Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427031 times)

mom22boys

• Stubble
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1250 on: March 15, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »

Random, but amusing: this morning while I ate my sausage at my desk I had meat juice squirt up my nose.

I was having a bad day until I read your post.  I was definitely amused <tears running down my face from laughing>

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1251 on: March 15, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
'Nother fun random fact: if you stir gelatin into your morning coffee in an attempt to get some more goodness in your diet...then forget about it and let it cool...when you go to drink it, you get a face full of coffee jello.

That being said, it is surprisingly tasty...and collagen is good for the skin, right? So coffee facial is not the worst thing that could happen? *Thank God I work from Home*

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1252 on: March 15, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
We're all getting clean in more than one way today with our Whole30 eating.  rawr237 now has a clean nose and Swick has a clean face.  It's a win/win!

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1253 on: March 16, 2016, 06:28:18 AM »
@Simplefunlife: that's exciting! Must have been some pot roast....care to share the recipe?

Sure!
http://www.noshtastic.com/company-pot-roast-gluten-free-paleo-and-whole-30/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1254 on: March 16, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
That pot roast looks great! Whenever I do a shredded beef or something I always throw in extra carrots and potatoes, they are hubby's favorite part :)

Trying to get on Hubby's schedule and with the time change it has been a PITA for both of us, hmm you want to get up at 5? Hey, well,why not 2? 2 is the new 5! (thanks brain!)

Dinner last night was my lazy go to - a heap of shredded cabbage stir-fried with whatever protein happens to be available. It's kinda embarrassing how often this shows up in the rotation - but we always enjoy it.

Today, some veggie chicken broth egg drop soup seems like a good plan for breakfast.  Dinner...hmmm should start planning that.

Hope everyone has a great day!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1255 on: March 17, 2016, 05:48:21 AM »
Swick, hope your sleep patterns settle in. Lol at your 'coffee facial', I've actually added gelatin to my coffee too (have to add it to a bit of coconut milk to make it actually dissolve), but not lately because I'm eating such a protein-ful breakfast. How much do you add?

That pot roast looks killer, adding it to my to-make list. When I get grumpy about the things I can't eat (mostly free food at work) it helps to distract myself compiling/finding all the W30 things I want to make...Kalua pork...chicken wings...and now this pot roast.

Bf leaves for business on Sunday, which is exciting because I can make all the things he dislikes: mushrooms, eggplant, cabbage...but unfortunate because if I cook big hunks of meat there's nobody to help me eat it up.

I dreamt about eating a fried chicken sandwich and Cheetos last night...in the dream it wasn't even an intentional fail, it was eating without thinking and some confusion...and then SO much guilt and disappointment. Woke up thinking noooooooooo I have to start over. I swear my timeline is totally different this time around...I used to have issues with Cheetos but ever since self-conditioning (thinking about Cheetos during the suckiest part of spin classes) the temptation to grab them at the store has faded.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1256 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
Rawr237 - Yesterday was my first time trying it, I didn't measure (bad habit)

Kalua pork freezes very well. I make a huge roast, shred it and pack it into flat 1-2 portion freezer bags. It's super easy to make meals when you have a good stock of them in the freezer. I actually need to do this again.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1257 on: March 18, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Day 5 today. Had ANOTHER dream about cheating last night. Was eating something on toast, and then remembered I wasn't supposed to eat bread. It's a relief to wake up, but they're really not fun dreams.

Eating the last of the sausage for breakfast right now, with green beans. I'm finding that I bloat a LOT over the course of the day, but in the morning it's all better. Not that unusual for me (digestive issues...), but I'm really hoping that goes away over the next couple weeks. I've also been experiencing some mild depression. I feel like my first week has really been more like Days 8-11 in the Timeline (http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/). Though I actually feel like my jeans are getting looser already (at least in the morning, not in the evening).

Even though it's against the rules, I weighed myself Wednesday morning (149.Xlb) and again this morning (148.6lb). Wednesday was because I forgot to get a baseline weight before starting, and this morning was just because I thought my stomach looked flat :P

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:03 AM »
rawr237 - It totally sucks that you are having cheating food dreams. It seems like there is something there subconsciously maybe? that you might want to explore. I find it very fascinating that guilt seeps through to the dream, I'd LOVE a dream where I could eat toast :) I do hope it sorts itself out for you.

If you are bloating that much, have you thought about trying a FODMAP's diet? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fodmaps/#axzz43GHlFohJ

How is everyone doing?

Things are going ok, hubs has been working OT pretty much every day this week so I haven't had to worry as much about feeding him (company allows them to order in from local restaurants for OT) So on one hand cooking for myself is a lot simpler when I don't have to always be worried about leftovers for him to take for lunches, on the other it isn't really great for him. Sending him with extra veggies to try and balance it out.

I have to figure out something new and exciting to do with Cauliflower. After it being sold for som many months at 5.99 a head all winter...it went back down to 1.99 so I bought too many :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1259 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
Hey guys! Long time no talk. :)
Back from vacation and off - plan at the moment, but looking to doing my second Whole 30 in the near future.
Just wanted to say hi and that ya'll are awesome.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1260 on: March 18, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
Day 4 for me, and the week is getting easier and easier. Last night I made a yummy Buffalo Chicken 'Pasta' recipe. Given that I'm not a huge buffalo-flavor fan, it was pretty darn good.  Swick - I think you were the buffalo/wings fan, so you may really like this recipe:

http://paleomg.com/buffalo-chicken-pasta/

rawr237 - I think reading about your dreams made me have a dream about food last night too. :-) I can't even remember what the food was, so it must not have been too tempting for me.  For the bloating....from my past rounds of Whole30, the bloating seemed to be kinda bad the first week or so, and then it went away for me. Hopefully it's the same for you. Today my pants feel looser and am starting to feel less bloated.  Also, don't forget to drink a TON of water. That also helps.

Orvell - Welcome back from your trip!  Did you any new ahh-hhhaaa moments with food and eating while you were gone?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1261 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
I have to figure out something new and exciting to do with Cauliflower. After it being sold for som many months at 5.99 a head all winter...it went back down to 1.99 so I bought too many :)

SEND IT TO ME!!!  I love cauliflower.

After a week of visiting in Florida and eating non-Whole30 stuff, I'm ready to jump back on the wagon.  HOWEVER ... while I can do without butter I do use two drops of EZ Sweetz (liquid sucralose) in my morning/evening gelatin tea.  If Dallas and Melissa have a problem with that, COME AT ME BRO!!!  :D  I actually ate more sweet stuff (fruit, etc) on my first W30 than I am now, so there's that.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1262 on: March 19, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
Orvell! *waves* welcome home, hope you had an awesome vacation!  Any new food insights among all that adventuring?

Thanks for the recipe idea, Mom22Boys, I'll have to check it out!

Welp, turns out hubby is feeling like shit this weekend. I'm sure the massive amount of OT, the stress of his job and not eating well are all contributing factors. The first two we can't do anything about ATM, so I'm going to focus on salads and slaws and supplementing his work food with real food.

Recipes I'll be trying this week:

Sides:
http://omgfood.com/spicy-shredded-cabbage/
Daikon as a "rice" Substitute has me intrigued: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2016/02/grain-free-bacon-and-shrimp-risotto/
http://wickedspatula.com/slow-cooker-garlic-herb-mashed-cauliflower/ - UPDATE: The mashed cauliflower was ok, nothing reallt special. As hubby said, it was fine, but not something he would really care if he ever ate again or not. The downside was having the cooking cauliflower smell permeate our house all day. overall, wouldn't make again. Although I did save the cooking water and will try and make some soup out of it. That might make it a bit better.

Salads/Slaws:

Think I am going to go with a cabbage base and make a ton of slaw and then vary up the dressings. I have found that most dressings call for some kind os sweetener, using complaint coconut aminos seems to do the trick, now that our palates are use to not having sugar.

http://withfoodandlove.com/celery-salad-with-black-turmeric-vinaigrette/
http://quinnsplace.com/blog/2015/03/my-kinda-slawhtml
http://laughingspatula.com/3-minute-lemon-dijon-vinaigrette/
https://downshiftology.com/recipes/grilled-chicken-souvlaki-dairy-free-tzatziki/
http://www.heyketomama.com/cold-broccoli-bacon-salad/

I'll report back and see what we like :)

We did make a really tasty frittata last night with roasted red peppers, roasted eggplant, zucchini and cauliflower in it. Hubby sliced the leftovers and wrapped them in prosciutto and stuck them on our Panini press for breakfast. Super yummy! We have a theory that everything taste better Panini pressed. So far the theory holds :) Luckily we have found that Fritatta is one way hubby does like eggs.

What is everyone else up to for prep and food planning this weekend?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:02:40 PM by swick »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1263 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »
Thanks for the recipe links, Swick, I'll be checking them out!

Glad this thread is still going.  I keep following along although my eating has kind of been all over the board.

I've been doing too much SAD eating.  Last week I had a meeting at a hotel near the Denver airport, so we're pretty much stranded in a wasteland of nowhere to eat except Applebee's and Jimmy John's.  No one meal affects me, but right now I'm not feeling great, and suspect that all the wheat and crappy oils probably have my inflammation levels up so my joints feel stiff and my muscles haven't recovered from my last workout properly.  I'm not planning to do another full W30, but I'm thinking I'll go strict for a week, then add in rice and beans next week, dairy the third, and then wine on the fourth.  It should make for an interesting re-intro period. 

However, I'm doing half-marathon training and use some Honey Stingers for fuel on my weekly long run, so there's going to be some added sugar once a week, but obviously it will be limited and more than burned off pretty much as it's consumed.  Pretty sure the Stinger waffles have wheat, so I'll exclude those.

I have to travel again at the end of April, but at least we'll be driving so I can bring a cooler and control my breakfasts and lunches. 

Need to take stock of the food situation today.  I think we're in pretty good shape, but I might need to prep some mayo and compliant sausage and grab some more veg.  We're getting half a grass-fed lamb, which should be ready to pick up this week, and our hens are laying pretty well right now.  If I can keep the birds out, we might have some garden greens soon too.  Yes, spring makes this easier!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1264 on: March 20, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
Great to hear from you, Horsepoor!
Please share if you have any good lamb recipes, I am always looking for some tried and true ones. I like to experiment, but with meat that hard to get, I get nervous using some of our lamb when the recipe might not be anything less than awesome.

Yesterday, we had some lamb stew pulled from the freezer over the crockpot cauli mash (see update in post above)

I made a bunch of buckwheat crepes for Hubby's breakfasts for the week. Not totally complaint but still uber healthy compared to the usual SAD breakfast!

I'm all set for eggs and veggies for the week for breakfasts.

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1265 on: March 20, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
Hi y'all!

Coming out of lurk-dom because this group is awesome and has achieved some amazing stuff :). I completed one Whole30 in Jan/Feb this year and was pretty successful- shrank the sugar dragon, felt great, and lost 12-13 lbs. I'm about to start my second (with my sister!) on April 4, but I'll probably ease into it before then.

Swick, I don't know if someone's posted this before/what your cuisine preferences are, but this is my all-time favorite lamb recipe: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lamb-korma-recipes-from-the-kitchn-196350. Heck, it's one of my favorite recipes, period. It's a bit time-consuming but makes quite a bit. I use olive oil or coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, and because I'm a spice wimp I cut down on the cayenne pepper. It's amazing on sweet potatoes.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1266 on: March 20, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »
Welcome, GoldenGrove!

Glad you came out of lurkdom:) The lamb Korma recipe sounds AMAZING!! And that it is a good make ahead recipe that reheats well fits our crazy schedule perfectly. Going to make it this week for sure!

It's great that you will be able to do the next round of Whole30 with your sister, having that extra IRL support really makes a big difference!

Easing into it is a good plan, it definitely helps negate some of the negatives you might experience. less of a shock to the system. I have found each time it gets easier and easier, as I have been learning how to take and incorporate the things I learn in my Whole 30 to eating well the rest of the time.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1267 on: March 20, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
Has anyone done a Whole30ish approach with dairy too? How did it go?

I really like dairy, which is by far my biggest drawback from doing Whole30.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1268 on: March 20, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
Has anyone done a Whole30ish approach with dairy too? How did it go?

I really like dairy, which is by far my biggest drawback from doing Whole30.

Hi Ender!

When I was contemplating doing a whole 30, it took me a while to warm up to the idea. Mostly because I didn't think I would be able to live without dairy.

Turns out Dairy is responsible for my chronic sinus and breathing issues - total bummer.  When I am not doing an "official" whole 30, and I chose to eat dairy, I know how it will affect me, so I can go into a situation knowing if it is worth it or not.

Hubs LOVES his cheese, possibly more than I do - but he has gotten totally use to not having it and has said that he doesn't really miss it anymore.

The thing to remember is, it is only for 30 days. What you do after that with the knowledge you have gained is up to you. For lots of people Dairy is not a problem, but it is worth taking the time to find out :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2016, 01:48:11 AM »
Hi everyone!!

Its nice reading all of the updates! I am in between Whole30's atm, having done 4 in the last 6 months. I am definitely eating Whole30'ish, though, so mostly compliant but not sweating a bit of honey in a stir fry sauce, or a bit of rice about every two weeks:D

I am delighted to report that as of this morning, I have lost 45 pounds since July 2015 (so in 9 months)!! I lost 10 on my own and then the last 35 on Whole 30 (from October 2015-March 2016). I am 3.8 pounds from my BMI being just overweight instead of obese. I can't even believe it!

I am a changed woman, I tell ya! I am now about half way to my ideal weight and I know it will come off, slowly but surely, as I make good food choice after good food choice.

My new size 10 jeans are fitting nicely; a big change from the size 18's I was wearing. I've also gone down 5 cup sizes and 4" on band size.

I have sooooo much more energy, and although fitness hasn't yet worked its way into my days, I am much, much more active and have given up my sedentary life.

I continue to be amazed with all of this ... nothing has EVER worked for me! I'm so very thankful for the Hartwigs and this wonderful program they have developed!!

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1270 on: March 21, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
GoldenGrove- Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ender- I agree with Swick on considering giving up the dairy for 30 days.  I really really like cheese (close second only to bread) and somehow I'm surviving.  I expect to add some back in after my whole30 is up but I think this reset will help turn cheese into small addition to flavor my meal, and not its own food group like it had been previously. 

1967mama- That's an amazing change in 9 months.  Care to get really crazy and try running?

As for me its day 17.  This weekend I had my first attempt at eating out this month.  I had a compliant salad but it did hurt a little to say hold the cheese and candied pecans.  I got a few new summer casual and workout clothes this weekend so that made me happy to be ready for the warmer weather.  I cooked some Kalua pork, beef stew and roasted vegetables in large batches yesterday so I'm better prepared going into the work week.  I also ran 4 miles Saturday and 6 miles Sunday.  The 6 mile run sure wasn't pretty or fast (slowest mile pace ever possibly) but its the longest I've run in a few years so I'm happy.

Keep up the good work all!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1271 on: March 21, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
Alright, kids.
I'm committing.
TOMORROW I start my second Whole 30. Because bleh. I've been feeling nasty as shit.

I'm not sure if sugary/non-vegetable eating triggers anxiety, or if it's ... just a byproduct of not getting outside as much and being a couch potato (which, thanks lowered energy from sugar!) but it's been super not fun lately.

It's so funny how things creep back into your life so slowly, so effortlessly, that you don't even really notice them.
Like, low levels of anxiety.
Like sugar and binge-eating behaviors.
Like unproductivity.
Like emotionally feeling like shit (and not doing art, which becomes a Catch 22 I, for one, am VERY susceptible to. Feel terrible for not doing art, so don't do art because you feel terrible. Rinse and repeat.)

Of course I have no idea if it's actually related to diet. But there's a pretty good chance it is, at least in some part. I felt better when I was eating Whole30 style. And I got a lot more done in my life.

So, tomorrow. :) I'll eat on-track today as much as possible, and go grocery shopping in earnest after work.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1272 on: March 21, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
This week's menu:
Breakfast - Eggs and chorizo
Lunch - Honey Chipotle Chicken, Sweet Potato Hash, Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes
Dinner - Pressure Pot Carnitas, Sweet Potato Hash / Microwaved Sweet Potato, Cabbage stir fry
Snacks - 3 lbs/$1 navel oranges

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1273 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
Yay for updates!

Good to hear from you, 1967mamma! How is DD doing? Hopefully she is having an easier time at work now!

Simplefunlife - Way to go on getting to day 17! How are you findings things? Have you noticed any physical changes or come to any new realizations?

Welcome Back, Orvell! I noticed when I relaxed on the sugar thing, my mood and motivation hit a noticeable low.  It doesn;t seem to have a huge immediate impact for me but definitely lowers my normal base line to not feeling as good as when I am eating clean and then all the little things really start to add up.

I have some Kalua pork in the crockpot, and a fridge full of veggies!

Breakfast today is going to be some roasted eggplant and roasted cherry tomatoes from my garden last year and some duck eggs. Might crisp up a couple of pieces of prosciutto to have with it :)

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1274 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

Hubs LOVES his cheese, possibly more than I do - but he has gotten totally use to not having it and has said that he doesn't really miss it anymore.

The thing to remember is, it is only for 30 days. What you do after that with the knowledge you have gained is up to you. For lots of people Dairy is not a problem, but it is worth taking the time to find out :)

Ender +1 - Absolutely agree with Swick. Just like Swick's DH, I LOVE cheese (still do), and now I can take it or leave it when I'm not doing Whole30.  Thankfully I don't have any huge issues with dairy, so I can eat it, but I've found that I just don't have the deep cravings like I used to. 30 days is nothing!  You can totally do it! Just think of it like a financial challenge.  If you can challenge yourself to not go out to eat for 30 days for financial reasons, why is this any different?

Orvell - Yeah!  I think you've perfectly described the 'slow fade' we have all experienced with after Whole30 (ok, and maybe not so slow for some). :-)

Today is my Day 7
For the week:
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs or deviled eggs (yummy!) with fruit
Lunch - Leftovers from supper, today was 1/2 a pork chop with smashed potatoes
Supper - Salmon with veggies, Meatballs (not sure yet what kinda) with braised cabbage, need to think of a third dish???

I'm happy to report also that my sleep is WAYYYY better this week. That dumb DST killed me with the time change, but with eating better, I've had a couple great nights of sleep. My bloating is way better too, jeans are looser today.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1275 on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
Alright, kids.
I'm committing.
TOMORROW I start my second Whole 30. Because bleh. I've been feeling nasty as shit.

I'm not sure if sugary/non-vegetable eating triggers anxiety, or if it's ... just a byproduct of not getting outside as much and being a couch potato (which, thanks lowered energy from sugar!) but it's been super not fun lately.

It's so funny how things creep back into your life so slowly, so effortlessly, that you don't even really notice them.
Like, low levels of anxiety.
Like sugar and binge-eating behaviors.
Like unproductivity.
Like emotionally feeling like shit (and not doing art, which becomes a Catch 22 I, for one, am VERY susceptible to. Feel terrible for not doing art, so don't do art because you feel terrible. Rinse and repeat.)

Of course I have no idea if it's actually related to diet. But there's a pretty good chance it is, at least in some part. I felt better when I was eating Whole30 style. And I got a lot more done in my life.

So, tomorrow. :) I'll eat on-track today as much as possible, and go grocery shopping in earnest after work.

Orvell, I could have written this post!
I am planning to do my second Whole 30 in April.  And I really would like it to be more of a permanent change this time.  Because sugar takes over my life as soon as I don't totally banish it!

BTW, I watched Fed Up on Netflix over the weekend.  It should be required viewing for everyone, especially if you are considering Whole 30 but hesitating.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:55 AM »
Hmm. Maybe I'll see if my wife wants to do this again. I think I would enjoy it as I at least psychologically felt better (whether it was placebo effect or not I have no idea ha).

Have any of you done this with your spouse not participating? My wife felt starved most of the time we did it and I don't really expect her to be super excited about it again. I'm not sure how feasible it is to do it by myself, though, as that seems it would be hard to really pull off without her support as many meals are pretty impossible to do with Whole30 (like pasta or pizza etc).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:12:28 AM by ender »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1277 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
Howdy folks! Hope everyone is having a fab morning.

ZiziPB - it's amazing that so many of us have such similar experiences. Whole 30 wasn't a game changer in the sense that it didn't magically transform my life; all it did was remove the small decisions that were making me feel like crap. But holy shit, those small decisions that were making me feel like crap ADD UP.

Lately I've been eating wayyy too much sugar, not enough protein, and vanishingly small quantities of veg. Time to change all that!

Anyhow, today is my Day 1 (Whole30 Numero Dos)
I woke up late and didn't have time for the nice fried egg on kale I'd been envisioning, but Never Fear, dear compatriots, I had a tin of kipper snacks and a handful of cashews. No greens, so I'll have to make up for that elsewhere in the day, but still lots of protein and goodies.
Lunch will be the leftovers of a delicious batch of leek and potato soup I made with an orange for a side, and I have an avocado for an afternoon snack should I get peckish.

Today's willpower feats will include: not eating the horrible fake butter popcorn at tonight's shindig (easy- that stuff doesn't actually taste very good, it's just the rote action that I'll need to tamp down); not eating the leftover snacks and cookies at the office (much harder. They're chocolate and from an actual bakery. ;___;) BUT I will keep it together. Yes I will.

I think the next few days are gonna suck major monkey balls.
I had some cookie binges last week. My body is not going to take the whole "no sugar" thing with any decorum.

TOO BAD, BODY. Too mother fucking bad.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1278 on: March 22, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
I'm not doing too great on this second round.  I just can't seem to keep my motivation up.  I'm not going nuts or anything, but yesterday I pulled some old salmon burgers out of the freezer for lunch.  They had wheat bread crumbs in them, but I ate them anyway.  Little things like that.  I am proud to say the only sugar has been my beloved Chipotle Lime vinaigrette, so I'm not sure if I mind the minor cheats.  I haven't lost any more weight this round, but I had a planned girls' night this weekend with LOTS of wine, goat cheese, random wheat in recipes, probably some sugar in things I don't know about, so that has a lot to do with it.

I will say it finally dawned on me that I have been experiencing a major benefit to this way of eating, even with minor "cheats." In my past life, I needed 9 hours of sleep to function. If I went three nights in a row with only 7 hours of sleep, I would absolutely crash.  These days, it seems impossible to sleep 9 hours.  I'm easily able to function on 8 hours.  I know that sounds like a ton of sleep for most people out there, but I struggled for so long with why I needed so much sleep.  I think if I exercised regularly other than walking a few days a week it would be even better.  Does anyone have a similar story where either diet or exercise improved their sleeping habits?

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1279 on: March 22, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »
Holy cow I missed so much! You guys are awesome.

@Simplefunlife: I made the pot roast! And it is delicious (literally eating some right now for lunch). Next time would do more carrots, less potatoes. I didn't have arrowroot powder (could have SWORN there was a bag in the pantry), but tapioca flour worked for the gravy...I mixed it with lard first per an online tip. Om nom nom. And bf loves it too! Thanks for the killer recipe.

@Swick: have you done cauli fried rice? I like it but haven't made it in a while a'cause I tend to eat the whole pan.

@GoldenGrove: have you frozen the korma and had it keep well? I love lamb but the bf has issues with both lamb and curry...so I'd have to eat it all myself. Looks yum tho.

@ender: Another dairy lover here. Depending on your perspective, this could be SWYPO, but Whole Foods carries Kite hill nut cheese which is delicious and technically W30 compliant. It's just a few ingredients (almonds, salt, enzymes...I think), cultured in a similar method to real cheese. Or you could make macadamia nut cheese (Nom Nom Paleo has a recipe). I haven't done a W30 with dairy, but it's really up to you -- hard to know how it affects you until you cut it out.
I'm doing the W30 and bf is not, but I do pretty much all the shopping and cooking so it's not so bad. I separated 'his' cheese and pepperoni and such in the fridge. It comes down to planning and willpower. I try to make compliant meals that he will enjoy (wings, roast meats, etc), which is the planning side. The willpower side is adding cheese to his eggs but not mine, and keeping naan around so he can make emergency pizza (if he doesn't want what I'm cooking or the W30 leftovers). If hunger is the issue, I don't worry too much about perfectly sticking to the W30 template - the first two days this round I ate a TON, lots of fat too!

@1967mama: Wow! That's so amazing, thanks for sharing about your success.

@Orvell: Yayyyyyy one more on board!

@AmandaPanda: YES the last couple days I've been waking up and actually feeling awake...a similar state would normally require a big cup of coffee. Even when I don't sleep super well (too much nighttime TV) I still feel way better in the morning than I used to.

@swick: Do you eat duck eggs often? I tried them a while ago and felt meh about them...also pretty expensive from the market.

Day 9! The bloating varies, I have tried the FODMAPS modification but am not being strict about it now because I start to think about FODMAPS + Whole 30 + my own issues (raw vegetables, mostly) and it makes me hyperventilate a little. Oh oh and I'm not having the cheating food dreams anymore! Though yesterday I dreamt I was in Hawaii with my family and my parents broke the news that they wanted to stay for a month...and I freaked out because I have three weeks left in my W30, and hadn't planned on being on vacation that long. Yeesh.

I made these wings (no sauce, duh): http://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-oven-baked-chicken-wings-honey-garlic-sauce/ for dinner on Friday, and think they needed another 5min or so to get really crispy. Bf added BBQ sauce to his. Pretty good anyways, we gobbled up 1.5lb between us. Last night I made layered brownies to bring to work (which I suppose makes me a bad influence and hypocritical, but I'm trying to make friends here), didn't even really mind not getting to taste them.

Have to say I'm glad that regular potatoes are allowed now, because it's part of the bf's ESSENTIAL breakfast: eggs, bacon, home fries. Now that we've mastered it at home (soft scrambled eggs, extra crispy potatoes) he doesn't even want to go out anymore. The food spending is pretty high lately, because I'm buying specialty things like sugar-free bacon. Bf has decided to watch his carbs, but doesn't like to eat a lot of vegetables, so his meat consumption may be up a bit. Actually, since he's on a health kick he's eating less in general...so maybe the spending impact is negligible.

Yesterday I skipped breakfast (not hungry), and was ravenous while grocery shopping in the afternoon...bought a pack of prosciutto as an emergency snack. Nom.

Sorry for writing an essay. So great to have company (the official W30 boards are kind of scary...people seem really intense and judgmental)!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
I will say it finally dawned on me that I have been experiencing a major benefit to this way of eating, even with minor "cheats." In my past life, I needed 9 hours of sleep to function. If I went three nights in a row with only 7 hours of sleep, I would absolutely crash.  These days, it seems impossible to sleep 9 hours.  I'm easily able to function on 8 hours.  I know that sounds like a ton of sleep for most people out there, but I struggled for so long with why I needed so much sleep.  I think if I exercised regularly other than walking a few days a week it would be even better.  Does anyone have a similar story where either diet or exercise improved their sleeping habits?
I'm the exact same with sleep....I need a TON of it. At least 8 hours a day in order to function.  To your question, absolutely yes!  A few years back when I lost a bit of weight (through good eating and exercise), I noticed that I could easily go on 7 hrs sleep and felt great, rather than my typical 8-9 hours. With the Whole30, my sleep is way better, but I still need a good 8-9 hours.  I think once I get this excess weight off, I'll have the same results and be able to go with less sleep.

Eating update
Last night I just made some hamburger patties (rather than meatballs) with fried onions, topped off with homemade mayo and a side of braised cabbage.  So simple yet so good.  Homemade mayo really scared me (at least the process of making it) before this thread, and now it's easy peasy and surprising really good.

I really need to try that pot roast, and yes, thank God for potatoes on Whole30. Next on my list is to try a new recipe with chicken.  I got a steal on leap day...chicken quarters for 0.29 lb.  They weren't grass fed, but too good a deal to pass up.  I ended up buying 40 lbs. :-) Love a deal!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1281 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
Hey, Everyone! Wow, so many awesome thoughts and reflections and sharing going on, I love it!

I have a bunch of thoughts for a bunch of people, so bare with me!

@rawr237: I get duck eggs from a local farmer who delivers them to my door for 7.00 a dozen (organic chicken eggs from the grocery store here are 5.99 a doz) The duck eggs are HUGE, have a much higher ratio of yolk to white and are an alkaline food (chicken eggs aren't) They are happy ducks and eat more food to produce. So I don't mind a bit paying for them. They are just descendants. Especially if you are a runny yolk gal like I am. They make the most amazing hollandaise sauce and poached eggs and over easy eggs, I also use them to make mayo and salad dressings. They are also apparently really good for making baking light and airy as they have a slightly different protein structure. But I haven't really experimented with that since I have been on a clean eating kick for a while.

Full Disclosure: Some people are apparently allergic to them and get super, super sick from eating them as my sister, took a couple of exposures to figure out what it was, I felt HORRIBLE.

Oh, these are MY FAVORITE wings: They are bonkers good, and you would never know they are whole 30 compliant and clean eating :)
http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings#

Oh and no worries on writing an essay, the reason I started this thread is I was a little scared of the Official Whole 30 forum :)

@Ender: If you are not the one who is doing the majority of the cooking, and your SO isn't on board, it would be much harder, I love all the suggestions that rawr237 suggests. One thing I would say, though, is if she is always hungry, it might be that she was in that weird stage between not slipping into Keto, but not eating enough carbs to keep burning  glucose as your primary fuel. That was Hubby's problem; he felt wiped and hungry for a week or two until we figured it out and got it dialed in for him. If your SO is really active, the balance may be more tricky.

@AmandaPanda: Going on Whole 30 fixed the majority of my sleeping issues (when I don't push it and override with my brain) I was a life-long insomniac who would go for days (weeks when I was younger) with very little sleep and crash hard. My parents use to wake up to a 3-course breakfast on a school day because no matter what I tried, I couldn't sleep. I use to have to take sleepings pills, which didn't help.  Being on the Whole 30 has basically reset my sleeping patterns to normal persons. I still have the occasional sleepless night, but it is a million times better.

@Orvell I loved your post, congrats on starting another round! Hopefully, the sugar dragon isn't too hard to deal with. I took ZiziPB's suggestion and watched FED UP (it's also on youtube) which lead me to a day of binge watching (haha!) Sugar documentaries. I got a lot of Countries covered. There is a good Fifth Estate on sugar from Canada, the Fed UP movie from the USA, That Sugar movie from AUS, I also watched a British and then an  Irish BBC doc. So many different countries and points of view all very similar and in agreement about how shitty it is for you.

@mom22boys: Your doing awesome, keep it up! :)

Oh so I tried this Lemon Broccoli Salad last night:http://www.pinchmeimeating.com/lemon-broccoli-salad/ I was a little skeptical. Broccoli isn't my favorite veg, I like it blended into soup or mixed into double stuffed baked potatoes, but as a side, it doesn't do too much for me. Other it is raw and chewing the tops reminds me of chewing sawdust, or it is overcooked and generally smushy gross. I LOVE THIS SALAD! It is stupid simple and tastes great! I'm pretty surprised it was so tasty!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1282 on: March 22, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
OK Swick, between the wings and the broccoli, you've got the W30 easy button dinner covered!

I have been feeling like crap since I got home from Denver and I'm eating better, but haven't summoned the wherewithal to prep and really start W30 yet.  I did go stock up on veg this afternoon, but then I came home and promptly fell asleep for two hours, so nothing's been prepped yet.  Hopefully I can get through a certain morass at work tomorrow and then take some time to prep on Thursday afternoon.  I don't know if it's 100% the food itself, but the act of prepping and planning to eat a certain way - I'm thinking it has some powerful psychological benefits.  Like if you have all your stuff nicely portioned and stacked in the fridge on Sunday night, it's a great feeling of control and deliberateness that kind of bleeds over into non-food decisions (and takes away so many little energy-sapping micro decisions throughout the week).  So even though I have the right foods in the house, not being prepped is killing me, and I keep sort of forgetting that this is supposed to be Whole30 week.

Sleep is probably the biggest change I see when doing W30.  I actually feel like I need more, and I'm a solid 8-hour sleeper anyway.  But I get the most profound sleep when I'm eating clean and not consuming alcohol; it seems like my body's trying to make up for some lost time in that really deep sleep, and sorting through odd dreams that drag on for ages.  But then it's easier to wake and I don't get so tired in the afternoon.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1283 on: March 23, 2016, 06:35:57 AM »
Simplefunlife - Way to go on getting to day 17! How are you findings things? Have you noticed any physical changes or come to any new realizations?

I'm finding this whole 30 much easier than the one I did a couple years ago.  I'll be honest and say that I'd still prefer some pizza but I'm ok having grilled chicken and vegetables.  I haven't had any extreme cravings just a feeling that is would be nice to just pick up some take out.  I think the hardest part for me has been all the cooking.  I did a lot of cooking before but there was always a couple sandwiches for lunch and take out once a week.  I'm getting better at cooking bigger batches and using the slow cooker but still need to find a way to make things easier.
I've been feeling fairly good but a little tired in the mornings.  The kids have been great though.  I would say they are only 75% whole30 style but the increase and variety in vegetables and meat has been really good for them.  I'm noticing more even moods for them. 
Last nights dinner:http://nomnompaleo.com/post/41781593486/whole30-day-29-garbage-stir-fry-with-curried
I liked it and so did youngest kid.  Older one tried it and did not like it at all. Sharing as others are dealing with picky eaters.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1284 on: March 23, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
@swick: Do the salt and pepper wings come out crispy? Browsing a few recipes that specify crispy-ness (my CTQ for wings), it seems like most either boil the wings first or coat them in something to dry them out. I see that recipe has no boiling, coating, or even rack-baking. Oh and that broccoli looks amazing, adding it to my 'to cook' list.

Rant whine upcoming...
Last night I proposed breakfast for dinner, and he was eager and willing to do the cooking. I was washing dishes and watching TV while he cooked, glanced over and saw the ghee on the counter so figured it would be fine. Well, halfway through I turned around and saw BUTTER on the counter too! Turned out he had added butter AND ghee to the potatoes and the eggs (potatoes were mid-fry, the eggs hadn't been added to their pan but the fats were melted). I sadly informed him that I couldn't have butter. And irritatedly informed him that ghee IS butter (1000% sure I've told him this, but clearly it didn't stick). Bf offered to start over, but I despondently assembled my own dinner instead (grass fed hot dogs, green beans with ghee...followed by a whole bag of pork rinds later). The unforgettable moment during the 'you added BUTTER?' discussion was when I asked WHY BOTH ghee and butter and he said something like 'for different flavors'. *facepalm*

On a happier note, I went to Whole Foods over the weekend and bought lots of lovely meats. The wings, pork for carnitas, beef for pot roast, ground pork for sausage, pork belly, and chicken thighs. Deboned and froze the family pack of thighs for cracklin chicken later! Since bf is going out of town for work the rest of the week, it's my opportunity to cook the things he doesn't like. I'm also spontaneously taking Thurs-Tuesday off, so will maybe tackle a few more project-y W30 recipes. Ideas?

Just for me:
http://soletshangout.com/roasted-kabocha-squash-carrot-ginger-soup-with-lamb-meatballs/
Stir fried pork belly (or roasted...haven't decided yet)
http://www.primallyinspired.com/salmon-balls-recipe/
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/01/cabbage-and-sausage-casserole/

When bf gets back:
Carnitas from Well Fed
Zuni cafe roast chicken
http://www.primallyinspired.com/one-pan-wonders-better-than-a-steakhouse-steak-and-balsamic-veggies/

I made this a few weeks ago and it was KILLER: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/02/dijon-and-cognac-beef-stew/
Not quite compliant, but easily tweaked to be so (broth instead of cognac, dijon without wine, GF flour for coating meat, etc)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1285 on: March 23, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »
Well now ya'll are making me want chicken wings! I might have to make that happen this weekend... :)

Today is my Day 2 (of Whole 30 The Sequel)

Coincidentally, my parents are re-starting their Whole30 at the same time. They live in a different state from me, but it will still be nice to have some familial support. More for them than for me. :) I have you guys, after all. They don't. Last time around I remember getting all sorts of concerned texts about what was and wasn't alright to eat ('on plan') and if feeling stupid and gross the first few days was normal (sadly yes). So it will be interesting to share experiences with them. I'm still sorta gob-smacked they're doing it, but hey, I got a lot of myself from them, it makes sense in a strange way, that even food experiments would be included in that.

The sugar withdrawal is beginning. I can feel the beginnings of a headache crawling up between my eyes. Nothing's terrible (yet) though.

Today's lunch will be eating the last of the potato leek soup along with a sweet potato. I'm going to have to cook up some veg tonight, though, for the rest of the week. This weekend I'll be more proactive in meal prepping.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1286 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
discussion was when I asked WHY BOTH ghee and butter and he said something like 'for different flavors'. *facepalm*

Since bf is going out of town for work the rest of the week, it's my opportunity to cook the things he doesn't like. I'm also spontaneously taking Thurs-Tuesday off, so will maybe tackle a few more project-y W30 recipes. Ideas?

Here are a few that I really like or am planning to try soon.  Some will likely even be some that your bf would like, that is, if you're willing to share.  Honestly there have been times the food is so good I want to hoard it all for myself, and not let my boys have any. 

http://www.platedwithstyle.com/2014/10/24/paleo-swedish-meatballs/ - this is on the menu to make this weekend and looks so darn good
http://www.justpaleofood.com/breakfast-pumpkin-custard-whole30-friendly/ - the first time I made this I thought it was so/so, but I've grown to love it.  I eat it for breakfast often with a hardboiled egg to get more protein
http://www.justpaleofood.com/breakfast-pumpkin-custard-whole30-friendly/ - I just posted this one for Swick, and it's really good
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes - These are a little time consuming to make, but oh so tasty. I always make a double batch because my boys like them too. Next time I make them, I may try to freeze one batch

Happy cooking! I'm off Friday and Monday too, with the boys being at their dad's house most of the weekend, so I'll like be cooking up some big batches of food.

Coincidentally, my parents are re-starting their Whole30 at the same time. They live in a different state from me, but it will still be nice to have some familial support.

My parents were just saying that they need to do another round.  All the weight my dad lost came back (ahhhh, no surprise there). They unfortunately still see this as a 'Diet' rather than a life change. Not saying that they need to stick with the strict rules 100% of the time, but no Dad, you cannot eat sugary treats every day and still expect to feel good and keep the weight off.  I also got a lot of my parents eating habits and have been slowly trying to retrain my brain to my new normal.  Hope your parents have a good experience this time around.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
I don't know if it's 100% the food itself, but the act of prepping and planning to eat a certain way - I'm thinking it has some powerful psychological benefits.  Like if you have all your stuff nicely portioned and stacked in the fridge on Sunday night, it's a great feeling of control and deliberateness that kind of bleeds over into non-food decisions (and takes away so many little energy-sapping micro decisions throughout the week)

This is very insightful and something I have noticed but not really spent much time thinking about. The prep is really key the difference in how you feel, how easy things are, how many micro-decisions you have to make  is HUGE! It does tend to spill over into other areas and make other decisions easier as well. Maybe because it creates more time for other things, maybe you have more mental energy to devote to other things so you don't have to think about it.  Still though, I tend to resist doing it, but I'm working on it :)

I hear ya on having to adjust to cooking and losing some of those "simple, no thought requited" meals, Simplefunlife! We use to rely on Panini's once or twice a week when life got hectic.

Lately, I have been setting aside and freezing a couple portions of Kalua pork. I always have cabbage in the fridge to a quick Sauteed cabbage stirfry with some crisped pork is almost as easy.

I also always make a bigger batch of stew/soup/tajine when I make it and freeze a couple of portions in the taller yogurt containers. These are for hubby's lunches on days I make something for dinner that doesn't provide enough leftovers, or is enough for both of us to split for a dinner with some sort of side veg to stretch it out.

@Rawr237: The wings aren't shatteringly crisp, but they are on the crispy side. What I tend to do is bake them and then add them to the pan of sesame oil/garlic and jalapenos and give them another quick fry (instead of tossing separately in a bowl) that helps them stay a bit more crispy.

@Orvell: How is the head doing? It is great that your parents are doing a round with you :) My mom and aunt are going to be starting a round shortly, it will be my mom's second and my aunt's first. hmm should send them an email to confirm their start date. I think it is so awesome that so many of us have either had supportive SO's and family  or SO's and family  that have come around after seeing the results!

@mom22boys: Thanks for the recipes, going to check some of them out!  I keep meaning to make the pumpkin custard, but canned pumpkin is freaking expensive here! I wonder if this would be good with Sweet Potato? Hubs and I went for a walk last night and I noticed a great deal advertised in the window of our local grocer for sweet potatoes on for .49 a lb (ususally 1.29, which I know is still expensive) so  he waited outside with the dog and I got a basketful...he carried home 26.4 (yes he insisted on weighing them) lbs of sweet poatoes...with only a little bit og good-natured grumbling :)

So...Easter is upon us...Anyone trying out any special recipes? Anyone navigating tricky family dinners? We volunteered to bring the sweet potatoes...hmmm maybe that custard would be good? to the in-laws. We aren't too worried about it as we have had to navigate quite a few family dinners since we started eating healthy. It definitely took laying down some ground rules, but they are starting to get the idea that this is a life style thing and not just a diet or whim we can be talked out of.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1288 on: March 24, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
***For those trying to eat more Veggies***

I just came across this super neat "Veggie Calculator" http://whfoods.org/vga.php

Not only does it give you an idea of how much you are getting across all the different colors, it gives you suggestions on which nutrients you may be lacking and makes suggestions for which veggies that can provide them. Really neat.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1289 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
Day 3!
No seriously I'm going to Costco this weekend and I'm going to buy some chicken wings. You guys are a terrible/wonderful influence. XD I will report back how it goes! I think the salt and pepper ones are good (and sound wonderfully simple) since I'm still a n00b at cooking meat.

Another thing I need to pick up from Costco is better Tupperware/freezing solutions. I have... a collection of random things, mostly from take out containers. I need to up my game, as I've found it holding me back a few times. (For example, I'd have a hard time doing a big 'ol Kalua pork.)

Last night (and today for lunch) was oven roasted salmon with sautéed onions, asparagus and brussle sprouts. I actually cooked it all over at a friend's house while they ate take-out. I'm lucky to have friends who understand. :) Even if they think it's a bit silly, they keep it to themselves and are sweethearts who don't offer me their deserts.

Re: Food Prep (and mental clarity)
YES.
I think it's, for me at least, the act of taking control of ones life and actively managing the future. Sure, it's the future of tomorrow's lunch, but it's still an actionable choice with follow through and rewards.
It makes me an automatic winner, to have thought of a food plan, made it, and then eaten it. I like winning! And it makes winning seem like something I can do. Which makes me want to do other things. :)

Re: Families and Friends and SOs
I think this would  be so much harder if I were surrounded by people who weren't (at the very least) cool with me doing my own thang. I live alone, so I don't have to worry about meals involving other people more than once or so a week, which is both a help (no extra opinions! I can eat all the smelly fish I want!) and a hindrance (especially when I'm not on-plan. There's no one to see me binge eat that entire box of Girl Scout cookies, and no one for me to moderate my behavior for.)
To everyone doing this with only moderate buy-in from their SO, my hat goes off. That is a hella harder challenge than I'm undertaking.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1290 on: March 24, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
***For those trying to eat more Veggies***

I just came across this super neat "Veggie Calculator" http://whfoods.org/vga.php

Not only does it give you an idea of how much you are getting across all the different colors, it gives you suggestions on which nutrients you may be lacking and makes suggestions for which veggies that can provide them. Really neat.
Oooh! That's really cool! Thanks, Swick! 8D
I'm not doing as well as I thought I was. Good to know!

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1291 on: March 24, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
@GoldenGrove: have you frozen the korma and had it keep well? I love lamb but the bf has issues with both lamb and curry...so I'd have to eat it all myself. Looks yum tho.

rawr237, sorry, just saw your question. I haven't tried freezing the lamb korma, so I don't know. It does keep well for multiple days in the fridge, though- I usually eat a batch by myself over the course of ~5 days (single lady here). Of course, I obviously don't mind eating the same thing every single day, so YMMV :).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1292 on: March 24, 2016, 09:55:14 PM »
Made this tonight (2nd time): http://www.ancestral-nutrition.com/shrimp-veggie-kelp-noodle-stir-fry/ (warning: site is eye-bleeding without AdBlock/equivalent)

Good stuff.  Used W30-compliant homemade sriracha from NomNomPaleo and it was fantastic.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1293 on: March 26, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »
Day 5!
Chicken wings acquired. Tonight (or maybe tomorrow if tonight gets busy) will be the great cooking experiment. ;)
Went to Costco and loaded up on alllll sorts of goodies, including bulk nuts, meats, and veg.

My upstairs neighbor and friend and I are going on a nice long walk/hike today and I volunteered to pack us lunches. These salads and nuts plus a hard boiled egg. I wish my avocados were ripe, but sadly, they are not.

Om nom nom!

In Whole30-and-me news, I spent a lot of yesterday grumpy. Turns out that "kill everything" stage doesn't end with your first Whole30. OH WELL. :) Today the weather is not-bad and a hike will happen, and I did my taxes. I will be just fine.

Hope you guys are having a fantastic weekend!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1294 on: March 27, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
I'm still trying to get enough funds to loosen up the grocery budget so we can take the plunge. Anyone doing this with kids without a horrendous grocery budget? Lunches for kids are my particular problem. We eat pretty whole30 for dinner. Breakfast is easy. For lunches we have to go without refrigeration (ice packs are ok but don't last until lunch since they keep the school at approximately 10,000 degrees). The kids love fruits and vegetables but they aren't kept full for long with those. And meat is so expensive (plus the no refrigeration thing).

I would love to hear frugal, whole30 school lunch ideas, please?

Orvell, your meals always look scrumptious!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1295 on: March 28, 2016, 07:23:54 AM »
That is a tough one, Mongoose.  I know you've posted your grocery budget before, and it is tight.  What about using the W30 vegetarian shopping list to supplement and keep the cost down for now?  Kids could take things like lentil salads for lunch?  Do I remember something about an egg allergy?  Because that's probably one of the lower-cost things you could send them with.  Tuna salad would be another, but then you don't want to overdo that because of mercury.

FWIW, I frequently don't bother putting my lunch in the fridge, and it's fine, so I would think with ice packs, they would be OK if everything isn't still ice cold by lunch time.  Potato based meals might work to make something more filling, with just a little bit of meat for flavoring.  You could swap out sweet potatoes for variety as well.  Hang in there; hope your grocery budget gets a little more flush soon!

In the "why didn't someone tell me this years ago?!" department, I steamed eggs in my Instant Pot last night.  They practically peeled themselves, and these were good-quality, fresh eggs.  12 minutes steaming for hard boiled, then into cold water.  Will try them with my even fresher homegrown eggs soon.

Far as W30 goes, I can't seem to summon the determination to do it just now.  Eating well, but just not quite in the right mindset.  Also blew this month's grocery budget, so haven't been wanting to redline that budget item in Mint any worse than it is.  So hats off to everyone who is sticking with their 1st, 2nd or 5th W30; I'll be cheering you on and probably half-assing it over here...

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1296 on: March 28, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »
*nods to the above*
I was flippant about grocery prices before I started, and even during the first week or two (what do they say about assumptions? Oh, right there it is. My ass. Found it), but it absolutely is more expensive, and your budget is tight, Mongoose. You have my respect. Horsepoor's advice seems solid. :) Do what you can with what you have. And don't feel awful about feeding your family good food, which is what you're already doing. :) ~Somewhat~ Whole30 is already miles ahead of the shit fobbed onto us as 'food.'

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1297 on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
Today is my Day 7.
It definitely is going faster this time around. I'm also feeling the blues, though. Not sure why. But so far I've held fast and not done what I *usually* do when feeling sad (BYE BYE COOKIES). That said, I feel I ought to confess some food decisions that were on-plan but not... for the right reasons.
I had a banana with coconut milk for dinner last night, and the night before I ate too many chicken wings because I was mad at my oven.
Now I will say my hail Mary's and do better next time.

Today I had two eggs for breakfast (on spinach) in the hopes to not be hungry before lunch (wish me luck!) and lunch itself will be a nice salad with tuna and tomatoes with a hard boiled egg. Dinner is an unknown. I failed to cook for the week over the weekend (thanks, blues, so helpful) so whatever I make it'll have be a big-batch item. :) I'm thinking soup?? We'll see!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1298 on: March 29, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
Hey guys! Day 16...over halfway done! Energy is great, skin is clearer...not sleeping too great, but that's probably thanks to my late-night screen-watching habit.

Orvell: Did that breakfast work out for you? If you're still getting hungry, you could try upping the oil. Some days I find the hunger is an insatiable beast, and eat accordingly...with no ill effects. Second time around I'm happy to eat when I'm hungry, and worry less about the meal template.

Mongoose: (Disclaimer - I do not have kids or any nutritional background) You could try a more fat/carb/veg centric lunch and make up the protein at other meals. Maybe veg roasted with tons of olive oil...salmon salad is an alternative to tuna salad if the mercury is a factor. Hard boiled eggs...nut butter with apples or celery...if you have thermoses then bone broth/soup, or nut based porridge? Sorry if that's not helpful at all :P

Over Easter weekend I took communion twice, so technically I 'cheated' by eating those two wafers ('wine' was really grape juice anyhow). Some things are more important than a perfect Whole 30.

I did twice-cooked pork belly based on this recipe: http://norecipes.com/recipe/twice-cooked-pork-recipe, came out flavorful but a little tough. I've roasted belly before with good results, but Whole Foods doesn't sell it with skin on so it doesn't crisp up quite right.
Also made the Smitten Kitchen sausage cabbage casserole, and it's yummy! Only downside is I ate some an hour or two before yesterday's run, and halfway through got a bit nauseated/burpy. Lesson learned...not so many veggies so close to working out.

You guys are so right about the power of planning...nothing better than a fridge full of tupperware! (Though my Snaplock lids are starting to break, boooooo) Right now I have leftover sausage/cabbage, spaghetti squash with creamy sauce (basically this: http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2014/04/spaghetti-squash-with-roasted-garlic.html), pumpkin soup (http://fedandfit.com/2013/10/18/creamy-paleo-bacon-pumpkin-soup/), mayo, dairy-free pesto, homemade coconut milk, leftover wings (made 4lb the other day because of this thread)...

Last night I hadn't properly planned out dinner, so I threw together a frittata with bulk sausage, bacon, spinach, a few leftover bits of sweet potato, and cheese (left a small wedge cheese-less for me). Leftovers will feed bf for breakfast for days. Nom.

Reassuring that other people see it affecting their spending too, because my grocery spending has sorta exploded. I'm okay with it because I wouldn't normally splurge on so much sugar-free bacon, plus trying to keep alternatives in the house for me vs bf adds up. The meat is of course the big ticket item, humanely raised / grass fed / pastured is pricier, and having two meat devourers in the house...yeah. In my last shared house I was a bit envious of my housemate/coworker who would only buy chicken at <$2/lb ...but at the same time couldn't quite bring myself to purchase meat that may have been fed its own species, and so on. All the other categories in my spending have dropped drastically since moving back to the Midwest, so I'm not as motivated to cut back on food spending. Main focus is minimizing waste.

Went to Aladdin's last Friday and it was sooooo good! Wonderful to eat a compliant meal without having to make it or clean up myself! I had a beef shawarma salad (hold the cheese) with dabs of baba ganoush and their house dressing, absolutely delicious. Called ahead to confirm they do ALL their cooking with olive oil (except for frying with peanut oil, which I think only applies to the falafel), and their seasonings are all super simple herb type mixtures, no sugar. It's one of my local favorites, and I hadn't been since moving back...a solid meal. Maybe I'll go back to celebrate the end of the W30.

A little sad because a friend invited me to a city event that involves lots of food and drinks, and I would normally be so on that...but paying $50/ticket when I probably won't be able to partake of anything is just dumb.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1299 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
I made this (http://grokgrub.com/2013/06/10/recipe-sweet-potato-quiche/) last night at a friend's house. (It was beautiful outside --upper 50s with fresh tasting air--, and I biked, and I am so pleased about having done that. There's something very powerful about biking to a buddy's house with a dozen eggs in your backpack to go make quiche 'cause she had a rough week. It was a good feeling.)
Verdict: Yummy (and on the Whole30 plan!), but not really worth the effort. The nutmeg in the eggs was fabulous, but frankly, the whole thing was a lot more work than it needed to be. If I make it again I'm going to replace some of the sweet potatoes with spinach and other goodies to make it a little less one-note.
The avocado with lime and salt we snacked on while it baked was almost just as delicious and about 95% less effort. :P
That quiche-thing DOES make a great re-heated breakfast though. So it gets a point or two for that. :)

It's my Day 8!
Things feel so much less eventful on my second Whole30. :) I'm shocked by how much easier it all is. I have not defeated my sugar dragon (by any stretch of the means) but it seems to understand that "not now" is an actual answer for why we're not eating all the cookies known to mankind.
*shrugs*
I'll not complain.