Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018  (Read 66456 times)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:21 AM »
I'm planning on doing some live feed videos during my prep for going to DC. What would be most likely to land in your particular media world? facebook?  instagram?  youtube?

For me, Youtube.

Thanks Carolina!

For me Facebook or Youtube, but I feel many young people are more into Instagram nowadays. I guess you could do some things with all 3 mediums depending on how active you want to be and how much you want to share. Longer vids def Youtube, but I don't browse Youtube as much so to reach me Facebook will be most succesful.

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
Hi! I've been eating whole foods plant based (95% ore more vegan) for the last 3 years.
I wanted to share my story, since it is a little different from others that I have read.
I have been eating whole foods for all my life, meaning very very little processed foods.
In my childhood I didn't have access to junk food since that food was all imported and much more expensive than cooked foods, and when my parents became wealthy enough to afford junk food, the news about it being damaging to health was everywhere.
So I was raised an omnivorous diet with almost no junk food. When I was 15, my mother, who was about 20 pounds overweight decided to go low carb - back then this was the only diet that focused on lifestyle. It worked for her for a short time, and she cooked all the food this way. I was convinced by the arguments of the diet and so I embraced a high fat diet (15 eggs/week, lots of meat and dairy, some vegetables and no fruit) - a recipe for disaster. I am now convinced that these inflammatory foods were an important factor in my skin problems.
I developed seborrheic dermatitis on my face and the doctor told me that there is absolutely nothing I can do to treat it.
I became convinced that food makes it worse or better, but I was only able to identify coffee and spicy foods as triggers.
I continued to eat this way and when I was 21 I met my now DH. At the time I met him, my arms were covered in seb derm patches and I was embarrassed.
My husband was horrified by the amount of fat I was eating and after we got married I slowly switched to a whole foods omnivorous lowish fat (lean chicken/fish, boiled rice, steamed veggies and a little dairy was a typical lunch).
My skin got better, but I still had problems (sometimes really big ones) with seborrheic derm on my face.
Three years ago, after a really big episode of seb derm right after Christmas - when I knew I ate a lot of fatty foods, I started to research the internet.
I found the WFPB vegan diet as a possible answer and then found Dr Greger, and then Forks over knives, and after that there was no turning back.
It was really important that I found a lot of sexy women on social media that ate vegan, so I was convinced I would not become overweight.
The change in my skin, energy and overall health was immediate, but the great fact is that all the benefits are increasing with time.

So, I have heard a lot of arguments that the WFPB vegan diet only works because the SAD diet is so horrible.
I never was on the SAD diet, went long time on all major health trends (omnivorous classic, low carb high fat, low fat diet, WFPB low fat vegan) and I experienced a lot health benefits of WFPB, including clear skin.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2018, 01:50:28 PM »
Hi! I've been eating whole foods plant based (95% ore more vegan) for the last 3 years.
I wanted to share my story, since it is a little different from others that I have read.
I have been eating whole foods for all my life, meaning very very little processed foods.
In my childhood I didn't have access to junk food since that food was all imported and much more expensive than cooked foods, and when my parents became wealthy enough to afford junk food, the news about it being damaging to health was everywhere.
So I was raised an omnivorous diet with almost no junk food. When I was 15, my mother, who was about 20 pounds overweight decided to go low carb - back then this was the only diet that focused on lifestyle. It worked for her for a short time, and she cooked all the food this way. I was convinced by the arguments of the diet and so I embraced a high fat diet (15 eggs/week, lots of meat and dairy, some vegetables and no fruit) - a recipe for disaster. I am now convinced that these inflammatory foods were an important factor in my skin problems.
I developed seborrheic dermatitis on my face and the doctor told me that there is absolutely nothing I can do to treat it.
I became convinced that food makes it worse or better, but I was only able to identify coffee and spicy foods as triggers.
I continued to eat this way and when I was 21 I met my now DH. At the time I met him, my arms were covered in seb derm patches and I was embarrassed.
My husband was horrified by the amount of fat I was eating and after we got married I slowly switched to a whole foods omnivorous lowish fat (lean chicken/fish, boiled rice, steamed veggies and a little dairy was a typical lunch).
My skin got better, but I still had problems (sometimes really big ones) with seborrheic derm on my face.
Three years ago, after a really big episode of seb derm right after Christmas - when I knew I ate a lot of fatty foods, I started to research the internet.
I found the WFPB vegan diet as a possible answer and then found Dr Greger, and then Forks over knives, and after that there was no turning back.
It was really important that I found a lot of sexy women on social media that ate vegan, so I was convinced I would not become overweight.
The change in my skin, energy and overall health was immediate, but the great fact is that all the benefits are increasing with time.

So, I have heard a lot of arguments that the WFPB vegan diet only works because the SAD diet is so horrible.
I never was on the SAD diet, went long time on all major health trends (omnivorous classic, low carb high fat, low fat diet, WFPB low fat vegan) and I experienced a lot health benefits of WFPB, including clear skin.

Wow Clookie. Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Yeah - I've come across lots of people whose skin problems cleared up after cutting out animal products and going WFPB.

I especially liked this part of your story though:

:).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #353 on: November 27, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
Just put this lentil loaf in the oven. The bowl that contained the glaze topping? Yeah, I licked it clean before rinsing it and loading it into the dishwasher.

We'll see how it goes...

https://simple-veganista.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
Well, I was going to a Christmas potluck and had decided to make cranberry-orange relish; while it turned out amazing, I didn’t think it was enough to take as a food item. It’s more of a condiment!

So I struggled thinking about what to take, but I had so many sweet potatoes in my pantry- they were $.39 per lb last week! So I found a recipe online for whipped sweet potatoes and it was vegan!

5 ingredients is just my speed, check it out:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-mashed-sweet-potatoes/

I thought they were fantastic, and I got so many compliments!

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
I always hear people say eating healthy is too expensive, so I thought I would share something I found recently - produce bargain deals at Sav a Lot. I don’t usually shop there, but they built one in my town (I was so sad it wasn’t an Aldi!), and now I get flyers for them weekly. And I see produce prices that are unheard of!

Today .99 blackberries, 99 cents/lb green beans, 1.89 for 5 lb potatoes, and the tour de force, a 3 pack of bell peppers for 1.79 (no green ones)-usually these things are priced like they’re made of gold!

Anyhow, I just roasted the peppers and will combine with a can of crushed tomatoes, a garlic clove and a little brown sugar. Blend, heat, and delicious!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2018, 06:27:43 PM »
I always hear people say eating healthy is too expensive, so I thought I would share something I found recently - produce bargain deals at Sav a Lot. I don’t usually shop there, but they built one in my town (I was so sad it wasn’t an Aldi!), and now I get flyers for them weekly. And I see produce prices that are unheard of!

Today .99 blackberries, 99 cents/lb green beans, 1.89 for 5 lb potatoes, and the tour de force, a 3 pack of bell peppers for 1.79 (no green ones)-usually these things are priced like they’re made of gold!

Anyhow, I just roasted the peppers and will combine with a can of crushed tomatoes, a garlic clove and a little brown sugar. Blend, heat, and delicious!

I still haven't made your mashed potatoes yet but it's bookmarked, and I'm looking forward to them. And yeah - it can be such an eye roller to hear, "but eating just plants is so expensive." Sure, avocados and out of season fruits are expensive. But canned beans, rice and in-season on-sale veggies and fruits are cheap! It sounds like you found a place that sells them especially cheap. That's great.

Don't you just love eating this way?  I wish I'd known about it back when I was a teen and gaining weight thinking that *more yogurt* would help. SMH.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #357 on: December 22, 2018, 02:06:10 AM »
for all you WFPD peeps - what do you think of this write up in Newsgrowl of me and my lobby campaign to end animal ag subsidies?

https://newsgrowl.com/laura-reese-lobbyists4good-interview/

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: December 25, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
This Spanish rice and chickpeas dish is now part of my regular weekly rotation. I add a little bit less oil than the recipe recommends. I also use thawed chickpeas that I’ve cooked ahead of time in bulk and frozen instead of using canned ones. I keep my pantry stocked with canned diced tomatoes and jars of artichoke hearts from Walmart because they are cheaper there. This recipe is super easy.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/rice-cooker-spanish-chickpeas-and-rice/

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
for all you WFPD peeps - what do you think of this write up in Newsgrowl of me and my lobby campaign to end animal ag subsidies?

M41, this is fantastic!  I'm so impressed. 

BTW, I live in the DC area.  If you need anything when you're here, feel free to holler!  :)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
Hi, all -- I hosted a very successful vegan Christmas Eve dinner this year!  I relied heavily on the America's Test Kitchen vegan cookbook for entree and desserts.  Here's the menu:

Appetizer:  sweet potato-cashew dip with crackers

Dinner:  shepherd's pie, green beans, cranberry sauce

Dessert:  apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, raspberry streusel bars

I made everything except the pie.  My mom makes an amazing apple pie, and she very thoughtfully left the butter out of the apple filling, which made it vegan.  Oh, and I served storebought "veggnog" instead of our traditional family recipe, and everyone loved it! 

Hope everyone here has had a great holiday season, and I wish everyone a happy, plant-based new year!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #361 on: January 01, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »

M41, this is fantastic!  I'm so impressed. 

BTW, I live in the DC area.  If you need anything when you're here, feel free to holler!  :)

Thanks CarolinaOMM, I've messaged you. I'm couchsurfing in the DC area. My first 9 days will be with an economist who lives 15 min by bus from the capital building so that's cool. But I need a few more nights on someone's couch (or spare bed) after that.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #362 on: January 02, 2019, 12:59:13 AM »
Carolina On My Mind nudged me to start a new challenge for 2019. So ... here it is!

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/go-whole-food-plant-based-(wfpb)-in-2019