Author Topic: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies  (Read 89365 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
I hav been camping the last couple of days and hav been sewing at least a couple hours each day. Sewing & sunbathing at the beach is a lovely combination. To clarify, I always and only handsew. I find it incredibly relaxing .

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
I started a project last weekend. Had to get canvas, and am realizing that I got way more than I needed. So, what to do with the excess? Then I realized, the project I'm doing is from a book on miniature needlework for doll's houses, I'll just pick a project that'll fit and do that!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 01:45:38 AM »
Made myself a new eyemask entirely using scraps! (Except the elastic which was 30p). I had a tiny piece of silk left from a tank top. I had made the pattern before and knew I could get away with purchasing only 75 cm, so I really was left with scraps. The reverse is liberty cotton print left over from another iteration of the same tank. I love the print so much I am really glad I get to see it daily!

For the wadding I used old foam bra cups (!) - I save bras to harvest the rings, sliders, and hooks and eyes.

Wonder how much Liberty of London would charge for a liberty eyemask lined in pure silk?! I feel very chic.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 05:06:52 AM »

Wonder how much Liberty of London would charge for a liberty eyemask lined in pure silk?! I feel very chic.
The net sum of 50 £, acording to their website. All reason to feel chic. :)

I don't craft (no patience) but I do make my own fancy suggarscrub. Sugar+oliveoil+essential lemongrass oil+coconut oil. I recon a tub of the stuff is less than 2 $. Not the 15-25 they want in store...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »

The net sum of 50 £, acording to their website. All reason to feel chic. :)

I don't craft (no patience) but I do make my own fancy suggarscrub. Sugar+oliveoil+essential lemongrass oil+coconut oil. I recon a tub of the stuff is less than 2 $. Not the 15-25 they want in store...

Ha ha Anje, I didn't even know they sold one! Just checked it out, I actually think mine's nicer because it doesn't have bias binding.

Good work on the sugar scrub!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
This evening I needed something to do with my hands, and I've been wanting to try embroidery, so I sat down with a hoop, spare calico and some quilting thread. I made a pretty, curly vine very quickly. It was fun and I can see using scraps to be a great way to start increasing my stitch repertoire (I can do backstitch, running and chain stitch?) While also using thread I'll never use and keeping me occupied.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »
Still sewing- at least 2 hours a day .

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
Not crafting lately 😢...shoulders have been sore from too much typing at work. The good news is I have no incentive to increase the stash, either. Tonight I will venture into the craft store for Velcro for a repair. Wish me strenght to stay out of the yarn aisle, please!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:05 AM »
Sewed buttons on two cardigans which were out of circulation. Was pleased to be able to return them into my wardrobe. Also altered a skirt (loved the print but it was an awkward and unflattering length on me) so I will now actually wear it :-) still going for today...

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 06:35:48 AM »
Sewed buttons on two cardigans which were out of circulation. Was pleased to be able to return them into my wardrobe. Also altered a skirt (loved the print but it was an awkward and unflattering length on me) so I will now actually wear it :-) still going for today...

Very nice - I love bringing pieces back into circulation. Sometimes it takes so long for me to get to it them that i don't like the item anymore! So I donated several when I pulled everything out when I began this thread. Several I decided to use in projects, and a few I still need to repair for use. Time to mend those, thanks for the motivation.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2015, 02:27:07 AM »
Two more tank tops (I cut up unisex band tees into cute tanks) which is good as my supply was getting slim following a decluttering session where I said goodbye to everything in very bad condition. And a skirt. Started another skirt as well which I will probably finish later today. Certainly starting to make progress through the pile.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 04:03:30 AM »
I may be using knitting as a method of procrastination 'cos I'm nervous of trying sewing. So silly. But I did finish a shawl for myself yesterday. Took me a good hour or two nearly every day this week as I was using a much finer wool this time and it's not quite as big as I wanted but I do like it a lot. Will try blocking it to stretch it out a good bit - the lacy pattern will look better like that anyway I think.

For next Saturday, I am setting myself a target to cut out 24 large squares to make the top for a simple patchwork quilt, as well as washing and cutting out the batting and backing material. Or, at least, I assume you're supposed to also wash batting before using it? From which question you can tell what an absolute beginner I am - trying not to think of myself as a hopeless case, though, 'cos that won't get me anywheere.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
Steadily using up fabrics and threads. Three more dresses completed and one is now draped. Thinking of making some handbags next. We'll see. I've been wanting a new purse and would be excellent to make one ( for this gauntlet ) and also for another gauntlet I am doing ( no clothing shopping in 2015 ) .
Also, I found a completed quilt front I barely remembered. I don't like the colors or fabrics... Could make an excellent gift, or to be donated possibly.
I also found many many partial projects, the type I tend to combine for dresses or handbags. So I hav even more supplies that I thought!
Ah well, I am still making progress.
On another note, my show is coming up and I'm going to price to sell, because I really just want to be rid of all these things. They're taking up space in my otherwise very minimal home...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »
I work at a women's clothing consignment shop, and I have noticed that women's dresses just aren't very practical for every day wear.  (I know, news flash. /sarcasm)

So I've decided to try and design a cute summer dress that's comfortable and practical for an average day.  Maybe not mowing the grass, but going about life and work.

So far my criteria (for me, I know people like different things) are:  comfortable, past knee length, stretchy (either the fabric or a bit of added elastic), pockets (!!!), wash and wear, and wide straps.  It was the observation that so many dresses have skinny little straps or none at all that prompted me to begin this project.  I just despise the skinny strap thing, bras should be able to be covered.

I've come up with a super comfy dress that I made out of scrap fabric I found in the basement.  Now I'm refining what I made with old sarongs, which may just be the pinnacle of impractical summer dresses.  Sarongs also qualify as excess fabric when (like me) you haven't worn any of the 5 you own in several years.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »
A funny note on dresses -
I actually almost never wear dresses, but create them as sculptures or wall pieces for art exhibitions.
I wear tank tops and leggings almost everyday, which easily becomes appropriate for evening or winter or work with layering or accessories and heels.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
I cut out and nearly finished a cardigan this weekend - two seams to go and it's finished. They're french though, so it's really four :)

I have a new dress pattern I'd like to try out, but the fabric I have for it is kind of special (not expensive, I just really love it and wouldn't be able to get anymore). So I am ordering some fabric with similar stretch to make a 'wearable muslin'. Adding to the stash is bad, I know, but it will result in using up stash fabric. I can't afford it this month, but hopefully in September.

I've also nearly finished a muslin of a mac - I only just squeezed it out of the last of my muslin stash, in fact I had to piece one of the arms, even though it was already a two piece sleeve! I will replace the muslin with something when the opportunity to acquire it cheaply presents itself.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:29 AM »
Made an anniversary quilt for my Aunt and Uncle entirely out of stash.  Very proud of myself, because I wanted to buy cute backing fabric, but realized a pieced back would serve the purpose just fine! 

And most of what I used on the back is stuff I didn't really want (grab bags)- so I'm glad to have it gone!  (Sadly, the front was stuff I would have preferred  to hoard, but I'm happy to have found a use!)

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
A noble sentiment.  Wishing you best of luck. 

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
I join you in the vow to not buy anything new. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
Everybody seems to be doing well on this gauntlet. Any other knitters out there or am I the only one foolish enough to be knitting in August? Just finished off another ball of yarn an joined a new one on the sweater I'm working on. Knitting is not as fast as sewing!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
I'm knitting, oneday! Not making any progress using up the yarn I have, though, since I'm focusing on finishing the projects that are already on the needles... there's 8 of them.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »
I have about 40cm by 150cm of faux fur left over after making fur wraps. Any ideas on what to use it for? I thought I could make winter booties since I don't have slippers, but am still in the ideas-gathering stage.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:21 AM »
I have about 40cm by 150cm of faux fur left over after making fur wraps. Any ideas on what to use it for? I thought I could make winter booties since I don't have slippers, but am still in the ideas-gathering stage.

Don't know if these would be any use to you (or perhaps a bit princessy for MMM? Or you might be in totally the wrong climate) but I have wanted to make some for a while http://www.lovemaegan.com/2012/09/pretty-faux-fur-diy-boot-shapers-from-water-bottles.html

I currently use cardboard tubes from inside gift wrap to hold my high boots up nice and neat, but this would be a nicer solution and feel like I'm taking care of good boots better.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2015, 03:32:45 AM »
Everybody seems to be doing well on this gauntlet. Any other knitters out there or am I the only one foolish enough to be knitting in August? Just finished off another ball of yarn an joined a new one on the sweater I'm working on. Knitting is not as fast as sewing!
I've done two shawls (one a present for someone, one for me that still needs to be blocked), one scarf/cowl and started another scarf yesterday. The scarfs are small things specifically thought of as stashbusting (the start at the beginning and keep going till the yarn is gone and call it good) - I decided I don't need to have someone particular in mind for each thing, I can make things up and put them into my presents drawer and then have them on hand for when someone has a birthday or maybe for christmas. Will be adding a few hats into the mix as well, and some bed socks and that kind of thing. I have a lot of individual balls of yarn in my stash rather than enough of anything to do one big project and I like the satisfaction of finishing smaller things in a week or so. Have loads of cotton as well so will be doing plenty of dishcloths, too.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 05:55:46 AM »
Fake fur can look really nice as trim for medieval dresses, especially around the sleeves or like the one in the link below.  Then, if that's not something you would use, you can sell it on Etsy or something.

http://www.couturemayah.info/engsidelesssurcote.html

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 07:27:54 AM »

Do you have any children in your life who have dolls? It could make some really elegant trim on winter dresses or capes.  (Perhaps a hat and hand-warmer to match?)

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
Posting to follow, since I started last year's challenge, and totally failed to follow-through.  However, my husband and I recently restarted an old hobby that calls for costume making.  We went through all our fabric and measured it out, then labeled the folded material with the yardage, o we know how much we have for projects. 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »
Inspired to tackle some more of my stash on Sunday... I think the weather will be bad and I have no other plans so this should keep my away from doing anything too pricy.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »
Steadily using up lots of supplies- sewing projects galore complete.
Today at work, I was given a bag of clothing to look thru & took one denim skirt to use for sewing - realized I wasn't allowed new fabrics, so I put it out to donate again. Must watch this. I still hav plenty of fabric yet!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2015, 03:04:17 AM »
I was pleased to use up a few reels of cheap and nasty thread on a toile over the weekend. The toile went well - although I'm surprisingly annoyed at how well the pattern fits 'out of the envelope' which is stupid. It's great that it fits well! It just feels like a waste to make it twice unnecessarily because no alterations were needed.

I also made a new top, although I'm unhappy with the fit at the shoulders. It's the last seam to be sewn up, so I put it aside and will consider how best to tackle it. I need to pull in the back neckline as it's gaping.

And finally, I took an old pair of white jeans and turned them into skinny cropped jeans. I was very pleased with this as I have wanted a pair for a while, but couldn't find any second hand. I did find a pair similar to the ones I already had but better quality, so those have replaced these, and these have become the cropped pair I wanted!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
I am making salt and sugar scrubs myself right now.  I used "good"olive oil for the sugar scrubs and grapeseed oil for the salt scrubs.  I was proud of myself for using up some Mason Jars, 2 gasket jars and some plastic containers taking up space in my cabinet plus some of my essential oils.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Still steadily sewing 2+ hours a day and making lots of progress. Fabrics and threads dwindled significantly. Working on 5 purses (midway) and will complete more, plus another dress to make in the next 2 weeks. I foresee being almost out by the time I'm done . hooray!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
Iused another ball of yarn in my sweater. Now I'm working on the first sleeve cap.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:06 AM »
My sewing machine is playing up! Argh. I've given it a really good clean (I did find a big chunk of fluff in the thread snips), but the tension just isn't right. Much too low on the upper thread, so everything is pulling through to the back. I've tightened the bobbin spring to no avail.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
Another baby quilt solely out of stashed material!

I'm going to have to buy batting soon though. I may be able to butt some fleece scraps together to fill some quilts, but not if they are going to really warm places.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
I'm trying to do this with all the yarn I've bought because it was a good deal while on sale. 

I've made many baby hats and blankets for charity. 

I still have a lot of yarn to get through.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »
I've been working on projects that I have lined up.  Letting out 2 pairs of shorts (taken apart), doing some alterations on 3 dresses (2 done, 1 partway), making 3 dresses (2 done).

I also decided that the closet in my sewing room was not helpful as it was full of shelves the entire way across.  I took out one of the sets of shelves and put back in the hanging bar.  Just being able to hang up projects as I work on them is a huge help!

Now I have a whole bunch of blankets that I need to get rid of, somehow the sewing room closet was about half full of blankets that we never use.  I'm thinking a bunch of them will go to family members and/or to an animal shelter.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »
I guess I've been sewing too much because I've messed up both of my machines! I will have to take one in to be serviced this week, the other I'm hoping I can fiddle back to happiness.

Since I couldn't sew, I cut out. I had some large scraps of cotton jersey left. I wanted to make a tank top, but I didn't have enough length. I realised with much glee I could cut both front and back shorter and then add a hem band from the remaining width. Yay!

I also cut a long-sleeved t out which was from fabric I really love. Can't wait to make that up.

And the fabric stash now fits neatly in it's two allocated boxes! I need to run it down some more though, as I have a trip planned which will result in more coming home with me.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:10 AM »
Screen printed a top and started on curtting down a tank top that a friend gave me as a gift but is miles too big. The top had a weird shape that made it not very condusive to this, but I seem to be having success.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
A week later and I am still on the same ball of yarn on the same sleeve.  However, I am showing fidelity to this project...have not "cheated" with any other WIP's  :)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
FINALLY!  After 3 years of stop and go, I finished the drapes for our living room.  Two sets of floor to ceiling pinch pleat draw drapes over triple ganged windows - each set is over 10' wide!

I learned a lot.  Mostly that I can't sew a straight line to save my life...  But they look great, and I love 'em. 

I also learned that there's no earthly reason for me to buy a serger.  I have SIX local friends with sergers, half of which have never been used.  Borrowing one of them made joining the fabric panels into the necessary width, even with the "how do I thread this thing" learning curve, go very quickly. It's the rest that took so long.

If there are any expert seamstresses here - is it my machine or my technique that makes the upper and lower fabric get out of sync on really long runs?  It was most apparent on the top where I was sewing the pleater tape to the fabric.  A couple times I'd have to put in a small pleat on the tape.  It didn't really mess anything up, but it annoyed me.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
Ohh, I need to get in on this challenge!

I'm by no means an accomplished seamstress, but I managed to muddle my way through making a dress and blouse this summer. I've still got fabric in need of using though!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2015, 11:11:06 PM »
FINALLY!  After 3 years of stop and go, I finished the drapes for our living room.  Two sets of floor to ceiling pinch pleat draw drapes over triple ganged windows - each set is over 10' wide!

rock on!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

If there are any expert seamstresses here - is it my machine or my technique that makes the upper and lower fabric get out of sync on really long runs?  It was most apparent on the top where I was sewing the pleater tape to the fabric.  A couple times I'd have to put in a small pleat on the tape.  It didn't really mess anything up, but it annoyed me.

Can you adjust your presser foot pressure? It may be too high. So the bottom is being pulled along by the feed dogs, but the top is being held down into place by the pressure.
Whenever this happens though, I find it best to switch to a walking foot- which is designed to ensure the top and bottom move together.

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
There's no earthly way I could use up my yarn stash in the next 5 years. But! I am committed to not buying any new yarn and getting rid of the yarn I don't like. Although last weekend I plucked some white cotton worsted weight out of the Goodwill pile and randomly started a sweater. Oh well....at least I didn't buy new yarn!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »
Well, almost all my fabrics are used up- after ten dresses & ten handbags. I'm taking a break- been sewing everyday.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
There's no earthly way I could use up my yarn stash in the next 5 years. But! I am committed to not buying any new yarn and getting rid of the yarn I don't like. Although last weekend I plucked some white cotton worsted weight out of the Goodwill pile and randomly started a sweater. Oh well....at least I didn't buy new yarn!

I'm in the same boat.  I have a lot of yarn but some of it isn't enough to make anything more than a scarf or a hat.  How I got into this mess was buying something because it was on sale or buying one more ball of yarn than my project called for "just in case"  I'm giving myself leeway in using up my stash by buying a enough of a neutral color (white, brown, grey, or black) to make an afghan. 

I also decided I will be making a LOT of hats for charity!  So far I've made 15 baby hats and 2 baby afghans and donated them to a local hospital.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »
Well, almost all my fabrics are used up- after ten dresses & ten handbags. I'm taking a break- been sewing everyday.

Great work riverffashion!

I dropped my machine off for a repair at the weekend - it looked fairly minor and he said he wouldn't charge me if it turned out to just be that. Glad I bought the machine locally.

My other machine, which was giving me trouble on the tension is working just fine again. These electronic machines... On the one hand I love that sometimes I can put it away 'broken' and then suddenly a week later it's fine again. With a mechanical machine, if it goes away problematic, it comes back out problematic. But at the same time it makes me think there was nothing really wrong with it, so it's just frustration for no reason.

Anyway, I do love my machine, I think some of it must be user error. There are a lot of settings, and sometimes turning it off and on again doesn't reset things, but leaving it a few days does. Maybe there's a memory that can hold things for a certain amount of time.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
I have the opposite problem. I decided I want to learn how to sew. Since I'm just starting, I don't have much. However, my mom has sewing stuff, and she doesn't do a lot of sewing. I figure I can permanently borrow a bunch of stuff from her!

I've made one pair of PJ pants, and have fabric for two more pairs. Then, I plan to make a nightshirt for my friend (my pattern will fit her), then possibly one for me. Working on basic skills, like sewing in a straight line.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »
I have the opposite problem. I decided I want to learn how to sew. Since I'm just starting, I don't have much. However, my mom has sewing stuff, and she doesn't do a lot of sewing. I figure I can permanently borrow a bunch of stuff from her!

I've made one pair of PJ pants, and have fabric for two more pairs. Then, I plan to make a nightshirt for my friend (my pattern will fit her), then possibly one for me. Working on basic skills, like sewing in a straight line.

Good for u!!