Author Topic: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies  (Read 89349 times)

JoRocka

• Bristles
Re: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »
As I'm learning to sew and making things (I'm on to nightgowns now!), I'm building up a a supply of "left over" fabric. It's too much to throw out, not enough to make anything big. And my mom gave me a bunch of random sewing stuff, which included a handful of zippers.

Separately, I want a pencil case. I'm thinking of using this left over fabric and the zippers from my mom to make pencil cases as gifts for my friends. Plus: I need to learn how to do zippers. I need to find a pattern, preferably for free. Google to the rescue!

check out the macaroon cases- they are super cute- scrap fabric and zippers for the win!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
As I'm learning to sew and making things (I'm on to nightgowns now!), I'm building up a a supply of "left over" fabric. It's too much to throw out, not enough to make anything big. And my mom gave me a bunch of random sewing stuff, which included a handful of zippers.

Separately, I want a pencil case. I'm thinking of using this left over fabric and the zippers from my mom to make pencil cases as gifts for my friends. Plus: I need to learn how to do zippers. I need to find a pattern, preferably for free. Google to the rescue!

Some schools could use sewing (for crafting) supplies.
Also, in some places fabric is recyclable-  I mean from the waste bins at home. Sometimes as much as 98% of fabrics are recyclable, including dryer sheets and lint.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
I am on a roll. This week I finished three quilt tops and am having them quilted. I finished sewing the binding on a very large quilt. I am finishing up blocks for a quilt I started in a class two months ago.

In addition, I sold some craft supplies I was NEVER going to use and made some cash.

Is anyone else making progress?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
I've been making progress by rearranging my craft room - each time I rearrange, a bit more goes out the door. I've also gotten a bag of fabric from my mum that she was getting rid of, some of which I'm going to use to complete a few project kits I've been putting together for myself (baby blankies!). The rest will go to a local Salvation Army group, who make all kinds of little things to sell for fundraising and have a craft group to build community.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
I'm making some progress... but not as much as I'd like.

I made a clear plan to use up all the fabric in my stash. I have been working my way through cutting out. Started sewings some things up. As I've said before oftentimes I need to buy something to use up a fabric, which annoys me... However, with the plan in place, I was able recently to put in an order for 10 zips, so that's 10 items lined up for which I have all materials.

I also mentioned I needed lining for some items. I have sent off for swatches - I can't get anything good locally and I am done with ordering stuff blind online, as it always turns out to be a different weight or texture to what I was expecting. Once I have the lining chosen that's another 3 items I'm fully equipped for.

I'm finding it easy not to buy new fabric knowing I have these items ready to go. Hopefully I can get my stash down to one bin, and can then use the other for patterns. But for the moment it feels a little 'it gets worse before it gets better' as I have pieces in various states of completeness as I gather the necessary supplies.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
I taught a 3hr. basic sewing class for adolescents recently. I provided all materials, as well as my Mom who donated many fabrics to the cause. What remained I donated.
As for my personal stock of sewing things, I actually only hav finished pieces or projects left. I like to take some parts of these apart and rework sometimes, until at a point they feel completed and fresh to me.
Other than that, I hav many drawings, paintings, and collages. Each time I go through the stash, I recycle a great number. I don't have any blank canvases or paper or magazines, which all really bore me- like I mentioned above, I tend to rework older pieces later on.
I've taken to creating bookmarks from piecing together my collages. Pretty easy and fun.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm reorganizing my basement craft area.  Unfinished projects that will never be finished are gone.  Fabric I will never use is gone.  My standard bobbins (from my old sewing machine) don't fit my newer one but should fit DD's machine, so they will go to her.  Startling a project is so much easier if you have an empty bobbin for the sewing machine, instead of having to take the thread off one before you can start  ;-)

I also saw a tatting display at a heritage museum a few weeks ago, and the lady demoing it let me try needle tatting.  I am in love.  I figure I will get my technique practiced with all my unloved crochet thread before I spend any money on tatting thread (there is a difference, apparently).  If I fall out of love (this could b e just a crush, not true love, after all) before all my old crochet thread is gone, it will have only cost me the price of the needles.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
CU Tiger thanks for reviving this thread.

Currently I am going in the wrong direction with fabric. A relative gave me a scrap of fleece to make a liner for my bike basket. But the yarn is going into baby hats at quite a brisk pace. I will have a very full bag to donate to the homeless shelter this fall.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
I'm moving on September 29th, so my goal is to have a solid plan for everything I take with me- everything else can be donated to my city's recycling center just north of the new place. It's going to be my fiancee and me in a two bedroom apartment, so I'm thrilled to have the space to actually work on the projects that have been in a holding pattern since I started a new job and took classes this past semester. My goals are to finally make the t-shirt quilt I've been talking about for the past two years and using up my stash of cheap yarn to practice crocheting, which I haven't done in years.

My fiancee and I are cosplayers, so I have a few costumes that need updates- I have the materials, just not the time or the space to work on them. My goal is to have everything sorted so the materials for each project are all in one place so I can work on them one at a time and have completed costumes instead of a bunch that are halfway done or of subpar quality.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2016, 03:40:01 AM »
I had a great weekend finishing off some projects.

I made a dress which was very unflattering a few months ago. It was just hanging around, unworn. I made a casing and added elastic at the waist, and now I have a fabulous new dress to wear! So quick and easy - it was already hemmed so the most satisfying project ever!

I also finished a skirt. I had made it, and was waiting on some lining I had ordered. When it came I had just lost interest. But I made it up on Saturday. Unfortunately since hanging the lining has really 'relaxed' and is now hanging out the bottom. I will allow to hang for a few days and rehem shorter (the hem was a bit messy anyway, so not the end of the world).

I got a winter dress for work all done up to the hemming stage. It is going to be so lovely and warm in my freezing office.

And I made a top out of scraps! I used the bodice from a dress I love, and added a panel of coordinating fabric. I had intended to make a dress, but it was a little short... Turned it into a top and I'm really pleased with it.

I also cut out one more project from stash fabric. I didn't use the whole piece though, which annoys me, because now I have a remnant big enough for something, I'm sure... but I don't know what.

My fabric stocks are thinning out!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »
I had a great weekend finishing off some projects.

I made a dress which was very unflattering a few months ago. It was just hanging around, unworn. I made a casing and added elastic at the waist, and now I have a fabulous new dress to wear! So quick and easy - it was already hemmed so the most satisfying project ever!

I also finished a skirt. I had made it, and was waiting on some lining I had ordered. When it came I had just lost interest. But I made it up on Saturday. Unfortunately since hanging the lining has really 'relaxed' and is now hanging out the bottom. I will allow to hang for a few days and rehem shorter (the hem was a bit messy anyway, so not the end of the world).

I got a winter dress for work all done up to the hemming stage. It is going to be so lovely and warm in my freezing office.

And I made a top out of scraps! I used the bodice from a dress I love, and added a panel of coordinating fabric. I had intended to make a dress, but it was a little short... Turned it into a top and I'm really pleased with it.

I also cut out one more project from stash fabric. I didn't use the whole piece though, which annoys me, because now I have a remnant big enough for something, I'm sure... but I don't know what.

My fabric stocks are thinning out!

Awesome.
It feels so good to get those back burner projects done.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2016, 04:31:31 AM »

Awesome.
It feels so good to get those back burner projects done.

It does. It always makes me wonder why I always quit so close to the end - I often don't hem things for ages.

But I guess it makes for a happy time when I want to get something DONE and there, I can just pick up a project and have it finished in 20 minutes, so I guess it's working for me really.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Finished another quilt project, well, the top anyway. Goodness only knows when I will get around to quilting it. Still, baby steps! I have also put a bunch of fabric in a donate box. My quilt guild sells scraps and leftover fabrics at our show.

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2016, 06:04:45 AM »
I am very inspired with all the sewing projects here. I don't love sewing, but always keep a (unfortunately large) bag of fabric around "just in case." You all have convinced me to go through it and assign projects for each piece and get rid of the rest! I know I have some fabric to make chair cushions, as well as re-upholster a chair and a bench (first time DIY upholstering...this could go very badly). And I KNOW I've got some things to hem.

I am more of a knitter than a sewer, so my yarn stash is OUT OF CONTROL. I need to assign projects for this as well. I do a lot of charity knitting (hats and scarves), but I keep adding my own yarn that I don't like to that pile so it will take me years to knit all those hats and scarves....

Onward and upward! Hopefully I can tackle a re-upholstery project this weekend...eeee!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
I happened to be reading an animal shelter magazine that's published in my area (Chicago). They had something in there about a group that takes leftover yarn, knitting & crochet needles/hooks and gives it it to volunteers who make blankets for animals in the shelters.

Maybe something similar in your area? If not, the animals certainly don't care what color their blanket is, as long as it's comfy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
Knitting up the yarn stash. Trying to make 50 baby hats to donate to the hospital in honor of my son's delivery date. Since I'm donating hats for stillborns, they can be wool. (I don't use anything that isn't pleasant to adult hands, but they only accept acrylic for the live babies).

Sister sent me fabric to make pillowcases and used a bunch of stash to make coordinating trims for them.  So happy to use more stuff up!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
Iowajes, why do they only accept acrylic for live babies? I was about to start crocheting for friends babies, but is there something I should get in particular? I was going to get wool for the flame-retardant properties.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:49 AM »
V, I can't speak for iowajes' hospital, but wool can be irritating to the skin and it's also not easily washable. I know that wool gives me a rash. Maybe check with your friends to see what they think?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »
Iowajes, why do they only accept acrylic for live babies? I was about to start crocheting for friends babies, but is there something I should get in particular? I was going to get wool for the flame-retardant properties.

There are people who can't tolerate ANY type of wool, regardless of how soft it is. You put me in wool, and my skin is turning red. For babies, it would probably be a higher chance. Makes my life harder sometimes because everyone is obsessed with how wonderful wool is and they can't understand that I can't do wool. And yes, cashmere is wool.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »

There are people who can't tolerate ANY type of wool, regardless of how soft it is. You put me in wool, and my skin is turning red. For babies, it would probably be a higher chance. Makes my life harder sometimes because everyone is obsessed with how wonderful wool is and they can't understand that I can't do wool. And yes, cashmere is wool.
Would cotton be OK?

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
I happened to be reading an animal shelter magazine that's published in my area (Chicago). They had something in there about a group that takes leftover yarn, knitting & crochet needles/hooks and gives it it to volunteers who make blankets for animals in the shelters.

Maybe something similar in your area? If not, the animals certainly don't care what color their blanket is, as long as it's comfy.

That's a good idea, Sibley. I love both animals and knitting.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »

Actually, cashmere is not wool--it comes from goats, not sheep--but your point still stands ;) People are always suggesting alpaca for me, but that gives me a rash, too.

V, I think your best bet is a cotton-acrylic blend. Cotton is fine but it's not as easy to knit with, and it shrinks when wet.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
Alpaca gives me a horrible rash. People always tell me it is not possible to be allergic to alpaca. Um, it is.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »

Cotton and baby-acrylics.  They want super duper soft for premie forheads.

Full size babies wool is often okay.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »

Cotton and baby-acrylics.  They want super duper soft for premie forheads.

Full size babies wool is often okay.
Ah, brilliant. I'll buy a little of each anyway then.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »

Actually, cashmere is not wool--it comes from goats, not sheep--but your point still stands ;) People are always suggesting alpaca for me, but that gives me a rash, too.

V, I think your best bet is a cotton-acrylic blend. Cotton is fine but it's not as easy to knit with, and it shrinks when wet.

I include anything grown on an animal in the wool definition, because I have problems with all of it. Some things I tolerate better than others, but all of it will irritate my skin at some point.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

I include anything grown on an animal in the wool definition, because I have problems with all of it. Some things I tolerate better than others, but all of it will irritate my skin at some point.
Interesting! I'm curious, then, do you only wear synthetics? Or are finer materials (woven cottons, even jeans) easier on your skin than a knitted/crocheted yarn item?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
I hav been reworking a great number of my illustrations & collages by changing them by adding graphite, ink, paint, and magazine photos. Reworking is a great love of mine. I do so to almost all of my work- changing something to become almost or fully unrecognizable.
My current project/ goal for these reworked arts is to make them look like the same character (or characters). I am practicing this, for me a fun challenge. The big overall goal currently with this to create a graphic novel.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:24:25 AM by riverffashion »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2016, 05:29:02 AM »
It's getting harder for me to use up my stash because I'm coming to those fabrics I put aside for a reason - they weren't the thickness I was expecting so didn't work for what I wanted, and I need to think of a new pattern, or I have gone off them over time.

I've also got lots of large remnants, which are annoying because whilst I know they are big enough for something, I already have items out of the fabric, and it is distinctive enough for people to realise they are remnants. I don't know why this bothers me but it does.

I have listed two such remnants on ebay. If they sell well I will list more. Luckily I have since learnt not to trust the fabric requirements on the backs of pattern envelopes, and buy less fabric per project, so this shouldn't be an issue going forward.

My fabric bins are not only 'not overflowing' but they are no longer even totally full. I used to have a pile on top of them. Then I got down to everything fitting - just - into my two baskets. Now everything fits with a bit of slack! Progress.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »

Interesting! I'm curious, then, do you only wear synthetics? Or are finer materials (woven cottons, even jeans) easier on your skin than a knitted/crocheted yarn item?

Oops, I've been relaxing!

Cotton, linen, and the various synthetics are good. Day to day, it's not really an issue except with sweaters, then I typically get cotton. I've got some sweaters that are probably acrylic, but they're packed away for the summer so I can't check. Most of my clothes are cotton or polyester, or some blend. I've on rare occasions bought a wool suit, knowing that I'll have to be careful to protect skin, but I've mostly stopped doing that. Too much effort. Linen is plant based so I can wear it if I'm willing to iron (usually not).

Winter hats and scarves are really tough. Some of them can be really soft and I'll think they'll be fine, then I actually wear them and wonder why my skin is irritated. duh, read the label.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2016, 03:58:07 AM »
Made another dress, one more length of fabric out of the stash! And I made neck bindings using the last little scraps from an old top, so I was pleased to throw the tiny tiny scraps in the recycling and have one less remnant in the scrap bin too.

I also started making a handbag using leather I have collected over the years with no clear purpose in mind. There's a little bit of trial and error, and whilst it galls me 'wasting' the leather when I have to recut something, it is better that it is being used to 1) create something useful and 2) give me new skills. Every mistake I am making is one that I will not have to make in future.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
Last week during a couple of my insomniac nights, I sorted through four giant shopping bags of fabric.

Several years ago, a close friend died and her sister gave me tons of her stash. Then another friend moved, and de cluttered by giving ME the stuff she did not want to move.

I separated the fabric into large pieces, fat quarters, and scraps. Everything was folded or rolled and put in a bankers box, two large totes, and two bags (for the scraps). I delivered it to our guild tonight. At our biennial show we usually make $800 - $1000 dollars selling off fabric our members no longer want.

Getting rid of this makes me feel delirious with happiness. I am being much more judicial with my fabric purchases. All my fabric has to fit in one set of bookshelves, just to keep me from going overboard.

I also finished another quilt this week!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
I'm just commenting so I remember to come back and read the thread...

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2016, 01:47:28 AM »
I've totally failed at this gauntlet but have moved house - that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it! :-)

Anyway, some progress is being made. To recap, I'm just about a total beginner sewer but have wanted to make patchwork quilts since I was a teenager. And over the years I have accumulated an enormous stash of material (do want to make clothes sometime, too), mostly just bought and shoved in a bag, and then a cupbaord after I moved and had a bit more space. It all came in very useful as packing material for my stuff when I moved again in May this year. However, my new place is a bit smaller and my old place was already bursting at the seams so it's time to get real. I've told myself that if I haven't made at least one thing by the end of January, it all has to go. And for now, I'm not unpacking all of those boxes, as I want to varnish the cupboard I use for my stash. So, all of my wool (I do knit, although haven't for a few months now) and lots of material is still piled in boxes in front of that cupboard. My birthday at the start of December is my self-imposed deadline for having fully finished unpacking.

In the meantime, I have a small amount of space in a different cupboard that I am using for some of the material. I'm adding a small amount to the machine every time I do a hot wash. I never did this with most of the stuff and also had a bad moth problem a couple of years ago so really want to hot wash everything before putting it away again. I just put some more freshly washed stuff away (can I just add how much I LOVE that I have a balcony now and can dry stuff outside in the sunshine again - this makes me very happy!), and was pleased to see how far along I've come. I've made good inroads into the stash. And in the meantime I've found out where I can bring my sewing machine to be serviced. I was given a friend's old machine just before I left Ireland in 2008 and haven't even plugged it in once so I'll gladly pay someone who knows what they're doing to make sure that it's still working properly.

I don't often work well with writing down goals but here's some of what I would definitely like to do (not necessarily in this order):

• Patchwork quilt for friend who moved house recently - not sure what size
  • Christmas cushion covers for my sister
  • Sleevless jacket for me (bought pattern and all supplies for this during another abortive attempt to take up sewing years ago)
  • Patchwork lap quilts for at least one of my sister in France's family - there are five of them and really I'd love to do one each
  • Patchwork lap quilt for my younger sister
  • Full-size patchwork quilt for my brother's 40th birthday (in 2019, so there's time yet)
  • Set of napkins for me
  • Set of napkins for sister in France
  • Handbag for me (have an old handbag that was just exactly the perfect size and have kept it to use as a template, just in case I get that advanced one day)

So there you have it. Prepare to not hear from me again for months on end, maybe never. LOL

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm brand new to everything sewing/quilting/crocheting. 

For yarn, my "stash" consists of only five skeins.  Right now I'm using youtube to teach myself crochet (it's easier for me right now than following a pattern).  I'm using the yarn I have to make some basic dishcloths and granny squares (the granny squares will eventually become an afghan).

Fabric...  I already have a stash there...!  I'm just learning how to quilt, so most of it is for a future quilt.  Right now I have enough, but will not pass up some great deals when I find them (like batiks for $4/yard), or Jack Skellington fabric on sale + coupon, or a remnant I really love.  My mom has given me some scraps--flannel, heavy stuff (upholstery and outdoor), kid fabric.  She works at a craft store so she finds the best deals, and she's also have customers give her their leftovers.

My goal next month is to organize everything and put it all in one location where it is easy to see.  I'm hoping to get a sewing room set up as well.

Because I'm hand piecing/quilting right now, the stash busting is very slow.  However, I'm also learning to use a sewing machine, and find that that goes 1000x faster.  I did a "Weird Al" flag turned into concert blanket quilt on my machine and had it done in two nights.  Hand sewing/quilting would have taken me weeks.

I've also made pajama pants (I thought it would be the perfect way to learn some skills).  I have more flannel to use that way, and then I'll end up with more flannel scraps.

I've also got two knit fabrics for making a couple shirts (made one already and like it).  I'll end up with stretchy scraps there.

I'm also in the middle of an apron using halloween fabric.  It has little jars of stuff (jars filled with worms, spiders, vampire teeth, fish skeletons, etc).  I fell in love with the fabric as soon as I saw it.  I've needed an apron for when I do canning, and I think it's perfect.  It's all cut out now, so I'll sew it together next week.

My goals for using up my fabrics:

Continue making quilts.  I've done one baby quilt (up to the binding, I'm waiting to be shown how to do that), and have started another.  These have used panels + a border fabric to make the process a little faster, since it's all hand stitched/quilted.  I also want to machine piece/quilt some baby blankets to give to a children's hospital.  My son spent his first two weeks in the NICU there, and I've always wanted to do something like that.  However, my favorite quilts are scrappy quilts, I just don't have the scraps yet to make one.

Make more clothing.  PJ pants, shirts, pj tops.  Eventually some costumes, I found some gorgeous fabrics at an estate sale where they were selling everything from a 30+ year old local costume shop. 

Make two cloaks.  I have some fabric I bought specifically for this project.  Just need to start cutting everything.

Not buy more fabric unless it is a great deal (like the batiks I just found for $4/yard).  Or seasonal and can only get a good selection once a year (I need more clover/shamrock fabric for a quilt I want to do, but have to wait until Feb/March to get some more fabric).

Participate in some fabric swaps.  This motivates me to cut fabric into ready-to-use pieces.  It allows me to get rid of fabrics I don't need much of (I don't care for pink, or might have a remnant I only want for a few small blocks--good fabric, but more than I'll use).  And, while I get some back so it doesn't really reduce the stash, I get all ready-to-use fabric back, and it gives me a big variety to use for a scrappy type quilt (or an eye-spy quilt).

Start making dog beds/a bean bag chair with some of the scraps.  I lost my dog a few months ago :( but will make some to donate to the shelter where I got her.  It's a good way to use up those too-small pieces, and can throw my batting scraps in there too (cuts down on weight).  I have some sample fabric I can use for the outside covers.

Aimza

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »
I have an entire large Ikea Pax wardrobe full of fabric that I need to get through. I open the closet and look at it and then go do something else.

It's hard to find motivation to sew things when I have so many other things that are a priority. Maybe I can do it all in 2017!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
I'm just commenting so I remember to come back and read the thread...
Good :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Alpaca gives me a horrible rash. People always tell me it is not possible to be allergic to alpaca. Um, it is.
Pretty sure it's possible to be allergic to most things!
Someone said same to me about stevia, also about some chem-free hair care. When we experience a reaction, we know!

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:13 AM »
I have a newly hatched plan to use up some of the more difficult fabric remnants making waxed cling-wrap substitute.  Really hoping it works as well as some of the on-line videos suggest.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2016, 07:29:44 AM »
A friend of mine opened up her own soap shop, and she generously agreed to to buy the little washcloths I make and sell them! :D So now my goal is to use up all my yarn making washcloths.

ThreadCookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »
So many crafty people here! I'm planning on moving in a year or so to a cheaper place so I'm trying to clear out a lot of my sewing stuff. I have loads of things left over from my reenacting days that i'm trying to get rid of via my etsy shop. I also have a stack of things to be altered and I'm starting up my Christmas present sewing. I did manage to bang out a dress https://www.instagram.com/p/BKUoiqngCa8/I've been meaning to make for a while, so that's something! I made it out of an old Ikea duvet cover so also super frugal :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:43 AM »
I have a newly hatched plan to use up some of the more difficult fabric remnants making waxed cling-wrap substitute.  Really hoping it works as well as some of the on-line videos suggest.

I tried it, and, honestly, while the techniques I used worked, I stopped using them after a while, I'll tell you why.

You can't wash them in hot water - or else the beeswax melts off (and then likely solidifies when it hits the cold water in your sink drain and over time blocks it).

So I just wasn't happy reusing something over and over again that had never been 'properly' washed. I'm not generally squeemish about germs, but food safety I am quite strict about. After a week wrapping cheese, then a rinse in cold water, I just couldn't bring myself to wrap fresh cheese in it again.

Maybe they're better for over the top of bowls and things, rather than direct contact. I use my glasslocks for that though. Would love to hear if anyone had a different and more positive experience.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2016, 06:57:11 AM »
I just found this thread.

If anyone has dark 100% cotton flannel or 100% cotton, a "Days for Girls" chapter near you could use your donation! If it's light, they may be able to take it and dye it. DFG makes washable feminine hygiene kits for girls in the third world to keep them in school during their periods.

This is a great thing to get involved with if you like to sew, as well!

http://www.daysforgirls.org/usachaptersandteams

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2016, 04:18:55 AM »
I went through my fabric stash with my mum and sister, and we put together 3 packages of matching fabric for quilts. The first has been started, and hopefully I will only need to get backing fabric.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
I'm up to 50 premie hats, and a lot of yarn gone :)

But the new doggie doesn't appreciate knitting, so now I have to wait until my next business trip to do anymore...

And I can't sew, because he can't be left unattended, and there are way too many fun things to chew in the sewing room.

ThreadCookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Box one of three of UFOs and garments to be altered has been completed! I emptied the second one out on to my rack and I'm getting started on that. I'm hoping to throw together three blouses in the next couple of weeks. I've been wrapping up so many projects lately that my closet is getting a little crowded. I need to go through and cull some pieces to sell/donate.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
Knitter here.  A year ago, I used up all but a couple skeins and enough to finish a sweater (which is still unfinished).  Then I bought a few skeins for Christmas presents.  Then over Christmas, I saw my grandmother's yarn stash.  She taught me to knit, but hasn't done it in at least 5 years.  So I convinced her to give me a few so I could make her something.  Then my mom got involved.  Well, I walked away with like 20 smaller skins(60-100 yards), but fairly thick. 

I do knitting in phases, and just started up a couple months ago with this batch.  I made a hat for my grandmother, and I've almost finished an Afghan that used 15 skeins.  I've still got 2 hats and 2 matching scarves to go.  Then I'll get to grab more from her stash. 

Oh, and I've been making red and green scarves for my mom for miniature snowmen (she wants 20).  She keeps wanting me to use smaller needles, so it's more proportionate.  If I go that small it'll take me as long to make a miniature one as it would to make a normal one!

Then last week someone posted this on Facebook:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Ohhio
I want to make one, but I don't want to spend $220 on material for one blanket!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »
iowajes & MrMoogle: I am still knitting the baby hats for charity.  You have inspired me to count how many so far!  I did get a little bored & moved over to a baby blanket for the same charity, so output of FO's has slowed and it makes me feel a little unproductive. 

ThreadCookie: your projects turned out really well!  As a knitter, I especially like the last one :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »
I went through my fabric stash with my mum and sister, and we put together 3 packages of matching fabric for quilts. The first has been started, and hopefully I will only need to get backing fabric.
first blankie top complete! Using up some flannelette for the backing.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
Adorable!