Author Topic: The Physical Therapy/Gentle Movement Accountability & Resources Thread  (Read 38913 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: The Physical Therapy/Gentle Movement Accountability & Resources Thread
« Reply #250 on: January 01, 2023, 08:59:33 PM »
@Dollar Slice I read the good news on your journal that you found a way to get through your event. Hooray! Here's hoping that resuming your routine goes smoothly.

@Mal(formed)cat best of luck!

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz sorry about your illness and cancelled plans. An extra bummer at the holidays. Yoga is an interesting though. Maybe I'll try to incorporate some this month.

@mspym sounds very achievable!

After the PT appointment, I had a two-day childish self-sabotage rebellion where I did virtually no stretching and definitely no exercise or icing. I am feeling it now in the form of additional tightness, along with regret.

Have tried a few of the new exercises and they are not bad. Do not have full range of motion as shown in the pictures, but can stop when it hurts.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2023, 10:18:12 PM »
Did the full array of standing exercises while waiting for the boys at the airport.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2023, 12:14:16 AM »
@Dollar Slice I read the good news on your journal that you found a way to get through your event. Hooray! Here's hoping that resuming your routine goes smoothly.

Thanks :-)  I absolutely did not get back into it today. I took my walk and did one of my stretches. I have been super sore in a lot of weird places (aside from the back I've got inexplicably aching hips, shoulders, neck and now one calf after I got a charlie horse today on the stairs) - I'm mainly trying not to aggravate anything into becoming a real injury or some kind of chronic whatever-it's-trying-to-be. I think I'll keep trying to do additional short walks since that seems to be helping my back a lot and I suspect the other stuff is all tied into that. When your back ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2023, 03:50:15 PM »
I am recovering from covid so very little actual PT happened for the last 6 - 8 days.  I have been trying to keep up with the breathing and relaxation - if only to think about it while I am resting. I am having trouble actually doing the routine and need to make sure I am doing it properly. I need to test negative tomorrow because I have an appointment at 9am on the 4th. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2023, 01:53:37 AM »
Yesterday I was too damn tired from hanging wallpaper all day (and not getting finished), so I took a day off for the first time since I finally got my PT ass in gear. Back on track today, because this thread exists. Thanks y'all!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2023, 08:25:37 AM »
Back on the horse as of today. PT / PT-like-activity in the last ~10 days:

12/24 - PT @ hotel (flight delay)
12/25 - PT @ hotel (another flight delay)
1/1 - yoga
1/3 - PT

So a significant gap. Did spend a lot of time with my 8-year old nephew, so there was some exercise that week, just not the targeted PT stuff I need to do. Didn't really have any issue with the workout today, and have followup with both doctor and physio - leg is feeling significantly better (was even better yet before my week off), so I guess this has probably worked.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2023, 10:30:27 PM »
Did the full array of standing exercises while waiting for the boys at the airport.

👏👏👏 Excellent use of down time!

@Dollar Slice a walk and a stretch is great! You have a delicate balance to navigate right now. I would not be surprised to learn that some of the other aches that are piling on are due to the back. It is so central*! The walks are like prescribed PT for you right now.

*pun intended

@Frugal Lizard Sorry to hear you are battling Covid on top of the other ongoing issues. I see that you are doing what you can, but need the expert guidance from the next appointment to keep you on track. 🤞 that you test clear before your appointment.

@Dicey rest is important in the routine, too! I am also super grateful for this thread, it is a major help in keeping me on track and motivated.

@dandarc great to hear that your pause didn't set you back. PT absolutely works! I hope you soon feel like a 21 year old again 😁

Once again, thanks to all who are or have participated. This has been a great source of support and motivation for me, and hopefully for each and every one of you, as well. I can't believe we are on 6 pages already. Good job everyone, keep going till you blow past your goals!

Well, I have not fully and gracefully recovered from my little hissy fit rebellion as I would have liked. But still picking away at all the activities even if not getting them all done "perfectly." Today was one set of everything, plus random amounts of several of the stretches. Found a place to anchor the resistance band for the newest exercises (shoulder height), so that was how finally made it all the way through a set. So much easier once all the set up stuff is figured out.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2023, 11:45:54 PM »
@Dollar Slice a walk and a stretch is great! You have a delicate balance to navigate right now. I would not be surprised to learn that some of the other aches that are piling on are due to the back. It is so central*! The walks are like prescribed PT for you right now.

*pun intended

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the sore hips are tied in to the core muscles being out of whack. Not sure about the shoulders (kind of deltoid area), they have both been a bit sore for no apparent reason, and hurting when I reach for things at certain angles. (I have also been having some other weird stuff that seems definitely unrelated to my back, like rashes and peripheral nerve stuff. I think my body is just angry at me.)

I did some exploratory PT today, hopefully I will feel OK tomorrow. Did my stretches and balance exercises, extra gently. My legs are soooo tight, I couldn't even get fully in the correct position because my back is still not right (even though it's a lot better). And the balance exercises felt really hard when I did them on 'easy mode'. Took an 1.5 mile walk and did ~15min of easy pedaling just to see if it would bother my back (it isn't a great seat in general so I haven't been doing it while my back is on the fritz).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 04, 2023, 09:19:11 AM »
Still down with covid.
PT appointment moved to Monday Jan 8th.

Am able to do the breathing / relaxation exercises in bed when I am falling asleep or wake up in the night.  I flipped the order of them as I tend to fall asleep before doing the third exercise. Problem solved by doing it first.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
Thanks for putting this thread together @oneday !

Two days in a row now with PT done this morning. Actually a "priorities" win for me today - very late start this morning, and would have been late to work (of course nobody here actually cares) even without the ~45 minute workout, but I did it before heading in to the office anyway.

Follow up appointment with the doctor is tonight - to decide whether further imaging is in order or if in good enough shape without that. Suppose it is on me to decide whether I'm happy with the progress or not. About 5 hours to figure it out.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
I got sick over the holidays and admittedly did no PT, or really exercise of any kind. After about a week of that everything hurt. I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Not exactly a banner start to 2023. Sigh.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2023, 02:42:11 PM »
Continuing with my micro-stints of yoga and breathwork. Hips--they are so helpful but sometimes also need to loosen up a bit!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2023, 08:39:09 PM »
@Dollar Slice that's a lot all at once! Sending good vibes that you feel OK tomorrow and can continue to work your way out of this current circle of hell.

@Frugal Lizard Oh sorry about the postponement, darn Covid. But 🥇 problem solving!

@dandarc you're welcome! Thanks for playing along at home. I really depend on you all. Let us know how the appointment turns out.

@FrugalShrew Sorry to hear you were under the weather, then feeling the pain. No, not a great start to the year, but you have a lot of room to make progress!

@Serendip Good job staying steady with your practice. It's more than I've done the last week+.

Halfway through all sets/reps today, which is more than I've done in nine or ten days (need to look at the chart). But realized today that the PT rearranged sets/reps in the program. It is less rigid, and that is doing wonders for my motivation.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2023, 05:59:13 AM »
I haven't done PT all week.

Leading up to surgery, it's kind of like lipstick on a pig, and I've been so sick from pre-op meds. Plus PT is very meditative for me, and my head is not somewhere I'm prepared to spend time right now.

I've kept moving a lot though. DH distracted me by helping me with a home rebo project since I can't really do ladders right now. Small home projects are like my go-to for exercise, lol. I just keep taking on more projects because they involve me spending hours on end gently moving around, often standing or sitting in place for lengths of time, and constant upper body movement.

So no PT this week, but my living room ceiling looks absolutely stunning. Lol.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2023, 09:17:16 AM »
Funny thing happened - I was feeling so much better that upon return from holiday travel, I decided to add a 30 minute walk to daily routine. And started using stairs more at work (just 3rd floor). And walking into the re-check appointment last night, my leg started hurting again in a similar way to what prompted the whole thing in the first place. Guy thinks it is just a muscle strain this time and was reluctant to order further imaging or anything like that given had the appointment been one day earlier I'd have told him I felt like I was at 80-90%.

Anyway, day 3 in a row of morning PT workout and I have an appointment with the physio tomorrow. One possible monkey wrench in the works: if I decide to continue with PT appointments, our insurance changed, so I can stay at current PT place for a $66 / session "cash customer" rate or pay $50 copays at another place (happens to be located at the gym I have a membership at). I actually checked that the place I've been going is in-network and found that it was before making the insurance change, but I didn't delve into sufficient detail - the clinic / doctor side of it is in-network, but the PT practice in the same building is not. Whoops.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2023, 10:33:09 AM »
Did the lifting side of my PT but stubbornly only half the warm-up and cool down. I'm committed to fitting in the rest of the movement exercises tomorrow instead.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good youtube of leg stretches to increase flexibility and reduce stiffness after squats?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »
Did pretty well with PT today. Only about 15 minutes' worth, but they were 15 good minutes, so I'm pleased. I was able to significantly reduce the muscle pain that had developed, from a combination of learning over this past year what helps and prioritizing appropriately today.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2023, 08:33:55 AM »
managed the stretching and relaxation morning and night and a slow 10 minute walk on the treadmill.

@FrugalShrew - isn't the brain/body incredible? Blows me away when I can start out with all the soreness and then suddenly - POOF - it is gone. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2023, 10:47:10 PM »
Really struggling with migraines this week (five days in a row) and still having back issues, but doing my best... walked every day and did additional short walks a couple of times since it helps my back. I also did some easy pedaling a couple of days, including ten whole miles today since, according to rumors that our insider sources refused to confirm, our only walking for the day MAY have been to the local pizza shop to pick up dinner because, and you can quote me on this, five days of migraine puts me in full-on "fuck it" mode.

Half-hearted attempts at stretching/balancing exercises have been done. I am still so stiff and sore it does not feel like I'm accomplishing much. I wish I knew what would make me limber up. Maybe I should try getting really drunk :-P

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »
appointment yesterday + at home workout today. 5 days in a row. Thinking guy was right about the thigh pain on Tuesday just being a strain - has not returned yet.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »
Got my new PT routine today and it is literal torture.

I'm taking today off, except for the foot pumping exercise to prevent clots, but starting tomorrow, I do brutal torture exercises 3 times a day.

Ready to kick my own ass.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2023, 02:46:31 PM »

I'm taking today off, except for the foot pumping exercise to prevent clots, but starting tomorrow, I do brutal torture exercises 3 times a day.

Ouch.  I guess in your case no pain no gain is true.  Will you have a PT supervising?  IF it is going to hurt that much it might be hard to figure out where oh that is brutal shifts to that is too brutal.

And clots are no fun.  A clot put a friend in ICU instead of just being in hospital for a gall bladder infection.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2023, 03:12:44 PM »

Ouch.  I guess in your case no pain no gain is true.  Will you have a PT supervising?  IF it is going to hurt that much it might be hard to figure out where oh that is brutal shifts to that is too brutal.

And clots are no fun.  A clot put a friend in ICU instead of just being in hospital for a gall bladder infection.

I have no idea what the supervision will be, but everything is brutal right now.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2023, 01:07:14 PM »
@Metalcat, I'm sorry! I hope the payoff will be worth it!

I went back to pelvic floor PT and got my new exercises. Some of them are things I've been doing for months and months for other reasons (most notably, clamshells) but whatever, I'll keep at it, and there were a couple of new things (squats).

I made myself a chart to hang on the fridge to keep track of everything. Some things are once a day, some are twice, some are three times a week so it gets a bit muddled and I wanted to be better able to hold myself accountable!

I'm also doing the 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene challenge. I've been making time in the morning before work, which is great!

The Boy's mother fell on New Year's Day and fractured her femur. I am seriously concerned that she will never be really independent again, and she's only 71. She also doesn't really have money for long-term care. Especially as I just had a baby at 41 so could find myself an older grandma (if I am so lucky), this has me thinking a lot about what I want my later years to look like and what I can do to achieve that.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2023, 01:20:55 PM »
Sunday did yoga, today PT exercises - counting as now 7 days in a row. The setback last week does seem to have been temporary for me.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:23 PM »
Went to PT appointment today. I have not been since Dec. 8th.  And I have been OK. Up until December 8th I was going weekly - and some weeks was counting down the days until my next appointment. For several months I went twice a week. Going a whole month - and without pain and hardship is such a milestone.

And Ms. Brilliant PT said: book the next appointment in 2-3 weeks.  And if I need to come sooner, just call her and she will fit me in. 
She has changed up my program again because "the muscle relaxation is no effort at all now." WOOHOOO!

The practice has an exercise class starting in two weeks. I am not ready for that yet but I might be in April for the next session.  Now I just have to get back to respiratory capacity that I had before Covid so I can work on endurance and strengthening.

I have updated my exercise check list spread sheet. I can't believe how motivating a check mark on a spread sheet is for me.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2023, 10:20:16 PM »
Really struggling with migraines this week (five days in a row) and still having back issues, but doing my best...

It's not really related to physical therapy, but I wanted credit from you guys for making a neurologist appointment today after my week-long stabby migraine finally subsided. I was fully dragging ass all day after having a lot of energy yesterday (relatively speaking) but finally made myself go out for a walk at 10PM after being glued to the couch from about 3:30-9:30. No PT yet but I might still get to it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2023, 08:20:22 AM »
Really struggling with migraines this week (five days in a row) and still having back issues, but doing my best...

It's not really related to physical therapy, but I wanted credit from you guys for making a neurologist appointment today after my week-long stabby migraine finally subsided. I was fully dragging ass all day after having a lot of energy yesterday (relatively speaking) but finally made myself go out for a walk at 10PM after being glued to the couch from about 3:30-9:30. No PT yet but I might still get to it.

Gold star to you!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2023, 12:07:29 PM »
Gold star to you!

+1, great job @Dollar Slice!

Thanks! :-)  I got my PT done last night before bed, too. And some pedaling.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2023, 12:45:08 PM »
I did some of all the PT - a win! All the exercises, sets, reps and holds are all goals ---> if I can do them all at one time, then I need harder / different PT. 

I cannot do some of the new exercises at all, YET.  But I tried them.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2023, 03:31:53 PM »
I did my exercises today, please give me a prize.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2023, 04:06:25 PM »

Congratulations! You get a prize! It is a body that functions better than yesterday!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2023, 04:35:54 PM »

How about a gold star!  And a sticker.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2023, 06:24:22 PM »

**applause**

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2023, 06:25:31 PM »
Still keeping up with my daily micro-doses of yoga & breathwork. I like giving myself a 5 minute minimum--and then seeing how long I'll actually do. Today was closer to 15 min :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2023, 06:37:30 PM »
Visited the gym I have selected and made an appointment to be assessed next week

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2023, 08:00:37 PM »
Congratulations! You get a prize! It is a body that functions better than yesterday!
Wow! It's just what I have always wanted! Thank you!
How about a gold star!  And a sticker.
I will put them in my sticker book.
**applause**
*curtseys ever so gracefully on a mildly more bendy ankle*

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »
Missed Tuesday Wednesday and today is not looking good either. Wife's birthday was Monday, so we went out / stayed out too late and that has me all discombobulated. And we're travelling this weekend for a graduation celebration in the family, but I'll do my best to do the PT exercises tomorrow before we leave the half-way hotel we'll be driving to tonight.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2023, 08:50:04 AM »
Keeping up with the program. 

This morning I noticed more capacity for movement. Covid lungs are improving.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2023, 08:52:08 AM »
Yesterday was my most excruciating day, but I had to force my leg through PT because if I don't, the muscles try to twist my leg back to where it was and it gets all twisted and contorted.

So yesterday, PT was barfingly painful, but the only thing that would help.

Today, thanks to all of the PT yesterday, I am much more comfortable and have a modicum of mobility, which is a HUGE improvement.

So today I'm being very diligent with PT. I can do almost all of the exercises, not voluntarily, I need to use a strap to guide my leg through the movements, but I couldn't do most of them at all a few days ago, so that's a big win.

PT is the only thing that is helping keep the insane swelling down, otherwise my leg puffs up like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man's.

I'm also taking "walks" with my crutches from the bathroom to the living room, so about 10 feet away, but that's also HUGE progress. I was barely able to get back from the bathroom without passing out, so little partial weight-bearing strolls around the living room feel like a major win.

I've always done a lot of PT, but for 2023 it's going to basically dominate my year.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
Keeping up with the program. 

This morning I noticed more capacity for movement. Covid lungs are improving.

Yay!  I am impressed at how quickly you restarted your PT efforts as you recover from COVID.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2023, 11:14:08 AM »
Yesterday was my most excruciating day, but I had to force my leg through PT because if I don't, the muscles try to twist my leg back to where it was and it gets all twisted and contorted.

Today, thanks to all of the PT yesterday, I am much more comfortable and have a modicum of mobility, which is a HUGE improvement.

So today I'm being very diligent with PT. I can do almost all of the exercises, not voluntarily, I need to use a strap to guide my leg through the movements, but I couldn't do most of them at all a few days ago, so that's a big win.

PT is the only thing that is helping keep the insane swelling down, otherwise my leg puffs up like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man's.

I'm also taking "walks" with my crutches from the bathroom to the living room, so about 10 feet away, but that's also HUGE progress. I was barely able to get back from the bathroom without passing out, so little partial weight-bearing strolls around the living room feel like a major win.

I've always done a lot of PT, but for 2023 it's going to basically dominate my year.

Fantastic. It’s always shocking how fast early progress can be, while later it can seem like a long unchanging slog.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2023, 11:15:44 AM »
I have been going to the gym (which isn’t PT), and some stretching (not enough), and occasional weights.  So I am at least getting in activity, which isn’t PT, but I think it helps more than doing nothing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2023, 11:46:09 AM »

Fantastic. It’s always shocking how fast early progress can be, while later it can seem like a long unchanging slog.

You get about 40 days of your immune system healing your soft tissues.

PT after the initial repair phase rarely heals anything, it just rebalances and strengthens things needed for better function. Usually a joint injury stops hurting with PT not because of repair, but because of improved mechanics.

That's why it takes so long. It's an incremental process of loosening certain structures and strengthening others to create better mechanical balance for better function and less strain/pain in the area of injury.

A lot of my PT will focus on rebuilding the muscle mass I'll lose in my right leg from having it hang uselessly for a few months.

However, my bone is also healing and that process takes a year, so those strengthening exercises will also help with the active bone healing. So win win.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2023, 07:39:55 PM »
It’s always shocking how fast early progress can be, while later it can seem like a long unchanging slog.

Ugh, yes. I am in that slog place (partially self-created by lack of doing exercises), and my motivation is almost nonexistant. You can tell, because I have been avoiding this thread.

Hope everyone is doing well. 🌟Gold stars🌟 for everyone who has checked in here more recently than the OP!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2023, 07:44:00 PM »
It’s always shocking how fast early progress can be, while later it can seem like a long unchanging slog.

Ugh, yes. I am in that slog place (partially self-created by lack of doing exercises), and my motivation is almost nonexistant. You can tell, because I have been avoiding this thread.

Hope everyone is doing well. 🌟Gold stars🌟 for everyone who has checked in here more recently than the OP!

This is why having an easy, "no excuses" PT routine is so critical for keeping the habit regular.

Frequency and consistency are what matter most, because PT is fundamentally a process of body recomposition, and that takes time.

PT is like healthy eating, it matters what you do on average. Fits and spurts do virtually nothing for your overall results. But a year of consistently doing *something* is pretty much guaranteed to produce substantial gains.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2023, 11:14:29 PM »

This is why having an easy, "no excuses" PT routine is so critical for keeping the habit regular.

Frequency and consistency are what matter most, because PT is fundamentally a process of body recomposition, and that takes time.

PT is like healthy eating, it matters what you do on average. Fits and spurts do virtually nothing for your overall results. But a year of consistently doing *something* is pretty much guaranteed to produce substantial gains.

Well, I've sorta done one of the stretches a bit more consistently, because it feeeels good. Hopefully it will be enough to eventually make a difference.

I'm also deciding (right now) to do all the reps of both of the exercises in one giant set, on a lower resistance band. At least then they will get done.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2023, 11:45:38 PM »
I did a yoga session this morning and have spent idle time stretched out my glutes and ankles.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2023, 02:24:14 AM »

Well, I've sorta done one of the stretches a bit more consistently, because it feeeels good. Hopefully it will be enough to eventually make a difference.

I'm also deciding (right now) to do all the reps of both of the exercises in one giant set, on a lower resistance band. At least then they will get done.

Yes, make it easy and enjoyable until it's such an ingrained habit that it's no big deal to throw in the stuff you don't enjoy.

A decade from now, you will be better off if you did 6 months of lame, only marginally helpfully PT daily and then 9.5 years of solid PT every other day, rather than fits and spurts of diligent PT for a few weeks at a time here and there over a decade.

Until you crack how to make it a habit, you won't get much benefit. The habit matters more than the exercises at the beginning.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!