Author Topic: What things did you do outside your comfort zone today?  (Read 10156 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What things did you do outside your comfort zone today?
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
Signed the contract and wrote the whopping check that will allow work to begin on replacing our heating system.  The cost is staggering and I regret that we can't afford the $15K extra that would get us a geothermal system, but we need to do this. Our house and yard are a disaster and I need to get the ball rolling so we can start attacking other aspects of our lives; I've allowed anxiety over the expense to paralyze me over the last two months

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
@Poundwise - I can relate. It sounds like you are on the right track. Positive steps building towards more momentum on other projects, and not letting perfect be the enemy of good.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
i had the plumber in to fix something. 
and held my nose when i paid him

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache Thank you for the encouraging words! I am sometimes very brave and sometimes completely chicken$hit about the strangest things.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »
I participated more than usual in a very high level meeting yesterday and today. I’m in an upper management position but have nearly crippling anxiety speaking in groups, especially unfamiliar ones. Last winter I was “supposed” to speak in front of a group of nearly 1,000 but I chickened our and had a coworker do it. I’ll have many opportunities in this next year to speak to groups of 200-300 likely, we’ll see if I can muster up the courage. I have been asked to many times in my career and haven’t yet. I was in speech therapy for about 6-7 years growing up and that most certainly doesn’t help the cause.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
@Poundwise - it's strange what stresses us out vs emboldens us, right? There are things I *should* be afraid of, and for whatever reason, dive right into. And then, there are things I know I need to do, and they stress/freak me out. Good work moving past & focusing on forward progress!

@use2betrix - great work! I too am not a fan of presenting in front of large groups. I've done it before. I've also engaged in extremely controversial topics where I'm the lone voice of dissent in big meetings. It can be really tough. Keep in mind that if you are being asked, many people think you are qualified and capable of talking & engaging audiences of that size. The way I've been successful in the past is to practice. I don't mean a handful of times. But, practicing until I can do it cold, in my sleep, three weeks later. Probably 50 run throughs of the content, to the point that i'm wavering on boredom instead of anxiety. Of course, that's not feasible all of the time, but once you get used to presenting in front of audience (I hear) it becomes easier.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 12:34:38 AM »
Signed the contract and wrote the whopping check that will allow work to begin on replacing our heating system.  The cost is staggering and I regret that we can't afford the $15K extra that would get us a geothermal system, but we need to do this. Our house and yard are a disaster and I need to get the ball rolling so we can start attacking other aspects of our lives; I've allowed anxiety over the expense to paralyze me over the last two months

This is not a waste of money, but an investment in your home. When you will ever sell your home, it would have been worth less with an outdated heating system. Modernizing is a good investment. And you will probably save money each year on having a more effective system.

Maybe you should also look at modernizing your home in other ways, like the colours and a new front door. Maybe you could do some of those issues yourself, which would make the investment more profitable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:02 AM »
I participated more than usual in a very high level meeting yesterday and today. I’m in an upper management position but have nearly crippling anxiety speaking in groups, especially unfamiliar ones. Last winter I was “supposed” to speak in front of a group of nearly 1,000 but I chickened our and had a coworker do it. I’ll have many opportunities in this next year to speak to groups of 200-300 likely, we’ll see if I can muster up the courage. I have been asked to many times in my career and haven’t yet. I was in speech therapy for about 6-7 years growing up and that most certainly doesn’t help the cause.

You are supposed to be able to speak to a large group if you are in upper management. Although I have only spoken in smaller groups (up to 65 or so) I have noticed that preparing really well gives confidence. Make sure you have your text written, maybe a powerpoint presentation with hints and the rest of your text in the presenter notes or on a piece of paper.

I have noticed that if I leave too much text to improvisation (having only hints in powerpoint and improvising the rest of the text), then I start telling stuff from the later slides too early. So even though I have the ability to improvise, it might get messy later in the presentation. Preparing in more detail and sticking to the script works better for me.

You should also consider doing a presentation course. And have someone help you to make really nice and powerful powerpoint slides, because most powerpoint presentations suck.  (this could be a separate subject)

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 07:02:27 AM »
In August, I got a barely-above minimum wage part-time job (starts after my full-time job each day) with the intent of stepping way outside my comfort zone.  ...
You’d think it’s no big deal.  But it’s a huge deal to me and I am so proud every night when I come home that I made the effort through another day.

Cezilous, I want to give you a round of applause. This is a great action step--new people, new setting AND money, it's a trifecta!

I work more than one job but they are closely related and use largely the same set of skills. I am thinking of getting another part-time position doing something totally different over the summer just to get me out of that headspace and into another one. One summer when I was much younger I got a job cutting grass--about as far from my regular job as it's possible to get, which is what I was looking for.

It was hilarious how bad I was at it, but I still remember the experience fondly because it really did feel like 'surviving' each day. Added bonus, it was like working in a sauna; by the end of the summer I was about fifteen pounds lighter and super clear skin.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
Booked a spontaneous vacation without clearing it at work first.

I am by nature a planner, like to have everything in my calendar scheduled to a certain level--but my SO surprised me with a very unique opportunity so we jumped on it (and even got the flights with points). I've been able to get it mostly all sorted at work relatively smoothly (and everyone understands and supports the plan) and I learned that sometimes you can just act & hope that it will work out.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:34 AM »
Accepted a 2nd interview for a job in a completely different industry than mine. I've been wanting to make a change for a while, but the reality of it being a possibility is suddenly terrifying to me! I'm not sure I'm ready for the change, but going to the interview will be good experience, even if the job doesn't end up being the right fit.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »

This is not a waste of money, but an investment in your home. When you will ever sell your home, it would have been worth less with an outdated heating system. Modernizing is a good investment. And you will probably save money each year on having a more effective system.

Maybe you should also look at modernizing your home in other ways, like the colours and a new front door. Maybe you could do some of those issues yourself, which would make the investment more profitable.

Unfortunately we were forced to make this investment by a disaster (catastrophic failure of above-ground oil tank, was not foreseeable), but you are right, it will probably increase the value of our home to some extent.  I also called to get some estimates on "fun" upgrades to our yard which will have to happen as a part of the cascade of events set in motion by the disaster.  It's going to take most of our liquid savings but of course we are fortunate to have the cash on hand. It's also out of my comfort zone to have cosmetic-type work on the house done by professionals... we're DIY people but I'm recognizing that the work needs to be done soon and well.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:30 AM »
Interviewed for a Fire'd side gig. Been almost 4 years and I was always self employed but I found the process pretty simple and actually kinda more of a hassle so not sure what that means the work if I did it would feel like.

JSalazar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Art
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for a person to go outside their comfort zone. Trying new things, going new places, gathering more information -- all of that helps a person grow & avoid stagnation. (Imo, stagnation is like death.)

I walked down an unfamiliar hiking trail, near my apartment. The path hugged a steep incline, and each step was made more treacherous by recent rainfall. About halfway down the path, I saw through the trees some kind of concrete edifice -- I started wondering if it lead to an abandoned facility (there's one not too far from here, so the expectation wasn't entirely out of line.) But the closer I got, catching my balance on trees and hopping over disintegrating grit, the clearer the picture: they were concrete columns, holding up three apartments! I've been on that end of the street, before, and had no idea that most of these apartments were hanging 90% off the hill.

I learned several new things, following that trail. The first is that the trail loops around, connecting to my street. It also branches off at one point, providing a short cut to my favorite grocery store! I also learned a bit about how to balance & move when the mud underneath you is very slippery.

Most of my ventures into 'try/do new things & leave the comfort zone' aren't nearly so exciting. But exploring my environment and seeking new information leads to interesting results often enough that I've become fond of the practice. I've found abandoned buildings half-swallowed by foliage, secret retreats, good friends, and have even learned a few skills.

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for a person to go outside their comfort zone. Trying new things, going new places, gathering more information -- all of that helps a person grow & avoid stagnation. (Imo, stagnation is like death.)

I walked down an unfamiliar hiking trail, near my apartment....

I learned several new things, following that trail. The first is that the trail loops around, connecting to my street. It also branches off at one point, providing a short cut to my favorite grocery store! I also learned a bit about how to balance & move when the mud underneath you is very slippery.

Most of my ventures into 'try/do new things & leave the comfort zone' aren't nearly so exciting. But exploring my environment and seeking new information leads to interesting results often enough that I've become fond of the practice. I've found abandoned buildings half-swallowed by foliage, secret retreats, good friends, and have even learned a few skills.

I live across from a large park. When I take my dogs for a walk in the park, we always stay on the maintained trails. Many times I have thought about how when I was a kid, I'd have taken my dog all over the place--into the wooded parts, into the creek, under the bridge, etc. We'd know where the best places to look for crawdads were, or where it was deep enough to swim. The last time I roamed off the beaten trails (at another very wooded park in my same city) I was afraid of serial killers the whole time, lol. Glad I had my childhood before I knew about them!  Good for you, being brave!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »
taking my son out all the time.  we're at the park  for 3 hours at a time.  many families stay 20 minutes and pack up ..

and they say 'dont touch the mud! no in the mud!'  maybe they're going to church afterward

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »
I'm a "don't touch the mud!" mom. Sadly, we don't have the margin in our lives to wash the sneakers a lot.  My kids have three pairs of shoes: sneakers (for school), a good pair (for church), and a pair of boots.  If they happen to be wearing the boots, then sure, the mud is fine.

Yesterday I went to the Indian superstore for the first time. Almost all of the items and brands were unfamiliar to me, but it was a lot of fun... felt like I was on a trip to another country! I bought several foods that looked interesting. We tried a couple of them and they were both well priced and pretty good!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:03:48 AM by Poundwise »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
Today blindly I took a leaf of faith from what I could find out and walked into a LesMills CX Workout at our Y. Been looking to do more group stuff as I am getting sick of the Elliptical, treadmill etc.. but also cant do alot of jumping cuz my knees are trash. Anyhow it was humbling to say the least. Thought I was in shape ...ha! And fortunately my bigger fear was at least there were 3 other men in the class. I didnt want to be that guy! Now I gotta get the guts to try another one thats called Body Pump. I'm beat but was worth it and that was after an hour of MOI spin class. (Mounting climbing)

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
found new mechanic closer to job.

so worth it

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
Today blindly I took a leaf of faith from what I could find out and walked into a LesMills CX Workout at our Y. Been looking to do more group stuff as I am getting sick of the Elliptical, treadmill etc.. but also cant do alot of jumping cuz my knees are trash. Anyhow it was humbling to say the least. Thought I was in shape ...ha! And fortunately my bigger fear was at least there were 3 other men in the class. I didnt want to be that guy! Now I gotta get the guts to try another one thats called Body Pump. I'm beat but was worth it and that was after an hour of MOI spin class. (Mounting climbing)

You'll like Body Pump!

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2019, 10:26:11 PM »
On saturday I told 3 cute girls I liked that I loved the courdination of their pink and blue hair since pastels are in and contrasts between primary and secondary pigments are very aesthetic. They took it well. Also my friends pulled me to not run away from them for 5 minutes but i started making weird sounds so they stopped and I bolted.

Um yeah. That was a thing that happened.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 01:18:36 AM »
I take two buses to work in the morning and today I walked from home to the second bus (20 minute walk). I do this all the time when it's summer and I'm well rested but today the weather was quite bad and I still feel a bit meh from having had the flu a few weeks back.

I also sent out my highest side hustle invoice yet earlier this week and the customer paid almost instantly. I put in the work and they agreed on the price so the invoiced amount was fair, but it was still a bit scary to do. I learn a lot from being self employed. I'm out of my comfort zone basically all the time. I also meet tons of new people which I sometimes find difficult. It's a good challenge, the money is a bonus.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:27 AM »
Yesterday I removed the large pile of heavy snow on our parking place with the mega-big snow blower. It is a petrol driven device, owned with 2 other neighbours, with lots of buttons and sliders that need to be in correct position to start. I only use it very occasionally and always forget how it works. As I was home long before DH who usually removes the snow, I had to give it a try. I was able to start it, keep it running and was able to remove the snow. I did however not know that I should have moved the gas slider fully to the left. So I removed heavy snow on half power. Well, most of the job got done. Then I finished it by hand, which I am much more familiar with.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 04:05:17 AM »

I also sent out my highest side hustle invoice yet earlier this week and the customer paid almost instantly. I put in the work and they agreed on the price so the invoiced amount was fair, but it was still a bit scary to do. I learn a lot from being self employed. I'm out of my comfort zone basically all the time. I also meet tons of new people which I sometimes find difficult. It's a good challenge, the money is a bonus.

This is so true! I'm still scared every time I send out the invoices and often I postpone sending out the 'in between' invoices even when my consumers ask for them :p.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 04:41:59 AM »
A lot of customers don't like unknowns. They'll probably be more comfortable if you get into the habit of invoicing immediately (that evening) the work that has been completed.

If its not put off, youll not get a chance to worry about it

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 05:17:18 AM »
A lot of customers don't like unknowns. They'll probably be more comfortable if you get into the habit of invoicing immediately (that evening) the work that has been completed.

I know you are right. It's just something I have to get over with, I'm trying!

It's btw not like they don't know it's coming; we agree on the price before I do the work so they do know what charges they can expect.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
diving into phone calls i would rather not do

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »

I know you are right. It's just something I have to get over with, I'm trying!

It's btw not like they don't know it's coming; we agree on the price before I do the work so they do know what charges they can expect.

I guess I was on the other side today.  Last month, music teacher gave us an invoice for guitar lessons from the 2017-2018 year, surprising me unpleasantly.  Today I finally had time to go over the records; the reason why I thought I'd paid up for the whole year is that he had to cancel so many times that winter due to snow and other reasons, and many of the lessons were never made up.  I tried to be as generous as possible, discounting any lessons that were cancellations on our end, and giving him the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, but I still found I had been overcharged at least $420.

Unfortunately, he didn't like this news, although he said I should pay what I think is fair.  I took $300 off my bill, but I can tell he thinks this was wrong.   

Driving home, I think I know the root of the misunderstanding, but feel that if I bring it up again he'll just argue more.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »
O wow, that's pretty damn late! Is that till the end of 2018 or schoolyear 2017/2018? And sounds like a pretty big overcharge, yuk. Glad he was 'ok' with you paying less, sounds like he's aware of the number of lessons canceled even though he doesn't want to admit.

My 'late' billing was more in the tune of.. a week? I had one client who wanted to wait until his supervisor had given him a pass (in the sense that he only had to pay me if the work was 'succesful'). I asked him to pay me half the money upon delivering the work and now he's gotten his feedback and even though he doesn't have a definite pass yet he told me he'd pay the rest now as I'd been waiting long enough and he agreed that my work had been good quality.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
I just stumbled upon this thread......glad I did.  You have all written some ideas I should consider.  I am recently retired, am very introverted, and live in a somewhat rural area.  So I don't interact or see other people as much as I maybe should.  Most of the time I am comfortable with that.  But sometimes, I would like to challenge myself to do something a little 'outside my comfort zone'.  Ask a casual acquaintance to meet for a coffee/ice cream/chat session.  Make a dessert or casserole and deliver it to a neighbor who is ill.  Join an exercise group/discussion group/book club.  Even book an appointment for a massage or pedicure. 

All of these things sound like something I would like to do on a casual or on-going basis, but they aren't really in my comfort zone.....so I hesitate.  I don't feel deprived or neglected or ignored because I AM okay with the status quo....just kinda wondering out-loud here.  Maybe I need to challenge myself and see if I'm okay with that also.

Thanks for listening and for suggestions.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
This is a great thread and I am going to challenge myself to try something new.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »
I just stumbled upon this thread......glad I did.  You have all written some ideas I should consider.  I am recently retired, am very introverted, and live in a somewhat rural area.  So I don't interact or see other people as much as I maybe should.  Most of the time I am comfortable with that.  But sometimes, I would like to challenge myself to do something a little 'outside my comfort zone'.  Ask a casual acquaintance to meet for a coffee/ice cream/chat session.  Make a dessert or casserole and deliver it to a neighbor who is ill.  Join an exercise group/discussion group/book club.  Even book an appointment for a massage or pedicure. 

All of these things sound like something I would like to do on a casual or on-going basis, but they aren't really in my comfort zone.....so I hesitate.  I don't feel deprived or neglected or ignored because I AM okay with the status quo....just kinda wondering out-loud here.  Maybe I need to challenge myself and see if I'm okay with that also.

Thanks for listening and for suggestions.

In terms of getting the ball rolling socially, I find I can make things happen if I disassociate the scheduling from the planning.  For example, I just invited a new acquaintance over to do crafts with me in a few weeks.  I don't have all my ducks in a row, I haven't thought out what we will eat, whether I  have the materials, etc. When I ask myself if I have the time or resources to do something, I never end up doing it. 

But now that I've extended the invitation, I'm going to have to follow up!  I know I'm going to grumble in the week before, but when it happens I'll be very happy. 

O wow, that's pretty damn late! Is that till the end of 2018 or schoolyear 2017/2018? And sounds like a pretty big overcharge, yuk. Glad he was 'ok' with you paying less, sounds like he's aware of the number of lessons canceled even though he doesn't want to admit.

My 'late' billing was more in the tune of.. a week? I had one client who wanted to wait until his supervisor had given him a pass (in the sense that he only had to pay me if the work was 'succesful'). I asked him to pay me half the money upon delivering the work and now he's gotten his feedback and even though he doesn't have a definite pass yet he told me he'd pay the rest now as I'd been waiting long enough and he agreed that my work had been good quality.

@Hirondelle I'm so glad it worked out for you! You stood up for yourself and got the payment you deserved.

The charge I'm talking about was for the school year 2017/2018. He still has a different memory of our agreement (turns out he charged us for 12 forty-five minute lessons whereas they were supposed to be 12 half hour lessons, but he missed so many that we ended up doing 8 forty-five minute sessions instead. He insists that I agreed to a semester of forty-five minute lessons but I know I did no such thing.) Anyway, it feels good to get the truth out, even on random internet. He's a good teacher, even if flaky, so I'm giving him a pass for now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:36:44 PM by Poundwise »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
@momcpa I think I took a lot of words to say "be impulsive".   Giving yourself license to be impulsive can be quite freeing for those of us who tend to overplan, like myself.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Slept outside on my patio (by myself) last night.

I've camped in wilderness quite a bit,  but this time I just rolled out a mat and sleeping bag straight onto the patio and slept under the stars. It was strangely exhilerating to not be in tent even though I was right near the house (we also live in an animal corridor so the idea that raccoons and bears could be walking underneath you while you sleep is enlivening)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
Slept outside on my patio (by myself) last night.

I've camped in wilderness quite a bit,  but this time I just rolled out a mat and sleeping bag straight onto the patio and slept under the stars. It was strangely exhilerating to not be in tent even though I was right near the house (we also live in an animal corridor so the idea that raccoons and bears could be walking underneath you while you sleep is enlivening)

I have slept under the stars several times, preferably outside the musquito season. But we also often use the tent, mostly because of the musquitoes. We are lucky not to have so many bears in the country and the ones that exist are usually not dangerous. I have seen only one in 20 years, from a distance.

Intend to make a musquito netting for my hammock, which will increase the season that I can use it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »
Since last year, I am getting into eating edible plants. It is always a challenge to pick eat species for the first time.