Author Topic: Train from $4M and beyond  (Read 6691 times)

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Train from $4M to $8M
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2020, 07:52:12 AM »
Approximately $7MM NW not counting my private company stock which might double that if we go public or sell out.

95% equities. A small amount (3 years expenses) in tax and AMT free municipal ETF.

When will I retire? I don't know. I like the company and would like to see it through to IPO since I've been here since nearly the beginning.

Update:

This year has been really crazy for my investments. Up nearly 40% for the year (ahead of the market by almost 42%) Large chunk of Tesla stock as well as a bunch of smaller SAAS companies have just done well and also stalwarts like Apple and Amazon

NW: just shy of $10MM

Congrats. 

I've been looking at Ark Funds which have had similar gains.  ARKG 52.79% YTD & ARKW 43.95%  Wish I'd known about them 6 months ago.  About half my NW is tied up in real estate, hoping to unload it soon. 

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

I've been looking at Ark Funds which have had similar gains.  ARKG 52.79% YTD & ARKW 43.95%  Wish I'd known about them 6 months ago.  About half my NW is tied up in real estate, hoping to unload it soon.

I have about a 2% position in ARKK. I'm mostly an individual stock investor but I'm becoming more willing to let them manage a portion of my portfolio.  I've been building it slowly for about a year and a half. I like their research very much. You should check out their podcasts and youtube presence as well as all their research models are all open source.

I get more out of them than just the investment growth since I lean on them for information across my portfolio.

Cathie Wood is awesome.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »

I have about a 2% position in ARKK. I'm mostly an individual stock investor but I'm becoming more willing to let them manage a portion of my portfolio.  I've been building it slowly for about a year and a half. I like their research very much. You should check out their podcasts and youtube presence as well as all their research models are all open source.

I get more out of them than just the investment growth since I lean on them for information across my portfolio.

Cathie Wood is awesome.

I've seen their podcasts & also have been receiving their lists of daily transactions.  Realizing how often she adjusts her positions opened my eyes about what goes on behind the scenes to achieve those kind of numbers.  It's good to hear that you like Ark too. 

If the C-19 crash hadn't happened I would have remained content with Vanguard & not bothered looking for better options. 

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »

Cathie Wood is awesome.

I've seen their podcasts & also have been receiving their lists of daily transactions.  Realizing how often she adjusts her positions opened my eyes about what goes on behind the scenes to achieve those kind of numbers.  It's good to hear that you like Ark too. 

If the C-19 crash hadn't happened I would have remained content with Vanguard & not bothered looking for better options.

So I don't trade anything near like they do for sure. I'm more buy and hold. But they have weird restrictions because they are a mutual fund - like they can't have anything more than 10% of their portfolio and so they have to sell things that grow too big - where I'd be delighted if something grew that much. I might eventually trim back but we as individuals don't have an arbitrary limit like that.

Glad to hear that you are looking at other things. Index is great and for most people it's probably the best but I do think it's possible to do better. I've done much better personally, and I've been tracking my returns against the "market" since 2007.

StackOfCoins.com (Jay)

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stack of Coins Financial Blog: stackofcoins.com
    • Stack of Coins - Achieve Financial Independence
Re: Train from $4M and beyond
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
Quick update, hit a new high watermark right at the end of July:

August 2015: $1.0
April 2018: $2.0
July 2019: $2.8
December 2019: $3.6
July 2020: $5.0

This doesnít show the 60% drawdown I had to go through during covid. oof!!

Separate topic: Iím curious if folks on this thread here have net worth goals.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
I hear you on that.  I have a good friend at work who occasionally asks me for financial advice.  I know enough not to try to help people without their explicitly asking, but he was asking, so I've answered his questions and pointed him toward good resources.  He does not know I'm FI (I keep that pretty close to the vest) but does know from things I've been involved with on the job that I'm good with money. 

Then one day out of the blue he just lays into me about how he's sick of me "lording it over everybody how rich I am."   

No idea what got into him, but that was the end of that.

I'm not necessarily qualified to post in this thread.

However, I have noticed that it is incredibly easy to say stuff without even thinking and unintentionally reveal - at least in broad strokes - information about how much money we have.  For example, mentioning VTSAX which has a minimum investment amount.

Sometimes people incorrectly project based on stuff we say too.  If I say I retired early at 46 or have a net WR of 0.8%, some people may assume that I have more than I actually do.

I try to be very careful in what I say for that reason - no interest in being a tall poppy.  My general rule is to never discuss assets or income to any degree of specificity.

StackOfCoins.com (Jay)

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Agreed. I also donít talk specifics of my finances. A lot of downside, little to no upside, of doing so.

Ockhamist

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 09:58:41 AM »
Yep.   Frustration is, though, I like to help people when I can, especially my friends.   If I was good at carpentry (speaking VERY hypothetically here) and a friend needed help building a deck, I'd be able to help, offer advice, etc.   Unfortunately, being good with money seems to mean that you don't dare.   Even if you keep your own specifics close to the vest, just *knowing* stuff makes you a target for resentment.  Ugh.  Unfortunately I can't keep knowing that stuff a secret due to the nature of my work and things that I have published.   Double ugh.

Bah, I'm an introvert anyway.   Friends are overrated.  ;-)

StackOfCoins.com (Jay)

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
Money can be a very personal thing, and can carry a lot of emotional baggage with it depending on the person.

For friends who are at somewhat of a similar place financially, I am comfortable with talking investments if the topic comes up.

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2020, 09:44:46 PM »

Cathie Wood is awesome.

How do you receive the daily transactions of ARK?. I am really interested in starting investing in ARKK, however I hesitate everyday as the price keeps going up so much due to tesla. I am hoping for a pullback of Tesla and ARKK to start investing.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 07:23:51 AM »

Cathie Wood is awesome.

How do you receive the daily transactions of ARK?. I am really interested in starting investing in ARKK, however I hesitate everyday as the price keeps going up so much due to tesla. I am hoping for a pullback of Tesla and ARKK to start investing.

There's a place on their website for you to subscribe for it.  Btw, a few days ago I noticed that instead of listing the number of shares purchased or sold they've changed it to a percentage of their portfolio, which seems odd.  So, instead of it saying 241559 shares sold now it says .0347% sold.  I guess they've decided to slightly less transparent. 

I'm not sure why ARKK seems to get more attention because ARKW has slightly higher performance numbers.  They both hold about 10% of TSLA.  Each day TSLA prices rise ARK sells off more shares of it.  I'm not sure what will happen when the TSLA bubble bursts.  I don't know if it was wise, but I purchased some of each of the 5 ARK funds to diversify a bit.  Only ARKK & ARKW hold TSLA, but the others still perform quite well. 

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »

Instead of waiting for a pullback divide the amount you want to invest in to 3 parts. invest some now and then maybe each month after. This way you don't miss out because of some arbitrary price you've set in your head.

It's really easy to anchor on a price and then have a stock just totally run away on you. This way if it goes down you get to by more at a lower price and if it keeps going up you don't totally miss out.

As far as the percentage of a trade being less transparent I disagree. A number of shares is meaningless unless you know how many they hold. This way you can get a real idea of how they are managing their portfolio without having to know the size of each position.

They've been taking in a lot of capital so a 10000 share buy or sell today is a smaller transaction relatively than the same 10000 share transaction 6 months ago, where this would show up as a smaller percentage now. So much more useful.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »

Instead of waiting for a pullback divide the amount you want to invest in to 3 parts. invest some now and then maybe each month after. This way you don't miss out because of some arbitrary price you've set in your head.

It's really easy to anchor on a price and then have a stock just totally run away on you. This way if it goes down you get to by more at a lower price and if it keeps going up you don't totally miss out.

As far as the percentage of a trade being less transparent I disagree. A number of shares is meaningless unless you know how many they hold. This way you can get a real idea of how they are managing their portfolio without having to know the size of each position

They've been taking in a lot of capital so a 10000 share buy or sell today is a smaller transaction relatively than the same 10000 share transaction 6 months ago, where this would show up as a smaller percentage now. So much more useful.

I'm sure you're right.  Neither measure really means much to me, I just notice the buy/sell part & the ticker symbols.

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2020, 09:36:18 PM »

As far as the percentage of a trade being less transparent I disagree. A number of shares is meaningless unless you know how many they hold. This way you can get a real idea of how they are managing their portfolio without having to know the size of each position.

That's what I decided to do last week. I started to invest in it slowly. I bought some shares, next month I will buy more, and so on. Thanks

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: Today at 11:14:41 AM »
Just curious how everyone on this thread has done this year.

I'm currently up 112% for the year, and on top of that my private company did a tender offer and I got to sell them some shares to the tune of about $1MM pre tax.

I don't generally count my private stock in my net worth at all.