Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427047 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1000 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
We broke Whole 30 last Saturday to have a victory dinner at a divey burger place with a few friends from our old gym. My wife and her partner came in 3rd place in the top women's division at a Crossfit competition. Right back on it Sunday though, and all this week. I think we are going to continue Whole 30 + 1 non-Whole 30 meal per week indefinitely. I'm down 10 lbs since the first of January, she's down 5. I'm finally stringing pull-ups and toes-to-bar together during workouts, something I've never been able to do before (only singles). We have an epic lunch planned this Saturday with people from our box since we're all doing an Olympic lifting class in the morning (snatch and clean & jerks). Dance class in the afternoon, early Lunar New Year celebration in the evening, and wife is going dancing that night, so I'll get a few hours of quality Diablo 3 time. Hope everybody else is doing well!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1001 on: January 28, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
Day 10~~!!

Thank you to 1967mama, mom22boys, and ketchup for the traveling Whole30 ideas! I'm feeling re-invigorated, and a little excited to plan it out. ^__^

ZiziPB, I won't be starting Feb1st, but I'll still be in my first Whole30 at that time. We'll be on different cars of the same train. :)

In Whole30 news:

My awesome tiger blood fizzled into less awesome sleepy cat, which while expected still was an "awwww" moment. I'm hoping to get it back today, as I have much to do. (Soo much to do)
I explained this plan to my friend, mentioning I'm using it to help with my intermitenet binge eating habits. She confessed she does that too sometimes but, "I would never give up sugar to deal with it!"
Her loss.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1002 on: January 28, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
Continuing to read the thread and getting more and more excited about starting this ;-)  Started a shopping list for my weekly grocery shopping on the weekend...

Things that I need to figure out and keep in mind when planning my meals:

- milk substitute for my morning coffee (thanks for the coconut milk/oil idea, swick - I will try it)
- portable breakfast ideas for my gym days (need something I can take with me and eat in the office after my workout).  One option is 2 hard boiled eggs with some mayo (need to make some this weekend), V8 juice and a banana.  Any other suggestions?
- make clarified butter this weekend
- remember to increase good fat intake - my basic diet tends to be fairly low fat so I need to change my mindset and ingrained habits

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1003 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
ZiziPB: A portable breakfast I do most work days (I eat after I walk to work not before) is a smoothie. My go-to is: kale, spinach, a generous pile of flax, an orange, some frozen fruit, some ginger, a spoonful of coconut milk. Throw in an ice chunk or two after it's blended, and you have yourself a portable breakfast!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1004 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
ZiziPB: A portable breakfast I do most work days (I eat after I walk to work not before) is a smoothie. My go-to is: kale, spinach, a generous pile of flax, an orange, some frozen fruit, some ginger, a spoonful of coconut milk. Throw in an ice chunk or two after it's blended, and you have yourself a portable breakfast!

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I don't own a blender.  I used to have a stick blender but it died and I haven't replaced it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1005 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
Huh! Well, if you decide to get one, I can say mine has gotten fairly constant use in the 1.5 years I've had it. :)

In other news, it's interesting how I feel like my hunger levels have stopped being insane. Pre-this-experiment I would get realllllly fucking hungry, eat too much, and then be realllllly fucking full and feel gross. Probably mostly just due to the fiber content, that's not happening. There's only so much you CAN eat before you feel done. I'm also being better about eating a high quality breakfast. Today it was a hardboiled egg, some fruit, and some cashews. :)

I just sorta realized sitting at my desk today that I'm not clawing at the computer waiting to bust into my food. I'm ready for it, but in that gentle, "you could use some food now" way, not the, "holy jesus put it in your face," way.
I like it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1006 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
Huh! Well, if you decide to get one, I can say mine has gotten fairly constant use in the 1.5 years I've had it. :)

In other news, it's interesting how I feel like my hunger levels have stopped being insane. Pre-this-experiment I would get realllllly fucking hungry, eat too much, and then be realllllly fucking full and feel gross. Probably mostly just due to the fiber content, that's not happening. There's only so much you CAN eat before you feel done. I'm also being better about eating a high quality breakfast. Today it was a hardboiled egg, some fruit, and some cashews. :)

I just sorta realized sitting at my desk today that I'm not clawing at the computer waiting to bust into my food. I'm ready for it, but in that gentle, "you could use some food now" way, not the, "holy jesus put it in your face," way.
I like it.

I'm trying not to buy any new kitchen gadgets (especially nothing electric) because I'm planning a move overseas in a couple of years.

Good to know that hunger levels stabilize on this plan.  I'm the kind of person who is "always hungry" :-)  Although I suspect that most of it is not really hunger but just a habit of constant snacking...  It will be interesting to see if I can stick to 3 square meals a day if I change my way of eating.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:20:37 AM by ZiziPB »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1007 on: January 28, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »

I like it.

Orvell - I think we're sisters!  LOL  You described my pre-Whole 30 days to a T. 

One thing I should mention. Smoothies/protein drinks are technically NOT supposed to be part of your Whole 30.  The reason is that they become SWYPO for most people.  They totally were for me!  Now, I'm NOT going say that Orvell, you should stop having your smoothies, because only you can determine whether it's SWYPO or not for you. :-)  They have a similar rule for pancakes or desserts in general. There are many paleo recipes that technically follow the permitted ingredients of the Whole 30, but are too much like the 'real deal'. That means your not breaking your dependency on those vices for the future.  The book can explain this WAYYYY better than me, so I hope I did it justice.

ZiziPB - For breakfast, I will often make a couple recipes from NomNomPaleo.  One is her Prosciutto wrapped mini frittatas and the other is her Spicy tuna cakes. They are great for grabbing on the go. You can find them here, along with a bunch of other Whole 30 ideas:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

One other tip is to remember that breakfast is really just another meal.  It doesn't have to be 'breakfasty' food only. That's why I also do the tuna cakes.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1008 on: January 28, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
I get to say "huh" again!
Huh!
I get the "paleo versions of things" issue. I really do. Pancakes and desserts that are "healthy" still emphasize the same eating patterns and don't actually help you break any cycles *nods* It's the same reasons people with alcohol issues are told not to just witch to alcohol free beer. It doesn't solve the root habit.
I guess I'm not clear on how a smoothie qualifies? What is it emulating that is unhealthy?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1009 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
Thank you, mom22boys.  Some of these recipes look yummy!  But I have to say that the thought of eating dinner type foods for breakfast makes my stomach turn for some reason.  Weird...   Need to work on changing my mindset ;-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1010 on: January 28, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »
Huh!
I get the "paleo versions of things" issue. I really do. Pancakes and desserts that are "healthy" still emphasize the same eating patterns and don't actually help you break any cycles *nods* It's the same reasons people with alcohol issues are told not to just witch to alcohol free beer. It doesn't solve the root habit.
I guess I'm not clear on how a smoothie qualifies? What is it emulating that is unhealthy?

As I understand it (and I'm totally new to this, so please excuse me if the answer is ignorant), it's something about not drinking your food.  You're supposed to eat it (meaning chew it). 

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1011 on: January 28, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
UPDATES? How is everyone doing?

Forgot a few things on my last post!  Thankfully my sugar dragon is retreating in defeat (Go Hulk!). But, my son's birthday is on Monday, February 1, which is after day 30.  I'm not sure whether I'll partake in a little sweets for ONLY that day or not.  Either way I'm going to continue with mostly Whole 30.  I'm really trying to figure out still how to move forward.  Some ideas I've been playing around with are: 
  • Do PURE Whole 30 always at home, but allow some minor cheats when going out
  • Do Whole 30 with only trace amounts of sugar, but allow minor cheats when going out

From my previous reintros, I haven't noticed dramatic issues with most foods other than sugar. Once I start with sugar, it's full throttle forward. If I do have a little cheat on Monday, it will be back to full NO sugar on Tuesday. Since I don't have huge issues with other foods, I need to think more about other options to add to this list.

Orvell - Just saw your post.  Let me see if I can find some better explanations on the Whole 30 site for you about smoothies.  I might not be until tonight, since lunch is over and I have a ton of work to get done. 

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #1012 on: January 28, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
ZiZiPB -  I'm doing the W90 this time round so while I won't be starting out with you I'm still on-board for February. 

One thing I will say is don't be afraid to buy the right supplies.  In my first go round of W30 I wouldn't have made it between work and life commitments if I had to make all the sauces/flavor myself.  I totally bought the Ghee, Red Boat, Coconut Aminos, an emerision blender, fancy salts and spices.    I tried to be frugal where i could like getting my spice grinder (for NomNoms Magic Mushroom) at goodwill but overall i didn't sweat the investment.  Nor in buying more organic and grass fed options.  If I was going to be eating the skins of kiwis,  it was worth it.   Even the Whole Food buffet was acceptable if it was compliant regardless of cost.  I put my effort into planning appropriately but not necessarily in making everything from scratch.

Anybody Else-  out there contemplating a longer W30 I'll say that until reading this thread today it didn't occur to me that January W30 was wrapping up.  Which was pretty shocking to me.  On my last 2 W30s I was so hyper aware of when I could have a glass of wine and some Thai food again that the last week felt sooooo long.  Knowing that I'm only a third of the way through has definitely prevented most of that whole 'when it's over I can have X again' attitude.   

I'll see how I feel in March but I consider the putting off of those thoughts even if only for a month or two hugely successful.  Hopefully the other expected benefit of a W90 will kick in, automatic food choices, but I'll have to wait to report back on that one.  :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1013 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »
Awooga! Awooga! Team Whole30 Awesomeness, I need your help!

Specifically, I need help brainstorming themed party food that I can eat. :O Specifically-specifically, we're talking about a Star Wars party (for adults).

Originally I came up with fun things involving alcohol and sugar. These things are now out. Anyone have any great ideas?
I'm thinking I can make a lime seltzer water thing that can be "swamp water" for Yoda... I was going to do chocolate dipped pretzel sticks as light sabers. Maybe carrots instead? That feels pretty boring...

Help me Obi Whole30 Kenobi. You're my only hope.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1014 on: January 29, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
ZiZiPB -  I'm doing the W90 this time round so while I won't be starting out with you I'm still on-board for February. 

One thing I will say is don't be afraid to buy the right supplies.  In my first go round of W30 I wouldn't have made it between work and life commitments if I had to make all the sauces/flavor myself.  I totally bought the Ghee, Red Boat, Coconut Aminos, an emerision blender, fancy salts and spices.    I tried to be frugal where i could like getting my spice grinder (for NomNoms Magic Mushroom) at goodwill but overall i didn't sweat the investment.  Nor in buying more organic and grass fed options.  If I was going to be eating the skins of kiwis,  it was worth it.   Even the Whole Food buffet was acceptable if it was compliant regardless of cost.  I put my effort into planning appropriately but not necessarily in making everything from scratch.

Anybody Else-  out there contemplating a longer W30 I'll say that until reading this thread today it didn't occur to me that January W30 was wrapping up.  Which was pretty shocking to me.  On my last 2 W30s I was so hyper aware of when I could have a glass of wine and some Thai food again that the last week felt sooooo long.  Knowing that I'm only a third of the way through has definitely prevented most of that whole 'when it's over I can have X again' attitude.   

I'll see how I feel in March but I consider the putting off of those thoughts even if only for a month or two hugely successful.  Hopefully the other expected benefit of a W90 will kick in, automatic food choices, but I'll have to wait to report back on that one.  :)

Thanks CryingInThePool - maybe I am underestimating this program, but I just don't feel like a I need anything special to do it.  I have a wide variety of spices in my cupboard that I use on regular basis.  I am a competent and adventurous cook, so I feel very comfortable making my own mayo, aioli or clarified butter (and I will enjoy the process).  The immersion blender I used to own went mostly unused in recent years - I bought it and used it when my daughter (now 22 YO) was a baby to make baby food for her.  She recently found it in one of my drawers and tried to use it herself only to discover that it was dead ;-)  So I'm not likely to start needing one just because I'm on Whole30. 

Again, maybe I'm naive but I just don't see that this way of eating is really so different than what I normally do anyway - just skip the sugar and the carbs.  I think the biggest issue for me will be giving up sweets, dairy and oatmeal :-) 

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1015 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
Huh!

Sorry this is a little late.  Here's a couple quotes from the official Whole 30 'Can I have' guide about smoothies and protein shakes...with the link at the end if you want to read the whole thing.

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No
Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia. However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it? Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t
This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.
- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.mVk5cZa7.dpuf

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1016 on: January 29, 2016, 11:53:47 AM »
Hey Orvell,

How long do you have till your party? Is this something you want to do totally on budget? Just wondering because Thinkgeek (and probably other online retailers have some neat things)  Adorable R2D2 bento boxes...ice cube molds that could be used for all types of things...little pats of Han Solo in carbonite clarified butter for a baked potato bar? Death Star ice cubes for a Dagoba "swamp" punch? Homemade complient-ish gummies... (I might admit to having these molds)

How are your carving Skills? The idea of a carved Watermelon death star fruit salad centerpiece popped into my head. Grab a round watermelon chop in half, scoop out the flesh, carve the outside to look like  two halves of the death start (top and bottom) place fruit salad in the middle so you can open it up to serve after everyone ogles it.

Could you draw or print out some alliance or imperial symbol stencils that you could use to dust the top of some no chickpea hummous or other complaint dip with? Then you could make the logo with Paprika or other colorful tasty spice on the  top of the dip.

If you don't really like your friends you could take some various innards and make some Ton-Ton Surprise Soup. Maybe based on Tripe Soup? There are some good Turkish recipes, not something I have ever been a fan of that though...

ohh and because compliant and awesome...Wookie bacon hashbrowns!!http://www.carrieelle.com/star-wars-breakfast-ideas-tie-fighter-eggs-anyone#_a5y_p=2867648

Ohhh....you could make Dagoba (green) or Tatooine (brown) marbled eggs, split them and make deviled eggs!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: January 29, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
Huh!

Sorry this is a little late.  Here's a couple quotes from the official Whole 30 'Can I have' guide about smoothies and protein shakes...with the link at the end if you want to read the whole thing.

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No
Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia. However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it? Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t
This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.
- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.mVk5cZa7.dpuf

Thanks for looking that up for me! It makes sense on the fruit side of things for sure. :)
I think I'll keep on making mine, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. Maybe when I do my next one I'll try it without them. I try to make my smoothies at least half greens and stopped using bananas in them specifically because of the sugar content. I appreciate the intel!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
Hey Orvell,

How long do you have till your party? Is this something you want to do totally on budget? Just wondering because Thinkgeek (and probably other online retailers have some neat things)  Adorable R2D2 bento boxes...ice cube molds that could be used for all types of things...little pats of Han Solo in carbonite clarified butter for a baked potato bar? Death Star ice cubes for a Dagoba "swamp" punch? Homemade complient-ish gummies... (I might admit to having these molds)

How are your carving Skills? The idea of a carved Watermelon death star fruit salad centerpiece popped into my head. Grab a round watermelon chop in half, scoop out the flesh, carve the outside to look like  two halves of the death start (top and bottom) place fruit salad in the middle so you can open it up to serve after everyone ogles it.

Could you draw or print out some alliance or imperial symbol stencils that you could use to dust the top of some no chickpea hummous or other complaint dip with? Then you could make the logo with Paprika or other colorful tasty spice on the  top of the dip.

If you don't really like your friends you could take some various innards and make some Ton-Ton Surprise Soup. Maybe based on Tripe Soup? There are some good Turkish recipes, not something I have ever been a fan of that though...

ohh and because compliant and awesome...Wookie bacon hashbrowns!!http://www.carrieelle.com/star-wars-breakfast-ideas-tie-fighter-eggs-anyone#_a5y_p=2867648

Ohhh....you could make Dagoba (green) or Tatooine (brown) marbled eggs, split them and make deviled eggs!
Oh! These are all *great* ideas! :D I'm short on time and (always) on a budget, but some of these I can toootally do.
You are awesome! And creative!!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1019 on: January 29, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
It's me again. I sure have been taking up a lot of real estate space on this thread. Heh. Sorry. You guys are just a big part of my support system right now. :)
I'm finishing up Day 11 and the food bordem is setting in. Came home from work and made pumpkin soup. It was fine. I even put extra coconut oil in it to make it more filling.

But god damn it if I don't want a tumbler of whisky and a pile of cookies.

The moral of this story is that my willpower is holding. And I'm going to try to cook something interesting this weekend.
I mentioned earlier that I haven't cooked meat (not really) in several years. I think it might be time to change that. I think I'll start with chicken since it seems the least scary. Or maybe bacon (because I've always had a weak spot for that). Basically the eggs and sardines are getting hella old. I miss my beans.

Anyone have any favorite low-effort but awesome-result "baby's first try at cooking meat in several years" recipes they want to share? :) Specifically for chicken related ideas. I have a crock pot! And I've gotten over (almost....) the fact that my monthly food budget is higher than normal. I'm accepting that.

:) Thanks guys. You all are really wonderful.

jordanread

« Reply #1020 on: January 29, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
Orvell, definitely try the kalua pig in the crock pot. Super easy, super tasty, and super versatile. Add it to eggs, baba ganoush, out anything else.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: January 30, 2016, 12:57:19 AM »
Orvell - This chicken recipe is terrific and my whole family loves it. I always make a huge batch. I skip the jalepenos.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/easy-mediterranean-chicken/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1022 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
Hey everyone! Happy last day to those of us doing a January whole 30!

Who is starting a Whole 30 In Feb?

I don't think I'm in for a strict Whole 30, but planning on developing the long-term Whole 30 inspired lifestyle.

Did some meal planning and prep for the week, I find when I don't my whole week goes for a shit, so I need to stay in top of it.

This week:

Lamb Stew is in the crockpot
Nom-Nom's prosciutto wrapped mini frittatas are cooling
Making some double stuffed "green" potatoes for Hubby's lunch for the week
Roasting squash and eggplant so I can easily make Babaganoosh and some Ragatooie  later in the week.

What does everyone else have planned food wise for the upcomming week?

Need to plan some more breakfast stuff, but it is a good start :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1023 on: January 31, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
I'm not W30'ing, just trying to keep it 90% paleo, but I like this thread.  :)  I made some paleo salmon cakes yesterday with a freezer burnt salmon fillet.  Cooking it sous vide, it didn't even seem freezer burnt once it was cooked.  Mixed in eggs, frozen spinach, sauteed onion and celery, dill, salt, garlic and chile paste and a little coconut flour to hold it together and baked until firm.  These should make a good quick breakfast with some sweet potato or a piece of fruit when I'm sick of eggs.  I was buying salmon burgers at CostCo, but they have some "ingredients" in them (like soybean oil, IIRC), so homemade FTW.

I've been doing smoothies and yogurt for breakfast more lately, in part because I want to use up my bag of whey protein and stash of frozen fruit, and in part because I've learned to make yogurt and it's awesome.  BUT I'm going to trend back to either fasting until lunchtime, or eating a more paleo breakfast once the current batch of yogurt is gone.

Swick, please tell me more about these green potatoes!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1024 on: January 31, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »

Bake potatoes (russets) scoop out the flesh, mix with some chopped up steamed broccoli (the green) and whatever other sauteed veggies and meatbits happen to be in the fridge and cheese if you are eating it. At the very least I always add roasted red peppers and green onion. Season to taste. I usually do salt, pepper and smoked paprika. I  have some rosemary mild Italian sausage I'll add to this batch. Then put the filling into the scooped out potatoes and give them another quick bake.

They reheat well and freeze well. Good for using up leftovers and having a quick alternative for Hubby's lunches. - Basically, they are double baked stuffed potatoes. Hubby grew up calling them "green" potatoes and the name has stuck.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: January 31, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
Okay, I'm in!

Today is Day One.  I made avocado oil mayo and unsweetened vanilla cinnamon almond milk (I used a vanilla bean, not extract; the milk is pretty good). My one worry was butter, which I love, but last year I got a box from the Clothes Make the Girl site which contained a jar of grass-fed ghee.  I cooked my scrambled eggs with a teaspoon of the ghee this morning and the ghee tasted FANTASTIC.  It'll be interesting to see how the ghee is on my planned steamed broccoli for dinner tonight--roasting some chicken to go with the broccoli.

I've already eliminated alcohol; I haven't had any since New Year's (this is BIG).  I don't drink coffee, and I like my food pretty plain, even as I have a bowl of leftover Swiss steak in my fridge that I'll probably pair with steamed cauliflower to take for lunch tomorrow.   

Let's see how it goes, kids.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1026 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »

Bake potatoes (russets) scoop out the flesh, mix with some chopped up steamed broccoli (the green) and whatever other sauteed veggies and meatbits happen to be in the fridge and cheese if you are eating it. At the very least I always add roasted red peppers and green onion. Season to taste. I usually do salt, pepper and smoked paprika. I  have some rosemary mild Italian sausage I'll add to this batch. Then put the filling into the scooped out potatoes and give them another quick bake.

They reheat well and freeze well. Good for using up leftovers and having a quick alternative for Hubby's lunches. - Basically, they are double baked stuffed potatoes. Hubby grew up calling them "green" potatoes and the name has stuck.

Oh, that sounds great (and cheap), thanks!

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1027 on: January 31, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
Welcome on board MandalayVA - it sounds like you've definitely got this!

Guys, I MADE IT TO THE END! Today is the last day for me too, and it has been SO informative (see my previous posts). On top of the other non-scale victories, I lost some weight too (about 6lbs), which is good enough for me.
I'm going to start s-l-o-w-l-y introducing some whole grains and legumes back in next week, so have made the chocolate chilli again but added kidney beans into it, and made a beef curry with a paste that contains maize flour. I'm going to have porridge for breakfast tomorrow and see how it goes. As for sugar, I may have a little chocolate as the week goes on, or I may not. I'm easy either way, which is amazing for me.

Swick, those green potatoes sound lush and are on my "to make" list :-)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: January 31, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMEGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1029 on: January 31, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »
WAY TO GO! CONGRATS SPUGGY!!!!

So awesome! What was your biggest take away from going through the Whole 30? Also, what is your re-intro plan? It is definitely the murkiest part. Please let us know how it goes and what your experiences are!

MandalayVA - looking forward to hearing how you do, please keep us posted and use the group for support and info!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: January 31, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm starting tomorrow. Off to clarify butter and make some mayo now!  Lunches this week will be a salad with tuna (got Italian tuna in olive oil at Costco today). Dinners: roast chicken with roasted Brussel sprouts, butternut squash and sweet potatoes.  I usually eat the same thing for lunch and dinner a few days in a row.  I got some coconut milk for my coffee. Hard boiled eggs with mayo, v8 juice and banana for breakfast.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
Yay on everyone starting! :D I wish you all luck and fortitude!

It is my Day 14
I have been experiencing The Cravings. It'd been awhile. I had brunch with buddies at a great spot in town, and watched them eat morning bun french toast. I about wanted to stab it out of their mouths. My fried eggs were perfectly fine, but dammmmmmn that sugary bread looked amazing.
I resisted.
I probably over-ate this weekend to compensate, but it was all on-the-list food.

Lunch today is leftover roasted root veggies (beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and yellow taters) and tuna salad with home-made mayo to be served on spinach.

Tonight. There will be. BACON.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: February 01, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
Some observations from the prep yesterday and my first morning:

The mayo I made was delicious on hard boiled eggs this morning :-)  And my cat was absolutely thrilled last night with a little taste of the butter solids I strained from the clarified butter I made.  Coconut coffee is definitely an acquired taste...  And what is up with no chewing gum on this plan???  I had to put away my Trident.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with that?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1033 on: February 01, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
I hear you, Orvell. I had a couple of days like that where I had to stop myself from reaching across the table and plucking something out of someones hand. It does get easier though, and eventually, you'll get a little thrill from having the self-control and mastery of being able to say "no"

One thing I did have to do was tell my family and friends that if I say no, I mean it, and please don't offer it again. I have noticed that people assuage their own guilt at bad eating habits by trying to get you to join them. Or perhaps they are just trying to be nice - but every time you have to make a decision to not eat something it does take a little bit of will power, so by asking again and again if you want "just a taste" it really can impact you.

ZiziPB - yeah straight coconut milk in coffee is an acquired taste. I know you don't want to buy an immersion blender, but I tell you being able to aerate the coffee with a little coconut milk and coconut oil makes it a totally different experience.  Kt is also super handy for making very small amounts of fresh mayo and mayo based salad dressings. Great for mixing up the flavours and keeping it interesting.

RE CHEWING GUM: I think it is because chewing gum stimulates your digestive process and basically keeps it "on" which can be distressing while you are trying to heal and repair. Substitute: Drink water. or mint tea if you want the minty flavour.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: February 01, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
Well, I had zucchini instead of broccoli for dinner last night, but the ghee was superbly tasty on it.  I also found that you can use a lot less ghee and still get great butter flavor.

Taking the gelatin in a banana/almond milk smoothie (half a frozen banana, 10 ounces of almond milk) worked, but I think cold seltzer might work too.

Eggs scrambled in ghee, leftover zucchini and the smoothie for breakfast; Swiss steak, cauliflower and a small apple for lunch; two roasted chicken drumsticks and broccoli for dinner.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1035 on: February 01, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »
I hear you, Orvell. I had a couple of days like that where I had to stop myself from reaching across the table and plucking something out of someones hand. It does get easier though, and eventually, you'll get a little thrill from having the self-control and mastery of being able to say "no"

One thing I did have to do was tell my family and friends that if I say no, I mean it, and please don't offer it again. I have noticed that people assuage their own guilt at bad eating habits by trying to get you to join them. Or perhaps they are just trying to be nice - but every time you have to make a decision to not eat something it does take a little bit of will power, so by asking again and again if you want "just a taste" it really can impact you.

ZiziPB - yeah straight coconut milk in coffee is an acquired taste. I know you don't want to buy an immersion blender, but I tell you being able to aerate the coffee with a little coconut milk and coconut oil makes it a totally different experience.  Kt is also super handy for making very small amounts of fresh mayo and mayo based salad dressings. Great for mixing up the flavours and keeping it interesting.

RE CHEWING GUM: I think it is because chewing gum stimulates your digestive process and basically keeps it "on" which can be distressing while you are trying to heal and repair. Substitute: Drink water. or mint tea if you want the minty flavour.

Thanks Swick!  I used my milk frother for the coconut milk so the texture WAS nice.  But I didn't care for the coconut taste and missed the creaminess of the milk (I normally use 2% milk, no sugar).  Maybe I didn't put enough of it? I used TJ coconut milk from the can.  Should I be adding oil to it too?

One good thing I noticed is that it didn't give me heartburn - I usually have my coffee, go to the gym and eat breakfast after working out.  Most of the time by the end of my workout, I feel a bit of heartburn from the coffee with milk if I have it on an empty stomach.

Oh, and I made the mayo using my hand held mixer.  Very easy.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1036 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »

Thanks Swick!  I used my milk frother for the coconut milk so the texture WAS nice.  But I didn't care for the coconut taste and missed the creaminess of the milk (I normally use 2% milk, no sugar).  Maybe I didn't put enough of it? I used TJ coconut milk from the can.  Should I be adding oil to it too?

One good thing I noticed is that it didn't give me heartburn - I usually have my coffee, go to the gym and eat breakfast after working out.  Most of the time by the end of my workout, I feel a bit of heartburn from the coffee with milk if I have it on an empty stomach.

I find the coconut oil helps with the "creamy" mouthfeel. Also, it helps keep you full fo much longer. It might work if you melted it and did it in your frother. I know that just melted oil in coffee is not appetizing at all!

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1037 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
Hello whole30-ers! Reintroduction is going okay so far, I had some porridge oats this morning for breakfast, and apart from sitting "heavy" in my stomach they didn't cause me any problems and kept me full until lunchtime. I think I prefer eggs for convenience and the way they make me feel, but it's good to know that non-gluten grains might be okay for me.
Had a little piece of chocolate after my evening meal, with some almonds, and to be honest I preferred the almonds! I saved them until last! The chocolate was nice, but I don't think I'll be having any more this week - it's not worth potentially waking the sugar dragon up when it's happily asleep at the moment :-)
Hope everyone else's days are going well - Orvell, good job on resisting the brunch toast, think how much you're learning about your body and your mind's reactions to food. ZiziPB, awesome on the mayo, I still haven't mastered it! Wish I could get mayo without sugar in the shops, but no luck so far.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Hello whole30-ers! Reintroduction is going okay so far, I had some porridge oats this morning for breakfast, and apart from sitting "heavy" in my stomach they didn't cause me any problems and kept me full until lunchtime. I think I prefer eggs for convenience and the way they make me feel, but it's good to know that non-gluten grains might be okay for me.
Had a little piece of chocolate after my evening meal, with some almonds, and to be honest I preferred the almonds! I saved them until last! The chocolate was nice, but I don't think I'll be having any more this week - it's not worth potentially waking the sugar dragon up when it's happily asleep at the moment :-)
Hope everyone else's days are going well - Orvell, good job on resisting the brunch toast, think how much you're learning about your body and your mind's reactions to food. ZiziPB, awesome on the mayo, I still haven't mastered it! Wish I could get mayo without sugar in the shops, but no luck so far.

Nice job on the reintroduction! That's a part of the process I'm a little scared of. Especially that sugar dragon... :)

And yes. That's a great way to frame it re: learning about yourself and food mental catches. :) It's funny how almonds are so prefect a 'treat' replacement. I'm eating some right now for my afternoon snack! :D

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1039 on: February 02, 2016, 04:08:38 AM »

I find the coconut oil helps with the "creamy" mouthfeel. Also, it helps keep you full fo much longer. It might work if you melted it and did it in your frother. I know that just melted oil in coffee is not appetizing at all!
Tried adding a bit of coconut oil to the coconut milk this morning - it works very well in the frother (I just poured in a bit of hot coffee into it to melt and mix it) and does help with the taste.  I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I think I can live with it :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1040 on: February 02, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »
I have actually been doing straight coconut oil with my coffee instead of coconut milk.  I switched over from butter for Whole30 and haven't gone back.  It's an acquired taste if you're used to cream, but IMO, the coconut milk flavor clashed a bit with the coffee (and some brands tasted downright bad).  The straight up fat makes it creamy enough for someone like me who's never been able to learn to enjoy black coffee. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1041 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
I have actually been doing straight coconut oil with my coffee instead of coconut milk.  I switched over from butter for Whole30 and haven't gone back.  It's an acquired taste if you're used to cream, but IMO, the coconut milk flavor clashed a bit with the coffee (and some brands tasted downright bad).  The straight up fat makes it creamy enough for someone like me who's never been able to learn to enjoy black coffee. 

Interesting.  Is coffee with coconut oil more potent than coffee with milk?  I had my usual 2 cups this morning (actually, I usually have 2 and a half cups), ate breakfast and felt all shaky as if I had caffeine overdose.  This never happened to me before after my morning coffee.  Also, my stomach feels quite unsettled. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1042 on: February 02, 2016, 07:43:33 AM »
I do find myself drinking less coffee than I used to.  Still usually two cups but I often don't finish the second one, or drink it over the course of a couple hours.  Not a bad thing!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1043 on: February 02, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »

Interesting.  Is coffee with coconut oil more potent than coffee with milk?  I had my usual 2 cups this morning (actually, I usually have 2 and a half cups), ate breakfast and felt all shaky as if I had caffeine overdose.  This never happened to me before after my morning coffee.  Also, my stomach feels quite unsettled. 

Hey, ZiZiPB - I don't think it is any more potent, I actually lost my desire for coffee completely during my first whole 30. The unsettled tummy might be from other stuff going on, or it could be the coconut oil if you are not used to having any at all. I know if I have coconut oil straight I get queazy. Some people down it my the spoonful, I can't do that!

The cinnamon is a good idea, I usually use a little raw cocoa powder in mine to make it like a mocha.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1044 on: February 02, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »

Hey, ZiZiPB - I don't think it is any more potent, I actually lost my desire for coffee completely during my first whole 30. The unsettled tummy might be from other stuff going on, or it could be the coconut oil if you are not used to having any at all. I know if I have coconut oil straight I get queazy. Some people down it my the spoonful, I can't do that!

The cinnamon is a good idea, I usually use a little raw cocoa powder in mine to make it like a mocha.

You're probably right - my usual diet is pretty low fat.  To be honest, I strongly dislike greasy or fatty food.  So having to eat so much fat makes me feel queasy...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2016, 08:30:55 AM »

Hey, ZiZiPB - I don't think it is any more potent, I actually lost my desire for coffee completely during my first whole 30. The unsettled tummy might be from other stuff going on, or it could be the coconut oil if you are not used to having any at all. I know if I have coconut oil straight I get queazy. Some people down it my the spoonful, I c mocha.

You're probably right - my usual diet is pretty low fat.  To be honest, I strongly dislike greasy or fatty food.  So having to eat so much fat makes me feel queasy...

Start slow and give yourself time to adjust. Good fats are super important during whole 30 because you will probably find yourself going into Keto. You need the fat as fuel. Maybe you only use 1/2 a tsp at a time until you adjust to it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1046 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Start slow and give yourself time to adjust. Good fats are super important during whole 30 because you will probably find yourself going into Keto. You need the fat as fuel. Maybe you only use 1/2 a tsp at a time until you adjust to it.

I hope I can adjust.  To be honest, I'm not feeling well at all this morning.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1047 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »

I hope I can adjust.  To be honest, I'm not feeling well at all this morning.

Which day are you on, ZiziPB?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
Day 2 only.  Feeling like I'm having low blood sugar/too much caffeine type episode.  Is that normal?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
Day 2 only.  Feeling like I'm having low blood sugar/too much caffeine type episode.  Is that normal?
:( I'm sorry you aren't feeling well.
For what it's worth, I had that weird head-fuzz feeling the first few days, too. It reminded me of how I felt when fasting; it probably IS your blood sugar having a party. For me, it balanced out.
Drink lots of water and be kind to yourself. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!