Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 402704 times)

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3100 on: November 07, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
Woot woot @slackmax you are getting it done!

My recent victories include taking my shorts to the tailor to get the waist taken in instead of having to find and buy new shorts. I also cleared some space in our bookshelf headboard (spilled water boo) and am rather liking the look of the uncluttered shelf so it might be time to move the books to the main shelves and keep the bedroom clearer.

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3101 on: November 09, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
I worked my plan. I got tired of looking at the 2 big bags of 'perfectly good, new-looking clothes'. (All T shirts and lightweight sweaters) and put them in the car and drove them off and plopped them down in the covered outdoor donation place.

GOOD JOB!!!!

Way to go, Slackmax!  Isn't it a relief?

Tyson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3102 on: November 09, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
I worked my plan. I got tired of looking at the 2 big bags of 'perfectly good, new-looking clothes'. (All T shirts and lightweight sweaters) and put them in the car and drove them off and plopped them down in the covered outdoor donation place. 

Here's something to consider - the people receiving the clothes from your donation.  Think about how much happier someone will be to get almost new clothes.  When you donate nice things, the people that get them are much happier than if you donated crap.  Something to consider when you're looking at your piles of 'perfectly good' clothes.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #3103 on: November 10, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »

GOOD JOB!!!!

Way to go, Slackmax!  Isn't it a relief?

It's not the perfect solution, which would be to sell them all, even for 50 cents  each. But yes, it is a relief not having them around anymore!   

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3104 on: November 10, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
I've been diligently working away to continue decluttering and here is my new list.  Aiming for 25 items by Christmas, but ore would be better.  I think I was a bit delusional in thinking I was close to my click point!

1. Paperback - going to animal rescue garage sale.
2. Plastic water bottle - same.
3. Glass canister - same.
4. Plastic Sieve - same.
5. Unopened bag of latex gloves - same.
6. 3 VHS tapes - same.
7. 2 cans of expired drink powder - garbage.
8. Mother lode of plastic bags - garbage.  (Hate to throw out plastic, but I won't live long enough to use them all!)
9. Broken dog tie out cable - garbage.
10. Odd sock found behind dryer - thrift store for fabric recycling.
11. Screen remnants - thrift store.
12. Unopened face lotion - same.
13. 2 rubber grips for opening jars - same.
14. Length of wire cable - same.
15. Food Saver bags - same.
16. Yet another plastic plant pot (hopefully the last) - same.
17. Cat toys my cats don't play with - drop off at old work place for cat-owners.
18. Surplus vegetable seeds - same.
19. Unopened can of peppermint tea - dropped off at food bank bin.

Since it's getting more difficult to just stumble across thing in the course of the day, I've taken to picking an area and emptying it, cleaning it thoroughly, then putting back whatever I want to keep.  It's nice to see some cupboards half empty and motivates me to get more ruthless in my efforts.  I'm realizing I have a drinking glass and cup fetish though - soooooo many!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3105 on: November 10, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
I've been diligently working away to continue decluttering and here is my new list.  Aiming for 25 items by Christmas, but ore would be better.  I think I was a bit delusional in thinking I was close to my click point!

4. Plastic Sieve - same.
6. 3 VHS tapes - same.
8. Mother lode of plastic bags - garbage.  (Hate to throw out plastic, but I won't live long enough to use them all!)
17. Cat toys my cats don't play with - drop off at old work place for cat-owners.

Since it's getting more difficult to just stumble across thing in the course of the day, I've taken to picking an area and emptying it, cleaning it thoroughly, then putting back whatever I want to keep.  It's nice to see some cupboards half empty and motivates me to get more ruthless in my efforts.  I'm realizing I have a drinking glass and cup fetish though - soooooo many!

Do you not think thrift stores and food banks use plastic bags?!

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3106 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »

4. Plastic Sieve - same.
6. 3 VHS tapes - same.

Do you not think thrift stores and food banks use plastic bags?!

Yes sure and I do donate grocery type bags, but these are just odd bags like from dog and cat food, water softener salt bags etc.  I use what I can for yard waste and such, but canít keep up with the supply.  I hate sending them to the land fill, especially empty, because they must take centuries to break down, but they arenít recyclable here.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3107 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
-Sold another couple of items on eBay
-Gave my dad all of my read mystery books. He brings them home & shares them with friends, as they don't have a local library

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3108 on: November 11, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
Only a small thing - but big psychologically - I decluttered tubes of watercolour paint.  Don't use them (they are not professional quality pigments) so finally got brave enough to admit I am a paint snob and someone who is less experienced or snobby than I could get some enjoyment from these.  Bye bye.

One too small raincoat and two winter coats made it to the donation pile. 
A too small big disappeared from the sidewalk.
The large useless metal storage cabinet is now at the metal recyclers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #3109 on: November 12, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
This weekend I cleared off two areas that have been piling up detritus over the busy spring and summer seasons:  my desk and the workbench in the garage.  Went through the pile of papers on my desk and burned most of it last night (along with a couple pieces of scrap wood too small to use for anything). 

I gave a hay net to the stable where my horses live.

Used some old bedsheets  to make tail wraps for the horses.

Last week I sold a pair of boots on eBay.

Project for this week will be getting the shop cleaned out an organized, which it desperately needs.

Going to box up some extra canning jars and give them to a co-worker whose son is raising bees and selling honey.

Have several outdoor plant pots I need to give away.  Might just curb them with a free sign.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3110 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
I'm clearing out the spare bedroom in expectation of guests after Christmas, so -

5 boxes/bags of books now in the car ready to go to the charity shop.

4 paintings waiting to go to the next local art auction.

Fabric remnants and old sheets with holes to go to fabric recycling, along with a few metal bits and pieces.

Still work to do on clothes and various oddments.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #3111 on: November 13, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
Was going to take about 100 huge CVS plastic bags to recycling, but decided just to take the ripped ones (about 15) and just stuff all the rest into one of the bags, and keep them for who-knows-what. They really do compress a lot!  I may use them somehow in my car boot sales next year. Don't want to ever be short on huge CVS bags, lol. 

Donated a book to the senior center. Dropped off a 3 feet by 3 feet book case at salvation army.

Currently eying some old technical IBM work manuals full of 'invaluable nostalgic interest' to someone on EBay, perhaps. (Not).... Every so often I take a few more down to recycling, dump the paper contents, and keep the binders. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #3112 on: November 13, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
Tidied up the basement yesterday.  My telework space is there, but it had turned into a bit of a dumping ground over summer, so I've been avoiding telework due to the mess.  Got rid of:

Old mattress pad
Bag of batting

To go to H4H Re-Store:
Fireplace screen/door thing
Several pendant light covers

To go to the Youth Ranch thrift shop:
An old saddle
A food mill I haven't used in several years
Excess canning jars

Considering selling: 
My weight set and 50# kettlebell
Large coffee table

shadesofgreen

• Bristles
« Reply #3113 on: November 13, 2019, 11:31:30 AM »
3 boxes of kitchen things and shoes donated on Monday.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3114 on: November 14, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »
Another 3 boxes of books gone, 2 moving boxes worth of stuff, and my ancient desktop.

LaineyAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3115 on: November 14, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »
Ö.   Currently eying some old technical IBM work manuals full of 'invaluable nostalgic interest' to someone on EBay, perhaps. (Not).... Every so often I take a few more down to recycling, dump the paper contents, and keep the binders.

slackmax, I would definitely consider posting that technical material on eBay.  Besides nostalgic retirees, there are archivists and also law firms who are always looking for that material.
I've heard of at least one person who fished some of that type of documentation out of a dumpster from a car manufacturer.  It included blueprints for making car parts from discontinued models. He used that info to make reproduction parts for serious car restorers and ended up with a very successful business. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3116 on: November 14, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Two boxes of books, a box of glassware and cookie sheets, and a bag of odds and ends out of the house.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #3117 on: November 14, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
Ö.   Currently eying some old technical IBM work manuals full of 'invaluable nostalgic interest' to someone on EBay, perhaps. (Not).... Every so often I take a few more down to recycling, dump the paper contents, and keep the binders.

slackmax, I would definitely consider posting that technical material on eBay.  Besides nostalgic retirees, there are archivists and also law firms who are always looking for that material.
I've heard of at least one person who fished some of that type of documentation out of a dumpster from a car manufacturer.  It included blueprints for making car parts from discontinued models. He used that info to make reproduction parts for serious car restorers and ended up with a very successful business.

Thanks! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try putting it online.