Author Topic: Track what you eat (calories) every day in October  (Read 3212 times)

StashinIt

• Stubble
Track what you eat (calories) every day in October
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Even if you're a 6% body fat Olympian, keeping track of what you put into your body is good for everyone. So here's the challenge, in case you didn't read the title, track what you eat EVERY DAY in October.

There are no major holidays (unless you count Halloween) to distract you. It's the run-up the the holiday mad season, get started now and build up your control.

I'm using http://www.sparkpeople.com/ but feel free you use a less sissified option.

Who's with me?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Track what you eat (calories) every day in October
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
Wow. Great idea. Can I just do it in a word document or do I have to do it online? I'll have to start tomorrow though. I know what I ate today, but didn't measure...

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
Wow. Great idea. Can I just do it in a word document or do I have to do it online? I'll have to start tomorrow though. I know what I ate today, but didn't measure...

Yes, use a word document. Whatever works best for you.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
Okay, I'm in.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
I'm out. 

I would forget to do this.  Plus I'd have to feel really guilty on days like today when I ate in airports.  I ate four packages of pretzels on two flights, one of which was turned back to the start gate an hour into the flight after the plane got covered in ice. I also ate both a cookie and an apple fritter while my flight was rescheduled twice and my plane switched over once.  I managed a bacon potato soup during those six hours too.  I don't want to see those calories in black and white.   As it stands, I still fit into my pants so it is all good.

But, I cheer you on.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »
Am seriously contemplating shoving my face in a jar of peanut butter loaded with chocolate chips tonight before I start tracking tomorrow. But I won't.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
Plus I'd have to feel really guilty on days like today when..  I don't want to see those calories in black and white.   As it stands, I still fit into my pants so it is all good.

Am seriously contemplating shoving my face in a jar of peanut butter loaded with chocolate chips tonight before I start tracking tomorrow. But I won't.

Woah woah woah.. what's with the assumption that over eating a day or two is so terrible? My tip, look at it over a weekly basis rather than a daily basis to reduce the noise. Also, look at how many calories you burn in a week. If you burn more you need more. Stay calm and professional at all times.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:38:44 PM by StashinIt »

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
So far so good. This is actually a very good exercise for me. I'm trying to be more conscious about my portion sizes anyway. I've lost 12 pounds in the last 6 months even being basically bedridden most of the time (it's due to the lack of work place stress - I'm a stress eater). Now that I'm in physical therapy and reconditioning my body, it's a good time to look at the food part of the equation.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
Right now I am trying to do this mentally - I have done this previously via sparkpeople and weight watchers - so I have a good feel for my calorie intake.  I tend to break it down by meal/snack and stay pretty consistent throughout the week.  I also highly recommend a food scale.  Even my husband measures his cereal in the morning.

I am part of a weight loss challenge so going to stick with this for a minimum of 6 weeks more.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
Well last day of Oct. I failed. I only tracked the first 18 days.

For the days I did track I averaged:

1,889 Calories
204g Carbs
76g of Fat
111g of Protein

That coupled with my biking I lost a total of 8lbs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!