Author Topic: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS  (Read 17974 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
No swimming, no stairs. My body said "no" today and I need to listen to her. I'm all too capable of powering through things with an iron will, but finally, in my late 30s I've learned that that just leads to over exertion and injury.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 03:14:53 AM »
19,660 Steps

Was a physical exhausting day. Gonna work on the fliphouse a few hours this morning and then head down the Highway again and probably get home around 1am in which I will get back at it tomorrow. I am hoping to get my minimum 15k Steps in though today. Will see.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2019, 04:31:51 AM »
22,594 Steps
weighed 205.0 on the head this morning

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2019, 04:38:35 AM »
Took my bike out yesterday for the first time in a long time and a great ride. I'm feeling some overuse pain this morning though, so I'll be taking the next 3-4 days off, other than physio and light walking.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2019, 05:27:57 AM »
Goals: Lose another 20 lbs by end of year. Start practicing a little for the 5k.

I lost 20 lbs in the first few months of the year but then these last couple months of summer I've been just barely maintaining my weight loss. I've been on travel since mid May so it's been really tough to stick to healthier home cooked meals. The goal is to get into a healthy weight range because my spouse and I plan to start trying to start a family in January. I also signed myself up for a 5k in January so I have a specific exercises end goal as well. I gave myself one year to get in gear from when we decided to have kids last December, gotta keep trying! My family tends towards the hefty side so I'm fighting a lot of genetics and cultural attachment to food (especially breads lol).

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:15 AM »
Goals: Lose another 20 lbs by end of year. Start practicing a little for the 5k.

I lost 20 lbs in the first few months of the year but then these last couple months of summer I've been just barely maintaining my weight loss. I've been on travel since mid May so it's been really tough to stick to healthier home cooked meals. The goal is to get into a healthy weight range because my spouse and I plan to start trying to start a family in January. I also signed myself up for a 5k in January so I have a specific exercises end goal as well. I gave myself one year to get in gear from when we decided to have kids last December, gotta keep trying! My family tends towards the hefty side so I'm fighting a lot of genetics and cultural attachment to food (especially breads lol).

Welcome! Summer has been a bit of a struggle for me as well this year. Usually I am the opposite but to many indulgences this year. 1lb at a time!! Summer is going to be over before you know it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2019, 03:24:19 AM »
8/24/19

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
I think I shifted .5-1# this week, but with every day scale fluctuations, it's hard to say.  Sticking with the low-carb, whole foods plan, and feeling good.  Hit my two workouts this week and walked at lunch.  I did get a little lazy about the standing v. sitting likc a sack of potatoes at work, so I will try to improve that next week.  Did 4.5 miles this morning about 2/3 of the distance jogging and the rest walking.

Next week I'm challenging myself to get out and run or walk 2 mornings before work.  I always waste about 45 minutes each morning online before I go to work, so time is not an excuse.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »
Steps 15,151
Weight 206.4

Got a morning walk in. Couple more weeks and I can get back to the gym. That will help things along. Today gonna be most likely a day off from walking I have a 7-8 hour RT drive in front of me.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
Survived prep week!

Sleeping in this weekend was difficult. Encouraging myself to take naps helped weekend sleep get up to 8 hours and minimize the anxiety spiral, but all the sleep lost last week is just gone. Today I'm feeling like myself again. The self-care subscription box I get came in, and included sleep hygiene/ritual items like a quality sleep mask, ear plugs, and a rose water spray to put on your pillow. First time I've used it, but I think the sensory distraction of the rose water helped my brain slow down.

The workout yesterday was great - I finally figured out what was making my bench presses weird (seems obvious, but without the aid of gravity my shoulders only allow my upper arm to go in line with my body, no further. The weight was encouraging me to go beyond my shoulder's capacity.) And I really focused on glute activation throughout all exercises (especially arms) and it really made things feel more stable.

A win today would be working on mobility/flexibility. I've let my back tighten up. I keep ogling online flexibility courses, but I know what to do. I "just" need to do it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
Walked about 11000 steps yesterday, which was about 8000 steps too many, lol.

Took it easy today, cooking, a bit of floating in the pool, nothing strenuous.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2019, 04:13:19 AM »
Yesterday with all the driving I had to do turned out to basically be a day off so only 5365 Steps.

EuroGap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2019, 07:09:52 AM »
Not too late to join?

I haven't had any place where I've posted for accountability when it comes to fitness goals before, so I reckon this could be a good place. I love being active, and frame my days along the lines of "today I'm going climbing, but with a bit of work (8h ) first. I usually visit the climbing gym with friends 2 times a week, and get out running on trails an additional 3-4 times a week.

Some goals:

Climbing: Get comfortable on 5.12a

Running: Sub 40-minute 10k

EDIT: Just saw the runners thread (sorry), so I'll head over there to be more on topic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:15:19 AM by EuroGap »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2019, 03:56:20 AM »
Welcome @EuroGap glad to have you!

8/28
16,258 Steps

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2019, 02:57:19 AM »
In the last 10 days I managed to run 5 times (40 mins, 75 mins, 12 mins, 45 mins, 41 mins). I should have tried to squeeze at least 1 more run in, but whatever, next week I'll try to run 5 times, as following: 40 mins, break, 60 mins, 40 mins, break, 40 mins. 88 runs to go.
Push-ups: I don't feel it, I made 2x20 yesterday, but I was too weak to do more. I guess 4 months without going to the gym has taken its toll on my strength...
Pull-ups: no progress

That's an awesome track record (eh?) of runs!

Pull ups are hard to jump straight into. Can you count a negative version? Jump up to the top of the pull up, then lower down to a count of five. They are actually really brutal, but doable even if you don't have a pull up yet.

Today, we hauled the rig out because some acquaintances in the building said they wanted to try silks. Ended up juggling and doing trapeze/straps for over an hour without anybody showing up. It's a little demoralizing, but nice to play at full height once in a while.

Thanks for the tips! :)
My problem with pull-ups is that I can't find a good place to start doing it (there are some street-workout places in my neighborhood but they lack this 'equipment'). I have no choice but to go to the gym :)

Since my last post (18/08/2019) I did the following:
- 4 runs (60 mins, 12 mins, 22 mins, 36 mins) -> I should have run much more, but I was on vacation and also the weather tricked me once
- very few push-ups and zero pull-ups -> my plan is to reach 1000 push-ups by the end of September as a warm-up, and I'm planning to go to the gym to do pull-ups
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:06:46 AM by kaposzta »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2019, 04:03:14 AM »
8/28/19

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2019, 04:42:32 AM »
Yesterday: gym+stairs, skipped the pool because I just had my hair done

Day before: physio and some Pilates

Today: damn I'm sore

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2019, 04:12:07 AM »
8/20/19

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Workouts have been consistent. (No news is good news, in a way.) Well, I went for a run Monday night because I needed a distraction. I've also started doing "animal walk" mobility as my warmup, and that's been a really good addition. I feel like I get to do some mobility without having to designate time for it.

Sleep has been rough. Modal night at 6.5 hours. It's a 4 day weekend (hooray labor day), but I was UP at 6am this morning. Had to coax myself back to sleep, but I did manage to sleep in for another cycle this morning. Anxiety has been at a general, ever-present but ignorable state. This week would have been awful if I'd had to pull a 6-am-to-9-pm on back to school night like my full-time coworkers, so I'm very grateful for asking and being granted that transition last year.

Coffee, doing OK. I had it twice as a teaching day treat after school. Trying not to make that a habit.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »
Got my strength workouts in this week, but didn't walk before work.  So sleeeepy... zzz.  Walked at lunch 3/5 days.  One day I had appointments in the morning, then teleworked, and the other I ran an errand at lunch instead.  Did pretty well on using my standing desk and made good food choices.  I'm getting back to the point where I enjoy my workouts, and I know I'm working harder, because I made myself sore from my smaller, 30 minute Wednesday night workout this week.  No new lower weight achieved this week, but the up swings seem to be staying at a lower number, so I think I'm headed the right way, or at least exchanging some fat for muscle.  Running again tomorrow morning.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
8/31/19

8229 steps kinda took the day off and debating this whole weekend just let all my joints rest

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »
Got a few kilometers in walking yesterday, but now I am very, very sick and likely won't leave bed for awhile.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
@Malkynn hope you feel better!!

9/2/19
7579 Steps , not bad considering I drove about 11 hours Roundtrip yesterday.

Should get steps up today though I was going to just give me knees a break but I have work to do

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2019, 07:07:53 AM »
@Malkynn hope you feel better!!

9/2/19
7579 Steps , not bad considering I drove about 11 hours Roundtrip yesterday.

Should get steps up today though I was going to just give me knees a break but I have work to do

Ugh, no...still in bed :(

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2019, 03:03:14 AM »
9/3/19

12,054 Steps

@Malkynn , thought i was getting something yesterday but fortunately was just the sniffles though I napped most of the day. Hope you feel better!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »
Fell off the wagon a little this weekend.  Missed my workout on Sunday and ate some cake and drank a beer and more wine than I should have.  I'll get back on my regularly scheduled workouts tomorrow.  On the up side, no knee or ankle issues from my Saturday morning run.  3 years in I'm ready to call my ankle injury a thing of the past, knock wood.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2019, 03:42:32 AM »
9/4/19
6522 steps

Didnt feel very well yesterday

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »
Okay, I need to get back on a healthier wagon. We have had a TON of change lately, between sending my oldest off to college and making a dramatic move ourselves...I've detailed it elsewhere here but we downsized from 3,690 square feet to 1,642 square feet...a very short move of one mile but getting rid of a whole house worth of stuff, all while prepping to send my oldest across the country for college. Needless to say, my self-care has taken a nosedive in the middle of everything else! My regular running and yoga have pretty much been nonexistent, food has been a nightmare, and I've gone from having a drink a few times a week to 1-2 every day. I got on the scale today and I'm up 10 pounds from the last time I got on said scale...and 40-50 from where I really want to be. My ankle I hurt last year has been aching and I've been having pain that I think is Plantar Fasciitis. I'm sure the extra weight is not helping. I will be in a wedding next summer and have a vacation planned for next April on a beach...It's time for me to say enough and take care of myself again!

2019 year end fitness/health goals:
minimum 10,000 steps per day, every day
minimum yoga 2x per week
minimum running 5 miles per week...starting once it isn't quite so hot...let's say beginning Oct 1.
goal weight for end of 2019 is to lose 20 pounds...starting weight today is 180, ugh. No "diet" just portion control, moderation with treats which have been too prevalent lately
cut alcohol to no more than 1 drink per day initially for rest of September, will evaluate and reduce further in October

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2019, 07:03:05 PM »
Welcome! Summer has been a bit of a struggle for me as well this year. Usually I am the opposite but to many indulgences this year. 1lb at a time!! Summer is going to be over before you know it.

Thanks! Yeah, usually I'm more active in the summer but high stress and continuous travel have made me sluggish. I am still at no gains but no losses either these last couple weeks. I'm trying to be grateful to myself for maintaining even under stress. I'll be back home in a few weeks and then hopefully I can get on track with improving my health again.

I'm rooting for all of you!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2019, 04:18:40 AM »
9/5/19
12,127 steps
Didnt weigh in

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2019, 04:23:38 AM »
I don't weigh myself due to past disordered eating, but I want to start going to the gym in my building more.  I currently do a pilates class twice a week and a ton of walking due to not owning a car.  I want to go to the gym twice a week for some cardio during lunch.  It's free and in my building so no excuse.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2019, 02:37:14 AM »
I don't weigh myself due to past disordered eating, but I want to start going to the gym in my building more.  I currently do a pilates class twice a week and a ton of walking due to not owning a car.  I want to go to the gym twice a week for some cardio during lunch.  It's free and in my building so no excuse.

Welcome aboard @Hula Hoop

9/6/19

18,579 steps
Didnt weight myself going on a short weekend Vacation so dont want to know!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »
Got a question - how do you know how many steps you do in a day?  Do you have a fitbit?  What is the mustachian consensus on them?

I have a serious heart condition so I've thought about getting a fitbit for heart monitoring but I could just see myself getting a little too obsessed by number of steps and hours of sleep.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »
Got a question - how do you know how many steps you do in a day?  Do you have a fitbit?  What is the mustachian consensus on them?

I have a serious heart condition so I've thought about getting a fitbit for heart monitoring but I could just see myself getting a little too obsessed by number of steps and hours of sleep.

Any smart phone will track your steps.
That said, 10,000 really is an arbitrary number based on one study put out by the makers of pedometers. No joke.

Walking is great, but there's no reason to walk at least 10,000 steps. I usually aim for ~7000 because that's a nice 5km and my hips and knees don't hurt.

As for heart health, what kind of metric are you looking to manage? What has your cardiologist recommended?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »
@Hula Hoop I don't have one, but there are cheap knock-offs on Amazon with good reviews for about $30. 

I'm somewhat waiting for the smart watch/GPS/fitness tracker tech to merge and gel a little more.  But also, I figure it would be confounded by horseback riding, and I would have to remove it to prevent damage when kettlebell training, which is my main form of strength training.

The heat here in Idaho broke over the last 36 hours, so outdoor exercise should be much nicer going forward.  I see people out running when it's 95, and I don't know how they do it.  Well, I do, but I just hate hate hate running when it's over 80 or so.  Got out and did my 4.5 mile loop this morning.  About 2/3 jogging and 1/3 walking.  With the cooler weather this week, I will get a mid-week 3 miler in.  Weight isn't shifting, but I can see the musculature developing in my shoulders especially, and my riding breeches feel a bit looser around the waist/hips so at least some recomposition is happening.  It took until today to drop the weight from last weekend's sins, so I'm motivated to stay on track this weekend and set myself up for clean eating when I go back to work next week.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »
As for heart health, what kind of metric are you looking to manage? What has your cardiologist recommended?

My cardiologist hasn't recommended any kind of fitness tracker.  Without getting too personal, I have a serious heart issue which might recur so I kind of like the idea of tracking my heart rate.  I guess it's comforting.  I also need to keep my heart rate below a certain level while exercising. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
9/7/19

17,071 steps

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »

My cardiologist hasn't recommended any kind of fitness tracker.  Without getting too personal, I have a serious heart issue which might recur so I kind of like the idea of tracking my heart rate.  I guess it's comforting.  I also need to keep my heart rate below a certain level while exercising.

I have a wonky heart too, I understand the urge to monitor it.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »
I have a Garmin tracker with a heartrate monitor built in, but TBH I mostly use it for sleep. (It has a measurement for deep/REM sleep, but I don't know how accurate it is.) I like the Garmin interface, it was cheap enough (refurbished model). Occasionally the stress monitor will tell me to breath, and usually it's right and I should take a moment to settle. They all have their limitations, and I have to take everything off for aerial. My SO has a more advanced one and it can tell what activity he's doing in the gym, and counts his reps for him, with about 95% accuracy, so that's cool.

Had a solid workout today. We've been working out every-other-day consistently for 5.5 weeks now, which is crazy! I've also done an hour of stretching twice in the past week, where did that come from??? Generally feel good, though my shoulders were tight enough last night to interrupt sleep. I've been doing mobility/PT during warm up, so I'm not sure what to do about it now.

Sleep is OK. My consistently inconsistent schedule means I get 6 hours one night, 8 the next. Better than 6 every night, but probably not the healthiest.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2019, 05:02:51 AM »
9/8/19

19,441 Steps yesterday, again alot of walking around my DD's university.
No place to weigh in at the hotel. Be home tomorrow morning but a bit scared about what it might stay but the DW and I needed a nice weekend away.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2019, 05:36:40 AM »
9/9/19
15,985 Steps

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
Aaaand I finally lost a pound, which puts me at my lowest weight in about 3 years, and past the 50% mark on the way to my goal weight.  7# to go!

It's funny, I've been eating pretty low-carb, and added back in a few carbs in the form of cantaloupe and some root vegetables because I'm going to eat what I've grown, and boom, finally a small weight loss.  This has been my sticking point when I've lost a couple pounds at various points in the last few years, so I'm psyched to be pushing past it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2019, 03:53:56 AM »
9/10/19

Congrats @horsepoor

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 03:51:45 AM »
9/11/19

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »
9/11/19
down two pounds, 178. 38 to go.
no running yet
no yoga yet
drinking has been better; no more than 1 drink a day and not even every day since I first posted here
mostly making my 10,000+ steps per day goal, 74,020 total for last week

I find for me, 10,000 is pretty easily attainable if I just make a modicum of effort. When I am running it's over 20,000 most days. My employer does a "wellness" competition thing regularly and 10,000 is usually the daily target so I try to make it my minimum. As for tracker, I have an AppleWatch...it's an older model (the first waterproof one) without cellular. I like it for running and swimming better than the fitbit I used to use. A Garmin seemed like overkill for my level of activity plus I didn't really like the ones I tried.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2019, 03:51:35 AM »
9/12/19

Keep up the good work @FireHiker

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2019, 03:44:47 AM »
9/13

Happy Friday the 13th!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2019, 06:08:11 AM »
Still not well, plus all energy is being diverted to getting a house ready for unexpected sale.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2019, 06:11:38 AM »
9/15/19

8630 Steps

Today and tomorrow my steps are going to be down. I just need to take these two days off as I have been in a grind and am physically exhausted and my knees, hips, you name it are to damn sore.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2019, 04:54:36 AM »
9/16/19
Did not weight in

Chilled as i said i was going to do. Aches are less but sure will act back up today as I cant sit around anymore

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!