Author Topic: The Internet Sewing Circle  (Read 40917 times)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
Re: The Internet Sewing Circle
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
I made a baby bib the other night! Well, it's not 100% done; I still need to add Velcro. But it's basically done. I used one of my daughter's bibs as a template, and made it reversible. When it's completely done, I'll post a pic of her wearing it.

Then I'll make more.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
I have a nice black knit skirt that I adapted last year from a halter neck dress that was too tight and unwearable, that I trimmed the top off, shortened the zip and added a line of elastic to the inside of the waist, between the skirt and lining. I like it, with the exception of the zipper head being bulky and uncomfortable at the back of my waist when I'm sitting. This morning before work I unpicked the zip and detached the waist elastic. Tonight, I'll sew up where the zip was at the back, and relocate it to the left hip, then put the elastic back in inside.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »
Sewed a sunshine softie for part of a baby shower present.  With that practice in, I need to sew one more for my nephew now.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
I made each of my boys an adorable little costume for a medieval event we're attending.  I used up odds and ends of fabric, and made them each a light muslin undertunic, and an outer tunic (blue for one, green for the other).  They are super stinkin' cute, and it used up a chunk of muslin, and a chunk of blue cotton twill, plus some cream and gray seam binding. I also pulled my old costumes, and did a little work on my favorite to make it look better (recut the neckline, and stitched on brown linen binding).

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
I've done a few little mending and improvement jobs on wardrobe pieces in the last couple of weeks.

I made a pair of linen shorts from a Burda pattern a couple of summers ago, and the twin needle top stitching I'd done on the patch pockets was starting to come loose on one pocket, so I hand stitched that back in place.

I made a top from Silhouette Patterns 195 T shirt top in a bright circles print last year, and the neckline was popping a few stitches. Instead of just resewing it, I unpicked and trimmed the seam allowance back, and refinished the neckline with dark fold over elastic that picks out the darkest color in the print. The top looks much nicer now, with a bit of contrast to balance the bold print.

I had made a pair of flannel sleep shorts a while ago that I did a threaded through elastic casing for the waistband, but the elastic would always twist out of shape. I unpicked the channel, resewed the elastic directly to the top inside edge of the shorts with the overcast stitch on my sewing machine, then folded the elastic to the inside and topstitched with a honeycomb stitch. That made them much more comfortable. The top of the shorts had originally been serged anyway, so there was no chance of loose threads.

I also finally finished making another Silhouettes pattern that I was half way through last year before we moved house, which is Silhouettes 4014, Shelly's dress, which I made in a dusty rose pink viscose knit from Elliot Berman fabrics. Last year, I had assembled the bodice and most of the skirt and just had to finish putting it together and hemming. I wore it this week to work with a black cotton cardigan.

TrMama

« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
Finished up a pair of flannel sleep shorts for ODD last night. They match a freebie t-shirt she was given but never wears. So now she's got a new pair of spring PJs.

The night before I traced and cut out a pair of overalls and capris for YDD. She's been wanting overalls so she can dress as a minion for years. I can't easily find rtw overalls, so hopefully I'll finish these before she outgrows them. Did you know overall have eleventy-million pieces?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
On the docket for today and tomorrow is hemming 2 pairs of black dress pants for a customer and making 2 suit vests for my husband.  He likes wearing fancy vests occasionally but so far he only has 1 that I made him a year ago.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
I need to get in on this thread! I don't devote nearly enough time to my crafting and the WIPs (mostly knitting) and mending are piling up. I have a pair of yoga pants that I am nearly finished hemming--I should finish that this weekend, and then get started mending the sleeve on a cardigan. Hopefully I can get back into the habit of crafting and get to the point where I can actually make some of my own clothes. My poor sewing machine has been collecting a lot of cat fur...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
I've finished a puzzel quilt and started the top of my next quilt. So good to get through them! I have some fabric I was thinking of turning into an a-line skirt for work by copying one I currently have, but I don't want to fill my closet with new clothes after emptying it yet.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
A friend had given me a cream cotton jersey camisole that basically fit, but was much too long. I unpicked the stretch lace at the hem, cut 4 inches of the jersey off and resewed the lace trim back on with a zig zag stitch on the sewing machine. I also put a couple of little darts at the side of the neckline lace so it doesn't gape.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2015, 01:59:23 AM »
Im in.. love sewing by hand. But I keep myself so busy doing other things and haven't been sewing . I'm ready to get back into it.

Nancy

« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »
I did some boro/sashiko (japanese art of mending/embroidery technique) to cover a few holes on my favorite pair of jeans (the ones I keep patching). I used some crochet cotton thread because it's what I had and an embroidery needle. I can't believe how well it worked. It was also a lot of fun! I'm going to try it on my other cycling jeans.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
On the docket for today and tomorrow is hemming 2 pairs of black dress pants for a customer and making 2 suit vests for my husband.  He likes wearing fancy vests occasionally but so far he only has 1 that I made him a year ago.
These are all done.

The vests for DH turned out great!  My new sewing machine has a much better button hole feature than my old (now broken) machine had.

I also fixed DH's nice suit jacket and altered a dress for a paying customer yesterday.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
I threw down the gauntlet on my self in January. I have tons of fabric and supplies so I'm working to see how long I can last without buying anything. So far, I've only broken down once and bought a yard of fabric while on vacation.
The best part is, almost all of this sewing is for my etsy shop and I've made enough this year for 2 mortgage payments. I still have enough fabric to sew for years more without buying anything but I'll eventually run out of interfacing and zippers.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
I threw down the gauntlet on my self in January. I have tons of fabric and supplies so I'm working to see how long I can last without buying anything. So far, I've only broken down once and bought a yard of fabric while on vacation.
The best part is, almost all of this sewing is for my etsy shop and I've made enough this year for 2 mortgage payments. I still have enough fabric to sew for years more without buying anything but I'lle eventually run out of interfacing and zippers.

I don't buy supplies either ( except I might need zippers or I'll pull off other clothes). I've been recycling fabrics, blankets,clothing,lace, threads,needles passed down since I was s kid. Ppl hav always passed their sewing stuff down to me. I haven't acquired anything new in several yrs now, also did a big purge, but still hav enough for several projects. Also hav some items to alter :) . looking forward to this .

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
So many things to do! Shortening a pair of jeans and a pair of yoga pants. Shortening the bedroom curtains (they're pinned right now - so ghetto). Taking in a handful of tops. Mending all the holes in DH's wool biking jerseys.

I finally did this this week! Only five months after posting about it :P

Much of the rest of it hasn't been done either, except for most of the hole mending. I am bad at gauntlets.

TrMama

« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
The night before I traced and cut out a pair of overalls and capris for YDD. She's been wanting overalls so she can dress as a minion for years. I can't easily find rtw overalls, so hopefully I'll finish these before she outgrows them. Did you know overall have eleventy-million pieces?

Finally finished up the overalls last night. They're adorable. Also finished some even cuter denim capris for the same daughter. Too bad I can't convince her to wear them.

Next up is a pair of swim bottoms for me, some t-shirts for the kids and knocking out the remaining 3 items in my "not quite finished" pile.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
My sewing machine is in time out (or maybe I am).  I'm copying an old favorite pair of shorts, so no directions (and little experience).  I painstakingly sewed a complicated slash pocket...to the wrong side of the fabric.  Took as long to pick out as it did to sew it to begin with.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Freaked out about my wedding last night, so today I made new cushion covers? Productive procrastination.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
Finished my poorly fitting jeans into riffled skirt yesterday and wore it out in public today.  I'm sewwwwwing and it's fun! 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »
I do mixed media art.  Today I was sewing into a painting with illustrations on it .

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2015, 08:39:56 AM »
That's really cute, mc6!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
That's really cute, mc6!

YES!  That skirt is adorable!  AND it has POCKETS!  I may have to steal your (brilliant) idea. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
I'm sewing faux fur wraps for my bridal party this week. I haven't sewn with faux fur before so I hope it works out OK. YouTube has shown me how to cut it, which is a good start...

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
I found another queen size, high thread count flat sheet that we weren't using, and we were short on pillow cases, so I cut off a strip all along the top and made it into two pillowcases with one side seam and a bottom seam each. The edging even matched the other pillow cases, as they were from the same set.  I have more of the sheet left to make two more pillow cases, and the rest of the sheet will become dinner napkins, once I miter the corners and top stitch the edges.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
I got some clothes for free (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/$50-in-free-clothes!/), but they were purchased over the internet, so I couldn't try them on first.  Luckily (partially by design) the clothes were too big. 

Today I tailored two button up shirts to take out the excess fabric.  I also had to hem a pair of jeans.  They were three inches too long!  (I've never had THAT problem before).  :) 

Note:  Unfortunately, I think that link won't give you free clothes any more, but I think it might give you $25 off of $50. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: September 12, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
Just completed ten dresses and ten handbags . sewn and quilted by hand .

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
Riverffashion--10?!?  Wow, can you post any photos to inspire the rest of us?