Author Topic: What gauntlet should I throw down?  (Read 2255 times)

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What gauntlet should I throw down?
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
I need to challenge myself and family in something that is meaningful to us.  We DO save, or should I say not spend money.  We pay more that the minimum on debt.  We don't spend money eating out, buying whats not needed. (I even opted to wear our sons snow boots that he grew out of!)  We both HATE the cold so biking is soooooo out right now as it is too cold!! What do you folks think?  I'd love to be challenged!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What gauntlet should I throw down?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
We pay more that the minimum on debt. 

That seems like a good place to start - get rid of the debt?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
Get a little side hustle action with an income producing hobby perhaps?

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
I like both of these ideas!  We are working on debt and will continue!  Debt free in 2 years is our goal.  A side job with a hobby?  I like sewing but nobody needs my little creations, however, maybe I will try to sell one on Ebay!  I also have one day a week off know that I work 4 10 hr. days.  I can clean, or run errands for folks in the neighborhood.  I'm not too proud to walk a dog even!  I will look into this!  Thanks!!!

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Try Etsy for selling your creations. It's a great website for artsy, homemade things. My sister used to have a business selling beads, yarn, and the like on Etsy.

I vote for aggressively paying down debt. I challenge you to pay it off by the end of this year. Paying interest is such a disastrous thing to do. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

Good luck! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!