.

We are both not tired and exhausted and going through the motions as we have been.  We have both been lighter and happier and just having more fun. Definitely more glimpses of hubby's childlike enthusiasm and joy for everything that is awesome in life coming through. I have missed it!

Hubs has more energy and clarity so he is coming home from work (despite it totally sucking right now and having to put in a lot of OT) with excitement and ready to dive into hobbies and projects he hasn't had the energy for - which makes him happier and more energized. It is a GOOD cycle to be in!

Boundaries - This is a bit of a strange one, but it has given me practice with setting and sticking to boundaries, and letting people know what they are. I have historically been not very good at this. Also - making self-care a priority. My working relationship with my clients was starting to get away from me and I found myself slipping back into the horrible space of feeling like I was on call 24-7 since I work from home and get emails all day long. Yesterday, I sent an email to my clients with very firm boundaries about when I will respond to emails and work requests. Now I have carved out specific time in my day to make healthy meals, and get some excercise in, It feels AWESOME!!

Budget - We spent about $580.00 for two people. Our usual budget is $400.00 This includes $100.00 for our Local organic fruit and Veg CSA and $100.00 for an 18 lb Turkey (which I broke down and 1/2 is in the freezer) and 3 dozen local organic duck eggs and 2 Dozen Chicken eggs. We ate some meat from the freezer and put some in the freezer, so I think that pretty much evens out.

We did have to buy some staples - Coconut aminos, Hubs loose leaf tea, coconut oil, coconut flakes, olive oil.
We were also pretty fast and loose with buying fancy stuff like prosciutto (but we did hunt around for the cheapest place) and splurged on some game meat sausages and pepperoni that were compliant. Also, nuts dammit they are expensive! We'll probably look at doing a cross border shop when we need to stock up again.

We did save the 22.00 or so we would have spent on buying a jug of milk each week. And we didn't go out to eat so had some entertainment savings for sure. Ohh and we'll save some money on Christmas gifts! I have a bunch of food items that we are not going to eat now that I can turn into Christmas presents - Make my own spiced bean dip packages and things like that :)

Momm22Boys - to answer your question about exercise - I have been doing very little. Some walks, exploring some trails in our community, not much more than that. Another reason I'm not stressed about the lack of movement on the scale. Since getting sick and starting whole 30 and feeling crappy on that, I haven't been good about making the time - or really having any inclination and energy to exercise. Now that I have my eating habits dialed in, and am feeling more energy, incorporating regular exercise is our next step.

1967mama, So awesome you are doing it with your daughter! Good luck on your dinner tonight! You make me want to clarify some butter! We bought some Ghee beginning of September, but neither of us were really keen on the taste. Hubs said it tasted like old oil.

I have been saving the fat from everything I have been cooking and using that. When you save the fat, make stock from the bones and have the meat, it makes it a little easier on the pocketbook when you are not use to buying so much meat:)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on clarifying my butter <wink>

... ...
... O.o  o.O

I see what you did there!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »
Mom22boys - how are your parents doing on their whole 30? Spending Thanksgiving with my parents and I would love to have them try it ou.t Any experiences or results or anything you could share would be awesome! My mom is in, my dad would need some convincing :)

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
swick - Your duck sounds AMAZING. I am sitting here drooling on my keyboard:) And congratulations on all of your success, both on the scale and off. 4 lbs is nothing to sneeze at -- that is a pound a week! And the relationship + boundaries victories are huge! You should be proud of yourself!!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12:18 PM »
swick - Your duck sounds AMAZING. I am sitting here drooling on my keyboard:) And congratulations on all of your success, both on the scale and off. 4 lbs is nothing to sneeze at -- that is a pound a week! And the relationship + boundaries victories are huge! You should be proud of yourself!!!

Thank you Liz! :) I'm pretty excited so see all these changes and see how things continue to change! Getting healthy is a grand experiment and journey so glad you are all sharing it with me!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2015, 02:03:46 AM »
Well, back to Day 1 again :-/

It was basically impossible to fake anybody out with my dinner at the party I was at tonight. Everyone else at the table had ordered meat (which I didn't since I don't like how rare they prepare it) and everyone was fascinated by my vegetarian dinner and were all asking me questions about how it tasted and such.

Lesson learned. I don't feel like its a total loss because I have really done 4 days of great eating, other than 1 taco chip and tonight's disaster of a dinner. I ate the dessert too and it tasted VERY sweet, so even though I've only been off sugar 3 days, I really noticed a difference.

This afternoon, I forgot the lunch I packed so I went to a grocery store and bought prosciutto (all natural, no nitrates), a fruit tray, a veggie tray and a pack of Wholly Guacamole. I sat and drank herbal tea and ate my snacks in my hotel room in the afternoon and had lots for my hubby too. It was delicious.

I'm getting better and better at understanding the plan, and it feels like its getting easier despite the 2 setbacks.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »
1967mama ~ It sounds like with each setback, you are learning something new and that is SO important! I think I mentioned this before, but I've attempted MANY whole30's for a couple of days and then quit for one reason or another. It just wasn't the right time for whatever reason. But please don't let anyone bother you about your way of eating! To me, that is the weirdest thing -- I would think that with gluten free, etc. being so popular now, people would be more understanding about different ways of eating. Maybe I am just being naive. I'm sorry you went through that though, that sounds so annoying.

My kayaking trip was rescheduled for this weekend, so I get to put in place the great tips y'all gave me.:) Will report back on how it goes! mom22boys, I think you mentioned exercise upthread? I actually haven't done any exercise so far besides some small walks and this will be my first time really doing something active since starting. I'm curious to see how it will go.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:45:14 AM by Liz »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:40 AM »
Mom22boys - how are your parents doing on their whole 30? Spending Thanksgiving with my parents and I would love to have them try it ou.t Any experiences or results or anything you could share would be awesome! My mom is in, my dad would need some convincing :)

Well, it's been good and bad. Today is their day 30. My dad cheated twice.  Once was beyond his control.  He had a colonoscopy around day 21, and they required he drink a Gatorade.  Then on Tuesday of this week he didn't feel well, and ate a mint. He was sitting in his car waiting for my sister at Walmart.   Uggg!  DAD! Go inside and BUY some fruit!!!  He has always said that won't continue with this eating.  In fact, I bet that tomorrow he will be at Burger King eating a whopper.  He has been a yo-yo dieter/eater all his life, and I think this was just too much for him.

My mom has made it the full 30 days without cheating, assuming she doesn't cheat today.  I was really hoping this would help with her high blood pressure, and it does seem to have helped. But, she has been super tired and had a headache almost every day.  The headaches weren't terrible, but just enough to make her not feel great.  I'm honestly not sure if she'll do the reintro or not. I asked her this morning, and she didn't say.

I really feel like my parents should go another 30 days, and then may really see changes and feel better.  I doubt they will listen to me though.  LOL  But, at least they now understand my eating, and are much more supportive.

EDIT:  And my parents were the same as yours.  My mom was all in, but my dad had to be drug along. He only agreed to do it because he had plateaued on his weight loss and wanted to loss more.  It was never understanding his body and food, but all about his weight.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:22:18 AM by mom22boys »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
I'm getting better and better at understanding the plan, and it feels like its getting easier despite the 2 setbacks.

Just like Liz said.....THIS is what matters!  You are doing awesome, and I'm sure you'll get through the full 30 soon!

Ketchup and GF....I think it's celebration day today!  Are you doing to do the reintro, keep going? 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Way to go! ketchup and GF!!!!

Thanks for sharing, Mom22boys. I think with my dad doesn't "see" a need because he is tall and thin and pretty active through work. I said there are a lot of body changes and things going on that you can't see and I think I will point out as he hates, hates going to the doctor, this would be a good thing to do to help make sure he doesn't have to. Except for a work related emergency injury or two I don't think he's been to the doctors in 20 or more years.

I hope all the best health for your parents and that they will see the benefits :)

1967mamma - Don't feel discouraged, you are learning a lot and that, more than anything else is why I think the whole 30 is awesome, it really causes you to examine and learn and get in tune with yourself. I know that "starting over" seems like a big deal,  but then many of us have decided to continue of=n some modified form after as well, so it's more of a "life style" change than a "challenge" after a while - so a restart or two along the way not a bad thing, especially if you learn from the experience.

Liz - Hope you have an often trip! Would love to hear how it goes!

So we introduced milk today - took a walk to a coffee shop and had a latte. It sure was tasty (and we weren't even tempted by all the awesome artisanal breads and baking!) but within 20 or so minutes we were both feeling like crap. Rumbly tummy, I can feel a tightening in my chest and my ears hurt.

We were about to say well that's it for the milk experiment, but then that was a very "Big" amount of milk, and it is worth seeing if small amounts in cooking and such have similar effects - so we bought a little carton of cream and will have it in small amounts tomorrow. - but we have pretty much established we have no desire to have it as a beverage, so I think that is something.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
This afternoon, I forgot the lunch I packed so I went to a grocery store and bought prosciutto (all natural, no nitrates), a fruit tray, a veggie tray and a pack of Wholly Guacamole. I sat and drank herbal tea and ate my snacks in my hotel room in the afternoon and had lots for my hubby too. It was delicious.

That's really fucking awesome 1967mama. You did great. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:27:27 PM by Sailor Sam »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »

That's really fucking awesome 1967mama. You did great.

Did great? Did AWESOME! That  sounds amazing....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!