Author Topic: Walk a marathon, pack lunches and cancel  (Read 8840 times)

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Walk a marathon, pack lunches and cancel
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
Hi,

I just registered to make public my commitment for this week:
  • Walk a marathon (42Kms)
  • Pack lunches every work day
  • Cancel my credit card

I am obese, expend more than what I earn and I am not happy because of that. So it is time I take action. I am taking the AA approach, one week at a time...

Roberto.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Walk a marathon, pack lunches and cancel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
Are you planning to walk the marathon in one hit, or to walk the equivalent of a marathon spread over several days?

If you're not fit / don't currently exercise you might find it more realistic to spread the 42km out over the whole week.

But also: welcome to the forum! I admire your commitment to change your ways for the better :-)

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Walk a marathon, pack lunches and cancel credit card
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:40:28 AM »
Hi,

Today I walked 7.1Kms, paid-off the outstanding $2,138.20 on my credit card and canceled it, so I don't use it anymore.

I normally commute to work by train, which stops at 10 stations each way. Today I walked 2 stations out of the 10 stations each way, 7.1 Kms in total. Even better, the return train ticket is $2 cheaper, $5 instead of $7, so a $10 per week savings or $400+ per year.

I am motivated, I can see the benefits. Will do the same tomorrow.

Roberto.

@HappierAtHome: The 42Kms is spread over a week, not in one go. Thank you for the encouragement.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »
Well done, Roberto! I've started walking to work, and while I don't need to lose weight, I can definitely feel the benefits as well. Keep at it!

avonlea

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:45:03 AM »
Hi, Roberto.  Congrats on the paying off the balance on your credit card!  It's great to hear that you are so motivated to continue walking each day. I'm going to copycat HappierAtHome here and also say welcome to the forum. :)

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:47:19 AM »
Cool beans. Have you considered cycling all the way and saving the rest of the train fare?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:46 AM »
Congrats Roberto! One day at a time is exactly the way to approach it! Nice job on paying off the credit card!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »
You are killing it! 7km a day is fantastic :-)

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
Walking is great thinking time

avonlea

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
How did it go today, Roberto?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
Great to hear, best of luck, and keep it up!

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:50 AM »
Hi

Yesterday I walked 3.6Kms and today 8.5Kms; 19.2Kms for the week, averaging 6.4Kms per day. I am in track for the 42Kms this week.

I have packed my lunch for the first 3 days of this week, and inspired by the "leave your wallet at home" challenge, I left my cash and debit card at home so I have not spent $1 apart from the train fare.

It also cost me $8,000 to own a car: $4,000 in loan repayments, $2,000 for insurances & registration and $2,000 in gas (petrol). I now have to get rid of the car loan ($13,000 in total).

@warfreak2: I will ride to work. I will loose 10-15kgs before, so the bike doesn't break when I sit on it. :-). I have given myself 16 weeks for that.

Roberto.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:38:09 AM by Roberto »

avonlea

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »
Awesome, Roberto!

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:20 AM »
Very good job!  I like how you have broken off chunks of your train ride to walk and shooting for the weekly total.  Excellent plan.  And, I bet your home made lunches are way better than what you were doing.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 05:33:07 AM »
@warfreak2: I will ride to work. I will loose 10-15kgs before, so the bike doesn't break when I sit on it. :-). I have given myself 16 weeks for that.
Badass! Enjoy your incoming health and wealth.

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:45 AM »
Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up. I love my commuting time so much more when I'm on my bike or feet. Enjoy it.

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »
I walked 7Kms more today; 26.2Kms in 4 days.

Roberto.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:00:50 AM »
This thread is seriously cool. Keep it up Roberto, you are my "Reality Internet" fix. Congratulations on your resolve and all the good things undoubtedly coming your way!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
Go Roberto!

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
Hi,

Only walked 3Kms today :-(

I need to add 14Kms during the weekend to achieve the 42Kms for the week.

Roberto.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
Hi,

Only walked 3Kms today :-(

I need to add 14Kms during the weekend to achieve the 42Kms for the week.

Roberto.

Bah, that's nothing on your days off.  You'll definitely be able to get your goal.  Congrats on a great week of badassity!

avonlea

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
Roberto, were you in the habit of walking daily before making this goal?  If not, don't be so hard on yourself.  You are forming a new habit.  3 km is nothing to sneeze at.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
My advice is also not to be too hard on yourself and maybe not even to set goals however you have to keep up the forward momentum. Walking is great. Do that until you get bored or need more exercise. If you don't make the 42km its cool just sort of plan to do it one day.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »
I've said it before and I will say it again, audiobooks and walking are a perfect combination.

nothing quite like deciding to go round the block again because you need to finish a chapter

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
Hi

I walked 8.5Kms today or 38.1Kms so far; 3.9Kms to go. Thank you everyone for your support and comments, it's been great :-)

@avonlea, It is first time I walked that much in a week. I walked 14Kms in 4 hours once during a fun run, but it is definitively something I am not used to.

@Annamal, I listen to a couple of podcasts while walking but I ran out of episodes, so it was music today. Any good mustachian-like podcast or audio books you would recommend?

Roberto.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
Hi Roberto, it depends on your tastes (audiobooks are my big non-mustachian weakness) but my two favourite podcasts are:

Welcome to Nightvale (like a cross between Lake Woebegone and Cthulu) https://soundcloud.com/nightvaleradio and
The Bugle https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle (John Oliver from the daily show and Andy Zaltzman commenting on current events, making godawful puns and generally behaving like hyperarticulate 8 myear olds).

I like the version of Bridge of birds on this forgotten classics podcast
http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.co.nz/

My partner adores the history of Rome podcast that he listens to(he's about 100 years away from the fall of rome).

You might want to try your local library system ( mine has free audiobooks but they're mostly Australasian...thus my expensive American audiobook habit).

I'm sure there are some great financial podcasts out there.

wesley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »
Roberto, you are a legend!

How are the financial goals coming along ?

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
A second for the Bugle podcasts--the old ones are still available online so when you run out of new ones you can hear their take on old news. Pretty funny. If you like that you'll probably like "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" (NPR news quiz). I've got a few more "random learning" podcasts, but no financial ones (that are free).

You could also listen to things like language learning audiobooks.

Congrats on the walking and welcome to the forum! I just recently started biking to work--helps my mood and my appetite (I don't want to eat as much junk, though I do get hungry). It's amazing how out of shape I got without realizing it until I started exercising.

ETA: I just thought of a podcast--Marketplace (or Marketplace Money) from APM is pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:36:11 PM by Mori »

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
This is an inspirational thread -- way to go, Roberto!

I know that I would much rather walk than ride my bike, only because I am convinced I will get hit by a car if I ride in the bike lane. If I walk I can stay on the sidewalk where it is at least a *little* bit safer. Now that you've posted about your walking challenge I feel like getting out to do some walking too!

+1 for audio books and podcasts!

Roberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 05:37:14 AM »
Hi

An update and a new challenge...

I have done well during on the past two weeks on the financials and exercise objectives:
  • Paid-off credit card
    Made my lunch 8 days out of 10
    Walked a lot (60Kms)
    Have not purchased anything except for the essentials, groceries, bills, mortgage, insurance

But I am not happy with my food intake, I am still eating very bad (e.g. cookies, chocolates, candy), and very large portions of rice, pasta, bread.

So I challenge myself to not eat any cookies, chocolates or candy for the month of April, while I continue with the packed lunches, spending on essentials only and walking 100Kms.

I am also putting my 4wd for sale to pay-off the loan and get an smaller family car. It will be a bit tight for me, so another reason to slim down.

Roberto.

avonlea

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »
You've made great progress, Roberto!  I like your challenges for April, too. :)

Great idea to sell the 4wd and pay off debt!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »
I like this strategy... I might have to copy you and make some weekly challenges of my own!! Very impressive!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!