Author Topic: Want to lose weight in 2017? Exercise is NOT the answer...  (Read 23200 times)

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
Re: Want to lose weight in 2017? Exercise is NOT the answer...
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
I cut as much sugar as possible from my diet a few years ago and effortlessly dropped from 222 down to 184.  I feel a lot better.
I'm back up around 195 but I know I haven't been at strict with the diet. 
I think that the drop can be maintained.  Once I cut most of the yogurt, jelly, sugary cereal, and ice cream out of my diet my appetite did a 180.
Anyone wanting more encouragement should watch videos by Dr. Lustig on youtube.  Very educational.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »
Posting to follow.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
We now have an epidemic of "lifestyle diseases" in this country (diabetes number one killer, heart disease number two....) that has some direct correlation to the adoption of fat=heart disease/sugar is "good for you"/everyone should consume mostly whole grains, fruits, vegetables/to lose weight eat less and move more.

Please keep us honest when we stray into the hard sciences and we (mostly me) don't know what the hell we are talking about :)

For the umpteenth time, Sugar is Not a Whole Plant Based Food. Stop conflating the two.

Pretty much every single whole plant based doctor/physician/nutritionist recommends limiting the amount of sugar. In fact some of them go as far as recommending total avoidance of sugar.

There is in fact an anti-correlation between eating a diet consisting predominantly of whole plant based foods and incidence of most lifestyle diseases such as diabetes and CVD.

Once again I find it funny how you always keep making the connection from "Sugar is bad" to "All carbs including carbs whole plant foods are bad."

Also, most people who advocate whole plant based foods do NOT advocate eating less/move more and restricting calories strategy for losing weight. In fact, if you have a diet consisting of whole plant based foods, you can eat to satiety without restrictions.

Ultimately it is your body. You are welcome to nourish it however you chose. For me, I will stick to my Whole Plant Based diet.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
Posting to follow. This is interesting information to consider as I retool my diet.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
I'm looking into the "fat fast," which is essentially a 1000 - 1200 calorie per day diet at approximately 80-90% fat content.  Not ready quite yet. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
I'm looking into the "fat fast," which is essentially a 1000 - 1200 calorie per day diet at approximately 80-90% fat content.  Not ready quite yet.

keto diet.  heard good things about it.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
The "fat fast" looks kind of intense and they tell you not to stay on it longer than a few days.  As a prelude, I'm eating lots of macadamias, avocados (avocadoes?  Dan Quayle?), peppers stuffed with sausage & cream cheese, and the like.  The trick will be to limit the portions and therefore the calorie intake.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »
The "fat fast" looks kind of intense and they tell you not to stay on it longer than a few days.  As a prelude, I'm eating lots of macadamias, avocados (avocadoes?  Dan Quayle?), peppers stuffed with sausage & cream cheese, and the like.  The trick will be to limit the portions and therefore the calorie intake.
Hell, that sounds like heaven. Except, as you say, it might be easy to overdo the portions.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:57 AM »
Posting to follow, over Christmas/New Years I read "Eat less live long : get healthy, lose weight and prevent disease with regular intelligent fasting" by Jason Bennett was pretty interesting, will need to look more into the science but was basically about how regular fasting and a plant based diet can help you stay healthy and within an optimal weight range.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
infromsea i agree ... some sugar sources people over look.  its not just added sugar but orange juice and most fruits in general shouldnt be as large a part of our diet as they are.  sugar in most forms is bad and the arguement that fruits are necessary for a balanced diet are mostly untrue as vegetables deliver the same vitamins and nutrients more efficiently and with out the added sugars of fruit.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
What I do want to add though (and this is why I'm looking for the study, to get more insight on the studies protocol and outcomes) is that carbs are not the ONLY thing that can have a glucose/insulin response in the body. Protein does the same thing, stimulates glucose and thus insulin.

Hence, eating a low carb but HIGH protein diet might not have the same efficacy as a low carb/lower protein diet (and this is why I'm looking for the study, to see if they replaced carbs with protein and whether that could have caused the response they "saw").

Protein is "pushed" as hard as sugars/carbs/fruits/vegetables in many cases, the supplement manufactures would love nothing more for us to start an "all protein" based diet (couple that with the FAT KILLS myth) and you've got yourself a new fad diet worth millions!

I'm pretty certain I started from an insulin resistant state, but I am seeing signs that it is starting to change.  Charles Poliquin  essentially says no (or <50g) carbs unless you are already under 10-15% BF, especially if the goal is to lose fat.

I currently shoot for 230P/185C/180F on training days (230/100/180 off days).  Most of the meat I consume is lean like chicken breast and ground turkey.  But I am starting to consider raising the fats while lowering both P and C.

Since protein also raises insulin.  What food choices would you recommend for lowering protein and increasing fat?  Or is it more just dropping the amount of meat consumed while increasing butter, evoo, coconut oil etc etc?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
I added in fruit juice as a substitute for booze when I quit drinking, but I'm ready to get back off it now.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
Count me in on the experiment. After a holiday parade of drunkenness and shite food, and weight near 215# (5'11") I'm going mostly meat/veg and cutting out beer & liquor, just occasional wine. I'll be tapering off as I have some leftovers to finish and I abhor waste, but I'm already most of the way there.

I'm already on a decent fitness routine with 1-2 weekly sessions each of weights and high-temp tabata, but I'm also ramping up for a 1.5-mi test in spring (I hate running, but that lucrative reserve assignment demands compliance).

Goals: mostly just pass my test and feel more comfortable in all my pants, but up to a 20# loss would be good. I haven't been under 195 since the end of a 6-month deployment over a decade ago... my mom thought I looked too skinny, but I felt awesome. Ironically, this was considered "max" during my active-duty days. Maybe I'm big-boned. (Especially my stomach bone... xD)

Enjoy the attempt, lots of low carb options out there these days, just watch the NET carbs vs ACTUAL carbs, it's easy to over-consume carbs playing the net carb game.
Mos def... what I have going for me is, I actually like eating leaves, and have some practice turning green veg into fiber-fat bombs from a past stint as a young, high-energy vegetarian (and a later stab at paleo). Just gotta dust off the recipes and figure out how to placate DW (who could gladly eat starch and beef till she dies) or at least meet her halfway. I do most of the cooking and she can be picky... but I like that kind of challenge.

I actually love club soda too, flavored or not. No joke.

Thanks for the inspiration, BTW. This should be fun.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
What I do want to add though (and this is why I'm looking for the study, to get more insight on the studies protocol and outcomes) is that carbs are not the ONLY thing that can have a glucose/insulin response in the body. Protein does the same thing, stimulates glucose and thus insulin.

Hence, eating a low carb but HIGH protein diet might not have the same efficacy as a low carb/lower protein diet (and this is why I'm looking for the study, to see if they replaced carbs with protein and whether that could have caused the response they "saw").

Protein is "pushed" as hard as sugars/carbs/fruits/vegetables in many cases, the supplement manufactures would love nothing more for us to start an "all protein" based diet (couple that with the FAT KILLS myth) and you've got yourself a new fad diet worth millions!

I'm pretty certain I started from an insulin resistant state, but I am seeing signs that it is starting to change.  Charles Poliquin  essentially says no (or <50g) carbs unless you are already under 10-15% BF, especially if the goal is to lose fat.

I currently shoot for 230P/185C/180F on training days (230/100/180 off days).  Most of the meat I consume is lean like chicken breast and ground turkey.  But I am starting to consider raising the fats while lowering both P and C.

Since protein also raises insulin.  What food choices would you recommend for lowering protein and increasing fat?  Or is it more just dropping the amount of meat consumed while increasing butter, evoo, coconut oil etc etc?

I'd say change up your protein sources: chicken thighs, ground beef, and eggs make up the bulk of my protein. I tend to eat 25% protein, 20% carb, and 55% fat.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I only have thighs for you.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »

Why do you think you are reducing your insulin resistance (not challenging in order to refute your ideas, genuinely interested)? Are you testing your glucose levels? It's so cheap to do, I think it's one of the most important metrics/tests that we could do, that most of us don't do with any regularity. My do would not prescribe a glucometer and strips for me (won't run HR-CRP or A1C for me either, damn military medicine, they focus on treating after disease, almost zero effort to prevent future disease) so I said screw it and bout the walgreens cheapo model, very happy with it! (gonna pay out of pocket for A1C and CRP too!).

No, I am not testing my glucose levels, but I have considered it.  Maybe that will be my next step before I change anything.

My main reasoning is increased energy levels.  No longer feel the need to sleep in the afternoon.  I don't have cravings for sweets/carbs like I used to.  The main thing I attribute this to is change in diet.  Exercise levels have stayed about the same and my sleep patterns have stayed the same.  From what I understand about insulin resistance all the above are signs of improvement.

Edit to add:  All with the assumption that I was insulin resistant to begin.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:50:23 AM by Cromacster »

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Here to agree with the OP.  Haven't read all the comments. 

I've always thought about it with this analogy...

Suppose every morning I'm going to take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with sand, go through my house with it, and then spread the sand all over.  What's the best way to clean it up?  The only rational answer is you don't f@#ing throw a five gallon bucket of sand all of your house.  You could spend all day trying to clean it and there'll still be sand in in our toes and in your bed. 

Your body is another house, and you can't throw crap all over your body and think you can just run it off.  The only rational way to keep a healthy weight is to put approximately the correct amount of food in each day. 

Exercise is to 95% to keep your heart and lungs strong and to maintain a strong and flexible body, and 5% to determine your weight.  Weigh is pretty much all food choices. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
Here to agree with the OP.  Haven't read all the comments. 

I've always thought about it with this analogy...

Suppose every morning I'm going to take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with sand, go through my house with it, and then spread the sand all over.  What's the best way to clean it up?  The only rational answer is you don't f@#ing throw a five gallon bucket of sand all of your house.  You could spend all day trying to clean it and there'll still be sand in in our toes and in your bed. 

Your body is another house, and you can't throw crap all over your body and think you can just run it off.  The only rational way to keep a healthy weight is to put approximately the correct amount and type of food in each day. 

Exercise is to 95% to keep your heart and lungs strong and to maintain a strong and flexible body, and 5% to determine your weight.  Weigh is pretty much all food choices.

fixed that for you.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »

I was watching a symposium presentation the other day and one of the panelists suggested a check for insulin resistance.

"Stand up, walk towards a wall. If your belly is the first thing to contact the wall, you are insulin resistant".

Lucky me, I've got a long nose....    :)

From my personal observations, a great portion of the population is insulin resistant (based on the above metric).

Well my toes touch before my stomach, but stomach is not far behind >.<

I'm going to give it a go for the next 7 days and keep my carbs <50.  I will keep workouts and sleep etc the same.

My breakdown will be about 235P/40C/240F, which is about 3300 calories

I'll keep you posted on how I feel.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »

I was watching a symposium presentation the other day and one of the panelists suggested a check for insulin resistance.

"Stand up, walk towards a wall. If your belly is the first thing to contact the wall, you are insulin resistant".

From my personal observations, a great portion of the population is insulin resistant (based on the above metric).

I'm going to give it a go for the next 7 days and keep my carbs <50.  I will keep workouts and sleep etc the same.

you could get your carbs from better sources like beans and lentils vs breads and grains.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »

you could get your carbs from better sources like beans and lentils vs breads and grains.

I don't currently eat breads.  I eat black beans with lunch and white rice after a workout (the only grain I consume).  Most of my carbs come from applesauce (no sugar added) pre workout, post workout shake, then rice post workout dinner.  On non workout days I don't eat any of that and am relatively low carb those days (100 or so).

The plan I have been following has made me feel very good overall, feel great when working out, and I recover quickly.  I've lost about 8 lbs doing this over 2 months.  Mostly looking to see if the low carb will speed up the fat loss while still allowing me to workout at the same level.

I'll see how the week goes.  After the week if I feel wrecked I will add small amounts of carbs in around my workouts and try to find the level I need to feel good while remaining relatively low carb.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
check out 4 hour body.  it works for rapid fat loss.  its a slow carb diet.  basically meat beans and veggies no starches or dairy. really cuts fat fast IMO. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »

I don't currently eat breads.  I eat black beans with lunch and white rice after a workout (the only grain I consume).  Most of my carbs come from applesauce (no sugar added) pre workout, post workout shake, then rice post workout dinner.  On non workout days I don't eat any of that and am relatively low carb those days (100 or so).

The plan I have been following has made me feel very good overall, feel great when working out, and I recover quickly.  I've lost about 8 lbs doing this over 2 months.  Mostly looking to see if the low carb will speed up the fat loss while still allowing me to workout at the same level.

I'll see how the week goes.  After the week if I feel wrecked I will add small amounts of carbs in around my workouts and try to find the level I need to feel good while remaining relatively low carb.

Well, I made it 6 days with carbs below 40g everyday.  Carbs are going back today.

Overall I felt fine, down about 2lbs, though I've been trending at roughly 1lb per week on my diet before this.  Only problems was my workouts.  I was performing at what I would normally expect, but I have been getting really bad headaches when my heart rate gets really high.  So today I'm adding my pre and post workout carbs and hopefully that will fix the issue.

I've been doing some reading on keto diets and some don't recommend high intensity workouts while very low carb, who knows.  For now I will stick with my workout targeted carbs and keep going with my plan.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
I started 2016 at 168.

I started this year at 168 due to water weight from xmas, but quickly dropped to 164, which is where I have been for the last 6 months.  So in 2016, I lost 4 lbs. 

On the one hand I only lost 4 lbs in 2016.  OTOH, as long as I kept it off, I am happy with that. 

My goal is 155-160 range, so not quite 10% of bodyweight.  I was 150 before kids at age 24, but I don't think I want to maintain at that weight (I am 5'8") at this point.

I am doing a no-sugar-added, mostly no grain, no alcohol January.  I am a vegetarian and eat fairly healthy overall, but my big weakness is sugar.  I have eaten popcorn once, and got stuff at a work lunch eating a bun, as there were no vegetarian options.  Its been a week so far (I actually started on the day my kids went back to school, not Jan 1).

I do yoga 2 or 3 times a week, and walk daily in theory, but the weather has been rough so I've missed a few days.  We do have a treadmill (H uses it daily) but I hate it. 

By eliminating all added sugars and grains, I've been around 100 g of carbs a day.  That is high for some of you low carb meat eaters, but I was typically at 200g carbs or above, so its very low for me.  Fat has been ~120 g, protein ~100 g.  To get protein that high I have to eat fake meat and dairy.

Typical food day: 
B:  3 hard boiled eggs, hummus
S (sometimes eaten mid morning, sometimes as part of either B or L):  cottage cheese and/or almonds
L:  salad with oil/vinegar dressing, fake meat
S- boiled egg, string cheese, etc
D- something like bean soup and salad, or baked potatoes and veg stir fry with tofu, or steamed brocolli and tofu.

I didn't feel a "fog" lowering my carbs, but OTOH I didn't go super low. 

I'm curious if I drop weight faster while eating the same calories- I eat about 2000 a day.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
I lost about 30 pounds over one year by doing the following:

1. Don't eat junk food except for chocolate and ice cream few times a week.
2. Eat meat once a week, usually salmon or chicken.
3. Exercise an 1.5-3 hours a week (treadmill, weightlifting)
4. If I get hungry, eat a fruit.

I also seem to eat about half to 2/3 of what an average adult in US eats. I still drink diet soda every day, and eat pretty much whatever I want except in much lower quantities than most people.

I think we over-think this, but that's just my experience. Maybe my appetite is just set to be less than average so I can't comment on your all's experiences.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
Just wanted to check and let you know the status.

I spent the whole of Christmas/New Year week to go thru Dr Jason Fung's 6 part series (close to probably 8 hours). Felt I was going back to school taking notes. Lots of good info. After going thru this, I am convinced that the harmonal theory of obesity is right.

I decided to also get his book (not very useful if you have sat thru the series). I ended up fasting Mon/Wed/Fri for 24 hours. During fast, I just have black coffee and water.

As far as food goes, I have cut down the wheat. Lots more salads than before. Also, any mid meal snacks have been stopped. Not really counting carbs

I started the program on January 1st weighing in at 216 lbs(a lot more than the 207 I thought I was), and at least a couple of those were added over Christmas/New Year party.

Jan 01st: 216 lbs
Jan 07th: 212 lbs
Jan 14th: 210 lbs
One major milestone is to go below the 200lbs barrier (I wonder why we are so fixated on round numbers?)

My plan is to continue this till I hit about 180 lbs (I am 5' 9") at the rate of a pound or two a week.

I do expect to hit a plateau sometime. I am still thinking what the best strategy for that scenario. Maybe a 48 hour fast with one more 24 hour fast in the week.

Will check back in a month or so.

Edit: Forgot to add, that as I enter the third week of fasting, my appetite is dropping.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:05:10 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
Just wanted to check and let you know the status.

I spent the whole of Christmas/New Year week to go thru Dr Jason Fung's 6 part series (close to probably 8 hours). Felt I was going back to school taking notes. Lots of good info. After going thru this, I am convinced that the harmonal theory of obesity is right.

I decided to also get his book (not very useful if you have sat thru the series). I ended up fasting Mon/Wed/Fri for 24 hours. During fast, I just have black coffee and water.

As far as food goes, I have cut down the wheat. Lots more salads than before. Also, any mid meal snacks have been stopped. Not really counting carbs

I started the program on January 1st weighing in at 216 lbs(a lot more than the 207 I thought I was), and at least a couple of those were added over Christmas/New Year party.

Jan 01st: 216 lbs
Jan 07th: 212 lbs
Jan 14th: 210 lbs
One major milestone is to go below the 200lbs barrier (I wonder why we are so fixated on round numbers?)

My plan is to continue this till I hit about 180 lbs (I am 5' 9") at the rate of a pound or two a week.

I do expect to hit a plateau sometime. I am still thinking what the best strategy for that scenario. Maybe a 48 hour fast with one more 24 hour fast in the week.

Will check back in a month or so.

Edit: Forgot to add, that as I enter the third week of fasting, my appetite is dropping.

Kudos to you! I will definitely be looking into fasting. I have noticed when I cut back on anything, be that meat, soda, sugar, etc., not only does my appetite become smaller, but I also do not crave those things. I also notice the longer I eat less calories, the less I actually want (appetite).

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
Thanks Tim,

I ended up buying the Obesity Code book.

It is actually quite tough to cut wheat since breads (roti, chapati, naan) are such a staple of Indian food. I ended up more  brown rice. I am doing a very unscientific version of the diet, since I do not measure anything and do not have any idea of how much I am eating carbs/protein/fat.

Lots of good advice about the plateaus. I will definitely bug you again when I hit it.

Thanks for the pointer for the podcast.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
Socca bread or chips is what i use for thin crust pizza/ chips / burger  buns.  its made with garbanzo bean flower and water.  to make chips i just use a griddle and make them like pancakes then dehydrate in a low temp oven.  but there are many different variations i use to creat different things

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
my personal favorite diet is Tim Ferris's 4 hour body.

Meat
Beans
Veggies

only dairy allowed is cottage cheese
only alcohol allowed is 2 glasses of red wine

6 days on with one cheat day. ... if you're starting it for the first time you can expect to drop 5 lbs per week.  no counting calories basically eat as much of those 3 things as you want but limit your fats.

works really well and i've come up with many recipes that fit it.  once i reached goal weight i add back in cheese ... its so damn good.
I'm trying to get through this whole thread and I'm finding it very interesting and helpful. But, had to stop because the above seems so simple and easy and it just might work for me. What about fruit?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »

Meat
Beans
Veggies

6 days on with one cheat day. ... if you're starting it for the first time you can expect to drop 5 lbs per week.  no counting calories basically eat as much of those 3 things as you want but limit your fats.

works really well and i've come up with many recipes that fit it.  once i reached goal weight i add back in cheese ... its so damn good.
I'm trying to get through this whole thread and I'm finding it very interesting and helpful. But, had to stop because the above seems so simple and easy and it just might work for me. What about fruit?

Its supposed to be little to no fruit, but I steadily lost 1# per week on that diet while eating 2 servings a day of whole fruit (no juice, smoothies etc)

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

Meat
Beans
Veggies

Its supposed to be little to no fruit, but I steadily lost 1# per week on that diet while eating 2 servings a day of whole fruit (no juice, smoothies etc)
hmm, might have to do some more research on it then. I have tried to do low glycemic diets in the past and they work, but I find that I really miss some things that they don't allow- like oranges, bananas, melon, sweet potatoes. I do well staying away from wheat and sugar, but when my fruits and veggies start being restricted I feel deprived.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
I agree with the fasting as a way to train ourselves to not just eat at the first hunger pang. The nature of my work often forces me to go with little to no food for 14+ hours a day, and now I rarely feel hunger. I do also have to remind myself (or more accurately, my wife) to eat. It has more importantly made me be more selective about what to eat since high-sugar food makes me dizzy/nauseated.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2017, 04:55:46 AM »
It's been almost a month with no wheat for me.

Gotta say it's made no difference in how I feel. Utterly none. Which I kind of expected because we always only ate whole wheat stuff, and usually sprouted or sourdough, I was never loading up on refined flour.

But it does seem that I eat less if I'm not eating wheat since it's one less yummy thing to tempt me. Just nothing magical about wheat itself.

I am going to try the fathead pizza this week. It will be super expensive compared to regular pizza. Not going to be a regular weekly dinner.

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »
informsea your journey looks very much like mine.  I went from 280lbs to 180lbs over 2 years and am now sitting at a comfortable 208 and working my diet to get back under 200lbs.  The weight gain was very intentional in order to build muscle.  When I took off the 100lbs I did it in a very catabolic way (i.e. lots and lots of running).  I don't know if you have read any of Anthony Colpo's work but I have found him to be the most rational.  His book is "The Fat Loss Bible" and can be found on anthonycolpo.com.  He cites lots and lots of studies in his work and is very well researched.  I went through several of the authors that you posted and have found that the work by Jimmy Moore, Gary Lustig, and especially Gary Taubes to be extremely suspect. 

No matter what in the end eating a natural whole food diet is always healthy.  The less processed crap the better you will feel and the easier it is to drop weight.  I haven't had a soda in 8 years and I have gotten my family to cook much more in that time.  My wife came on board and instantly shed 20lbs.  All she did was change her diet. 

I hope this thread can convince at least one person to change their diet.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2017, 07:30:55 AM »
It's been almost a month with no wheat for me.

Gotta say it's made no difference in how I feel. Utterly none. Which I kind of expected because we always only ate whole wheat stuff, and usually sprouted or sourdough, I was never loading up on refined flour.

But it does seem that I eat less if I'm not eating wheat since it's one less yummy thing to tempt me. Just nothing magical about wheat itself.

I am going to try the fathead pizza this week. It will be super expensive compared to regular pizza. Not going to be a regular weekly dinner.

Wheat doesn't effect everyone negatively.  Many people can eat wheat based products and have no ill effects.  The bigger issue for many people is the amount consumed and for those who are insulin resistant effects it can have if they are trying to lose weight.

Wheat doesn't bother me and I eat it probably once a week, usually in pizza form.  My opinion, if it doesn't bother you, have real pizza.  Just don't have it too often and eat properly in between.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
Hi all,
Haven't been on the forum much lately but wanted to mention in today's brief pass that I've been working on the diet and I'm feeling pretty good so far. I'm not being super-scientific about it, but my focus has been on as much whole food as possible, more healthy fats, and lots of leafy greens. I try to stay more on the poultry side than red meats without being exclusive, and I mostly get thighs and full-fat ground meats for satiety. It definitely takes less food to feel full, I rarely feel tempted to go back for seconds, and I don't wake up with hunger pangs like when I tried paleo (probably because I was biased heavily toward leaner meats at the time).

Here's a fun thing I tried, liked, and have repeated: fry a few pieces of bacon in a griddle or oversized pan. Eat bacon while frying a couple big handfuls of spring mix in the bacon fat. Eat resulting chips. Fry an egg in it if still hungry. <3

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
Weight over the past year + result of our typical January diet.

Haselbacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. My diet was kind of getting out of control at the end of last year.

With all this information here, I cut all sugars and sweeteners. I read some of the books recommended and changed my diet to some kind of slow carb diet (Tim Ferriss).

I lost 10lbs (now 180lbs) the last 2 months and feel great! Especially I am not hungry anymore. No matter how much carbs I ate, after 2h I was hungry again. But not anymore!

Thanks again everyone for the input here! It helped me a lot!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!