Author Topic: The Internet Sewing Circle  (Read 40919 times)

Nancy

Re: The Internet Sewing Circle
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 09:35:47 AM »
I just patched the newest holes in our flannel sheets. It took all of five minutes (not including the time I thought about doing it over the past two weeks).

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
The last thing I need is more fabric but I could not resist when I was in JoAnn's the other night buying interfacing.  I found 60 inch USA made denim on the mark down rack.  With an additional coupon, it came out to be about $5 a yard.  I bought four yards--plenty for a couple of skirts with leftovers for other projects.  Amazing deal.

I made a zippered pouch bag for a gift today.  I plan on sewing some fleece mittens before the week is over.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
I have a question for more accomplished sewers...  I have 6 panels that need to be seamed to make two pleated drapes.  I'm covering a triple ganged window, so they're pretty wide panels.  They're cut so the pattern lines up vertically.  Is there a better way to make sure the pattern matches than just pin and hope?
I'd sew the seams on the inside of the pleats - you may need to trim the panels slightly to do this. That way the seams don't matter, you have removed the selvages (always a good thing) and also the slightly heavier place where the seam is doesn't show.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
I sewed buttons onto a cardigan and a skirt, while watching TED talks on my computer. Clearly I was keeping the mending in the wrong spot, it was much easier to settle in to do it when I had some videos to watch! They've been waiting for months.

Nancy

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
Nice anatidaev! You inspired me: I hemmed my work pants while watching a movie. Easypeasy! Then I patched two pairs of jeans(again).  Two Three projects down.

So I mentioned to some sewing friends that I repaired a hole in flannel sheets, and they looked at me like I was crazy. You would patch perfectly good flannel sheets, right?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:32:37 AM by Nancy »

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
Nice anatidaev! You inspired me: I hemmed my work pants while watching a movie. Easypeasy! Two projects down.

So I mentioned to some sewing friends that I repaired a hole in flannel sheets, and they looked at me like I was crazy. You would patch perfectly good flannel sheets, right?

Yes, I do mend things, with the caveat that the surrounding fabric must still be in good shape. I've found that with kid's jeans, for example, a hole is just the symptom of more overall wear, and any repair will soon tear out again. If that's the case, I don't bother.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
I need to do this, so thanks for the inspiration.

One very long hem on a black knit dress for one of the DD's.

A worn hole from wallet on DH's fav khakis; I can do an iron on patch on the inside and then do a very close, small zigzag on the outside in matching thread, like a scar.

Hole in fav pair of wool sox-- darning needed ( I like to darn)

Two flat pillows for metal chairs--I have the fabric (cut froman old white matelasse bedspread)

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »
Woot, my parents brought over my new sewing machine! Now I only have to make time to sit down and check what basic supplies might be missing, get them on my way to work this week and than: start sewing!

Nancy

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
Got some free pants (4 sizes too big) from a friend. Took them in, and they look fantastic! Free pants are the best.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
I just made several pairs of fingerless mittens from fleece.  They only take a few minutes and a bit of fabric to make, I was able to make 6 pairs from 1/2 yard of fabric that cost $2.50.

I love these things for working on my computer, cause my hands stay warm but I can still use my fingers to type and work the mouse.

2 pairs went to my dad's wife, so I still have 4 pairs to find a home for.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »
Nancy, how did you patch your flannel sheets?  My parents were going to toss/use for rags a flannel sheet.  Well I grabbed that right up and have to tackle it.  I'm looking for ideas.  I was going to cut a small piece of flannel and sew it over the hole, but I'm all excited to hear what you did.

Separately, I did sew the arm hole of my flannel pajamas.  I've had to sew it before so this time I decided to zig zag it and whip stitch it.  Hopefully it will hold.  If not, it may be time to toss or use for a rag.  Thinking about how I had posted this was something I was going to tackle this weekend, made me feel more responsible to make good on my post.  So thanks for keeping me honest.  I even was able to wear my nice and newly fixed arm hole pjs to bed.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
Traditionally, if flannel sheets are worn out it is usually in the middle, so you cut them in half, and sew them together again with the outside in the middle. That's how all the sheets used to be in my house. If there is a hole (as against wear) you patch the hole.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
I just made several pairs of fingerless mittens from fleece.  They only take a few minutes and a bit of fabric to make, I was able to make 6 pairs from 1/2 yard of fabric that cost $2.50.

Cute gloves! I love the fabric colors and patterns.

I did no sewing over the weekend; however, I did complete two projects that have been on my to-do list for EVER. I made a rope bowl to corral the dog's stuff (harness/leash/poop bags/etc) on the entry-way shelf and a mail caddy out of a cardboard box and scrapbook paper. I managed to only spend $7.95 for a can of spray paint, as I had all the other materials on hand.

I'm still researching sewing machines. If anyone has any suggestions for make/model, I would much appreciate it. In the meantime, I still plan to tackle hemming my new shower curtain. I think this weekend I'll go ahead and use iron-on hem tape to just get-er done, and then when I get my sewing machine I can go back over it with a proper hem.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
I'm not committing to a specific time per week, but I'm excited to do a bit more sewing this year.

Worked on a quilt this weekend (wedding present).  Its been a beast because I let the bride choose the fabric at her request and she didn't go with cotton (my strong suggestion) but rather shiny silk/polyester? that has vastly different stretchiness levels, which really shows up when the boxes don't line up neatly.  So I've been ripping out my work frequently.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Sounds good! I've been wanting to make a small, basic quilt with some fabric scraps I have lying around.

Like some others here I'm a big knitter but would like to do more seeing as well.

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 06:39:10 AM »
I've got a couple projects I've been putting off forever. Maybe this thread will give me some accountability!

Project #1 is reworking the sleeves on an awkwardly fitting jacket. I've been wearing it for years now with the sleeves safety pinned but now that I know how to use a sewing machine I think it's time to just fix it.

Project #2 is learning how to fix holes in socks. I'm sick to death of buying socks and then walking holes in the heels and needing to replace them. The rest of the sock is fine, just the heels disintegrate. If anyone's got any tips for this sort of repair, I'm all ears.

Nancy

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »
cut a small piece of flannel and sew it over the hole

Precisely this! It has held up and is not noticeable. I don't care how my sheets look, so it works for me. Good luck!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
Well, I finished my latest knitting project and I was all set to start a sewing project and...  my husband lost his hat.  The hat I just knit him 4 months ago.  Sigh.  He's got a spare, but I like to make sure he always has 2 hats because he goes through hats like I go through kleenex.  So I may have another knitting project before I can start sewing.  At least it's only a hat, it shouldn't take too long.  It's a good thing I love that man.  :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »

I love these things for working on my computer, cause my hands stay warm but I can still use my fingers to type and work the mouse.

2 pairs went to my dad's wife, so I still have 4 pairs to find a home for.
I took a pair of each color to a doctor's appointment, and my doctor bought one on the spot, plus she ordered a pair for her brother and paid for them as well!  She wanted more masculine colors for her brother, and a dog theme so he could use these at the dog park.  I guess he trains his dog there and regular gloves don't work because he can't get the treats out of his pocket with gloves or mittens on.

Sewed up a pair of brown ones with tan paw prints and mailed them off this morning.

If nothing else this supports my sewing habit a bit :-)

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »
Nancy,
I'm so glad you didn't say, darn the sheet.  Or do people only darn socks?  Cutting a small piece of flannel and sewing it over the hole -- that I can do, no problem.

You are all keeping me honest with my mending projects.  Thanks.  Now I'll have another set of flannel sheets to put into the rotation when needed.  I've already had to sew the current one back into service.  I love these projects where I can extend the life of my stuff.  It reminds me of my grandmother who would unravel a sweater she had made for A because she didn't like it, then she would use the same yarn and knit a different style sweater for B.  And I won't even mention her clothes customization.  That had it's own MMM flare before MMM was even born.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
I've got a couple projects I've been putting off forever. Maybe this thread will give me some accountability!

Project #1 is reworking the sleeves on an awkwardly fitting jacket. I've been wearing it for years now with the sleeves safety pinned but now that I know how to use a sewing machine I think it's time to just fix it.

Project #2 is learning how to fix holes in socks. I'm sick to death of buying socks and then walking holes in the heels and needing to replace them. The rest of the sock is fine, just the heels disintegrate. If anyone's got any tips for this sort of repair, I'm all ears.

I have used Amy D's sock repair technique for larger holes.  Basically you cut a circular patch out similar fabric and sew it on going around several times to make sure it's secure.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Inspired by Happypup's post about darning socks, I dug out one and tried to darn it the way my mother taught me.  However, the hole was too big to be manageable that way so I used the Amy D method which is actually a patch rather than a darn

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
I finished a faux sewing project today...got the iron-on hem done to (finally) complete the shower curtain for the downstairs bathroom. Once I purchase a sewing machine I plan to go back over it with a proper hem, but for now it's done and hanging up instead of folded in my project bin (where it's been for nearly a year).

sarah8001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 02:00:00 AM »
I'm a latecomer, but I'd like to join in. Everyone's projects are so awesome! At the beginning of the year I hauled out some fabric that I had begged for for my birthday two years ago, but been too afraid to cut into (I'm a very novice quilter). As I looked at it again, I realized it really reminded me of my fiance's grandma. I had planned to make a giant hexie quilt out of it, because I really enjoy handwork, and now I am tentatively planning on giving it to Grandma Sandy for Christmas 2015. We'll see if it gets done and if I can part with it when it's finished :)
Other sewing projects I'm hoping to finish this year:
More new skirts! I already have fabric cut for one, and with a coupon at Joanns I could afford to make several for the price of one store bought skirt.
Finish First Quilt - a quilt I've been working on on-and-off for four years (the first I ever started)
Sew curtains for our bedroom, cuz the ones that came with the house are FUGLY!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »
Went to the Goodwill bin store in the next town where the leftover are $1.49/lb.  Picked up a big batch of quilting remnants from expensive fabrics, the kind you see in the $9.00/yd. quilting stores.  They are currently in the washer.  Nothing from a thrift store comes into the house without being washed or otherwise treat to make sure I don't bring home bedbugs.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
I did some repair work last night - sewed a few buttons onto coats and a hook onto a jacket.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
DH requested that I hem the curtains in the guest bathroom.  Right now they hang down too far and cover up the toilet paper, so I can see his point...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »
Tell him that some people like to hide the toilet paper.

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
This weekend I finished all the mending I had to do.  I also used up some of the old jeans and made some pot holders.  In addition, I was thinking of how to use the waistband and came up with this idea: I cut it off just below the belt loops so they were intact and then hung it up in my kitchen length wise so I can hang spatulas and the like in the loops.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »
This weekend I finished all the mending I had to do.  I also used up some of the old jeans and made some pot holders.  In addition, I was thinking of how to use the waistband and came up with this idea: I cut it off just below the belt loops so they were intact and then hung it up in my kitchen length wise so I can hang spatulas and the like in the loops.

Those are really cute pot holders!  Are they jeans on both sides?  Do you ever stick your hand in the pocket when you use them (like a mitten)? 

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »

Those are really cute pot holders!  Are they jeans on both sides?  Do you ever stick your hand in the pocket when you use them (like a mitten)?

Yeah, they are jeans on both sides with some of that heat resistant padding you can get from a fabric shop in between.  And I definitely use the pockets as a glove type of deal.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »
Yeah, they are jeans on both sides with some of that heat resistant padding you can get from a fabric shop in between.  And I definitely use the pockets as a glove type of deal.

OMG that's brilliant!! 

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
I'm late, but I'd like to join!  I want to make some clothes and pajamas for the kids, and I have all the fabric already...just need to find time to sew!  I'm mostly a knitter, and I belong to a group elsewhere to "knit from the stash/finish WIPs", but part of that challenge for me is finishing sewing these clothes!  I have material to make a couple pairs of knit pants/knit tops for my daughter (age 2) and 4 sets of pajamas, 2 each for my daughter and son (age 4).  I would love to get to the point where I can pattern my own pants, but that may be a goal for the end of the year.  :)

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 05:29:53 AM »
I've finally wrapped up some mending tasks that have been hanging over me for literally YEARS. I reattached the epaulet on my trench coat, fixed the fraying strap of a handbag, and patched the hole in my husband's really nice flannel PJs so he can wear them this winter. Better late than never! I also put together the collage from an overseas trip that I meant to do over a year ago. Not sewing related, but all the supplies were sitting on my cutting table. It came out great! Don't know why I put it off for so long.

As part of one of the declutter challenges here, I've been pawing through all of my sewing stuff and pulling some out to donate. Things that I bought years ago and really have no intention of using. My sister in law has also expressed interest in learning to sew so I'm putting together a beginner box of notions for her. I've also got a vintage sewing machine that I've had for about two years that needs a new belt and cord replacement, and I just ordered the parts for it. Once we fix it up, we'll give it to her (it belonged to her grandmother, so I'm glad the motor still worked!) It will feel really good to pass that along too. It was destined for the dumpster until I was able to grab it.

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2015, 07:46:52 AM »
This is such a fun thread! I have two or three drawers of mending that needs to be finished up.

On the top of the pile are two sweaters I'm altering for my mom. One needs the sleeves hemmed about ten inches. The other needs more room in the sleeves. I'm going to try to finish up the second project by next Tuesday which is the next time I see her.

As far as darning socks goes, you may want to check out this article: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/FEATsum08TT.html which talks about darning as well as reinforcing new or slightly worn socks so that you may not need to darn them.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:02 AM »
I finally took the time to get acquainted with my new old sewing machine. A lot of grumbling and ripping of seams later, and I now have two beautiful pillowcases fitting my gifted pillows. With recessed zipper for extra fancy factor, and to practice for the lounge chair cover. This fabric was a leftover from our bedroom curtains, the yarn was leftover as well, so these pillows have cost us exactly zero euros. I had a lot of fun constructing the zipper portion, looking forward to more machine sewing in the future!

I fixed the bottom of the ripped dogs basket/pillow by hand. Next on the list are refitting a skirt, darning holes in sweaters and other small clothing repairs. Sometimes it is like the Items to fix keep piling up no matter what, so I get a bit discouraged. But if I just sit down and take a few minutes to get it over with, it's done in a matter of minutes.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »
When I buy sheets, they come in a pack with the fitted sheet and pillow cases that I use, and a flat sheet that we don't use, because we prefer duvet covers. Some time last year, I used two flat sheets to make into a duvet cover, but I still want to put buttons and buttonholes at the end, and sets of ribbons on the inside corners to tie the duvet to, so it doesn't shift. That is my repair project I want to get to this week. I have plenty of ribbon and the buttons already in my notions box.

I also have one more flat sheet left, in a nice smooth damask ivory cotton that I want to cut up into squares and miter hem into napkins. I'm not buying paper napkins any more, and I have a couple of fabric napkins that I bought, but they aren't cotton and they are not very absorbent. I think they are polyester.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
I'm 3/4 of the way through quilting the quilt!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
I am to report that I tackled my darning pile at last. Cheers to a fresh start.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
Quilting finished!

Binding machine-sewn to front, and 1/4 hand-sewn to back.

This thing may actually be done before the baby arrives and puts an end to my sewing productivity :)

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »
You guys are killing me.  I haven't done a bit of my sewing.  No sheet done or even mending.  I will make an effort to get it done within the next few nights.  Writing this down with all of you to see will hopefully be a good motivator.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »
I'm happy to report, I finished my mending.  Being responsible to (as they say in the US South) all y'all, kept me honest, and I did my mending. 

A couple of questions.  When do you decide something is past mending and just needs to be given a decent burial?  I have a nightgown that has underarm holes, and I've patched them up several times.  For the most part the rest is in good shape, but I keep having to patch the underarms.  If I do have to give it decent burial, i'm planning on cutting off the top part (from the underarm up) and using a small piece to patch my sheet, but does anyone have any ideas for the bottom part?  That's still in good shape.

One last question, when I patch my flannel sheet, should I patch on both sides, or is 1 enough?  And do I patch on the side I'm sleeping under or on the top?  (Yes, I'm a little obsessed and probably over thinking this.)  Thanks in advance for your help.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »
I need in on the circle.   Here's what I did this week, got a twin sized quilt top pieced for my daughter.  I'd like to get a back put together this week and possibly even get it basted.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »
Carrie I love your quilt design!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Very nice design - how did you get the idea?

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
Thanks! I have all kinds of quilt designs and ideas rattling around in my head & in my sketchbook.   This one I received blocks from my Bee after I gave some guidelines. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
I think I need a deadline for my project or I may be on here recommitting to the same thing over and over all year.

I commit to sewing the two pillow covers before February 15th.  Just writing that I can feel the joy of doing it and feeling accomplishment at getting it off my list!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
I'm happy to report, I finished my mending.  Being responsible to (as they say in the US South) all y'all, kept me honest, and I did my mending. 

A couple of questions.  When do you decide something is past mending and just needs to be given a decent burial?  I have a nightgown that has underarm holes, and I've patched them up several times.  For the most part the rest is in good shape, but I keep having to patch the underarms.  If I do have to give it decent burial, i'm planning on cutting off the top part (from the underarm up) and using a small piece to patch my sheet, but does anyone have any ideas for the bottom part?  That's still in good shape.

I give up on the mending when it looks like the mending is no longer working.  So, for armholes, when there isn't any decent fabric to hold the stitches anymore, or when sewing what is there would distort the fabric too wildly.  (although, tbh, I'd probably just wear the nightgown with holes and not bother to mend them at all).

Uses for the bottom half?  Well, it depends on what fabric it is made from - flannel?  I'd tend to bundle it up and put it in my stash for use as a small quilt liner, or for further mending.  Or cut it into cleaning rags.

One last question, when I patch my flannel sheet, should I patch on both sides, or is 1 enough?  And do I patch on the side I'm sleeping under or on the top?  (Yes, I'm a little obsessed and probably over thinking this.)  Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd do both, as it would be a) stronger and b) smoother, but again, it would depend on how big the hole was.  The last time I mended a sheet it was just a little L-shaped tear and all it needed was repeated zig-zagging with the machine.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »
And I'm here to report that the quilt is FINISHED!!!!!

I need to take some photos of it this morning, and my brother and his wife are coming over for coffee this afternoon, and I'll give it to them then!

YAY!!

I was sooooo close to throwing money at this unfinished project and paying to get it quilted, just so it would get DONE.  But thanks to this thread I actually knuckled down and completed it myself.  Thanks everyone :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
Congratulations HomeHandyMum.  You are the Sewing Thread Poster Child!!