Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018  (Read 66470 times)

Drole

• Stubble
Re: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2018, 08:00:39 AM »
I also noticed that the regular tomato paste has the exact same amount of sodium as the no salt version and that is just a lie. If my mouth starts feeling dry after eating something then I know it has salt in it Also my BP will start going up. FYI you can buy sodium free baking powder and even baking soda. I just have not tried making anything preferring to avoid fattening baked goods. But I will probably bake myself something to avoid feeling deprived:)

Re salt.  Na Cl lsted on the labels.  KCl used as "off label" salt.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: September 28, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
I was also wondering whether anyone has made black bean brownies. I was thinking of using xylitol for the sugar and avacado for the fat. I will no longer ingest cane sugar. It is part of the White Death trio (salt, white flour and cane sugar).

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread there's a recipe for black bean brownies from chocolate covered Katie (if I remember her website correctly). I've really enjoyed those but not sure anymore on my sweetness source. I'm not a real vegan just here for inspiration so I might've used honey or otherwise just regular sugar (mostly sugar beet derived in my country).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #302 on: September 28, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
Malaysia41 I just signed up at challenge22.com! I hit a couple roadblocks this weekend, and I had some failures.  I did alert me to what I need to have around to make sure I'm successful.  Almost every weekend for the past several years, at least one frozen pizza is consumed.  So I just need to get the Amy's cheeseless, which I've had before.  I also need some fast vegan individual sweets.  Like fun-size candy bars, or vegan chocolate chips.  Other than those two roadblocks this weekend, it's going pretty well.

<3 <3 <3 <3 !!!

@AmandaPanda - how did challenge22 go ?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #303 on: September 28, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
I was also wondering whether anyone has made black bean brownies. I was thinking of using xylitol for the sugar and avacado for the fat. I will no longer ingest cane sugar. It is part of the White Death trio (salt, white flour and cane sugar).

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread there's a recipe for black bean brownies from chocolate covered Katie (if I remember her website correctly). I've really enjoyed those but not sure anymore on my sweetness source. I'm not a real vegan just here for inspiration so I might've used honey or otherwise just regular sugar (mostly sugar beet derived in my country).

Those choc covered Katie black bean brownies are delicious, but it calls for sugar. You could sub maple syrup and/or medjool dates I would guess, but I haven’t tried it.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »

Those choc covered Katie black bean brownies are delicious, but it calls for sugar. You could sub maple syrup and/or medjool dates I would guess, but I haven’t tried it.

Yes if I recall the recipe correctly she also suggests quite a variety of sugar-sources so you can play around a bit. Also depends on how sweet you'd like them to be - I feel like you could use a little less sugar than the recipe calls for.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #305 on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
That's great, Malaysia!  Glad you continue to enjoy them. :)

For the folks who need no/low salt - it is worth noting that Straight Up Food doesn't use salt in any recipes.  And she is so good with spices you don't miss it.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »

Yes if I recall the recipe correctly she also suggests quite a variety of sugar-sources so you can play around a bit. Also depends on how sweet you'd like them to be - I feel like you could use a little less sugar than the recipe calls for.

Her black bean brownie recipe uses maple syrup/honey/or agave (you pick) while her chickpea peanut butter blondies recipe (my personal fav, might make more today...) calls for actual brown sugar. I double the recipe to make a 13x9 pan but reduce the sugar by about 1/4 cup...I tell myself that the remaining sugar is somewhat offset by all that protein and fiber from the chickpeas. Maybe I'll try eliminating even more sugar and adding in some dates.

brownies: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
blondies: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/

:)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2018, 03:24:16 AM »
Made lentil shepherd's pie again. I think the trick is adding herbs di provance 3 times - early on boiling the lentils, mid-boil, and at the end of cooking the lentils. Also, absolutely MUST use mushrooms. So good.

Multiple servings are in the freezer for future evenings when we don't wanna cook,  and this'll be dinner for two nights in a row.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
Made lentil shepherd's pie again. I think the trick is adding herbs di provance 3 times - early on boiling the lentils, mid-boil, and at the end of cooking the lentils. Also, absolutely MUST use mushrooms. So good.

Multiple servings are in the freezer for future evenings when we don't wanna cook,  and this'll be dinner for two nights in a row.

@Malaysia41 Do you have a recipe for this? I'd love to try it. We had lentil and spinach stew for dinner last night. This seems more like comfort food to me and might go over better with my FIL who lives with us.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
yeah - total comfort food.

I loosely followed this one: https://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-shepherds-pie/
and
this one
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/seriously-the-best-lentil-shepherds-pie/

let us know how it goes!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »

I loosely followed this one: https://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-shepherds-pie/
and
this one

let us know how it goes!
Thank you so much, I'll try to make it next week.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
Hey everybody, just butting in here.  Not WFBP, but whole food vegetable-heavy omnivorous.  I'm always open to more ways to eat even more vegetables, so hopefully this thread will have some to offer.
Not black beans, but I've used sweet potato; here's a recipe I like:
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
2 large eggs (I know dried mushrooms can work well in this kind of thing as an egg substitute to make it actually WFBP-compliant, might even be able to get away with just adding a little more sweet potato)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons coconut flour

A lobbyist in DC has taken on my campaign to lobby Congress to end all federal subsidies for animal agriculture!   Check it out! 

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

I submitted this campaign on a lark and it got accepted! 

What do you think?
Personally, I think the biggest issue in that realm is corn subsidies, most of which turns into subsidizing CAFO animal feed or high-fructose corn syrup, neither of which does anyone any good.  Part of the consequences would be essentially a meat/sugar tax, but a much more direct "tax" than subsidizing it and then taxing it after the fact (which is just silly, pick a side).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2018, 09:38:09 AM »
Personally, I think the biggest issue in that realm is corn subsidies, most of which turns into subsidizing CAFO animal feed or high-fructose corn syrup, neither of which does anyone any good.  Part of the consequences would be essentially a meat/sugar tax, but a much more direct "tax" than subsidizing it and then taxing it after the fact (which is just silly, pick a side).

Hey ketchup - yeah the lobbying campaign is to end subsidies to food grown for animal feed too. It's all part of the same package. So that would mean ending corn and soy subsides for those products that sell as feed for livestock consumption. We are of the same mind on that. I would love if we did a meat and HFCS/refined food tax too. Would you still be comfortable being called ketchup when it's so full of sugar/hfcs? /s

Yeah, the amount of food that is grown for livestock is staggering. And then you realize all the minerals and protein we think we need to get from animals - it all came from plants. So you could, uh, just eat the plant. Why filter them through animal muscle when it comes with all that baggage like saturated fats and cholesterol?

sweet potato brownies???

So do you mind sharing - what has led you to your current whole food plant heavy diet?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:39:44 AM by Malaysia41 »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
Would you still be comfortable being called ketchup when it's so full of sugar/hfcs? /s
The great irony of my handle is that used to consume copious amounts of ketchup, and now that's been brought down to very little.
sweet potato brownies???
I was surprised too.  I haven't actually made them in a few years, but they are great.  Very moist.
So do you mind sharing - what has led you to your current whole food plant heavy diet?
Welp, partially stolen from a different thread I told this in:

I grew up eating starch, peanut butter, and fat-free dairy (seriously, 95% of what I ate was cereal, skim milk, peanut butter, bread, pasta, and ketchup; 95% might be a *low* estimate) until age 20~21.  I was incredibly stubborn about food and nutritionally very apathetic, and didn't broaden my horizons *at all* until moving in with my girlfriend. 

GF grew up in an *interesting* household.  Her mom had/has extreme narcissism, and actively tried to basically get her daughters to gain weight as teenagers so that she would always be more attractive than them (it sounds fucked because it is; I didn't quite believe it until I met the woman).  This meant tons of soda/candy/cookies/muffins/cupcakes lying around the house ALL THE TIME, and CONSTANTLY PUSHED ON HER and her sisters EVERY DAY.  She ate some real food, but supplemented with mountains of normalized garbage.  This led to her gaining weight in her teens.

After moving in together, she (slowly) introduced me to cooking and actual food, I read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, found Mark Sisson's blog, other similar resources, and basically fell into that mindset of health and learned a lot while still not quite eating that way.  At some point, I tried to do a grain-free month just to see how it would go (since Mark Sisson in particular is so flamboyantly anti-grains), but since I was the only member of the household doing it, that basically just lead to me eating way less, and turned my then-skinnyfat self into just plain skinny (152 at my lowest, and I'm a 5'11 dude).  GF flipped out and basically said to stop that before I wither away into nothing.  Peanut butter sandwiches and ketchup-pasta returned, supplementing our real food plus some junk.

Then GF started learning about the same sort of nutritional things, kickstarted from wanting to improve her skin with weight loss as secondary, and we pretty much hard switched over to 100% low-carb paleo in September 2013.  We also bought a squat rack and a barbell and started lifting.

She yo-yo'd a bit on weight (it not being her focus) with the trend being downwards , but then decided to focus on it, and since September of last year has so far lost 74lbs.  To that end she started guestimating calories with a defined cap, striving to eat less while maintaining nutrient density, 18:6 intermittent fasting (broken somewhat when traveling for work, but still pretty close), 10k steps/day no matter what, HIIT 1-2x/week, and a return to lifting 3x/week (she fell off the wagon with that after about a year of paleo).  Based on weight loss, she's been at about an average 650 calorie daily deficit over the past 398 days.

Personally, I feel way better on low-carb paleo (now that I'm actually eating nutrients and not just taking a multivitamin and pretending that's enough), and was eventually able to put on some of the good kind of weight (and a bit of the bad; hope to shed that this year).  I'm definitely in the don't-care-when-I-eat-during-the-day stage now.  It's incredibly convenient.  I don't intermittent fast specifically, but I wind up in that pattern sometimes.

These days, we basically eat vegetable-heavy low-carb paleo.  Right now, she's pretty much straight keto with rough macros tracking and pretty defined calorie/activity goals.  This was after her weight loss stalling about two months ago (at 63lbs down), and then a week-long protein-sparing modified fast about a month ago, kicking her back up to speed, and transitioned to keto after that.  Since starting the PSMF, she's down another 11lbs. 

What do we actually eat these days?  Giant salads and tons of roasted/sauteed vegetables (sometimes I'll literally eat 2lbs of roasted broccoli out of the toaster oven at work) with an emphasis on greens, crucifers, and colors, healthy fats, and yes, meat, fish and eggs.  A little fruit, mostly berries or bananas.  Oatmeal when we're feeling indulgent (typically an hour preworkout for stuff like that).  I know our dietary ethos is not 100% compatible with most in this thread, and that's fine; I'm not looking to debate that.  We probably eat a lot less meat than most "paleo" or "keto" folks, as many seem to think it means an all you can get bacon and butter buffet and that you need a billion grams of protein per day.

Fun fact: GF used to have cavities all the time as a kid.  I don't know how many she had total, but she mentioned a time that she had nine *new* cavities at a dentist visit.  She chalked it up to "bad teeth" or "bad genetics."  Since moving away from family in 2012, she didn't see a dentist until sometime in November of 2017.  When she finally went to the dentist, she braced herself for typical very bad news.  Instead, they said no new cavities, and they "barely had to do much of a cleaning."  She was shocked.  That's what years of no-soda and minimal sugar will do after a lifetime of tons of soda/sugar.  It makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:17:19 PM by ketchup »

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Hi, all!  I am late to the party here, but I came across this challenge yesterday while looking for something else in the forums. 

I decided to go vegan a month or so ago.  I'm still in the learning-and-getting-organized stage (just got back from a two-week vacation, hence the slow start), and I'm really excited about the change.  Thanks to all of you for your insights and advice -- this whole thread is so helpful!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Hi, all!  I am late to the party here, but I came across this challenge yesterday while looking for something else in the forums. 

I decided to go vegan a month or so ago.  I'm still in the learning-and-getting-organized stage (just got back from a two-week vacation, hence the slow start), and I'm really excited about the change.  Thanks to all of you for your insights and advice -- this whole thread is so helpful!

Hey CoMM - welcome!

If you want extra support in this transition phase, you can sign up at challenge22 - they'll put you in a group where you get daily support from veteran WFPB/veganers and certified dietitians as well.

I mean, we're pretty good here too - but challenge22 is a little more prompt and regular.

And I'm happy to have you here for joining the challenge. Better late than never!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2018, 08:30:45 PM »
I'm going to do a vegan (and healthy) diet for the next two weeks and aim for it to be as much WFPB as possible. My diet is completely vegetarian  at the moment. Any support is appreciated. Is it OK if I diaried here?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Welcome rpr! Feel free to diary here, especially if that means you'll share some recipes :)

I've been eating vegan curries for lunch at work the whole week and they were all delicious :) :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Just made this stew yesterday. Someone recommended it on another thread and it's quite tasty  (although I did some modifications and did not use eggplant)

https://deliciouslyella.com/2015/09/26/sweet-potato-and-chickpea-stew/

Today making this, which I've made before and they are delicious..can also just be served on quinoa vs. tacos
https://www.veganricha.com/2017/01/pinto-bean-fajitas-with-cilantro-chile-lime-marinade.html

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »
@Hirondelle -- Thanks for the welcome. I have been a vegan in the past. When I'm by myself, I always (mostly) cook completely plant based. My partner is a lacto-ovo vegetarian but unable to wean away from eggs, cheese :( Have tried my best.

I will try to post recipes but must admit I'm somewhat of a lazy ass person when it comes to cooking. I enjoy it but it had better be done under 30 mins :) So the instant pot comes to my rescue. Most if my recipes pretty much involve saute'ing a little in the IP and then letting the pressure do its work. I like making large batches and don't mind eating the similar item. I usually tend to make largeish batches of lentils/beans soups/stews and then varying the side starch.

@Serendip -- thanks for the links to the recipes. I will see if the IP works on the sweet potato stew recipe. That and the fajitas look yummy. Maybe over the weekend.

Yesterday 10/08/18:
Breakfast -- Soy milk, coffee and fruit.
Lunch -- Green papaya salad from the farmers market (not homemade and delicious)
Dinner -- I made a simple chick pea dish called a Sundal which is traditionally eaten during the festival called Navaratri (ongoing now). This dish comes from the southern part of India. Here is a link to one of the recipes:

https://www.padhuskitchen.com/2010/08/chickpeas-sundal-recipe-how-to-make.html.

While it looks like it has  some exotic ingredients, many of which I don't have, I improvised. Nevertheless, it was quite yummy. For example, I just added the juice from half a lemon for some added tartness, which I love.

Indian cooking especially from the south is vegetarian and can be made vegan if you leave out the ghee and milk. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
I still haven't made the lentil shepards pie yet, but plan to do it next week. This week we mostly vegetarian and even one night of full vegan. Made kale salad, split pea soup with vegetable broth and planning bean soup tonight also using vegetable broth. Last night was only vegetarian because we did use some ricotta cheese for zucchini rollitini which is basically vegetable lasagna rolls. We're just happy to be making progress towards WFPD.

albijaji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
i have been reading this thread for a few days now.. all the recipes links are fantastic
I am a  vegetarian (since i still eat eggs, from chickens that live in my backyard i might add)
My only real problem here is that i dont know what to do with tofu? i know i should but i cannot make it work :o)
 i read somewhere that if you freeze it
and then thaw it has a nicer texture after pressing
can anyone confirm that its true, and then what?
i am trying some of the recipes the next weeks, problem is we are moving and everything is in total disarray so not that much cooking for the next couple of weeks ..

also (the real reason i am posting, cause i have not that much to share otherwise)
there is a new movie out from the guys who did 'what the health'
its quite amazing

running for good

its about a vegan runner who also has a animal sanctuary
she is amazing, and i am not an athlete by any stretch/or interested in sports documentaries
i am half way through the movie and find it engaging and inspiring..

best part it streams free until the 14th

https://runningforgoodfilm.com/about1

We are super excited to announce the release of our latest film Running For Good about vegan marathoner, Fiona Oakes!  We are making the film available for FREE streaming for the first 4 days (October 11th-14th) exclusively on www.RunningForGoodFilm.com

Executive Produced by actor/activist, James Cromwell, and directed by award-winning filmmaker, Keegan Kuhn (Cowspiracy & What the Health), comes RUNNING FOR GOOD, the feature-length sports documentary narrated by Rich Roll (Finding Ultra), following world-record marathon runner, Fiona Oakes, in her attempt not only to set a new global record in endurance racing, but to compete in the, "Toughest footrace on earth," the Marathon Des Sables, a 250km race through the Sahara Desert.
“Exhilarating, empowering, exciting to watch how this big-hearted woman turned near-disability into total triumph, from pole to pole”
— Ingrid Newkirk, President of PETA
“I was deeply moved by this awe-inspiring story of how a woman has overcome a disability that would put most people in a wheelchair, to become a world record breaking ultra-marathon runner, fueled by a plant-based diet.”
— John Robbins, best-selling author

The film is now also available for download purchase, DVD and theatrical screenings at www.RunningForGoodFilm.com

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: October 12, 2018, 12:40:44 AM »
@albijaji -- thanks for sharing. I will try to watch.

Today I was also able to stay completely plant based.

10/11/2018:
Breakfast: Coffee with Soy Milk + Oats with nuts and fruit
Lunch: Leftover from yesterday's dinner
Afternoon snack: Apple
Dinner: Grilled Potato panini sandwich. Just microwave a medium sided potato. Mash it and add some spices such as cumin, cayenne, seasonings etc. Use this as a stuffing for a panini sandwich. Had a cucumber and tomato on the side. Starchy and filling. Mostly healthy, I think. 

Day 2 is in the books.

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
My only real problem here is that i dont know what to do with tofu? i know i should but i cannot make it work :o)

I can tell you what I've done with tofu, which is to cut it into cubes and saute it in a bit of oil until it's slightly browned.  Basically just heat up the oil, throw in the tofu cubes, and cook over medium heat and stir/turn them around every few minutes until a few sides of each cube are a nice golden brown.  It takes maybe ten minutes.  I don't use nonstick pans much but I do use one for this purpose.  I never remember to press the tofu beforehand, and I also never remember to sprinkle it with salt as it browns, although in a perfect world I would do both of those things.  :)

One of my go-to dishes is a Thai green curry with broccoli, shredded carrots, and tofu.  Sometimes I brown the tofu first and sometimes I can't be bothered and just throw it into the curry straight out of the package.  It's good either way, but the taste and texture are definitely better with the browning.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
And another thing is to marinade the tofu. I usually just make a spicy mix and just leave it in the fridge overnight. It is a yummy and spicy snack. 😋 🌶

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »

I can tell you what I've done with tofu, which is to cut it into cubes and saute it in a bit of oil until it's slightly browned.  Basically just heat up the oil, throw in the tofu cubes, and cook over medium heat and stir/turn them around every few minutes until a few sides of each cube are a nice golden brown.  It takes maybe ten minutes.  I don't use nonstick pans much but I do use one for this purpose.  I never remember to press the tofu beforehand, and I also never remember to sprinkle it with salt as it browns, although in a perfect world I would do both of those things.  :)

One of my go-to dishes is a Thai green curry with broccoli, shredded carrots, and tofu.  Sometimes I brown the tofu first and sometimes I can't be bothered and just throw it into the curry straight out of the package.  It's good either way, but the taste and texture are definitely better with the browning.

This is an easy way: https://youtu.be/cZzMFTmZjlg

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
I'm making this tonight - to top a chocolate cake and a banana cake I made for my son's birthday party tomorrow. I sure hope it tastes good. Wanna impress the carnistas.

https://detoxinista.com/vegan-cream-cheese-frosting-nut-soy-free/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:13:44 PM by Malaysia41 »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »

Thanks for this link. I'm going to try this.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: October 13, 2018, 01:57:39 AM »
Thanks for the tofu-link! I'm heading to the Asian store right now so will stock up on some and try this. I use tofu in curries but hadn't found a way yet to cook it nicely enough to eat independently of the curry.

I have an Asian food party today (Mongolian, so LOTS of meat) so I'll be trying to make vegan tipat cantok, one of my favorite dishes from Bali.
(the recipe calls for shrimp paste, but I'll just leave that out and use sth else)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

Thanks!  Definitely going to try that method next time.  Her video reminded me to blow the dust off a favorite cookbook that I haven't used in a while -- Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen.  He has a few glazed tofu recipes that I haven't made in ages, similar to what the woman in the video did.

Speaking of tofu, I made a respectable dinner last night.  I sauteed tofu cubes as described earlier, then separately sauteed a handful of shredded carrots and a big pile of arugula.  Piled everything on some brown rice, then sprinkled with coconut aminos (soy sauce replacement, a staple of my former paleo days) and toasted sesame oil.  Lastly, shook on some Japanese nori-and-sesame-seed seasoning.  Not half bad.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: October 13, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »
I fell off the completely plant based wagon during dinner yesterday. It was a big milestone day, somewhat depressed so emotional eating took over.

Friday:
Breakfast: Soy Milk/Coffee and Rolled Oats + frozen berries + nuts
Lunch: 2 Whole wheat wraps with hummus, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, cilantro/mint. Extremely filling. All good so far.
Dinner: The wheels came off. Went out to eat. Start with 1 beer, creamy red bell pepper soup, side of bread, 9" vegetarian pizza, plus beer #2. Finished all of it. Too full.

Need to get back on.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: October 13, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
Finally felt like the first day of fall in Florida today, so I made this:
https://detoxinista.com/vegan-tuscan-pumpkin-pasta-sauce/

Turned out great!! I put it on rigatoni with sautéed mushrooms and vegan ‘parmesean’ on top.

I’ve been eating more WFPB than ever, even the local ice cream shop in my historic town had coconut milk ice cream tonight! I really like eating this way and feel great.

I’ve been pescatarian over 10 years so mainly vegetarian all that time, so this has not been much of a change. Not as much as when I first went peascatarian all those years ago (and for my family- I am Mom). So I really feel for you all that are just now making the change, I know it takes time and adjustment. You can make it work!!

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »

and
this one

let us know how it goes!

I made a vegan shepherd's pie this weekend. I worked off a regular recipe and replaced the non-vegan stuff with vegan alternatives. I had to find a vegan Worcestershire sauce - the brand is Annie's organic. I used oil instead of butter and Beyond Meat's beefless crumbles instead of dead animal flesh. Since I kind of winged it I had too much filling and not enough potato so I made a note for next time. Very tasty.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
@Malaysia41  Finally made the shepards pie last night, it was yummy. I think we'll tweak it a bit for next time. I think it would be good with more peas, but it was definitely well received by the picky FIL so it will stay in the mix. Tonight we are having pasta and tomorrow night it's asparagus soup. I'm thankful to have this thread to keep the motivation going.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
Just had an amazing dinner with my SO--rice w/dal (heavy on the coriander seed) with roasted cumin cauliflower & tahini/garlic sauce on top.
I just love the simplicity of vegan meals.

Today, I made a slow-booker full of aromatics & black-beans..will make some cilantro/lime sauce tomorrow to eat with these, avocado & corn tortillas.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:18 AM »
@sisto and @Yankuba - nice on the shepherd's pie. Yep, each time I make it is an improvement over the previous iterations.

Here's how my son's cake turned out:

It's vegan chocolate cake: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16779/vegan-chocolate-cake/
and
sweet potato 'cream cheese' frosting: https://detoxinista.com/vegan-cream-cheese-frosting-nut-soy-free/

Exceeded my expectations.

I also made a 'throw-whatever-I-want-in' banana cake that I then covered with the frosting too. It was super good *and* super healthy:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:01:06 AM by Malaysia41 »

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
@sisto and @Yankuba - nice on the shepherd's pie. Yep, each time I make it is an improvement over the previous iterations.

Here's how my son's cake turned out:

It's vegan chocolate cake: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16779/vegan-chocolate-cake/
and
sweet potato 'cream cheese' frosting: https://detoxinista.com/vegan-cream-cheese-frosting-nut-soy-free/

Exceeded my expectations.

I also made a 'throw-whatever-I-want-in' banana cake that I then covered with the frosting too. It was super good *and* super healthy:

The cake looks great! I might give it a try. I also need to be GF too which is sometimes hard.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
Ah thanks for sharing..will try that Mac & Cheese recipe sometime this fall! @allsummerlong

Here is another recipe that I've had good success with, can't remember if I've shared before
..obviously no need to add the cheese but I would recommend lightly sauteeing the veggies/onion that go inside.
The chipotle beans are delish
https://www.budgetbytes.com/enfrijoladas-tortillas-in-black-bean-sauce/

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »
Ah thanks for sharing..will try that Mac & Cheese recipe sometime this fall! @allsummerlong

Here is another recipe that I've had good success with, can't remember if I've shared before
..obviously no need to add the cheese but I would recommend lightly sauteeing the veggies/onion that go inside.
The chipotle beans are delish
https://www.budgetbytes.com/enfrijoladas-tortillas-in-black-bean-sauce/
I was just thinking about making some black bean soup, I might try this instead. THANKS!

SupersavingMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
It’s just occurred to me that people reading here might be interested in a food writer, campaigner, and all round recipe guru by the name of Jack Monroe.  UK readers may be familiar with her...internationally, perhaps not so much.  Anyway, she had a really tough few years skating between the abject poverty and mere destitution that comes with sometimes having to deal with single motherhood, job losses, benefit claiming and all that is painful on the wallet.  She coped by utilising her skills into producing the most budget friendly of recipes using the most basic of ingredients.  Things are much better for her now, but she is still heavily involved in budget cooking and promoting skills in the kitchen.  She has become a vegan.  Most of her new recipes are vegan, or vegan adapted and she is veganising some of her ‘back catalogue’.

Google ‘A Girl Called  Jack’ or ‘Bootstrap Cook’ for her blog/recipe pages etc.  I can vouch for the Peanut Butter and Jam cookies, there is nothing she can’t do with a cheap tin of beans, and her background of Greek, British, Irish mix plus her curiosity and knowledge has lead to some great recipes to try.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
It’s just occurred to me that people reading here might be interested in a food writer, campaigner, and all round recipe guru by the name of Jack Monroe.  UK readers may be familiar with her...internationally, perhaps not so much.  Anyway, she had a really tough few years skating between the abject poverty and mere destitution that comes with sometimes having to deal with single motherhood, job losses, benefit claiming and all that is painful on the wallet.  She coped by utilising her skills into producing the most budget friendly of recipes using the most basic of ingredients.  Things are much better for her now, but she is still heavily involved in budget cooking and promoting skills in the kitchen.  She has become a vegan.  Most of her new recipes are vegan, or vegan adapted and she is veganising some of her ‘back catalogue’.

Google ‘A Girl Called  Jack’ or ‘Bootstrap Cook’ for her blog/recipe pages etc.  I can vouch for the Peanut Butter and Jam cookies, there is nothing she can’t do with a cheap tin of beans, and her background of Greek, British, Irish mix plus her curiosity and knowledge has lead to some great recipes to try.

I'm intrigued. Thanks SupersavingMMM.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #341 on: October 23, 2018, 01:18:17 AM »
I woke up this morning to discover that my crowdfund campaign to end US federal subsidies for animal agriculture shot up from $2500 to $4536 overnight! We are 90% funded to hire a lobbyist for a month.

It looks like this kid may be going to DC to couch surf and do some outreach on our reps! We've got ten days to raise the remaining $464. I can hardly believe it! This may actually happen!!!

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
I woke up this morning to discover that my crowdfund campaign to end US federal subsidies for animal agriculture shot up from $2500 to $4536 overnight! We are 90% funded to hire a lobbyist for a month.

It's so great that you're doing this, Malaysia41!  I chipped in a few bucks.  :)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #343 on: October 28, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
Hello, all -- I'm checking in to report that I successfully veganized a recipe!  I had a hankering for a nice, warming fall soup, so I made this wild rice soup:

https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-wild-rice-soup

Basically, the recipe calls for throwing carrots, celery, onion, mushroom, garlic, wild rice, broth, and some seasonings into the Instant Pot, then separately making a roux-based cream sauce and stirring that into the cooked soup at the end. 

I more or less made it as is, except that I cut the (long) cooking time short by five minutes, then added some diced potatoes for the last five minutes.  Then I added some chopped spinach and parsley and let the spinach wilt for a couple minutes before adding the cream sauce.  I also didn't have poultry seasoning, so I winged it with the herbs and spices I have.  It was delicious.

The veganizing part was the cream sauce.  I made the roux with vegan butter, then used soy milk to make the sauce.  It worked!  I used a lot less butter and flour than the recipe calls for, maybe 2 tbsp of each. 

Re the vegan butter:  I'm trying not to go overboard with buying vegan replacements for animal products, but I was curious about it.  I was wincing with dread as I tasted it, but I gotta say it tastes almost EXACTLY like butter.  I don't know how they did it . . . .

All in all, I've found it to be a piece of cake to cut out animal products at home.  I like puttering around in the kitchen, so it's a fun experiment.  Eating out is much harder, but I do the best I can.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: October 28, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »
Great job Malaysia41! Congrats on reaching the first goal. I was glad to see the email pop up in my inbox. Very curious how the whole campaign will go!!

Carolina - veganizing recipes is so much fun! I also love to do it and my handful of vegan friends is always happy to come to my parties and be able to eat ALL THE SNACKS that I serve. And I never hear the omnivores complain either :)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
Hirondelle, it IS a lot of fun!  I've also made vegan mac & cheese and vegan shepherd's pie from the America's Test Kitchen vegan cookbook.  Yummy.  :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »

It's so great that you're doing this, Malaysia41!  I chipped in a few bucks.  :)

Wow thank you! It's fully funded and I'm going to DC!

I'm planning on doing some live feed videos during my prep for going to DC. What would be most likely to land in your particular media world? facebook?  instagram?  youtube?

So excited.  THANK YOU! Carolina!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #347 on: October 28, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
I'm going to do a vegan (and healthy) diet for the next two weeks and aim for it to be as much WFPB as possible. My diet is completely vegetarian  at the moment. Any support is appreciated. Is it OK if I diaried here?

@rpr - reading over thread I could have sworn I'd replied when you posted this with an adamant, "YES PLEASE JOURNAL HERE!"

It may have been a case of starting a reply and then context switching to something else, then operating system update and starting fresh with no tabs open. Well, that's my most plausible excuse I can imagine. So tell us - how's it going?

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »
I'm planning on doing some live feed videos during my prep for going to DC. What would be most likely to land in your particular media world? facebook?  instagram?  youtube?

For me, Youtube. 

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:48 AM »

For me, Youtube.

Thanks Carolina!