Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018  (Read 66477 times)

CyanoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
@imadandylion It's definitely from a health/preference point, at least for me. Oils can certainly be used in a vegan diet as much or as little as someone wants to use. I just avoid them when I can since they are a processed food (everything stripped away except the fat) and they have a very high calorie density (the highest compared to any other type of food, actually).

Dr. Michael Gregor of NutritionFacts.org actually has a topic on oils discussing how even plant oils can decrease endothelial function: https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/oils/

So I don't buy or use oils at home but I won't turn down vegan food with oils made by others; I'm usually too happy to just have vegan options available!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
I get the oil-free thing, so my main question is how do you roast veggies? That's been the bulk of my diet these two weeks.  The first week I used Pam, which of course now I realize has dairy in it.  The second week I did a combo of covering with foil and brushing oil only on the top layer after cooking for a while.  Brushing oil was annoying bc i had to do it a couple times to keep things from burning.

Also yeah I love Lara bars.  The choc chips in my freezer have milkfat in them, so just need to find an option there.  Tonight is ezekiel bread with tomato, avocado, hummus, and greens.

CyanoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
@AmandaPanda Oh wow, I didn't know Pam had dairy in it. I don't use it at home but my parents use it (they're non-vegan). I'll have to avoid using Pam when I go visit them.

I actually just throw vegetables into the oven dry when I roast them along with any seasoning I put on them. I have been meaning to try roasting veggies with a little tahini rubbed on them, the fats in the tahini may help the roasting process plus add some additional flavoring. Here's a post by Minimalist Baker on Oil-Free Roasted Vegetables: https://minimalistbaker.com/oil-free-roasted-vegetables/

And that dinner sounds delicious. I need to work in some simple sandwiches like that into my weekly meal plan.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
CyanoStache, full disclosure, it was Aldi brand cooking spray, so I don't know for sure about any of the name brand ones...

Tahini on sweet potatoes would be goooood.  I've seen a few recipes for baked sweet potatoes with tahini anyway.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
I FOUND VEGAN CHEESE TODAY.

I'd been looking for it for a while but hadn't been able to find it anywhere yet. I'm very happy as I throw a party tomorrow and one of my friends is vegan, but the snack I wanted to make isn't as good without (melted) cheese and I hadn't found an alternative yet. I'm very excited how it will turn out.

All snacks I have for tomorrow are vegetarian and only one of them is non-vegan. 

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
Tonight is ezekiel bread with tomato, avocado, hummus, and greens.

Yum, sometimes some of the simplest things are the best. This is a meal I am very familiar with - (ezekial bread is the only kind we buy). Though I often just stop at the bread + avocado because it's so good by itself. Mmmmmm. <3 <3 <3 Oh and Amy's does have a vegan margherita pizza that is quite tasty if you can find it! Good luck with your challenge!

I do the same as @CyanoStache with regard to oil. I don't cook with it, but I will happily consume it at restaurants, prepared/packaged food, etc, though I prefer it on the lighter side. I might make a cooking exception if I had easy and cheap access to very fresh olive oil... but a little torn on that.

CyanoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Go Plant-Based (Vegan) Diet in January 2018
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
http://thevegan8.com/ Also a favorite for both quality and simplicity (8 ingredients or less). This week I made her "cheesy mexican tortilla bake" and it turned out delicious (and it was easy)! I just finished the leftovers tonight and I found myself wishing there were more. http://thevegan8.com/2017/06/26/vegan-cheesy-mexican-tortilla-bake/

I made the tortilla bake last night and it was so delicious! It was surprisingly easy to make and that included cooking the beans from dry (in the InstaPot). I think I'll try adding chopped sweet bell pepper the next time I make it just to add more vegetables to the mix. I might need to use my larger casserole dish, haha. That was probably the best vegan "cheese" recipe I've tried so far. I did have to quick-soak the cashews (soaking them in boiling water for ~1 hour) since I didn't have time for an overnight soak, but the cheese sauce still turned out nice and creamy.

Thanks for the link to her website! I love that her recipes are generally 8 ingredients or less. Whenever I see a vegan recipe with a long list of ingredients my eyes glaze over. And the fact that she uses whole food ingredients is fantastic. I've got my eye on her "Italian Vegan Meatballs" recipe next.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »

A lobbyist in DC has taken on my campaign to lobby Congress to end all federal subsidies for animal agriculture!   Check it out! 

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

I submitted this campaign on a lark and it got accepted! 

What do you think?

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »
Congrats on getting your campaign accepted! Honestly I never thought that much about  tax dollars subsidizing animal farming- I would feel much better if they didn’t and it would’ve great if the true cost of animal food production could nudge people toward consuming less.

Switching gears a bit- does anyone have any favorite instant pot recipes? I recently bought one and would like to try some vegan recipes (beyond the basics of cooking dried beans, etc)  but I’m overwhelmed with the options.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2018, 12:11:34 AM »
Sorry I don't have a favorite instant pot recipe.  But everything I've made from minimalist baker has been good - here's an article with 12 1pot dishes:

https://minimalistbaker.com/12-plant-based-1-pot-dinners/

I've been traveling a lot this past month, but back home now. I'm too jet lagged to do much productive work, so I decided to watch a movie.

Yep - Watching Dominion right now.

http://watch.dominionmovement.com/

Makes me irate thinking of all the people in my life who flippantly say 'bacon tho'.  Those poor piglets and their mommies. It breaks my heart. I'm just 16 minutes into the movie and I think I need to stop for now.

Why do I watch? Because those animals need our voices. Because our planet needs us. Because we as a species are capable of doing so much better than we've been conned into doing.  The sheer number of people who believe they need animal products in every meal is testament to the fact that our cultural conditioning is filled with lies.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:13:30 AM by Malaysia41 »

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2018, 07:54:57 AM »
I'm still trucking away - I am able to eat vegan about 18 meals a week. I have sushi twice a week and then once a week I am at a party or restaurant and I cheat with dairy, eggs or fish. I have the world's best falafel on Fridays with a coworker and I recently learned he is a vegan - so I have someone to commiserate with.

Here are ethical questions I have:

I have a friend who doesn't finish her restaurant entrees and never takes her food home. If I am eating with her and she leaves over half a chicken sandwich is it okay if I eat it? If I don't eat it the sandwich will go into the trash, which I feel is a sin.

Similarly - if you order a vegan entrée at a restaurant and they botch your order, is it okay to eat the botched order if the alternative is the trash bin? I ordered a veggie burrito and somehow they put short rib in it and if I brought the burrito back to the restaurant and complained they would have thrown it in the trash, which I feel is a sin. So I ate the burrito and didn't feel bad about it.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2018, 08:25:06 AM »

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »

I dare you to post this in the no-carb meat eaters thread!

Well, it was more of a wake up call for myself to be honest.  I love meat, but aspire to be vegan as I understand the health benefits :).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
I'm still trucking away - I am able to eat vegan about 18 meals a week. I have sushi twice a week and then once a week I am at a party or restaurant and I cheat with dairy, eggs or fish. I have the world's best falafel on Fridays with a coworker and I recently learned he is a vegan - so I have someone to commiserate with.

Here are ethical questions I have:

I have a friend who doesn't finish her restaurant entrees and never takes her food home. If I am eating with her and she leaves over half a chicken sandwich is it okay if I eat it? If I don't eat it the sandwich will go into the trash, which I feel is a sin.

Similarly - if you order a vegan entrée at a restaurant and they botch your order, is it okay to eat the botched order if the alternative is the trash bin? I ordered a veggie burrito and somehow they put short rib in it and if I brought the burrito back to the restaurant and complained they would have thrown it in the trash, which I feel is a sin. So I ate the burrito and didn't feel bad about it.

18 vegan meals a week that's great!  Maybe your vegan friend will push you even further :).

Personally, I would not eat any animal products unless I was in a dire starvation situation. So I would not eat anyone's leftovers, nor would I eat a botched burrito. I'd send it back and hope they'd get the burrito right the second time.  Especially I'd hope they didn't botch it with dairy products. Dairy comes from grieving mothers and I want no part in that. When my food accidentally contains dairy, it devastates me.

Here's what I might do:

If a friend of mine ordered food and left half a chicken sandwich on the table, I'd consider boxing it up and giving it to a hungry person on the street.  Similarly, I might ask for the botched burrito to be boxed up so I could give it away to someone in need as well. I have mixed feelings though about giving animal based food to people, as it's unhealthy. But, if a person is on the street starving, I don't think optimally healthy food is their biggest concern. And it might deliver some nutrients they are deficient in if they're eating a lot of processed junk regularly.

So that's my answer. I'm sure others will differ.

What's your co-worker vegan friend's answer to this ethics question?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:10:40 PM by Malaysia41 »

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
Wow, I like your answers. There aren’t any poor or homeless people in my neighborhood but I see plenty of homeless people during my work day.

My vegan friend said he wouldn’t eat the food because if my friends and family knew I was a vegan who still enjoyed the taste of meat they may manipulate me with “leftovers.” They will order meat and not finish it and try to give it to me because they know I would like it but I wouldn’t order it for myself. By saying “no” my friends and family won’t be temped to sneak meat into my diet. He did say eating food destined for the trash doesn’t impact the demand curve for meat so he wouldn’t hold it against me. He also said he would eat bugs (Bloomberg ran an article on how bugs will be the next big thing to eat) and honey.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
:). 

I agree with your friend. Funny how manipulative people can get around food. And funny how much misinformation there is around food. I just started reading the book Meatonomics and it's no wonder why people think meat is healthy. $38B a year in subsidies from the US government to animal agriculture. True costs of meat are externalized and born by the environment, the animals and our health. Hamburgers should cost $10 not $4.

My campaign to hire a DC lobbyist is gaining traction. https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

I know y'all are super frugal, but if you feel so inclined to send a few dollars that way, please do. Even a $10 donation is great because people see the number of donors and as the # of donors increases, it may tip the psychology of people who visit the site to seeing it as a real movement that could go somewhere.

As for honey - I avoid it, but I don't get upset if I accidentally eat it (unlike dairy which makes me cry). My 'exception' food is clams. But I only eat them once a year or so, when I'm in a town where they're fresh and sustainably harvested. Mm with a white wine garlic sauce yes please.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »
here's some 2 minute actions you can do. A 'Dairy Pride' bill was just introduced in congress. It would ban plant milk producers from using the word 'milk' among other things.

If you oppose this bill, please tell your representatives. Here's a link to send an email to all three.

https://www.pasadosafehaven.org/2ma

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 25, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
One of my favorite personal finance vloggers did a good review on How Not To Die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwd8OWUL12E

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2018, 11:24:48 PM »
One of my favorite personal finance vloggers did a good review on How Not To Die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwd8OWUL12E

Nice - I got about half way through cuz I was like, 'uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.'

I'm reading Dr. Garth Davis's 'Proteinaholic' right now. He spends a lot of time discussing how to evaluate the medical literature, including the phenomenon that we seek out studies that confirm our beliefs. And I look a the book I'm reading and think, uh, er, uh.

But then again, I've read through the gamut of various nutrition / diet theories from Fit For Life to South Beach.  So it's not like I'm limiting myself to narrow research. I feel like I've done a pretty wide-ranging survey.  But I've gotta say the self-reflection is strong reading these books.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:28:31 PM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
OMG check out this 'ted'-like talk:

https://youtu.be/mKTORFmMycQ

I have some thoughts about the setup and delivery and audience reactions, but I'd love to hear your thoughts first before I share.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:43:34 PM by Malaysia41 »

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:55 AM »

I have some thoughts about the setup and delivery and audience reactions, but I'd love to hear your thoughts first before I share.

I thought the descriptions of animal cruelty in books like "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating Animals" were far more powerful than the images in the video. You want people to give up animals you have to dial it up a bit - slaughterhouses, waste lagoons, fish lice, rendering, animal grinders, etc. I don't think this video will change anyone's mind.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
I found these land use graphs to be really powerful for illustrating how much of our land dedicated to raising animals for food (including pasture land and livestock feed).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-us-land-use/

Percolate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
Recently used my body as a guinea pig to compare the keto and WFPB diets and thought I'd share my n=1 experiment here!

My primary health goal has been weight/body fat loss this year. I was on keto for 4 months from April to July this year. Weight loss was good, but I started reading "How Not to Die", got concerned and took a blood test.

My LDL "bad" cholesterol came back high at 201 (optimal level is below 100). My HDL "good" cholesterol was also super high 71 (optimal is above 40) so based on the ratios, it wasn't life threatening but I decided to do an experiment and go whole food plant based.

Did it for 3 weeks, switching from copious amounts of bacon, chicken, sausage, butter, and eggs, to oatmeal, fruit, beans, tofu, and brown rice. I ate lots of vegetables on both diets, but more on whole food plant based. Also used cooking oil on both. I know WFPB discourages added oils but I'm pretty reliant on stir fries for cooking. I retook the test this week and the results are pretty dramatic.

My LDL cholesterol dropped by 143 or 71%. Studies I looked at for 3 week experiments like this (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/615295) averaged 19-25% for men. Not even the most clickbait vegan blog post I've read has differences this significant in this short a time. My good cholesterol is now higher than my bad cholesterol, which I didn't know was possible. Kidney and thyroid numbers also look better. Blood pressure went from normal/pre-hypertensive (120/80) to optimal (95/65).

I would guess it's not common for a person to go from keto/high fat to vegan/whole food plant based, but these results are so out there I can't help but wonder if something was measured wrong. I'll retest in a couple months but in the meantime, I'll take it.

On both diets I've lost weight (down about 40 lbs since October of last year and down about 3-5 lbs this month) and had good energy levels (I usually play 5-15 hours of basketball a week) though I think I had slightly more on keto. I was intermittently fasting on both and skipping lunch most days as well.

More on topic for this forum, WFPB diet was definitely lighter on my wallet, and dropped my grocery bill about 30% since I was allowed to eat cheap calories like rice, beans, and pasta again. In this sense I think coming from another restrictive diet in keto made this a lot easier because I was so excited at being able to eat rice and fruits again.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
Recently used my body as a guinea pig to compare the keto and WFPB diets and thought I'd share my n=1 experiment here!

My primary health goal has been weight/body fat loss this year. I was on keto for 4 months from April to July this year. Weight loss was good, but I started reading "How Not to Die", got concerned and took a blood test.

My LDL "bad" cholesterol came back high at 201 (optimal level is below 100). My HDL "good" cholesterol was also super high 71 (optimal is above 40) so based on the ratios, it wasn't life threatening but I decided to do an experiment and go whole food plant based.

Did it for 3 weeks, switching from copious amounts of bacon, chicken, sausage, butter, and eggs, to oatmeal, fruit, beans, tofu, and brown rice. I ate lots of vegetables on both diets, but more on whole food plant based. Also used cooking oil on both. I know WFPB discourages added oils but I'm pretty reliant on stir fries for cooking. I retook the test this week and the results are pretty dramatic.

My LDL cholesterol dropped by 143 or 71%. Studies I looked at for 3 week experiments like this (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/615295) averaged 19-25% for men. Not even the most clickbait vegan blog post I've read has differences this significant in this short a time. My good cholesterol is now higher than my bad cholesterol, which I didn't know was possible. Kidney and thyroid numbers also look better. Blood pressure went from normal/pre-hypertensive (120/80) to optimal (95/65).

I would guess it's not common for a person to go from keto/high fat to vegan/whole food plant based, but these results are so out there I can't help but wonder if something was measured wrong. I'll retest in a couple months but in the meantime, I'll take it.

On both diets I've lost weight (down about 40 lbs since October of last year and down about 3-5 lbs this month) and had good energy levels (I usually play 5-15 hours of basketball a week) though I think I had slightly more on keto. I was intermittently fasting on both and skipping lunch most days as well.

More on topic for this forum, WFPB diet was definitely lighter on my wallet, and dropped my grocery bill about 30% since I was allowed to eat cheap calories like rice, beans, and pasta again. In this sense I think coming from another restrictive diet in keto made this a lot easier because I was so excited at being able to eat rice and fruits again.

That's amazing!  I can't believe your cholesterol results!  Congratulations. You must feel serious relief about your health. Yeah measuring again in a few months would be a good idea. Do you plan on continuing WFPB for that time?

Thanks for reporting this, Percolate. Now, will you go post your results over on https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/keto-challenge ?  I read through that thread on occasion, and I worry for those MMMers.  What they are doing can't be healthy for their bodies, nor their wallets.

As for losing weight early in keto - I've read that a significant amount of that weight loss comes as you deplete glycogen stores. Conversely, on a, say, WFPB diet, when you're eating complex carbohydrates regularly, and glycogen stores are staying topped up, these energy stores retain a healthy amount of water.  Do you have any insight into that?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:37:56 PM by Malaysia41 »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
I could never Keto.  I know a lot of people like it - but I've been running a lot, my body runs on carbs.  I hear things about becoming fat adapted and being able to run that way.  But it's not for me.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:39 AM »

I thought the descriptions of animal cruelty in books like "Forks Over Knives" and "Eating Animals" were far more powerful than the images in the video. You want people to give up animals you have to dial it up a bit - slaughterhouses, waste lagoons, fish lice, rendering, animal grinders, etc. I don't think this video will change anyone's mind.

Yeah - the bit where Dr. Campbell describes the sound of the dairy cow mommies crying out for their stolen babies - it's powerful.

Percolate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
That's amazing!  I can't believe your cholesterol results!  Congratulations. You must feel serious relief about your health. Yeah measuring again in a few months would be a good idea. Do you plan on continuing WFPB for that time?

Thanks for reporting this, Percolate. Now, will you go post your results over on https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/keto-challenge ?  I read through that thread on occasion, and I worry for those MMMers.  What they are doing can't be healthy for their bodies, nor their wallets.

As for losing weight early in keto - I've read that a significant amount of that weight loss comes as you deplete glycogen stores. Conversely, on a, say, WFPB diet, when you're eating complex carbohydrates regularly, and glycogen stores are staying topped up, these energy stores retain a healthy amount of water.  Do you have any insight into that?

Thanks! I can't really believe them either. I wasn't planning on continuing WFPB beyond the initial 3 weeks but what drew me to it was the body of evidence and now faced with pretty overwhelming personal results it's hard to justify not continuing, especially taking into consideration other ethical and environmental factors. It's weird that my body doesn't feel that much different either way. I feel like I've had slightly lower mood and energy on WFPB, but it's always been hard for me to disentangle that stuff with the amount of sleep and meditation I'm getting and other stressors. It's hard to imagine swearing off eggs forever but at the same time it's not that hard to avoid eggs for a day and repeat. I've been tracking daily in MyFitnessPal and cronometer and one reason to stick with this is that it's a lot easier to just copy meals over and over than introduce new stuff lol. I'm really enjoying the food I'm eating on WFPB so the fruit, veggies, beans, etc are here to stay as the bulk of my diet, so it's just a question of the frequency of the other stuff. I went to the store the other day with the intention of getting some chicken dumplings or some meat but found that when I got there I wasn't really feeling it. So I guess for now I'm continuing WFPB out of inertia and will continue to monitor how I feel.

Haha, I ain't trying to start a fight with the keto people. It seems everyone agrees getting rid of the processed carbs and sugars is a good thing and that being overweight is a major risk factor for all sorts of diseases. I think on balance keto is still positive for people if it helps them pay attention to their macros, cut bad stuff out and lose weight. Keto didn't have such an adverse effect on my cholesterol before and everyone's body is different so faced with all the conflicting information out there I did this to try and figure out what was true for my body.

It's true that some of the initial weight loss from keto is water weight, but it's usually only the first 5-10 lbs. The rest of the weight loss is real, but I did read a study earlier this year that ranked keto as one of the worst diets not for any health reason but because it's so hard to sustain. So those 5-10 lbs will come back for most people if and when they stop the diet, and possibly more if they can't maintain a caloric deficit without the diet.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
I could never Keto.  I know a lot of people like it - but I've been running a lot, my body runs on carbs.  I hear things about becoming fat adapted and being able to run that way.  But it's not for me.

All of our bodies run on carbs.

This notion that different people need different diets seems odd to me. our physiology as humans is to run on carbs - from whole foods - often cooked, but not refined or enriched with artificial 'nutrients'. Sure, if a person has an allergy to a food obviously that's unique. In that case a person might want to avoid that food or embrace a plan to desensitize to it. But other than that, no, having a certain blood type doesn't mean 'eat more yogurt' or other such nonsense. Eat potatoes. Eat lentils. Eat vegetables. Eat nuts. Drink water. (and then have a bit of dark chocolate before bed amirite?)

Simple.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
My new favorite dish is this: https://www.thissavoryvegan.com/asian-tahini-noodle-bowls/

I modified it a bit though:
- Use 1 bell pepper instead of two
- I didn't add the carrot
- instead of oil in the tahini sauce I just use extra water
- I use kale instead of spinach
- I saute a shallot and some tempeh with a teaspoon or two of oil, a bit of rice wine vinegar, and some braggs, then add the greens to that (so they cook a bit). I add this to the noodles, vegatables and sauce.
- I doubled the sriracha

It's so yummy I like to eat it at least once a week.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
I'm making the stew and the cole-slaw today. Mouth ... watering ...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2016nl/nov/recipes.htm

Have any of you read Dr. McDougall's book the Starch Solution? I haven't, but I watched one his lectures a few months ago - maybe this one.

If you are familiar with his work, what do you think?

edit: here's the stew. i'd read it could be bland, but using homemade veggie broth, it turned out rich and tasty.

Now to make the cole-slaw
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:35:39 AM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
My new favorite dish is this: https://www.thissavoryvegan.com/asian-tahini-noodle-bowls/

I modified it a bit though:
- Use 1 bell pepper instead of two
- I didn't add the carrot
- instead of oil in the tahini sauce I just use extra water
- I use kale instead of spinach
- I saute a shallot and some tempeh with a teaspoon or two of oil, a bit of rice wine vinegar, and some braggs, then add the greens to that (so they cook a bit). I add this to the noodles, vegatables and sauce.
- I doubled the sriracha

It's so yummy I like to eat it at least once a week.

this is sitting in an open browser tab so I remember it.  I need to find a good tahini. The tahini in the major grocery stores aren't good. It's as if they've been on the shelf for years. They're compacted and have a bad taste. I don't know how to make my own tahini. Grinding up sesame seeds is challenging to say the least. I need to remember to look next time I go to the Chinese grocery.

I'm totally down with using kale rather than spinach. Yum.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »

This notion that different people need different diets seems odd to me. our physiology as humans is to run on carbs - from whole foods - often cooked, but not refined or enriched with artificial 'nutrients'. Sure, if a person has an allergy to a food obviously that's unique. In that case a person might want to avoid that food or embrace a plan to desensitize to it. But other than that, no, having a certain blood type doesn't mean 'eat more yogurt' or other such nonsense. Eat potatoes. Eat lentils. Eat vegetables. Eat nuts. Drink water. (and then have a bit of dark chocolate before bed amirite?)

Simple.
I'm willing to admit, though - that different people have different needs.  Fibromyalgia, PCOS, Type 2 diabetes - different bodies will react to different diets. 

I've read about people who have gotten their bodies to become "fat adapted" so that they can run/ bike/ do ultras (whatever) on fat and not carbs.  That is pretty much what I was referencing.  I've got two women friends who are runners who tried to do that and were not successful.  But that doesn't mean it won't work for some people.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »

Simple.
I'm willing to admit, though - that different people have different needs.  Fibromyalgia, PCOS, Type 2 diabetes - different bodies will react to different diets. 

I've read about people who have gotten their bodies to become "fat adapted" so that they can run/ bike/ do ultras (whatever) on fat and not carbs.  That is pretty much what I was referencing.  I've got two women friends who are runners who tried to do that and were not successful.  But that doesn't mean it won't work for some people.

Maybe I gave the wrong impression. Obviously medical conditions can impose specific dietary restrictions or requirements. My wording wasn't great - I meant to be giving allergies as an example of a medical condition, but maybe it came off as me being obtuse.

Intentionally running on fat and protein and not carbs though - it just sounds extreme and marginally useful, especially since glucose is the fuel that every single cell in our bodies use to do their work. And what does keto give a person in the end? Maybe they're going for weight loss or improved performance in the short term, but I suspect what they're really getting is heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, acne, and / or a whole host of other maladies.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:30 PM »
Have you guys watched/listened to The Happy Pear? THey have a good youtube channel. I recommend.

here's a recent episode where they take their shirts off and discuss protein.

https://youtu.be/ExXZj11eU7I

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #285 on: September 14, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »

BBC politics panel discussion. Sounds like the beginning of a tipping point. Well in London at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06l4p39

Earthling Ed video clips from his tour through America's heartland aren't as encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVRrGAcUc7cblUzOhI1KfFg

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
The other day, I made the lentil loaf from Dr McDougall's website. https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2016nl/nov/recipes.htm
Turns out, it holds together great for left-overs.

So I made lentil loaf sandwiches for myself and my son. Here's the sandwiches before I put the top slice of bread on.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2018, 07:08:22 PM »
This has been a fun thread to read!  Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Have you guys watched/listened to The Happy Pear? THey have a good youtube channel. I recommend.

here's a recent episode where they take their shirts off and discuss protein.

https://youtu.be/ExXZj11eU7I
Thanks, that was fun and I hadn't heard of them.

I have been WFPB since June of last year (vegetarian since May).  I switched for health reasons and the more I've learned about the pain eating animal products causes animals the happier I am about the switch.

I ate animals primarily because I thought I needed it for health reasons (yes, the flavor was good too but that wasn't my primary motivation) so when I discovered the need for it was a lie, it was easy for me to stop.  I know studies show you can eat up to 5% without health risk (ex. The China Study) but I just don't have any interest in it.  (Although like you, Malaysia, I would if I were starving.)  As one of the WFPB doctors says, I'm okay dying but I don't want it to be my fault.

I am mostly oil-free too.  I sometimes buy takeout that uses it though.  I do not miss cooking with it and I love how much less soap I need to use, how clean my kitchen is (especially the cover of the exhaust vent), etc.

I have shared this info with people when they confide their health concerns or that of family members and seem open/searching for answers.  Otherwise I listen and support their choices and baby steps in the right direction.  Sometimes keeping my mouth shut, especially for people I really care about, is incredibly difficult.  But I know how shut off I was before I had my eyes opened.  And many of my family members are now primarily WFPB (I am actually the only one who is 100% plant-based) and that is pretty wonderful.

Since people were asking for recipe recommendations... I think a lot of vegan food is either really unhealthy or weird.  Here are a couple of my favorites -

This is one of my favorite vegan cookbooks:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Vegan-Cookbook-Your-Instant/dp/1624143385/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537318620&sr=8-1&keywords=the+ultimate+vegan+cookbook+for+your+instant+pot&dpID=51vxT4uqVnL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Her free website recipes aren't as good IMO but I got this from the library and I learned so much about my IP and gained confidence to start experimenting after following her basic ideas.  I will start using the cookbook again when it gets cold.  Her bean book is good too.

I also really like the Straight Up Food site.  Her recipes are amazing and were very helpful in transitioning some of my family members to primarily WFPB (her lasagna is a particular favorite).  I used several of her recipes for holiday meals last year and special occasions and plan to again.  And her recipes are WFPB - no gluten, oil, sugar, etc. so nice not to have to modify them:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50:14 PM »
@sonjak - Thanks for the recommendations - I looked at Straight Up Food - the scallop potatoes look amazing. I'll need to try that soon.

It sounds like you and I had similar journeys and time-lines. Yeah - once you stop eating animals you see the insanity of it. Not the insanity that people would eat animals on occasion. That in and of itself is its own issue that I can mentally think about from lots of viewpoints, because I've held many of those viewpoints at one time or another.

But then you add on the factory farming, the environment, the health... and well ... you know how it goes. But ...

For me, the thing that gets me, is the sheer SCALE of animal agriculture. We're 7 billion people and we keep hundreds of billions of animals in captivity - these are environmentally and ethically devastating numbers - just scroll through the bloomberg map @Nola584 posted - and the scale is apparent. All this- so we can eat in a way that is literally killing us. It's madness. The conditioning, the indoctrination, the hidden ideology that people don't know they subscribe to, don't know they argue from, and aren't even aware it exists - carnism is everywhere.

Our predicament is both dire and urgent. How nice would it be to 'just make my personal choices'. But you can't. For one thing, voting with your dollars isn't going to have much effect beyond supporting new brands. With subsidies, the old products still get produced*. Besides, there's no time for such incremental change based on individual change. We've got to wake people up. But as you and I are well aware now, human cognition doesn't work like that. And when we talk about the change in our own mindsets, it's often received as 'well isn't that nice that you, M41, have a new belief that seems to give you purpose. You do you, I'll do me.' As if I've made a personal choice to work out more or something. Besides, it's not about ME. It's about US. A very few of us are trying to save humanity here so wake the fuck up because if you don't - we all dead. We are leaving to our children a destroyed, spent world. But we don't have to! OMG stop with the cheese and the beef already! There are other things in life like ... hummus!

*about that, 'voting with our dollars' thing. In the US and EU today, your dollar votes don't count for squat as long as we continue these farm bills that subsidize animal agriculture. That's why I started a crowdfund campaign to end subsidies to animal ag, and redirect some of that $ to help farmers transition to growing crops for human consumption.  We are about 1/4 way funded, and $500 is coming in next week from the platform organizer. This is my shameless plug. You can donate here:

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

The other indoctrination - esp in America today - that unfettered capitalism is the one true way. Here's a fun experiment: read this WSJ article, and keep in mind the existential threat that animal agriculture poses to humanity (it's the leading cause of GHG emissions). How does it strike you?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/growing-appetites-fuel-record-u-s-meat-production-1515782021

Some key phrases:
"The U.S. beef-cattle herd has expanded by 12% over the past four years."

“We have a world that has a growing middle class that’s demanding protein,”
as if meat == protein. Bitch, you can get protein from plants. Where do you think the animals get their protein?

"Right now, pretty much everybody except for the turkey people [is] making money,” said Tom Elam, president of agricultural consultancy FarmEcon LLC. “Until that changes, they’ll just keep expanding.”

That part bolded - why is everyone making money? I would wager that $38B a year in animal ag subsidies has A LOT to do with it.

Free markets where full externalities are accounted for, and innovators compete on an even playing field would be awesome. But that's not  what we've got, especially so in the animal agriculture industries. The ideal of free markets - the ideal free markets we were taught in school that capitalism should bring - ain't reality. I do not want my tax dollars subsidizing this destructive force, this threat to my children.  Seriously, call your reps, and if you agree with what I'm saying here, help me hire a lobbyist. https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

I am mostly oil-free too.  I sometimes buy takeout that uses it though.  I do not miss cooking with it and I love how much less soap I need to use, how clean my kitchen is (especially the cover of the exhaust vent), etc.

We've cut out lots of oil, but, er, not tonight!  Home-made falafel, hummus, and soy-yogurt aioli.

Damn it, this was going to be a post about my falafel and it turned into another rage against the machine sesh. Ah, well, we've got a massive machine to rage against.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:06:09 PM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
Oh yeah - for September, I've organized Cubes of Truth every Wednesday evening. Usually 6 of us show up. But last night everyone was late, so, for the first 10 minutes,  M50 made a cube of one...

"when u the only vegan in town"

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »
The WSJ article (it's behind a pay wall).

"America is producing more meat than ever.

Farmers and meatpackers produced a record 99.7 billion pounds of red meat and poultry in 2017, the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates. They are on track for an even bigger slaughter this year.

Tyson Foods Inc., Sanderson Farms Inc. and other meat companies are building new plants that are expected to push U.S. meat production up 3.8% in 2018, the biggest increase in more than 20 years.

“We have a world that has a growing middle class that’s demanding protein,” said Dean Meyer, a farmer near Rock Rapids, Iowa who built a new hog barn and cattle feedlot to grow his sales to nearby slaughterhouses run by Tyson, JBS and others. “We think that’s a great opportunity.”

The U.S. beef-cattle herd has expanded by 12% over the past four years. Meat companies produced a record 47.7 billion pounds of poultry in 2017, and slaughtered hogs at a faster pace than ever before.

Tyson in November said its earnings per share hit a record in the company’s 2017 fiscal year, while Hormel Foods Corp. achieved its highest-ever annual profit margin. Sanderson Farms said it sold a record 4.2 billion pounds of poultry in 2017.

Cheap grain is fueling the livestock and poultry boom. Five consecutive years of bumper U.S. crops have pushed down corn and soybean prices, making animal feed cheaper. Robust demand domestically and abroad encouraged meatpackers to build more and bigger plants to slaughter the added animals.

The production boom could mean lower meat prices at restaurants and grocery stores this year, analysts said. But Americans are also on course to eat more meat than ever in 2018, thanks in part to a strengthening economy. Americans will consume 222.8 pounds of meat per capita in 2018, the USDA projects, a sharp uptick from a year earlier.

Meat exports are also expected to grow as increasingly affluent consumers in southeast Asia, Latin America and elsewhere eat more protein. About 15% of U.S. meat production is exported.

The buildup could backfire for farmers and meatpackers if supplies outpace demand, or trade disputes disrupt U.S. exports. Some analysts say consumption is unlikely to keep up with the meat industry’s rapid expansion. “I think the increase in supply is going to outpace demand growth for the next two to three years,” said Heather Jones, an analyst with financial firm Vertical Group.

The Trump administration is renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement, or Nafta, and other pacts with countries that buy U.S. meat. Last year, the U.S. withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, which some meat industry executives hoped would boost exports to countries where demand for meat is growing rapidly.

That was a blow to Prestage Farms Inc., a family-owned pork-and-poultry producer that is building a slaughterhouse in Eagle Grove, Iowa. The plant, capable of processing 10,000 hogs a day, was designed to produce pork for export to markets including those that had joined the TPP agreement.

“I’m frustrated that we’re not at the table,” said Ron Prestage, the company’s president. “Over time there’s an opportunity for the U.S. to get back in it with those same countries.”

There are signs the big buildup in U.S. meat production is already eroding profits for some meatpackers, who have a record of booms and busts. Take turkey. U.S. turkey flocks have rebounded from a 2015 avian influenza outbreak that led to the culling of millions of birds.

Now a ballooning number of birds has pushed turkey prices to their lowest level in seven years, eroding processor profits. Pork processors, meanwhile, saw profit margins drop last fall as new plants fought for available hogs to slaughter.

Still, meat company executives are upbeat that both U.S. diners and foreign customers will buy more of their meat. “Our demand has been outstanding,” Tyson Chief Executive Tom Hayes said in November.

Poultry companies including Tyson have at least eight new plants and expansions in the works, which will help boost U.S. chicken processing by nearly 10% over the next four years, according to Sanderson. Three new pork plants opened in 2017.

Prestage’s plant is expected to open later this year. Together those plants are expected to boost pork processing capacity by 10% by 2019, according to the National Pork Producers Council.

“Right now, pretty much everybody except for the turkey people [is] making money,” said Tom Elam, president of agricultural consultancy FarmEcon LLC. “Until that changes, they’ll just keep expanding.”

SupersavingMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2018, 02:47:28 AM »
I am here for the recipes! And with this in mind.......

I have tried two vegan falafel recipes now and they have both been a bit dry and a bit bland.  I suppose I could ramp up the flavourings but how do I get them to be a bit more moist?  I put extra garlic, coriander,  lemon juice and oil in the last lot and, if anything, they were drier!  I am cooking them in the oven -I don’t even own a deep fat fryer, so I suppose that might make a difference but.....  Has anyone got any good falafel recipes to share?  Shop bought ones are pretty damn pricey here in the UK,  when you consider the cost of the ingredients!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
I am here for the recipes! And with this in mind.......

I have tried two vegan falafel recipes now and they have both been a bit dry and a bit bland.  I suppose I could ramp up the flavourings but how do I get them to be a bit more moist?  I put extra garlic, coriander,  lemon juice and oil in the last lot and, if anything, they were drier!  I am cooking them in the oven -I don’t even own a deep fat fryer, so I suppose that might make a difference but.....  Has anyone got any good falafel recipes to share?  Shop bought ones are pretty damn pricey here in the UK,  when you consider the cost of the ingredients!

Yeah me too. Sometimes they turn out dry. A lot of recipes call for soaked but not cooked chickpeas. I do half and half. And if the cooked ones are from a can, I include a few tbsp of the aquafaba. 

I’ve been thinking of adding more mild onion to the mix. That’s the trick for making moist lentil loaf.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:38:32 AM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
Peaches are in season now, so I made the peach pie-lets from that site you sent - @sonjak http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2017/06/18/peach-pie-lets/

Wow they were good. I took them to a party where my friend made amarone risotto and I brought the dessert. I was worried that they were too WFPB / healthy / not-sweet-enough - but people loved them. The flavors were well balanced between the date, lemon and peach.

The people at the party were total omnis - Brazilians and Italians. Many are wary of vegan food. I love it when they like my food :). And you get much of the credit sonjak :).

Thanks for sharing that site. I will definitely be trying other recipes.

Here we are around the table before dinner. Oh - you can see my home made hummus on the table. They liked that too :)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:12:46 PM by Malaysia41 »

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2018, 08:00:13 PM »
Yay!  I am so glad you tried one of her recipes AND that they liked it.  I'm not surprised but glad you have found them to be as reliable as we have.  :)  And thanks for sharing the great pic!

Sonja

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Seriously knocking it out of the park @sonjak -

We made the scalloped potatoes http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2017/12/22/scalloped-potatoes/

... and absolutely harfed 'em.

Sorry the pics aren't great but the scalloped potatoes were. :)

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2018, 05:44:48 AM »
You guys are inspirational:). I have eaten vegan for about 3 years now. For health only. Before that I tried many other diets including Atkins and then no carb. Ate only meat for 4 years. Never got into fat burning mode. Likely a genetic issue.  I had severe stomach issues and eating any plants caused severe pain. When I had to start eating other foods the pain came back. Yes I saw multiple GI doctors. Then my BP went out of control. I also have migraines. So my sister told me to try vegan diet al la Fuhrman. It helped but BP still high. Of course I could not give up salt. :). So within last year bought. A BP machine and gave up salt. But I kept going to restaurants. So very recently I have become very strict and my HAs and BP have drastically improved. I have learned that manufacturers will lie about the sodium in their products. Most recently I have decided the no salt tortillas I was buying have much more than the 10 mg they allege. Oh and I cured my IBS which is another long story

Btw no one has mentioned feeling cooler as a vegan. I am always cold but it really helps when hiking or running.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:49:27 AM by CSuzette »

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2018, 05:56:09 AM »
I also noticed that the regular tomato paste has the exact same amount of sodium as the no salt version and that is just a lie. If my mouth starts feeling dry after eating something then I know it has salt in it Also my BP will start going up. FYI you can buy sodium free baking powder and even baking soda. I just have not tried making anything preferring to avoid fattening baked goods. But I will probably bake myself something to avoid feeling deprived:)

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2018, 06:02:58 AM »
I was also wondering whether anyone has made black bean brownies. I was thinking of using xylitol for the sugar and avacado for the fat. I will no longer ingest cane sugar. It is part of the White Death trio (salt, white flour and cane sugar).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
I was also wondering whether anyone has made black bean brownies. I was thinking of using xylitol for the sugar and avacado for the fat. I will no longer ingest cane sugar. It is part of the White Death trio (salt, white flour and cane sugar).

Have you tried making dessert dishes with medjool dates? I find dates add loads of sweetness.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!