Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427062 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1050 on: February 02, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
Day 2 only.  Feeling like I'm having low blood sugar/too much caffeine type episode.  Is that normal?
It can be, everyone follows a little bit different, but the timeline is pretty accurate. You're in the "hangover" stage. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Also, feeling a little queasy at first is totally normal, your body is getting use to real food, still craving non-real food and your digestive system doesn't quite know what to do with it all. It might be that you don't want to drink coffee. When I did my first whole 30 after trying coffee for a couple of days, I switched to tea (you probably don't want to add caffeine withdrawal to everything else right now) and had coconut oil/milk buzzed tea.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1051 on: February 02, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »
How are you doing, Orvell?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: February 02, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
Thanks Swick & Orvell.  So, the hangover!!!  Didn't think I would experience this as I don't drink alcohol or soda...

I'll try switching to tea in the morning.  Thankfully, I drink my tea black or with a slice of lemon, so I don't have to bother with figuring out a milk substitute.

ETA: does anyone know if you can do a low fat Whole30?  I have done well in the past on South Beach diet - feeling well and losing some weight.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:25:03 AM by ZiziPB »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: February 02, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »
DAY 15!
I'm good!
I'm ... waiting for that tiger blood to come back. XD It went MIA after that one awesome time... Currently just chugging along. Had a rough start (fire alarm for my entire building went off before 6AM and so me and my cat stood in the cold while the fire department cleared all three floors and 60 units. Fun.) and ate a weird breakfast because of it. A tin of kipper snacks and half a potato. XD Not ideal, but it worked.

These last few days I've felt like I've been over-eating. I think it's because I'm trying to combat cravings. Not ideal, but better than giving in? :)

Current soda water triumph is bubbly water + a lime slice and mint leaves. Stellar. When I get my Costco reimbursement check thing, I'm 100% buying a soda stream. XD

I read a recipe online for home-made larabars using dates and cashews. I might try to make and freeze a batch of those. Still brainstorming ideas for Whole30 while traveling. :)

How are YOU doing, Swick?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1054 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
Thanks Swick & Orvell.  So, the hangover!!!  Didn't think I would experience this as I don't drink alcohol or soda...

I'll try switching to tea in the morning.  Thankfully, I drink my tea black or with a slice of lemon, so I don't have to bother with figuring out a milk substitute.
I didn't think I'd have it either, since I was ~mostly~ healthy before this, just ... sometimes Really Not. But... It seems to be pretty universal! No sugar = sledgehammer to the brain.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: February 02, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »

I think the majority of us thought that going into our first ;) and we were all wrong! With Sugar being so much more addictive than even cocaine, it causes lots of withdrawal symptoms, even when you don't have a ton. Before Whole 30, we only used natural sources, not in huge amounts and it still kicked our asses. There is also so much hidden sugar in foods that you may be getting more than you realize. I even found it in my garlic salt.

Definitely make sure you are drinking water, I found mint tea helps too.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: February 02, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »

ETA: does anyone know if you can do a low fat Whole30?  I have done well in the past on South Beach diet - feeling well and losing some weight.

You could, but fat has a great deal to do with you being satisfied and not hungry between meals, which means you won't be tempted to snack.  If you're not used to eating a lot of fat you do have to ease your way into it.

Day Three is going well for me.  I'm currently enjoying my lunch of tuna salad with salsa and avocado mayo--my first time with olive-oil packed tuna, it's AWESOME--and a tossed salad with homemade Italian dressing.  I have an little apple for dessert if I'm still hungry. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1057 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
DAY 15!
I'm good!
I'm ... waiting for that tiger blood to come back. XD It went MIA after that one awesome time... Currently just chugging along. Had a rough start (fire alarm for my entire building went off before 6AM and so me and my cat stood in the cold while the fire department cleared all three floors and 60 units. Fun.) and ate a weird breakfast because of it. A tin of kipper snacks and half a potato. XD Not ideal, but it worked.

These last few days I've felt like I've been over-eating. I think it's because I'm trying to combat cravings. Not ideal, but better than giving in? :)

Current soda water triumph is bubbly water + a lime slice and mint leaves. Stellar. When I get my Costco reimbursement check thing, I'm 100% buying a soda stream. XD

I read a recipe online for home-made larabars using dates and cashews. I might try to make and freeze a batch of those. Still brainstorming ideas for Whole30 while traveling. :)

How are YOU doing, Swick?

Yikes! Rough start to the day, glad you are ok! Tigerblood is a fickle thing, you can lose it if you are eating too much, or in my case, not enough. It takes a bit of experimenting to figure out what works best for you. I find writing a quick food journal helps so I can connect the dots between what I am eating and how I am feeling.

I wrote a good post a while back on the psychological side of cravings...I'm sorry I have no idea where it is (I can't believe how big this thread has gotten!) but it might be worth a read? If you do find it, can you post a link to the post?

It can be an interesting experiment working through your cravings/finding substitutes/looking at your feelings and habits. Feel free to share your thoughts, happy to help you brainstorm some different solutions!

I love my Soda Stream.  Makes me happy :D

I'm doing good, I haven't tried to re-intro anything else yet. I haven't tried oats or beans since my first whole 30 in Sept. So I should, just not really in any hurry. I'm accepting the fact that meal planning ahead of time and having things prepared is the only way I can do it, otherwise, I tend to slide into not eating as much as I should be which stalls progress. I realize it on a brain level, but sometimes it is hard not to slip into old habits. In general though, I feel better than I ever have. Since Sept I'm down  46 lbs and most of my chronic heal issues have cleared up, so life is good :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1058 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »

You could, but fat has a great deal to do with you being satisfied and not hungry between meals, which means you won't be tempted to snack.  If you're not used to eating a lot of fat you do have to ease your way into it.

Day Three is going well for me.  I'm currently enjoying my lunch of tuna salad with salsa and avocado mayo--my first time with olive-oil packed tuna, it's AWESOME--and a tossed salad with homemade Italian dressing.  I have an little apple for dessert if I'm still hungry.

I would NOT recommend trying to do a low-fat Whole 30 - You NEED the fat. You don't have to have it all at once though...Have some veggies sauteed in a bit of coconut oil, use it to cook your eggs in, use olive oil in salad dressings, make some mayo-based dressing to dip veggies in. Have some clarified butter on your steak or protein source.

Give it some time, you will feel worse before you feel better - that is part of the process, and why so many people give up before they have a chance to adjust.

If you are going from a low-fat diet, it will be more of a process for you, especially if your have been using "Fat-free" foods like yogurt, salad dressings, baked goods and such that replace the fat with sugar.

You got this, and we are here for you!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:17:40 AM by swick »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1059 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
Yikes! Rough start to the day, glad you are ok! Tigerblood is a fickle thing, you can lose it if you are eating too much, or in my case, not enough. It takes a bit of experimenting to figure out what works best for you. I find writing a quick food journal helps so I can connect the dots between what I am eating and how I am feeling.

I wrote a good post a while back on the psychological side of cravings...I'm sorry I have no idea where it is (I can't believe how big this thread has gotten!) but it might be worth a read? If you do find it, can you post a link to the post?

It can be an interesting experiment working through your cravings/finding substitutes/looking at your feelings and habits. Feel free to share your thoughts, happy to help you brainstorm some different solutions!

I love my Soda Stream.  Makes me happy :D

I'm doing good, I haven't tried to re-intro anything else yet. I haven't tried oats or beans since my first whole 30 in Sept. So I should, just not really in any hurry. I'm accepting the fact that meal planning ahead of time and having things prepared is the only way I can do it, otherwise, I tend to slide into not eating as much as I should be which stalls progress. I realize it on a brain level, but sometimes it is hard not to slip into old habits. In general though, I feel better than I ever have. Since Sept I'm down  46 lbs and most of my chronic heal issues have cleared up, so life is good :)

Thanks! And wow! That's some serious weight loss. I'm impressed. I'm hopeful I trim up a tad, but I don't own a scale, so my only measuring metric will be inches. Annnd I appear to have lost my soft measuring tape. >__> So it might be a mystery for awhile yet. I don't feel any different, but 15 days in is not a huge leap. AND I still need to get a handle on my overeating trend.
I think acknowledging that I'm not *actually* hungry, and calling myself on that will be key. When I'm crabby (as in, when I really want to sink my face into a cinnamon roll) I tend to have a "fuck it" response. When I'm not eating that cinnamon roll, that response means just eating more of whatever's around instead as... I'm not sure. Some sort of weird vigilante food justice? It's weird. And it's a behavior I'd like to kick in the teeth. :) I think food journaling is a stellar plan.
Hopefully people won't get sick of me. XD I'll probably talk them out here.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1060 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »
Thanks, Orvell!

Yeah I am very familiar with the "fuck it" thought process. I have found that having some non-food solutions when I am crabby has been a big help. Especially because then I don't have to deal with the inevitable guilt of having caved afterwards! A few deep breathing or visualization exercises, taking a few minutes to mentally tell myself things I am grateful for or reminding myself "why" I am doing this can help. As does taking a quick walk, doing a few stretches or turning on a song with a good beat and dancing for a few minutes.

Don't worry about scaring people away people come and go, pop back in from time to time..it's all good :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:29 AM »

I would NOT recommend trying to do a low-fat Whole 30 - You NEED the fat. You don't have to have it all at once though...Have some veggies sauteed in a bit of coconut oil, use it to cook your eggs in, use olive oil in salad dressings, make some mayo-based dressing to dip veggies in. Have some clarified butter on your steak or protein source.

Give it some time, you will feel worse before you feel better - that is part of the process, and why so many people give up before they have a chance to adjust.

If you are going from a low-fat diet, it will be more of a process for you, especially if your have been using "Fat-free" foods like yogurt, salad dressings, baked goods and such that replace the fat with sugar.

You got this, and we are here for you!

I am committed to giving it at least a full week :-)  I especially want to see if not consuming dairy will help with the chronic sinus and nasal congestion I have.

The interesting thing is that while I think this way of eating is not such a radical change for me, in reality it is a bigger change than I expected.  I normally eat a healthy basic diet.  I don't eat fast food and not much processed foods (I make my own salad dressing and prepare most of my food from scratch).  But I also tend to eat low fat, not much meat, heavy on fruit and vegetables/beans/lentils/peanut butter/cheese/plain yogurt and a good amount of carbs (rice/bread/sweet potatoes) with a shameful amount of sweets thrown into the mix (chocolate/dried fruit/cookies).  So I think the increased protein and fat intake is messing with me.  And lack of carbs/sugar...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1062 on: February 02, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
Hey ZiziPB - My sister was the same way - natural from scratch made everything, not a lot of fat/meat. She is very fit and healthy (always had a fast metabolism) She did a round to support my mom expecting no major changes. She didn't lose a lot of weight but lost more inches than she was expecting - and was quite surprised by some of the other results she had more energy, mental clarity, no cold sores (this one was HUGE for her) She said she could definitely see and feel a difference and it shocked her. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: February 02, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
Thank you Swick!  You are such great help!  Hopefully the hangover will pass soon and I start seeing benefits of this way of eating :-) 

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Hey all! Hang in there ZiziPB, you're doing great. The hangover will pass soon :-) I was the same as Swick's sister, and the changes for me were profound as well. Swick, great to hear about your sister's results!

I have a confession to make. I've tried a few times to make whole30 mayo, and I really don't like the taste of it! It tastes so different to "normal" mayo (I know that's the sugar and preservatives), and I tried to make myself like it, but it tastes too odd to my tastebuds. I'm sure it's something to do with the oil I'm using, but I've had enough of trying to make it work to be honest. Sorry. Letting the side down.

Good news is, I weaned myself off mayo a while back anyway and, whilst it would be nice to go with my salads, I'm okay with a bit of tahini at the moment :-)

Brown rice tonight, doesn't seem to have bothered me - I was wheezing a bit this morning though, hopefully not a delayed reaction to the porridge! We'll see tomorrow morning if the rice is affecting me in a similar way.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
As to mayo, I didn't follow any specific recipe, just used some as guidelines.  I remember as a child making mayo with my mom who doesn't really use recipes for any cooking ;-) 

I used one egg yolk (room temp), a teaspoon or so of mustard, some lemon juice, salt and pepper, light olive oil (not extra virgin).  The taste is more intense than store bought mayo but I like it.  I think it's the oil that makes the most difference in how mayo tastes.  I like mayo on hard boiled eggs, not sure if I would like it on a salad.  For salads I usually make a vinaigrette with either balsamic or red wine vinegar.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1066 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:20 AM »
Day 3 - drinking black tea with lemon instead of coffee this morning.  I used to drink a ton of tea in my younger days so the taste brings back lots of memories... Let's just hope that there is enough caffeine in it to not give me a headache.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »
Good luck, ZiziPB! I hope the belly is doin' better.

It is my Day 16!
So far so good. :) I changed up my breakfast and did a proper Whole30 one instead of my traditional green smoothie. Deliciousness entailed: a fried egg (in coconut oil... of course!) on a bed of raw kale, and half an avocado. It's still keeping me full, so I think it was a winner! And it didn't take me as much time to prepare (or eat) as I feared. I'm fairly covetous of my morning. ;P

I think I did a good job yesterday cracking down on the over-eating. I'm hopeful today can be a good day for it, too. Not boredom eating is keeeeey. SO key. I bought myself a nice big box of rose hip tea to help combat that. Drinking tea and using Swick's quick meditation advise are my current battle plans for that 'but I want something in my faceeee partssss' feeling when my body is not. actually. hungry.

Lunch will be half a sweet potato, leftover beets and parsnips, and a spinach and cucumber salad. With a hardboiled egg and an orange in reserve if I'm still (ACTUALLY) hungry afterwards.
\o/

Go team Whole30~!
I hope everyone else is doing fantastic?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
I didn't get a headache from not having my coffee, so I think I will switch to black tea in the morning for now. 

Overall, feeling much better today than yesterday, just suffering from a bit of a foggy brain.  My stomach seems to have settled down.  Missing oatmeal and chewing gum...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »
Awesome update, Orvell!

I do think there is something to be said for having a "real food" breakfast instead of a smoothie (as much as I appreciate the convenience. Easier for me to say in winter though!) I found this article an interesting take on smoothies (and other foods) http://www.toddcaldecott.com/superfoods-are-bullshit.html

ZiziPB - glad to hear you aren't getting coffee withdrawal headaches! When we were doing Whole 30, I had a much easier time with breakfast then my hubby did as I grew up with eggs and savory breakfasts and he doesn't really like eggs and grew up on the sweet stuff.  I would encourage you to experiment if you are missing oatmeal. Is it the oatmeal or the toppings you are missing? Also it helps if you frame things as Meal 1, 2, 3" instead of "breakfast, lunch, dinner" it gives you more options if you are looking beyond regular "breakfast" foods.

Things are going well here. After finishing my "official" whole 30, I tried a gluten-free ginger flavored ale. My mom had gotten me a 6 pack, forgetting I was still on it. I had one. It was....well...it got better 1/2 a bottle in? but as someone who actually loves and appreciates the "taste" of beer and alcohol...I won't be finishing the 6 pack.  Other then that, I'm still eating on plan, just seems to become a way of life.

Keeping up with the weight loss 2016 thread, I am really glad I don't have those struggles that many of the people seem to be experiencing. There is a certain freedom and getting your life back when something becomes a way of life instead of a "diet"

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: February 03, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »
(Full reply later)
That link was interesting, Swick, thanks. I wish he had provided an explanation on his assertion that cold food and drinks are more difficult to digest than warm foods and drinks. That struck me as... odd... And definitely pinged my "say what now" flags.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1071 on: February 03, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »
(Full reply later)
That link was interesting, Swick, thanks. I wish he had provided an explanation on his assertion that cold food and drinks are more difficult to digest than warm foods and drinks. That struck me as... odd... And definitely pinged my "say what now" flags.

fair enough, it is a common belief in Ayurvedic and Chinese Medicine, which is the background he writes from.  I can understand though. I tried fasting for Ramadan once when I lived in Turkey to see what it was all about. As soon as I could I drank a bottle of cold water and was promptly violently ill. They usually break their fast with a warm soup, even in warm weather.  It never made sense to me until after that!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challenge, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1072 on: February 03, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
Day Four is in the books.  I have a smoothie along with my breakfast, primarily so I can get my morning dose of gelatin down, but it's only half a banana, cinnamon and almond milk.  I do the afternoon dose with a mix of water and seltzer and pretty much choke it down because of the texture.  I might try just mixing the gelatin up in plain almond milk to see if that makes a difference and just have the banana/cinnamon smoothie as a treat. 

My coworker got impatient for Valentine's Day and gave everyone on the team mugs filled with candy.  I have enough mugs and definitely didn't need the candy, so I managed to give everything away.  I'm such an enabler.  :D

Right now my only exercise is a half-hour of walking around the seventh floor of my office building.  Per my Nike Plus app it comes out to 1.25 miles.  I was very sick this summer and it's only been recently that I've even wanted to exercise so I'm not pushing it.

Rock on, y'all!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

I finished my 3rd Whole30 yesterday and let me tell you, Bob, I feel fantastic! I have lost 41.6 pounds since July 2015 (so in 7 months). I lost about 10 on my own (through Primal/Mark's daily apple recommended by MMM), and then started my Whole30's in October. I did 2 back to back and then took a break over Christmas (massive fail) and then started up again in early January.

I continue to shrink, losing inches every month. I can't believe that I'm shopping in regular stores now (not plus size stores).  I can bypass most desserts and sweets with ease. I don't miss bread anymore. Dairy, meh. I'm addicted to eggs, spinach, tomatoes and avacado for breakfast ... I never thought I'd say that! I almost had a fit the other morning when I thought we were out of avacados!

1967daughter has lost 30 pounds on her 3rd Whole30 and is just delighted with her results! 1967papa is also seeing weight and inches lost, though he didn't have much to lose, just a bit of trimming up. He is eating Whole30 at home and trying to be careful, thought not 100% compliant, when travelling or eating at work.

For anyone who is reading this and never ever found a diet/eating plan/lifestyle that you can stick with, please consider Whole 30. Its all on the Whole 30 website for free! Nothing has ever worked for me ... ever! I have another 50lbs to go but I'm not worried about whether or not I can stick with it. There's no turning back for me now. I am 7.8 lbs from being out of the obesity range for BMI and just overweight! I can't believe that. My family doctor is so happy for me and he knows what a great long term outcome this means for my health as I get older.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful support on this thread. What a unique and special community! I'm sorry that I have been MIA recently, but honestly, its because I'm so busy out doing my life. I was a bystander when I was so overweight. I have tiger blood almost every day!

Spuggy - About the mayo. I made it once with the EVOO that I had in the cupboard, because I was desperate for some mayo with my tuna and celery bits for lunch. Previously, I had been making it with "light" or "light tasting" olive oil, since that's what was recommended but I was all out. Well the EVOO mayo was horrible! I threw it out. I hate wasting food but this stuff was nasty. So if you are getting mayo to the right texture but just don't like the taste, it could be worth it to try just one more time! I love me some Whole 30 mayo! I use this recipe.

MandalayVA - Way to get rid of that candy! I'm the same way now. Out it goes!

Swick - I'm finding the same thing reading the Weight Loss 2016 thread. I love that I'm not failing on a diet every day and beating myself up about it. I want to shout from the rooftops to come on over and give Whole30 a go!

Faraday/mefla - I know you haven't been around lately, but I had one to tell you! I have some weird thing called BPPV which is vertigo when I lie down or sit up. It only lasts for 20 seconds!. No biggie. Physiotherapy should take it away with some weird single treatment. Anyhoo, my sister's response was "go eat a sandwich" and my mom's response was "maybe its all the weight you've lost or how busy you are now!" Oh man! Being a SAHM, I don't take a lot of flack like those of you out in the workforce. So I was really taken aback when they both zeroed in on my diet right away (they are both overweight -- afflicted much??? grr!)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: February 04, 2016, 04:16:23 AM »
1967mama, your story is truly inspiring!  I am the same age as you are (I take it 1967 in your name is meaningful!) and my weight has been creeping up over the last few years.  I'm truly hoping that this program will change that for me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1075 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:46 AM »
Awesome update, 1967!  I love that your husband is on board with this so well too!

I wanted to mention, for those struggling with re-intro, that I've started reading The Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser, and though I'm not very far in, it seems that he spends most of the book on re-intro and designing a long-term diet (basically he advocates a 30 day reset that is the same as Whole30).  I thought one shortcoming of the It Starts With Food is that they focus on the 30 days and then kind of gloss over what comes next, so this book seems to kind of fill the gap.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: February 04, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
Yay for us oldsters (I'm '66 myself)!  Since this is my first Whole30 I won't know if I've lost any weight until 3/1, but I FEEL a ton better already.  Losing my fat ass will come in time, I'm sure.  :D

I used to use light olive oil in my mayo, but now I swear by avocado oil; thankfully it's fairly cheap at Costco.  And I'm in love with ghee and would marry it if polygamy was legal in Virginia.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1077 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
Yay for us oldsters (I'm '66 myself)!  Since this is my first Whole30 I won't know if I've lost any weight until 3/1, but I FEEL a ton better already.  Losing my fat ass will come in time, I'm sure.  :D

I used to use light olive oil in my mayo, but now I swear by avocado oil; thankfully it's fairly cheap at Costco.  And I'm in love with ghee and would marry it if polygamy was legal in Virginia.

Great update, Mandalay! 

I am sad to say that I am not feeling better at all.  In fact, I felt so tired the last couple of nights that I ended up crawling into bed at 8 pm.   I did go to the gym yesterday morning and had to force myself to get through my usual workout.  I have no energy at all...  I'm wondering if I'm coming down with something because I can't believe that the food I'm eating is causing that.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1078 on: February 04, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »
I am sad to say that I am not feeling better at all.  In fact, I felt so tired the last couple of nights that I ended up crawling into bed at 8 pm.   I did go to the gym yesterday morning and had to force myself to get through my usual workout.  I have no energy at all...  I'm wondering if I'm coming down with something because I can't believe that the food I'm eating is causing that.

Zizi, it sounds like you're used to a high-carb diet, have you cut carbs entirely? I found that Crossfit became insanely difficult in the heat of summer if I didn't have at least a cup of sweet potato with all my lunches and dinners. Make sure you're getting enough carbs!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1079 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:41 AM »

Zizi, it sounds like you're used to a high-carb diet, have you cut carbs entirely? I found that Crossfit became insanely difficult in the heat of summer if I didn't have at least a cup of sweet potato with all my lunches and dinners. Make sure you're getting enough carbs!
Well, I am not eating bread or oatmeal or rice, but I'm still eating sweet potatoes (had them with dinner every night this week), bananas (1 a day), and lots of other veggies and fruit.  Overall, I feel like I'm eating a lot and I am not hungry.  Not sure what else to do other than wait it out and hope that it will pass.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1080 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »

Well, I am not eating bread or oatmeal or rice, but I'm still eating sweet potatoes (had them with dinner every night this week), bananas (1 a day), and lots of other veggies and fruit.  Overall, I feel like I'm eating a lot and I am not hungry.  Not sure what else to do other than wait it out and hope that it will pass.

It will probably pass, I had some extreme tiredness when I started. My body was resetting from a lifetime of insomnia. I use to sleep 3-4 hours a night, if I was lucky. It's always been a bit of a struggle since my hubby has to get up super early for work he is usually asleep around 9:30 and up between 5-6. Now I have synched to his schedule without a problem and sleep the whole night.

Also, your body is putting a lot of energy into healing right now too, so you might not have the energy available to do a lot of working out. Honor your body as much as you can, if you feel the need to nap or go to bed early, go for it.

As far as coming down with something, when going off carbs many people experience something called the "Carb Flue" This is normal.

That being said, both hubs and I struggled the first time through with finding the "right" level of carbs. If you eat more carbs you will burn glucose as fuel. If you cut out enough carbs you will go into "Keto" where you are burning fat. There is a spot in the middle where if you are not eating enough carbs to keep up with the glucose but you are eating too many to go into keto, you will feel like shit.  We added some white potatoes and it helped immensely.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1081 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
I hope you find the right balance soon, ZiziPB! :)
And 1967mama, major congrats!!

Today is my Day 17. That number keeps getting higher. It's nuts! :D I'm really proud.

It's interesting: as people talk about their weight loss, I realize that, as much as I wish it were otherwise, I have a horse in this race, too. I'm not 'fat.' But I am... not fighting trim, either. I have probably 5-10 pounds I should shed minimum. As a 5'4" woman I ought to be hanging around the 130 range, not the 140 range. That said, I haven't stood on a scale in years. But I don't need a scale to see my cookie pouch.
And, thus far, that cookie pouch hasn't seemed to shrink. But I'm also only half way in. :) And still learning how to listen to my body when it says 'I'm not hungry anymore' (instead of 'I'm fucking stuffed now, asshole')
I'm also trying to concentrate on the non-cookie-pouch things. Like the fact that yesterday, I had some tigerblood energy! And generally, my energy level has lifted a notch. Not like, 10,000% more or anything. Just a notch. But that notch makes me happy. :)

Yesterday I had some victories!
  • At lunch I put away one of my 3 potato chunks for later after eating my salad first, not last. Aka I didn't just clean my plate out of habit. I paid attention to what my hunger levels were.
  • I ate a small handful of almonds for a snack that tasted like a treat and not just... nuts. They're so flavorful! I feel like I'm appreciating them more now. :)
  • I went over to my friends' house for dinner, brought an egg and all the required components for mayo, and whipped up a tuna salad on kale to have while they ate baked mac and cheese with soda. It filled me up fantastically, and I felt good after eating it. I'm becoming a wizard at social interactions in conjunction with my food plan.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #1082 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
Hey you awesome people, I finally overcame my inherent laziness and wrote my diet experiment blog post.

As promised...

http://thehappyphilosopher.com/food/

Enjoy.

:)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1083 on: February 05, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
Feeling better physically although my workout was still a drag this morning.  But I am in a very cranky mood today, so I guess I reached the "Kill ALL the things!" stage?

We had bagels and cream cheese during a departmental meeting this morning and that was hard!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1084 on: February 05, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
Feeling better physically although my workout was still a drag this morning.  But I am in a very cranky mood today, so I guess I reached the "Kill ALL the things!" stage?

We had bagels and cream cheese during a departmental meeting this morning and that was hard!
Glad you're starting to feel better, ZiziPB!
And good job not stabbing anyone when the bagel tray passed you. ;) That was only half sarcastic. Seriously: good job.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
@1967mamma: WAY TO GO! I love hearing your updates. So great that the rest of the family is on board and supporting  you :) Miss you around the thread, but so glad you are out enjoying life!

@MandalayVA: It might not be appropriate for your actual Whole 30, but I have started making my own gummy bears (and lego bricks!) as a way of getting more gelatin. Super easy to make and you can experiment with lots of flavours. I've been making a lime, vanilla, coconut milk gummy with no added sweetener and all the goodness of coconut milk :)

@Horsepoor: Thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely check it out!

@Spuggy: I second the use of "Light tasting" olive oil for making mayo. I have slowly started adding more EVOO or Avacado oil...but for the first long while if it wasn't made with light oil, the oil is ALL I could taste and did not enjoy it at all.

@Orvel: Yay for your successes! My "tummy" has been shrinking, but it was the very last thing to start going.  Actually, I didn't notice a huge amount of belly fat loss during my first whole 30, despite going down a pant, bra, and shirt size. I think it is the most stubborn!  Way to go on being able to socialize and keep on plan, it sounds like you have some supportive friends too :)

@frugaldoc: Thanks for your blog post, I found it (and the rest of your site) enlightening :)

@ZiziPB - Good job on resisting the bagels! The "kill all things" stage is a tough one to go through, but it won't last that long and as you figure ut how to deal with your cravings and your successes start to stack it gets easier and easier, then you realize one day that you know, it doesn't even seem tempting. That is a GOOD day and incredible feeling. Feels like freedom!

Hope y'all are having a fantastic day!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: February 05, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
I feel you, Zizi.  Today at Ginormocorp one of the "leadership" groups is hoping to drum up interest by offering popcorn, cake pops and punch.  Of course everyone who's loading up is fat and/or has type 2 diabetes.  To paraphrase Dr. Blake Donaldson, you are out of your mind when you take insulin in order to eat cake pops, which an alarming number of my coworkers do.  But I'm glad you're feeling better!

Day Five went well yesterday.  I went to our local natural foods place and not only found crap-free rotisserie chicken but crap-free coconut/almond milk.  Mixing the gelatin with water is failing (and gross) so the nut milk helps, although Swick's tip about making gummy bears might also come into play.  Still feeling good, although I missed my morning walk around the building due to a meeting that was actually productive for a change.  And I made awesome chicken salad with the breasts of the rotisserie chicken that will see me through a couple of lunches.

Let's keep it up!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1087 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »
@Orvel: Yay for your successes! My "tummy" has been shrinking, but it was the very last thing to start going.  Actually, I didn't notice a huge amount of belly fat loss during my first whole 30, despite going down a pant, bra, and shirt size. I think it is the most stubborn!  Way to go on being able to socialize and keep on plan, it sounds like you have some supportive friends too :)

:) I'm pretty lucky. My friends may not 'get' it, but they are not only understanding of it, they have been exceptionally kind about the whole thing.
I went to a buddy's house last night, and she offered me wine. She then stopped, looked at me in horror, and apologized. It was so cute. XD But also not necessary. I can handle saying no to wine, lol.

What you were saying is dead true. It gets easier. :) Wayyy easier. I watched her eat cheese and crackers and drink wine, and I had only the slightest of pangs!!!

ETA: And thanks for the reminder that a cookie-pouch not shrinking doesn't mean I'm not potentially losing weight elsewhere! :)) I'm curious to see what results I'll get when I measure up at the end of this. I'm not expecting anything (the non-weight/size bennies are pretty great already), but it'd be nice. :))
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:50:37 AM by Orvell »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1088 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
I bought two pairs of SIZE 10 JEANS last night!! Yes, I'm yelling!!!! I've been in 18's for at least 18 years!

One of my ESL students brought us a 3 1/2 pound bag of mini chocolates yesterday. Thanks a lot! Hahha! Since I had just finished my 3rd Whole30 I thought I could handle one or two. About 10 later, I was at home and feeling soooo tired, presumably from getting up early and teaching. I laid down for a bit but couldn't sleep. I forced myself back downstairs to do some mom things. Another hour went by and I went up to bed to lay down again. This second time I was analyzing how much sleep I got last night, etc when I had an ah-ha moment....it was the stupid freaking chocolate that was making me feel foggy and tired!! My tiger blood came back another hour later and I was buzzing around here like a busy littl bee!

I was happy to tell my husband my realization -- that I finally feel like this is a lifestyle for me and not a diet. I still have a long way to go (50lb) but I'm 40+ lbs down so well on my way. My days will be Whole30 with just a loosening of some of the rules. I took a photo of my favourite breakfast for you all yesterday! have a great day everyone -- we've got this!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1089 on: February 06, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
Hey, my friends! :)) Day 19 here.
How is everyone's weekend going?

I am heading off to a (laaaaate in the game) holiday party, and planning to pre-game my food situation, and bring Oro-friendly snacks. It's all about preparation, right? :) Available food will include: cupcakes, cheese, crackers, waffles, cookies, cookie dough, beer. No thanks!

In other news, I have a confession to make.
Whole30 says not to weigh or measure yourself during the duration of your game. >__>; Well. I cheated. But I was looking down at my cookie pouch, and had convinced myself it was BIGGER. That somehow I was getting FATTER despite eating the best I've eaten in the last... god, probably year.
So I got out the measuring tape. I'd taken a measurement of hips, thighs, bust, and waist on Jan 3rd. I was going to start getting more exercise then (half succeeded...) and wanted a baseline.
You'll notice I don't have a measurement for my cookie pouch on that list (and in case anyone's wondering, that's that lovable (gerrr) balloon of fat that sits right below my belly button.)

Turns out I've lost half an inch off my hips, one and a half inches off my waist, and half an inch of my thighs. I'll take it!

Conclusion: My cookie pouch is likely not diminished, but also likely not larger either. My frame of reference just shrunk!

Lolol!!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: February 06, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
The first week is in the books!

Remembering childhood days of Jello I tried a new tactic--I nuked half a mugful of the coconut/almond milk, whisked in the tablespoon of gelatin, then added more milk to cool it down.  SUCCESS!  No lumps or grit, and it tasted like borderline hot cocoa, rich and creamy but with way fewer calories.  I'm not a coffee drinker but this makes a nice breakfast beverage and afternoon snack.

Tomorrow is food prep day.  More vanilla/cinnamon almond milk, chopping up cauliflower for "rice" in my Cuisinart since a local store was having a good sale on fresh heads. 

I had to work overtime this morning, which means that my supervisor arrives bearing either donuts or bagels.  Today it was bagels. Fortunately she's not pushy with them.  They were from Panera Bread anyway, which means they were bread donuts rather than real bagels. 

Have a good weekend!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1091 on: February 08, 2016, 03:06:01 AM »
Week 1 finished!  I didn't do terribly well this weekend - I did stick to the program, but ate way too many dates (that I bought to use in a red cabbage salad).  But all in all, I'm slowly getting used to it.  I cooked a bunch of things yesterday so I have all my meals planned and prepared for the week :-)

BTW, I am not seeing any improvement at all in my nasal congestion after one week with no dairy...

jordanread

« Reply #1092 on: February 08, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
It's premature, since I haven't hit my 30 days yet, but there is a reason for that.

Lessons Learned From My First Attempt At A Whole30

• Sugar is in everything - One of the things that this opened my eyes to was the fact at how surprising reading the labels on things can be. Sugar seems to be added to everything, even most Curry Pastes. While I only eat trace amounts regularly (haven't even used my bag of sugar in over 2 years), I still ingest a surprising amount. When I track my food intake using MFP, I have it set up to only look at Macronutrient proportions, and sugar isn't on there. May have to keep an eye on that.
  • Pork Belly is amazeballs - I am a huge advocate and fan of bacon, and have discussed wanting to attempt to cure my own pork belly into delicious bacon. However, until I started this, we hadn't looked too deeply into it. While shopping for interesting foods to keep the Whole30 interesting, we found a regular and delicious supply of it at our local asian market. We'd been there before, and bought stuff, but never looked at the pork belly. Even though I haven't cured my own bacon yet, I've made some new meals with pork belly as the meat. It's cheaper than bacon, and the way we've cooked it provides at least 4 different textures and flavors.
  • Curry paste is easy and delicious to make - This started with the vindaloo pork belly. Heating up seeds and peppercorn, mixing it with garlic and oil, makes for an amazingly flavorful and flexible paste. I've used it as a mix with hash, a marinade/rub, or to mix in with meat and veggies. We've done it a few times, and we'll continue to make it regularly. I still haven't made a huge batch to store and use as we will, but part of that is because I have a really small mortar/pestle. It's on the list though.
  • Clarified butter might be mandatory - Since I get the majority of my calories from fat, and specifically from grass-fed butter, the lack of this during the Whole30 made it a bit difficult to sate my appetite. I didn't make clarified butter this time (and I haven't actually ever done it), but I most certainly will next time.
  • Salads need to be a more regular part of my diet - I absolutely love salads, but they haven't been a regular part of things. We usually do a meat and a veggie side. We've started doing more, even though the other half isn't a fan of delicious chef salads like I am. She likes a touch of sweetness, so we've been experimenting with cabbage, fruit, tomatoes, and mild onions (like scallions or green onions). I think she's coming around to the idea of having a salad with almost every meal (at least on weekends). It's more cost effective than meat, and stretches the meals when I have like 3 of them.

So I'm only on day 14 or something like that, but I'm temporarily throwing in the towel. I'm personally having too many issues with smoking and drinking. Technically, I never had a fully successful day to either one (or both) of those issues. I'm taking a step back for a bit, and working on a few other things. Things like working out, quitting smoking, and getting the booze under control. Once I'm at a less volatile base line, I am going to try it again, and I'm going to try to get the other half to do it with me. I need to start bringing in some money as well, and the next one will be planned a hell of a lot better (with less limitations on cost). It was interesting while it lasted, and I learned some things that I will stick with, but for now, I'm reverting back to my primal lifestyle. I'll go back to lurking on this thread, and jump back in when I restart. I hope there is a lot that other people learn from this. I didn't even stick with it, and learned a lot. Just remember, it's temporary, it's a dietary reset, and it's a learning experience.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1093 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
It's premature, since I haven't hit my 30 days yet, but there is a reason for that...

Good effort JR. If you're used to using lots of butter, clarifying some is a must. It also tastes amazing on everything. Cool insights on the pork belly and curry paste. I've tried my hand at pork belly once and didn't do it so well, did you follow a recipe or just wing it? Going to have to try making our own curry paste, we have a big mortar and pestle that my mom gave us when I moved out. Best of luck getting everything else settled.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
Starting Whole30 #4

Hi everyone,

I started my Whole30 journey in October 2015 and have strung 4 together with a week or so off in between, and have lost 41 pounds and dropped from a size 18 to a size 10. However, I have yet to have a proper reintroduction phase. Unfortunately, each time I have jumbled more than one food group together, feel lousy, and go back onto another Whole30.

Whole30 #3 ended February 4th, 2016 and I would call it a success. My goals for Whole30 #4 include: less snacking, less fruit/more vegetables, more substantial protein servings at lunch and dinner, less juice/more water, less Larabars and dates, more healthy fats, NO SCALE! I find it interesting that I even want to refine my Whole30'ing process. Before discovering Whole30, I didn't care one bit about what I ate, and ballooned up to 70+ pounds over my ideal weight after 2 injuries and surgeries.

I feel like I have my life back, for sure, but I don't yet feel like I've got this! So the fine tuning is hopefully getting me closer to being able to ride my own bike without training wheels. I'm still dealing with my sugar dragon (small s, small d) and so I think that all the fruit, fruit juice, Lara bars and dried fruit are feeding that addiction.

jordanread - Congratualtions on your accomplishment and all the best to you as you attempt to overcome other issues in your life. Jump back in anytime!

ziziPB - Congrats on finishing week 1. I've read that it can take 2 weeks to clear the system of dairy (back in my breastfeeding days when I had a baby that was reacting poorly to the dairy proteins in my milk). YMMV Swick?? Maybe you have more info on this??Don't give up!

MandalayVA - That's smart to have a food prep day. I haven't done that before. Do you meal plan too?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1095 on: February 09, 2016, 04:06:43 AM »
1967mama, #4!  That's impressive!  Your plan and goals sound great.

I am definitely not giving up - I want to go the full 30 days.  I prepped and planned my food for the week on Sunday.  I typically do that anyway, because when I work I'm usually too tired to cook properly.  I like coming home to a dinner waiting in the fridge or freezer.  This time I also prepared my breakfasts (I made a big egg frittata with veggies and sausage that I portioned for the week) and cooked and portioned my lunches (roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes and beets with curried turkey - sounds weird but tastes great!).  I'm still eating a lot of fruit but limited to fresh this week.  No dates for me this week (they definitely wake up my Sugar Dragon :-).  As to the nasal congestion, I think I actually have a cold so it may be hard to tell. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: February 09, 2016, 04:33:32 AM »
Excellent job, Mama! 

I don't really plan meals since for the most part they're fairly simple.  I did branch out on Sunday by making meat loaf for dinner (here's the recipe, without the dairy, of course:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lasagna-meatloaf/, leftovers are awesome) and an "Italian sauce" with ground chicken, mushrooms and marinara sauce, which will go on top of cauliflower "rice."  I'm having that tonight since I have an appointment and that can be heated up quickly. 

As another person who treated her body like a toxic waste dump rather than a temple, I'm surprised that I haven't had any clutching moments.  The only sweet things I have are the almond milk, which isn't really sweet at all but just has the nice hint of vanilla and cinnamon, and an apple with my weekday lunches.  I don't really have a sweet tooth but I'm intrigued by Larabars.  One might have come in handy on Saturday when I was hungry but running errands.  I don't think I'd keep a stash, though.

Let's keep rocking this!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1097 on: February 09, 2016, 08:29:38 AM »
It's great to read everyone's experiences! Jordanread, you have my salute for trying to kick some nasties to the curb. You can totally do it.

I'm on my Day 21

(TMI TIME)
I had a less than perfect morning. I was feeling kinda shitty in the gut for the first time in a looong time, and I was pretty grumpy about that. But then I took the world's largest poop. So I forgive my body for being grumpy about having all that waiting at the zoo exit doors. ;) Now I'm feeling fab.
(/TMI TIME)

I'm slowly getting prepped for my long weekend away from my kitchen. I made some home-made larabars (dates and cashews smashed together and rolled out) and stuck 'em in the freezer, picked up a bag of apples, and tossed some on-sale (due to expiration dates coming up) guacamole single-serve packets in the freezer too. I've got eggs to hard boil, and a plan to make up a nice big batch of tuna salad. I'm ready to defeat this potential hurtle!

Meanwhile I'm eating up some seriously delicious soup. Carrot and sweet potato = orange deliciousness.

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1098 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Hi all, popping back in to say hello and WOW, you're all doing really well! MandalayVA, I need some of that meatloaf in my face like, right now! Will definitely be making that this weekend.

So it's pancake day over here in the UK - I debated making them with bananas and eggs, but decided it's too SWYPO-y for me (and would lead to "well, I have to put golden syrup on them, right?!") so I have made myself some fish with sweet potato and broccoli, and have made my husband a stack of pancakes with fruit and chocolate spread. I think I deserve wife points for that!!

1967mama, congrats on finishing so many whole30s, and on your change of mindset :) I think dates and Nakd bars (Larabar UK equivalent) are definitely my sugar substitutes, so have really tried to stop eating them. Something that has worked for me is herbal tea - ymmv, but I find it keeps my cravings in check until they pass.

Keep going everyone :D

jordanread

« Reply #1099 on: February 09, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Good effort JR. If you're used to using lots of butter, clarifying some is a must. It also tastes amazing on everything. Cool insights on the pork belly and curry paste. I've tried my hand at pork belly once and didn't do it so well, did you follow a recipe or just wing it? Going to have to try making our own curry paste, we have a big mortar and pestle that my mom gave us when I moved out. Best of luck getting everything else settled.

The first two times we made it, we followed a recipe. Specifically, the Vindaloo Pork one and the 3 hour pork belly. I was a bit skeptical of the 3 hour one, since it cooks dry. It made the skin super crispy and delicious, and was surprisingly juicy. So overall they were both successful. I got the idea of the curry paste from the Vindaloo pork, and kind of winged it from there.

jordanread - Congratualtions on your accomplishment and all the best to you as you attempt to overcome other issues in your life. Jump back in anytime!

Jordanread, you have my salute for trying to kick some nasties to the curb. You can totally do it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'll be back, and lurk in the meantime. :)