Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427033 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1400 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Posting to follow along since I expect I will be dragged sucked cajoled invited to join with him.
At least you'll have some good company :)

Tig_ It sounds like with your crazy schedule you have been doing a great job! Meal planning and prep is really key to making the Whole 30 work. Do you have a plan for reintro?

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Tig_ It sounds like with your crazy schedule you have been doing a great job! Meal planning and prep is really key to making the Whole 30 work. Do you have a plan for reintro?

I was working on that today! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be eating, I'm still thinking about that. I don't know that I've ever had many legumes without rice for example.  I have some questions re: sugar intro that the book didn't exactly answer, so I'll have to do some googling on that.
Sigh. It's definitely been woth it though. I'd love to do it again when I live closer to a grocery store or have more time to meal prep.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1402 on: July 11, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
How is your reintro going, Tig_? Did you have any revelations, notice any things you react to? Any changes in sleeping patterns or general wellness? Have any challenges or unexpected things happened?

Still making progress, it's a little more morning these days. Have settled into a healthy eating routine, starting to get more exercise. Had to take a bit of a break as the veins in one of my leg has been acting up. My sister and mom swear by taking a shot of cayenne pepper in water.... we shall see. They have both had crappy varicose veins for most of their lives; mine is just starting to be a problem.

Maintaining an average 2+ lbs weight loss a week. Much like the journey to FI once you get things dialed in, except for the occasional bit of tweaking it becomes doing what you are doing and becoming a waiting game.

I would LOVE some updates from folks who have come and gone on this thread, any takers? I would love to see how people are doing since the first round of whole 30 way back last September! Or anyone who joined along the way. Has it made a difference, has anything stuck, anyone go back to their usual habits? I'm so curious!

Typhoid Mary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1403 on: July 11, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Hi, I'm new.

I did this once a few years ago but it didn't stick as a lifestyle. I'm attempting a 30 day reboot of my system with no dairy, grains,alcohol, sugars or fruit.

I will then continue on paleo after that.

I'm a type 2 diabetic so maybe have to have some "emergency" fruit or grains if the blood sugar gets too low.
Today is day one for me. 

I had 4 egg whites scrambled with peppers and broccoli for breakfast.
Grilled chicken and steamed sweet potatoes for lunch.
Dinner will be baked salmon and steamed winter squash and cinnamon. Snack will be celery with almond butter. Days 1-7 are the easiest for me.  Then I run out of steam and get grumpy.

Typhoid Mary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1404 on: July 11, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »
As a type 2 diabetic, I get panicky about people willingly put themselves into ketosis. If I have ketones in my urine I have to go to the hospital - is this not the case for normal, healthy people? I'm intrigued!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1405 on: July 11, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »
Hi, I'm new.

Welcome!

I'll be following along to see how you do with your plan and how it affects your diabetes. If you are not eating any carbs, you WILL go into Ketosis.  There is a big difference between nutritional ketosis and diabetic ketosis -  I definitely would be checking in with your doc and doing some research.

One of the things that is super key is making sure you are getting healthy fats. I am wondering why you had egg whites without the yolks for breakfast? Most of the new science about yolks suggests that cholesterol is not the evil devil we have been lead to believe and is a healthy source of fat/vitamins and minerals - especially important when doing a reboot.

I've had low blood sugar most of my life, after switching to a Paleo-style of eating my levels have pretty much, well, leveled out. I think removing the sugar and having those huge sugar swings with super highs and lows really helped.

Typhoid Mary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1406 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
Hi, I'm new.

Welcome!

I'll be following along to see how you do with your plan and how it affects your diabetes. If you are not eating any carbs, you WILL go into Ketosis.  There is a big difference between nutritional ketosis and diabetic ketosis -  I definitely would be checking in with your doc and doing some research.

One of the things that is super key is making sure you are getting healthy fats. I am wondering why you had egg whites without the yolks for breakfast? Most of the new science about yolks suggests that cholesterol is not the evil devil we have been lead to believe and is a healthy source of fat/vitamins and minerals - especially important when doing a reboot.

I've had low blood sugar most of my life, after switching to a Paleo-style of eating my levels have pretty much, well, leveled out. I think removing the sugar and having those huge sugar swings with super highs and lows really helped.

Hi! I'm working with my doc to eat better and lose some weight.  That being said, they seem clueless on nutrition - as am I - so it's a perfect storm.  I have a very fit crossfitter paleo friend who has invited me on this journey.  She was the one who suggested cutting out the yolks since the eggs were scrambled in coconut oil. She prefers plant based fats (avocado, coconut oil, walnuts etc) over animal fats since the paleo diet is meat heavy.

I've had T2D for ten years.  (I'm 35) I had gestational diabetes that never went away after the birth of my last child. I was insulin dependent for 2 years (pregnancies), did oral meds for 5 years and have been off all medications and controlling the blood sugars with diet for 3 years.  My blood sugars are good but being insulting resistant makes it damn near impossible to lose weight if I eat carbs.  But if I don't eat any carbs, I pass out from low blood sugars. 

I'm trying to eat the RIGHT carbs and hopefully lose some weight.  im doing weights twice a week and cardio twice a week. I'll try to read the whole thread and learn some stuff in the next day or so!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1407 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
H! I'm working with my doc to eat better and lose some weight.  That being said, they seem clueless on nutrition - as am I - so it's a perfect storm.  I have a very fit crossfitter paleo friend who has invited me on this journey.  She was the one who suggested cutting out the yolks since the eggs were scrambled in coconut oil. She prefers plant based fats (avocado, coconut oil, walnuts etc) over animal fats since the paleo diet is meat heavy.

Wow, it sounds like you have had quite a journey thus far!

RE: Eggs - If you are buying high-quality eggs, then it makes no sense health-wise, or financially, not to eat the yolks.

There is a major difference between PROTEIN and FAT and how they work in your body. The Paleo diet can be very high in protein and animal fat, but fat unless you have super high doses, is a good thing to have, even better if it comes from a variety of sources. There is Protein starvation and protein sickness that you can have if you are having lots of lean protein without the fats, your body needs them - fat is essential.

No, they don't have to be fully animal sourced, but when you are healing your body, all the good stuff in yolks outweighs the bad. Of course, this is just my opinion from going through all that I have and, just like your cross-trainer Paleo friend will have her opinions colored by her experiences, you have to figure out what works best for you.  That is the very exciting and scary thing about hacking your diet. There is no one size fits all solution.

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1408 on: July 11, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
Come-and-go poster, reporting! So I did my first Whole30 this Jan-Feb, joined this thread, and then did my second Whole30 May-Jun. Between those two Whole30s, I've lost over 20 lbs (and a total of 60 lbs over the past year), and my sugar and junk food cravings have dropped dramatically.

I'm mostly eating paleo now (except for special occasions and "worth-it" indulgences), because I really appreciate how my baseline eating patterns have gotten healthier and healthier. And, well, I still have maybe another 20-30 lbs to lose :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1409 on: July 11, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
Come-and-go poster, reporting! So I did my first Whole30 this Jan-Feb, joined this thread, and then did my second Whole30 May-Jun. Between those two Whole30s, I've lost over 20 lbs (and a total of 60 lbs over the past year), and my sugar and junk food cravings have dropped dramatically.

I'm mostly eating paleo now (except for special occasions and "worth-it" indulgences), because I really appreciate how my baseline eating patterns have gotten healthier and healthier. And, well, I still have maybe another 20-30 lbs to lose :)

Wow, congratulations!

I don't have much to say... I'm eating real food, but would like to do better.  A W30 might be in order for August.  Next weekend we're going to Portland and Seattle and Eating All The Things.  I still have the same annoying 10 pounds hanging around, but it's apparently not bugging me enough to buckle down and lose it.  I think I underestimated how many calories I was burning when I was riding 6 days a week last year (or maybe I just kept me too busy to eat or drink too much).  Most of this 10# showed up after selling my riding horse.  I wanted to lose it before starting my new horse, but now I'm wondering if it will just melt off naturally once I'm riding on a regular basis again...  I feel fine, and I look fine, but I'd rather look defined. ;)

tl;dr:  I do not have the discipline to really stick to rules of my own making.  I need Melissa Hartwig's voice shrilling about zero tolerance in the back of my head, apparently.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1410 on: July 11, 2016, 09:08:17 PM »
Another come and go poster reporting. I, along with my DH, flunked out of our whole 30 due to food boredom back in Jan. We discovered that we do really well at minimizing but not completely foregoing certain food groups. What stuck was black coffee, no pop/soda, minimizing sugar in anything that is not a dessert (even some of those get the sugar cut), minimizing carbs (my body sees carbs as pure sugar), and minimizing food additives. The good news is that we see this as a permanent change now. I have maintained my 25 lbs weight loss (as has my husband) since I began dialing back my diet (started in October 2015) and despite an overuse injury. DH is at his lowest weight since middle school, I suspect I have more weight to lose but am more concerned about improving fitness than anything else, which I am doing at a slower pace since the injury in the hopes I don't injure myself again.

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: July 12, 2016, 06:38:01 AM »
Re-intro is going... ok.  Things I thought wouldn't give me any issues have, which has been sad.  I'm terrified of dairy, and will be splitting this into two separate re-intro days (goat v. non-goat) just as a test.  Alcohol is just about the only thing that hasn't sent me straight to the bathroom, but then again, it makes my sleep super crappy... so.  just crap all around.

I think the re-intro more than anything will cause the eating habits to stick.  I really liked being in control of my body - the idea of going out to lunch later today and knowing exactly what to avoid because it will make me feel X is really great.  And not that I didn't know it before, but having a month of not having to worry about any of it really highlights that there's a different way to feel after eating food.  I know dairy will make me feel Y, but now I know legumes do Z... etc.

I did weigh myself this weekend and have lost 3lbs since 1 week into this (didn't have access to a scale before I started).

But then I'm going to Seattle next week and plan to eat all most of the things.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1412 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
Re-intro is going... ok.  Things I thought wouldn't give me any issues have, which has been sad.  I'm terrified of dairy, and will be splitting this into two separate re-intro days (goat v. non-goat) just as a test.

Don't know what your specific issues with dairy are, but you could also try lactose vs. lactose free. I also found a set point to how much I could have of cultured dairy before it would trigger my congestion/sinus flair ups/sore throat. It's not a lot, but it allows me to not sweat too much if there is cheese in something while I'm out, and I know if it does trigger if I avoid all dairy for a couple of days it resets.

It is a really good, powerful feeling to be able to look at and understand the bigger picture if how food relates to your body and that you have some control over it, even if the process of finding it out isn't that much fun.

Caoineag, Horsepoor, GoldenGrovw, so good to hear from you all!!

Caoineag - Way to go on maintaining your weight loss!! Sucks to hear about your injury, what kind of exercise are you focusing on? I've been slowly getting into a regular routine with my rebounder, I started just walking a few minutes at a time and now I can run on it for 45 min or so several times a day. I haven't made the leap to running outside, and I probably won't because it is so hard on my knees, but it has been an encouraging start.

Horsepoor - Have you decided when you will be getting your horse? I imagine once you start riding regularly again you'll get your definition back.

GoldenGrove - Awesome job on the weight loss and gaining control over the food cravings, that is the biggest challenge!Isn't it amazing how baselines you thought were set in stoned just seem to shift for the better?

I won't bore you all with an update since I kinda update as we go, but I will give 'yall an update on my hubby. He is getting there a little slower but still making progress. He is eating more carbs than I am, but he feels really crappy if he goes too low carb. He also has a much larger variety of temptations, because he found that too much of anything in excess doesn't agree with him and he doesn't react well to a lot of dairy, he has a lot of temptations (especially at work) that I don't have because I CAN'T do gluten.

For the most part though, I'm doing the cooking so we eat whole 30/paleo except when there is a special occasion. He isn't getting enough exercise and he's super stressed out at work so that is not helping, but he seems to be coping better and still making really good choices, his baseline has definitely shifted. We just got to get him RE or working from home like me so it is easier :)

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1413 on: July 12, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
Hey everyone!  I'm finally checking back in, and ready to rock out another Whole30 soon.  This summer has been crazy busy with extended family still living with me for a while and some vacation time, but even with the all the hustle, it's been a great summer so far. Unfortunately....it means that my eating has been crappy, which is why I'm ready to do another round of Whole30 now that my vacations are done.

I've been eating about 50% whole30 and 50% whatever crap I want, with the exception of sugar.  I've gone wild again with my sugar intake, and that has to stop. I've put back on some of my weight as a result. 

The meal plans are just starting to get into place and I'll likely start on Friday, July 15th.  I picked up some pork from Costco to make a big batch of Kahlua pork, and tonight I need to stock up on a ton of veggies.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: July 12, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
*Waves* Hi Mom22boys!

Glad you checked in, I was wondering how you are doing! Sounds like another whole30 reset would be great for you, I'll be following along and cheering for you!

jordanread

« Reply #1415 on: July 12, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
I'm definitely maintaining. On occasion, I do like buns on burgers, and I'm loving the cheese. That being said, I pretty much stopped drinking, and am kicking ass. I'm down over 35lbs this year (and sub-20% body fat...holy crap!!). However, I'm having a really fun time working around someone (Brother's GF) who is just starting keto. 4th of July involved burgers with portabella mushroom caps instead of buns. Oh man.

As a type 2 diabetic, I get panicky about people willingly put themselves into ketosis. If I have ketones in my urine I have to go to the hospital - is this not the case for normal, healthy people? I'm intrigued!

It's a wording thing. Ketones are involved in both. Nutritional Ketosis is different than Ketoacidosis, which is what those tests are checking. Hope that clears things up a little bit (or at least gets you the right things to go down a really fun Google wormhole).

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1416 on: July 12, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

Caoineag - Way to go on maintaining your weight loss!! Sucks to hear about your injury, what kind of exercise are you focusing on? I've been slowly getting into a regular routine with my rebounder, I started just walking a few minutes at a time and now I can run on it for 45 min or so several times a day. I haven't made the leap to running outside, and I probably won't because it is so hard on my knees, but it has been an encouraging start.

I do stair climbing as my main form of exercise. I also run 1x per week. My overuse injury was because I thought I could do stairs 5x per week, running 1x per week and 1 long walk on my day off. Turns out that doesn't actually count as rest...Whoopsie. I had to walk for a couple of weeks, then I could do about 25% of flight of stairs and my running (albeit slower speed) due to muscle failure (literally, my leg muscles refused to let me do it, no tendon or bone issue, pure lack of leaving the muscles time to repair). I am almost back at full strength now after 2-3 months of slowly rebuilding. Good news is since I know what that feels like I won't push myself over that line again.

The stair climbing is amazing for building leg and knee strength and works great as sort of a cross training for running (stair climbing will build your running speed and endurance in a way running never will). I did stair climbing for at least 3 months before running though to rebuild my bone density so the running wouldn't injure me. Which worked, I haven't given myself any stress fractures (and yes I was at risk of that, and yes I have given myself stress fractures in the past). In fact, several weird foot pains went away after I started doing the stairs on a regular basis and I don't have my arches complain if I run anymore either. Course my favorite part is that I can actually fit it into my work day both before work and during lunch. Otherwise, I am not sure when I would exercise except on the weekend.

I now do stairs 3-4 days per week, running 1x per week and a long walk 1x per week. I make one of my work days my day off (if I need 2, they are both during the work week) which works better than a weekend day when I would prefer to be active. Also, on my stair climbing days I do walking as a cool down. This level of activity feels really good to me without overusing anything so I will just keep at it. In fact, at the end of this month it will be one year since I started the stair climbing.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #1417 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:05 PM »
I have a bit of a challenge I am hoping you all can help me with.

I'm halfway through a semi whole30. I have been eating mostly compliant, but I have not been worrying about trace sugars. I have found that I am sensitive to such a laundry list of foods that it is easier to just stick to the whole thing. At the end of this week I am going to a ten day long festival where I want to feel my best. I will be working in a kitchen there in exchange for getting in free. In the interest of not making life impossible for everyone else, I have told them I will eat what I can and supplement with my own food. The food that is provided will be vegetarian lunches and mostly non vegetarian dinners that are prepared by rotating volunteers. Any ideas on what to bring? I will have very limited fridge and freezer space, but unlimited kitchen access and all the salad I could possibly want. I'll be cooking dinner for everyone on the third night, and was originally planning on making lots extra and freezing it, but it sounds like there will not be room in the freezer. I will not be eating 100% compliant, but want to keep it pretty close.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:08:43 PM by Botanist »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: July 13, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »
Hey Botanist!

It sounds like you have access to the important things! I would focus on Protein and higher fat stuff. You could bring Tuna with you to top salads (no need for the fridge) as well as a variety of nuts, A jar of nut butter is handy, you could make your own salad dressing to have on hand - wouldn't take up too much fridge space,  Bring your coconut aminos (or wheat free soy sauce if you arent sticking that close to whole 30) You could bring some chia seeds to mix into juice for an agua fresca or into nut milk for chia seed pudding (I know not 100 compliant) You could bring some Quinoa to cook if you need it (again not totally compliant, but if you are doing lots of high energy things you may need it) You coud bring some bananas for a quick snack, coconut milk (can usually find room for a can in the fridge). Also, if you have access to the kitchen, a big bag of sweet potatoes you could roast a few at a time would go a long ways.

I'm trying to sort out festival food too, except I won't have kitchen access and will have to pack everything in.  Oh, will you be able to bring in a cooler with some ice for the first few days? In that case I would bring a rotisserie chicken and a bunch of homemade california rolls (again not complaint with the rice) some roast beef, basically things you can grab and eat quick while you are getting into the routine of things. I always tend to think I'll have more time to actually prepare food then I end up.

If you do bring a cool, start making ice cubes now! I made a bunch of bullet proof coffee ice cubes, as they slowly melted in the cooler keeping things cold, I had iced coffee to drink! You could do this with nut milks or coconut water or even water you want to drink afterwards. My sister has a 5-day cooler, so it worked out that it melted enough each day for me to have my morning coffee every day it was brilliant!

I'm not sure what kind of festival you are going to but I think they keys to staying healthy and feeling awesome are hydrating - it is soo easy to forget! Having a few extra sets of ear plugs and pumping up your immune system before you go.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:27:43 AM by swick »

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #1419 on: July 15, 2016, 01:04:58 AM »
Swick,

Thank you for your reply! It's late and I am leaving in the AM, but I really appreciate the response and ideas, and wanted to leave a note to that effect before I take off.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1420 on: July 15, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
::Big Wave::

Hi from a long lost poster! I have been off the forums for many months now. Just. So. Busy. My big family keeps me hopping. I graduated from Whole 30 into a Paleo/Primal type of eating program called Trim Healthy Mama that my friend had great success with. I'm about half way to where I want to be and credit Whole30 for getting me this far. It was just the jump start I needed. I've lost 48 pounds since July 6/15 (in one year). Most of that was whole30 from October 2015
To about March 2016. I took a little break and now am fully committed to THM (Trim Healthy Mama). I love the increased variety with THM (dairy, stevia and grains) but still appreciate the restrictions. Paleo was a bit too loosie-goosie for me and I fell off the wagon.

Happy eating everyone!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: July 17, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
Wahoo! It is GOOD to hear from you, 1967mamma! :)

Awesome to hear that you are still making progress and have found a way to eat afterwards that is working for you!

I'm curious which parts of the Paleo you had trouble with? My complaint with it has always been (even before I looked into different ways of eating) is that just because you CAN have something, doesn't mean you should!

The majority of the recipes that are out there are for Paleo "desserts" that still have a ton of sweeteners or a shit ton of almonds (usually both) It's like gluten-free recipes that have cups of sugar in them. mmm no.

Our maintenance plan has pretty much been:
 - no sugar or natural sweeteners (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No dairy (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No Wheat
 - Small amounts of other grains/seeds (Buckwheat, chia, quinoa, rice, oats) mostly when we want a bit of variety or for Hubby's breakfasts.
 - Legumes - we are not opposed to, just haven't really been interested? Mostly we tend to have more in the winter time.

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: July 18, 2016, 07:50:47 AM »
Our maintenance plan has pretty much been:
 - no sugar or natural sweeteners (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No dairy (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No Wheat
 - Small amounts of other grains/seeds (Buckwheat, chia, quinoa, rice, oats) mostly when we want a bit of variety or for Hubby's breakfasts.
 - Legumes - we are not opposed to, just haven't really been interested? Mostly we tend to have more in the winter time.

This is helpful.  I should create something like this.  I didn't do the reintro right, but from what I can tell, pretty much everything I cut out makes me feel worse (poor sleep, upset tummy, other digestive issues).  I also hadn't realized that my post nasal drip had gone away -- until of course it came back.  So I think it would be good to create a modified version that works for me.  I start a week and a half of vacation today, so maybe that's something to think about on the plane. ;)

As a side note, has anyone heard of Butcher Box ( https://getbutcherbox.com/ )?  I don't really buy beef (but love it), and I don't spring for the grass fed when I do, so this feels really expensive to me.  I'm always looking for ways to get food delivered to me with my hectic schedule and no car though.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1423 on: July 18, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »
Hey Tig_,
Reintro took quite a bit longer than we were expecting (like longer than the whole 30) because we would try things a week at a time, or give up early because we didn't like the affects but go back to clean eating for a couple of days in between before we tried something new. Most things gave us an indicator pretty swiftly. It only took me one serving of wheat noodles for all my Fybro issues to flare up.

The biggest issues we discovered were with the wheat, dairy, and sugar...well and alcohol, but that's not surprising, but i should add that to my list. I guess the plus side is one drink now adays can get me good and buzzed. The downside is one drink also screws up my sleep and leaves me feeling shitty. One thing I have discovered is it is way, way worse if it has both sugar and alcohol...or the worst sugar, dairy and alcohol! Ahh well guess it is cheaper this way :)

SUGAR  - ANYONE have any thoughts, tips, challenges/solutions?

I know someone started a thread and they might pop in. It got me to thinking I know we have covered sugar in the thread, but it is getting rather long! Anyone have any new insights/tips or info?

For me, whenever I am tempted, I pull up a sugar documentary on Youtube, there are TONS out there! It cures my desire pretty quick:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y This one was pretty good for more of the science besides just "personal experience" ones.

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1424 on: July 18, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
Ah, sugar, my old nemesis :). I'm sure someone else has said this as well, but the more fat I eat, the less sugar I crave. For example, the first week of my second Whole30 I ate a ton of guacamole (with bell peppers. Yeah, I'm weird) and I had absolutely no cravings at all.

I've also noticed that when I eat food with sugar can make a difference. Sugar-induced cravings/munchies and energy swings are much less pronounced if I eat the food with sugar first and then eat something else with protein or fat afterwards. So basically I eat dessert first :). YMMV, but that's what has helped me.

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
Mmmmm, good to know.  Thanks swick!  Next time, I'll certainly do a longer reintro.  Pushing it up against a vacation wasn't a good idea, but it was the best I could do.

No tips on sugar sadly.  Will happily read others though!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1426 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
Hey ya'll! I'm back (ish!)
This last week I experimented with Keto full on, but decided to transform it into a Whole 30 (ish) plan instead for a bit. :)
I won't be 100% W30, but I'll be close (in fact I'll probably be doing something close to that maintenance plan, Swick!), and I enjoy learning from everyone here.
*waves*
:)

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1427 on: July 18, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
Ah, sugar, my old nemesis :).

+1, which is why I keep coming back to Whole 30 again and again. It's been my only solution, which is to quit cold turkey with all sugar.  My mind just seems to deal better with an all/nothing type mentality when it comes to sugar, although I wish desperately that I have an 'everything in moderation' mind. One other thing I'm going to do this week is reread 'It Starts with Food', which will have a similar effect to what Swick was talking about with watching a documentary.

I also think you have a good point GoldenGrove about eating more fat helping with the sugar cravings.  I've experienced the same thing....and of course satiated in general.

Today is day 3 for me (started on the 16th).  When I picked my approximate starting day, I didn't think about all the events coming up; I was just thinking about not having to deal with traveling.  Thinking through my schedule, it's going to be a little tough. First is a work picnic (full for fair food), then a wedding, a baby shower, a bridal shower, and neighborhood party all in the next 27 days.  Agghhhh!  But I know I can do it, since I've dealt with these challenges in my previous rounds. Learning to say no to food is a powerful thing, and I have to remind myself of that again. Everyday is not a holiday/party even though I've been eating like it is. 

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1428 on: July 19, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
Gonna go home and read more about this I'm definitely Interested only read one page and not sure exactly what to eat but as of right now I mainly eat meat, fruit ,veg, beans, nuts,, seeds,and some potatoes and water...

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1429 on: July 20, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
Gonna go home and read more about this I'm definitely Interested only read one page and not sure exactly what to eat but as of right now I mainly eat meat, fruit ,veg, beans, nuts,, seeds,and some potatoes and water...

Welcome Shawn77777! From what you listed above, you are awfully close to Whole30 already.  Just -beans and maybe -some veggies (like corn and peas).  :-)  There might be a few other little sneaky things here and there you need to watch out for that you didn't list, so I would still recommended reading more about it. 

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that there is more than enough food to eat on the Whole30.  It's just CHANGING your 'normal' meals for your new normal meals that are compliant.  The hardest part is that not everyone else eats this way, and there is still a lot of processed crap offered, so that's where the hard part comes in. 

Let us know if you have any questions and have fun reading!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1430 on: July 20, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
Yep, welcome, shawn77777!!

Sounds like your diet is already pretty dialed in. Here is the basics for Whole 30: http://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

How are you doing Mom22boys? What are your meals looking like for this week?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1431 on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
Hey Swick!  My week has been going great.  Last weekend was full of prepping Kahlua pork and tuna cakes from NomNomPaleo, two of my favorites. We also grilled pork chops later in the week.  Tomatoes are just starting to get ripe in my garden so I'm also enjoying them fresh from the garden. It really does become like riding a bike, and it's been pretty easy to cut out all the junk again, plus I'm getting some more time to actually DO food prep, rather than just planning to do food prep.

But....with that said, I thought about this a lot yesterday and I'm going to suspend this round of Whole30 due to all the events I listed previously.  I don't want to be that person that brings a cooler with to a wedding just so I can eat something (it's an all day event).  Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with being 'that person' in many situations like going to dinner, etc, but I've decided that this wedding isn't the time or place.  I want to enjoy the time with all my family instead of worrying about what to eat. 

I'm still eating mostly Whole30 though until I get past these events, and then I'll restart for an official 30 days. Right now I'm thinking August 14. That will get me done right before a week of travel for work (which means another reintro crash course).  This trip is international so I won't have the luxury of bringing much food with me.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: August 16, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »
Sorry, I've been crazy busy and haven't been checking in.

How are you doing, mom22boys? Did you restart your whole 30 in Aug?

Looks like I am up for another round in Sept! I don't think I really need it at this point, but I have convinced my bestie to do her first round. It is going to be hard for her as she doesn't have any local support and her hubby and son are probably not going to join her, or may try but they have so many dislikes (potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs any way except deviled, hot spices) that she is going to have a challenge. She also is very much a "cook from the recipe, basic ingredients " type  and runs her own business so doesn't have a huge amount of time.

So with all that in mind I am starting to collect recipes for her! Khalua Pork is an obvious one. Anyone else have any ideas? I tend to cook without recipes and free wheel and am pretty comfortable in the kitchen so I'm not a huge amount of help with this, but I really want her to be successful!

Also, anyone up for joining us in Sept? It's almost been a full year since this thread started, I can't even believe  it and how far so many of us have come! Major thanks and gratitude to everyone who has contributed to this thread and joined in on the journey :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1433 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
New excellent recipe (Whole30 compliant) I found last week:

Brazilian Chicken with Coconut Milk

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
cherry tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley

In a medium bowl, mix the cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and coriander. Place the chicken in the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and rub on all sides with the spice mixture.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet. Cook 10 to 15 minutes on each side, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet. Cook and stir the onion, ginger, jalapeno peppers, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Mix in the tomatoes and continue cooking 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk. Serve over the chicken. Garnish with the parsley.

Made it a few days ago.  I've never had Brazilian food before, but it was fantastic!  I would definitely recommend it, and it reheats well.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1434 on: August 17, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
That sounds AWESOME Ketchup! Thank you for sharing!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1435 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Hey all.  Wife and I started the Whole-30 yesterday.  She's been having some gluton issues so was going to start and I am diving in as well, heck might help with my high cholesterol/triglycerides.

We bought the book, but I plan to see what other posters have mentioned here to get us through.

Thanks for starting the group!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1436 on: August 17, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »
Hey all.  Wife and I started the Whole-30 yesterday.  She's been having some gluton issues so was going to start and I am diving in as well, heck might help with my high cholesterol/triglycerides.

We bought the book, but I plan to see what other posters have mentioned here to get us through.

Thanks for starting the group!

Awesome, wrightstuff!! It is so great you are doing this with your wife, it is so much easier to be successful when you have full support of those you love/live with!

There is a TON of info in the thread, if you have any specific questions, definitely reach out! I'll be offline from Sat to the 1st of Sept. - but this community rocks!

One thing I would suggest if it is your first is to create a list of ALL your health issues, even ones that you think might not be connected to food or things you have dealt with for so long you just figured "that's how you are" Chances are a lot of things will shift for you so having a list to start is a handy reference for you later on and a great way to see how much your life has changed :)

jordanread

« Reply #1437 on: August 17, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
Team,

I forgot this thread of the forum. However, I will say that using Portobello caps instead of buns are a good thing. Every time, they've been amazing.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:58 AM »
@Swick,

I'm excited to be rejoining you for my 5th Whole30 on September 1st! I'm 11 months into my weight loss journey and have really stalled out for the last 7 months or so. I haven't regained at all, but just no further loss. I still have 30-40 lbs to lose (with a BMI still just over 30), so I know that its just my eating that is preventing me from releasing the rest of the weight.

Reading up in my Whole 30 books with my highlighter pen in hand in the next 2 weeks and digging out some recipes that were winners. I am thinking of making a binder of my favorite Whole30 recipes and ideas so everything is one place. I saw the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook at Costco the other day and really liked it when I borrowed it from the library. I may go back and buy it, or be more Mustachian and reborrow it from the library! haha!

I miss the simplicity of Whole30 and I miss eating whatever I want (from the list of compliant foods) whenever I want.

Looking forward to rejoining our little community here - has been such a great support and encouragement to me!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1439 on: August 18, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
@Swick,

I'm excited to be rejoining you for my 5th Whole30 on September 1st!

WAHOO! glad you will be joining me!

Re: the weight loss stall, a friend of mine is doing an exploration around "the new sobriety" which deals with Alcohol addiction, but I was reading his first post on it last night and my immediate thought was, wow that pretty much applies to everything. Basically, if you decide to give something up, you only have to do that once (as hard a decision as it might be to come to)

Otherwise, you are forever on a sliding scale of trying to figure when is enough, enough? or too much? or having to exhaust our finite amount of willpower to make those decisions. It's a quick read if you are interested.http://www.thisepiclife.com/sobriety-1/

I have found that since I haven't been able to eat gluten anymore or I feel like shit, it has freed up a huge amount of will and brain power and even physical space in my life. I don't have to agonize about it when people ask me, the answer will always be "no thanks"

This week, I even got rid of ALL my artisan bread cookbooks and any others that were full of stuff I don't want to eat anymore. That was really hard, but allowed me to reorganize my cookbooks and low and behold I have enough to fit on one shelf (for the first time ever) and I can actually see the to use them!  The space it created mentally and physically has been great!

It's been a little harder with the sugar, because well I don't *have* to give it up as I don't have quite the same negative reaction to gluten, and I'm ok with having a little bit on occasion, but I definitely find myself having to weigh every decision, using will-power, and thinking about it more. It's a work in progress :)

What do you think about starting a public google doc for recipes? I have been meaning to do this and combing the thread, to start - but my plate has been overflowing lately. If a couple of people want to jump on board and help we could get a pretty handy resource started pretty quick!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1440 on: August 18, 2016, 07:21:12 PM »
What do you think about starting a public google doc for recipes? I have been meaning to do this and combing the thread, to start - but my plate has been overflowing lately. If a couple of people want to jump on board and help we could get a pretty handy resource started pretty quick!
I'd be 100% in favor of that, and willing to help out!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1441 on: August 18, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »

Awesome! Folder link with editing privileges here:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1uK0vXsPTVuNUZkRzhQNVMyZDQ?usp=sharing

I just did a quick recipe template and created some folders for organization. There may be a better way to do this and if anyone wants to update change things up/customize that is great!

jordanread

« Reply #1442 on: August 19, 2016, 08:12:37 AM »

Awesome! Folder link with editing privileges here:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1uK0vXsPTVuNUZkRzhQNVMyZDQ?usp=sharing

I just did a quick recipe template and created some folders for organization. There may be a better way to do this and if anyone wants to update change things up/customize that is great!

I'll throw some documents in there. I think it's a great idea, and would have started something, but it turns out my current shared folder is actually owned by someone else. Plus it also contains primal/paleo things too and workouts, not just Whole30.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1443 on: August 19, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »

I'll throw some documents in there. I think it's a great idea, and would have started something, but it turns out my current shared folder is actually owned by someone else. Plus it also contains primal/paleo things too and workouts, not just Whole30.

Expanding to include some primal/paleo folders or plans like Keto or Healthy Trim Moma (I think that is the one several have gone onto for maintenance) Would be AWESOME!

Part of the problem with whole 30 has always been, What is next? So having some options to consider AFTER Whole 30 would be a great resource!

Jordanread - please add to as you like! I think just creating different clearly labeled topic folders would be the way to go so we don't create confusion for people (as we sometimes do in this thread, because we are all in different places) :)

jordanread

« Reply #1444 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »

Expanding to include some primal/paleo folders or plans like Keto or Healthy Trim Moma (I think that is the one several have gone onto for maintenance) Would be AWESOME!

Part of the problem with whole 30 has always been, What is next? So having some options to consider AFTER Whole 30 would be a great resource!

Jordanread - please add to as you like! I think just creating different clearly labeled topic folders would be the way to go so we don't create confusion for people (as we sometimes do in this thread, because we are all in different places) :)

I just copied the shared folder, and I'll add it as a subfolder called ToSort under the tips and resources. I also added a maintenance folder and a reintro one.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: August 19, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »

I just copied the shared folder, and I'll add it as a subfolder called ToSort under the tips and resources. I also added a maintenance folder and a reintro one.

Awesome Sauce! Thank you!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1446 on: August 19, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
Dude this is neat! Thanks for creating this! I'm in a low-internet situation so can't contribute much right now (and not currently on a Whole30) but awesomeeeeee.

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1447 on: August 23, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
Well Folks, just started day 8!  It's been a good voyage so far, DW and I have made it through the 3 days of sugar withdrawal and 4 days of a bit of blah and bloating to today.  I'm not even missing my coffee "with frosting" that I had every morning.

A big thank you to whomever talked about Frank's hot sauce, it's really getting me through breakfasts.

The past 2 days have been so eye opening, I had a peach that was almost too sweet and last night my baked sweet potato tasted like I had put on my formally normal tablespoon of brown sugar.

No big changes otherwise that we've noticed, I am hungry again for the first time in a few days, not sure what that means.

I'm slowly catching up on the posts, they help keep me inspired!

Thanks everyone!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1448 on: August 26, 2016, 11:02:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,  I'm joining up!

Yesterday I had another hypoglycemic moment (or hour. Or two. perhaps three). After not getting around to breakfast or lunch, but managing cake for morning tea and then several cookies for afternoon tea I collapsed. I was at home with a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old and could barely get it together enough to call my husband to get home and rescue us. There was no way I could look after my kids - the 5 yr old was patting my face while I lay almost unconscious on the bathroom floor. That was not fair to her. It wasn't fair to me. It's time I stopped this.

So I've started Whole 30 today. I'm still learning, and I'll be going back through the posts here (but gosh there are a lot of them!). I haven't quite worked out how it differs from paleo and I hope I'm not accidentally breaking the rules with some things (sweet potatos?). I'm significantly overweight but right now all I want is to stop making myself ill by the shite I'm eating. Weight loss can come later, first comes the right food.

I want to start feeling good again.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1449 on: August 26, 2016, 06:24:50 PM »
Hi Screwit!  I am glad to hear that you're taking action after such a scary episode!

Whole30 is a strict version of paleo.  Sweet potatoes are "legal" for both Paleo and Whole30, though you'll find that some people choose to dial down the carbs and limit or eliminate sweet and or white potatoes altogether.  I highly encourage you to read "It Starts with Food" as soon as you can, to help understand the rules and why you're doing this.  As you go through the process, you'll gain a better understanding of how sweet potatoes and other "good" carbs work for you personally, and you can choose to limit them if needed for optimal results.  Just eliminating the refined carbs might be a bit of a shock to your system at first though, and some unrefined carbs can be helpful to soften the blow of the "carb flu."  The first week you might be wondering WTF you're doing to yourself, but it will get better.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!