Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427053 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1300 on: March 29, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »

You guys are so right about the power of planning...nothing better than a fridge full of tupperware! (Though my Snaplock lids are starting to break, boooooo) \

So it appears that Glasslock will replace lids for just the cost of shipping!  http://glasslockusa.com/product-category/replacement-parts/

This is awesome; none of mine have broken, but I can tell they're getting a little brittle, and my dogs chewed up one of them.  The glass part seems like it will last forever, so I'm going to take advantage of this!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1301 on: March 30, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »
horsepoor: Eeeek! Thanks for the link, I really hope they have lids that fit my tupperware! Going to check as soon as I get home. The failure point is the joint...maybe my own fault because I tend to microwave the plastic top along with the glass bottom (loose, just to prevent splatter).

Orvell: Glad round 2 is going well for you, that frittata looks amazing. To spread out the effort, you could eat roasted sweet potatoes one day and throw leftovers in the frittata the next.

Day 17. With the copious amounts of cooking and dishwashing (I could make bigger batches of food, but prefer variety), I find my appreciation for not having to do it greatly increased. When bf cooks or washes dishes, I am SO happy and thankful. And this Saturday I got invited to a charity cocktail party, which I reeeeally didn't want to agree to (but felt sort of obligated to spend time with friends despite suckiness of not being able to drink/eat anything served)...but then I made plans to do another Aladdin's dinner on the way! Already daydreaming about chicken salad with baba ganoush.

The restriction is also giving me a greater appreciation of being able to be less strict most of the time...compared to people with severe allergies or my cousin who has intense limitations due to illness. After 30 days I'll be able to go back to eating these things (after reintroduction, in moderate amounts) but some people actually live with these challenges all the time. It's humbling when I remember how much I've whined and how depressed I've felt about not being able to go out without lots of debate and planning. I have the resources to spend as much as I like on delicious, healthy, ethically sourced groceries. I have the love of cooking and excitement about trying new foods and recipes. I have a well-appointed kitchen to craft dishes in, with a soon-to-be-complete tupperware collection. (Plus I've lost ~5lb in the first two weeks of the W30.) Life is pretty darn good.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1302 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
@rawr237:
That's a really good idea about the prep split! I might have to try that this weekend. Despite my poo-pooing it, I've actually really enjoyed having it as leftovers for breakfast. I think with some process and content tweaking it might be a good staple!  :) Thanks for the idea!

Day 9
I FEEL A TASTE OF TIGER BLOOD, KIDS. AND IT'S GR8.
I've been more motivated at work, and I actually set up an Etsy store last night for the side hustle/passion and started the (long) process of making it known to the world.
o_O;;
I know it's not all food. I know it's not magic.
But DAMN. I'll take it. 8D

Food today:
Leftover sweet potato "quiche" for breakfast, some almonds and a bit of avocado for a mid-morning snack, and soon to be feasting on an asparagus/pork/brussle sprout dish I made last night (It's pretty yummy! I didn't follow a recipe, but it turned out fun, and should serve as lunches and/or dinners for the rest of the week easily. I used lots of garlic and coconut milk and ginger and am really enjoying the flavor palate. Cooking meat is still new and fun to play with.)

Tonight I'm going out with some co-workers. Not entirely sure what I'll eat, only what I won't. It'll be alright, hopefully fun, but I'm already steeling myself for the barrage. It will probably be less-awful than I expect. We'll see.
Part of the issue is I don't really know HOW to explain myself? I did this originally because soy was causing me issues, and I needed to get a handle on my eating habits. Both of these things are still true. But I'm not doing it again because I need to SCIENCE why my body reacts to certain foods a certain way. I'm doing it because it feels healthy and good. Weirdly enough people have the hardest time with that answer over others...

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1303 on: March 31, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »
Orvell: Np, I haaaate multistep recipes and am always looking for ways to make the effort barrier lower. Frittatas/quiches are great for using up leftovers with new flavors in general. Excited for you and your tiger blood! (Wow that's a weird sentence)

Day 18
Kind of exciting, I'm actually losing track of the days because it's less of a big deal. I only count to see when I can participate in certain social activities. Last night I made meat patties from Paleo Takeout, uses a method of mixing 1lb meat with 2TB tapioca starch, plus seasonings, in a food processor. It makes for a 'smoother' texture, in the Asian style. The recipe called for 1TB fish sauce which I shorted (because so smelly!)...it was SO pungent during pan-frying I worried they would come out gross, but after cooking the flavors blended harmoniously. Bf added maple syrup to his (that's how subtle the fish sauce flavor is), and was so happy because the texture is closer to the sausage patties served at restaurants. Next time I would double the recipe, maybe do a breakfast-seasoned version.

Also made the lamb meatballs (http://soletshangout.com/roasted-kabocha-squash-carrot-ginger-soup-with-lamb-meatballs/) and they came out great.

I tried the broccoli salad someone else posted and it was...okay for us. Bf did not like that it was cold, I think I might just try adding a squirt of lemon to roasted broccoli instead.

Continuously adding new things to make from this thread plus my cookbooks is really helping me stick with it and not get bored.
Tonight, carnitas from Well Fed and spinach soup!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #1304 on: March 31, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »
Orvell:
Also made the lamb meatballs (http://soletshangout.com/roasted-kabocha-squash-carrot-ginger-soup-with-lamb-meatballs/) and they came out great.
I'm not doing the whole 30, just chiming in to say I love that soup, and I have some stored in my freezer.  I didn't think I would because kabocha squash is really sweet, but it really turned out well.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1305 on: April 01, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
I'm still trying to get enough funds to loosen up the grocery budget so we can take the plunge. Anyone doing this with kids without a horrendous grocery budget? Lunches for kids are my particular problem. We eat pretty whole30 for dinner. Breakfast is easy.

I would love to hear frugal, whole30 school lunch ideas, please?

Mongoose - I'm a mom to two boys who eat non-stop. During the four times I've done Whole30, I don't have my kids stick to the rules 100%. There are just too many things I can't control (hello cupcake at school for a kid's birthday). Do I really think my boys will turn down those foods because their mom is doing Whole30?  Heck no!  But of course, that doesn't mean I let them eat whatever they want. Supper for them will be whatever I eat, which is Whole30 (when I'm doing the program strictly). For lunches, my oldest will get some leftovers (which are whole30) because he can use the microwave to warm up food. I have at least 2 cold packs in his insulated lunch bag, and it's worked great so far. My youngest isn't allowed to use the microwaves yet, so he will often get sandwiches, along with other good stuff likes veggies, fruit, apple sauce (with NO sugar), string cheese (NOT Whole30).

As a single mom, I just don't have the energy to try to make them be 100% compliant. (although this wouldn't be any different if I was still married). Also, remember that Whole30 is an elimination diet and is not meant to be your diet forever. It's a tool to find out if you have issues with any foods, and to give you more control over what you eventually choose to eat moving forward. My kids just aren't old enough to really give a lot of thought to this, and they definitely aren't good yet at communicating how a food makes them feel.  That will come with time. Of course, there are always exceptions to this when kids have clear allergies/reactions to food.  Thankfully the only issue with food we have is with eggs for my oldest.  It clearly gives him a stomach ache when he eats them. I wish you the best as you try to figure this out!

The restriction is also giving me a greater appreciation of being able to be less strict most of the time...compared to people with severe allergies or my cousin who has intense limitations due to illness. After 30 days I'll be able to go back to eating these things (after reintroduction, in moderate amounts) but some people actually live with these challenges all the time. It's humbling when I remember how much I've whined and how depressed I've felt about not being able to go out without lots of debate and planning. I have the resources to spend as much as I like on delicious, healthy, ethically sourced groceries. I have the love of cooking and excitement about trying new foods and recipes. I have a well-appointed kitchen to craft dishes in, with a soon-to-be-complete tupperware collection. (Plus I've lost ~5lb in the first two weeks of the W30.) Life is pretty darn good.

rawr237 - Absolutely agree!  I often think too of other countries where people just don't have access to safe food, or even food in general. Why am I so blessed to be born in the US, healthy, able to eat whatever I want, and on and on? Unfortunately I still slip occasionally into my old habits of laziness and "I deserve it" mentality but those thoughts are becoming more scarce. 
Also, to your comments earlier about the budget exploding. In addition to your savings on junk food, there is typically a cycle too, meaning you may spend a lot one month, but often you aren't eating all of that food. Some of the meat may go into the freezer, and expensive olive/avocado oil will last 2 months, and so on. I think it's well worth it.  :-)

Update for the week
I'm on day 18 and things are going great. As others are finding out, it gets easier and easier each round you do of the Whole30. This week I made those yummy meatballs that I posted earlier.  They feed me all week for my lunches, along with caulirice and cherry tomatoes. Breakfast was deviled eggs and fruit. Supper was kalua pork all week with boiled potatoes and ghee. This time I didn't use any bacon with the pork (didn't have any compliant) and instead used smoked paprika.  It was honestly the best batch I've had yet. 
My sleep has been really good, but I'm still finding that I need A LOT OF SLEEP! I need to get my menu planned for next week.  More veggies are necessary, since I know I'm not getting enough, and not enough variety. Also, I'm starting to reduce the amount of fruit I eat. I think that will help more with guarding off teh sugar dragon after I'm done with the 30 days. 
A few days after day 30 is my birthday, so I've already started the mental game of "Do I or don't I eat sugar on my birthday?".  I'm not sure yet which side is winning.  :-)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1306 on: April 02, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
Day 12
Okay you know how I said this time 'round was easier? I mean, it still is.
But FUCK guys. This morning I woke up wanting cake and whisky. I can taste it in my mind. It's horrible. I want it.

Slept in later than usual (made it past 8 o'clock! Sound the trumpets!) and, via herculean efforts, did NOT make or procure or eat cake. Instead I made a weird frittata! I had only 3 eggs left (booo!) but I stretched 'em and made it work. Came out pretty good, and should serve as several more breakfasts.
I still need to do my meal-prep for the week, though. Debating what I want to do... What I REALLY want to do is fire up the grill and make a shit ton of chicken wings. Today's weather sucks, but I'm hoping I'll have time tomorrow.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1307 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
Go Orvell! Way to go on not eating the cake (or drinking whiskey...pretty funny cravings to wake up with, you have to admit). That frittata looks yummy.

I have more chicken wings in my fridge too. It's becoming a weekly thing, ha. I will FINALLY try that salt and pepper recipe this time. Also on the menu: Nom Nom Paleo's bacon burgers, Paleo Takout Gyro meat, whole roasted cauliflower, pureed rutabaga.

Went to the Saturday cocktail party, ate/drank nothing but water. Ate at Aladdin's and it was amazing - ended up kinda pricey (my grilled chicken salad + small baba ganoush + mint tea = ~$22 with tip, but stretched to two meals) but such a luxury to not have to cook/clean. Bf took apart and cleaned the grill this weekend, and after putting it back together...it doesn't work right lol. So my plan to have him grill half our meals this week was foiled.

Day 22
Can't believe I'm on the last full week! I slacked off on my meal prep this weekend, but I still have coconut milk, mayo, pesto, leftover soup and carnitas in the fridge. The carnitas (from Well Fed) came out...just okay, a little dry and took longer than expected. I want to take another run at that recipe soon, using smaller chunks of meat.

Last night I blended up 2lb of sausage and made patties again, but after bf cooked them they were TINY.

Pre-dinner conversation:
Bf: What's for dinner?
Me: 'sausage patties...and there's leftover green beans'
Bf: 'That doesn't sound very filling' (looks in fridge) 'There are hot dogs, I can grill those too'

I'm having trouble overcoming his mindset that protein + veg can't possible be a full meal. 'Veggies aren't filling', etc. His default solution is apparently to make TWO kinds of meat. *facepalm* My current solution is to tell him to microwave a sweet potato. Last night I didn't cook a vegetable (there were roasted green beans, and spinach soup, and pumpkin soup in the fridge)...

I ate = 3 sausage patties (not feeling well = not hungry, or else I would have added soup)
He ate = ~6 sausage patties, sweet potato with cinnamon and butter

He is not as concerned with optimizing the budget and minimizing waste as I am (I HATE food waste), being more concerned with what he feels like eating (and yes, it feels like I'm cooking for a child sometimes). Since before I moved back he ate out all the time, I can see how that would lead to expectation of eating whatever you want whenever you want it. Bf does recognize the benefits - he's lost weight and saved money, and usually he enjoys my home-cooked meals - but I don't think he fully realizes how much additional effort I put in to try to keep him happy...especially since his favorite foods are cheesy carbs.

Sorry for the whine/rant, done now!

My work team is planning a beer tasting bus tour, I requested that it be scheduled next Friday (post-W30), fingers crossed that the date works out.

Thinking about making meatza: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/02/16/dinner-and-a-movie%E2%84%A2-meatza-pie-and-the-vancouver-olympics/ *drool*

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: April 04, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Well, I thought about doing another Whole 30 in April but honestly I can't muster the mental energy needed for that at this point.  But since my primary problem is SUGAR (and I didn't discover any food intolerances or allergies during my first Whole 30), I have decided to just do a "no added sugar month" in April.  Today is day 4. 

So I'll be hanging out with all of you here again and getting inspired by your awesome posts, recipes and meal ideas!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1309 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
ZiziPB -- sugar is also my problem. I was going to start another Whole30 today, but now you've got me wondering if I should just do 30 days of no sugar. What to do...what to do....hmmm!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1310 on: April 04, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
Guys, I think I'm going to drop out of this Whole30.
Before you all have kittens, here's both my explanation and my plan:
(With number breakdowns! Because numbers are fun.)

1) I really like how I feel when I'm doing the Whole30. This is my second one (Day 14!) and I've learned loads from it.
2) It's taught me I do well with rules. And that without rules I slip back into my old habits whole hog.
3) That said, it's very limiting, and I want to be able to eat foods I know don't negatively affect me and not worry in social settings.
4) SO! I'm going to, starting today, do a weird hybrid approach. I'm still ironing out the details, but I'm not going to worry about things when I'm eating out or at a friend's house. I am, however, going to keep To A Plan while at home. That means seriously keeping sugar down to a minimum (I'm either going to do a 'you can use it 2x a week' or 'every other week is full no-sugar) (like all ya'll my sugar dragon is the real enemy here) and keeping baked goods limited, too. I'm going to continue to mostly cook Whole30 ish. Just less stringently. :)
5) Hopefully this will still be awesome for me, but also give me the freedom to worry less and enjoy more.
6) I'm still gonna haunt this place. ;) You can't get rid of me.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1311 on: April 04, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »
I'm going to, starting today, do a weird hybrid approach. I'm still ironing out the details, but I'm not going to worry about things when I'm eating out or at a friend's house. I am, however, going to keep To A Plan while at home. That means seriously keeping sugar down to a minimum (I'm either going to do a 'you can use it 2x a week' or 'every other week is full no-sugar) (like all ya'll my sugar dragon is the real enemy here) and keeping baked goods limited, too. I'm going to continue to mostly cook Whole30 ish. Just less stringently. :)

This is basically what we do. Food we batch-prep is Whole 30-compliant. My breakfasts are also. We don't stress out too much about it on the weekends, when eating at restaurants, or with friends. And we like alcohol.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1312 on: April 04, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
I'm going to, starting today, do a weird hybrid approach. I'm still ironing out the details, but I'm not going to worry about things when I'm eating out or at a friend's house. I am, however, going to keep To A Plan while at home. That means seriously keeping sugar down to a minimum (I'm either going to do a 'you can use it 2x a week' or 'every other week is full no-sugar) (like all ya'll my sugar dragon is the real enemy here) and keeping baked goods limited, too. I'm going to continue to mostly cook Whole30 ish. Just less stringently. :)

This is basically what we do. Food we batch-prep is Whole 30-compliant. My breakfasts are also. We don't stress out too much about it on the weekends, when eating at restaurants, or with friends. And we like alcohol.
*Salutes*
Glad to know I won't be alone. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1313 on: April 04, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
Hi All!

Life got busy, haven't had a chance to respond as often as I would like.

Orvell - I don't think there is anything wrong with re-jigging the whole 30 experience to fit you. Remember, it isn't SUPPOSE to be a long-term diet. So figuring out how you want to eat going forward is super important.

Zizi and 1967 mamma - I think continuing with a 30 day no sugar plan is a great idea!

I'm still plugging along. Hubby has been working crazy hours which is making things harder, and he is just about to start 14-16 hour nights for the next 15 days or so in a row. He's stressed, I'm stressed, I miss him. This is the time when I am bored and lonely that the cravings really kick in. Not to mention both our sleeping patterns are going to go for a shit. I'm hoping the healthy food will help counter some of that.

Also, apparently our oven circuitry is on the fritz, so not sure how that is going to screw with my plans. I'm currently roasting sweet potatoes in our toaster oven. We'll see how she goes :)

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1314 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
I second doing a WhateverYouWantToCallIt30, doing part of the plan is better than not doing it at all. It is what you make of it. I feel like this time around I'm not looking for the same things I was last time (my digestion has been better lately, so mostly looking to be healthier/lighter/more energetic).

swick: That schedule sounds BRUTAL. Good luck to both of you!

Day 23
One week left. I reeeeally want a glass of wine. Not in an I-might-cave kind of way, just kind of grouchy about it. Wine make cooking/cleaning feel less like work. Have to make sure when I reintroduce I find a good moderation point, because it's too easy for weekend drinking only to turn into just one glass on a weekday to a couple glasses every night. Not good for my goals or my energy. I'm leaning towards allowing a glass a few times a week, a glass or two on weekend nights -- would like it to add up to no more than 4-5 glasses/week. Also because it impacts budget (but I can't wait til I don't have to turn down fancy wine shared by the parents).

Still not having fun with the cooking for bf while all he really wants is carbs, meat, and cheese. Will have to figure out how I'm going to cook and eat after the challenge...right now I feel like I could stay mostly W30 indefinitely, except for free meals at work and occasional homemade treats. Except for the added restriction of cooking things he likes (so if I make cauliflower or eggplant, etc, I also make sure there's a vegetable he likes). Will have to work on my batch cooking skills.

I made the Kitchen Magpie S+P wings, they were DELICIOUS but not as crispy as I'd like. Next time would do them on the baking rack. I want to put the garlic sesame oil on everything.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1315 on: April 08, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »
Day 25
I've been printing out more and more recipes to try, so my meals have been far from boring.  In fact, they are delicious! Here's one for Bang Bang shrimp that is divine.  Put it over spaghetti squash or caulirice.  So good!

http://www.platedwithstyle.com/2014/01/01/bang-bang-shrimp/

Orvell's post got me think ahead for my plans after Day 30.  Do I do a reintro?  Stay on plan?  Something else? Rather than doing a reintro (which I've somewhat done before), I had actually been thinking along similar lines of doing a hybrid, kinda like Philociraptor. Sugar is still my largest weakness and I know I'm very prone to going back to full blown sugar binges, which I don't want to happen. Here's my current thoughts:
1 - Cooking at home remains Whole30, except for trace sugar.  Even trace amounts I'm going to limit as much as possible.
2 - Absolutely NO additional sugar outside the trace amounts. I want to stick with no sugar for at least 4-6 months. (Wanna join mama1967? Not sure what you decided on)
3 - When I'm eating out, at friends house, etc then I will enjoy myself and eat what I'm served or what's available. But, still NO sugar!

I really want to be the 'everything on moderation' eater, but I've just found that I'm not. I have to deal with it, and adjust to it.  Life isn't fair and there are things that could be much worse.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1316 on: April 08, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
Thanks for the invitation Mom22Boys! I have 1967daughter coming home from a 2 week trip on Sunday and will decide then whether to move forward with another whole30 (I tried and failed the other day...bahhh!)

Every breakfast is perfect but then it's a slow slide as the day goes on. Weight is hovering around the same point.

Not sure what to do next. Still have 40 lbs to go. I'm such a sugar addict:-(((

I'm looking into Trim Healthy Mama. They are similar but allow oats and Greek yogurt. Also they allow stevia. No wheat still.

I'm a bit exasperated at the moment, as you can probably tell:-/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1317 on: April 11, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
How is everyone doing? Share your updates!!

Sorry for the radio silence! I have been trucking along. It has been *really* difficult just in general with Hubby's insane work schedule.  I have still kept things complaint for me and for the most part for him, except he has been having homemade granola over yogurt for breakfasts. He doesn't seem to have any issues with dairy or oats and it has been a life-saver having something that requires no thought or prep after his 15-16 hour nightshifts. On that note, I better check his granola supply.

I finally got around to making the chicken curry from the Whole 30 cookbook, except I roasted a couple of heads of cauliflower and used that instead of chicken since my chicken wasn't thawed yet. I think it is entirely dependent on the quality of your yellow curry powder that you use, but it was delish! It is a very simple recipe too with pantry staples.

Rawr237 - I had a thought about the BF. Could you be on the lookout for a cheap panini press? I have found them at thrift stores and garage sales. Having buns in the freezer a meat option on hand and some toppings makes a super easy meal or meal addition. Hot, toasty, cheesy...should meet your BF's needs and not drive you crazy trying to cook two different meals or worry about always having to supplement for him.

1967mamma - I think at the end of the day you have to figure out what works for you! Especially those of us who are on a longer-term journey to get back to healthy :) The sugar is by far the hardest part! if you look at it like coming off any addictive substance or drug, it is literally a one day at a time challenge. It is a socially acceptable and encouraged drug. I'm kinda surprised there aren't actual recovery programs for sugar addicts.

Also, I would really encourage you to go back and read some of your first posts from this thread. You have come a long, long ways and made so many life-changes and such amazing progress. It is easy to get frustrated as it takes longer to notice results and the wins seem a little smaller the more progress you make, but if you look at the overall picture - what you have accomplished in the last 7 or so months is awesome!

Everyone: What wins and successes are you celebrating today?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1318 on: April 11, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »
I'm starting the challenge hwen I get back from Chicago on Wednesday. I might delay it for a few days to get everything in my kitchen and to finish the book. Would love any advice.

During the week here is what I usually eat, I tend to cook lunches and dinners on Sunday and just warm up each day.

Breakfast- Bacon, eggs, avocado, and half a green smoothie (water, kale, banana, blueberry)
Lunch- Shredded buffalo chicken with green leaf and other veggies
Dinner- Slow cooker Indian chicken (wihtout heavy cream)

I feel like that's paleo. My problem is snacks and weekends. Right now I eat chocolate and make chocolate (almond) milk, and eat out on the weekends. I'm likely just going to make an extra large portion of the slow cooker chicken to keep in the fridge along with another dish.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1319 on: April 11, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
Swick - thanks for your thoughts .. Could this be a side hustle: sugar addict recovery program leader. Hahah!

I've strung together 2 good days here and went shopping at a thrift store and found 5 new shirts for $31. I don't want to go back to where I was but I'm also feeling very ruled by sweets again. It's almost like I had to know so could eat some and then be able to stop. But I couldn't stop. Now I can again. Last night we went out to my parents for dessert and I only had tea and fruit! A small victory for me as there were cookies and bars as well.

My husband noticed something interesting. We ran out of avacados for about a week and this coincided with my "I don't care what I eat" bad attitude. He wonders if my daily 1/2 a big Costco avacado is what turns off my sugar cravings??!! I think he's got something there! I had my first monkey bowl in a month yesterday. Oh my gosh-- I was SOOOOO full after that. So more fats there too.

I feel like I have to focus on just one meal at a time. Not the next 20 years!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:39:36 AM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1320 on: April 11, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »
I feel like I have to focus on just one meal at a time. Not the next 20 years!

TRUTH.

You know if you have been accustomed to having those healthy avocado fats (esp. in the morning) and you stopped without replacing that fat, it is more than possible it affects your sugar cravings. Fats keep you full and feeling satiated.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1321 on: April 12, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »
I'm starting the challenge hwen I get back from Chicago on Wednesday. I might delay it for a few days to get everything in my kitchen and to finish the book. Would love any advice.

During the week here is what I usually eat, I tend to cook lunches and dinners on Sunday and just warm up each day.

Breakfast- Bacon, eggs, avocado, and half a green smoothie (water, kale, banana, blueberry)
Lunch- Shredded buffalo chicken with green leaf and other veggies
Dinner- Slow cooker Indian chicken (wihtout heavy cream)

I feel like that's paleo. My problem is snacks and weekends. Right now I eat chocolate and make chocolate (almond) milk, and eat out on the weekends. I'm likely just going to make an extra large portion of the slow cooker chicken to keep in the fridge along with another dish.

Welcome MgoSam!  We would love to help you through your 30 day adventure.  The first thing I always recommend is to at least read the rules on the Whole30 website, but it's even better that you have the book.  Which one do you have?  'It Starts with Food' or 'Whole30'?  I have both, and there are good aspects to both. The first book is better with the overall science, but Whole30 is nicer pics and recipes, which is really helpful through the thirty days.

You are absolutely right that this is like paleo, but it's more strict. As you'll learn, the most important thing is to read your labels, read your labels, and read your labels again.  There is sugar in EVERYTHING!  And they often disguise it with many different names.  Your smart phone (yeah, not the most MMM) is your friend at the grocery store. I'm always searching for ingredients.  Just search for "<ingredient> whole30" and you'll find your answer.

Just looking at your sample meal, you are have a great pattern to follow.  Compliant bacon is super hard to find (sugar, sugar, sugar).  I finally found some during my third round of whole30. Also, you might want to rethink the smoothie. They don't recommend smoothies during the Whole30, because of how it's digested and they typically have more sugar than is recommended (of course from the fruit, not added sugar). But....that's really your call on whether or not to have it.  At least you have other whole foods with it. :-)

Chocolate (or sugar in general) is my biggest problem, along with many on this thread as you may have read. :-) It will get easier as you go through the 30 days.  Also, the book recommends not snacking if possible (with some exceptions for long days, exercising, etc).  During my first round, I found I didn't really NEED the snack because I wasn't hungry. It was more of a mental game of 'Well, I always snack when I'm doing X.'  That is hard to break, and I still fall into that trap.

We're all a work in progress!  Good luck!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1322 on: April 12, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »
I'm such a sugar addict:-(((

I'm a bit exasperated at the moment, as you can probably tell:-/

(hope your all sitting in a support circle right now) Hello, my name is mom22boys, and I'm a sugar addict!  Oh, 1967mama....I totally feel your pain and have been frustrated too.  In between my last 2 rounds I totally went overboard with sugar again and found I just didn't want to stop, because damn it, I deserve it! And after I'm done with my rant and rebounding from my sugar high/low, I quickly realized that 30 days isn't enough to kick this sugar habit. I can't just have one bite and then go back to no sugar....at least not yet.

For my update, I stopped at Day 25 because I forgot I had a banquet this last weekend, and then a lunch with family driving through town yesterday. Instead, I've started with my hybrid that I typed out a few posts ago.  I went to the banquet Saturday and ate what I was given, even some bread.  But, I didn't touch the dessert.  I felt pretty empowered walking out of the banquet.  What a concept....I can say NO to dessert! On Sunday, I was back to eating at home and was 100% compliant (not even trace sugar). I'm such a rules/challenge person, so I have to approach my hybrid eating just like I do with the pure Whole30 rules. My birthday is next week and I already told my mom that I would absolutely NOT eat any cakes, treats etc.  Instead, I asked for fruit. 

Good luck everyone!  Keep up the good healthy eating!

LulutoJapan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1323 on: April 12, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
A co-worker told me about this and it piqued my interest, and now especially reading all these great results makes it even more enticing. Has anyone here been on Whole30 with hypothyroidism and found this diet change helped to become medicine free? Curious to see...

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1324 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:55 AM »
mom22boys: good job making the Whole 30 work for you, good luck with that sugar dragon!

WHOLE 30 COMPLETE
Yesterday was my last day, yay! I've given up coffee starting this week to see if that gets me better sleep, less headaches (was headachy all last week), better digestion. Still getting the headaches tho :(
I had planned to add back rice today, but it doesn't go with my dinner plan so...maybe tomorrow. I might have a piece of chocolate after dinner, but otherwise my meals are actually compliant. I might try low-FODMAP to see if it helps with my bloat, but overall I'm happy with my results. ~7lb down, better energy, better digestion.
I still have 20lb to go to hit my target weight (and 8% body fat to lose), which is good motivation to keep eating mostly clean. It is exciting to be able to go out again without stressing (next week is the local restaurant week, so I have two dinners planned).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1325 on: April 13, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
WAY TO GO RAWR237!!!

Great job! Keep us posted as you do your reintro!

Welcome MgoSam! Definitely let us know if you have any questions/challenges/thoughts as you start your Whole 30!

It sounds like you already have a pretty good diet. Coconut milk/oil are your friends. I use it anywhere you would use milk/yogurt in Indian dishes. Also, if you are not getting enough fats you will be more tempted to snack. Really helps with keeping you satiated.

A co-worker told me about this and it piqued my interest, and now especially reading all these great results makes it even more enticing. Has anyone here been on Whole30 with hypothyroidism and found this diet change helped to become medicine free? Curious to see...

I'm not sure if anyone in our group has been Hypothroid...but I do remember reading a testimonial on a fb group: https://www.facebook.com/Whole9/posts/10151663957466554

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1326 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »
Thanks everyone. I just finished Whole30. Here is what I am thinking, I am usually gone from 8 am until 8 or 9 pm M-F.

I want to continue eating what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and continue it for the weekend (when I tend to eat out or not care about what I eat). I will eliminate bacon and use avocados instead, with this plan I'll be eating a ton of meat and so I don't mind reducing my meat content for breakfasts. I checked and my buffalo sauce is ok with Whole30. I am going to adapt my dinner to increase my vegetable intake. In addition to the Indian chicken, I'm going to eat a side salad. I will give up smoothies for this, though I might use for them for post-workout meals. I would like to cook all my meals on Sunday (except breakfast) so that it's far easier to continue eating well after a long and hard day.

For those of you that work out fairly intensively (I do Muay Thai and/or boxing for 2 hours most evenings), do you recommend going easy during this period? I know that many people mention having a TON of energy mid-way through the program, but I am guessing that when you hit a funk, it's going to be really difficult to have energy. At work I can take a nap during the day so long as things aren't busy, which I intend on taking advantage of.

Also what do you recommend eating/drinking immediately after the workout? I want to get proteins and carbs into me as soon as possible. I have ordered Rxbars, but I would like to hear if there are other options that you've found to work. I will eat dinner once I get home and I am only about 15 minutes from the gym so maybe I could just wait until I get home and warm up my dinner.

Thanks again!

Edit: I have never gotten into potatoes, sweet potatoes, or squashes, do you recommend I eat any to my meals to get more carbs? I don't mind adding them to my slow cooker for the Indian chicken dish or to other things.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:53:21 AM by MgoSam »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1327 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
For those of you that work out fairly intensively (I do Muay Thai and/or boxing for 2 hours most evenings), do you recommend going easy during this period?

Also what do you recommend eating/drinking immediately after the workout?

If you have an overall drop in calories or a large change in the amount of energy you are getting from fat vs. carbs, you may have to take it easy for a bit. We do Crossfit daily and I try and eat at least a cup of prepared potato (typically sweet, but sometimes gold or white) with both lunch and dinner. I just do eggs and meat for breakfast. Potatoes are going to be your main carb source.

For post-workout nutrition, I just go straight home and eat dinner. No protein shakes unless the workout was very intense or I can feel soreness coming on.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1328 on: April 13, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »
[ I try and eat at least a cup of prepared potato (typically sweet, but sometimes gold or white) with both lunch and dinner. I just do eggs and meat for breakfast. Potatoes are going to be your main carb source.

How do you prepare them? Do you just nuke them and then add some salt and consume? I've never gotten into potatos, but I will get some from the groceries today to have them on hand.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1329 on: April 13, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »
[ I try and eat at least a cup of prepared potato (typically sweet, but sometimes gold or white) with both lunch and dinner. I just do eggs and meat for breakfast. Potatoes are going to be your main carb source.

How do you prepare them? Do you just nuke them and then add some salt and consume? I've never gotten into potatos, but I will get some from the groceries today to have them on hand.

Sweet potatoes can be microwaved on high, 3-5 minutes, flip, 3-5 minutes (depending on size). Open, allow to cool, add salt and garlic powder or cinnamon, depending on if you prefer savory or sweet. We also add clarified butter if we're feeling extra fancy. We do microwaved sweet potatoes once or twice a week.

More often we do a hash: dice several potatoes (3/8" dice) and cook with coconut oil on the stovetop. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Cook covered, make sure to mix around every few minutes to keep from burning the bottom.

For gold or white potatoes we do a rough chop, boil for 12 minutes, mash, add salt, pepper, garlic, and clarified butter. Garlic mashed potatoes are delicious.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1330 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
Day 1 (first 24 hours) completed.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1331 on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
I made some noodles out of Spiralized butternut squash. Had them with spinach meatballs and sauce. Just tossed them in with the meatballs and sauce and cooked for a couple extra minutes. Closest we have come so far to resembling actual noodles, don't go totally soggy like zoodles. Very tasty :)

Looks like I have survived another round of whole 30, and Hubby survived another shutdown. Looking forward to life getting back to normal! Well on the job front. A whole 30-ish life style is the new normal for us. That being said, a historic hotel in our area does an AMAZING Sunday brunch, and we are going to be partaking sometime soon!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: April 14, 2016, 08:48:34 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am not doing Whole 30 (just counting calories for me) but my DH is on a super restrictive diet due to health reasons right now and I need inspiration. We were doing fine for the last couple of months, but he is going through a phase where he doesn't have an appetite for most of the food I have been making. He's dropping weight like crazy and we NEED to get more calories into him. He also doesn't have much of an appetite in general right now.

He used to pad out his meals with lots of plain veggies and a LOT of raw nuts. He pretty much doesn't want either right now. He'd like to keep his diet with absolutely no sugar, no meat (although occasionally he will eat a tiny bit), no dairy (that means no yogurt), no white carbs like rice, white potatoes, etc. Conventional high calorie stuff suggested are peanut butter (absolutely no peanuts), cottage cheese (no dairy), or protein powders (blech). He primarily wants clean, whole foods. My mom suggested a Greens+ supplement but he is not in favor of using a powder.

It doesn't help that I'm frustrated and feel so at a loss for inspiration. I look through recipes but most look too difficult to make or unappealing in general. He's frustrated too - I think this weekend he is going to give in and ask for Vietnamese summer rolls. It's overall filled with yummy fresh veggies, but the sauce I make for this is based on hoisin and peanut butter. *sigh* Last night I told him to just blow the budget (ACK!) and go out to eat at our local vegan-friendly restaurants. Except that he's going to find that by and large, he'll still have to compromise his diet (breading, buns, potatoes, etc).

To top it all off, because of his health, he only has so much energy to get through the day. Which means he doesn't have the energy to help me with meal prep like he used to. Which means the whole burden of cooking is falling on me. Which is probably why I am getting burned out. I have to balance his needs (gaining weight!) with mine (losing weight!) and the kids (not particularly crazy about this whole veggie thing).

Any recipes/ideas? This is even more restrictive that vegan diets and I'm not sure where else to turn for inspiration. Since sugar is the #1 thing he wants to avoid, I wondered if you guys had ideas for high calorie food in small doses. (BTW, he was grossed out by the thought of clarified butter - I showed it to him last night and it was a NO).

I'm going to try a sweet potato hash based on the recipe @Philociraptor posted. I think he will like that. Yesterday, I baked a multigrain tortilla (which has the forbidden flour sigh - but he is getting desperate) with coconut oil. At least it was more calories than his method of eating it completely plain!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:56:54 AM by elaine amj »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1333 on: April 14, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »
Hi, Elaine amj - I do have some ideas off the top of my head. You can make a decent "Peanut Sauce" by subbing the PB with Almond Butter. I also add a little Tahini  to mine balances the almond butter a bit.

It sounds like your hubby really needs to be getting more good fat calories. Have you looked into a KETO Diet? It sounds like that is pretty much what he is doing.

Full fat coconut milk and coconut oil are your friends. Rich and nutritious veggie curries can be made based on coconut milk and they are usually dead simple. No need for dairy.

KETO Fat bombs would also be a good idea, they are easy to make, can be adjusted to dietary restrictions and are grab and go.  Here are some ideas to get you started:
These ones are from a Paleo site, so should be all good with most of your resrtictionshttp://thenourishedcaveman.com/fat-bombs-roundup/

This is a monster list, More Keto, most should be suitable with a couple of tweaks. http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/24/60-amazing-fat-bomb-recipes

I'm guessing because I don't know what your Hubby's medical condition is, but it sounds like on top of everything he is in that stage where he is not getting enough carbs to burn glucose as a primary fuel, but he might be eating too much to keep from going fully into KETO. That is a lethargic and generally crappy place to be in.

The struggle of trying to cook low-cal for yourself while trying to keep up with making him calorie dense foods must be exhausting. If you are only counting calories as a way of losing weight and for no other reason, I would encourage you to consider a Paleo/Whole 30 approach. The diet would be good for him, and you would continue to lose weight without having to worry about making separate food or keeping track of everything. Also...you'd be doing it together, which would be a huge support  and make it easier for both of you. Just my two cents :)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1334 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Hi, Elaine amj - I do have some ideas off the top of my head. You can make a decent "Peanut Sauce" by subbing the PB with Almond Butter. I also add a little Tahini  to mine balances the almond butter a bit.

It sounds like your hubby really needs to be getting more good fat calories. Have you looked into a KETO Diet? It sounds like that is pretty much what he is doing.

Full fat coconut milk and coconut oil are your friends. Rich and nutritious veggie curries can be made based on coconut milk and they are usually dead simple. No need for dairy.

KETO Fat bombs would also be a good idea, they are easy to make, can be adjusted to dietary restrictions and are grab and go.  Here are some ideas to get you started:
These ones are from a Paleo site, so should be all good with most of your resrtictionshttp://thenourishedcaveman.com/fat-bombs-roundup/

This is a monster list, More Keto, most should be suitable with a couple of tweaks. http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/24/60-amazing-fat-bomb-recipes

I'm guessing because I don't know what your Hubby's medical condition is, but it sounds like on top of everything he is in that stage where he is not getting enough carbs to burn glucose as a primary fuel, but he might be eating too much to keep from going fully into KETO. That is a lethargic and generally crappy place to be in.

The struggle of trying to cook low-cal for yourself while trying to keep up with making him calorie dense foods must be exhausting. If you are only counting calories as a way of losing weight and for no other reason, I would encourage you to consider a Paleo/Whole 30 approach. The diet would be good for him, and you would continue to lose weight without having to worry about making separate food or keeping track of everything. Also...you'd be doing it together, which would be a huge support  and make it easier for both of you. Just my two cents :)

He is focused on alkalizing foods and avoiding all acidic foods. And as he reads, he adds more stuff to the "no" list. I told him he needs to stop researching or he will be reduced to eating grass LOL! I looked into Vegan/Paleo/Whole30 but all contain stuff on his "won't eat" list. Same with keto. That definitely contributes to my frustration. So unfortunately, none of those diets will work. I have no issues eating primarily the way he eats (I often add a sprinkle of meat on my food) and it's actually been great for my own weight loss.  We've been doing a ton of zoodles, squashes, curries, tofu stirfries, etc. The problem cropped up when he lost his appetite for our current meals so I need some recipe inspirations:) And honestly, I'm rather at a loss at how to add enough extra calories when cooking primarily whole foods. He gets so full after a 600 calorie meal.

I LOVE the fat bombs. The first couple I looked at didn't work (cream cheese, etc) but then I found some that were primarily coconut and shredded coconut. I emailed him the ingredient list so hopefully he will be good with that. He doesn't like stevia but is ok with raw honey occasionally. They were a fabulous suggestion - thank you so very much! One of my friends is on some diet where she has to eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and often consumes them plain. Suggested it to DH and he was willing to give it a go, but the fat bombs will go down much better :)

And thanks for the peanut sauce idea! I'm going to see if I can make something that would go well with the summer rolls.

Sometimes I think I work myself into more of a frenzy than I should. I am trying so insanely hard to stick to the list he gives me. Then he gets frustrated, goes out to eat and has a vegan burger, and I'm sure the burger buns have wheat. So why can't I add some flour to our sauce or use breadcrumbs in the zucchini meatballs?! (well, I do - but I feel super guilty afterwards).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1335 on: April 14, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

He is focused on alkalizing foods and avoiding all acidic foods.

One of my friends is on some diet where she has to eat spoonfuls of coconut oil and often consumes them plain. Suggested it to DH and he was willing to give it a go, but the fat bombs will go down much better :)

And thanks for the peanut sauce idea! I'm going to see if I can make something that would go well with the summer rolls.

Sometimes I think I work myself into more of a frenzy than I should. I am trying so insanely hard to stick to the list he gives me. Then he gets frustrated, goes out to eat and has a vegan burger, and I'm sure the burger buns have wheat. So why can't I add some flour to our sauce or use breadcrumbs in the zucchini meatballs?! (well, I do - but I feel super guilty afterwards).

If you can get your hands on them, Duck eggs are alkaline (chicken eggs aren't) and would be a good source of healthy fats and calories (not vegan, obviously)

I have tried the spoonful of coconut thing, if he has texture issues or a gag reflex, I wouldn't try it, it might turn him off it forever. Cooking with coconut oil, roasting veggies in coconut oil are good ways of getting some extra in his diet.

Arrowroot is a great alternative for flour as a thickener. Ground flax seeds make a decent substitute for breading.

Honestly, though, it sounds like your hubby should be consulting a naturopath or natural foods based dietician. If he is getting everything off the internet (as I sit here and write on the internet) with all the conflicting general info out there, he might be adding way more stress to both your lives then he needs to.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: April 14, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
If you can get your hands on them, Duck eggs are alkaline (chicken eggs aren't) and would be a good source of healthy fats and calories (not vegan, obviously)

I have tried the spoonful of coconut thing, if he has texture issues or a gag reflex, I wouldn't try it, it might turn him off it forever. Cooking with coconut oil, roasting veggies in coconut oil are good ways of getting some extra in his diet.

Arrowroot is a great alternative for flour as a thickener. Ground flax seeds make a decent substitute for breading.

Honestly, though, it sounds like your hubby should be consulting a naturopath or natural foods based dietician. If he is getting everything off the internet (as I sit here and write on the internet) with all the conflicting general info out there, he might be adding way more stress to both your lives then he needs to.

Hmm...I'll have to see if we can get duck eggs. He limited eggs for a long time (because of the alkaline issue) but recently started eating a lot of eggs to increase protein and calories. It's one of the few foods he has been craving. Love the suggestions of arrowroot and ground flax seeds!

And yes, he went to see a local naturopathic doctor. Got a list of supplements an arms length long. I joke that we have a whole pharmacy on our kitchen counter! But yes, lots of conflicting info out there which I find annoying. My mother is just as bad and keeps texting more do eats/don't eats. UGH.

All that said, I'm mostly just being a complainypants. All the suggestions so far has been super helpful and I know we can do this. I just hit this mental block. He has chosen what he feels comfortable with and I'm fine with doing all I can to support him. What I think I will do is make a list of recipes and tell him to pick out the ones he is in the mood for. Tonight I am making lettuce wraps using black bean burgers we have in the freezer. I will crumble them and cook them up in coconut oil, maybe add some curry powder.  At least it's simple.

Gave up on healthy food for the kids tonight though. I don't have time to cook so DH will just boil up some pasta and give it to them with jarred sauce. He's been asking for healthier meals for them and for them to cut down on their sugar intake. I told him - I get it....but I just don't have the brain energy to handle anymore new meals. My focus now is on his diet and my diet. I'll figure out how to trick the kids into eating healthier a few months from now. This healthy thing sure gets draining sometimes.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1337 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »
How is everyone doing today?

Have some progress to report on the weight front - I have 11.6 lbs to go before I fit into the "Normal" weight range for the BMI  and about 15-20 lbs till I reach the weight I know I feel best at.  This is coming from a BMI of well over 35. I've lost almost 53 lbs. since my first whole 30 in Sept. 

Next steps are to up the physical activity. I have been focusing more on getting solid foundations for the food side of things than to try and make too many new habits at once. I know that doesn't work for me. I would be happy with an hour-long hike with my pup 5 days a week. Have been averaging about 3. Mostly it's because I keep getting sucked into work (I work from home) and not making the time or finding the motivation to go out. Works in progress :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1338 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
I'm on Day 3. Editted: this was not on day 30, maybe part of me wished it was that.

Anyone have a good recipe for hash browns? I've been craving them.

I'm thinking of taking two russel potatoes and shred them and then mix them in cold water to get the starch out and then fry them with coconut oil until crispy. Let me know if this works.

If you've done it, let me know if you think boiling the potatoes makes things quicker, or how long you have been frying the potatoes for.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:34:19 AM by MgoSam »

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1339 on: April 16, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
*waves* hi all - good to read over everyone's progress, you're all doing so well! Swick, way to go on the weight loss :)
I've been in sunny Florida on a family holiday for the last two weeks, and honestly, I'm NEVER going to complain again about food in the UK. Sure, I can't get coconut aminos or whatever the latest healthy food is, but I can get bacon and sausages, and tomato sauces, and lots of other things, without sugar in them! Ouch! My sugar dragon is in full swing at the moment, so I'm going to do a whole9 reset and then see if I need to continue it longer than nine days (I probably will, I went back to Diet Cola in a bad way!).
I wonder if the sugar cravings ever go away, or if it's something I'll be fighting forever...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: April 18, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
So this Friday is Day 10, which I've read tends to be the hardest day for most people. On that day I'm co-hosting a Seder Dinner at my friend's house. This was scheduled a while back and poor planning on my part. I thought about waiting until after this to start, but I knew with grill season I wanted to do Whole30 as soon as I could...plus I knew that if I waited, I would be less eager to start it.

Anyways, I am thinking of skipping the forbidden foods which is nearly everything. As I'll be there a few hours early to help prep, I was thinking of bringing something for me to eat before people come so that I am not hungry. I keep RXbars with me in case I am peckish.

Do you think this is a sound strategy? Is there anything additional that you would recommend?

The friend that recommended Whole30 to me is likely coming. If she does, she said she'll sit next to me and try to keep me on task.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1341 on: April 18, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
MgoSam - would any of these recipes work for you: https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-passover-recipes/

Also, I think maybe coming up with a dish or two that you and your friend could eat would be nice as well, maybe even if it is just a nice medley of roasted veggies.

Hi Spuggy! *Waves* It's been a while, great to hear from you! The sugar dragon can be evil! It sure makes you realize how much sugar is in everything when you travel, huh?

I made this Mexican Pork Carnitas recipe which turned out really good! I love Kahlua Pork, but this was a nice change. Served it with a big bowl of coleslaw, it was yummers! http://www.theendlessmeal.com/mexican-crock-pot-pork-carnitas/

Since I'm no longer on struct whole 30, I experimented with trying to make some low carb, gluten free bread. Still basically using whole 30 ingredients. It was...well not bread in the sense that I want. But I dehydrated it and it made some tasty crackers! Added bonus I used up the last of my jar of tahini and some sunflower seed butter that I wasn't a fan of.

How is everyone doing?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1342 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the recipes. I am in charge of the Charoset so this was very useful. Now to find potato au gratin that is whole30 as I am making that. My friend who's house its at is making everything else (I'll be there on Friday to help her) so I don't want to ask her to tailor anything for me as she's hosted Seder dinners before.

I'm just going to bring a stew to her house and eat it before people arrive.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1343 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
Hey everyone,
I'm recouping from 4 days with the flu.  Not fun!  Why is it that crackers seem to be the only thing that sits good in your stomach when you're sick?  I had two days where I only ate crackers and drank water. Day 3 I went back to whole 30 eating, but eating a lot less and not all food groups.  My appetite isn't fully back yet, and even my taste buds are wacky. 

Later this week is my birthday, so I'm going to eat whatever I want that day, with the exception of no sugar.  I'm still sticking strong to my no-sugar rule, which is a huge victory. 

MgoSam - Good luck on Friday. You can totally do this, and bringing some dishes that are compliant will really help. A few of us on this thread have had dinner parties where no one even noticed that we were eating differently. I hope you have a similar experience.

Spuggy - Soda is a tough one to kick, but it's possible!  I gave it up over 6 years ago, and honestly never crave it.  In fact, I could go my entire life without ever having a soda again.  It has no appeal to me at all.  That gives me a little hope that I can do the same with sugar. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1344 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm recouping from 4 days with the flu.  Not fun!  Why is it that crackers seem to be the only thing that sits good in your stomach when you're sick?  I had two days where I only ate crackers and drank water. Day 3 I went back to whole 30 eating, but eating a lot less and not all food groups.  My appetite isn't fully back yet, and even my taste buds are wacky. 

I see your flu and raise you a nasty case of bronchitis that knocked me flat for a week.  You could eat crackers--I literally couldn't even LOOK at food.  I resorted to herbal tea and honey to try to get some calories in me.  Today there was a pot luck and my coworker made her famous bean-free chili.  That and some raw carrots and peapods worked for me.  It's going to take a while to get back my appetite though.  Glad you're feeling better!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1345 on: April 19, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
Thanks Mom22boys!

Today was hard! I felt fine until I got to work and then felt really weak and spent the entire day coughing, except I didn't leave to go home to rest because it was a really busy day. I saw someone with a plastic bag with Doritos chips and ached for them (I haven't had a dorito chip for YEARS). I wanted to say #)$U$ THIS and go back to eating forbidden foods. And then I calmed down and realized I'm just in a state and had some food and moved on. I had been hungry since 10 am and I think that played a huge part. Lesson learned!

Had to get that off my chest

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1346 on: April 20, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »
I'm sorry you guys are a bunch of sickies!!
Hope you are all fully on the mend. :)

Off-Plan-Oro has been eating, weirdly, mostly on plan.
My breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that I cook for myself are, I'd estimate, about 80% on plan. I'm using beans now, and occasional corn. But other than that... stayin' the course despite myself apparently. XD
^__^

Not that I don't still have oopsies (i.e. girl scout cookies at work *coughs*), and I'm loosening the reins during social events, but it's funny that this style of eating, generally, works for me. It feels good, even when I'm not "doing the plan."

I went up north to spend some time with my mom and do a crap ton of cooking for her last weekend (she broke her arm and is unable to chop things) 90% of the food her friends have been giving her are not what she wants to eat, so I made up huge batches of Whole 30 meals for her. She super appreciated it. :) She's not good at being out of commission, and I 100% get that. So her freezer is loaded up with spicy tuna cakes, sweet potato 'quiche', and green soups.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1347 on: April 21, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
Orvell, I'm glad that you did that for your mother. Your post is a good reminder for my post-Whole30 life. Part of me has been just waiting to get foods that I can't eat now, but a bigger part of me is loving not being beholden to sugary and carby crap and wanting to continue eating more a more paleo-based diet.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1348 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »

I see your flu and raise you a nasty case of bronchitis that knocked me flat for a week.  You could eat crackers--I literally couldn't even LOOK at food.  I resorted to herbal tea and honey to try to get some calories in me.  Today there was a pot luck and my coworker made her famous bean-free chili.  That and some raw carrots and peapods worked for me.  It's going to take a while to get back my appetite though.  Glad you're feeling better!

You win!  Although....I'd rather be a loser any day when it comes to comparing sicknesses!  :-)  Glad to hear your on the mend too.

Orvell - You're a great daughter.  Spicy tuna cakes even for your mom?  Now that's love!  (they are one of my favorites from NomNomPaleo)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1349 on: April 24, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
I made it through Day 10-11 while going to a Seder dinner and a BBQ.

Now I'm trying to decide what to make for the week, thinking burgers or dinner and a chicken thigh slow cooker stew.