Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427015 times)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1200 on: February 25, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi all, I definitely want to join in!  I've done Whole 30/paleo eating challenges several times (usually for 4-8 weeks) and I always feel AMAZING and then slowly slip into eating more junk than I need to.  I'm not overweight, but I know I could drop body fat and a few lbs. with better eating.  Looking forward to following along and getting inspired!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1201 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »
Day 26.  Things are still going well, but pasta has been sneaking into my thoughts.  My local Whole Foods sells pre-sliced zucchini noodles, so maybe I'll pick some up this weekend.  I've made them myself in the summer when zucchini is dirt cheap since I have a OXO julienne peeler.

Can I be proud of myself for zero slips?  I think I can.  :)

Funny, but pasta is the one thing I don't really miss.  Chocolate, however, is a different matter entirely....

I think you should be very proud of yourself!!  I know I am.  I had rough time of it between a nasty cold for over a week and a 4 day migraine, but I pulled through and will make it to the end :-)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1202 on: February 25, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
Chocolate for real!

I know you're not supposed to weight for 30 days, but I completely disregarded that rule and have weighed every day.  In the beginning, I was losing a pound a day almost, and then suddenly I put three back on, and they hadn't budged until yesterday.  I guess I really was eating a lot less at first, then I started amping up the avocados and monkey bowls.  The monkey bowls are now off-limits to me...

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1203 on: February 25, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
Chocolate for real!

I know you're not supposed to weight for 30 days, but I completely disregarded that rule and have weighed every day.  In the beginning, I was losing a pound a day almost, and then suddenly I put three back on, and they hadn't budged until yesterday.  I guess I really was eating a lot less at first, then I started amping up the avocados and monkey bowls.  The monkey bowls are now off-limits to me...

These "monkey bowls" just look like sugar- and fat-bombs to me. But it's probably because I do the high-protein thing.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: February 26, 2016, 12:10:42 PM »
My mom is in her mid 70's  (heavy her whole life, knee joints are shot). She is worried about the way I'm eating and that I'm losing weight too fast. She thinks its unhealthy ??? that I've lost 42 pounds in 7 months ... ummmm ... no.

Yep, just another way to reassure themselves that they couldn't be doing something differently/better.  You're successful but there must be something wrong with it and you're doomed to fail anytime.

Right... now.

Now?

Hmm, howboutnow??
This.  My girlfriend found an article (before she lost 50lbs) basically saying "Your Overweight Friends Won't Be Happy For You When You Lose Weight" and it became depressingly true for her relationship with one friend in particular.  She seemed downright angry that my GF had lost weight.  And unless they ask for help, don't give it.  It's even worse than financial-train-wreck people suffering from excuse-itis when responding to reasonable advice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1205 on: February 28, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »
http://meatified.com/breakfast-soup-meatified-method/

Came across this blog post on egg free breakfast soups, thought I'd share.  Sorry, the page takes forever to load.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1206 on: February 28, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
http://meatified.com/breakfast-soup-meatified-method/

Came across this blog post on egg free breakfast soups, thought I'd share.  Sorry, the page takes forever to load.

It loaded pretty quickly for me, but +1 on soup for breakfast, although I'd cry if I couldn't eat eggs because I love them. 

Tomorrow is Day 30.  No cheats.  Go me!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1207 on: February 29, 2016, 04:19:25 AM »
Day 29 for me.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and even though technically I can eat whatever I want starting Wednesday, the only thing I bought that is not on the plan is plain yogurt, and I wasn't at all tempted by pasta :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1208 on: February 29, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
WAHOO MANYDALAYVA AND ZIZIPB!!!! Congrats on your whole 30! YOU DID IT!!!!

I'm visiting family, so didn't want to miss congratulating you! Please let us know how your re intro goes!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1209 on: February 29, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
Update from me!
So reintro. Yeah I really fucked that up. Swick, I took exactly none of your advice, and regret it. Bleh! I fell right back into old (and bad) food behaviors. You know the ones. The "fuck it, I just need X, it's been a long day" behaviors. 
I'm fine for breakfasts and lunches (they're structured things I make plans for) but weekends and sometimes dinner are at High Risk for Major Bad Decisions.
But knowing is half the battle?

I'm going to be doing my second Whole30 starting March 14th (when I get back from a vacation abroad). Until then I'm going to continue to try and eat at least somewhat 'on plan' and avoid binge events. Wish me luck!

:)
And congrats to Manydalayva and ZiziPB! :D But please take Swick's advice where I did not, lol. May your reintro NOT be as catastrophic a fail as mine.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: February 29, 2016, 03:41:41 PM »
Orvell - It has taken me 4 Whole30's to feel like this is a lifestyle and not a 30 day plan. I'm in a really happy place atm, and I'm sure you can get there too. A lifetime of bad habits for me were not cured in 30 days :-/

Just get back in the saddle after your trip and keep checking in here in the meantime for motivation. Even if 1/2 our day is Whole30, that's better than nothing, right?

High five!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1211 on: March 01, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »

I'm visiting family, so didn't want to miss congratulating you! Please let us know how your re intro goes!

Thank you, swick!  You've been a great help.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »
Orvell - It has taken me 4 Whole30's to feel like this is a lifestyle and not a 30 day plan. I'm in a really happy place atm, and I'm sure you can get there too. A lifetime of bad habits for me were not cured in 30 days :-/

Just get back in the saddle after your trip and keep checking in here in the meantime for motivation. Even if 1/2 our day is Whole30, that's better than nothing, right?

High five!
<3 1967mama, I really needed to hear that, thank you. You're dead right. :) Just gotta keep on keeping on. Course correct and don't be mean to myself.

I did great last night. I made a tomato and spinach soup (it sounds gross, but it was good! And I'm trying to eat through my fridge before I head out of town. It  will also be today's lunch), and broke into my favorite box of tea - lemon ginger. :) It felt good.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1213 on: March 01, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »

Thank you all for your help and encouragement!

I didn't take any body measurements before, but I did lose four pounds.   Four pounds is four pounds and considering that my only exercise was walking (not very fast) on my work breaks it's better than nothing.

I like eating this way enough to keep on with it with only minor changes.  I take gelatin to help with my hair and nails, and I was taking it in nut milk.  Now I'll take it in hot tea with two drops of liquid sucralose.  Since I don't have an issue with dairy, I will gladly welcome back Kerrygold.  I will, however, keep an eye on my portions.  And today I went back to the gym.  I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Orvell--you made tomato Florentine soup!  Now I want some ...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
Hi Everyone! *waves*

Good Update Mandalay!

The soup sounds great Zizi!

Orvell, I wouldn't sweat it, not everything is solved in 30 days, but it does give you a great introduction and foundation, wherever you decide to go afterwards.

I've been doing, well...as good as I can. I'm on "vacation" visiting some sick extended family. I have mostly been keeping up with Whole 30 except for the occasional rice noodle eating out, some dairy and some occasional organic sugar. Oh and gin and wine....

It's been taking a lot of my energy to avoid the gluten and navigate all the issues with my extended family, so all in all, I think I am doing pretty good. Making sure I have a large whole 30 breakfast in the morning, because it is the only meal I have full control over. Focusing more on the overall self-care (especially with the toxic family members) and not getting sick or loosing my shit.

But, I am thinking I will do start another Whole 30 when I get back on the 7th.

Roll call?? Who's here and where are you on your journey? Updates? Miss checking in as often with all of you!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
I am on day 20, and honestly, I can't wait for it to be over.  I have a real mental block about homemade salad dressings.  I don't know why, but I do.  And normally I eat an average of 4 salads per week, but I haven't had salad at all.  I did lose those pounds I gained back, so that's good, but overall, I don't enjoy this way of eating. I miss beans, condiments, and oatmeal.

I do REALLY appreciate how this broke me of sweets, soda, desserts, etc. and cheese.  I don't even love cheese, so why was I putting it all over my salad and soup? It's fine without it.  I can't wait for my 10 days to be over so I can start using my favorite salad dressing (that is still dairy-free) and oatmeal.  I will continue at least through Easter to be wheat and dairy-free.

Alcohol is a whole different beast.  I miss it only second to salad dressing.  I will keep that out until Easter as well, though.

I thought I would get this raging energy or feel so much better, etc., but I don't.  My major positives are my eczema completely clearing up due to the dairy being gone and the breaking of the sweets addiction.  The physical addiction, mind you. I still think about dessert or diet dr. pepper at every single meal, although now I feel like I could avoid it. 

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm here and getting ready to start another round!  I've been able to keep up on reading, but work is just crazy so haven't had time to post.  I was going to start today, but I need to eat down some food in the fridge first...things that my boys don't like so they would go to waste otherwise.  I hate wasting food!  So....I'm with ya on March 7th Swick! 

This time, I'm going to try for 60 days, maybe even 90.  1967mama - I need to set some subgoals too like you.  I'm going to limit fruit more this time around. 

Oh, and I have to say CONGRATS to MandalayVA and ZiziPB.  It's really a huge accomplishment to finish the Whole30.  I've been reading along with you the whole time and cheering you on. 

jordanread

« Reply #1217 on: March 01, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
I'm still not going to restart and complete another attempt as of yet, but talking with the GF yesterday, she did notice some good changes in regards to weight during the couple weeks I made my first attempt. So the good news is that when I do start again, she will be fully on board with me, instead of kind of going along with it, but not really into it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1218 on: March 01, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
Amandapanda - what type of salad dressing is it that you are missing? If its Italian, I have a FABULOUS recipe I could share with you!
In the meantime, what we do is mix a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil (plus salt, pepper and garlic if you're feeling fancy) and its quite nice!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1219 on: March 01, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
Amandapanda - what type of salad dressing is it that you are missing? If its Italian, I have a FABULOUS recipe I could share with you!
In the meantime, what we do is mix a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil (plus salt, pepper and garlic if you're feeling fancy) and its quite nice!

I make an awesome ranch, basically just make mayo add a lot of chopped fresh/and or driend herbs and a little coconut milk (if it needs thinning) it often doesnt

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1220 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
I'm here! Hello! I'm still gluten free (as it seems to make me feel a bit sick) but I've reintroduced most non-gluten-containing grains/wholegrains. I had a terrible moment at the weekend where I ate some cheese (I still don't know why) - turns out I'm (unsurprisingly) still lactose intolerant, and I've been feeling AWFUL all week. Once the stomach cramps died down, I got really low in mood, and I'm only just coming out of that now (just about).
Overall, everything's still going well, and I'm probably going to do another whole30 once I get back from holiday mid-April.
Hope everyone's doing okay :-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
I am on day 20, and honestly, I can't wait for it to be over.  I have a real mental block about homemade salad dressings.  I don't know why, but I do.  And normally I eat an average of 4 salads per week, but I haven't had salad at all.  I did lose those pounds I gained back, so that's good, but overall, I don't enjoy this way of eating. I miss beans, condiments, and oatmeal.

I do REALLY appreciate how this broke me of sweets, soda, desserts, etc. and cheese.  I don't even love cheese, so why was I putting it all over my salad and soup? It's fine without it.  I can't wait for my 10 days to be over so I can start using my favorite salad dressing (that is still dairy-free) and oatmeal.  I will continue at least through Easter to be wheat and dairy-free.

Alcohol is a whole different beast.  I miss it only second to salad dressing.  I will keep that out until Easter as well, though.

I thought I would get this raging energy or feel so much better, etc., but I don't.  My major positives are my eczema completely clearing up due to the dairy being gone and the breaking of the sweets addiction.  The physical addiction, mind you. I still think about dessert or diet dr. pepper at every single meal, although now I feel like I could avoid it.
That's interesting.  I haven't bought salad dressing in years and always make my own, I think it's so much better.  I don't think my mom has ever bought salad dressing in her life! What kind of salad dressing do you like?  Maybe we can come up with some good recipes for you :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: March 01, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
Thought I'd post my yummy Italian dressing recipe since I had it out tonite for our salad and salmon dinner:

1 1/3 cup mild oil (I used some almond oil and light olive oil)
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion or celery salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced

*For non-Whole30 lurkers, you can also add 1/4 cup of grated
Romano or Parmesan cheese

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1223 on: March 02, 2016, 04:05:36 AM »
I am officially done!  Yesterday was day 30 of the first Whole 30 for me!  Notice that I said "first Whole 30"? :-)

I had a lot of ups and downs during the 30 days and feel that I didn't do it justice during that time because of the extended cold I had.  I can't tell if not having dairy helped with my chronic congestion because of it.  But I lost close to 4 lbs so that's great.  This is the first time in years that the scale moved down instead of up - this is big!  I didn't feel a big surge in energy or any other positive effects but that's OK.

However, the primary issue I wanted to address was my sugar addiction - I have a very strong sweet tooth and normally eat a lot of sweet treats.  And I don't think that 30 days was enough to deal with that.  I feel like I need another 30 or 60 days to really kill my Sugar Dragon, because the sugar cravings are still very very strong and I used fruit as a crutch the whole time.  So I think I will do another round (or at least do another sugar-free 30 or 60 days) and focus on consuming significantly less fruit.

As to the re-intro, this morning I'm having coffee for the first time in 4 weeks.  I couldn't find an acceptable milk substitute, so after a couple of days of trying coconut oil and coconut milk I switched from coffee to black tea with lemon for the duration of the program.  I am planning to make oatmeal this morning.  Lunch and dinner are still Whole-30 compliant for the rest of the week.  After that, I'm not sure.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1224 on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
ZiziPB, I think the same thing about the Sugar Dragon.  I know 30 days won't be long enough. I am practically dreaming about Diet Dr. Pepper! I almost caved this afternoon then realized it would be really dumb to do that now.

Thank you EVERYONE so much for the salad dressing suggestions and offers.  1967Mama, your recipe does sound very easy and good. I don't know why I'm averse to it. Seeing a recipe like that makes me realize I've been silly.  I have three favorite salad dressings: Raspberry vinaigrette, chipotle lime vinaigrette, and roasted red pepper.  If anyone has any of those, I'd be game to trying them.  I do like balsamic, but of course I like the "creamy" balsamics better.

Seriously, thank you all so much for the support! I felt like a real complainypants in my earlier post :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1225 on: March 03, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
Seriously, thank you all so much for the support! I felt like a real complainypants in my earlier post :)

I think we have all been complaintypants at one time or another during this adventure :)

It is exciting to hear that your Eczema has cleared up. Mine did too. After the years and years of trying everything under the sun, it was such a surprise!

The thing about raging energy, Hubby didn't really get Tiger blood, he found that slowly his overall baseline shifted upwards. It wasn't earth shattering, angles singing in the clouds - but he did have more energy and just generally felt better. It wasn't until his reintro that he really realized it because it was a gradual upward trend, and the body always seems to adapt to whatever the new "normal" is.

ZiZiPB  - How was the coffee and oatmeal?

I hear ya about the sugar dragon. It can definitely take longer than 30 days; you are basically re-wiring your brain. That is awfully hard to do when there are so many chemical and physiological reasons you crave sweets.

It has been super interesting for me to see how dairy affects me. The congestion - sinus/head cold feeling, sore throat. I use to be like this all the time and just thought it was normal - or I had the world's worst immune system because I was "sick" all the time. There is a great power in knowing it is NOT normal. Looking forward to finishing up this family visit and getting home and back to the next round of whole 30!

Spuggy - Good to Hear from you! It is a bummer about the dairy/wheat/gluten. But nice to know that some of the other grains don't affect you.

Hope you are all having an awesome, healthy week!

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1226 on: March 06, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
Hello!  Can I join?
I'm SFL and bread is my favorite food.

I actually did a whole 30 a couple years ago and did really well in the 6-9 months after.  Then slowly slipped into old habits like hot chocolate to start the day. Decided I need to get my diet in check so that I can be a lean mean hiking machine. I'm actually on day 2 of my whole 30 and here are a few things I did to prepare:
  • Taper off sugar, bread, cheese etc over the past week.  I'm hoping a more gradual change makes the actual whole 30 strict phase a little easier
    Shopped at Whole Paycheck and stocked the house with lots of compliant food. Impressed with the whole 30 approved items they carry in store such as coconut aminos, red boat fish sauce, Tessemes dressings.

Here is where I think I'll struggle:
  • I work 50+ hours a week.  Seems like there is a conference call around dinner prep time at least a couple times a week
    Single mom to two young kids.  My plan is to have them eat the same meals I eat while at home but finish out the snacks that are in the house and not re-buy them. Their favorite food is mac and cheese so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

I'm off to put kalua pork in the crockpot and then go outside on this sunny day.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1227 on: March 07, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »
Welcome Simplefunlife!  Today is my day 1 (round 4) and I believe Swick is also starting again today, so you'll be in good company.  It sounds like you've done some great work for prepping. Kalua pork....YUMMY!  That's a staple in my house. Since you've already done Whole30, I bet you'll be surprised at how much easier it is the second, third, fourth...time around. I'm jealous that you've been able to find Tessemae's!  That's one thing I can't find locally, and I just haven't ordered on line yet. Maybe this round I'll finally do that. What sauces did you get?

I'm also a single mom so I understand your pain with the kids and their eating. My kids eat non-stop so it's essential for me to batch cook on the weekends so I have supper 'mostly' ready when we get home. Then I also supplement with veggies during the week as needed. On the days I know they won't like my food, I'll let them have something off plan like mac & cheese.

ZiziPB and AmandaPanda - even after four rounds, I'm still struggling with my Sugar Dragon. My four rounds weren't consecutive, which I know will help. That's why I want to go longer with this round.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1228 on: March 07, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Hiya everyone!

Welcome, simplefunlife!

Yes, I am all in for the next round! I just got home from a super stressful family visit where I had very little control of my food. Drew the line at anything wheat/gluten but had more dairy/sugar than I would have liked.  The good thing is it reminded me how crappy I use to feel and reinforced my desire to keep on eating clean.

I had the worst headache I have ever experienced on Saturday, full blown migraine. I actually hadn't had one before. Not entirely sure what caused it, but man. I have a new found sense of empathy for those who deal with them on a regular basis. I couldn't deal with it.

So back home and ready to eat. Haven't really done any planning since I have been away, but given we eat 95-ish percent complaint even when we are not on the whole 30, I think we'll be ok. I do expect to have some "Sugar Dragon" issues this time around.

I did have the foresight to pick up several packages of prosciutto from Costco for some egg breakfast cups.

mom22boys - what are your meal plans like for the week? I think I am going to continue my soup for breakfast kick that I am on :)

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1229 on: March 07, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »
Welcome Simplefunlife!  Today is my day 1 (round 4) and I believe Swick is also starting again today, so you'll be in good company.  It sounds like you've done some great work for prepping. Kalua pork....YUMMY!  That's a staple in my house. Since you've already done Whole30, I bet you'll be surprised at how much easier it is the second, third, fourth...time around. I'm jealous that you've been able to find Tessemae's!  That's one thing I can't find locally, and I just haven't ordered on line yet. Maybe this round I'll finally do that. What sauces did you get?

Thanks for the welcome.  I got the lemonette but haven't tried it yet.  Whole foods price was similiar to the website at $5 something a bottle.  Certainly not cheap but I appreciate the ease and selection from WF for this special trip.
I didn't end up making the Kalua pork yesterday because I realized I didn't have enough cook time before dinner.  I've got it in the crockpot now for tonight's dinner.  Yesterday I cooked two meals: Lunch was chicken curry with red pepper and pineapple over cauliflower rice and dinner was 5 spice beef with roasted carrots and asparagus.  Curry was great and will put it in the weekly rotation.  I read through the whole thread last week during my preparation week of slowly weaning down from sugar/grains/cheese/everything delicious.  I'm really impressed with the progress of this group and I love to hear the family, coworker and friends comments. I'll report back on how the Kalua pork comes out and more importantly what the kids think.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1230 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
mom22boys - what are your meal plans like for the week? I think I am going to continue my soup for breakfast kick that I am on :)

Hey there Swick!  For week 1, I'm sticking with some of my new standby recipes.  Breakfast is turkey sausage with scrambled eggs. Then I'll have either a fruit or veggie with it.  I need to get better with my veggies.  Lunch is the spicy tuna cakes from NomNomPaleo (love those things) with homemade mayo and cherry tomatoes. Supper will be steak/potatoes (last night), taco salad, and beef broccoli stir fry (new recipe that I haven't tried).  I hope you're recovered from the migraine. Not sure I've ever had one, but have had really bad headaches/neck aches before, which made me sick to my stomach. Maybe they were migraines???  Either way, they all suck! 

Simplefullife - I live a ways from Whole foods, and last time I was there, they didn't carry it (even though the Tessemae site said they did). I might just have to give in and order some on line.  Curry is a new food discovery for me a couple years ago, and I love it too.

Keep up the good fight everyone! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1231 on: March 08, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
Hi everyone!

Just checking in a the end of my 4th Whole30 in 8 months (started this grand journey October 2015). I'm so excited to say that I've lost 45 pounds!!! I still have about that much to go to get back to the top end of my range for a healthy weight. I'm only 3 pounds from slipping into the "overweight" category on my BMI instead of "obese!" I can't even believe it. I am your typical suburban mom, with a passel of kids, getting chubbier and chubbier as the years go by -- and now, here I am into size 10 jeans (down from 18's -- and refusing to buy size 20)

If I can do this, anyone can do this! I am the person who has tried EVERYTHING -- and nothing works!
Recently, 1967daughter (who is down 38 pounds and about 10 from goal) was talking to a coworker who said she can't believe the willpower required to stick with this. Interestingly, I commented to my daughter that I think it only required  about two to four weeks of super strong willpower for me.  After that, your cravings start to dissipate and it becomes a little easier.  I'm not saying it's easy -- just easier. And then the weight loss kicks in, and the clothes start to get to big on you, and you start sleeping better, and you have no more brain fog, and you have tons of energy and, and, and.... There's no way you could make me go back to my old way of living!

I love reading everyone's updates here and welcome aboard, Simplefunlife!

Amandapanda - did you try and make dressing yet? (Wink)

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:34:22 PM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1232 on: March 08, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »
Great ideas, Mom22boys! I have started looking up new recipes, but that is as far as I have gotten. Dinner last night was, rosemary and garlic crashed spuds, sausage and salad. Going to keep it simple tonight and make some coleslaw and whatever leftovers we have in the fridge.

I have to get around to trying nom-nom's tuna cakes! For some reason, I always forget about them until someone mentions them. 

It is also my goal this time to get into eating even more veggies. Like at every meal. Sometimes I'm not so good at that. Especially with what has been available in the stores, I just have to suck it up and make myself do it, even if they are far from garden fresh!

1967momma - I love your updates :) So glad to hear how you and 1967daughter are doing! Was very interesting hearing extended family's  reactions to my new way of life. Several of them have had 50+ pounds weight loss over the past year or so, but in the most unhealthy ways possible. Talking to them about whole 30 was a totally lost cause. They could "never" give up some of the foods they have been eating and don't see the need to do anything different because they are "skinny" now.  I tried to point out skinny doesn't always mean "Healthy" Sorry, breakfast consisting of a cup of buttermilk with a cup and a half of splenda in it is NOT good for you! (and yes, she measures the splenda out, no exaggeration)

On the bright side, one of my other aunts is going to join us for a round, she has a birthday dinner this week so will be starting next week :)

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1233 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
Hi everyone!

Just checking in a the end of my 4th Whole30 in 8 months (started this grand journey October 2015). I'm so excited to say that I've lost 45 pounds!!! I still have about that much to go to get back to the top end of my range for a healthy weight. I'm only 3 pounds from slipping into the "overweight" category on my BMI instead of "obese!" I can't even believe it. I am your typical suburban mom, with a passel of kids, getting chubbier and chubbier as the years go by -- and now, here I am into size 10 jeans (down from 18's -- and refusing to buy size 20)

This is so impressive to me and really sweet that you are doing it with your daughter.  Celebrate every category change and new jeans size!

I have to get around to trying nom-nom's tuna cakes! For some reason, I always forget about them until someone mentions them. 

Now I want to try the tuna cakes as well.  Will need to add it to next weeks meal plan.

I'm on day 5 today and doing well. The kitchen on the other hand looks like a disaster zone half the time.  I'm having trouble keeping up with the dishes with SO MUCH COOKING.  Let me know if anyone has ideas for one pot or no cooking meal ideas.  I really want to start eating these lovely meals on paper plates just to avoid more dishes.  I know I'm not cooking big enough batches and having leftovers.  Will have to adjust size of meals I cook.  Kalua pork was a success but full disclosure I let the kids add bbq sauce to it.  However it stayed in line with my rule of cooking one dinner for everyone to eat so I'm happy.  Kids also tried kale and red pepper this week.  I'll save you the details but the kale experience wasn't pretty. Here are a few of my other dishes over the last couple days: Pesto chicken, eggs and sweet potato hash, Halibut with lemon ghee sauce.  Asparagus, brocolli and cauli rice are my usual sides.  Looking forward to hearing updates from others!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1234 on: March 09, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
What's for dinner?

At our house it's salmon, roasted Brussel sprouts and yellow potatoes:-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1235 on: March 10, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
I hear you about the dishes and cooking, Simplefunlife!

I have been adapting crockpot recipes to whole 30 ingredients. Soups/stews/tajines are all good options. I make a full pot that lasts us a couple of days and portion out the extra for quick freezer meals.

Also, I will roast a bunch of veggies all at once and eat throughout the week. We have found that if we can spend an hour or two on Sunday, it makes the upcoming week much easier on us. Actually between meal planning, shopping and prep, it is longer, that is just something you have to get used to.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1236 on: March 11, 2016, 03:29:27 AM »
Swick- That's a good idea. I'll add some more crockpot recipes and set aside an hour or two to prep veggies before the craziness of the work week starts.

1967mama- Looks delicious but does make me curious how much your grocery bill is with all that salmon. I remember reading you are feeding a crew.

Day 7 here. I've made a grilled salmon recipe with mango avacado salsa for dinner. It came out great so I'll put that back on the meal plan later in the month. In addition to eating well I've been working on being more consistent with my activity level. Hitting 10,000 steps a day by adding a brisk walk or run with my dog. Every little bit helps.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1237 on: March 11, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
I picked a sucky week to start round 4.  There were four unplanned celebrations/dinners that popped up unexpectedly this week.  Most of my meals are on plan, but there have been 2 meals already that I couldn't control. After eating each of those meals, I find my mind slipping back to my old thinking ....."You already failed so just eat everything around you", especially when it comes to sugar. Oh man, my Sugar Dragon is fierce.

I'm more and more amazed at the power of food, and how much it controls my life. This has got to change and is slowly changing, but I've still got a ways to go. I'm gonna keep on keeping on.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1238 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Hi guys! I did a W30 January 2015 and it was awesome. I've slowly let junk food creep back into my diet since then (boo!), though I've actually maintained the loss (yay!). About a month ago I moved back to Ohio from California, and in with my bf. Good for my budget at least (less travel and restaurants).

I'm SO thrilled to have a kitchen of my own again (bf doesn't cook), but having trouble figuring out how to cook healthy things that we both like (he is picky and mostly likes meat, carbs, and cheese). As someone who loves to feed other people it makes me sad to make baked drumsticks and a roasted vegetable and watch him pick at it...and later he'll look for something else to eat *sigh*. So I've been catering to his tastes with more cheesy, carby dishes...and end up eating at least some of it myself of course. Plus the free food opportunities at work have been definitely non-compliant ('Free popcorn Fridays? Don't mind if I do!). After treading for a year, I want to make progress again (could stand to lose 15-25lb) and I know that diet is the best place to start.

In a week or two, bf will be going on a business trip for 1.5weeks, so it's as good a time as ever to try for another Whole 30. Right now, I'll plan a start date for Monday to give me time to use up some non-W30 compliant stuff. Also, because I'm going to happy hour today, ha. Oh and because I can't shake this cough and yikes no cough drops or honey...

Biggest challenges will be ignoring the desire to make bf unhealthy things, not being able to purge the house, no wine, and not eating free work food. Also, breakfast routines...I've tried various things to fix my stomach with mixed success. Will try the breakfast soup idea someone else posted though!

Secret weapons: (aka stuff that has worked for me previously)
Tazo passion iced tea (I brew pitchers and keep them in the fridge)
Hot tea all the time--rooibus, green, herbal
Mayo and ghee (put in on evverything, currently have two big tubs of ghee)
Sweet potatoes -- microwaved with ghee
Steamfresh veggies
NomNomPaleo's crispy chicken thighs and kalua pork

Frugal/notFrugal:
Making my own coconut milk (bf accidentally bought me a CASE of flakes years ago which I am still working through)
Making bone broth from the freezer bone stash
Ethically raised meat is important to me, but $$$. Working to get a freezer so I can do a side of beef and pork.
US Wellness meats bacon -- I'll probably order some of this even though it's pricey, to help me get through

Sorry for the superlong post, thanks guys for inspiring me to try another go-around!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1239 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
1967mama, I didn't make any salad dressing. My last day was Thursday, but it didn't feel that way. Last Saturday, a friend gifted us with free tickets to a super fancy gala with open bar, delicious food, the works. So, I cheated. Normally I can drink a bottle of wine and wake up chipper as ever the next morning. But last Sunday was a struggle, and I drank 2.5 glasses of wine. I did avoid the dessert, but I ate plenty of food that had non-compliant ingredients. I got back on it, and I don't regret it, but I did immediately gain three pound that I haven't fully dropped again a week later. I'm not sure what to do about that, because my normal lifestyle will include alcohol and dinners out.

Even though the challenge is over, I am going to stick with the wheat, dairy, sugar restrictions except for salad dressing and marinades on occasion. I will keep checking in, of course!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1240 on: March 13, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
Welcome, Rawr237!  I really like your lists! One thing, for coughs/sore throats some tea made from Slippery Elm bark does wonders! Looks like I'll be going you with a Monday (tomorrow) start date :)

Which means...yep...I'm re-starting. The perfect storm of working late to make up for the unexpected time off to deal with family matters, dealing with said matters, coming home to no food in the house, and having hubby work OT every night since coming home lead me to just accept the fact that it was a bad time to start.

So I didn't "cheat" but made a conscious and honest decision to stop and re-start on Monday. Hubby will be eating a lot of the same food, but not fully joining me this round. We'll see how it goes :)

I did a bunch of prep today and have a fridge full of veggies. I made a big pot of ragatooie, roasted some extra eggplants, prepped some zoodles, made some carrot salad: http://www.viktoriastable.com/carrot-almond-salad-fresh-turmeric-coconut-dressing/ I really like the Tumeric dressing! I subbed the honey for some coconut amino's and added a bit of cumin, some tahini instead of almond butter and some chipotle olive oil. Mostly because I can't resist adding my own spin to recipes.  I have some Italian sausage crumbles cooked up too.

AmandaPanda - There are a few pounds each way that will be water weight, especially if you have upped your sodium intake. It is much better to go by inches to measure progress.

Mom22boys - Keep on going, you got this! I think it is all a learning process, and just being able to recognize our patterns and beliefs huge progress :)

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1241 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:25 AM »
OoOh swick that salad looks yummy!

Day 1...here we go. Last night I cooked up 4lb of sausage, half with breakfasty seasoning and half with Asian-ish seasoning. Tonight making coconut milk, curried chicken, baked drumsticks (for bf), and taco-seasoned beef. Probably some roasted broccoli too. Then my cooking will be pretty much done for the week, at least protein-wise!

Emergency rations include canned salmon, hard boiled eggs, Steamfresh veggies, nuts, and the sausage. No way I'm going hungry this week, ha.

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1242 on: March 14, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

Day 1...here we go. Last night I cooked up 4lb of sausage, half with breakfasty seasoning and half with Asian-ish seasoning. Tonight making coconut milk, curried chicken, baked drumsticks (for bf), and taco-seasoned beef. Probably some roasted broccoli too. Then my cooking will be pretty much done for the week, at least protein-wise!

Emergency rations include canned salmon, hard boiled eggs, Steamfresh veggies, nuts, and the sausage. No way I'm going hungry this week, ha.

Sounds like you are prepared!

Swick- Where does one get slippery elm bark tea? I've had a scratchy throat that I can't seem to get rid of but not other signs of cold or sickness.

Day 10 for me!
No exciting food recipes for me this weekend just lots of grilled meat and vegetables.  I did make it through a party without having alcohol or chips which is a major accomplishment.  Good luck to those on day 1!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1243 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
Well, I absolutely could not control myself this weekend.  The only positive thing I did was stay away from desserts, so that's a nice takeaway.  I think it will work better for me if I consider it an official round, so I am.  The only difference this time is that I am allowing salad dressing.  Everything else will remain exactly the same.  I had so much pizza and wine this weekend, it's embarassing.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1244 on: March 14, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
Swick- Where does one get slippery elm bark tea? I've had a scratchy throat that I can't seem to get rid of but not other signs of cold or sickness.

It may be in any "Throat Blend" herbal tea, or you may be able to find it in tea bags or loose in bulk at a health food store. FWIW, Sore throat might also be from strained vocal chords, or in my case, dairy. I had a chronically sore throat. Went away during my first round of whole 30 and only comes back when I have dairy.

AmandaPanda - I am going to challenge you to experiment and find a whole 30 dressing recipe that you can like and make. The great thing about experimenting with dressings is you can scale up/down the batches so it is low risk. The crap that is in regular dressings is so bad for you. It definitely can be enough to keep your sugar dragon alive and rearing.

I'm not generally one for facepunches, but I know, know, know you can make your own dressings! Think of the whole 30 and Mustachian Cred you will gain :)

Here is a good place to start:http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2014/08/i-am-all-about-flavor-when-i-prepare.html

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2016, 07:20:42 AM »
Time for Updates! How is everyone doing?

Day 2 here, struggling to get back into the groove as sleep and schedule got all messed up last week. Not to mention darn time change. Was very glad to have food ready to go in the fridge yesterday!

Simplefunlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Day 11 for me. I had a major victory last night.  I made company pot roast, potatoes and carrots in the slow cooker so it would be ready after soccer practice and the kids ate all of it!  Typically they only eat raw carrots and potatoes if they are french fries.  My son said the flavor of the sauce made the potatoes and carrots taste good.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1247 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:42 AM »
Time for Updates! How is everyone doing?

Day 2 here, struggling to get back into the groove as sleep and schedule got all messed up last week. Not to mention darn time change. Was very glad to have food ready to go in the fridge yesterday!

+1....I'm tired, cranky and majorly stressed with work right now.  But today is day 1 and I don't care how I feel because I need to work through it.  One day at a time.

I'm eating my taco salad right now with hamburger, homemade taco seasoning, homemade mayo, salsa, lettuce and tomatoes.  It's quite yummy!  So maybe my day isn't so bad after all. :-)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1248 on: March 15, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
Lol ok, Swick, I will accept your challenge.  The raspberry one in the link couldn't be easier, it looks like.  So my main goal now is to find a chipotle lime one I like.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1249 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
@Simplefunlife: that's exciting! Must have been some pot roast....care to share the recipe?

Day 2 here too, passed up the free pizza at lunch (it looked and smelled amazing) in favor of my sausage patties and broccoli with ghee. Also there were donuts at breakfast. Was sooooo tired yesterday afternoon (wondering if my timeline will look different this round). I was RAVENOUS so basically stuffed my face (egg salad, green beans with mayo, sweet potato with ghee) and then lay in bed watching TV the rest of the day.

I mentally estimate calories sometimes over the course of the day, partially out of curiosity and partially to figure out whether hunger is due to not eating enough. Added a second sausage patty to today's breakfast, so hopefully that will help. Planning to hit the gym today.

Random, but amusing: this morning while I ate my sausage at my desk I had meat juice squirt up my nose.

Oh an I placed my order with US wellness meats for 6 packs of bacon and 4 packs of pork rinds. Can't wait for that box to arrive!