Author Topic: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies  (Read 89369 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
I am going to use up my dried rose petals for rose petal sugar scrubs with a mix of rose and vanilla oils for christmas gifts.  I have had those petals for way too long.....

Wow sounds great. And how very Mustachian of you to make gifts with what you already have :).
My mom makes body scrubs with olive oil, sugar, and lemon verbana from the garden . lovely gift.

Nancy

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
I'm crocheting a scrap lap blanket with the rest of my worsted weight wool.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »
Almost 3 years ago, I bought minky dot, flannel, and blanket binding to make my son a blanket.  I finally pulled that out tonight and made him his big blanket and travel blanket.  He was so excited!  His big brother has identical ones, just in blue instead of green.  I also made some repairs to costumes the boys had, so those are fully functional again.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
bag of rose petals gone!! Half bottle of grapeseed oil gone! half bottle of rose essential oil gone!! I ended up with 8 jars of scrub now to get rid of that non dairy creamer making vegan hot chocolate mix for the relatives with allergies!

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
I just pulled out some fabric scraps my SIL have me months ago.  I've picked out the more Christmassy patterns and colours and am going to sew a garland for the mantlepiece.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
bag of rose petals gone!! Half bottle of grapeseed oil gone! half bottle of rose essential oil gone!! I ended up with 8 jars of scrub now to get rid of that non dairy creamer making vegan hot chocolate mix for the relatives with allergies!

Nice!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2015, 03:27:25 AM »
Finished a top and a dress. Anyone else get 90% through a project and then can't be bothered to hem it?!

Although it was nice when I found the top - completely constructed apart from the hem, so whipped it through and new top for the weekend! I don't even remember sewing the rest of it, I thought I had cut it out and nothing more.

Wore both at the weekend, and they certainly filled a hole in my wardrobe. Got a busy few weeks though, so even though I have lots of enthusiasm and some easy projects already cut out, I'm not sure I'm going to have time to finish anything :(

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Check the ingredients list on that "non-dairy creamer." It's rarely vegan. (I'm saying this as someone who was once very sensitive to lactose) By "non-dairy" they mean "very diluted dairy" usually (as in, dairy is an ingredient but not the whole thing).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »
Check the ingredients list on that "non-dairy creamer." It's rarely vegan. (I'm saying this as someone who was once very sensitive to lactose) By "non-dairy" they mean "very diluted dairy" usually (as in, dairy is an ingredient but not the whole thing).

Honestly, and you can dislike it for me, but I don't care that much. If I'm going to make the effort of making hot chocolate mix as a gift, don't get mad at me if I mess up on your self-imposed rules a tad. Unless it's for medical reasons, it's a lifestyle choice and sometimes you smile and say thank you and let it go.

Says someone who HATES lasagna, and keeps being served it at various people's homes. I smile and say thank you and let it go.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »

Honestly, and you can dislike it for me, but I don't care that much. If I'm going to make the effort of making hot chocolate mix as a gift, don't get mad at me if I mess up on your self-imposed rules a tad. Unless it's for medical reasons, it's a lifestyle choice and sometimes you smile and say thank you and let it go.

Says someone who HATES lasagna, and keeps being served it at various people's homes. I smile and say thank you and let it go.
I'm not a fan of shitting my pants.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »

See, that's a medical reason. I'll probably avoid food gifts for you, I don't enjoy poisoning my friends after all :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

See, that's a medical reason. I'll probably avoid food gifts for you, I don't enjoy poisoning my friends after all :)

Why go thru "the effort of making hot chocolate as a gift" then?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »

Why go thru "the effort of making hot chocolate as a gift" then?

I'm not. I think onehair is the one doing that. Good idea though.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »
That was actually directed to the person making the mix. I might add to the poster that it was specified as "for relatives with allergies". But it doesn't really matter what I hav to say on this thread, so I'll excuse myself.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
That was actually directed to the person making the mix. I might add to the poster that it was specified as "for relatives with allergies". But it doesn't really matter what I hav to say on this thread, so I'll excuse myself.

Just goes to show that I don't think well when I'm hungry, and my dinner is still cooking. :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »

Just goes to show that I don't think well when I'm hungry, and my dinner is still cooking. :)

:) same here

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2015, 05:21:53 AM »
I have to agree that "If I'm going to make the effort of making hot chocolate mix as a gift" I'll put whatever the hell I want in it... isn't really the spirit of gift-giving.

Don't be a martyr with the homemade gift thing. If you can't be bothered to put the effort in, just don't. Buy something else, or just don't give a gift. But don't make non-vegan hot chocolate mix and call it vegan hot chocolate mix just because you think someone's dietary restrictions are stupid. Label it honestly and let them throw the stuff you won't eat away instead.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I never said they were stupid I said they have various allergies and treating them as nut free vegan seems to be the best course for them!!  I usually keep a list of who can't have what and i was attempting to use up leftovers to make space in my craft corner.   Also I have made them vegan drink mixes in the past and they have enjoyed them.  Where did I say that was stupid?  Since I made a batch for my son who cannot have dairy and had the leftover ingredients I was going to make a batch for them as well.
  this thread is about getting rid of leftover crafting supplies isn't it? Food gifts can be sort of considered crafting so I thought.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
I never said they were stupid I said they have various allergies and treating them as nut free vegan seems to be the best course for them!!  I usually keep a list of who can't have what and i was attempting to use up leftovers to make space in my craft corner.   Also I have made them vegan drink mixes in the past and they have enjoyed them.  Where did I say that was stupid?  Since I made a batch for my son who cannot have dairy and had the leftover ingredients I was going to make a batch for them as well.
  this thread is about getting rid of leftover crafting supplies isn't it? Food gifts can be sort of considered crafting so I thought.
I think the "you think it's stupid" was directed at Sibley saying they'd ignore dietary restrictions that are choices rather than medically imposed.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:52 AM »
Yes, my comments were directed at sibley, who wants to give people things they have said they don't want. It's like giving a die-hard country music fan an R&B CD for Christmas because, I mean, it's just personal preference, it's not life threatening.

Isn't gift giving about trying to give something you think they would like? As opposed to something they have specifically stated they don't?

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »
well if i jumped the gun I do apologize to you both.  I will check the non dairy creamer for its ingredients worst case scenario I will go to Whole Foods or online to get some truly non dairy powdered creamer. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »
I am moving again, so have been going through everything again.  I donated another half of what's left of my sewing and art supplies. So I am down to a medium sized bags worth.
I am planning to make a fair amount of Christmas gifts this year, so am using up more supplies there. Mostly illustrations and paintings, but also some jewelry. Also, gave my 94y.o. grandmother her bday gift this week . a framed mixed media piece, with paper collage and oil pastels. Needless to say she loves it. Handmade gifts are great for people who have everything or are hard to shop for. Plus its more fun for me, I hate shopping.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
I was given a foamboard H by a coworker and I am mulling over things to do with it now.  It can't be drilled into or cut without special equipment.  I am pondering pulling out my stencils and painting on it or gluing things to it if it will hold glue.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »
Sold my old scrapbooking stuff as I'm not going to use it. Nice to get it out of the house.

Need to sew DS a bunch of fleece pants. His are getting too small and I have so much fleece I don't know what to do with. Win. Normally I don't bother making kids clothes because second hand they are so cheap it's often not worth it. But this way he can have some fun colours.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2016, 07:15:35 AM »
Finished up a dress I had cut out. Fabric was bought in February last year, so it was due!

New year, same problem: everything I want to make requires one purchase to be able to finish it - lining, or a zip, or a different colour thread. I am being very strict about working through what I have, but I am running out of projects for which I have everything I need. I guess that's partly the aim of this thread, so yay!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
I've been very intentional about using scraps for projects lately.  It isn't using up much, since they are tiny pieces, but it has made me happy to have them, and it is using up SOME.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
I bought fabric for two new button down shirts (boo) but was able to use up some random interfacing instead of buying new. Plus I had some nice white muslin lying around which I used as the collar bands since my shirting fabric was too crinkly to be easy to work with. Nearly perfect color match!  Plus, I'm almost done with two dress shirts in a single weekend, even with redesigning the sleeves and cuffs. For me, that's lightning fast!  Working two pieces at once really speeds things up once you're past the cutting out phase! 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »
I don't know if this would work for you, but . . . .
One year DD's legs grew so fast that pants that were really long in September were too short in January.  I got matching cotton ribbing and added cuffs.  This works if 1. the child is OK with cuffs and 2.  the main reason the pants don't fit is length. 

Need to sew DS a bunch of fleece pants. His are getting too small and I have so much fleece I don't know what to do with. Win. Normally I don't bother making kids clothes because second hand they are so cheap it's often not worth it. But this way he can have some fun colours.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
Compiling a lot of my smaller sketches and collages into a book - I like to rip about half the pages of fashion books out &  add to them - also drawing/painting/collaging into the fashion photos themselves.

frugalfanny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »
On Saturday I went through my unfinished knitting and crochet projects and either frogged them or bound them off. Those scarves were long enough, damn it. Now I can move on to something new. I sold a bunch of yarn in a flea market this past summer but I still have a 30 quart container of the good stuff.

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
I make soap. I have a bunch of 1 oz. and 2 oz. bottles of fragrance oils that I won't be using in my soap line long-term that just take up space. I'm going to make my next 10 or so batches of soap with blends of these little bottles to get them out of my way. Should eat into the stock of oils, too, although those will be replaced to keep the side hustle going.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2016, 03:23:44 AM »
I've been very intentional about using scraps for projects lately.  It isn't using up much, since they are tiny pieces, but it has made me happy to have them, and it is using up SOME.
It's so satisfying using up scraps, isn't it?

I just turned some dress leftovers into a lovely pair of underwear! My favourite design was discontinued so I made my own pattern. I cannot wait for the spring to come because then I can wear the dress I made with matching undies! I'm gonna feel so glam (and a bit ridiculous!).

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
I'm new to Mustachianism and have taken a different approach to my quilting/crafting stash. I'm looking at it like this; I bought all that stuff during a time when I spent money a lot more freely, and now I've mended (see what I did there?!) my ways. Because I do not expect to return to that level of spending on hobbies, I now look at my stash as something to be used and appreciated carefully so that I can make it last as long as possible. I bought all this stuff because I loved or liked it at one time, so there's very little that I'd want to just get rid of. And I'm not in a terrible rush to sew up 20 quilt tops right now just to get it out of here. More like I will slowly savor it because the days of dropping $50 at the quilt shop on a new fabric line are long gone.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »
If you love it, and have space for it, keep it.  If a bit of it is "meh", that is what would be good to donate for someone else who will love it.  If it all makes you rub your hands in glee and go "yes, my precious" then it is worth keeping.

I have been assessing my yarn and fiber stash.  What I see is that my tastes in yarn have changed, I am now an official yarn snob.  Natural fibers all the way (almost) - and a lot of them will be hand-spun, my fiber stash is very pettable.  So the cheap yarns (not cheap in dollars, necessarily, but cheap in quality) are gone, and the yummy yarns (including some synthetics) are staying.  My goal this year is to finish all WIPs and not buy anything new, unless it is for some specific project that nothing in the stash will be good for.

Really, I am serious, I am knitting hand-warmers for two people from stash - one pair is with a nice sock yarn that feels dead when I compare it to the hand-spun sock yarn I am using for the other pair - it is alive, it has bounce and energy and is going to make an amazing pair of hand-warmers.
I'm new to Mustachianism and have taken a different approach to my quilting/crafting stash. I'm looking at it like this; I bought all that stuff during a time when I spent money a lot more freely, and now I've mended (see what I did there?!) my ways. Because I do not expect to return to that level of spending on hobbies, I now look at my stash as something to be used and appreciated carefully so that I can make it last as long as possible. I bought all this stuff because I loved or liked it at one time, so there's very little that I'd want to just get rid of. And I'm not in a terrible rush to sew up 20 quilt tops right now just to get it out of here. More like I will slowly savor it because the days of dropping $50 at the quilt shop on a new fabric line are long gone.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2016, 08:19:09 AM »

Great! Sounds lovely, enjoy :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »

Great! Sounds lovely, enjoy :)

I totally agree with your view - however, I do find that my interests and likes and dislikes do change over time. My crafts involve jewelry making, photography and for a while I made tile coaster sets with a decoupage technique - I'm over the coasters, so several of the sets which turned out beautiful I pulled out for Christmas gifts and I'm leaving a couple of sets for gifts throughout the year (a friend who is coming for a visit) and I will keep about two sets for us - all remaining sets will be donated.

Though I am still into photography and sell on my website, I am re-defining what I do and how I do it. I am getting rid of a good part of my personal collection of frames - most were gifts that just never worked out or frames I picked up, but were the wrong size or style. My girlfriend is dropping by to pick out the ones she likes, the rest will be donation.
I really do hate having things around I never use, what a waste of space and money.
The plan is to invest time and effort into the website and re-evaluate equipment - deadline Feb to March.

The jewelry making - has to be the most expensive hobby on the planet. Part of my goal in my 90 day declutter challenge (see gauntlet thread) is to sort through and re-organize and then decide which projects I would like to either embark on or finish.
Not ready to let it all go - yet, I am a rock hound and love gemstones so I will continue playing around in that arena in some form - weaving a bracelet in gold and silver with gemstone interwoven is my next project - may take a while though as my time is taken up with decluttering and garden projects at present.
The main decision here is to stop investing and work with what I have and set up a viable little workshop in the shed cum studio:) There will be purchases for specific projects only. No random shopping:)

It isn't easy to let go, but before I force myself to make something in which I no longer have an interest - I will pass it on to someone who would be happy to have it.

Then there was the time I fancied myself making a quilt and quilted bags/accessories - well, shamefully - three sewing machines and about $200 in thread and supplies, I haven't sewed a single thing.
The plan here is to take a class, as I finally like the performance of sewing machine number three and make a quilt. Haven't given up hope on that project yet - it is a small investment of money in a new skill and my budget can handle whatever material or batting I decide on down the road.

I plan to donate the other two sewing machines I purchased. Did I mention my DIL gave me an old cabinet sewing machine which works really well. I'd love to keep it just for the hell of it - but then again, since I know I will never use it, I really should let it go.

So my plan of action:

Coaster sets - gifting and donation in process - supplies like tiles - to be donated by the end of next week.

Jewelry - gemstones, beads, findings - sorting/organizing in process - working on a birthday necklace right now. Sorting deadline by April 1, 2016

Photography - donate, gift frames - in process. Will keep the frames needed for taking part in photo competition-photo club. Plan is to start on website overhaul Feb to March and re-assess equipment.
Must address issues with equipment and send for repair - deadline Mar to April 1, 2016.

My to do list has certainly become a lot longer just by visiting this thread and planning out my strategies for using supplies or donating and gifting the lot:)

Good luck with all of your projects - I am enjoying creating my next necklace and looking forward to a complete decimation of the coaster sets as well as finally getting around to organizing the jewelry supplies - notice, the sewing related topic is on hold:) for now anyway - one can only tackle so much crap at anyone time:)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »
The main decision here is to stop investing and work with what I have...No random shopping:)

I like it!

Update on the sweater: all knitting & seaming is done, ends are woven in.  No buttons on this thing as I don't ever use them.  I just need to block it, then it will be part of my wardrobe, horray!  I did generate less than 1 ball of yarn for the stash, leftover from this project, but used up far more than that.

On another note, I organized my stash by fiber type.  I have way too much!  So 2016 will be knitting down the stash, especially the acrylic for charity projects...I've accepted too much and what I don't use will be given away at the end of the year.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:05 PM »
The main decision here is to stop investing and work with what I have...No random shopping:)

I like it!

Update on the sweater: all knitting & seaming is done, ends are woven in.  No buttons on this thing as I don't ever use them.  I just need to block it, then it will be part of my wardrobe, horray!  I did generate less than 1 ball of yarn for the stash, leftover from this project, but used up far more than that.

On another note, I organized my stash by fiber type.  I have way too much!  So 2016 will be knitting down the stash, especially the acrylic for charity projects...I've accepted too much and what I don't use will be given away at the end of the year.

Organizing is the first step! Well done & happy knitting:)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2016, 06:06:50 AM »
I picked up a pile from my Grandma of a mix of things from my Great Aunt and stuff my sister left behind. I have sorted it into projects/for sister/to discuss. I've already picked out the couple of things I definitely wanted. I'm dropping it at Sister's so she can go through at her leisure, then we'll make a joint plan of action to split or donate the remains. Quite excited!

I've also nearly finished two quilt tops in the past two weeks. I had to buy a little extra fabric and some batting for them, but it's cleared out both fabric and the ideas I was keeping in my head! Such a relief.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2016, 07:17:01 AM »
I've made quite a bit of progress recently on this front. I had a baby two months ago, and while I was pregnant my version of 'nesting' was to sew up a storm in anticipation. I made burp cloths, a travel changing pad and diaper case, pacifier tethers, two large and two small stuffed animals (a teddy bear, a cat, an elephant, and a giraffe!) and some bibs and cloth wipes. But everything I sewed was from materials I already had on hand. It was a fun faux challenge!

Since the birth I've started work on the baby quilt now (my timing was a little off but oh well.) All from my stash. Woo hoo!

My SIL recently expressed an interesting in learning how to sew, so I invited her over last weekend to make some cloth napkins. Most importantly, the project used the entire vintage tablecloth with no scraps. Phew. I told her that if there was any project she wanted to sew, that I'd be happy to provide the supplies. I still have an entire sewing room of stuff, and we're probably moving (and downsizing) at the end of 2016. Yikes back to the baby quilt!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »
I'm late to the party but am jumping in regardless. I don't have an enormous stash (one small tub of yarn and one of fabric) but often fall into the trap of buying supplies for a new project instead of using what I have. My goal is to finish my current WIPs and queued projects, then I must do a stash project for any new project I wish to undertake.

I finished a pair of flannel pajama pants yesterday (material and pattern purchased last winter), have a pair for my husband that I started over a year ago and  just need the waistband and hem sewn, and have begun cutting squares for my first quilt. I'l need more supplies for the quilt, as I just bought the printed fat quarters and will need white cotton for the sashing, and backing and binding fabric.

On the Knitting front, I have two hats in progress that could be finished inside of two weeks if I make the time. Then I'm planning to come up with a birthday gift for my BFF using stashed yarn. I haven't decided yet if I will knit her a hat from some hand dyed wool, or a scarf from a cashmere sweater I bought second hand with the intent to unravel.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2016, 06:49:02 PM »
I picked up a pile from my Grandma of a mix of things from my Great Aunt and stuff my sister left behind. I have sorted it into projects/for sister/to discuss. I've already picked out the couple of things I definitely wanted. I'm dropping it at Sister's so she can go through at her leisure, then we'll make a joint plan of action to split or donate the remains. Quite excited!

I've also nearly finished two quilt tops in the past two weeks. I had to buy a little extra fabric and some batting for them, but it's cleared out both fabric and the ideas I was keeping in my head! Such a relief.
I dropped the stuff off at my sister's, she's to go through it after her holiday and then we go through the "joint" stuff together. All on track!

I have the remaining pieces for my quilts! I also started and finished a table mat with leftover triangles from Christmas bunting. That used up a scrap of quilt batting, 1/3 of my Christmas fabric and will be gorgeous to use this year!

I also purchased the wrong fabric for one project, which adds to the stash a bit, but I'll work out a solution for that (light cotton with a honey comb pattern) once I've worked through my other, already organised projects.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
I have a lot of yarn but some of it isn't enough to make anything more than a scarf or a hat.  How I got into this mess was buying something because it was on sale or buying one more ball of yarn than my project called for "just in case"  I'm giving myself leeway in using up my stash by buying a enough of a neutral color (white, brown, grey, or black) to make an afghan. 

I have a multi-year stash I'm working on.

I have some of those "one skein" books. I purchased one and the other 2 were gifts. The patterns are repetitive and not very useful. Since I don't do much colorwork anymore, I dealt with the piles of leftover balls and part skeins by knitting a long (very, very long) strip of 20 stitch wide stockinette stitch, switching color as the spirit moved. When I had a 50 feet length, I started sewing it like an old fashion rag rug.) It's a nice bedside rug about 3' diameter now. When the stash of small bits grows again, I will add on more feet and make the rag rug wider.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2016, 05:05:05 AM »
As my machine is in for repair, I have spent lots of time cutting out projects from my fabric stash. I am all ready to go when my machine is back. And I've got a few more lined up to cut out as well.

Feels good to move fabrics from the 'stash' to the 'in progress' pile. (Although I'd only just emptied the in-progress pile before sending the machine off!).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
I'm learning to sew, and had made pj pants for my parents for Christmas. My mom wanted more! so I made 3 more pairs for her, and one of the fabrics I had a lot left over. Not sure why, but I looked at it and thought, maybe the smaller size will fit on that...

1 pair of pj pants cut out for my sister :)  Now, to get the sewing bug going again (I go in phases).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »
I finished a pair of stools! I painted (Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint), waxed, bought new foam and recovered them. Not really happy with the colour of the cover, but I can make as many as I want whenever I want! (simple "box" shaped cover). I am DONE with all my furniture upcycling projects!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
Woo-hoo! Looks great. Congrats on being done!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2016, 12:56:11 AM »
I've been enjoying making a lot  of bookmarks (which I laminate with shipping tape) from my old collages and drawing . and each time I select the pictures I use, I inevitably recycle some papers. Excellent . and good fun .

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
I realize this is an older thread- but as I'm getting all wed this year- I've been doing my best to save $$$ to help pay for the wedding and also be more mustacian in my habits. The two goals are co-habitating nicely.

Being said- As a bellydancer- I LOVE shiny things- and new things- I'm worse than a raccoon- so- my goal is this year no new projects- but finish the ones I Have- I've made a big dent in an older project I had from years ago that was haunting me- I have that one and one other one I think I can comfortably finish with most of my supplies.

We did a new project for our studio- which I stupidly went and bought new stuff for- but I'm under 100 on it- so I'm reasonably comfortable wiht it- but looking back- it is a totally unncessary expense.

But- April on out- it's all in house supplies and costumes for me!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
As I'm learning to sew and making things (I'm on to nightgowns now!), I'm building up a a supply of "left over" fabric. It's too much to throw out, not enough to make anything big. And my mom gave me a bunch of random sewing stuff, which included a handful of zippers.

Separately, I want a pencil case. I'm thinking of using this left over fabric and the zippers from my mom to make pencil cases as gifts for my friends. Plus: I need to learn how to do zippers. I need to find a pattern, preferably for free. Google to the rescue!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!