Author Topic: Thinking about 2013  (Read 25993 times)

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
Re: Thinking about 2013
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
TODO for 2013,

increase net worth by $35,000 - this is mostly pure raw saving my income.

reduce electrical consumption by another 10% (1021kwh) to get $75 reward plus the $106 or so that 1021 kwh would have cost - last year I had a 21% reduction worth $75 reward plus $206 in savings

finally do something smart and figure out a real investment plan.  I've got way way too much in GIC's and Cash.  I'm thinking a well balanced spread of ETF's in my TFSA. Something with dividends. I'd just like to see something actually growing at better then 2%...

Change the rear garden up adding a greenhouse (already have it just needs paint and new glazing/poly), fence the entire thing (dog and kids are hard on gardens) build a chicken coop and get 4 chickens, change about 1/2 of the bed into raised beds all with the goal of producing 50% of our caloric needs in the backyard,  including 100% of the veg and eggs.   

I'd also like to take a vacation this year.  In 8 years of knowing my wife I've never taken her more then 3 hours from the house.  Her family is back east and a good chunk of it is getting old enough we may not have much longer to go see them.

Nice to have's assuming I can fit it includes finding another source of income.  100-200 a week extra from the comfort of my own home is the goal.    I'm not sure if that's possible or not.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
Great thread!  I have two major goals:

Pay off car - $3900 - this should actually be accomplished by February

• Use $2,000 dollars from emergency fund, and $300 from furniture sale
  • Bringing me down to $1600, which should be easy to pay off if I stay under budget in January
Pay $24,000 on student loans
  • Stay under $1500 monthly budget each month, and this will be pretty easy.

D-T

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
Goals for 2013:

Pay off my student loans. 18k~ to go

Pay off my car. 5k~ to go.

Max out my Husband's Roth.

Start working on DH's 11k of student loans after his grace period ends Dec '13.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
Start working on DH's 11k of student loans after his grace period ends Dec '13.

Just FYI, it's likely that your student loan provider is still charging interest and adding it to the principal during this "grace period." I was deferring payments in grad school until I found this out, then I started paying them. There is no free lunch with these guys!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
I've been jammin' on budgets and 2013 goals today and had a couple that came up as I was getting a better grasp on our financial life:

1) Pay down the $30,000 in student loans my wife has. I'm hoping to hit at least the half way mark, if not better through some serious changes in our spending.

2) Reduce grocery bill (and eating out tab) through more cooking/eating at home. As a father of two young children who works from home I've found it easy to slip into just grabbing something because I'm stressed, busy or tired.

3) Move from contract to prepaid cellular when contract is up later this week. (easy change that will save us $100 a month)

4) Lose 25 lbs through better eating (see grocery bill), less drinking and more exercise - including yoga.

5) Absolutely kill it with amount of time spent (and freed up) with my young ones.

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
1. Quit job (my side business now far exceeds p/t job income).
2. Sell second car (needed for my job) and clear out cc debt.
3. Refi (can't do this until car is sold and clear out debt bc of credit score).
4. Sell off/give away crap we don't need (reasonable value from resale: $2,000, put into savings).
5. Rebuild 6-months of expenses fund (blown out by 5-figure medical bills in 2012).
6. Increase that to 12 months.

We can do the above with a fair amount of work. The real stretch would be:

7. Find trip for 3-5 family members to go overseas this summer for 2-3 weeks to visit family we haven't seen in 10+ years.
8. Save for Disneyworld for January 2013 trip (yeah, yeah -- it's the one thing our 10 yo has wanted for years and we couldn't do it -- we'd do it on the cheap).

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:45 AM »
My goals:

Run marathon
Save/invest:$5500 my Roth, $5500 his Roth, $17500 my 401k, $30,000 taxable
Learn Italian
Practice yoga a few times a week
Build second garden box/ increase yield
Build pergola for deck
Start blog
Fix up car
Finish knitted blanket/next year xmas presents
Make some new friends
Read less web/ more books

I'm sure there are many more but these come to mind! I may edit later.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:54:30 AM by zinnie »

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about this, and here's what I got:
  • Reach a 40% savings rate by March 31 and a 50% savings rate by June 30
  • Go to two open houses per month for real-estate research
  • Net $3K through a side business
  • Chat twice weekly with my fiance about budget/money/goals/etc.
  • Work with my fiance to clean up his credit
  • Clean up my eating (I'm kickstarting with Whole30: no sugar, dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, etc., for a whole month)
  • Take an art workshop
  • Find a fitness thing I like (thinking about getting a NYC Fitness Passbook for this)
  • Restart my personal blog
  • Meet with a career counselor
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:22:15 PM by mustachecat »

D-T

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »

Just FYI, it's likely that your student loan provider is still charging interest and adding it to the principal during this "grace period." I was deferring payments in grad school until I found this out, then I started paying them. There is no free lunch with these guys!

Thankfully they're subsidized otherwise we'd start working on them ASAP.

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »
My 2013 Mustache Makeover

Financial
  • Contribute $10,000 to Roth IRA ($5000 for 2012 and $5000 for 2013.  I already have $8000 set aside, but have been waiting to see how the market reacts through the next month or two.  I’m also doing this instead of putting it straight towards my student loans because I can’t make up these contributions in the future)
  • Pay off $15,000 of Student Loans
  • Make $1,000 in side income

Health
  • Eat out 25 times or less
  • Bike 90% of the time around town (including to work, grocery runs, and other errands within a 5 mile radius)
  • Do 120 consecutive pushups in 2 minutes (50 more than my last best)
  • Do 25 consecutive pull-ups (twice my last best)
  • Run a marathon
  • Bike 100 consecutive miles

Relationships
  • Call my grandparents once a month
  • Call my 2 closest out of state friends once a month
  • Start a monthly game night

Personal
  • Drive less than 2500 miles (My girlfriend lives 35 miles away, but I'm hoping to crush this goal)
  • Read 20 non-fiction books
  • Watch less than 250 hours of tv
  • Watch less than 50 movies
  • Finish the rough draft of my book
  • Launch a website of my own
  • Record my own 12 track album (may include covers)

Note:  Thanks to everyone for the inspiration for some of these in the previous comments

veritasnoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The More Known
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
2013 goals:
  • Publish non-fiction book
  • Publish fiction book
  • Read 12 new books
  • Host 4 big events (25+ people)
  • Run 365 miles
  • Bike 100 miles
  • Save $200/m in housing expenses (rent?)
  • Write 1 short story each week
  • 100 consecutive pushups

Just started running this year, so the 365 goal should increase each year from here on out.
*adding the ability to do 100 pushups
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:46:58 PM by veritasnoir »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
Fitness Goals:
5 10-week cycles of You Are Your Own Gym strength routines
weigh under 175 by April 8, maintain (or lose more if it happens on its own) until end of year
2+ hours of cardio per week
.5 hour stretch at least 4 days per week

Music Goal:
1500 hours (30/week) combined of music production and DJ'ing. No specific achievement in mind since that seems to be changing monthly for me, but I know I'll put the time to good use

General Goal:
Make a weekly calendar to manage my time. Review calendar and goals progress every Saturday (yes, it's in the calendar)
Keep a journal on here to track achievements

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Keeping it simple:

Finances

1. Stick to food budgets by minimizing eating out, making homemade kids' snacks, optimizing grocery shopping. Renegotiate food budgets mid-year to try to lower them further.

2. Eliminate car payments.

3. Stay financially organized. Got this mostly handled, but focus on business finances. Invoice promptly and go after deadbeats more aggressively.

Health

5. Exercise daily: Planks, walking/running/biking.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
1. Try at least one new recipe a week (work my way through a cook book), helping me to expand my cooking skills and decrease the temptation to buy prepared foods.
2. Bike to work post-move at least 2-3 days a week working my way up to 100%.
3. Max out 2013 Roth (Check!)
4. Volunteer for at least two new organizations (signed up for one already)
5. Ask for a promotion/raise at work.
6. Host a game night at least 4 times.
7. Stretch more days than not (really need to work on this!)
8. Increase net worth by at least 20k.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Health:
Buy that freezer-ful of grass-fed beef we've been talking about in our house.
Continue our trend of buying better food, but being mindful of the cost.
Continue working out at least a few times per week.
Buy a bike.
Actually ride said bike for short trips around town.

Wealth:
Get back on the college bandwagon, and be able to afford every penny out of pocket.
Max employer match on 401k.
Open Roth IRA and fund it at least $2K.
Spend as much on my cell phone in the whole year as my girlfriend does in a month on hers.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
So many things.

Bike to work over 90% of the time. Got a bike in September.  Since then, I've biked nearly every day (a couple days I was without because it got stolen and I had to buy a new one, once the chain was acting all funny, but so far I haven't skipped out from weather).  This is both financial (public transit passes are going up; in a couple weeks it will cost $100 a month) and for weight loss (I've lost 30lbs since I got the bike).  I also use it as my primary means of transportation.  I need to get a folding rack for the back, so grocery shopping is a bit easier to manage.

Be more social. I have so many friends and acquaintances in this town... but there's like four or five that I see with regularity.  It has literally been months since I've seen some of them.  Part of it is me focusing on my weight loss journey, but a lot of it has just been me being lazy.  To accomplish this I am going to...

Get back in the habit of using Google Calendar. Life is better all around when I use Google calendar religiously.  I see gaps and fill them with social things.  I keep track of upcoming interesting events.  I feel accomplishment when I look back and see all the things I've done.

Lose 50 pounds.  This sounds absurd, but I've lost 30lbs in about three months, so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, and get down to my goal weight this year.

Live off of one paycheck or less.  I've been doing this for the last few months, but, as I noted, I haven't been very social.  The goal is to be social and frugal.

Get a Microsoft certification.  Most people agree that these don't really matter, but I need to get it for work, so I'll pop it in this list.  Although I have way less than a year to get it done.

Weight lift.  I've got "New Weight Lifting Rules for Women" in the mail, and apparently it has a 6 month weight lifting plan.  So, I want to do that.  Took a kettlebell class that I adored, but the promotional groupon price isn't the real price.  The actual price is far too expensive, so I'm going to try to do stuff on my own.  Results will be slower, since I won't have someone pushing me, but oh well.  I've got a free gym membership until the 18th, after that I need to decide whether the $50 a month is worth it.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
I'm diggin your thought process frugalcan.  A lot of women like stumptuous.com as a weightlifting source.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
I love this thread!  New Years is my favorite holiday, and I'm especially excited for 2013 because there should be some big changes ahead (*hopefully* leaving high-salary job for a PhD program & thus moving somewhere as-yet-determined, relationship status change, etc)

My goals:
1) Max out Roth IRA (Done as of this morning :))
2)Treat my body better -- bring lunch to work at least 2x a week, spend less than 350/month on all food/groceries/eating out (so eat out way less, cook more groceries).
3)Not buying clothes (exception -- I'll likely have to buy some dresses for all the weddings I have this summer).  I'll aim for under $500 for the whole year.
4)Learning to sew -- enough to make homemade stuffed animals, basic clothes (like t-shirts or leggings), and make at least one dress.
5)Update my blog twice a month
6)Radically pare down all of my stuff when I move -- all of my possessions should fit into a car
7)Take a solo vacation (I've never done that)
8)Write my first book
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:09:42 PM by dinarik »

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
2012 was the year where I really turned myself around and got my shit in order so 2013 will be even better!

2012 achievements :
  • Erased 5k of credit card debt
  • Saved 10k to put as downpayment on a condo
  • Bought a condo with my gf!

By the end of the month we'll officially be owners and move in our new condo, it was a really stressful year but I'm extremely satisfied of everything we have accomplished.

2013 goals :
  • Limit 1 restaurant per week, cook more at home
  • Max out TFSA (5k)
  • At least 1k extra payment on the mortgage
  • At least 1k in my RRSP
  • Use my credit card to get cashback but don't pay a single cent of interest/fee
  • Buy most of our furniture used (we will need a few things for the condo)
  • Buy no gadget that I don't need (laptop/phone/tablet)
  • Go outside with the dog more often
  • Start jogging
  • Do either a 5k obstacle course like Warrior Dash, Run for your lives or a 10k race
  • Save for a vacation and pay cash for once

These goals should all the fairly easy to reach as long as we are both dedicated to our new habits. I'll throw in a couple harder ones :

Stretch goals:
  • Stop using the car for work and use the metro instead
  • Get rid of the car early (leased car) and either live without or buy a used car
  • Change job so that I can walk/bike or work at home
  • Run a half-marathon
  • 5k in RRSP

Debbie M

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
I don't even know how hard I'm going to look for work yet.  I've got a contract for half-time work for five months.  That job moved my pension up so I can start collecting four years from now.

If I never get another paying job, I can live off that salary plus my no-job savings (6 months worth so far) plus my Roth IRA contributions and make it to my pension.  I'd really rather keep adding to my IRA (I've maxed it since Roth IRAs were invented) than to take from it, but then I sure like the idea of never working again.

I quit my long-term job at the end of 2011 (without having another job lined up).  Normally I'd rather punch myself in the face than do such a thing, but in this case, the situation was reversed.  I managed to line up so many half-time temp jobs last year that I worked full-time most of the year doing the same kind of work I had before (but with better bosses).  I'd love to get some more of these jobs and I have a couple of prospects, but they may not be able to find the money.

Two more years of those kinds of jobs would get me to my pension (because of the additional state service), so that's my ideal.  But if it doesn't happen, what kinds of work will I be willing to do in order to keep from drawing down my savings?  Not much is looking good.  The most fun sounding jobs pay very little.  That includes part-time or temporary jobs I've held in the past (such as scoring math teacher certification exams, being a summer camp counselor, tutoring at Sylvan).  And it might be fun to train for and get a job at one of those tax-prep places (but I've read that the pay is low, you don't get many hours, and you're supposed to do some kind of weird hard selling).  It might be fun to work retail at one of the places within walking distance of my house, except super low pay and apparently there are still plenty of headaches to go around.  My boyfriend has an idea for a tool case I can sew (for a specific set of tools that doesn't come with a good case) and sell online.  If I get my sewing machine working again.  I have an idea for a blog and for a book (which might pay zero).

I'm thinking if I don't have anything by March, I should try to have some back-up plans ready to start.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Two more years of those kinds of jobs would get me to my pension (because of the additional state service), so that's my ideal.  But if it doesn't happen, what kinds of work will I be willing to do in order to keep from drawing down my savings?  Not much is looking good.  The most fun sounding jobs pay very little.  That includes part-time or temporary jobs I've held in the past (such as scoring math teacher certification exams, being a summer camp counselor, tutoring at Sylvan).  And it might be fun to train for and get a job at one of those tax-prep places (but I've read that the pay is low, you don't get many hours, and you're supposed to do some kind of weird hard selling).  It might be fun to work retail at one of the places within walking distance of my house, except super low pay and apparently there are still plenty of headaches to go around.  My boyfriend has an idea for a tool case I can sew (for a specific set of tools that doesn't come with a good case) and sell online.  If I get my sewing machine working again.  I have an idea for a blog and for a book (which might pay zero).

I'm thinking if I don't have anything by March, I should try to have some back-up plans ready to start.

Are you any good at writing? Good freelance writers can make $50/hr plus. See howtomakealivingwriting.com and wellfedwriter.com. If you want to join the Freelance Writing Den, please PM me because I get a free month's membership if you sign up ($25 and well worth every penny).  freelancewritersden.com.

Debbie M

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »
Are you any good at writing? Good freelance writers can make $50/hr plus. See howtomakealivingwriting.com and wellfedwriter.com. If you want to join the Freelance Writing Den, please PM me because I get a free month's membership if you sign up ($25 and well worth every penny).  freelancewritersden.com.

I have above average writing skills (that's not saying much!), but have not written for money.  Thanks for the ideas, though.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »
2013 Goals

Financial
Save 50% of income - saving about 70% so far
Max out 401K - 77% of the way there
Eat out max once per month - averaging out to 4 times a month
Find a new job
Start a small side business - in the incubation phase
Change to a cheaper phone plan - Done, yay!

Health
Workout 20 mins every day (Running or HIIT) - biking to work every day, may have to bump the HIIT down to 7 mins
Climb 5.11 - not so good, climbing gyms are too far away
Only bike/walk to get groceries or for errands around town - so far so good

Personal
Learn/read about investing
Learn/read about real estate
Start a bi-weekly movie/hiking/game/meal gathering with friends - established weekly brunch with one friend, want to expand this
Do Project 333 for clothing for the whole year
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:57:40 PM by Miss Stachio »

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
Here are my big plans for 2013; I can't wait to kick some derriere! 
http://www.millionaireeducator.com/2013/01/2013-goals.html

Dianas Report

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
I have really enjoyed reading through everyone's goals.

My 2013 Makeover

Financial
Contribute $11,000 to Roth IRA, $6000 TSP
Donate to charities I believe in & church
Make $$$ in side income

Health
Eat more 80/10/10, desirable Goal: Vegan
Eat out 10 times or less (only for special occasions)
Lean, stretch, tone my body
Meditate (take deep breathes & clear your mind)

Personal
Be a kinder & uplifting person/Friend, loving & helpful Wife, loving & inspirational Mom & Teacher
Try guiding my thoughts the direction I want them to go
Spend my time doing something more productive & exciting
Be grateful and enjoy this miraculous life you have, I'm alive!

My Thoughts:
Spending $$ brings temporary happiness, a initial trill that fades quickly and then that "high" is over and needed to be replaced by a better & newer "high". Do things that involve not spending money at all. The most enjoyable things I love to do are free!! Like reading a good book on a pretty picnic blanket, under a magnificent tree, watching the sun's ray's peak through and listening to the birds chirp. I love hiking or relaxing at the beach and playing games with my son & hubby.

Find and do things that bring you joy right now!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »
Great thread! Even though I'm not good at making goals and it's already April, I'll see what I can come up with:

- figure out what to do with my life / craft a good escape plan from my current workplace (maybe even escape this year)
- continue helping my partner with his hobby (which has the potential to lead to a career change for him)
- keep up with my blogging (one post a week)
- maintain current fitness levels (high intensity exercise once a week, low intensity a few times a week)
- maintain my green smoothie habit
- minimize clutter, donate or sell off some stuff
- invest more in share market
- seriously need to catch up with my list of to-dos/errands
- keep an eye out on the property market for a good deal

Basically pretty happy with some things and just need to maintain them, but other things need improvement and hopefully I will make progress this year.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
An update on my goals

Thinking about my 2013 goals here is what I came up with.

1) Quit my job and move to a more affordable locale
2) Lose 15 pounds (220 down to 205) 6'4''
3) Spend more time with my wife
4) Reduce families grocery budget $100 per month by reducing eating out (from $500 to $400).
5) Increase bike commuting (from 1-3x per week to 3-5x per week)
6) Call my parents at least 1x a week
7) Re-institute monthly game night with my friends
8) Purchase a house (contingent on moving)
9) Update estate plan (could be accomplished in 2012)
10) Start 529 plan for my son (could be accomplished in 2012)

1) Moving forward, my last day is in June.
2) Complete
3) Mixed
4) Failing
5) Mixed - riding more commuting less
6) Doing it
7) Have not done it
8) Contingent on #1
9) Complete
10) In the works. Money is set aside, but since we are moving to a new state we will not be doing a California 529.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

4) Reduce families grocery budget $100 per month by reducing eating out (from $500 to $400).

4) Failing

[/quote]

We had a grocery budget of $400 for a while (2 adults, 10 yo, 8 yo), but we bumped it up to $500. This includes household items, too, and we were having trouble sticking to it. So, I just gave in and increased it to $500. It does not include restaurants, eating out or other forms of entertainment.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
i only have one goal right now and that is to have 10,000 in savings by dec.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
An update on my goals

10) In the works. Money is set aside, but since we are moving to a new state we will not be doing a California 529.

I think you can invest in any state's 529 plan while living in any other state, and use the funds for colleges in yet again any other state. Or am I mistaken about this?

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
An update on my goals

I think you can invest in any state's 529 plan while living in any other state, and use the funds for colleges in yet again any other state. Or am I mistaken about this?

Yes, but some states (not CA) permit (some) deduction from state taxable income for contributions by state residents to that state's 529 plan, so someone who moves from California to, say, Oregon, would have good reason to switch.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
2013 Goals

ongoing yearly goals:
increase net worth by 100k minimum (stretch goal: 150k)
pay down 20k of mortgage
max out 401ks

major one-time goal:
finish capstone project to complete Master's degree

lower priority:
invest in total international vanguard fund
get predictive modeling work experience
get pistol permit
replace grad school with fun activities: join local choir group, hiking group, volunteer at library, etc.
replace grad school with income-generating side activities: teach class at local university, contract work for ETS

Hoho!  I am graduating this month, so major goal for the year is finished.
I have also invested in total international and have a predictive modeling job, so that's two of my lower priority goals knocked off also.  A little ahead of schedule on financial goals, and next up on the list is getting together with my (former) professor to set up the class I'll be teaching.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
1. Try at least one new recipe a week (work my way through a cook book), helping me to expand my cooking skills and decrease the temptation to buy prepared foods.

1. Not doing so well on this one.
2. Success so far, averaging 3-4 days per week.
3. Still checked :-)
4. Am going to count a second part-part time job as one of these.  The other won't answer my e-mails and a the other avenue majorly conflicts with my schedule.
5. Got one raise already and changed roles.  Another raise is in the pipeline.  And I didn't even have to ask! 
6. Does game night with the bf count? 
7. Goes in spurts.
8. Working on it . . . that was highly ambitious to start with but the year is still young.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
Update!
  • Reach a 40% savings rate by March 31 and a 50% savings rate by June 30: Part 1 done, onwards to part 2!
  • Go to two open houses per month for real-estate research: We've only been to two total, but it's a start...
  • Net $3K through a side business: Haven't even started thinking about this.
  • Chat twice weekly with my fiance about budget/money/goals/etc.: It's more like once a month. We need to ramp up.
  • Work with my fiance to clean up his credit: Haven't pulled this yet. D'oh.
  • Clean up my eating (I'm kickstarting with Whole30: no sugar, dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, etc., for a whole month): Yes, finally, another strikethrough! I completed Whole30 and have since cut out grains, legumes, and added sugar entirely. I've also stopped eating as much meat and, thus, way more vegetables. Feeling pretty great.
  • Take an art workshop
  • Find a fitness thing I like (thinking about getting a NYC Fitness Passbook for this): I'm waiting for a good deal to pop up on a climbing gym by me. I'm down to running once a week, but have been walking a lot more in my day-to-day.
  • Restart my personal blog: Nope.
  • Meet with a career counselor: I'm meeting with a psychotherapist who used to be a career counselor, so let's just mark this off.

TansyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
Also late to the game. In 2013 I plan to:
1) Get a real job. Preferably an entry level position in software engineering/web dev (anyone need a paid intern for html/css/python?)
2) Get my own website into gear (must. write. more. content.)
3) Maintain or improve on 60% savings rate
4) Keep eating Paleo/Primal
6) Keep up with weight lifting 3x a week
7) Walk more for recreation
8) Set up investment account

earlyFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »

1. Not doing so well on this one.
2. Success so far, averaging 3-4 days per week.
3. Still checked :-)
4. Am going to count a second part-part time job as one of these.  The other won't answer my e-mails and a the other avenue majorly conflicts with my schedule.
5. Got one raise already and changed roles.  Another raise is in the pipeline.  And I didn't even have to ask! 
6. Does game night with the bf count? 
7. Goes in spurts.
8. Working on it . . . that was highly ambitious to start with but the year is still young.

Thanks for the update. Love to hear how people are doing. Congrats on your success!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
Goals for 2013...

-Increase Net Worth from Slightly negative to $50k+\
-Get completely out of debt
-Bike to work 98% of the time
-Put less than 100 mi/month on our car except trips home to see our parents
-Get married!!! :)

To be honest, none of these are going to be huge stretch for us, but I'm comfortable with the progress we're making :)

#1-Well on track, up to $25k, $30k by month end
#2-Done except one student loan that isn't accruing interest; we're saving up to pay it off when my IBR ends
#3-Snow defeated me more than expected and winter drug on forever, but I've been doing well since the 1st of April
#4-I haven't been tracking this, but I think we're doing ok. I should revisit & keep better tabs; we could definitely still drive less.
#5-Not yet, only 9 days to go!!!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »
My goal for 2013 was to read a book a week. While immersed in a bio of Catherine the Great, I realized I would not meet this goal. If one reads 400-page books, it's not easy to meet that once-a-week goal!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »

Sell house (on the market now, lots of lookers)
Sell second car
Move

Pay off 5K of credit card debt
Max out 401K
Save for a down payment (25K)

Embrace the biking/athletic culture of our new town 
Save 40% of take home pay

Making progress! 

Sold our house, sold our second car, moved across the country to a dream location.  Done, done, and done.  Whew!

Credit card paid off.
Maxed out the 401 K. 
The down payment fund grows.  We have 7K of our 25 K goal. 

Leaning to bike and walk everywhere we can.  This can be a little tricky with four kids, but I am leaving the minivan behind more and more.   And we have been taking a family hike every weekend, which is fabulous. 

We are well on our way to saving 40% of our take home pay, may be closer to 50%.  June is our first, full month living here, so I am still working out the details of our new life, but it is looking good. 

Now that all of the cleaning and moving (craziness!) is done, I am free to just coast comfortably for a while.  We have our plan in place, just need to follow it.  And while I busted ass to get myself where I am right now, I am super grateful to MMM and the support of the community here. 

We are living an awesome new life!