Author Topic: Time to quit coffee, among other things  (Read 9735 times)

tomq04

• Stubble
Time to quit coffee, among other things
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
I have "quit" coffee about 4 times this year, this last time addiction came back with a vengeance.  Over thanksgiving break, i left my beans and grinder at work, and had to go to mcdonalds twice for coffee (i did bike)!  The shame was real, so i'm ready to cut the (daily) juice for good. 

In addition, i have just plain not been feeling right, when that happens i usually do 3 things.  Fast, quit drinking alcohol, and cut out caffeine.

I'm sticking with #'s 2 and 3 for now, and will worry about fasting in a week or so.

How i've quit caffeine before:
1.)Drink tea for a week, it puts off the headaches
2.) quit drinking tea.
3.) done

Beer/Wine?
1.) stop drinking

I've done this, and can do this, but will use this as a bit of motivation for myself, after all public declaration increases success!

Anyone want to tag along on this insane journey?

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Time to quit coffee, among other things
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
I'll join you.  I quit alcohol cold turkey on Nov. 15th when I got a positive result on a pregnancy test.  I thought it would be harder, as I was a daily fan, but when there's a really good reason to quit, it isn't hard at all.  I've been feeling great since then --- not as tired in the morning, which is surprising because now I have all these fun hormones changes going on.

I only drink 1 cappuccino on each weekend day (homemade).  I drink tea maybe 2-3 days per week, and mostly just to keep warm when I turn the thermostat down.  This is trimmed back from a 2 large cups of coffee daily.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
You won't get me to follow you on your journey as I am trying to follow the good old traditional morning routine of my Italian peasant grand-fathers, which is to drink caffe corretto, which means corrected coffee: one or more shots of espresso with one (usually more...) shots of grappa. Caffeine AND alcohol. They lived to an advanced age and led a full active life, thanks in part to a good diet with moderate amounts of strong coffee and alcohol, mostly cheap red wine...I like those traditions!

But I wish you all the best on your plans!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
You won't get me to follow you on your journey as I am trying to follow the good old traditional morning routine of my Italian peasant grand-fathers, which is to drink caffe corretto, which means corrected coffee: one or more shots of espresso with one (usually more...) shots of grappa. Caffeine AND alcohol. They lived to an advanced age and led a full active life, thanks in part to a good diet with moderate amounts of strong coffee and alcohol, mostly cheap red wine...I like those traditions!

But I wish you all the best on your plans!

Haha, I'm starting to drink coffee now.  I've heard good things and I get it free at work so why not?  I'll be replacing soda with coffee so I should get the same amount of caffeine.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
I'm on board.
I also decided last night to go cold turkey on beer and all forms of non-nutritional food product.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
I plan to go back to moderate (key word here) amounts of wine once the pregnancy thing is over.... but that's still quite a few months of savings.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
I have "quit" coffee about 4 times this year, this last time addiction came back with a vengeance.  Over thanksgiving break, i left my beans and grinder at work, and had to go to mcdonalds twice for coffee (i did bike)!  The shame was real, so i'm ready to cut the (daily) juice for good. 

In addition, i have just plain not been feeling right, when that happens i usually do 3 things.  Fast, quit drinking alcohol, and cut out caffeine.

I'm sticking with #'s 2 and 3 for now, and will worry about fasting in a week or so.

How i've quit caffeine before:
1.)Drink tea for a week, it puts off the headaches
2.) quit drinking tea.
3.) done

Beer/Wine?
1.) stop drinking

I've done this, and can do this, but will use this as a bit of motivation for myself, after all public declaration increases success!

Anyone want to tag along on this insane journey?

No, but I wish you well. Coffee is one of my last vices. Will only say goodbye when they pry the cup from my cold hand.

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
I've never quit coffee because it's just too damn good.  I have on occasion built up my tolerance to be drinking   4+ cups a day.  Once It starts affecting my sleep at night, I know it's time to cut back!  I find the tea method works best.  Tea for a week, then only water, then start back at 2 cups of coffee.

As for alcohol, I too have taken a breather after the Thanksgiving holiday. 

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
No, but I wish you well. Coffee is one of my last vices. Will only say goodbye when they pry the cup from my cold hand.
Same here.. I really don't want to give it up, and I can't see why one would. It's just too good :)

But all the best to you!

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Coffee and alcohol are both best in strong moderation. Using either daily is bad for your health and can be expensive.  Try to quit and just use them for special occasions.  Coffee tastes better when you only have it twice a week as a treat.   Beer or wine is pretty fabulous when you just save it for special events.

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
Day 1:  Made it through strong, including 2 cups of black tea at work.

This morning:  my wife had a pot of decaf made, i indulged a cup.  No tea until after lunch, and my headache is FIERCE!  Sipping my 2nd cup, trying to remain productive at work (failing).

For what it's worth, i love coffee/beer/wine as much as anyone.  My body has been feeling awfully funky the past month and i've definitely been having a drink every night (not over drinking, just 1 beer or 2 oz of scotch), and noticed my coffee habits bumping up to 3 cups minimum.  Stress level has been high, so i'm heading back to straightening things out.

Smoothie fast will start next week, i'll share some recipes, hopefully someone will have fun with me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
Day 1:  Made it through strong, including 2 cups of black tea at work.

This morning:  my wife had a pot of decaf made, i indulged a cup.  No tea until after lunch, and my headache is FIERCE!  Sipping my 2nd cup, trying to remain productive at work (failing).

For what it's worth, i love coffee/beer/wine as much as anyone.  My body has been feeling awfully funky the past month and i've definitely been having a drink every night (not over drinking, just 1 beer or 2 oz of scotch), and noticed my coffee habits bumping up to 3 cups minimum.  Stress level has been high, so i'm heading back to straightening things out.

Smoothie fast will start next week, i'll share some recipes, hopefully someone will have fun with me.

Can't you titrate down using variable ratios of decaf/caf beans?

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

Can't you titrate down using variable ratios of decaf/caf beans?

You sure can!

I noticed within my body a real sense of feeling "off", and along side Alcohol/caffeine, the acid in coffee could be problematic, so i'm trying to avoid the decaf for this week as well  (failed yesterday). 

My headache is gone, I had a single cup of tea this AM and have yet to have a 2nd, feeling pretty good.

I premeditatively (SP)  know that I will have to have a beer monday night (friend I haven't seen since high school is coming to town), but nothing else this week until then.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »
Go Tomq04!

I gave up routine coffee a while ago and feel much better. I used to be a big coffee drinker when I was younger, and to be honest I love my coffee, but I don't like how it makes me feel. I have 1 cup three days a week at work at lunch.  The only other coffee is on the rare occasion I might eat out in the morning or lunch...can't remember the last time.

Unfortunately I took up tea and 85% chocolate...I think I'm using them as caffeine replacements. So  I'm with you brother: I will stop all coffee, all chocolate and wean the tea.

I only drink water, tea, coffee and wine occasionally...I've been thinking about going to water only like mortgage mutilator. Will save a lot of money and hassle.

Charlotte

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »
I have recently reduced my daily coffee consumption from 5 cups every morning to 3. And the past couple of days I have noticed that I am done after 2 cups. Including right now. It actually makes me a bit sad. I simply love my morning coffee...

Now we need to get into the habit of making less coffee, so we can actually see the savings!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
I don't mean to brag but this is all I (and the wife too) drink all day, every day, ever.

Water.

Not to brag, but so does almost everyone else in the world

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
I don't think I'll ever completely give up coffee but I have cut back recently.  Averaging about 2-3 cups a day now which is better than 5-6.  I guess its something lol

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 03:39:20 AM »
I don't mean to brag but this is all I (and the wife too) drink all day, every day, ever.

Water.

Not to brag, but so does almost everyone else in the world

Yup, but I'm betting most of those people don't have too much of a choice about it. It's either water (likely dirty water too) or you die of thirst. I don't think I know of one other person besides my wife that ONLY ever drinks water. At parties? Water. Open up their fridge? Water. At work all day everyday? Water.

Maybe our friends/coworkers are all weird though, does anyone else know anyone that exclusively drinks water even though they live in a 1st world country and could drink anything they wanted to?

Until I started drinking coffee a couple months ago, me.

Thought this was a funny perspective to share in a thread about stopping coffee :-p

Edit: I'm also drinking the chamomile tea I got for my boyfriend while he was visiting! So tea and coffee have been added to my mix. Yum!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:41:19 AM by nikki »

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
I think this is day 6.

I had a cup of green tea (~20 mg) yesterday, and decaff coffee in the evening.
Friday was the bad day, I finally got wind that I failed my 3rd CPA exam part, in my frustration I went and had a beer with a co-worker at lunch and a bit of scotch after dinner.  Only had one cup of black coffee friday though (~35 mg).

I'm going to have some hot decaf at church today, and no other caffeine at all today, so I am right on track.  Also mentioned is the beer I will have to have with my friend coming to town tomorrow night...but so far so good, and I am feeling GREAT!  I can safely bet that all that caffeine was adding some unnecessary stress to my life ( I have come to this conclusion in the past when I would quit).

Thanks for sticking it out with us!

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
Yesterday was successful in no caffeine, and going strong today.  Waking up isn't any harder than I would have expected, in fact the "fogginess" isn't there at all.

Last night my aforementioned friend came to town and 3 of us drank plenty of birthday beers, and he bought me a huge bottle of Makers Mark, which I will enjoy a glass of tomorrow, and maybe Christmas.

I am feeling better in general, and while i haven't started my smoothie fast, I will start supplementing tonight or tomorrow, whenever we run out of salad...

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »
I'm halfway tempted to let this die, after ~6 days I was completely off caffeine, I woke up today at 5:30 with no grogginess and felt great and ready for the day.

I can't say for certain caffeine is what was causing my system grief through November, but I do know too much of a good thing isn't good (3 cups +/day).

I'm back to allowing myself a glass of beer or whiskey at the end of the day, but i think 3 days/week is a much better idea than 6 or 7.

Thanks for the fun, you can quit anything you want too!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
It's fun to go for a set period - not forever, but surely you can stick it out for December.  I will go 1 to 1.5 months on no-alcohol and I don't even notice it after the first time I go to the fridge for a beer and remember "not until next month!".  I've been thinking on going coffee-less for a month or two, but there's a hot cup sitting in front of me right now. So...  maybe no coffee/booze in January while I use up some coffee grounds.

It's been a couple days since you last posted - off or on the wagon?

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
I don't think I could ever live without coffee. At any point in time I am either addicted to soda or coffee. Right now on a 2 month coffee binge. At least its super cheap compared to soda and has some health benefits...

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 03:08:03 AM »
Funny thing has happened. I've been having coffee maybe 2-3x a week at work i.e. 2-3 cups a week or often not all. I bought coffee for Xmas as family who are coffee drinkers were staying.  They didn't drink that much, so I have some to finish off: which normally I would do with glee.  But this time I just want my tea and no desire to drink coffee.  What the?

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 06:48:34 AM »
I quit coffee last year, but I've started drinking tea; however, I doubt I'll quit.  I mainly quit coffee because of dehydration, and I'm drinking mainly green tea which doesn't make me feel as wired / dehydrated. 

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
I've had maybe 5 cups of coffee since that first week of December, no more headaches and I feel clear headed as soon as I wake up.  I have been drinking decaff since it's around, not to have a cup after dinner without worrying about being wired.

Feels good man.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
Awesome!

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
I've been slowly decreasing my caffeinated coffee since November. I've been stepping down in 1/4 increments. 1/4 caffeine, 3/4 decaff. I did that for November. December was half and half. January was 1/4 caffeine, 3/4 decaff. Although now I split the decaff with chicory which is not caffeinated at all. Decaff still has some caffeine. I'm doing 1/4 caffeine, 1/4 decaff, and 1/2 chicory right now. I've also reduced the sugar I put in my coffee. I'm down to 1 1/4 teaspoons.

I figure by February or March I'll be off caffeine all together. This initially started so I could get a baseline of how I really feel during the day and if caffeine was a problem. I have to say, I feel pretty good. I aim for 8 hours of sleep every night and I workout at least every other day. I will probably continue to drink the chicory though. I love the morning ritual. Plus, chicory is almost half the cost of the coffee we buy.

Keep it up!!!

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
I've heard tall tale of chicory, I believe i've only had it once...I think it was good?

Where do you get it?

My new years resolution was to not buy any alcohol for the house, thus forcing me to brew my beer!  First batch is aiming to be a hopped up amber, or maybe i'll just cheat and do a mac and jacks clone (same idea).  Haven't brewed in over a year, so should be fun to get back into it.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »
Only during 1st trimester of pregnancy.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
I got my chicory from nuts.com. I'm sure amazon has it too.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
Water.
Never any coffee. Never any alcohol. Never any tea. No sports drinks or cordial. No juices.

This is what I want to do.
And I'm usually fine on the workdays. Nice safe environment. Eat in lunch. No temptations, no problems...

Unfortunately, any time I do go out to eat this has prompted binge drinking soda refills. Let's just say, copious amounts of soda is probably a vice I will need to confront... right there along with buffets....sigh.. another vice...