Author Topic: Where in the world would you spend 3 months?  (Read 24177 times)

OlDogface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where in the world would you spend 3 months?
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
Once FI, we plan on spending 3 months now and then in one of our favorite small cities/islands: Penang, Malaysia. Great culture and food, laid-back (if you're a tourist), access to beaches and festivals -- also very good on the visa front: 3 months upon arrival for most western passport-holders, and easy to do a visa run to Thailand for another 3 months if necessary.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 06:11:33 AM »
Chiang Mai, in Thailand. A lot of the blogs I read about long-term travel have written about it as a laid-back student city, with a nice climate, friendly people and wonderful food. Most importantly, it's cheap!! I would love to just kick back, do some reading, cook and eat out when I felt like it, get caught up on some work online here and there, and just relaaaaaaaxxxx.

I'm sure I'll end up spending at least a couple of weeks there before FIRE, and maybe a few more afterwards :D

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Having spent a year travelling I can definitely recommend it. My favorite places are Nepal, Switzerland, Alaska, and British Collumbia. I have a strong preference for the outdoors and I could easily spend another three months in any of them. I made my choice for my second mini retirement this year based on the season and budget. I am in Alaska already and I wanted my next trip to be a bike tour so I decide to stay here abs tour the state by bike. If it were winter I'd go to New Zealand.

-Nick

For pictures and stories from the trip around the world you can look up alternatepriorities.blogspot

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
Spent a month going around outback New South Wales last year - 3 months in the outback would be fabulous! Some of the oldest carvings, burials, infrastructure... on earth. All with almost no tourists.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
For my sake, whenever I think I can't handle US consumerist and fear-based media culture, I fantasize about moving to either NZ or Ireland. NZ typically wins the fantasy game because we are quite secular.

But this thread makes me think an MMM house swap could be an AWESOME way to benefit the community - frugal travel thru home exchange, anyone? 

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
I would love to live in Australia and explore for three months!!!  There is so much to experience, see, do and learn.  I'd have a tough time deciding which parts to see first, anyone have suggestions?

Time wise I am leaning towards November and December months since I've always wanted to experience the holidays in Australia and cap it all off seeing the live fireworks during new years.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
I would love to live in Australia and explore for three months!!!  There is so much to experience, see, do and learn.  I'd have a tough time deciding which parts to see first, anyone have suggestions?

Time wise I am leaning towards November and December months since I've always wanted to experience the holidays in Australia and cap it all off seeing the live fireworks during new years.
It starts to get hot in December - depending on where you are (I wouldn't go to central Australia in either November or December)

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:22 AM »
Come on over to New Zealand guys, we could use all the Mustachians we can get down here!  Personally I'd be pretty keen to swap a house with a Mustachian in France for 3 months...

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
Brazil...go to the world cup. There are alot of great areas in Brazil just stay away from the ghettos!

Also stay away from the Dengue fever...

Football fans warned about dengue fever risk at Fifa World Cup in Brazil
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/may/23/dengue-fever-brazil-fifa-world-cup

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
I just watched the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, plus the DVD extras, and decided I'll definitely be spending a few months in New Zealand at some point.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
I just watched the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, plus the DVD extras, and decided I'll definitely be spending a few months in New Zealand at some point.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

It's amazing what the Lord of the Rings did to New Zealand

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!