Author Topic: Track and categorize grocery spending all March!  (Read 36902 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Track and categorize grocery spending all March!
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:36 AM »
I will also do it next month.  I am thinking of doing a nut-free April.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2014, 06:48:37 AM »
I'm in for April! I'm still shocked at how much higher my spending is than many here so I obviously have a long way to go! in some categories I am curious whether people just eat way less than us or whether costs are lower/I'm not taking good advantage of sales, etc.

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
@rocksinmyhead: Since I have fairly low food spending (about $100/month), I looked back over my spreadsheet and totaled up amounts to give a better perspective on how much I bought in each category I tracked in March. Since I haven't yet gone to the grocery store in April, here are my 23-day totals for one person:

Category                       Price                 Amount
Produce (Veg.)             $20.77               20.16 lbs. (9.16 kg) various plus 1 cucumber, 2 avocados, 1 bunch of celery, 4 bell peppers
Produce (Fruit)             $11.01               4.59 lbs. (2.1 kg) various plus 2 lemons, 2 limes, 1 cantaloupe
Beans                          $  7.81               3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg) various
Meat                            $13.69               3.975 lbs. (1.8 kg)various
Eggs                             $  2.75               18 large eggs
Pantry                          $  1.99               3 oz. (85 g) chocolate bar
Alcohol/Coffee               $14.99               12-pack of beer
Sales Tax                      $  6.40
Total                             $79.41

It looks like fruits are relatively more expensive than vegetables. There are some grapes for >$2.00 per pound in the various category there driving the overall cost up. The cantaloupe was only $.88 for a big fruit, so there may be significantly more pounds there than included in the various category. The meat was more expensive per pound than I usually buy since I decided to indulge in corned beef ($3.45/lb.) for St. Patrick's Day.

My kitchen scale finally has batteries again, so I plan to weigh all produce going forward.

payitoff

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »
I am going to do this for April. Anyone else in?

My grocery bill continues to be higher than I'd like.

im in too, was there a spreadsheet you guys were using for tracking? how about the categories?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
2wakefulFlea, here's mine, check it out and use it if you want! (hopefully that link works)

also, if anyone has advice on things I can cut, I could really use it!! I started a thread here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/please-help-me-scrutinize-my-grocery-bill!/

payitoff

« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
2wakefulFlea, here's mine, check it out and use it if you want! (hopefully that link works)

also, if anyone has advice on things I can cut, I could really use it!! I started a thread here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/please-help-me-scrutinize-my-grocery-bill!/

WOW! this is very detailed, im not very excel savvy, so where do i plug in the info on sheet 1? i tried to delete everything on sheet 1 but i cant also find any dropdown options for categories? looks like ive deleted everything?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
oh I guess it's not that fancy haha! I don't have any drop down categories. I just type in my categories and if I can't remember exactly how I worded something, I just look up above on the spreadsheet. someone more excel-savvy than me probably has one with dropdown categories, though!

payitoff

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
cool! ill start using this! thanks!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
Ok, we are in April. No food purchases yet this week. But I am happy to report that as I stood in the kitchen contemplating what to make for dinner, I swatted away the siren call to order takeout. Instead I put together a breakfast casserole made from corn tortillas, eggs, shredded cheese, GF multipurpose flour, pork sausage (direct from the farmer) and 8-9 eggs (direct from farmer), salt, pepper, paprika and cumin. I layered all the ingredients and cooked them for 30 minutes. I served it with fresh fruit and homemade salsa. It was delicious. And a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering food in.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »
Alright, here is my grocery total for the month of March. Looks like my spending is quite similar to the rest of you. I still have half the chicken thighs and all the chicken tenderloins, I expect that to last me for the rest of April.

Carbs   
$2.00      3 lbs bread (2 loaves)
$8.80      10 lbs pasta
$1.78      1 lbs saltine crackers
$12.58   Total

Meat   
$35.94   18 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenderloin
$24.98   13 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
$60.92   Total

Vegetables   
$2.34   3 lbs green beans
$2.34   3 lbs broccoli
$4.68   Total

Dairy   
$2.92      24 large AA eggs
$7.96      4 lbs Velveeta
$10.88   Total

Junk Food   
$5.00   30 pop tarts
$5.00   Total

Other   
$0.34   hot sauce
$1.62   barbecue sauce
$1.49   honey mustard
$3.45   Total

$97.51   Grand Total
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:26:22 PM by Herbert Derp »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
Ok, we are in April. No food purchases yet this week. But I am happy to report that as I stood in the kitchen contemplating what to make for dinner, I swatted away the siren call to order takeout. Instead I put together a breakfast casserole made from corn tortillas, eggs, shredded cheese, GF multipurpose flour, pork sausage (direct from the farmer) and 8-9 eggs (direct from farmer), salt, pepper, paprika and cumin. I layered all the ingredients and cooked them for 30 minutes. I served it with fresh fruit and homemade salsa. It was delicious. And a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering food in.

that sounds SO delicious!!! nice kitchen improvisation!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:58 AM »

that sounds SO delicious!!! nice kitchen improvisation!

Thanks! I made a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish's worth and this morning? GONE. I think my husband had a late night snack. And my picky eater LOVED IT. Whoo-hoo!

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
Here is my tally for First 3 months this year, not groceries only, but still face-punching. So scared to post.
I enjoyed tracking the expenses and was very unhappy with the totals. 2 Adults and 1 kinder gardener. Also was away most of Feb 2014 on vacations:

Jan 2014 - 648.78 includes $50 birthday cake for kiddo, $13 gift for birthday of family, $29 camera case, bottle brush etc
Feb 2014 - 121.54 including $17 hostess gift
Mar 2014 - 537.70 including $14 jeans, $40 kiddo shoes (she grows out of them in 5 months)

Here are the percentages:
Dairy - 10.10%
Juice - 2.25%
Veggies - 15.02%
Bread - 1.65%
Egg - 2.20%
Rice and Staples - 9.30%
toiletries - 6.47%
Dry stuff (paper goods etc) - 5.71%
Fruits - 3.11%
Snacks - 11.22%
Medicines - 6.55% (only payment after insurance payouts)
Lottery (only vice of hubby) - 4.05%
Cleaners - .55%
kiddos - 7.49%
Others - (camera case, bottle brush, hostess gifts etc) - 11.02%
Tax - 3.29%

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
I just saw this thread and wanted to participate... BUT I checked my online bank transactions and I'm already at 2 transactions totaling 58.31 to Target, and I can't find my receipts :(  They were both technically purchased in March and not posted till today.

I do know the last purchase was crest white strips (for my wedding in 2 weeks), brownie mix (terrible impulse purchase) and bread flour.  I don't know the individual totals though.

So I will keep track of what I actually spend in April, not paying attention to the dates posted to my account.  Hopefully this will give me some accountability and I will make fewer dumb purchases, knowing I have to explain myself publicly :D

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »
I just saw this thread and wanted to participate... BUT I checked my online bank transactions and I'm already at 2 transactions totaling 58.31 to Target, and I can't find my receipts :(  They were both technically purchased in March and not posted till today.

I do know the last purchase was crest white strips (for my wedding in 2 weeks), brownie mix (terrible impulse purchase) and bread flour.  I don't know the individual totals though.

So I will keep track of what I actually spend in April, not paying attention to the dates posted to my account.  Hopefully this will give me some accountability and I will make fewer dumb purchases, knowing I have to explain myself publicly :D

Congrats on the pending nuptuals!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
Thought you guys might be interested to know, at the end of March I did a blog post about my challenge results, which created a lot of discussion online and spawned two news articles, including the cover story in yesterday's Province (province-wide BC paper)!

Here are the links:
http://www.theprovince.com/business/Young+living+cheaply+Vancouver+bring+Freedom/9692666/story.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/03/cheap-vancouver-rent_n_5084899.html?1396551687&utm_hp_ref=canada-british-columbia

And here's the blog post that spawned it all:
http://incomingassets.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/grocery-tracking-one-month-results/

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
Congratulations on making the news!  Great article, it sounds like you really have your priorities in order.

It is interesting to me that there are many single people on this thread who seem to come in at or below $100 for the month, but with a couple the food bill seems to more than double.  Anyone else notice this?  Is it possibly due to wanting to cook nice meals to eat together, or due to cumulative constraints on meals both halves of the couple enjoy?  Or are the single people eating out or at other people's houses more frequently?  There are some lower-cost meals I would probably eat more frequently if I was single, but maybe I spend more by trying to accommodate my husband's preferences when shopping, but I'm not sure.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
Congratulations on making the news!  Great article, it sounds like you really have your priorities in order.

It is interesting to me that there are many single people on this thread who seem to come in at or below $100 for the month, but with a couple the food bill seems to more than double.  Anyone else notice this?  Is it possibly due to wanting to cook nice meals to eat together, or due to cumulative constraints on meals both halves of the couple enjoy?  Or are the single people eating out or at other people's houses more frequently?  There are some lower-cost meals I would probably eat more frequently if I was single, but maybe I spend more by trying to accommodate my husband's preferences when shopping, but I'm not sure.

I think once you are part of a couple it becomes less socially acceptable to eat the same thing for two weeks at a time. Or you make the same things, but because there are two people eating it it goes twice as fast.

Also lifestyle changes usually happen as well.  Life gets a lot busier when your trying to accommodate two or more schedules and tastes - and there is definitely more thinking about the other person.

Cooking together is also one of our main hobbies and we are usually rushed through dinner on a way to a meeting 4-5 nights a week - so we do spend a little more on good ingredients on the weekend as we can cook and relax and get a jump on the prep for the upcoming week.

Also, the grocery budget (at least ours) is slightly bigger while entertainment has dropped since we are doing more "having people over" which usually includes some sort of snacks/meals.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »
I think once you are part of a couple it becomes less socially acceptable to eat the same thing for two weeks at a time.

Oh this, for sure.  Because of mine and my fiance's opposite schedules, I'm often home alone at dinnertime and will eat *whatever* - scrounge something out of the corners of the fridge, call a handful of chips & salsa a meal, or even not eat anything.  But when he's home, I can't stuff a handful of something in my face when I feel hungry, that'd be rude!  If one of us is hungry, we should sit down and eat a proper meal.

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »

I think once you are part of a couple it becomes less socially acceptable to eat the same thing for two weeks at a time. Or you make the same things, but because there are two people eating it it goes twice as fast.

This really depends on the person. I'm single with a low grocery budget, but I almost always eat a proper dinner, and I usually cook whatever looks interesting on foodgawker, so I'm never eating the same thing for two weeks. Leftovers last only two or three days. Also, in this community I would expect less deference to social propriety!

Why do all of you assume that "nice" ingredients or "nice" meals are expensive? Are you referring to grass-fed beef, organic produce, and imported cheeses? If so, then that's your answer. I never buy high end meat nor organic produce (unless it costs less than the non-organic variety). Last night I made a beautiful dish, homemade cavatelli pasta in a tomato and pea sauce with sauteed garlic and thyme and porcini pork sausage. That's three ingredients for the cavatelli, and four ingredients for the sauce. Cavatelli is a relaxing pasta to make with someone else since it's hand rolled, and all of those ingredients are pretty cheap except for the sausage which is used as a small ingredient rather than a star. Each serving comes to about $1.40 before tax.

I think if you lived alone for an extended period you would find that eating alone does not lead to eating chips and salsa for dinner, for example, very often. You might only eat that way when your significant other and/or children aren't around, because you want a break from cooking. Perhaps you spend money more on cooking with or for your significant other because you feel like you can justify the added cost if you're spending quality time together. That's fine, but it's healthy to acknowledge that spending more in that case is a choice, not a necessity for nice meals.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »

This really depends on the person. I'm single with a low grocery budget, but I almost always eat a proper dinner, and I usually cook whatever looks interesting on foodgawker, so I'm never eating the same thing for two weeks. Leftovers last only two or three days. Also, in this community I would expect less deference to social propriety!

Why do all of you assume that "nice" ingredients or "nice" meals are expensive? Are you referring to grass-fed beef, organic produce, and imported cheeses? If so, then that's your answer.

There are a TON of factors when it comes to grocery shopping and they multiply when you are in a partnership. For example, if it weren't for my husbands job, we would NEVER have come to live where we are, where bare bones groceries are so, so much high and "nice" groceries consist of produce that may be six weeks old, but at least haven't started to dry out/or mold.

While living by myself, I had the flexibility to live wherever I wanted, and had a much lower food bill. Also I found that personal tastes play a HUGE roll and it gets trickier when a partner has allergies and food issues. So do you make two separate meals, one using higher priced ingredients because it is necessary, and another cheaper meal for yourself?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:19 AM »
Before my boyfriend and I moved in together, we each ate much more repetitively by ourselves (chicken breast with frozen veggies for him, or maybe noodles with canned tuna and frozen veggies; pasta with fresh veggies and a little cheese for me), and I'm willing to bet those meals are cheaper than what we usually cook now together. I don't think either of us could tolerate eating the other's "single person meals" for long.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
I am going to do this for April. Anyone else in?

My grocery bill continues to be higher than I'd like.
I'm in for April! March was very helpful.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »
My goal is to spend no more than $160 in April.  It's just me.  My average for Jan - Mar was $183 per month.  I really want to get that down.

Here is what I have spent so far in April

non-dairy milk    $6.24      15%
leafy greens    $3.18      8%
other produce    $15.66     38%
grains     $8.08        20%
molasses     $4.29       10%
tofu     $3.58      9%

total:    $41.03

My goal is to spend no more than this:

Non-dairy milk:  $15
Leafy Greens:  $30
Other produce:  $60
Tofu:  $15
Grains (quinoa, kamut, oatmeal): $20
Beans:  $10
Coffee:  $10

We shall see!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:22:48 PM by NinetyFour »

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »
Wow-  i am absolutely floored and inspired by the low grocery bills here!  We're a family of 4 (two small kids) and 1 large grocery trip is already in the books for April where we spent $143.15!  Plus another $61.33 this past week on a couple of trips out.  Facepunch.     

This thread has inspired me to stem the tide so to speak, and see if we can kick ass for the rest of April.  I'll start tracking here as well. 

payitoff

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »
Summary   category    percent
bread   15.25   11%
canned goods   3.59   2%
condiments   5.03   3%
kids snacks   9.16   6%
meat   27.42   19%
packaged food   9.97   7%
produce/fruit   16.26   11%
produce/veg   5.70   4%
rice/pasta   23.28   16%
snacks   14.43   10%
deli   2.34   2%
non-food   1.40   1%
frozen   5.48   4%
bulk   4.57   3%
total      

Grand total   $143.88   100%

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:31:06 AM by 2wakefulFlea »

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »
I've updated March - yikes!! I'm going to try measuring price per serving per Budget Bytes, see if it helps modify the way I put meals together.

Total: 936.95 for a family of 4. Here's the breakdown from mid-month. Count me in again for April.

25% Eggs, poultry, beef. Fish
18% Fresh produce
7% Coffee, tea
7% Snacks
9% Milk, yogurt, cream
5% Dessert (homemade tiramisu for a special treat)
5% Cheese
4% Orange juice
6% Condiments
2% School lunches
2% Baking supplies
2% Nuts
1% Frozen/can produce
2% Cold cereal
2% Pasta sauce
1% Grains
1% Bread

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
Here's my (almost) half-month totals:

Dairy
3.69   Cottage Cheese
3.99   2% Milk
3.99   2% Milk
2.58   1/2 Lb Smoked Cheddar
5.16   1 Lb Shredded Mozzarella
3.99   1 Lb Extra Sharp Cheddar
Subtotal: $23.40

Produce   
1.48   Lettuce
1.04   Yellow Squash
0.50   Lettuce
1.52   1.03 Lb Fresh Green Beans
1.38   1.08 Lb Roma Tomatoes
Subtotal: $5.92

Protein   
2.99   Eggs
Subtotal: $2.99

Starches
1.69   Hot Dog Buns
1.49   Taco Shells
1.88   Mexican Rice mix
Subtotal: $5.06

Other   
1.99   Salad Dressing
0.95   Taco Seasoning
Subtotal: $2.94

Fast Food   
6.87 Hardee's
Subtotal: $6.87

Non-Food   
3.17   Shampoo
Subtotal: $3.17

Grand Total: $50.35

We have a good amount of meat in the freezer, so I haven't needed to buy any.  Wow, HALF my spending so far has been dairy?  I knew we liked our dairy, but wow!

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
Happy tax day fellow Americans (and happy 15th of April to everyone else)! Last week I had one of my trice annual Costco trips for dairy, pantry staples, and household products (the latter is not included in my totals below). I also picked up 10 lbs. of onions for $5.99 since onions have been running at $1.12 per pound at the grocery store for the last two months according to my tracker spreadsheet (thanks of the inspiration, Zikoris and everyone else here!). One onion was moldy on the bottom, but I was able to save about half of it by cutting it immediately when I got home and using it, cooked, in a dish that evening. The other onions appear unaffected, but I’m watching closely for any signs of spoilage. 9 lbs. of usable onions for $5.99 is $0.67 per pound, much better than the grocery stores’ best prices lately.

I try to run under budget in the three months preceding a Costco trip, and this trip was paid for with reserves built up in January, February, and March, but in the spirit of this thread I’m going to try to finish out April with only $20 for the next two weeks. It should be a fun challenge. To help me get there I just bought a 10 lb. bag of organic carrots for $6.99 plus tax (not included in the totals below). What better way to celebrate the Easter season than by eating ten pounds of carrots in two weeks? I look forward to my mother’s concerns over my jaundiced complexion. I’m planning the following meals (six servings each, all carrot based):

Carrot and corn soup garnished with lemon and cilantro with pitas on the side
Stir fry scallion sesame noodles with caramelized carrots and soft boiled eggs
Chickpea korma with carrots and peas over rice (I might change the rice to quinoa for more protein)
Thyme roasted carrots and corn on the cob (10 for $2 next week) with rolls and honey butter
Apple and carrot ravioli in sage brown butter (I might need a side for this, the plate seems skimpy, suggestions?)

The produce necessary for the above that isn’t already in my fridge plus the carrots should cost around $16. I shouldn’t need anything else, but I have $4 to play with if the produce runs out before the end of the month or if I need eggs, and I have a few pantry meals up my sleeve if need be as well (linguini in pesto from the herb garden, egg drop soup, “ramen”, spiced lentils in pitas, parathas, etc.). I also have a few beers left in the fridge and some bourbon on the counter; when I drink I’m less hungry.

My birthday is next week, so I guess I’ll make a chiffon cake frosted with the excess strawberry buttercream from my mom’s birthday cake made last month. For cake flavorings I’ll use chocolate, rosewater, and almonds. I already have all the ingredients I need for that.

Here are my totals for the first half of April. I’m single, so these are one person, 15 day totals:

Category     Cost        Percent     Pounds     $/lb.     
Produce$17.4618.1%17.1 lbs.$1.02/lb.
Beans$  1.17  1.2%  0.6 lbs.$1.98/lb.
Grains$  7.69  8.0%20.0 lbs.$0.38/lb.
Meat$  4.00  4.1%  1.0 lbs.$4.00/lb.
Dairy$35.0439.4%11.0 lbs.$3.19/lb.
Eggs   -   -   -   -
Pantry$23.4826.4%  6.0 lbs.$3.91/lb.
Alcohol/Coffee   -   -   -   -
Prepared   -   -   -   -
Sales Tax$  7.50  7.9%
Total$96.4355.7 lbs.$1.73/lb.

Meals cooked:
Cavatelli and thyme porcini sausage in peas and tomatoes
White bean soup with cooked kale, rosemary sausage, and garlic crostinis
Apple bourbon sausage over garlic mashed potatoes with green beans and bourbon mustard sauce
Linguini with pesto
Tomato and zucchini tian with quinoa tabouleh

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
Heart of Tin, your menus sound absolutely amazing!!! My mouth is watering :)

netskyblue, I was really shocked at our dairy spending too. This is definitely an eye-opening challenge!

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »

netskyblue, I was really shocked at our dairy spending too. This is definitely an eye-opening challenge!

Thanks! It helps that I have only myself to please, so I can experiment freely. My goal is to be really good at cooking by the time I need to feed others daily.

Dairy is ridiculously expensive. Apparently it's an effect of rising dairy exports and maybe rising feed costs, see: http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/marketing-outlook. I have personally compensated by cutting everyday milk consumption. As of last fall, I no longer keep milk in the fridge.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »

Thanks! It helps that I have only myself to please, so I can experiment freely. My goal is to be really good at cooking by the time I need to feed others daily.

I think you're there! :)

Recipe please: Stir fry scallion sesame noodles with caramelized carrots and soft boiled eggs

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
We've been pretty consistent at the 800-900/month grocery spend since I started tracking expenses 4 years ago. I'm starting to watch prices more and shop around. I am basing my meals around what's the cheapest thing that week. This weeks the kids are scarfing down sweet potato pie in little cupcake servings. They think they're getting a fancy dessert but it's just a pumpkin pie recipe with no crust and a few tablespoons of honey rather than sugar.

Fortunately, all the grocery stores around here price-match each other so I only need to go to 2 places (one for the best produce, one for the best fish & cheapest milk/eggs) and bring a handful of flyers. I cycled this week! Half an hour one way and a heavy trailer back, but I feel empowered :) I still have to drive half an hour to the ethnic store for stocking up on grains and fermented milk stuff, but I only go every other month.

Mid month total    $403.11   
16%   63.77   Milk, yogurt, cream
13%   53.82   Coffee, tea
11%   45.44   Grains, pasta
11%   42.81   Condiments
10%   39.86   Fresh produce
10%   39.51   Eggs, poultry, beef. Fish
6%   25.3   Cheese
5%   21.86   Snacks
5%   20.49   Nuts
4%   15.27   Baking supplies
4%   14.68   School lunches
2%   9.95   Wine
2%   6.59   Juice

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
It's really greasy, but delicious! You can cut the grease by stir frying a veggie mix quickly instead of caramelizing the carrots. Also feel free to substitute any noodles you like in place of homemade. Marinating the egg is optional.

Stir Fry Scallion Noodles with Caramelized Carrots and Soft Boiled Egg
Makes 6 servings.

Ingredients

1/2 c. water
1/4 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 Tbsp. mirin (sweet rice wine, substitute dry sherry or white wine with sugar added, I use sweet vermouth)
1 Tbsp. sugar
3 eggs

1 tsp. baking soda baked for 1 hour at 275 F (baking is optional, but will yield a chewier noodle you can also use baked soda to make pretzels and Chinese buns)
1 c. hot water
4 c. flour
1 egg
1 tsp. salt

enough oil or butter to caramelize the veggies
carrots, cut as either matchsticks or angled chips
onions, chopped, about 1/3 the volume as the carrots
salt
Chinese 5 spice powder

2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/3 c. neutral oil like peanut or canola
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 bunch scallions chopped, reserve a few Tbsp. for garnish
1/2 c. vinegar
1/3 c. soy sauce
scant 1/4 c. sesame oil
2 tsp. sugar

Method

Soft boil and season the eggs.
1. The night or morning before, combine the water, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
2. Soft boil 3 eggs by adding the eggs to a pot of boiling water for 6 minutes. The exact boiling  time will depend on your elevation. Immediately run the eggs under cold water until they are no longer warm to stop the yolks from cooking. Peal the eggs.
3. Place the marinade and eggs in a small baggie. Remove as much air as possible so that the eggs are covered in marinade. Place in the fridge for about 8 hours. Do not marinade for longer than 12 hours. The whites will get rubbery and the yolks, grainy.

Mix the noodle dough.
1. Add the baked soda to the hot water. Stir to dissolve.
2. Add the flour, salt, and egg to a big bowl. Mix in the water, and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
3. The dough will be shaggy. Resist the temptation to add more water. You will probably need to switch to using your hands instead of the spoon. Continue kneading until the dough comes together. If absolutely necessary, add 1 tsp. of water at a time. It takes me 5 - 10 minutes to mix this dough.
4. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let rest at least 20 minutes. The flour will continue to hydrate as it rests, and the protein structure will relax so that the dough is easier to work with.

Caramelize the carrots.
1. Heat oil or butter in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and onions once the oil is hot. Salt to taste. The salt draws out the sugars in the carrots and onions, so don't skimp. Add Chinese 5 spice powder to taste. (Chinese 5 spice powder is cinnamon, star anise, pepper, fennel, and cloves if you DIY spice mixes).
2. Cook "low and slow" for about 45 minutes, stirring to ensure even cooking. Don't rush the cooking or you'll end up with burnt or bitter carrots instead of sweet carrots. At the end of the cook time you can turn up the heat to finish them for added color.

Make scallion oil.
1. Heat a small pan, dry, over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds. Toast until golden. Set aside.
2. Return the small pan to the burner, turn the heat to low. Add 1/3 c. oil. When oil is warm, add garlic and scallions. Cook until the scallions turn brown and crusty, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir together the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar in a separate bowl. Set aside.
4. When scallions are cooked, reserve 4 Tbsp. of oil, and add remaining oil to the vinegar mix.

Cook the noodles.
1. Fill a large pot with water. Add salt to season. Bring to a boil.
2. Divide noodle dough into workable quantities. I divide into 6 pieces. Run through a pasta machine to a medium setting or roll by hand as thin as possible; if rolling by hand, rest the dough for 10 minutes anytime it becomes too springy to work with covering with a towel to avoid drying out the dough. Cut into thin strips. (You can freeze the noodles after cutting. Coat well in flour, and freeze individual servings in baggies. Add directly to boiling water when ready to eat.)
3. Boil noodles for about 3 minutes until firm and chewy. Immediately rinse thoroughly in cold water.

Stir fry.
1. Heat the 4 Tbsp. of reserved scallion oil in a large pan. Add noodles. Fry until heated through. Add remaining scallion oil mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to your liking. At the last moment, fold sesames seeds and carrots into the noodles. Remove from heat. Garnish with reserved chopped scallions and half a soft boiled egg.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:17:23 PM by Heart of Tin »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Here's where I am:

non-dairy milk:  $12.81_______11%______($15 budgeted)

leafy greens:  $9.54_____8%______($30 budgeted)

other produce:  $35.42______31%______ ($60 budgeted)

grains:  $22.57____20%_____($20 budgeted)

coffee:  $3.79   ________3%________($10 budgeted)

molasses:  $4.29_______4%_______($0 budgeted)

tofu:  $10.14_______9%_______($15 budgeted)

beans:  $11.65_______10%_______($10 budgeted)

tea:  $2.5_______2%_______($0 budgeted)

Total (with tax):  $116.29

I have overspent in the grains and beans categories, and also bought molasses and tea, which I didn't anticipate.  In planning for next month, I will bump up the grains category, as I continue my love affair with kamut!

The most exciting thing for me is that I may be able to keep the grocery bill under $150 or even $140 this month.  Yay!  (For comparison, in 2012, I spent an average of $272 per month, and in 2013, I spent an average of $233.  Just on groceries--which for me is just food and beverages.  Yikes.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:04 PM »
Haven't tracked, but groceries are stupid this month.  I think I've spent $407, plus whatever my husband spent at CostCo and random Fred Meyer stops.  At least it includes a giant spiral ham and 5 chickens that will await in the freezer until next month, but also some facepunch worthy crap.  Getting lettuce and radishes out of the garden, but looking forward to having it produce much, much more than that.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
aren't all these little revelations fun?

I'll post at the end of the month, we'll probably have to do 1 more  little shopping trip because we have a potluck at our house this weekend for a board meeting. Hoping to use mostly what I have on hand, but seems like the "Eat up all the food in your house" thread is stating to finally show.

The biggest change other then being conscious with spending came about via Hubby. We were in the store and he said he feels like  chips...I shot back with "Well then you get to be the one to put it in our grocery spreadsheet" I was (mostly) kidding.

He stopped, pondered and said "well you know, this probably shouldn't come out of grocery money. We don't need it, it doesn't offer any nourishment, maybe if we want "junk" we should take it out of our fun money."

So that's what we have decided to do, we really don't buy junk food that often, but it is a really good way to make us stop and think if we really need it, or why we think we do.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »
I'm setting up a spreadsheet right now! I have an old one with a few receipts entered in for working out cost per serve of each meal but I've gotten lazy in the last few months.

This place is great for motivation!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:58 AM »
Okay, I considered this challenge in March, and then again in April, but I just wasn't ready to commit.  See, DH does the shopping and cooking, but he does not do much of anything with our finances.  I am always careful to criticize our food spending, because I think he sometimes takes it as a personal criticism.  He's a great cook, and he loves to cook, so I do tread lightly.

However, I think our food spending is just too high!  In March, our groceries were $979 and our restaurant spending was $284.  So far in April, we've spent $754 on groceries and $318 on restaurants.  We are a family of four.

So, I'm going to try to categorize things in May, and see where we can cut back. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
I hope to not buy any other groceries for April.  With that assumption, here are my April numbers:

$15.00 budgeted: non-dairy milk $15.40   (12%)
30.00 budgeted:    leafy greens $12.72   (10%)
60.00 budgeted:    other produce $48.38   (33%)
20.00 budgeted:    grains $26.16   (20%)
10.00 budgeted: coffee $3.79   (3%)
0.00 budgeted: molasses $4.29   (3%)
15.00 budgeted: tofu $10.14   (8%)
10.00 budgeted:    beans $11.65   (9%)
0.00 budgeted: tea $2.50   (2%)

$160.00 budgeted   total spent: $138.69   (including tax)

This is the first time in 28 months that my grocery spending has been under $140 in a month.

For comparison, in 2012, I averaged $272.08 per month, and in 2013, I averaged $232.72 per month.  Just for groceries.  For just me.  So far, this year, my monthly average is $171.94.  Wow--that's $100 less than what I was spending in 2012!!  Yay!!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »
Did a small shop at the market today, picking up meat and veggies: $24.74 for the coming week. Pretty happy with that, especially since I got home and had a day of cooking! Chili con carne ($1.95 per serve, made 7 serves) and pastitsio ($2.54 a serve, makes 6 serves I think, it's still in the oven).

With a bunch of these fellas in the fridge ($0.37 per serve) I'm in pretty good stead for the near future! Looking forward to seeing my stats for next month.

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
Anybody ready to do this for May? I certainly am! I did 2/3 of my May grocery shopping today, and hope to keep the budget set at $400 for a family of 4 (well 4 and one on the way, but not counting yet!). This is the first I have come across grocery budgets broken down by category. I'm predicting that our high % will be on dairy and produce...

I usually shop at Costco, Trader Joe's and Fred Meyer.

Trader Joe's: Total Spent $69.43

Bakery : $ 1.99 - corn/flour tortillas              2.86%
Baking supplies: $ 9.75 - baking powder, coconut cream, peanut butter chips 14%
Breakfast: $13.96 - cereal for the month 20.1%
Condiments : $0
Dairy: $ 4.48 -buttermilk and unsweetened almond milk 6.4%
Meat : $ 15.26-beef, turkey, chicken and soy chorizo 21.97%
Pantry: $ 8.46 - veggie, chicken and beef broth. 12.18%
Produce :$ 10.05 -corn, arugula, peas, limes, lemons 14.47%
Random: $ 1.19 - unbaked pizza dough. I've always wanted to compare to my homemade. 1.17%

Breakfast,meat and produce were the highest. I'm surprised at how much the cereal added up too! The kids are hooked on peanut butter puffins right now! I'm also a bit annoyed that I spent nearly $9 on broth. In the past I have made it myself, but the idea of it is gross to me at the moment (pregnancy hormones I guess!) I know the Costco receipt was mostly dairy, meat, veg and random things like chia seeds and headache medicine.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:16 PM »
Prices are in KRW / USD.

2014 04      
Total    441,190   $427.95
Baking   18,900   $18.33   4%
CSA           351,000   $340.47   80%
Dairy           19,760   $19.17   4%
Drinks   6,900           $6.69           2%
Fruit           4,300           $4.17           1%
Meat & Eggs 9,100   $8.83           2%
Packaged   5,920           $5.74           1%
Pantry   14,970   $14.52   3%
Veggies   10,340   $10.03   2%

Well, that certainly looks odd! I paid for 13 weeks of CSA this month. Let's look at it with only 4 weeks of CSA included:

2014 04      
Total   198,190   $192.24
Baking   18,900   $18.33   10%
CSA           108,000   $104.76   54%
Dairy           19,760   $19.17   10%
Drinks   6,900           $6.69           3%
Fruit           4,300           $4.17           2%
Meat & Eggs 9,100   $8.83           5%
Packaged   5,920           $5.74           3%
Pantry   14,970   $14.52   8%
Veggies   10,340   $10.03   5%

These numbers are very interesting to me because I just started opting into the organic CSA. I really like the idea and want to support it, but yeesh that's a big chunk of change! I've also been buying antibiotic-free eggs and milk that hasn't been ultra-pasteurized. My quality of life has improved through these choices, I'm eating healthier, and I feel better--until I look at the numbers. I'll think on my choices over the next couple months; I can probably find a balance between my desire to save more and my love of my new eating habits.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:40:27 PM by nikki »

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »
My total is coming down each month :) 
Major changes I've made are preparing my own bread, not buying cold cereal, making more bean-based meals, and using the local flyers to get the best prices.
I was hoping to calculate meal costs per serving, but it's too much work right now.

19%      Fresh produce
16%      Eggs, poultry, beef. Fish
15%      Milk, yogurt, cream, butter
9%      Snacks
7%      Wine
7%      Condiments
6%      Coffee, tea
5%      Grains, pasta
5%      Baking supplies
3%      Cheese
3%      Nuts, seeds
2%      School lunches
1%      Pasta sauce, can soup
1%      Juice

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
This month’s grocery spending includes a Costco trip for things like flour and cheese, so the Pantry and Dairy categories are inflated, and my monthly total is over the $100 per month that I budget for. However, I had saved a total of $30 for a Costco trip in February and March, and I only spent $115 total in April, so I actually finished $15 under budget for February - April. I’ve only spent $19.38 since 4/15, meeting my goal! I guess this calls for a stop at the liquor store for a celebratory 6 pack (just kidding – it’s already in the fridge, and it’s only a 5-pack now).

For context, I’m single, and I only include food in my grocery spending. These are numbers for one person only and include all food spending except for my birthday dinner in April, paid for by my dad, and a “thank you” lunch in March for a friend that helped me build some planters on my apartment balcony, paid for by a different budgetary category (Gifts).

CategoryApril      2-mo. Total  Average %  2-mo. Amount
Produce$ 31.78$ 59.2631.9%67.1 lbs.
Beans$  3.76$ 11.5713.1%  5.0 lbs. (dry)
Grains$  7.69 $  7.69  3.3%20.0 lbs.
Meat$  4.00 $ 17.6910.3%  5.0 lbs.
Dairy$ 35.04 $ 35.0415.1%11.0 lbs.
Eggs$  5.19$  7.94  4.0%  3.5 dozen
Pantry$ 23.48$ 25.47 11.4%  6.2 lbs.
Alcohol/Coffee   $  -$ 14.99  9.4%12 beers
Prepared$  -$  -
Sales Tax$  9.18$ 15.58  8.0%
Total$115.81$195.22

Those beans look expensive. I had garbanzo beans twice, so that’s pushing the unit price up since those tend to be pricy around here. Does anyone have a substitute for dishes where you want a big starchy bean with some bite to it? Garbanzos are my default bean when I need a good “backbone” to add to a dish. For instance, I use it in Korma to replace chicken and add a contrasting texture to the vegetables.

Also, what is up with egg prices lately? None of my grocery stores have had a worthwhile egg special since early March, not even for Easter! I was tempted to go in for the 5 dozen at Costco since the price per dozen beats my average lately even though it was pricier (about $2/dozen) than the deals I’m used to. If this keeps up, I’ll need to switch over to egg-less noodles which aren’t as filling.

Now onto May! It’s off to a good start; my spending is 92% alcohol at this point. I’m looking forward to visiting the Farmer’s Markets which really get going around here at the tail end of April.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
I fell off the wagon hard in April (ouch), mostly due to a week of work-related travel. My sweet boyfriend did manage to save most of his receipts during that time, but I was just lazy and stopped entering things. Time to get back on it for May... I have a few receipts already so I better do them tonight so I don't forget!!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
I did pretty well in May. My housemate is having a lot of trouble with money so a lot of extra meals were donated to his cause, but on the other hand I bought a lot more fast food than I usually do, so the amount of meals cooked was probably about average.

The Misc category was strangely high, since I had to stock up on a few different tea types and some mustards/sauces for cooking. Meat is high as well, although in Australia it's a lot more expensive than the USA to buy meat, but I still think I can take that down.

May total: 214.49 (one person, Australia)

Goals for June:
  • Eat less junk food!
  • Try to cut back on meat, buy more veggies instead
  • Go to the market more often, instead of being lazy and hitting the supermarket near my house
  • Make more bread
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:52:02 AM by Ascotillion »